Forum Settings
Forums
Oct 26, 2008 9:12 AM

NOTICE: This is only for those using http://alljapaneseallthetime.com ("AJATT")'s method. And, are in the sentence phase of that method.

The reason I'm doing this is because 1.) we all come from different tastes of media 2.) it's nice to share and 3.) this speeds up the process of gathering sentences. Plus, it gives people an opportunity to see some of the items you're learning from and if they like it, they can add it to their SRS and learn that sentence, too.

For the sake of consistency, I ask that you follow a simple format:

Front
Contents of the front-side of the card. If this contains audio and pictures instead of written text, then please make an effort to upload the content in a .zip folder and share it. If this is too much to ask, then you can just write the text version of the sentence and those who use it can come up with their own media.

Back
The contents of the back of the card. This includes and literal translations, interpretations, word definitions, pronunciations, etc.

Source
Cite your sources! If you are pulling from an anime, book, manga, etc. Say where you got it from. If there is no source, the sentence item will be removed from this thread.

This is not for posting sentences you make up. If you're learning from textbooks and/or classes, please don't post sentences you made up. I don't feel like sifting through them and worrying about them all being grammatically correct. (Which we've noticed quite a lot of in the "Practice your Japanese here" thread). So, to get this straight; this is for native Japanese sentences only. Thanks.

While we're on that note, please remember I've already listed sources for sentences on the front page. Do not replicate them here. It's error prone, and redundant.

Without further ado, どうぞ. ~
Modified by Zealous, Nov 3, 2008 8:20 AM

Nov 5, 2008 7:22 AM

I'm not using his method really, just like incorporating some of it like I don't know how to write the 2000 + kanji... yet.

front
まぁ、突っ込みどころはあるけど、それらを差し引いても、見る価値はあると思った。

back
突っ込み 【つっこみ】 (n) (1) penetration; digging into something; (2) straight man (in comedy); (3) retort; quip; (4) (id) rape;
差し引く 【さしひく】 (v5k) to deduct; ED

source is a mixi (Japanese version of myspace, or not really, but social networking site) entry that somebody wrote.

So I didn't put the translation but for the sake of anyone who can't quite make sense of his sentence it's like "Well, there was a rape scene [in the movie] but even if you deduct for that, there's still watch-value. (Mad literal translation I guess but).

I don't know put readings for kanji I already know how to read (Like I know I know it, that I won't forget so if you don't know
価値 is かち Value. Also I don't put grammar rules/info i already know.

Tae kim's a good crash course for grammar...
================
Here's a more simple but still FUN sentence

front
-お尻に黒子がある。
-そんな暴露して
真ん中

back
Dark mole ホクロ
disclosure/exposure バクロ

source
Utada Hikaru was on some show and she revealed this about herself.

I put 3 lines cause the 2nd 3rd lines relate to the first one and just seems easier to learn/retain vocab with words that are related to each other in this same context.

おしり = Butt
まんなか = Middle (This word is used to describe the location of her mole... Somebody asked her oh which butt cheek or something
Modified by midori-, Nov 7, 2008 6:30 AM

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Nov 5, 2008 8:24 AM

This one is for relative beginners. :P Those who are doing Heisig should be able to figure this out without any idea of what it really says, just by looking at the Kanji.

Front

にほんしょくれすとらんいきましたか。
(And/Or Audio playback).

Back

日本食レストラン行きましたか。
に・ほん・しょく・レストラン・い・きましたか。
lit. Japanese Food restaurant went?
"Did you go to any Japanese (Food) Restaurants?"

日本食 【に・ほん・しょく】 -(n) Japanese Food; Japanese Meal.

レストラン -(n) Restaurant

行きました 【い・きました】 -(v) to go (past tense); went.

か -(Prt.) Question Particle

Source
Native Japanese Person
Modified by Zealous, Nov 5, 2008 8:32 AM

Nov 7, 2008 3:12 AM

Shouldn't the front of the card contain the sentence with the Kanji?
Modified by ChaoticHoshi, Nov 7, 2008 3:16 AM
Sink... into Darkness!

Nov 7, 2008 6:20 AM

I guess if you do the front card with the kanji then you're practicing writing the kanji (reading the romaji and checking if you know how to write the kanji)

by doing what I did, you're seeing if you can read the kanji.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Nov 7, 2008 11:42 AM

ChaoticHoshi said:
Shouldn't the front of the card contain the sentence with the Kanji?

Sleepy's method is to see if you understand phonetically. You won't have the kanji when you hear Japanese. If you only write on the front in kana only, you can't just guess approx. what the sentence is saying because you don't rely on the kanji only.

Nov 7, 2008 12:15 PM

It is my understanding that when you read kana only, or hear it from an audio play back, and have to write it, that you will be competent in reading (because you can write it), listening, writing, and speaking it. Because you're suppose to read aloud or repeat the audio segment verbally.

It's the same idea as being given the meaning of the Kanji and having to write it for memory. You're given a phonetic transcription and are suppose to write the sentence for memory. Basically.

@midori- : Romaji is a crutch, I suggest never relying on it.

Nov 7, 2008 1:19 PM

sleepyday said:

oh i have the same view. i meant to write hiragana/katakana instead of romaji.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Nov 7, 2008 4:27 PM

midori- said:
sleepyday said:

oh i have the same view. i meant to write hiragana/katakana instead of romaji.

Ah, okay. My bad. :)

The only use for romaji should be learning the kana, in my opinion.

Nov 10, 2008 3:24 PM

Front:
みらいはぼくらのてのなか。

back:
未来は僕らの手の中。
The future is in our hands.

未来 「みらい」: (n) The future, the world to come

僕ら 「ぼくら」: (n) We

手 「て」: (n) Hand

中 「なか」: (n) Middle,

Source:
Kaiji (Anime), subbed by Triad.

For some reasons, that sentence drew my attention :P

Nov 10, 2008 5:37 PM

Uh, firebound12, you said you got that from a subbed anime? -- I'm not exactly a pro on grammar or anything, but that sentence looks more like "The future OF our hands" instead of "The future is in our hands." If you catch what I'm saying.

If I'm not mistaken, the sentence should actually be: 未来は僕らの手の中にある。

Nov 11, 2008 1:57 PM

it's from a song and well, songs are like that so i agree with your translation. i think it's fine.
you know
未来僕らの手の中。
the は makes it "enough" to make that translation. even if it wasn't there you could still make same inference i'd say. It's not a complete sentence though since there's no verb so if you want to make it into a full sentence use what sleepyday typed.

reminds me of CG opening, 2nd op I think.
世界の終わりで 生まれた光 今風の中
Modified by midori-, Nov 11, 2008 2:03 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Nov 11, 2008 2:05 PM

sleepyday said:
Uh, firebound12, you said you got that from a subbed anime? -- I'm not exactly a pro on grammar or anything, but that sentence looks more like "The future OF our hands" instead of "The future is in our hands." If you catch what I'm saying.

If I'm not mistaken, the sentence should actually be: 未来は僕らの手の中にある。

Also not an expert, but it looks ok to me. I feel like にある is optional, but I can't find anything to back that up.

However, apparently 未来は僕らの手の中 is the title of a song by The Blue Hearts.

EDIT because I got beaten to the punch: I'm not doing the sentences now, but when I tried it, I always had all kinds of silly things. And I would wander around saying stupid stuff from anime like 「選ばれた子供達たおす!」(えらばれたこどもたちたおす) - Leomon from Digimon
In other words, anime characters say the darndest things.
Modified by bubble, Nov 11, 2008 2:12 PM

Nov 11, 2008 2:11 PM

Thanks midori-.

I've found that searching sentences on Google (Japanese pages only) that it helps verify if your sentence is correct or not. Just depending on how many results you get back. It's debatable, but it helps if you are unsure.

Nov 28, 2008 4:12 PM

Here's a sample of my sentence collection looks like. Basically, I just get the sentence and any information I need about it and type it out in this format:

===================================
0:00:37
-----------------------------------
文章:
意味付ける。

発音:
いみづ・ける。

意味:
give meaning to.
===================================

What looks like a time (0:00:37) is the sentence counter. When the number to the left reaches 1, I have completed the 10,000 sentences.

Nov 30, 2008 5:30 PM

So I wanted to share this sentence cause it's interesting. I got it from some review on a cd on amazon.co.jp Of course it's negative otherwise it wouldn't be interesting..

Front
私は無理でした。
これを聴ける方を本気で尊敬します。
いや、マジで。

Back:
そんけい
===========
I can read everything here just i guess in case i forget to recognize 尊敬 I put the Pronunciation in . So here's the other words if anyone else likes it and want to add it etc.
無理 Impossible・(Too much For someone)
聴く(き)Listen.(Different from 聞くBecause the listening is to "music" which requires attention,etc)
方=かたPerson (formal)
本気で  Seriously
尊敬(そんけい) Resepect
いや=No/Other feelings of unpleasantness?
マジで = Seriously. (slangy)

If I were to translate it would be like:
It was impossible for me (to listen to this)
I honestly respect people/anyone who can listen to this.
No, seriously.
Modified by midori-, Nov 30, 2008 5:34 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Jan 20, 2009 6:46 PM

#131 (my sentence count)
-------------------
前:
じてんしゃつうこうか

後:
自転車通行可

自転車 「じてんしゃ」 乗り手がペダルを踏んで車輪を回転させて進む二輪車
乗り手 「のりて」 rider
踏んで 「ふんで」
車輪 「じゃりん」 車の輪 「くるまのりん」
回転させて 「かいてんさせて」 rotation; turning
進む 「すすむ」 前に動く 「ぜんにうごく」
二輪車 「にりんしゃ」 two wheeled vehicle
通行 「つうこう」 通っていくこと 「とおっていくこと」
可 「か」 acceptable
-----------------
Source: 100 Japanese things. http://100japanesethings.com/
For the translation, here it is: "Bicycle passage permitted"

Not my first attempted J-J, which kinda fail as you see :D When it ends up doing 車輪 --> 車の輪 and then 車の輪 ---> 車輪, I either have to know with the kanji meaning or search on denshi jisho. I either not put the description because it's obvious, but if it's too difficult, then I'll put it.

And I'm beginning to understand how we learn so much going monodic. It's amazing :D But I think I'm going to stick to J-E for now XP

Happy sentence picking :D
Modified by firebound12, Jan 20, 2009 7:24 PM

Jan 21, 2009 12:27 PM

Yeah, and when it gets to that 車の輪, you look up 車 and 輪 if you aren't sure. But that compound 車輪 is so logical, I don't see what the problem was. If you forget what a Kanji means, just throw it into the search at Reviewing the Kanji. It's better to remind yourself of what it means than to go without. Also, in definitions, pay attention to particles. For example,

うむ 【生む】【産む】 - 母親が、子や卵を体の外に出す。
うまれる 【生まれる】 - 子や卵が母親の体の中から出る。

These are two words I looked up to understand:
親から生まれた、人や生き物。

The reason I looked up those two words is because I didn't know if 生まれた was the past passive of 生む or, the past of 生まれる. Turns out, it was the latter, and I only figured this out from the particles and attention to verbs. Also, read the example sentences. You'd be surprised how much they help. :)

Jan 22, 2009 7:57 PM

I guess I did forget the meaning of the kanji XP And when I realized it after your post, I was like >_>

So, here's another entry:

前:
まいにちうんどうしたのに、ぜんぜんやせなかった

後:
毎日運動したのに、全然痩せなかった。

運動した 「うんどうした」 物が動くこと 「ものがうごくこと」
のに despite
全然 「ぜんぜん」
痩せなかった 「やせなかった」 細くなって体重が減る
細くなって 「ほそくなって」 thin
体重 「たいじゅう」 体の重さ
体 「からだ」
重さ 「おもさ」 weight
-----

As you can see, a lot of my entries are almost all Japanese :D. I really like the feeling. I can only read the translation once, put some English definitions (the hard ones) and the rest, Japanese. And I'm not breaking a sweat for it as if I went monodic right away. In fact, I found that even though it is enriching to do a full J-J entry, it is very tiresome, thus less fun :(
I lurked through AJATT (again) looking for more tips. Ya I know I should read less English sites XP He pointed the fact that people who fail often TALK about Japanese (in forum) instead of learning it... must... not.. read.. further T_T but AJATT's site is addictive and full of resources :)
Anyway, where was I? Oh, I came upon the blog that say: SEARCH WORDS YOU ALREADY KNOW. Ya, it kinda struck me. Why didn't I do it sooner? So now I always (almost) begin searches in monodic, even the easy ones, and when it goes as far as the definition of a definition of a definition because I have no idea what it says, then I use Denshi Jisho.
Combining other blogs, I found out that we must not spend too much time on one entry. It's simple to understand, but to use it, it's kinda hard, especially when we want to go J-J. I think I spent 1 hour doing only 1 entry (people actually use more than that >_>), and deleted it afterward because it contained too many hard words. So, if you find yourself stuck in J-J, don't worry, switch to bilingual dic. But don't stay there too long XD.
So here, a very efficient way to go from bidic to monodic, と思います...

EDIT: Oh, forgot source, but someone would of guessed Tae Kim's Guide :D

Jan 22, 2009 10:48 PM

The whole purpose of the monodic is to make you look stuff up and build a foundation of understanding. Trust me, no matter what you look up, you can figure it out. I was looking up biology terminology because I wanted confirmation of understanding for words like 卵. Even particles are explained in dictionaries. Usually just a nice description of their use, depending on the dictionary. Like, when you look up something like の in my チャレンジ小学国語辞典, you can expect to find a couple definitions (six is my count) telling its function(s). And.. after understanding them, and the examples, then if you're still confused read "All About Particles." By the way, I would definitely start with particles that are easy, like の、は、を、に、and が. After you understand those, you can probably figure out what all the others mean.

Or, if you have the kick-butt 大辞林, you know, the authoritative dictionary of Japan, you get this:

I'd say a pretty good order with sentences in terms of sources is something like this:
Tae Kim's Guide -> All About Particles -> Monodics

For a few reasons. 1. You don't have to scour a monodic to figure out trivial things like の and は, 2. You get essentially hundreds of sentences served to you on a platter to get you started, 3. A background in grammar and particles will make understanding those definitions a LOT easier, 4. It gives you words to start with.

So that's what I'm doing. And, of course, you don't have to just use those resources. You can even just use them as something to fall back on when you don't understand something from a manga or something.. or getting informed about slang and shortenings. Either way, that's my recommendation. And, I do recommend Tae Kim's guide over "Understanding Basic Japanese Grammar" (the book has like 2000 examples but have funky "interpreted" translations and it's kind of boring). And, roughly by the time that you finish the guide and the book "All about Particles," you'll have possible 1000-1200 sentences learned, a nice background in grammar, and some vocabulary. I just checked my unique Kanji count in my sentence deck and I have over 400 in there not even realizing I know readings for that many, and I've only pulled from a few other sources besides those mentioned.

Eh, so that's what I'm up to. I'm going to plow through Tae Kim's guide and All About Particles in a couple weeks (because, like I said, it's all laid out) and dive straight into my monodic(s) and start really speeding things up.

Also, I don't know if I've said this before, but use the Reviewing the Kanji site to remind you of Kanji meanings.. do it. Because the more times that you look it up, the more likely you're going to remembering it. And that helps a lot when trying to figure out monodics.

You know, it's truly surprising how interesting a dictionary can be when it's like a puzzle trying to fit pieces (Kanji) together (compounds) and figure out what they mean (words) and then see the bigger picture (sentences/definitions).

Oh! And it's VERY helpful to know words like these:

じょし 【助詞】 - Japanese particles
めいし 【名詞】 - Noun
ぎもんし 【疑問詞】 - Interrogative Word (Question Words i.e. 何、誰、etc.)
だいめいし 【代名詞】 - Pronoun
ひんし 【品詞】 - Part of speech
どうし 【動詞】 - Verb
ごだんどうし 【五段動詞】 - Godan Verb Type; Type I Verbs
いちだんどうし 【一段動詞】 - Ichidan Verb Type; Type II verbs
けいようし 【形容詞】 - adjective; i-adjective;
けいようどうし 【形容動詞】 - na-adjective; adjectival noun
ふくし 【副詞】 - adverb
れんたいし 【連体詞】 - pre-noun adjectival; attributives
じょどうし 【助動詞】 - auxiliary verb
せっとうじ 【接頭辞】 - prefix
せつびじ 【接尾辞】 - suffix

Abbreviations are used all the time in dictionaries, so it's good to know the actual words. It can help make sense of things, sometimes. It's good to know you're looking at a noun and not an adjective or something. :P

That's all for now.
Modified by Zealous, Oct 16, 2009 4:46 PM

Jan 23, 2009 1:41 PM

sleepyday said:

ごだにどうし 【五段動詞】 - Godan Verb Type; Type I Verbs
いちだんどうし 【一段動詞】 - Ichidan Verb Type; Type II verbs

... are you sure that's how it's written? What I got from wikipedia is that it's written like this:

ごだんかつよう 「五段活用」 Godan, u verbs
いちだんかつよう 「一段活用」 Ichidan, ru verbs

Or am I mistaken o_O?

EDIT: hum.. I guess you were right XP you just mistyped this:

ごだにょうし 【五段助詞】 --> ごだんどうし

The wikipedia entry was for something else, I guess (search result: conjugation of godan/ichidan verbs)...
Modified by Zealous, Jan 23, 2009 7:42 PM

Jan 25, 2009 4:56 PM

文章: 硯の墨をする所。

言葉の定義や発音など:

(全) おか 【陸】 - 硯の墨をする所。

すずりのすみをするところ。

すずり 【硯】 - 墨をするための文具.
ため 【為】 - 利益.得.
ぶんぐ 【文具】 - 文房具.
ぶんぼうぐ 【文房具】 - ものを書くのに必要な道具.
ひつよう 【必要】 - 必ずいること.
かならず 【必ず】 - きっと.
どうぐ 【道具】 - 仕事に使う器具.

Jan 25, 2009 6:03 PM

画像:

文章: 硯で、水を溜める所。

言葉の定義や発音など:

(全) うみ 【海】 - 硯で、水を溜める所。

すずりで、みずをためるところ。

ためる 【溜める】 集めて増やす。
ふやす 【増やす】 ふえるの他動詞形.
ふえる 【増える】 数や量が多くなる.
あつめる 【集める】 1か所に寄せる.
いっかしょ 【1か所】 1ヶ所
すずり 【硯】 - 墨をするための文具.
ため 【為】 - 利益.得.
ぶんぐ 【文具】 - 文房具.
ぶんぼうぐ 【文房具】 - ものを書くのに必要な道具.
ひつよう 【必要】 - 必ずいること.
かならず 【必ず】 - きっと.
どうぐ 【道具】 - 仕事に使う器具.

Jan 25, 2009 11:51 PM

Last one for the day. Spent all day on three sentences, lol. This just goes to show, much work is to be done.
画像:

文章: 自動詞と他動詞の区別.

言葉の定義や発音など:

じどうしとたどうしのくべつ。

くべつ 【区別】 違いによって分けること.また,その違い.
わける 【分ける】 分類する.
じどうし 【自動詞】 文法で,その動作が及ぶ対象を持たない動詞.
どうさ 【動作】 手足や体の動き.
からだ 【体】 身体.
てあし 【手足】 手と足
うごき 【動き】 動くこと.
およぶ 【及ぶ】 必要だ.
ひつよう 【必要】 - 必ずいること.
かならず 【必ず】 - きっと.
たいしょう 【対象】 ①目標物. ② 主観に対するもの.客観.
たどうし 【他動詞】 文法で,他動の意を表わす動詞.
たどう 【他動】 (対)自動
じどう 【自動】 機械などが自力で動くこと.
きかい 【機械】 マシーン
じりき 【自力】 (対)他力.
たりき 【他力】 他人の助力.

These sure do get to be pretty long drawn out projects don't they? The image is only there to illustrate the noun 区別. This would have been hell without having done Heisig. Anyways, I feel like I'm making quite a bit of progress. The first time I tried a monolingual look-up I took two days to get one sentence. And, today I did three sentences. The other day I got six sentences (that I have yet to put in my SRS because I wrote them on paper). So, I'll post those, too.

The unfortunate side of things is that I'll have a bunch of reps to work through tomorrow because I didn't do any so I could learn more new stuff. Fun, right? Anyways, I think that I'm going to hold off a bit longer before I go completely monolingual. But this was definitely a good test to see if I was ready for it. I'm just not satisfied with the whole three sentences in a day thing. Granted, I could probably mine my definitions for sentences and use those, so, we'll see. That's not actually a bad idea now that I think about it.

Anyways, gotta get my rest, I've gotta get up and go to the library and read some lame English text for school tomorrow evening. And, might I make one last note. Google Images is an awesome tool for figuring stuff out. :)

Jan 26, 2009 5:46 PM

front:
足首は 捻挫に 軽い打撲で 何でもないってさ。

back:
あしAnkle./ざSprain.
だぼく・Blow
======
I put あし to tell myself that it's not on-yomi reading.
ざ in case I forget.

But anyawys for the readings if anyone wants 'em
あしくび
ネンザ
かる・い Slight
だぼく
Explanation grammar.
って Is と (Quoting the doctor etc)
===

I feel happy with this one because I easily learned the readings because it has the same pronounciation as other kanji that looks the same with like 1 difference, etc.

残念(ざんねん)
僕(ぼく)
---------------------
Modified by midori-, Jan 26, 2009 6:29 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Jun 6, 2009 10:09 PM

Poor thread never gets attention. Although, if I went through the trouble of posting every sentence I ever add, this would become a time consuming project. xD

Here's an easy sentence that's pretty useful, I think.

翌年の二月に私が生まれた。

よくねんのにがつにわたしがうまれた。

よくねん 【翌年】 次の年.よくとし. (The following year)
にがつ 【二月】 february
わたし 【私】 I;me;oneself
うまれる 【生まれる】 to be born

The new word here for me is 翌年, and the others I knew already. Included the English for anyone that doesn't know them..

Jun 18, 2009 1:50 PM

Here are some of my sentences. I apologize if they're really basic. The source on these is an English-Japanese picture dictionary my aunt bought me while she was in Japan. It was designed for people learning English, but it's pretty awesome for learning Japanese. (Title: 英和じてん, IBSN: 4-924710-44-X, ¥2400)

Front: 屋根の上に犬がいます。
Back: There is a dog on the roof.

Front: 1時に出発しよう。
Back: Let's leave at one o'clock.

Front: 1日ずっと気分が悪い。
Back: I've felt sick all day.

Front: あなたは、どんあ音楽が好きですか?
Back: What kind of music do you like?

The following sentences are from Kodansha's romanized Japanese-English dictionary by Timothy J. Vance. (ISBN: 4770016034)

Front: だれがこの歌の作詞をしましたか?
Back: Who wrote the words to this song?

Front: ゆうべ大好きなテレビ番組を見逃した。
Back: Last night I missed a TV program I really like.

Front: 生徒はみんあで何人いますか?
Back: How many students are there in all?

Front: 今日は休日ですね
Back: Today is a holiday, isn't it.

The following sentences are from Mangajin's "Basic Japanese through Comics":

Front: ちょっと私頭痛がする。
Back: My head hurts a little. (I have a little bit of a headache.)

Front: どうするつもりですか?
Back: What do you intend to do?

Front: どこかに食事に行こうじゃないか?
Back: Why don't we go somewhere for dinner?

Jun 19, 2009 1:37 PM

I have some really good sentences but these are a couple whileI was going through reviews today.. I only put the pronounciation for words that i don't know or i think i might forget so for the sake of sharing i addedin readings for everything that's written in kanji to make it easier for everyone. wellthere's rikai-chan too so.

from some anime or dram areview:
front:
ラストが倫理上問題があると思うので敢えて最悪にしておきます。

back:
*りろんじょう・もんだい・おも・・あ・さいさく

** リロン: 人として守り行うべき道。善悪・正邪の判断において普遍的な規準となるもの。道徳
**あえ‐て〔** やりにくいことを押しきってするさま。無理に。「言いにくいことを―言おう」

+++
from a drama:
front:
飼い犬に手をかまれるって言うけど、
 まさか私がそんな目に遭うとは、
 露ほども思わなかったわ。
back:
*か・いぬ・て・わたし・め・あ・*ツユ・おも
ツユ::(否定表現の中で). 少しも
++

drama:
front:
どんな素晴らしい舞台に立ったって
 身震いするほど感動する演奏が
 出来ることなんてまれなんだ。
back:
**すば・ぶたい・た・ミブルイ・かんどう・えんそう・でき・
からだを振り動かすこと。
2 寒さや恐ろしさなどのため、からだがふるえ動くこと。
まれ: 実現・存在することが非常に少ないさま

++
drama:
front:
 訳ありに、とやかく言うほど、ヤボな年の重ね方は
 しておりませんから。
back:
*わけ・い・とし・かさ・かた
わけあり*特別な事情・関係などがあること。
とやかく: *なんのかのと。あれこれと。
やぼ: 人情の機微に通じないこと。/ 言動や趣味などが、洗練されていないこと。無風流なこと。

====
manga:
front:
俺には危機回避のために真実を知る義務がある!

back:
*おれ・きき・かいひ・しんじつ・し・ぎむ。
+物事を避けてぶつからないようにすること。また、不都合な事態にならないようにすること。

Modified by midori-, Jun 19, 2009 1:46 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Jan 24, 2010 8:10 PM

Ive been watching lots of anime at the cost of making sentences. It was worth it.

Sentence count: #2038 (cuz i like deleting)

Front:

遠慮すんな

Back:

えんりょすんな

Definition:

遠慮 「えんりょ」 辞退すること。また、ある場所から引き下がること

Edit: Sry, forgot to say that its from yotsuba! 8th volume. or the 7th.
Modified by firebound12, Jan 26, 2010 5:11 PM

Jan 24, 2010 9:07 PM

Source: Final Fantasy Advent Children

Sentence: その中に セフ ィロスという とても優秀なソルジャーがいました

そのなかにセフィロスという とてもゆうしゅうなソルジャーがいました
ゆうしゅう 【優秀】 〈ダ〉 特にすぐれているようす. (派)(~)さ

Jan 25, 2010 4:59 PM

Now I do vocab/fill in the rest format. I read some thread on kohii abt how learning vocab words rather than sentences is more effective at lesatfor that person. and well i felt the same way.

front:
サバを

back:
▼~を読(よ)・む
都合のいいように数をごまかす.
sentence: 年齢制限があったため、4歳サバを読んだという。

This was from wiki. It was about haruna ai and i found out that she was born a guy.. I was sorta surpseid lol. I didn't know all this time.

Another one:
I also now tend to make the word in katana or hirgana instead cause I cheat from the kanji in other words, if i heard it somewhere like in a tv show (and they don't show that word in the pretty coloredtext they put) i wouldn't recognize/undrestand it

front: シュショウ
back: 殊勝な態度を見せ、法廷で しばしば涙を零していた
2 心がけや行動などが感心なさま。こぼ
Modified by midori-, Jan 25, 2010 5:02 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Jan 26, 2010 1:31 AM

midori-,

So, do you just put a word on the front, and a definition and example sentence on the back then?

Jan 26, 2010 4:07 PM

basically yeah. But most of the time the context that I pulled it from is memorable/interesitng in some way(especially talk/variety talk shows) so sometimes just reading the sentence i pulled it from itself is helpful with remembering hte word and its meaning

And so now I hvae like 1400 cards now cause I lost this previous humongous sentence deck where i mined too much. i guess it's a good thing cause the sentence srs is just not efficient for me.

here's an example of both making it into katakna/hiragana to not cheat off kanji/ actually try to learn it by cutting it off.
front:
てんぺん

back:
ちい

然界に起こる異変。台風・地震・洪水など。
context~~ 天変地異が起きたみたい
遠くで クジラが バッシャ~とかして

here's the thread
on koohii
goodbye sentences - for anyone else that feels that sentences are just not working out.

Modified by midori-, Jan 26, 2010 4:44 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆

Jan 28, 2010 8:07 PM

My only problem with something like that, where it's just words in isolation is that it'd eventually end up taking me longer to memorize each word. Plus, I like that, with sentences, you have to understand more than just a word. I mean, sometimes you'll get a word that has a million different meanings, like 出る or する that you need context for. Maybe though, learning words in isolation is ok in that you're relying more on the immersion instead of the SRS.

Let me know how it goes. :)