Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 25, 2008 3:24 PM
Dec 2007
kasumisama said:
Quickie timeline for you guys.

The part with Kuromitsu talking to Kuro's head takes place in the Bakumatsu period (Shinsengumi makes it obvious). He's already been beheaded for several hundred years, and I'm assuming the murderer samurai is in fact some sort of Benkei reincarnation.

Yep, the Tokyo/Edo quote made it obvious some seconds before that, but if you add the Shinsengumis, there's no doubt left : Bakumatsu, close to 1867-1868 probably. He had already been beheaded for maybe 700 years since the first part seems to be taking place in the 12th Century according to the synopsis (there's no evidence of that in the first episode but the setting ressembles the late Heian period indeed, mainly thanks to the cult of the warrior skeletons that we can mistake for onmyoudo).

As far as this second episode s concerned, the Death Note/Black Lagoon team stroke once again. The first episode was already very good, but this one is totally mind blowing, with a perfect direction and developments, awesome art and animation, it's just... right. That's how you do anime. Superb.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 26, 2008 5:57 AM

Apr 2008
Aionic said:
hell, every secondary character seems to have the same design as Benkei!
This.

Cyrus said:
In the last scene are there destroyed buildings? because it looks like that on the screen on page 1. Just asking because he was walking through a destroyed city in one of the first scenes in ep1.
That first scene where he is jumping/falling over the reddish post-apocalyptic setting is the same as this blue one, just at sundown. (Might be an obvious observation but I figure it's worth mentioning.)

I was only a little disapointed by the fact that Kuromitsu's breasts weren't drawn with much care or detail (and I'm not just talking about no nipples). Aside from that everything was flawless. Perfect direction, writing and amount of blood. Everytime that dude says "Yu/Yo" it reminds me Soulja Boy. -__-
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Oct 29, 2008 11:29 PM

Oct 2007
man... this anime is too awesome... has a lil bit of everything... definitely one of the best animes this fall for me
Oct 31, 2008 11:02 AM

Sep 2008
I couldn't follow the first half of the ep... Although it was interesting...
Nov 1, 2008 10:34 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah, that was just phenomenal, fantastic, awesome. The animation, the story, the fights, the music, the characters, everything is flawless.

The only thing I found strange is way Kuromitsu's hair seems to be glued over her nipples. They have no problems showing massive amounts of dismemberments and blood and can't show a couple of nipples?

No matter, this tale is just too great to be sullied by such sillyness.
Nov 5, 2008 2:04 AM

Jan 2008
Pretty interesting episode. The fight scenes art style is abstract-yie, different from episode 1.
Mar 14, 2009 9:00 PM

May 2008
Well that's a fair amount of blood... wonder how long he was asleep for. Also the animation of this is just <3
Jul 5, 2009 2:51 AM

Apr 2009
It's gotta be more then a couple hundred, maybe even a thousand or two. Just look at the state of the cities, they're in complete ruins. That's not what you would expect if he were to be in present day.
Mar 4, 2010 9:49 AM

Nov 2008
The scene where we saw Benkei switching his personnality with Kuro was extremely confusing, I really loved it. Splendid mind game indeed.
And I also enjoyed how they told what happened, taking Benkei's point of view first and showing what happened and then taking Kuro's one and showing and show what led to the events of the first part.
HooHiraiBunnyMar 4, 2010 9:54 AM
Mar 26, 2010 1:56 AM

Jan 2010
Siva said:
Ok, now we have a samurai+vampire+technology= ???
Looks like it...
May 8, 2010 1:48 PM
Feb 2009
too much time lapse really confused what happened and i knew that Benkei gyu was bad
Oct 21, 2012 8:26 AM

Dec 2009
My only complaint about this episode. How the hell does he wake up clothed when he dies pretty much naked.
Feb 27, 2013 11:03 AM
May 2012
Well, I still don't really understand what's going on, but anyway this was definitely suitable for little children in any thinkable way.
Jul 13, 2013 4:28 AM

Oct 2009
This is great! So he slept quite a long time and even he's cloths changed? Wait he wasn't even wearing any before O.o
Jul 26, 2013 6:35 AM

Apr 2012
Confucius say, I'm confused.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Jul 26, 2013 6:36 AM

Apr 2012
Danny-REI said:
This is great! So he slept quite a long time and even he's cloths changed? Wait he wasn't even wearing any before O.o

Not to mention he didn't even have a head.
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Sep 1, 2013 2:44 PM

Aug 2013
Kuromitsu is so damn sexy :3

I really enjoyed the two first episodes!
セクシーヒップスター
Jun 8, 2014 9:01 PM

Sep 2011
I was so confused throughout the whole episode, but realized at the end that they were just explaining the whole head thing. Haha
Jul 30, 2014 2:27 AM

Aug 2013
Aaaaaaand I'm officially confused.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 18, 2014 7:29 AM

Apr 2010
Hmmm. . . uhhh man. What the hell? Were episode one and two flashbacks? And I'd say their /love/ escalated rather quickly.
Nov 16, 2014 10:17 AM

Jan 2013
I was already confused about Benkei, there was no way he wasn't going to betray Kurou after seeing what he is.
Also what just happened at the end ...
This is just speculation, but I think a lot of time has passed and they used Kuromitsu to make more immortal people ?
Jun 3, 2015 8:39 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
This is the first anime in a long time that has my stomach tensed up during the whole episode. I am very impressed with the series so far...the art is top notch and I love the character's eyes....and the plot is twisted enough that it makes me actually think. Good stuff.
Oct 7, 2015 4:15 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I don't think Kuro's been asleep for hundreds of years. First of all, he's wearing something jeans-like, and the setting looks like the same one we saw at the beginning of the first episode, right after the OP. This probably means Kurou was just asleep, could be a few hours, a day, a week, who knows. But for most of the first and second episode, it was a flashback. I'm guessing Kurou woke up disoriented, since he's lived so long, he couldn't figure out past from present. Maybe he was dreaming the flashback.

I think the timeline in this episode went like this:
1860's (Bakumatsu Period) - When Kurou gets his chopped off when encountering some dude with Kuromitsu. He's already been immortal for almost 700 years
~1185 (After Genpei War) - We see how Kurou became immortal, Benkei attacks Kurou
Present/post-apocalyptic time - Kurou wakes up, probably from a nap

It's kind of odd, all this jumping back and forth in time. Even without knowing the history, I think it was more or less straightforward and not too confusing as long as you're paying attention and think about the events a little afterwards. What I wanna know though is what's up with Benkei, someone said he was brainwashed? :( I liked that scene though, it was really interesting.

I have to say, the voice acting is top notch, all that screaming with Kurou and Kuromitsu. Not too surprising from two of the most well-known VAs. I wish Park Romi did more feminine roles like this, her voice sounds beautiful.
Dec 7, 2015 7:31 PM

Feb 2013
How many times did his head get cut off? I'm not sure how to count... if half of it was illusion.
Mar 7, 2016 5:07 PM
Jul 2014
Interesting episode. Which city was that at the end? Was that Tokyo in the future - post-apocalypse?
Aug 11, 2016 12:40 PM

May 2012
Pretty impressive second episode! Looking forward to see what happens next!
Jun 26, 2017 8:27 PM

Oct 2012
That pretty confusing, at least for me.. Or it's just because I'm stupid
They clearly don't have a clear timeline that's for sure

That "fighting" scene though
For a moment it became Jojo xD
"Signature removed"
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What happened after the first two episodes?

removed-user - Mar 2

4 by wiederherr »»
Mar 5, 11:51 AM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tradedaemon - Dec 24, 2008

151 by akiraic »»
Feb 23, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 7 Discussion

kie_ - Nov 20, 2008

41 by iChante »»
Sep 1, 2022 2:14 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 7, 2008

96 by Ballisto »»
Jan 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 8 Discussion

slayer545-sama - Nov 28, 2008

37 by OweynLupton »»
Jul 25, 2020 7:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.