Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 4, 2008 5:06 PM
Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So were they already dead? This one made me shiver a bit. Especially the ending. I've not really understood the meaning of the "Happy family planning" and the condoms metaphor. Any guesses?
KinetaNov 23, 2012 9:24 AM
Oct 7, 2008 7:17 PM
May 2008
It was a good episode. At the end I did realize they were all dead, but I too did not understand the Happy Family Planning thing.

Ghosts were chasing Shounen Bat. Hah.
Oct 14, 2008 2:16 PM

Apr 2008
Navaroas said:
I too did not understand the Happy Family Planning thing.

yeah, same... D:
Dec 27, 2008 8:47 PM

Jan 2008
I wish I understood the ending, but sadly I really didn't.... A somewhat disturbing episode in a sense.
Feb 17, 2009 12:00 AM

Oct 2008
I must say, I'd like to know how this fits into other aspects of the series...perhaps simply showing that the three were indeed not emotionally cornered? Weird turn of events at the end at the end...strange episode. I kept on thinking about Welcome to the NHK and the offline meeting arc.
Apr 10, 2009 4:54 PM

Jan 2008
at first i thought this episode kinda ruined the awesome mood set at the end of the last one, but at the end of the episode it was still kind of a WTF mood. i guess they were already all dead after all.
Jun 6, 2009 4:44 PM

Nov 2007
By far, this was my favorite episode. Black comedy at it's finest! I laughed many times and really loved the characters even though we only knew them for a short while. My guess at the "Happy Family Planning" thing is that it was trying to make an ironic point. If you're planning on having a family, you wouldn't be concerned about condoms, unless you really want complete control over when you'll have a family, which is a bit odd in and of itself. Essentially, I think the point was that you can't really plan out a "true happy family," it just happens. It's like the three ghosts became a family at the end without even meaning to or fully realizing that it was happening.

As for how the episode fits in with the rest of it, I think it was just reemphasizing that life and your situation in life is all a matter of perception. The three ghost were trying so hard to become what they thought of as "liberated" that they didn't realize that they were. Their relationships and pursuit of death already made them happy. It's sort of a "Millenium Actress" type message: the whole "the chase is what makes me happy" deal. As the show is all about subjective reality and how perception affects happiness, I think this episode was just a fun way of toying with the flip side of finding life in death rather than finding life after death.
TsumayoujiJul 4, 2009 11:51 PM
Jul 31, 2009 10:48 PM

Aug 2008
olmecalmighty said:
I must say, I'd like to know how this fits into other aspects of the series...perhaps simply showing that the three were indeed not emotionally cornered? Weird turn of events at the end at the end...strange episode. I kept on thinking about Welcome to the NHK and the offline meeting arc.

It also made me think of that.

EDIT:
Moron said:
I guess all of us suspect/realise they're dead by the end of the episode...but how? Cos there wasn't shadows where they stand? I can't remember and didn't really understand why Fuyubachi was staring at the little girl's legs. Then he touched Zebra's hands and said they were warm. Hmm..?

I realized they were dead when the girls getting their picture taken freaked out.
Sep 10, 2009 9:31 AM

Aug 2009
I watched this a few times to figure out when they actually died or if they had been dead from the beginning. I lost track of their shadows once the crane knocked the building down. So I think that's when they died together :x
Correct me if I'm wrong though or your ideas ^^;
Oct 14, 2009 9:17 PM
Oct 2009
he looked down at the girls legs to see that there was no shadow...

the last pill he sees in the parking lot, but he had already taken it at the beginning of the episode

and the significance of zebra being gay as a connection to why he wanted to die, anyone?
DespeauxOct 14, 2009 9:26 PM
Oct 25, 2009 10:16 AM

Apr 2009
Strategy said:
I watched this a few times to figure out when they actually died or if they had been dead from the beginning. I lost track of their shadows once the crane knocked the building down. So I think that's when they died together :x
Sharp :) That would explain why Zebra could see the man who jumped in front of the train as well
Oct 31, 2009 3:42 PM

Jul 2009
this was a good episode.

Didn't even notice the shadow part, and I was thinking WTF when the guy climbed out from under the train.. guess it all made sense haha.
Nov 20, 2009 4:34 AM

Nov 2009
I liked the episode but i dont really get what was up with those people, there was no shadow, the pill came back after he took it, i think they were supposed to be ghosts, cuz the photographer didnt seen them till after she took the picture and then they were all "wtf whos that?!" cuz they showed up in the picture but they couldnt see them so i think there ghosts. Not what was up with the condoms at the end tho.

I was gonna say this is the most random anime ive ever seen then i remembered ive seen FLCL lol.
Nov 25, 2009 1:39 PM

Feb 2008
I can connect all the dots only after reading here. Thanks, guys!
Dec 9, 2009 11:29 PM

Jan 2008
It's obvious that they were dead already, but what I can't understand is when they died.
My best guess is they died in that building when it was taken down. That was the last time they had shadows. In the next scene on the street where the bicycle went by, they didn't have shadows and at the train station, you can clearly see they have no shadow.

/Reminded me of the NHK offline meeting arc as well.
Dec 18, 2009 1:40 AM

Oct 2009
one more thing I'd like to point out. the two males of the group took a gratuitous amount of pills while they were in the condemned building. It would make sense that the effects weren't visible afterwards because they were all ghost after that point (or maybe the pills just made them trip out the whole time, after all the guy does say "delusions" at the end when he's in the parking lot)
Jan 2, 2010 9:29 AM

Nov 2008
Splendid episode, with a really different atmosphere than the previous one.
This is really nice to move from a tense episode to a light, heart-warming yet black humour based episode. The irony behind it, is that they were having a good time together while trying to commit suicid.
I really laughed when the guy jumped on the train before their eyes, that was so absurd.

Also if they are ghosts that means this series is also supernatural which there's probably a supernatural explanation behind the shonen bat.
Jan 19, 2010 5:15 PM

Oct 2009
Well.. id was really confusing and i first didn't get a thing even though i thought this episode was amazing !
i thought i over and i guess that they could already have died in the beginning; when the house was being' knocked down .. but they didn't notice because they were ghosts .. ? maybe or something like that idk xD" .. just a little thought though.
but i was really amazing. loved it.
Feb 27, 2010 8:45 PM

Jul 2009
ohhh mannnn... i had no clue what was going on while i was watching this..
Mar 10, 2010 12:11 AM

Dec 2008
What great episode I laughed so much
The first scene where they met each other after planning it on an internet forum and the reaction as they realized that the female member was a little girl

I was a bit shocked about myself for lauging about the scene where the guy jumped on the rails.

Another great scene was as shounen bat was pursued from the trio
All in one that was a lovely side(?)story it was really nice to watch theses guys

Strategy said:

Oh they were dead at that point, I didnt' realized that till now
Thanks for posting now that makes a lot of sense.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2010 5:29 AM
Oct 2008
Just me? Or did you guys think the animation quality was a bit lower this ep?
Apr 20, 2010 5:52 AM
Oct 2008
Slykain said:
Navaroas said:
I too did not understand the Happy Family Planning thing.

yeah, same... D:

I think that might be why the little girl wanted to commit suicide, perhaps she was an unwanted child?
Apr 26, 2010 10:30 PM

Jan 2010
Don't know why I thought the guy jumping in front of the train was hilarious.
May 9, 2010 8:45 AM

Jan 2010
Really enjoyable episode. Since I love this kind of insanity, the black humor was amazingly funny. I don't know who comes up with this stuff, but they are brilliant. I wasn't even suspecting that twist in the plot, but I should've realized after the train suicide incident.

Navaroas said:

Ghosts were chasing Shounen Bat. Hah.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that they were chasing Fox, their friend from the internet and the copycat. They just thought it was Shonen Bat because they didn't yet know they were dead and could see other ghosts.
May 24, 2010 6:24 AM
Apr 2009
Man deep episode. So they were already dead, they died at the crane. He looked at the girls legs to see if she had shadows. He said the dudes arm was warm though which I didn't understand.

Shounen couldn't kill them cause they were ghosts and ran away himself. Meaning shounen is a ghost too? Seeing as the old lady didn't see anyone attack that first victim.

And yea Zebra saw the dude walking from under the train saying ''that hurt more than I thought''. And they say that when you commit suicide, you hang around earth and don't go to heaven or w/e. [Than again they got hit by the crane :o but the other 2 might have died before]

I liked the comedic tone they gave to this lol, one/my fav. episode so far. I do however wanna know the background of why they wanted to diie :\ Than again maybe they already gave hints.
May 25, 2010 1:01 AM

Oct 2009
Yes, they're already dead. Fuyubachi and Zebra died in the building from the pills while Komome's death is uncertain (probably from the coal). They're dead b/c Fuyubachi realizes that they don't have shadows at the end. That's why they can't kill themselves and why they could see the train jumper after he jumped. No one else noticed the train jumper after the jump except the three. Also, that could be a reason why Lil' Slugger's scared of them: they're dead. And as a final note, the "Happy Family Planning" condoms shown at the end represents the three: You can't build a family if you use condoms just like how you can't kill yourself if you're already dead.
Jun 19, 2010 10:25 PM

Mar 2009
That girl was really annoying. I didn't understand the happy family planning thing at the end though.
Jul 1, 2010 10:52 AM

May 2008
Happy Family Planning CONDOMS.
You see, you can't expect a family if you keep wearing condoms...just like you can't expect to kill yourself if you're already dead.
Aug 7, 2010 4:30 PM
Oct 2009
I was wondering what the whole "Happy Planning Condoms" actually meant until I saw the various replies in this forum discussion. Now it makes perfect sense. I really loved this episode. Reminded me alot of the NHK episode where they go to the island to commit suicide. The mannerisms of the three character were great too. Enjoyable episode, to say the least and the ending was a huge shock to me. I didn't expect to see that they were already dead. Kinda creepy.....
Oct 2, 2010 11:05 PM

Aug 2008
It's absolutely hilarious that I didn't catch on that they were dead until the photo was taken. I recognized all of the inconsistencies but I never made the connections.

1. The fact that anyone could survive after swallowing that many pills. It made NO SENSE, and I was so confused at the time (did they swallow placebos or something?)

2. How the guy who jumped in front of the train walked away afterwards and no one reacted to it.

3. Their lack of shadows (which I didn't notice while watching... on my rewatch I noticed that after the first attempt they weren't there anymore).

4. The "last pill" showing up again.

I wonder as to the reasons why they wanted to commit suicide. I'm guessing Zebra wanted to because he was gay (else I don't know why they'd show that photo with him and another guy). And I'm guessing for Fuyubachi it has something to do with "Sayo" that he murmured while he slept - and what was that thing he was carrying around? Zebra takes notice of it on the train and looks sad afterwards? Did Fuyubachi lose someone close to him? I guess so since he referred to the person (which sounds like a girl's name) by their first name with no honorifics. But what about Kamome? It almost sounds like she had no family to speak of. Maybe she was an orphan and was looking for people to connect with?

I should note that the Shounen Bat that the three encounter in the episode does have a shadow underneath him. So, unless if it's another imposter, SB isn't dead. Maybe he's like a shinigami? Huh.

Also, the crows seem to recognize their presence. I feel like rewatching the earlier episodes to see if the crows show up at any point.
Oct 16, 2010 2:10 AM

Dec 2009
Haha,I kinda liked this episode :)
It was weird and disturbing but nice.It was so clear that they are already death.
The scene when the guy jumped in front of the train and came back.The girl had no shadow.The last pill of the old man :) and more things....everything makes perfect sence.You just have to look better and you find it.

Oct 31, 2010 1:13 AM
Jan 2010
SparrowSabre7 said:
Just me? Or did you guys think the animation quality was a bit lower this ep?

No, I found that, too. Particularly when Kamome starts sobbing. Her body doesn't shake nearly enough and didn't match up at all with the noises she was making. Compared to the rest of the series and Satoshi Kon's other works, it was really quite disappointing.
Jan 23, 2011 6:43 PM
Jan 2011
What about the hotel staff women who kinda just stood there and watched them go down the stairs...dead too or just unaware of whats happening?
Feb 4, 2011 4:37 PM
Oct 2009
TheBaconAbyss said:
What about the hotel staff women who kinda just stood there and watched them go down the stairs...dead too or just unaware of whats happening?

They hotel staff women saw Lil' Slugger go down the stairs, but Kept their focus in that direction. When the trio followed him, they still were looking down the stairs, so I'm guessing that they couldn't see the ghosts.
Feb 11, 2011 5:47 AM

Sep 2010
That was pure black humour, but, lol, really unique episode, haven't seen anything like this before. Disturbing yet amusing :D
Feb 14, 2011 12:22 PM
Apr 2009
If you go back and watch the scene where Kamome is crying, she's forcing and faking it, to manipulate the guys into taken her with them.

I'm not sure about the condom either, but they were EXTRA THIN condoms. Using condoms while you want to start a family means that you have to wear them thin (it's an old joke) so I take that part as black humor. And that it means that they became a family, together.
May 18, 2011 1:43 AM
Dec 2010
1. the title HAPPY FAMILY PLANNING is like a metaphor to what they were doing for the whole episode. you cannot expect to have a child if you are wearing a condom during an intercourse. likewise, all their suicide attempts failed because they were all dead in the first place (you cannot expect to die if you are already dead).

2. i think that ZEBRA and FUYUBACHI died after inhaling the smoke in the building. on one hand, KAMOME died even before that. when she called fuyubachi, he just ignored it. she was last seen at the bridge looking at them (there is no hint how she died, but im pretty sure that she committed suicide after that). take note that after the two men inhaled the smoke, the girl appeared and they saw one another (because they were all dead already).
Jun 9, 2011 4:20 AM

Mar 2011
Wow.. this episode was incredible, probably one of my favorite anime episodes of all time.
Loved every second of it.

Looks like they died around 5:21, when say "I just can't shake of the feeling that we were cruel to her"
since the shadows disappeared after that.

Also, this kinda explains the last episode too.
They didn't see the "real" shonen bat skating away, but the ghost of him after he comitted suicide.
But does that mean the detectives are dead too, since they could see him?

My brain hurt.
RawrsmusJun 9, 2011 4:43 AM
Jun 14, 2011 8:37 AM

Jun 2011
Back reading in this thread made me figure out this episode. Thanks alot guys <3

I only noticed them dead when couple of girls took a picture and had a surprisingly shock after their photo was taken.
Jul 11, 2011 11:18 AM

Nov 2010
GAHHHHH I feel like an idiot. Didn't even notice that they'd died until I came here because I didn't understand the episode. Of course I saw the inconsistencies - the dead guy walking away from the train, the final pill coming back, etc... but I never noticed that they didn't have shadows. I need to be paying more attention. :(

But after reading all this and finally understanding, I'm curious about the real Shounen Bat - is he a ghost, a delusion, a real person, or all three?
Sep 23, 2011 3:48 AM

Jun 2008
Happy Family Planning is the title of the episode. They show us the condom box because that's where it's written. Just like with the tsunami alert (Fear of a direct hit), manga bilboard (A man's path), & etc.

Nov 1, 2011 11:51 AM

May 2009
*chuckles*
Nov 9, 2011 10:44 PM

Aug 2011
Oh god. my mouth was open in shock this entire episode. D: but i did laugh when they were all chasing Little Slugger and he was trying to get away from them. :-D
Dec 29, 2011 5:58 AM
Aug 2011
I re-checked and noticed the girl's head while she's hiding in the room where they had the carbon monoxide (she's shown looking at the outside of the building, and in the next shot while the two guys are running about setting things up you can clearly see her head in the lower right, apparently the two guys didn't notice her). From about 4:30 - 5:00
Jan 7, 2012 9:50 PM
Jan 2012
Interesting episode indeed. I still do not understand when exactly they died, though -- then maybe we are not supposed to:

Some people say that their shadows disappear after the crane scene, but actually that is not true. For the first 5 minutes of the episode, it is as if they deliberately make the characters always stay in shadows (see 1:30, 1:38, 2:40, and the chase scene that follows). It is very well possible that they have been dead all along, and the sleeping pills & gas were also futile attempts...
Jan 10, 2012 12:49 PM

May 2009
karekare said:
Some people say that their shadows disappear after the crane scene, but actually that is not true. For the first 5 minutes of the episode, it is as if they deliberately make the characters always stay in shadows (see 1:30, 1:38, 2:40, and the chase scene that follows). It is very well possible that they have been dead all along, and the sleeping pills & gas were also futile attempts...

Good point. In the scene when Zebra and Fujubashi are running through the room they have no shadows. Also, Fujubashis last pill wouldn't just magically reappear. He saw it at the end again because he never swallowed it, because he was, duh, dead. But why is the shadow behind Zebra moving as he is moving his arm and taking the pills?

What bothers me is that "Shonen Bat" has a shadow, but can see the trio. I though it makes sense since he died in the last episode, but he looks pretty alive to me. And one of the service-woman-ladies doesn't look down the stairs while the boy passes her, but after Zebra storms down. Maybe she's dead too, how else would they get a room?
Jan 16, 2012 4:07 AM

Jan 2012
karekare said:

This is actually incorrect. It shows Zebra and Fuyubachi with shadows as they are running away from Kamome. So they obviously died sometime between then and after the building getting demolished.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2012 3:58 PM

Jan 2012
I was adding up bits and bobs, but other peoples comments have really made it clear so thankyou guys/gals for your input! this episode was probably favourite, and was hilarious at times, the best part for me was where they were hanging themselve's and he was choking and said 'hurry up with the signal' xD that part made me laugh so hard! aha. but then the ending brought it back to serious wtf tone! really intresting series indeed!
Mar 5, 2012 6:41 PM

Jun 2008
Haha so those guys were already dead.
HEY!
Mar 12, 2012 8:06 PM

Jan 2009
Kind of a nice break from the normal intensity, though it was really reaching a peak there... Still, darkly humorous and cute. At the beginning of the episode I felt like it was going to be a total waste, kind of like a filler with almost no point to it, but it was quite interesting and gave more info about Kozuka (sp? impostor Shonen Bat) as well as the idea of how real death is and how alive characters really are when it comes to this show.

First off, interesting to find out that the impostor Shonen Bat who'd just killed himself in the last episode (or did _he_? >x]) had long been planning to commit suicide with that group. He uh, had a lot of advice for our ghost trio on how to do it. o__o;; Still want to know what exactly was his deal... Undiagnosed mental disorder? Very extreme obsession with video games? Eh whatever.

Also, I didn't realize they were ghosts until the very end, when the girls were taking their picture. The photographer would have obviously noticed them standing there, but none of them did until the pic developed. That was a sad realization. But, then again, that's what they wanted, and they did seem happy at the end.

As for when they died, I have no clue, people here have said from the demolition of that building, and that seems pretty plausible... After all, from there on out they start doing pretty crazy sh*t that you'd think would get them noticed. Not to mention I can't think they'd want to spend a lot of money traveling by train for no particular reason if they wanted to die. *shrug* Ah, as for Zebra seeing the ghost of the jumper, I didn't put two and two together but I just assumed for whatever reason that he could see ghosts. I mean he was pretty freaked out, so maybe he just didn't realize he was dead yet? When did they realize it themselves? Because it seems like they kept trying even though they already _were_ dead.

Ah, enjoyable nonetheless. A good, stumping little episode.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

215 by mbarseru »»
Mar 21, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.