Forum Settings
Forums

What is the saddest/biggest downer ending to a story you have seen

New
Feb 26, 2012 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
as topic says but this must only apply to the ending.

ide say for saddest tokyo magnitude hit me hard, that ending stuck with me for a while

for biggest downer but not saddest ending, FF 13-2 is the only time ive ever seen a ending where absolutely nothing poitive works out

and note this is for any form of storytelling, game, movie, book whatever,
JizzyHitlerFeb 26, 2012 2:46 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 26, 2012 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
1984. Took me a month to smile again. And page 1 was depressing enough anyway :P
Feb 26, 2012 3:37 PM

Jul 2009
Key is just a cesspool of depression.
Feb 26, 2012 4:00 PM

Feb 2012
School Days!
Feb 26, 2012 4:06 PM

Feb 2012
As far as anime, Grave of the Fireflies. Even though you know whats going to happen, it still doesn't make it easier to watch. As far as regular films go, Leaving Las Vegas. You so badly want that film to have at least a neutral ending, but it does not.
Every minute you are thinking of evil, you might have been thinking of good instead. Refuse to pander to a morbid interest in your own misdeeds. Pick yourself up, be sorry, shake yourself, and go on again.
Evelyn Underhill

Feb 26, 2012 4:38 PM

Sep 2009
mellors said:
1984. Took me a month to smile again. And page 1 was depressing enough anyway :P

I actually laughed at the end of 1984. Not in the way one would laugh at a hillarious punchline, more like a nervous or a deadpan kind of laughter.

It was satire at its finest. Fantastic book.

As for being really sad, well Grave of the Fireflies has a pretty sad ending. I was thinking Only Yesterday too, although that isn't really sad... It almost made me cry, but that was because the ending was beautiful rather than sad.

Oh, and Gunbuster. POWERFUL STUFF.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Feb 26, 2012 4:42 PM

Jan 2009
I agree on gunbuster
Feb 26, 2012 5:06 PM

Oct 2009
Since Plato's Cave is on my mind, thanks to Haibane Renmei likening itself to it, I guess that'd be a good example. The movie Atonment also gave me that feeling. Actually, I'd say on a social level, Atonement works best here. The ending of Plato's Cave is pretty much spoiled to the older demographics. Every damn teacher talks about it, even the introductions of these kinds of books talk about the ending. Thankfully I read it as a child, and picked it up out of pure curiosity, so it wasn't spoiled for me. But the ending was like a huge wave crashing into my face! And not the good kind D'X Then came Atheism. On that note, every Natsume Soseki novel — EVERY. ONE — ends in disparage, or some twisted, humorous form of it. In his novel, The Miner, the main character finds out he has Bronchitis, and to celebrate (yes, CELEBRATE), goes around the mine shouting jubilantly, with a wide smile on his face. I mean, I see the resemblance. This novel was written shortly before Soseki died of an Ulcer (this juxtaposition can be seen in his novel, The Wanderer, as well), but damn Soseki, u iz crazy.

Oh, but if we're talking about anime, School Days was a huge cockslap in the face.
lucjanFeb 26, 2012 5:25 PM

Feb 26, 2012 5:13 PM
Feb 2012
:Bump: ^_^ I think I should see these anime, the end story of samurai X was sad for me when kenshin died o_O lol too old stuff hehe..

lol Don't mind me I'm new here :p just roaming around forums hehe..
Feb 26, 2012 5:14 PM

Apr 2009
Grimm3r said:

Not its fucking not.
People need to stop mentioning that,theres far worse shit out there.
After story was pretty sad but thats about it.

If were not talking about anime.
FUCKING REQUIEM FOR A DREAM ;SJF]HF'EHDFHSD
that and the butterfly effect,and also Mr. nobody. ; A;
All 3 of them also being great fucking movies.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Feb 26, 2012 5:17 PM

Oct 2009
xxangelchanxx said:
Grimm3r said:

Not its fucking not.

I disagree. Disregarding crap like K-On, every Key production has been overwhelmingly depressing. What about episode 9 of Angel Beats, or when that silver wolf turned into a crow in Air? That shit really pulls at your heart, man.
lucjanFeb 26, 2012 5:20 PM

Feb 26, 2012 5:18 PM

Dec 2010
5 centimeters per second

ending was so depressing ;; .. although it would not have fit the overall theme of the movie if it didn't end the way it did, so it was a given that the ending was going to be depressing lol
Feb 26, 2012 5:21 PM

Apr 2009
lucjan said:

I disagree. Disregarding crap like K-On, every Key production has been overwhelmingly depressing. What about episode 9 of Angel Beats, or when that silver wolf turned into a crow in Air? That shit really pulls at your heart, mean.

Angel beats was pretty fucking sad,but most of keys stuff is bittersweet and always ends up having a happy ending most of the time anyway.

Stuff like Air and kanon wasn't heartbreaking.
Feb 26, 2012 5:22 PM

Oct 2009
Pokemon - Mewtwo Strikes back. Pikachu dying ripped my little child heart right out of my chest.

xxangelchanxx said:
Angel beats was pretty fucking sad,but most of keys stuff is bittersweet and always ends up having a happy ending most of the time anyway.

Stuff like Air and kanon wasn't heartbreaking.

People experience things at different levels. Air, Angel Beats, Kanon, and Clannad After Story were all sad, emotionally riveting series' for me. Just because you didn't feel the same way doesn't mean they weren't.

Feb 26, 2012 6:07 PM

Sep 2011
lucjan said:
xxangelchanxx said:
Grimm3r said:

Not its fucking not.

I disagree. Disregarding crap like K-On, every Key production has been overwhelmingly depressing. What about episode 9 of Angel Beats, or when that silver wolf turned into a crow in Air? That shit really pulls at your heart, man.
key didnt make k-on, kyoto animation and key are two seperate things

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 26, 2012 6:08 PM

Sep 2011
lucjan said:

People experience things at different levels. Air, Angel Beats, Kanon, and Clannad After Story were all sad, emotionally riveting series' for me. Just because you didn't feel the same way doesn't mean they weren't.
this is true but only air works for this thread, i asked for sad ENDINGS, clannad and kanon have happy as shit endings. cant vouch for angel beats for i have not seen it

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 26, 2012 6:14 PM

Feb 2012
Cowboy Bebop. Seriously.
Feb 26, 2012 6:19 PM

Nov 2010
Carrie, the whole movie made me feel like absolute shit.
I can't believe it's considered one of the best classic horrors.
Even worse when they practically tell what's gonna go down at prom and you know everything (good) that happens in the movie all goes to shit when it gets to the climax.
Feb 26, 2012 6:20 PM

Jun 2008
Anime: Clannad After Story, AnoHana and Tokyo Magnitude are some that made me cry a lot.

Books: There's this book called Idas dans (Ida's dance translated) and it's a true story. It's about Ida who gets cancer, and the book is written by her mom, so the book is from her point of view. Really sad book : (
And also the last Harry Potter book. Because it ended ;____; (I also cried at some points during the series)

Movies: No one comes to mind at the moment....
But there's a bunch of movies that made me cry

TV series: Supernatural ; u ; Such sweet brotherly love <3
Feb 26, 2012 6:27 PM

May 2010
No one said Code Geass yet? O:
and Hotarubi no Mori e
Feb 26, 2012 7:15 PM

Sep 2011
Chibi-Alice said:
Clannad After Story
guys, sad endings anime ENDINGS

not sad shows

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 26, 2012 8:12 PM

Jun 2008
Eh, the latest tragic ending has to be the movie One Day for me.

Can't say much about it unless it's spoiled.

But at maybe the half way point it just all went downhill for the guy. Maybe he peddled and went up a bit near the end, then he just nose-dived, and ended the movie talking to his daughter... which wasn't much of a closure, really.

The only excuse people justify the ending with was "well real life is kind of like this."
I hate when people (including me) use that as a justification.
Feb 27, 2012 6:02 AM

Oct 2009
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
key didnt make k-on, kyoto animation and key are two seperate things

I know they didn't. I tend to get the two mixed up since Kyoto's famous for animating Key's works.

this is true but only air works for this thread, i asked for sad ENDINGS, clannad and kanon have happy as shit endings. cant vouch for angel beats for i have not seen it

I'm fuzzy with the ending of Kanon (didn't she fall from a tree and comatose?), but a lot of fans, including myself, don't even acknowledge the happy ending of After Story. I know that doesn't count, though. I think I was just listing off anime's that had sad moments for me. Okay, in that case: Air, 5 Centimeters per Second, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2, Death Note, Digimon Tamers, ef - a tale of melodies, Green Green, Nabari no Ou, and School Days are all anime's that fit this question's criteria perfectly.
lucjanFeb 27, 2012 6:06 AM

Feb 27, 2012 7:15 AM

Jul 2009
The anime of Elfien Lied was sad
Feb 27, 2012 7:22 AM

Oct 2011
Angel Beats
Ano Hana
1st Arc of Kanon

まったく、小学生は最高だぜ!!
Feb 27, 2012 8:57 AM

Feb 2005
Texhnolyze. Such a magnificently nihilistic and destructive ending, where all hope is crushed underfoot. I got an erection throughout it.

Stalingrad (1993 version) was also delightfully depressive.
Feb 27, 2012 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
Kaiji's ending was rather disappointing.
Feb 27, 2012 9:22 AM

Jan 2012
Clannad AS had a pretty odd/depressing ending.

School Days had one of the biggest WTF endings ever.

Luv Wave(which I bet no one who has read this has ever even heard of) had a depressing ending. It was beautiful though, and by that I mean
Lemme smang it girl.
Feb 27, 2012 10:03 AM

Jul 2010
Non-anime, FSN's Heaven's Feel normal end is the saddest thing I've seen. I mean, I've watched my share of gruesome/dramatic/simply well done downer endings, and they usually don't make me bat an eyelash, but something in it struck a chord in me and I still feel tears well up when I think of it. (I can count the number of times I've cried over entertainment media on one hand)

School days made me laugh, didn't really find it sad. They were all too dumb to live.

Call me a casualfag or whatever, but my biggest anime downers are Code Geass and Death Note's respective endings, I teared up on Geass. Reuental's death in LotGH affected me too. Considering these along with FSN, I can conclude that I feel sadness when someone too great for the world they live in is killed off, and am rarely affected by shows that simply go for "world is unfair"/"innocents are killed"/"people are animals" (mostly because I've embraced those ideas I guess).
Feb 27, 2012 12:17 PM

Feb 2012
Assassin's Creed Embers, with the dead of

Also, Geass hadn't the most happy ending as well.
Assassin9399Feb 28, 2012 11:58 AM
Feb 27, 2012 11:23 PM

Aug 2007
Not going to post animu yet, but:

100 Litre of Tears

Imagine of you learned one day that you keep getting worse eveyday? ;~;

That movie made me cry various times, that im afraid i'll cry if i watch the drama.
Feb 27, 2012 11:28 PM

Feb 2012
Saikano and Katanagatari would be on the list.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Feb 28, 2012 7:05 AM

Dec 2007
The Human Condition trilogy. The whole thing, really. Left me emotionally drained for several days afterward.
Feb 28, 2012 6:00 PM

Apr 2009
Bloodcalibur said:
Saikano and Katanagatari would be on the list.

Forgot about Saikano.
That would probably be the most depressing anime ive ever seen.
But there are definitely worse non-anime stuff out there.
biitchstickFeb 28, 2012 6:43 PM
Feb 28, 2012 6:40 PM

Feb 2012
petalshreds said:
and Hotarubi no Mori e

Code Geass' ending wasn't really meant to be a sad ending. It was more so going for the "epic heroic sacrifice" ending.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Feb 28, 2012 6:46 PM

Jul 2011
petalshreds said:
and Hotarubi no Mori e

That show was pretty easy to read and you should've expected that from a mile away considering the averageness of that show, Code Geass that is.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Feb 28, 2012 6:54 PM

Feb 2012
jrgcool35 said:
petalshreds said:
and Hotarubi no Mori e

That show was pretty easy to read and you should've expected that from a mile away considering the averageness of that show, Code Geass that is.

Err, let's be honest, whether or not someone liked Code Geass, that show was far from being an average anime series, especially relative to the dozens of crap that comes out.

From looking at your list, you gave Claymore an 8 but Code Geass a 7, as well as Fate Stay Night an 8. Those scores aren't bad, but relative to each other, CG should be higher than both. I LOVE Claymore, but the anime series is sloppy in presentation and pace compared to the way Code Geass was executed. Don't even get me started on how poorly executed Fate Stay Night was.

You may not have enjoyed it, but to say it was average, objectively, no.

Feb 28, 2012 11:32 PM

Jul 2011
5 cm Per Second? The ending of this was sooooo terribly sad, because anyone can relate to this actually happening since its so possible to happen and its probably happened countless times PLUS its the one thing someone probably doesn't wan't the most (At least I wouldn't..) This story was going downhill from the beginning and no one knew it before they were already siding with the two main characters relationship.
Feb 29, 2012 12:19 AM

May 2008
Idc what kind of note LoGH ended on, it was just a pit of ;____________; for me. Actually the whole thing was, but I felt it most by the end.
Feb 29, 2012 3:33 AM

Sep 2011
Bloodcalibur said:
petalshreds said:
and Hotarubi no Mori e

Code Geass' ending wasn't really meant to be a sad ending. It was more so going for the "epic heroic sacrifice" ending.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 29, 2012 7:43 AM

Oct 2011
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Bloodcalibur said:
petalshreds said:
and Hotarubi no Mori e

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Feb 29, 2012 8:03 AM

Feb 2005
Bloodcalibur said:
Likewise, you can't say it objectively wasn't average.
I'd agree that it wasn't average though, I'd put it far below average in presentation, pace and everything hehe.
hikky said:
Idc what kind of note LoGH ended on, it was just a pit of ;____________; for me. Actually the whole thing was, but I felt it most by the end.
I always felt it ended on a deliciously realistic note, with some threads left uncounted for and future uncertainties abound, indeed, just like real history actually does "end", which was probably part of the idea behind it.
Feb 29, 2012 8:18 AM

Jan 2010
Brokeback Mountain killed me. So did the 2010 version of Wuthering Heights.

And in not really the same way, Veronica Mars. The last season was a complete and utter trainwreck. I didn't even realize the last episode was the last episode until after the credits rolled and I was about to start the next non-existent episode. Such a disappointment considering how flawless the first two seasons were.
Feb 29, 2012 9:12 AM
May 2009
saddest? im going to also say 1984 but as for anime? GotF, angel beats, air, basically anything by key.
Feb 29, 2012 10:33 AM

Feb 2012
Baman said:
Bloodcalibur said:
Likewise, you can't say it objectively wasn't average.
I'd agree that it wasn't average though, I'd put it far below average in presentation, pace and everything hehe.

Average would mean we're comparing it to all other anime out there. I'm pretty sure you can't argue that there's more terribly done anime out there to the point that it would lower the average to a sucky level.

Feb 29, 2012 1:55 PM

Feb 2012
It was fucking sick how happy and shallow was the ending of Higurashi.
Feb 29, 2012 2:42 PM

Aug 2011
Key stuff is heartbreaking throughout the course of their series, but Kanon and After Story ended happily. Air and Angel Beats! were bittersweet, but still pretty sad.

Bloodcalibur said:
Katanagatari would be on the list.
I laughed at the ending. A lot. The last episode was the best part.

nathanr said:
Wat?
Feb 29, 2012 3:25 PM

Feb 2012
DraconisMarch said:
Key stuff is heartbreaking throughout the course of their series, but Kanon and After Story ended happily. Air and Angel Beats! were bittersweet, but still pretty sad.

Bloodcalibur said:

nathanr said:
Wat?

It really ruined my mood man
2 seasons of gore and scary and thriller and mystery
Feb 29, 2012 4:22 PM

Feb 2012
DraconisMarch said:
Bloodcalibur said:

I was traumatized and called up my gfs right away and bought them bullet proof vests.

I'm jk. But, it was a sudden event in that last episode. I won't deny there were signs and hints throughout the series but still pretty sudden.

Feb 29, 2012 7:18 PM

Sep 2011
nathanr said:
yah higurashi's ending was so half assed but again thats not what this thread is about, this is about sad endings not dissapointing

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who is the most evil of the three users above you? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jul 8, 2022

5627 by anime »»
5 seconds ago

» Is it a red flag? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

iHateAnimeBro - Apr 24

1129 by anime »»
37 seconds ago

» Yes or No? v6 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 6, 2022

7187 by anime »»
2 minutes ago

» Ask the person below you a question. v34 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Mar 28

6240 by anime »»
4 minutes ago

» Fact about yourself v.5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Jun 1, 2023

3235 by IpreferEcchi »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.