Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 14, 2008 8:17 AM
Jul 2018
Initial Notice:
I thought it might be a good idea. I noticed that people have many resources they've discovered in their attempt to learn Japanese, and even though the thread where everyone is posting website links, I think it may be a little unorganized. So I'm going to make up a list of books, websites, software, etc. that can be directly accessed through here and it'll be in alphabetical order. And if you have a resource I'll be happy to check it out and add it to the list. One thing I'd like to note is that, I'm a college student so this isn't my top priority, but I am on MAL every day, and do check this often. So I'll do my best. (I'm going to start by going through the threads here to put together all the resources already mentioned).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resource Look-up: A Database for Japanese Language Resources v1.0

Categories: Books , Websites , Software , Audio Books , Other

New Resources! -------------------------------------
ChaoticHoshi said:
Here's a nice "Text to speech" translator site... It doesn't convert the text that you input into it, instead it reads what you put in back to you.

http://free-translator.imtranslator.net/speech.asp

- Take what you are trying to translate in Wakan, and input it into the site. That way you are learning it with visual and Auditory styles

Directions:
- Towards the top of the page there is a little tool bar, set the language to Japanese.
- Paste what you want to be read back into text box
- I usually set the speed to "-" for first time listening, then I speed it up if needed.
- click "Say it"

--------------------------------------------------------

==========
Books
==========

Note: Instead of sorting them by alphabetical order, I'll be breaking them into categories instead.

Categories: Course Books , Workbooks , Grammar Books , Kana Books , Kanji Books , Literature , Misc.

Course Books
Japanese for Busy People (Kana Version) Vol. I - $17.82 - Japanese for the busy person.
Genki - Elementary Japanese Vol. I - $42.20 - Intro. Japanese Course Book
Genki - Elementary Japanese Vol. II - $40.05 - More advanced course book. Prequel: Genki I
Japanese in MangaLand I - $16.32 - Intro. Japanese Course Book with Manga!
Japanese in MangaLand II - $14.28 - Intermediate/Basic Japanese Course Book with Manga!
Japanese in MangaLand III - $14.96 - Intermediate Japanese Course Book with Manga!
Japanese: The Spoken Language Part I - $30.60 - Japanese Course Book, used at Universities.
Japanese: The Written Language Part I - $19.68 - Japanese Writing Course Level 1
Japanese: The Spoken Language Part II - $30.60 - Level 2 Japanese Course Book.
Japanese: The Written Language Part II - $37.55 - Japanese Writing Course Level II
Japanese: The Spoken Language Part III - $33.32 - Level 3 Japanese Course Book

Workbooks
Genki - Elementary Japanese Workbook I - $23.30 - Work to accompany Genki I
Japanese in MangaLand Workbook I - $10.20
- Workbook to Japanese in MangaLand I

Grammar Books

Kana Books
Remembering the Kana - $13.50 - Remembering the Kana through abstract thinking.

Kanji Books
250 Essential Kanji for Everyday Use Vol. I - $16.47 - Note: This book would be good in conjunction with a course book because it expects you to know about grammar and some vocabulary. At least have a dictionary on hand.
250 Essential Kanji for Every Day Use Vol. II - $15.61 - Sequel to Volume I of this series.
Kanji in Manga Land Vol. I - $16.32 - Kanji learning with Manga!

Literature
Breaking Into Japanese Literature - $13.57 - Seven Modern Classics in Parallel Text
Exploring Japanese Literature - $15.61 - More Japanese Literature!
Read Real Japanese - $12.24 - All You Need to Enjoy Eight Contemporary Writers

Miscellaneous
Berlitz Japanese Concise Dictionary - $12.76 - Japanese-English Dictionary
Dirty Japanese - $8.00 - Everyday Slang from "What's Up?" to "F*ck Off!"

removed-userNov 14, 2008 9:33 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 14, 2008 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
==========
Software
==========

Categories: Digital Dictionaries , Translators , Learning Software , Flash Card Programs

Digital Dictionaries
WaKan - $0.00 - Digital Dictionary, Character Map, Word List Generator, and Translator.

Translators
WaKan - See Digital Dictionaries

Learning Software
Before You Know It (BYKI) - $0.00 - A learning suite. The Lite version is free, you can get the deluxe for a price though.
Rosetta Stone - Price Listings on Website - A learning suite. Claimed to be used by NASA and such. Quite pricey, but could be worth your time.

Flash Card Programs
DreamKana - $0.00 - Kana Practice Tool, Hiragana and Katakana.
JDrill - $?.?? - Kana Practice Tool, Multiple Choice Interface

Jul 2018
==========
Audio Books
==========

Note: I don't know that these really need categories, but I'll break them up into "Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced" as categories.

Categories: Beginner , Intermediate , Advanced , Other

Beginner

Intermediate

Advanced

Other
Primsleur Japanese Vol. 1-3 - $217.35 - Beginner to Intermediate Japanese Audio Book Lessons
Jul 2018
==========
Other
==========

Note: I don't think that this can really be broken up into specific categories yet. So as I add things I'll do what I can to keep it organized.

Study Abroad
KCP International - Take a trip to Japan and be immersed in the language and culture for a summer, year, semester or quarter! Prices on the website. This is a great program if you want to visit Japan and learn the language. They accept all skill levels.

Japanese Classes
Note: It's best to check your local University or Community College for classes in Japanese. If you find any let us know and I'll post the links here.

East Asian Studies at the University of Pittsburgh - They have an excellent program from the looks of it. They offer classes in the summer and in the fall and spring. A little pricey, but is worth it if you're in the area and are interested. They offer up to a Ph.D. in East Asian languages. Includes Japanese.
Japanese Language Studies at Kent State University - I personally talked with the coordinator here, and it sounds like a really awesome program. They offer degrees in Translation also if you're interested in say, translating manga, light novels, and anime as a career? Sounds fun to me!

Thanks in advance to any help, resources, etc.
Aug 18, 2008 1:14 AM

Oct 2007
Here's a nice "Text to speech" translator site... It doesn't convert the text that you input into it, instead it reads what you put in back to you.

http://free-translator.imtranslator.net/speech.asp

- Take what you are trying to translate in Wakan, and input it into the site. That way you are learning it with visual and Auditory styles

Directions:
- Towards the top of the page there is a little tool bar, set the language to Japanese.
- Paste what you want to be read back into text box
- I usually set the speed to "-" for first time listening, then I speed it up if needed.
- click "Say it"

Sink... into Darkness!
Aug 18, 2008 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
That is awesome! The pronunciation is clear and has doesn't sound like a computer much at all. Nice find! :D
Aug 23, 2008 6:07 AM
Jul 2018
Animaniac8 said:
Hi,

with studying some Japanese myself in my freetime, mainly for viewing Anime/reading Manga, i just wanted to tell you about a site that i find very usefull for learning japanese.

They have a 7 day free trial when you register, so you can explore all the content and features. After the 7 days you can stay a free member or upgrade to a basic or premium membership (i chose basic btw).

They have free daily podcasts wich you can download and listen to. Basic and Premium members get some advantages like Kanji/Kana transcripts for the lessons. Best you check it out in detail, all explained on the site.

There are a lot of lessons for newbies, beginners and advanced students alike, something for everyone there i'm sure.

The link is:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/index.php
Aug 23, 2008 6:11 AM
Aug 2008
That's an awesome link list. Really appreciate your work listing everything.
Guess it will take 'some' time to dig into all those resources ;)
Aug 23, 2008 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
Animaniac8 said:
That's an awesome link list. Really appreciate your work listing everything.
Guess it will take 'some' time to dig into all those resources ;)

Well I'm always looking online for ways to integrate my own studies because I just copy stuff out of a book over and over, while this is a good exercise, should not be the only method. That gets tiresome and boring. It's good for maybe learning to write kanji and kana, and spelling. (Remember learning to spell in Elementary School?) Repetition is king. But I have to have things to check my book against or I don't feel like I learn anything.
Aug 23, 2008 12:20 PM
Aug 2008
Found this Virtual Keyboard for Hiragana and Katakana:
http://www.wandel.person.dk/japanese.html

This is useful if you want to write Japanese without romanji. You type in some japanese word(s) by clicking on the virtual keybord buttons and it outputs the corresponding HTML code, which you can then copy & paste to use in websites or email.

However, before using this, you should have a general understanding about Hiragana/Katakana meanings ;)
Aug 23, 2008 12:35 PM
Jul 2018
Animaniac8 said:
Found this Virtual Keyboard for Hiragana and Katakana:
http://www.wandel.person.dk/japanese.html

This is useful if you want to write Japanese without romanji. You type in some japanese word(s) by clicking on the virtual keybord buttons and it outputs the corresponding HTML code, which you can then copy & paste to use in websites or email.

However, before using this, you should have a general understanding about Hiragana/Katakana meanings ;)

Interesting. I'll add it, but I don't know why you wouldn't just set up your computer for Japanese input. You can do it on any windows machine. :)
Aug 23, 2008 2:25 PM
Aug 2008
sleepyday said:

Interesting. I'll add it, but I don't know why you wouldn't just set up your computer for Japanese input. You can do it on any windows machine. :)

I'm aware of that. But there may be some ppl who don't wanna switch their language settings or keep switching between multiple language settings.

But if you write a lot in japanese, it's certainly better to switch your language settings accordingly.
Aug 23, 2008 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
Animaniac8 said:
sleepyday said:

I'm aware of that. But there may be some ppl who don't wanna switch their language settings or keep switching between multiple language settings.

But if you write a lot in japanese, it's certainly better to switch your language settings accordingly.

Huh? You only need to change it once. Once you do, then you're set. You can write in roman letters and Japanese characters. To change between the two you just select the one you want in the language bar that installs itself to the quick launch bar. o_O;
Sep 14, 2008 7:30 PM

Dec 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Japanese-Adjectives-Kodanshas-Childrens/dp/4770028792/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221445417&sr=8-1

"The Handbook of Japanese Adjectives and Adverbs" from Kodansha publishing.

It shows you a bunch of conjugations for adjectives (the way Kodansha's book on verbs does), but the real beauty of this book is that it gives detailed information on dozens of adverbs, each adverb getting both a definition and a few example sentences. Incredibly useful for entering into a spaced repetition program like Anki, since reviewing sentences helps you learn words, kanji, and grammar all at once.
Sep 14, 2008 10:57 PM
Jul 2018
Hm, I'll definitely check this out. If you're right about it having good example sentences, then I'll definitely make use of this.
Nov 20, 2008 8:41 AM

Oct 2007
Web sites:
http://www.cnfj.navy.mil/phrases.html - Page by the Navy. Example useful phrases and vocabulary.
http://nihongo.j-talk.com - Three parts to this site. 1) Kanji Converter, converts Japanese text to Hiragana or Romaji or adds furigana to it. 2) Japanese-English/English - Japanese dictionary. 3) Kanji search by stroke count, radical, Jouyou level. With up to 100 example words for each kanji.
JuliabNov 20, 2008 9:28 AM

Dec 11, 2008 1:57 PM

Jun 2007
not sure how much japanese subs for drama it has, don't think that much but I found for most of eps for seigi no mikata drama

at d-addicts
japanese.cc = gawd so glad i found this site. to see if they have it searh for drama under the 1ST letter of the drama name. then once you find it click on the tag that says series name like bloody monday series (heard it's good, i'l lbe watching especill since subs are on this site!
also
transcript in japnaes

it has luckystar, haruhi, death note but it's not like all the eps. i think only 1st at least for luck star, haruhi.

midori-Dec 12, 2008 5:52 AM

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Dec 11, 2008 10:24 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, that transcript site is awesome! That would sure be useful if you needed confirmation of something said. Thanks midori-.
Dec 12, 2008 3:03 PM

May 2008
Here's the kanji dictionary I like to use, it covers grade 1-9 kanji, 3215 in total, with examples and audio pronunciation (I've never used the audio so I'm not sure how good it is).. every once in a while I'll come across a kanji that's not in there but that's pretty rare. It is a bit more common for me to come across a compound that's not in there, but you can't expect comprehensive vocab from a kanji dictionary.

http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.html

EDIT: Oh, there's also one other I should mention.. for those not using the Heisig method (Or even for those who are and come across 8th grade or higher kanji), there's a kanji stroke order font that is really useful:

http://sites.google.com/site/nihilistorguk/
hikkyDec 13, 2008 12:41 PM
Dec 14, 2008 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
To look up characters, I'd just use this: http://www.zhongwen.com/
Dec 15, 2008 7:21 AM

May 2008
sleepyday said:

Hmm? Why? That's for Chinese, it doesn't have Japanese readings or vocab or anything..
Dec 15, 2008 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
hikky said:
sleepyday said:

Hmm? Why? That's for Chinese, it doesn't have Japanese readings or vocab or anything..

For a few reasons. Four to be precise.

1. It breaks the characters up into parts (which I'm very familiar with from using Heisig) and the characters are grouped by radicals.

2. It has over 4000 characters. More than I'll need for fluency in Japanese. But not more than I'll ever learn.

3. It gives the meanings and the character, which all I need because the reason I look up a character is to get the meaning (because I'll already know the reading from a dictionary look up).

4. I plan on learning Chinese. (<- Good enough?)
Dec 17, 2008 7:06 AM

Jun 2007
livestation to watch japanesetv

I think sometimesthechannels are up and sometimes they aren't. but anyways the video/audio quality is pretty good.
midori-Dec 17, 2008 1:57 PM

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Dec 17, 2008 1:17 PM
Jul 2018
Khatzumoto found pretty much every episode and movie of Ghost in the Shell transcribed perfectly:

http://gispki.myhome.cx/modules/bwiki/index.php?%B9%B6%B3%CC%B5%A1%C6%B0%C2%E2
Dec 21, 2008 7:01 AM

Jun 2007
wow found so bmany more scripts for anime etc

like here

which I got from
this forum

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Dec 21, 2008 5:13 PM
Jul 2018
Are those exact subs?
Dec 25, 2008 11:58 AM

Jun 2007
Yep, just every single line sorta like, no wait, it is CC. (closed captioning thing)
Since some of them, or most of them are .ass. I think the most convenient way is to open it in aegisub (google/download) and save as .srt

then you can open in notepad.

but if you have the video and want to watch with the subs then you know what to dowith the .ass/video file re-name same

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Dec 26, 2008 3:11 AM
Jul 2018
That's great! I mean, really. I love exact transcripts. It's nice because you can sentence mine from anime, which, is a lot of people's reason for wanting to learn in the first place. It's a nice perk for the rest. :P

Jan 8, 2009 6:14 PM
Dec 2008
http://www.alc.co.jp/ - A damn-powerful 英和辞典 and a pretty good 和英辞典.
Jan 8, 2009 8:00 PM
Jul 2018
AruSakayama said:
http://www.alc.co.jp/ - A damn-powerful 英和辞典 and a pretty good 和英辞典.

Actually, you might want to read this:

Quoted from AJATT ( http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/category/dictionaries/page/2 )
CAUTION: The ALC website also features a Japanese/English/Japanese dictionary called Eijirou. It looks good, and it will seem to have everything you want in terms of usage examples. Unfortunately, these examples have not been edited and have no usage cautions on them even though they should; That makes them dangerous for most people like you and me, who do not yet know all the more subtle nuances of a given word in Japanese; our “this doesn’t sound right” detectors are still weak. Besides, do you know all that poorly worded English you sometimes see written by Japanese speakers? That’s what happens when you use Eijirou. So, stay away from it if you can.
Jan 9, 2009 7:11 AM
Dec 2008
I really don't know who I should listen to anymore.

I'm not one that follows methods. I just approach the language and culture head-on and try my best to learn it.
Jan 9, 2009 9:31 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I just thought I'd let you know. It's up to you in the end.
Mar 20, 2009 5:48 AM

May 2008
Just a couple questions. How far does the Japanese in Mangaland series cover?
Also, have you tried Kana de Manga and Kanji de Manga?
Mar 20, 2009 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
Japanese in MangaLand gives you all you need to pass the JLPT3. Kana de Manga and Kanji de Manga might be better replaces with Heisig's books "Remembering the Kanji" and "Remembering the Kana."
Aug 29, 2009 10:51 PM
Aug 2008
http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Streaming broadcasts, from anime to news to music, etc.
Aug 30, 2009 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
This thread is so outdated. :(

I'll get around to actually doing something with it.. eventually. ><
Aug 31, 2009 4:55 AM

Jun 2007
Sub2SRS
http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=2643
basically you can use it as he said
Use subs2srs to Create Anki Decks Based on Your Favorite Movie or Show.

This works well with drama because most of them softsubbed.

for anime if it's an mkv file you can do it. you have to convert the audio to mp3. to do that you can just use sub2srs under tools. and, you have to extract the subs with mkv extract. Well, i guess you can't really make an anki deck with that and english subs unless you really want to.

I personally just use it to listen efficiently by joining the audio files up. It's usually like half thelength of the epissode. I hvae a pretty strong filter through, been too lazy lately to add to it.

I use this program to join.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mp3albummaker.html
the only issue with this program is I have to open folder. if i do open files, it crashes.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Aug 31, 2009 8:15 PM

Jun 2007
http://search.zokugo-dict.com/search.cgi?q=%C9%F7%B1%C4&s=%B8%A1%BA%F7 slang dictionary.

It's pretty useful when the deifnition's not at yahoo nor sanseido.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Sep 1, 2009 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
I actually have a link to that on my blog (which is linked to in the club info). I found that looking up a few different words (like キタ).
Nov 10, 2009 6:39 PM

Jun 2007
If you are in california, or hawaii, or ny you might be near a book-off.

the locations
they sell used books (小説・文庫・etc)... so it can be quite cheap like $1 manga. the ones in america have japanese and english section.

It makes immersing yourself in japanese affordable as far as books go... it does depend on the "selection" at your local book-off.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Mar 21, 2010 4:11 PM

Jan 2008
Even narrower than the above - If your in Los Angeles. Dowtown on alameda at 3rd street there's 正直屋 shoujikiya - honesty shop - a used bookshop that atleast half as expensive, and way more dustier, than Book-Off. I go to both at least once every two months.
May 16, 2010 2:33 PM

May 2008
For anyone in the NYC area, there's a new Book-off location!
Sep 17, 2010 1:01 PM

Sep 2010
I'm not sure if this counts as a resource, but I'm learning all the Japanese vocabs on the site: smart.fm

I really love this site, because you can learn all the basic words you need for speaking Japanese. You can also learn how to pronounc the words, because many of them are recorded by native speaker. Kanji are included and there is often an example sentences, so you can see the vocab how it is used.
Very new Hetalia forum please help to get bigger =)

http://hetaliahouse.forumeiros.com/
Sep 18, 2010 1:29 PM

Sep 2008
sure it does :) It been known here for quite a time (even b4 it was called smart.fm)

I like it cuz it gives you sentences... :D though i dont use it myself XD
May 30, 2011 4:46 PM

May 2008
I just wanted to mention http://jplang.tufs.ac.jp/int2/bu/1/bu-1.html

I found it too late to get much use out of it but it has a lot of great examples on sentence patterns (among other things). I haven't looked through it all but there really seems to be a wealth of information there for indermediate or slightly advanced levels.
Jun 6, 2011 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
hikky... 久しぶり! haha

I'll have to update the first post.. seriously. >.>
Jun 8, 2011 4:17 PM

May 2010
http://www.anime-manga.jp

This is a discovery.
God sure is cruel, sometimes he makes you live.
Gather some leaves of Japanese.
Jun 10, 2011 8:29 AM

Jun 2007
just wanted to mention korean subtitle files .smi
which you can use when you can't find Japanese subtitle files. By that I mean google translating kroean subtitle to Japanese!
I think of it as Japanese subtitles > koraen subtitles > english subtitles > no subtitles.

blog post explaining how to do it :D
http://choronghi.wordpress.com/2010/11/13/cant-find-japanese-subtitles-for-studying-japanese-try-korean-subs/

and rikaichan with audi ofirefox extension (so you can hear the word just by pressing A I believe)
http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=5562
it also has the added option of having the japanese definition show up instead (from sansaido, press P)

I really love this extension b.c. the original rikaichan crapped out on me like a year ago (firefox crashes when i turn it on) and this makes rikaichan work again.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Jul 9, 2011 2:25 PM

Jun 2007
wanted to recommend lingoes.
It's a dictoinary you use without the internet :)
I dont' think there's Japanese-Japanese. though. but definitely j-e is there.

어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Melt, Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari - Japanese Lyrics with vocabulary translations

pdf4 - Feb 8, 2010

1 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 13, 8:15 AM

» It seems like this club is dead. Let's resurrect it!

Shiroguro - May 7, 2017

3 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 13, 2:04 AM

» Kanji- how do you prevent keep forgetting them?

Kisakii - Jul 24, 2017

3 by Zoushu »»
Nov 26, 2023 11:54 AM

» What does 介 "suke" mean in names?

SpectrumDT - May 26, 2018

0 by SpectrumDT »»
May 26, 2018 2:18 AM

» This group dead?

Kaiigoroshi - May 7, 2015

5 by arief- »»
May 11, 2016 5:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.