Forum Settings
Forums

Emotional Reaction vs. Character Endearment

New
Jan 2, 2012 11:07 AM
Sep 2011
This is a personal view of mine when it comes to anime, that might not be the same for you all. The times when an emotional scene hits me hardest comes after I've grown to love the characters involved. If I see something equally emotional but either just started watching or didn't like the characters, I feel nothing.

To give an example, Madoka Magica

Compare that to Gurren Lagann

This sums up my feelings for Mahou Shoujo Pretty Sammy episode 20 pretty well.

Of course my policy isn't the same for everyone, so lets hear it. Do the folks at home feel like they can be emotionally affected by an anime without some attachment to the characters involved?
Jan 2, 2012 11:11 AM

Jun 2009
RLinksoul said:
The times when an emotional scene hits me hardest comes after I've grown to love the characters involved. If I see something equally emotional but either just started watching or didn't like the characters, I feel nothing.

Yes definitely. I don't even think someone can argue with that. But some people still will.
Jan 2, 2012 11:14 AM

Feb 2009
I never once came even close to crying for Madoka...

Of course that's how it works, I always get worked up the most when it's a character I care about. If I don't care, I don't get emotional.

For example, Clannad After Story and Wolf's Rain have been two that I have gotten the most worked up over. I found certain parts of those series to be some of the saddest I have ever seen.

Meanwhile, Gurren Lagann failed to tug on my heartstrings in that sense because I wasn't attached to the character in question.

I actually found Mawaru Penguindrum tugging the old emotions a LOT through it's run. The characters in that series were excellent.
Jan 2, 2012 11:15 AM

Jan 2011
RLinksoul said:

Of course my policy isn't the same for everyone, so lets hear it. Do the folks at home feel like they can be emotionally affected by an anime without some attachment to the characters involved?

I think I'm easily 'attached' to characters, that's why I have so many 10s. As long as a scene is strong enough(it doesn't have to induce crying. Badass/awesomeness-factors are alternatives), and the anime's storyline has built up to a point, I generally give it a high score.

Since I can't be not emotionally attached, I can't say...

EDIT: Oh yeah, I didn't really cry for Madoka either. But the ending was awesome. And I did feel some sadness, which was more of a depressed, melancholic-kind, doomsday-ish rather than that in CLANNAD, which is crying and letting it go out.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴

Oct 2011
grandy_UiD said:
RLinksoul said:
The times when an emotional scene hits me hardest comes after I've grown to love the characters involved. If I see something equally emotional but either just started watching or didn't like the characters, I feel nothing.

Yes definitely. I don't even think someone can argue with that. But some people still will.

Nuff' said. This is pretty much the only reason I'd get emotional over a death.
Dec 2011

Madoka Magica

Clannad

I'll probably cry if someone dies for the wrong reason. I.E. Code Geass

Or if someone constantly reminds me that they died.

AnoHana

Gundam 00

Steins;Gate

Or if they sacrifice themselves, depending on the character though.

Naruto

Mirai Nikki

So all in all it depends on me liking the character, and how it builds up on me.

Big factor in me crying is,...

SOUNDTRACK CURRENTLY PLAYING

-MikaJan 2, 2012 12:58 PM
Jan 2, 2012 11:22 AM

Jan 2011
-Mika said:

AnoHana

Your Gundam spoiler hides Naruto and Mirai Nikki

And I disagree about AnoHana

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 2, 2012 11:27 AM

Jul 2009
When I was at University doing writing, I did coursework, pretty much, on this subject.
The audience can come across a 'de-sensitised' for numerous reason, one being that something like a tragic event occuring in a story can do little to move the audience beacuse:
- the viewer hasn't really had time to get to know that particular character
- the character doesn't stand out too much (could be down to type-casting for example)
- the character isn't suppose to stand out (minor and/or obvious victum)
- death and bloodshed in an instant don't compensate for genuien peril, peril can permit you to root for a character

Jan 2, 2012 11:36 AM

Aug 2011
Well there's always gonna be at least one character that you just find yourself rooting for in a GOOD anime.
For your Madoka Magica example, I agree - I wasn't too sad when

Whereas in Steins;Gate,

Jan 2, 2012 11:45 AM

Dec 2011
RLinksoul said:

To give an example, Madoka Magica

I didn't cry or even tear up. I barely felt anything. Know why?

But I also do get easily attached to characters as well. Kinda gives away a character's upcoming death sometimes when a lot of flashbacks of them are suddenly shown( or maybe that's the type of shows I'm watching.. eh.), but then again, without some flashbacks, it also seems to sudden or makes you think "Did that just really happen?"

And also, a lot of the times, its not even my attachment to the character, but just the fact that some fitting sad music is playing will set the saddening mood.

But to answer the question that you asked, I do find it possible to be emotionally affected even if we weren't attached to a character. This is because most human beings are naturally good, so seeing someone die(animated or not) will invoke some type of emotion. However, the effect is greater if we have some type of attachment to them. I believe that this is true whether or not the attachment was positive or negative But negative attachments usually mean that instead of grief, relief or some type of emotion like that will be felt instead.

IMO, when a character I feel attached to dies(or is severely beaten/betrayed), I feel anger, not sadness. But then again, you said any type of emotion, not just sadness.

Hope I made some sense, cause I don't think I did lol.
Remnants-Jan 2, 2012 11:58 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2012 11:50 AM

Aug 2011
And here I am.
I haven't cried during any of those shows, nor did I come close to it.

I don't need to love a character to cry to something that happens to him.
Now, I know I alway give the Grave of the Fireflies example, but here I go again. I do not love Setsuko, yet I cried in the end.
Jan 2, 2012 11:52 AM

Jan 2008
Didn't tear up at all in Madoka though I did indeed enjoy the series. Mami's scene wasn't saddening, it was more like a 'Holy hell! Wtf just happened!?" moment.

For AnoHana

Now, ask yourself if you've ever cried during a movie? Movies are only a couple hours. If so, would that counter your saying that you feel nothing from short series? I do understand if your cried during a movie based on a Anime or a series of Movies but for a original movie of its own....
Jan 2, 2012 12:13 PM

Sep 2010
The problem is how does one get attached in the first place.
If the writer creates a character with personality traits, back story, and/or an influential role in the story I can identify with them pretty fast and I will emotionally feel something if that character gets put into tough situations, regardless of how much screen time that character received. I don't need an inordinate amount of fluff to feel connected to a character.

Jan 2, 2012 12:19 PM

Jul 2011
Recently I have cried too much for anime shows.. sometimes just little and sometimes I shed to my shell longer time (School Days)

But some examples of shows made my crying..
- Noir (Both main characters and how they acting in later episodes)
- Chobits (Last episode.. was just too much for me)
- Monster (Story, simply)

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jan 2, 2012 12:21 PM

Dec 2010
Madoka Magica is a unique case, because I had an emotional reaction and felt endeared to Miki Sayaka. I could relate both a personal and idealistic level. The strawberry on the cake being

Jan 2, 2012 12:21 PM
Sep 2011
Anime_Name said:
If the writer creates a character with personality traits, back story, and/or an influential role in the story I can identify with them pretty fast and I will emotionally feel something if that character gets put into tough situations, regardless of how much screen time that character received. I don't need an inordinate amount of fluff to feel connected to a character.

Well said, but I use time as an example because of character development. Maybe you wouldn't like this character right away, but after seeing what they're really like, they grow on you. If a character you barely got to know goes through the wringer it doesn't have the same effect.
Jan 2, 2012 12:32 PM

Dec 2011
Paul said:
Didn't tear up at all in Madoka though I did indeed enjoy the series. Mami's scene wasn't saddening, it was more like a 'Holy hell! Wtf just happened!?" moment.

For AnoHana

Now, ask yourself if you've ever cried during a movie? Movies are only a couple hours. If so, would that counter your saying that you feel nothing from short series? I do understand if your cried during a movie based on a Anime or a series of Movies but for a original movie of its own....

I've personally have never cried during an anime or a movie. The closest I get is that gut-wrenching, "bad feeling in the pit of my stomach" feeling or a very rare light eye watering, but nothing near enough to even drop down my face. But chances are that people who cry during a movie are probably overly sensitive or are easily attached to the characters, so I agree with you on that. Length doesn't really matter.

Not exactly sure if this is fitting to say in this thread, but I'll say it anyway.

I also bet that its the not just the character themselves that make the scene tear-inducing. I have one example.

Picture this: A scene you remember with a decent character dying. Now imagine if that scene was played with:

NO sad background music playing(harps/pianos/etc.)
NO flashbacks(beforehand/during death)
NO final words/goodbye(big one here)
NO dim lighting(or whatever special colors/lights set the mood in the scene)

Just imagine it more realistically.

Your character gets sick or hit in battle. Boom. Dead. Game over. Next. Would it be tear inducing? Doubt it.

This covers action series deaths more than other series, because I can't think of many romance or tragedy series. Sorry.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2012 12:39 PM

Sep 2010
RLinksoul said:
Anime_Name said:

Well said, but I use time as an example because of character development. Maybe you wouldn't like this character right away, but after seeing what they're really like, they grow on you. If a character you barely got to know goes through the wringer it doesn't have the same effect.

My comment is not about the liking or disliking of any character.
I don't need to like a character in order to feel something(negative or positive) in response to said character's problems.
Barely knowing a character can be part of getting to know a character as you are then witness to how that character deals with problems.
If a character dies in a story where you barely get to know them then that is yet another thing that contributes impact to their death on the viewer. Another way for the viewer to vicariously feel something is relating to how other character's are handling someone's death.

Of course the two don't have the same effect. I am saying neither one is better or inferior so long as the viewer can identify with what the writer provided.

Jan 2, 2012 1:10 PM

Jun 2009
I kinda feel something on the inside when characters die, secrets are revealed and happy moment after something bad. But I never really, if ever, come close to ever letting out some emotions.

It's probably because I'm suppose to care, but I just really role with whatever happens and just deal with it.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Jan 2, 2012 1:36 PM

Dec 2011
Remnants- said:

When someone you liked dies in real life, though, the main thing that makes you sad is your memories of that person. Unless you are really caught up in something then you will have these memories when the person dies (otherwise you will have them afterwards when the notion of the person being dead finally gets to sink in). If you know they are dying then you will probably have them beforehand too.

It is this that the flashbacks are representative of, and as such I would argue that they are realistic.

Unless you only mean flashbacks that occur before the character dies AND when there is nothing in the scene that would give you good reason to believe that the character is about to die.

Also, last words is not as fictional as you may think - it is fairly common, if someone who has a reason to keep themselves alive in order to tell someone something really important or to see something happen that they consider important to them which they firmly believe is going to happen soon, for someone to keep themselves alive through willpower, sometimes for several days or weeks. Then, more or less as soon as the important thing has happened, they die.

Of course, there are some situations where this couldn't happen, and you get it happening in these situations anyway in anime on occasion. But having this is not that odd, and there are plenty of situations in anime where it IS realistic.

Which leaves the music and the lighting. The latter I'm not really good at judging the effects of, but I don't see it being all that significant? There's no way to avoid that though.
On the other hand, there is a way to avoid the music - watching the subtitled version with sound off. Of course, you also miss out on the tones of voice, which can add to the scene, and which are realistic. I decided to check this on five scenes which I remembered as being particularly sad. Each one still triggered the same scale of emotional response, and two of the five were no sadder without the music than they were with it.

(Yes I am the sort of person to analyse something like this. If you have a problem with that, then remember that it is you who has the problem, not me.)
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 2, 2012 1:39 PM

Jul 2009
Remnants- said:

Picture this: A scene you remember with a decent character dying. Now imagine if that scene was played with:

Just imagine it more realistically.

Your character gets sick or hit in battle. Boom. Dead. Game over. Next. Would it be tear inducing? Doubt it.

You mean something like this? *Saving Private Ryan spoiler*

I don't doubt it.T_T
Jan 2, 2012 1:40 PM

Sep 2011
yah the characters you grow attached to will make you cry and even the character not dieing wont get you but more about how those surviving will go on without them

for example ano hand
JizzyHitlerJan 2, 2012 1:46 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 2, 2012 2:13 PM

Dec 2011
@kuuderes_shadow, I don't mind you analyzing anything. In fact, I enjoy a good, deep debate, as long as nothing starts to get rude. Now..

I agree with you on the first part. The main thing that makes someone sad is your memories of a person.. in real life. That's the thing. That can't happen, compared to anime. You don't directly interact or influence the character, so its much harder to get on THAT level of attachment.

Not so sure what to say about the flashbacks.. I'm confused on what you mean. If it was an argument, you can win. Whatever.

The last words, I will kind of agree with you. It can happen.When a character is coughing up blood, yet still speaking, I can't/won't believe that.

By lighting, an example would be the overpopular sudden rain. That isn't exactly lighting, but you get my point. A perfect sunset during a death counts perfectly, as I've seen that a few times too.

I will not take your last experiment as evidence, as its too late. Clearly since you've already seen those scenes, simply muting it while watching it again will not change the initial impact you first felt when watching it. I shouldn't have suggested that.

@orzel286,
That doesn't count.

That's shock factor. I didn't feel sad about his death, I felt bad (and slightly sick), that he was in that condition. You could have replaced that guy with just about anyone and have the same effect, which voids the "attachment to a specific character" part.

You made some point, as it doesn't have flashbacks/lighting/ or music, but it does have last words. Like I said. If it was "hit. boom. dead. move on, it wouldn't have been sad. He made a scene of his death while also using final words.

@DJIzzyIzzyHitler

That is a PERFECTLY good point.
Though I didn't find her that annoying. I found Yukiatsu annoying.
Remnants-Jan 2, 2012 2:26 PM
Jan 2, 2012 4:17 PM

Oct 2010
Well, the first thing I have to say here is that I do feel attached to the characters quite easily, in fact my enjoyment of a show depends on it because I can't enjoy anything if there is not enough interest on the events happening... and the characters take a very relevant part of it. Of course not in the same level everywhere (compare Cat Soup's requirements to Cowboy Bebop's), but as something to take into account always.

But for the question I quite honestly don't know how to answer. I don't think it's a "black or white" question. The emotional involvement on a show depends on so many things that trying to set a basis for every case is absurd. Going with the example of Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica...

However, I have to look no further than Lucky Star to prove the contrary:
jal90Jan 2, 2012 4:23 PM
Jan 2, 2012 8:54 PM

Jan 2011
Remnants- said:

Off-topic, but if it was I Want To See You Suffer... yeah.

Frankly I didn't go hardcore in IWBTG enough, so while I did a Very Hard Run, I didn't go enough to want to kill people and cause destruction to my beloved electronic equipment.

Remnants- said:

That is a PERFECTLY good point.
Though I didn't find her that annoying. I found Yukiatsu annoying.

Hmm, so being the true 'glue' of the group means no good qualities? I think I cried because I shipped Menma X Jintan. But hey, who knows, perhaps everyone is an 'intelligentsia' and found Menma to have no good qualities :trollface.jpg:

I find the example of a conscience very good: but however, if 'endearment' was to be made on an umbrella level, then wouldn't be witnessing the death already constitute connection, and thus endearment? In that case, an emotional reaction would be derived.

The 'true' no 'endearment' case is that of ignorance. If one is unware that some X person is suffering from injustice, illness or the threat of death, then I believe it is highly unlikely(read: impossible) for that person to feel any reaction, whatever the fate of X person might be. It's obvious: he can't form any connection because he doesn't know anything at all!

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 2, 2012 9:15 PM

Jun 2009
I haven't cried.

But came close a few times.

Clannad After Story

Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

Anohana

Aria The Origination

Shigofumi (Why I felt like crying during this scene is still a mystery to me)

I also found that I can sometimes feel very emotional during the most mundane scene.

one example is...
Utawarerumono
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2012 11:38 PM

Jul 2009
Remnants- said:

@orzel286,
That doesn't count.

That's shock factor. I didn't feel sad about his death, I felt bad (and slightly sick), that he was in that condition. You could have replaced that guy with just about anyone and have the same effect, which voids the "attachment to a specific character" part.

Why u no cried about his death!? He didn't get much screentime, but it was enough to get somewhat attached to him (and the rest of the squad).

You made some point, as it doesn't have flashbacks/lighting/ or music, but it does have last words. Like I said. If it was "hit. boom. dead. move on, it wouldn't have been sad. He made a scene of his death while also using final words.

But still.... He was crying for his mom instead of making your typical, half an hour "godbye all" speech.

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

14 by cyandaqil »»
33 seconds ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 14 minutes ago

2 by Maou_heika »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 5 hours ago

12 by pk8list »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

12 by Zettaiken »»
9 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

21 by _ATG_ »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.