Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Government To Sell Film Rights of Anime to Hollywood

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 3, 2011 4:49 AM

Oct 2010
With the crap Hollywood has been making recently...
Nov 3, 2011 4:51 AM
Jul 2018
A bleach live action would be so lulzy i would actually watch it.
Nov 3, 2011 5:15 AM
Sep 2011
this is so needless...and besides, is it still "anime" if its made in hollywood by us producers? i dont think so. fuck that...
Nov 3, 2011 5:16 AM

Oct 2010
im interested in what this will bring, but i don't like holywood and i think this could be bad, as long as it is only anime adaptions into live action films that is fine, but i don't think it will ever beat any anime.
Nov 3, 2011 5:31 AM

Jun 2010
Confucius said:
Just the words "Hollywood" and "Anime" in the same sentence foretell misfortunes to come...

I feel this way, but at the same time, I agree with this being
giraffesyo said:
...a great idea. The more exposure to the world the more funding, the more good animes really...

It could go either way. If the films are good, then either the anime could gain more popularity, or people will only like the adaption and go through the stupid "claiming its the original" routine. If the films are bad, this could lose the anime industry and Japan even more money, which is REALLY bad.

Cool thing is, the way I'm understanding this, the company itself will be regulated by Japan, so these movies will not be completely Americanized as in the past. Many ideas and works written in Japan that had no hope of making it to an international audience now have that hope. I think? I'm really just speculating here.

On the other hand, most of my fellow Americans are stupid, and are quick to think; they probably won't like this too much, since most Americans already dislike Japan for who knows why...
Nov 3, 2011 5:32 AM

Jan 2011
Cashdaxxx said:
Noooooooo!
it won't be called ANIME if that's the case.

(to the extreme lol)

LOL ^ This.
We can expect comics and cartoons, not anime anymore.
Nov 3, 2011 5:35 AM

Jul 2009
hmm...not sure if this is a good idea because America will probably mess everything up. But guess it will give the World more exposure to anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2011 5:42 AM

Jun 2010
....*starts looking for the Dragon Balls*
Nov 3, 2011 5:50 AM

Jul 2009
negativedemyx said:
Not here....where ARE they?! *resumes search*

Double posting is all you know how to do.
Nov 3, 2011 5:56 AM

Jun 2010
AdamHeroKid said:
negativedemyx said:
Not here....where ARE they?! *resumes search*

Double posting is all you know how to do.

Sorry didn't mean to annoy you...satisfied now? :/
Nov 3, 2011 5:57 AM

Oct 2010
daniellkun said:
Cashdaxxx said:
Noooooooo!
it won't be called ANIME if that's the case.

(to the extreme lol)

LOL ^ This.
We can expect comics and cartoons, not anime anymore.
Really? I thought this merely means Hollywood will get to produce movies based on anime rather than the anime itself.
Nov 3, 2011 6:04 AM

Jun 2010
I sincerely doubt this will go well......*continues to search the world for the Dragon Balls*
Nov 3, 2011 6:11 AM

Apr 2010
can you count it as an anime if it is made by hollywood?
She's basically saying, "I'm going to release my full power magic into you at point blank, so don't move, bitch."

Nov 3, 2011 6:19 AM

Aug 2010
I guess it could help the industry. I'll just make sure to stay the **** away from the adaptations. May everyone profit from this.
Nov 3, 2011 6:23 AM

Nov 2008
Live Action Movies based on anime + US = Disaster

Have there ever been a good live action movie in America based off anime: No

Will there ever be: I give it a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance

Nov 3, 2011 6:33 AM

Jul 2009
Hoppy said:
Live Action Movies based on anime + US = Disaster

Have there ever been a good live action movie in America based off anime: No

Will there ever be: I give it a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance

Has there ever been a good live action movie in Japan based off anime? Not really.
Nov 3, 2011 6:44 AM

Jun 2008
The WEEABOO is strong in this thread....

Some of you guys don't realize that Japanese real life film adaptations of anime are WORST than Hollywood adaptations.

For god sake at least in Hollywood they can fucking act!

In order to keep the weeaboos happy just give the major roles to Asians and keep the story as close as possible to the origin.

To keep Americans happy, just make sure they keep the ANIMU aspects low....

I honestly believe a Hollywood Death Note can be done MUCH better than what the Japanese did with their GOD HORRIBLE acting and low budget shit...
--ALEX--Nov 3, 2011 6:48 AM
Nov 3, 2011 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
Yes the Japanese live actions I have watched (Bleh) they were bad

Hollywood, produces 1 decent movie every what 5years?

1 fuck up like Dragonball E and i will be so tempted to burn hollywood to the ground.
Anime is anime you cant possibly live action it without turn it into complete piles of crap and has been run over by a car 20 times. Not to mention the wording will be completely different, how the character acts will be offset. I can hardly wait to how much dumber it will get
Nov 3, 2011 7:00 AM

Jun 2008
Miko_Rinyuu said:

Are you talking about anime adaptation movies or all movies in general???

Hollywood makes PLENTY of good movies EVERY YEAR!

The main problem with this topic is that 3D can NEVER = 2D, regardless of which country is doing it.

It just bothers me to see so much hate towards Hollywood, when Japanese Film makers are even WORST than Hollywood.
Nov 3, 2011 7:04 AM

Sep 2010
Meh I'll see what comes out of this.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 3, 2011 7:09 AM

Nov 2008
o hboy they just had to dod it didn't they
Nov 3, 2011 7:13 AM

Aug 2011
What is this? I don't even...

Hollywood and anime in the same sentence doesn't work out. We've seen that in the Dragon Ball film. It made me cry at how bad it really was...

Inb4 another disaster.
Nov 3, 2011 7:29 AM

Jun 2009
JustALEX said:
Some of you guys don't realize that Japanese real life film adaptations of anime are WORST than Hollywood adaptations.

JustALEX said:
It just bothers me to see so much hate towards Hollywood, when Japanese Film makers are even WORST than Hollywood.

W-O-R-S-E. Worse. Not worst. Worse.

Anyway, there will come a day when hollywood will figure out how to make anime work as a live action movie like how they finally figured out how to make a good comic book adaptation. But today is not that day.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Nov 3, 2011 7:31 AM

Nov 2007
なにそれ?食えるの? (What's this? Is it edible?) (jk)
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 3, 2011 7:33 AM

Aug 2011
I have taken the liberty to perform some extreme analytical analysis and determined that the probability of anything good coming from this venture is near zero.

I can only see this ruining chances of anime becoming more mainstream in the west.

Klabautermann said:
Well, seeing as producers will be from US, and the whole thing will be done in Hollywood, I think we can expect a lot of bloody awesome movies in years to come! ^^

I didn't know it was possible to be this naive.

...Wait. Maybe I just got trolled.

...No. Doesn't look like it.
Nov 3, 2011 7:42 AM

Jun 2008
AidanAK47 said:
W-O-R-S-E. Worse. Not worst. Worse.

Yeah, you're right, I got the two words mixed up....my mistake.

AidanAK47 said:
Anyway, there will come a day when hollywood will figure out how to make anime work as a live action movie like how they finally figured out how to make a good comic book adaptation. But today is not that day.

It's quite simple....go after anime that doesn't rely so much on fantasy/battle plot...

Death Note CAN work, it's a police drama theme which Hollywood has already excelled in, they don't have to worry about super powers or swords, or martial arts or nothing too special.

The only problem will be if anime fans can stop being so retarded about there being a "White" person playing Light Yagami...

It's funny because I didn't see people bitching about a Japanese actor playing "L" even though he's NOT Japanese but British :/
Nov 3, 2011 7:46 AM

May 2011
FMA Hollywood would be cool lol
Nov 3, 2011 7:48 AM

Sep 2011
Confucius said:
Just the words "Hollywood" and "Anime" in the same sentence foretell misfortunes to come...
true that
Nov 3, 2011 7:51 AM
Jul 2010
This could be interesting...
Nov 3, 2011 7:55 AM

Aug 2009
This'll just bring movies like Dragon Ball one, wasn't all that bad, gonna check out the movies.
Nov 3, 2011 8:23 AM

Jun 2008
Confucius said:

QFT D;
Nov 3, 2011 8:28 AM

Sep 2011
Confucius said:
Nov 3, 2011 8:33 AM

Nov 2010
I can't imagine this ending well.
Nov 3, 2011 8:53 AM

Mar 2009
dtshyk said:
Film Rights of Anime to Hollywood

Stopped reading there...

This hasn't worked well before. Are they actually going to supervise/control the quality now?
108s9001Nov 3, 2011 8:57 AM

Nov 3, 2011 9:01 AM
Jun 2008
just please as long there 3 things

1.keep it based on anime give more true on anime.

2.no original hollywood stuff on live action version of anime please stick based on anime.

3.not another doing on live action anime movie version really they barely keep based on anime.

really stay true to the anime & if safe way doing make a live action animes be on tv then movie.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Nov 3, 2011 9:07 AM

Jan 2011
cr4sian_phil said:
Expect Bleach, Naruto and One Piece live action movies to be announced in 3...2...1....

That would be pretty awesome actually.

Live action Hitman reborn and Soul eater would be pretty Cool also.
[center]
Nov 3, 2011 9:09 AM

Apr 2008
Hmmm...I suppose all Hollywood will have to do now is:

1. acquire the rights
2. change the character's names
3. change the character's personalities, races and ages
4. change the level of violence
5. change the setting to the U.S. or the West
6. change the main storyline

...and then they'll be all set. :P

But then Hollywood's version will be too different from the original version for most anime fans to care.
Nov 3, 2011 9:12 AM

Apr 2010
bloodlover said:
Salinga said:
giraffesyo said:
I think this is actually a great idea. The more exposure to the world the more funding, the more good animes really...

This. If they produce more live-action films based on anime (assuming they're not Dragonball Evolution) there will be more interest and hopefully more sales, which is a good thing.

Unless USA will make some derp movies that will totally miss the point of the original anime or change it very much so the average american will understand it. Either way I see it as bad thing since Hollywood can only make 2-3 good movies/year. The rest are summer blockbusters that have no real value thus being junk.

That's why I mentioned that as long as they're not like Dragonball.

Hollywood makes plenty of decent movies every years. You just have to look for the ones not advertised as much.

Now that I think about it....what other live-action movies are there that based off anime? The only ones everyone seems to be thinking about are Dragonball and the new Akira.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Nov 3, 2011 9:13 AM

Apr 2010
VioLink said:
cr4sian_phil said:
Expect Bleach, Naruto and One Piece live action movies to be announced in 3...2...1....

I think a live-action Baccano! would work perfectly for an adaptation. The only unfortunate thing is that they'd probably have to tone down the violence.
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Nov 3, 2011 9:16 AM
Oct 2008
>Americans are going to handle anime
No, the Japanese versions are better. Americans are going to ruin it.

>Some kind of announcement of an anime in Japan.
how does shit like this get animated yet baccano is still left hanging

IS THIS NOT WHAT YOU WANT MAL? DO YOU NOT WANT YOUR ANIME TO BE MAJOR INVESTMENTS RATHER THAN "HAREMS" AND "FANSERVICE"?
Nov 3, 2011 9:21 AM

May 2010
JustALEX said:
Miko_Rinyuu said:

Are you talking about anime adaptation movies or all movies in general???

Hollywood makes PLENTY of good movies EVERY YEAR!

It just bothers me to see so much hate towards Hollywood, when Japanese Film makers are even WORST than Hollywood.[/quote

Can you name 5 good movies that came out from Hollywood this year? And no, Transformers or *insert random summer blockbuster* is not a good movie. I also disagree on the second statement. Japan makes very good movies. But ofc it depends what you understand by good and where you look for them.

edit : Confessions is a much better mindf**k movie than Inception . Just one example of movies that came out in the same year but one is vastly superior to the other.
PandaMaster99Nov 3, 2011 9:25 AM
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Nov 3, 2011 9:21 AM

Jun 2008
LOL the comments on here are so typical of MAL users. The JAPANESE GOVERNEMNT is using TAXPAYERS' MONEY to fund this project, but OH GOD NOOO MY PRECIOUS ANIMU WILL BE RUINED!!!1

Get over yourselves. Please.

As to what I think the quality of the films will be like...

Zeream said:
Cool thing is, the way I'm understanding this, the company itself will be regulated by Japan, so these movies will not be completely Americanized as in the past. Many ideas and works written in Japan that had no hope of making it to an international audience now have that hope. I think? I'm really just speculating here.

That's how I read it as well. It says the people behind the project will be working WITH American producers, not just palming it off to whoever. Hopefully they'll be more familiar with the anime being adapted and will discuss it at length with the American producers to work through the cultural differences and reach a compromise, rather than the films ending up totally Americanised.

It is ridiculous to think any American film adaptation of anime will turn out like Dragon Ball Evolution in the first place: DB is so cartoonish it would only ever work in an animated form so trying to make a LA movie was never going to work no matter who made it. The same could be said of the big three, so I doubt if they have any sense they'll even attempt to buy the film rights for them.

There are a few manga and anime I think would work great as an American film-FMA, for example, has a mostly Western setting and if it had the right names behind it could be an amazing fim, or even a series of films. Hopefully the people behind this project will be looking at anime with a Western setting as they'd just translate better over all.

(That was veryyy rambly...I need to learn to edit myself better, xD;)
Nov 3, 2011 9:29 AM

Jan 2011
Salinga said:
VioLink said:
cr4sian_phil said:

I think a live-action Baccano! would work perfectly for an adaptation. The only unfortunate thing is that they'd probably have to tone down the violence.

YEAH since it's so American themed it would be a awesome adaption and tell a great story!! Tiger & Bunny would make a nice adaption also.
[center]
Nov 3, 2011 9:30 AM
Feb 2011
Like most people here, this news terrifies me, however i think this might be sucessful if done right. That being said, this might only be succesful if it is americanised. Meaning that only anime that are not too Japanese may be succesful. Plots and themes that are not neccesarilly Japanese oriented might have a better chance at turning a profit. And I am sure anything with a loli will fail.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nov 3, 2011 9:34 AM
Mar 2011
the idea of DB are so asian that there cannot be worked by hollywood people who have no idea what journey to the west is thats why DB E did not work the Taiwan DB movie may stray form the manga but it keeps true to the the thing were toriyama took all his ideas from for the db
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 3, 2011 9:35 AM

May 2008
Hope its nothing like Dragon ball Evolution that was such a disappointment.
Nov 3, 2011 9:35 AM

Apr 2010
VioLink said:
Salinga said:
VioLink said:
cr4sian_phil said:

YEAH since it's so American themed it would be a awesome adaption and tell a great story!! Tiger & Bunny would make a nice adaption also.

I'm not sure about Tiger and Bunny since I haven't seen it, but if it's a superhero series those tend to be well-liked in America. C:
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Nov 3, 2011 9:36 AM

Apr 2011
i think i ll quit anime if us makes it !!!! they do not make daily life , thoughts and many more!!!!!

rainbow live action ?
Nov 3, 2011 9:37 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Jesus H.Assfuck Christ. What does they Japanese Government have to do with the entertainment industry anyway? Japan isn't a police state, so what the hell? And I hope america isn't going to have an influence on anime. If so, we can kiss all the good shit goodbye. Japan's BEST diplomatic friend may be the US, but there are times when Japan should just ignore the US.
Nov 3, 2011 9:40 AM

Jul 2009
Lolicon said:
Jesus H.Assfuck Christ. What does they Japanese Government have to do with the entertainment industry anyway? Japan isn't a police state, so what the hell? And I hope america isn't going to have an influence on anime. If so, we can kiss all the good shit goodbye. Japan's BEST diplomatic friend may be the US, but there are times when Japan should just ignore the US.

You are overreacting, seriously, your post lacks common sense.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
24 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
3 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
4 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.