Forum Settings
Forums

What do you do when you're ignored by your friend(s)?

New
Oct 22, 2011 11:15 AM

Jun 2011
Ok, so it often happens that your friends tend to ignore you for a good reason and sometimes for some reason you're not aware of. In my case, I feel ignored often at school by my best friend when we're with our other friends. I'm the 'quit type' and I'm definitely not the 'center of attention' in our group xD While my friends continue to chatter among themselves, I just watch them, waiting for my chance to say something and nodding or laughing when I need to. All my friends have interesting stuffs and gossips to share while I don't have any so I feel isolated. Do you face similar situations and if yes, then what do you do? Just hang there? Walk away to find something else to do? Or, try to catch your friends' attention?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 22, 2011 11:18 AM

Aug 2011
Shoot them in the head.

But yeah, I'm just like you.
I don't even try to do anything. Maybe just leave or something.
Oct 22, 2011 11:21 AM

Oct 2010
Go play soccer with them, I don't know..

But it help you interact with them more.
Oct 22, 2011 11:25 AM

Oct 2010
As much as the typical strong-yet-silent character would lead you to believe, being quiet amongst your friends wont lead to anything productive, social wise. Think of all your friends, specifically the close ones; you most likely became friends because you talk to each other often or share experiences.

You reap what you sow. You feel ignored only because you yourself do not go in and input to the conversation. Be rid of your shyness, honestly, it doesn't matter if you look stupid, or say something stupid. Say something! Crack a joke, comment on whatever, share your interests, compliment someone.

I know it's harder said than done but go out and start talking, you'll never feel ignored again. Perhaps you give away the cool/strong guy archetype but then again, they don't exactly have budding social lives, do they?

Oct 22, 2011 11:32 AM

Dec 2010
If you are in the situation where people are talking around you, try and contribute to a conversation you're interested in. Heck, it's easier because you say they're your friends already. To make it easier, there must be one of the group you say is your 'best friend'; join the conversation they're in.

I'm not the most extroverted type, but since I'm with my friends it is much easier to initiate/contribute towards conversations.
Oct 22, 2011 11:39 AM

Jun 2011
Make those acquaintances into friends
Or just get to know at least one of them very well, then each pair or something eventually connect together like a puzzle and it'll be a nice group of "friends"
Oct 22, 2011 11:39 AM

Aug 2011
I'm never ignored so...

You could just do what Tiago97 said. The latter, to be exact. Shooting someone in the head will land you in jail.

But you could always do it with something non-lethal. Whatever works!

Oct 22, 2011 11:44 AM

Oct 2011
Offer sex. If you still get ignored - then you're either dirty or ugly.
Oct 22, 2011 12:39 PM

Dec 2010
Well, noone really ignores me in real life because I try to be humble. I guess you can say they sort of respect me. I don't go saying stupid shit that pisses people off or that makes me seem arrogant/annoying.

I'm the type of guy who you'd never talk shit (even jokingly) to. I don't know, it's weird. I was hanging out with a couple of my long-time friends and they talk shit to each other for fun but they would never direct any of that language to me.

I guess I'm viewed as a "cool" dude.

Oct 22, 2011 1:00 PM

May 2011
Get new friends.
Oct 22, 2011 1:02 PM

May 2011
Win at lottery, buy monster truck and drive over them house.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Oct 22, 2011 1:02 PM

Jul 2011
Forest-kun said:
Get new friends.

you sir know how to live :3
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Oct 22, 2011 1:11 PM

May 2009
Ignored?

Why would you get ignored, unless you are talking about something really stupid.
Oct 22, 2011 1:13 PM

Mar 2008
Ditch them (or find people in that group) and find people who share my interests so I can enjoy conversations with them rather than feel obligated to add to a conversation I have no interest in.

Takes a lot of genuine "not giving a single fuck about being a complete loner or caring about what other people think" though.
Oct 22, 2011 1:15 PM

Jun 2009
Act moderately random when your friends are talking. In a quite moment you can spout off an interesting fact because that usually works for me if I can't think of anything else to say, I usually get good reactions.
Oct 22, 2011 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
Fui said:
Ditch them (or find people in that group) and find people who share my interests so I can enjoy conversations with them rather than feel obligated to add to a conversation I have no interest in.

Takes a lot of genuine "not giving a single fuck about being a complete loner or caring about what other people think" though.

Pretty much what I was going to say. In high school there were a lot of less popular kids who I probably had more in common with, but I'd only hang out with if none of my group of friends were available.

Sometimes, though, it is just too easy to get set in a groove. It is easier to sit and listen than to go out on a limb. But just because you may find yourself wanting to branch out and make friends with more common interests doesn't mean you have to leave your old friends in the dust.
Oct 22, 2011 1:35 PM
Mar 2011
Srecem
Giga drill braker and punch a wall

but a never get ignored
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 22, 2011 1:37 PM

Jun 2011
Leave and not give a shit.
Oct 22, 2011 1:57 PM

Mar 2011
ignored, but how? it depends...

one day it's not a problem

two days it would be a little...ekhm wtf?

three days and more - probably i will write, or talk to this person on my own and ask simple question 'why?'

but if after that, she/he would not talk to me any more...his/her problem. probably they are not worth to run after them and fight for their friendship.
inqquw.jpg
Oct 22, 2011 2:04 PM

Jul 2010
This post sure is great. Please share more about your highschool issues. I can totally relate. I too am an awkward penguin that hangs around people that I call best friends and get ignored constantly by them. Tell me about your boy issues, did you hold hands with anyone yet? Please, I need more of this! 20 posts about social awkwardness isn't enough. I can't believe the people that just say ''stop taking other peoples shit, you deserve better'' and instead get new friends and boy/girlfriends. So unreasonable. Please abuse me more, so that I'm ready for when my abusive boyfriend gets me pregnant and throws me down a flight of stairs.

best community ever, big hugs.
Oct 22, 2011 2:08 PM

Feb 2011
I usually talk when its necessary in casual conversations (only when I feel neutral and calm I guess). But usually there is a heated argument about god knows what everyday, so I get quite aggressive, shutting them down

But if someone ignores me, I usually punch them and say
"Oi dick, listen bro". It works.
Oct 22, 2011 2:11 PM

Feb 2008
Icolyze said:
This post sure is great. Please share more about your highschool issues. I can totally relate. I too am an awkward penguin that hangs around people that I call best friends and get ignored constantly by them. Tell me about your boy issues, did you hold hands with anyone yet? Please, I need more of this! 20 posts about social awkwardness isn't enough. I can't believe the people that just say ''stop taking other peoples shit, you deserve better'' and instead get new friends and boy/girlfriends. So unreasonable. Please abuse me more, so that I'm ready for when my abusive boyfriend gets me pregnant and throws me down a flight of stairs.

AAA+ post

would read with eyeballs again.
Oct 22, 2011 2:12 PM

Oct 2011
Just ignore them back.
This love for Hirasawa Yui consumes me, washing over my dirty weeaboo body with a cleansing warmth that allows me to reach greater heights. It inspires me to be a better man; not the man they deserve, but the man she deserves. Yui, I love you. With everything I have. You are my one, my only. Mai waifu.
Oct 22, 2011 2:13 PM

Mar 2011
Let's see, I used to care about this, and then I stopped.

Basically, if you aint contributing, and don't find it interesting, go. I know socially it might take some nerves (as has been said) but people are going to notice you're not talking after a while, and that's worse.

It's times like those I put on my headphones and start listening to music, not the most socialable thing to do, but it's better than suffering through awkwardness. If your friend is talking with people that you know tend to lead to conversations you find it hard to have an input in, then just don't join in the conversation at all.

The only time I find it difficult is if I'm with a group of people, and none of them are the incredibly chatty type, and it's prone to fall into awkward silences. I've never been able to handle a group of people who don't want to talk. Well, sometimes acting like an idiot works, because it gives the quiet types a chance to put themselves above someone, making them confident enough to talk, but I try to use that as little as possible, despite it's incredible effectiveness.
Oct 22, 2011 2:18 PM

Sep 2011
Smack him in the face and tell him to make me a sandwich. I don't care if its a guy, he is still making me my god dam sandwich.
Oct 22, 2011 2:26 PM

Dec 2010
Icolyze said:

Well for starters, talking to others about something they are interested in is always a good way to hold up a conversation and not be ignored. People really overlook this simple practice for some reason.

Commenting on people's opinion on things can sometimes put people on the spot so you should avoid doing so unless you know they can shrug it off or take it as a joke.

Seriously, if your friend's start ignoring you after everytime you say something, just stop talking. Start asking questions every now and then instead.

If they're talking about a football game, ask them about the score even if you don't watch it. You don't have to pretend you know it, but try to facilitate the conversation so that either you or the rest of your friends can continue talking. Not only will you not be ignored, but you will actually contribute to something socially with your friends. Once you build enough of a "reputation" for yourself, you can start telling stories.

That doesn't mean you start telling random shitty stories like how you cleaned the house and found a penny. Obviously, stories that are crazy, rare, funny, exciting usually garner more attention and facilitates more of a discussion than everyday things. It doesn't even have to be a full fledged story, it can just be something that randomly happened to you.

err...well the last paragraph was more of like how to talk to people... but basically, to be able to have conversations in the first place requires yourself not to be ignored when you're talking to your friends.

So key concepts would be to stop talking too much, listen more, give a few short comments every now and then, and start asking general questions.

If all else fails, cry under a rock or move on.

Oct 22, 2011 3:55 PM

Jun 2011
I am also the quiet type, and I've been in this situation many times before. I understand that it is difficult to be outgoing and open when you have a shy disposition, but you are the one preventing yourself from being noticed. It is not your friends' responsibility to get you to participate in the conversation.

If you feel like you have nothing interest to contribute, then maybe you should think about making your life more interesting to talk about. Get more involved in your school or community, try to learn new things and develop new skills. Pick up a new book, watch a new television series, go see a good movie - something that you think you could potentially share with your friends. Find new hobbies, particularly ones that you think you and your friends could enjoy together.
Oct 22, 2011 4:05 PM

Jul 2011
Be less of a douche. They'll stop ignoring you. Or make new friends. Or move somewhere else.

Friends are overrated anyway. I rather be alone riding my motorcycle than listening to some chick at the coffee store about how stupid her boyfriend is, the very same dude that has cheated on her AND has been together with for three years. AND THEN, hit on me on the car ride back home.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Oct 22, 2011 4:18 PM

Feb 2009
There's an expression. You can please most of the people most of the time, and some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Now just adjust that to read you can't be interesting to the people all of the time.

Stop expecting to be interesting just because your breathing.

I'm an extrovert, an extreme extrovert. I've never once felt 'ignored' in my life. But, I sure as hell don't expect people to consider me interesting all of the time. That would be the height of arrogant.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Oct 22, 2011 4:21 PM

Mar 2009
Ignore them.
Oct 22, 2011 6:42 PM

Jul 2010
How can they ignore you if you don't say shit?
It's been a while...
Oct 22, 2011 8:40 PM
Jul 2018
If they don't listen to you it's because you don't share common interests. Get new friends
Oct 23, 2011 12:09 AM

Dec 2010
I don't know? Remain introspective? Wait until someone strikes up a conversation? Go play a videogame? Lift weights?

Isn't too much of an issue whether or not someone stops talking to me. If you feel troubled by a friend ignoring you, why not do something about it? Unless they're ignoring your presence entirely you shouldn't feel so broken about it. Everyone has priorities and everyone has a different set of values. And that's that.

If your best friend is ignoring you, try to open up. Asking them "Did I do something wrong?" isn't all that hard. And, if they have pretty much ignored you and have absolutely refused to compromise, just brush them off if they ever want to talk to you-- regardless of the urgency or what they're asking. People reap what they sow, et cetera et cetera.
Oct 23, 2011 12:17 AM

Aug 2008
If they ignore you too much, then they're not really your friends. If they only ignore you a few times under special circumstances then... well, everything should be back to normal soon.

Honestly though, I'd rather have no friends than have false friends. If your "friends" don't appreciate you, then stop hanging out with them. They'll either miss you and call you up, or they'll forget about you and move on. If the latter happens, then you don't need them.

I'm introvert, and it doesn't really bother me.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Oct 23, 2011 8:58 AM
Apr 2011
Most of the time I annoy them and If they still ignore me I punch them x)

Oct 23, 2011 9:10 AM
Aug 2011
Sometimes, I wished my friends ignored me. Too much attention can be a bothersome.
Oct 23, 2011 9:27 AM

Dec 2008
when u say u get ignored, do u mean u talk/ask ur friend/'s and they are not responding at all.
if that is so, then id say start getting other friends if it keeps on going on.
if it is only cause u dont talk to them, and u expect them to start the cenvensation and forcefully drag u into it, then u should just start joining the cenvensation urself. since they probly arent going to drag u in if u not trying urself.
Oct 23, 2011 9:35 AM

Oct 2011
make sure your friends appreciate you. :( you don't wanna be friends with people who just string you along. i had the same problems in high school and then I ended up looking around, making new friends, which is how i met my best friend of now 4 years c: you might just need someone more like you.
Oct 23, 2011 9:39 AM
Jul 2011
Yodelman said:
Just ignore them back.

This. As well as finding new friends.
Oct 23, 2011 9:45 AM

Oct 2009
They sure don't sound like nice friends..

But with me, my friends don't ignore me. I wouldn't say any of us are the center of attention (well maybe one-off days if someone in the group has something up), which is the way it should be as a group of friends.
Oct 23, 2011 9:50 AM

Mar 2011
Kyuu46 said:
Offer sex. If you still get ignored - then you're either dirty or ugly.

^ This guy's a fail at life so please disregard him.
.....................................................................................
I know how you feel. I was just like that a few years back but I decided to give my self a personality makeover. Become more loud, outgoing, funny and WEIRD. Not that you have too, but you can always try doing new thing with your friends and with you personality.
Oct 23, 2011 10:08 AM

Jan 2011
I totally know that feeling. But it isn't that i feel ignored, its more like the topic isn't interesting. even when I try being interested, then i can't think of a good comment to make.

so i often try to talk about something that everyone can talk about and that brings forth a discussion. its more interesting that way.
Oct 23, 2011 10:14 AM

Jul 2010
sometimes they just have different things to talk about.

Oct 23, 2011 1:09 PM

Jan 2011
I just scream in their hears I guess, when I'm speaking I'm loud so it's hard to ignore me.
Oct 23, 2011 3:01 PM

Jun 2007
Friends don't ignore you.
Oct 23, 2011 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
I know how you feel. It's a horrible feeling. Speak up, comment on what's going on

Edefrem said:

Become more loud, outgoing, funny and WEIRD. Not that you have too, but you can always try doing new thing with your friends and with you personality.

~~becoming weird actually works.
Oct 23, 2011 4:32 PM

Jun 2008
JJandWine said:
How can they ignore you if you don't say shit?
Pretty much. Among friend circles, nobody is going to ask "what's your opinion on this" when conversations are flowing fluidly. If you have something to say, say it. If you don't, don't.

The problem lies within you more than them, I think. I do wonder how you became friends in the first place, you must have talked to them before even if you are the quiet type. People don't become friends all of a sudden without dialogues. If you did talk before, then it's normal for them that you don't say a lot.

Sometimes conversation is just like that. If it's a hot topic and everyone want a say in it, it's common for some to get interrupted or ignored. This doesn't mean your friends are bad people or you shouldn't hang out with them though. If they always talk about things you don't have a comment on, I do wonder how you became friends in the first place (again).
Leondre said:
Friends don't ignore you.
In an ideal world, sure. In this world? Not really.
Oct 23, 2011 7:24 PM

Jul 2011
if they ignore you, they're not your friends. period.
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Oct 24, 2011 4:13 AM

Dec 2009
Just butt in. If they get annoyed by you being in the conversation, then dump 'em... and dump 'em good.
Oct 24, 2011 4:24 AM

Jul 2011
It's normal that people start talking different things even you got still something to say. Wait up when they finished talking and then finish talking what you was about to talk :)

But if they totally ignore you and don't talk you etc.. then they aren't you friends.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you like the person above you? v6 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Sep 7, 2023

1388 by Pinoffin »»
19 seconds ago

» Have you listened to any song from the artist/band above? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shitaste - Feb 2, 2020

6026 by Drumbottle »»
33 seconds ago

» If the above user is now your family member , what will they be to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Pinoffin - Feb 12

176 by Pinoffin »»
1 minute ago

» how much do you hate the user above ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cody - Dec 17, 2017

321 by Animeistaken »»
3 minutes ago

» "Marry/Fuck/Kill" the 3 people above you! - V.5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Nov 19, 2021

7266 by Dostojevskij »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.