Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wise to watch anime you DON'T LIKE, just for the sake of completion???

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2011 12:09 PM

Nov 2010
I just can't force myself to drop anything, I blame it on my completionist personality. I just put it on hold, even through deep down I know I'll never be able to force myself to finish it, especially if the anime in question bores me to death(and that happens pretty often).
Oct 1, 2011 1:46 PM
Aug 2011
Of course not. If you think it sucks, just stop watching the damn thing.
Oct 1, 2011 2:58 PM

Jun 2011
Well, I really don't like dropping animes and I try not to do it... If anime has 12-13 episodes, I always watch it until the end no matter how much I dislike it... I even watch those of 20-26 episodes sometimes, if they are bareable... but if the anime has 25+ episodes and I don't like it, I drop it... But it rarely happens to me xD
Oct 1, 2011 6:43 PM
Sep 2011
no! I stop watching it right away if i dislike it.

Spirited Away is a masterpiece !!
Oct 1, 2011 10:12 PM
Sep 2011
I always try to finish a show but sometimes my ADD kicks in and there is just no way i can pay attention to a certain show. Iv literally re watched some scenes more then 20 times just trying to pay attention and when that happens i drop the series. However sometimes i can tell within the first minute or so that im absolutely going to hate a show and just insta drop it.

However my time is completely worthless and i really dont have anything better to do. My plan to watch list is empty (except 2 shows im waiting to be dubbed to watch) so i usually dont have anything better to watch either. Also i dont watch shonens anymore so i dont run into having to drop long series.

Sometimes it even pays off like with school days but sometimes it doesnt like with Now and Then, Here and There which gave me a rage headache.
(placeholder sig)
Oct 1, 2011 10:13 PM
Nov 2008
Yeah, because then your e-peen increases in length and girth.
Oct 2, 2011 3:56 PM

Apr 2011
I used to, but then I realized how stupid I was for doing so.
Oct 2, 2011 5:09 PM

Jan 2008
I don't have a problem with dropping shows I don't like. Time is too precious to waste it on boring shows xD
Oct 10, 2011 7:31 PM

Oct 2011
It is and it isn't at the same time.

It kind of opens your variety for a new possibility of animes you might enjoy.

However I've suffered through some real bullshit, Like the time warp in the newer Haruhi, 8 episodes of the exact same crap >_<

And I'm more into action animes so I still hate the person who recommended Znt to me grrr but I suffered through it anyways and now there's going to be a s4 of it amg :/

It's good for a new experience every now and then but if your watching a drop dead boring anime, even though I have never dropped one sometimes I ask myself why :/
Oct 10, 2011 7:50 PM

Aug 2011
I used to think so but stopped when I found out an anime I really didn't like was about 100 episodes long (I don't remember what it was) so I quit and started dropping anime I didn't like, but I was still dropping some anime at the first episode back then
Oct 10, 2011 7:54 PM

Sep 2009
I do it all the time. But I will never watch a long shounen to completion if I don't like it. Which is why 3 of them are currently on hold. Possibly forever.
Oct 11, 2011 2:04 AM

Aug 2011
i do that sometimes but only for short anime 12-13 ep or 24-26 ep
i refer to others to make sure if it's worth it for further watching
but sometimes i put it on hold for so long it just remain there in my hard disk

iSignature

"I specialize in reading manga but don't get how to draw manga at all" -Asaba Yuuki-
Oct 11, 2011 5:14 AM

Apr 2011
maybe
RANDOM FRIEND REQUESTS ARE ALWAYS ACCEPTED
Oct 11, 2011 5:40 AM

Jan 2011
Isn't anime entertainment? A hobby perhaps? Why the hell would I do something I don't like to do in my free time?
Oct 11, 2011 5:49 AM
May 2009
I give anime I think might change a chance, if it doesn't I drop it.

Since I don't want to waste what little time I already have on something that I would regret watching, when I could watch something that would brighten my day.
Oct 11, 2011 7:33 AM
Aug 2009
No matter who says what..In the end, watching tv,playing games and watching anime is all a waste of time....which i tend to do about 70% of the day...But that doesnt mean you should have a bad time...you can have a wonderful waste of time..that could turn into something worthwhile such as a lesson learned/laughter or crying...Just saying..Never watch something u detest...i learnt that lesson with soul eater.
Oct 11, 2011 7:39 AM

Oct 2011
Just wondering: how many of you are stupid enough to watch something that you just don't like?
Oct 11, 2011 9:09 AM

Sep 2010
This is an interesting question: Is it wise to watch anime you DON'T LIKE, just for the sake of completion?

For people who claims they didn't like the show but ends up completing it? The fact that they completed it only means that "that particular anime they don't like actually has likeable feature/s, they just don't want to admit it.
Oct 11, 2011 10:47 AM

Jun 2008
Wise? Finishing something you don't like (AKA wasting your time) is a stupid thing to do.

hugging six rabbits and having pink nightmares
Oct 11, 2011 7:14 PM

Jul 2010
^true story

Oct 11, 2011 9:21 PM

Apr 2011
The only reason why I would even consider watching an anime I don't like to completion, is if I had the intention of writing a review about it. Otherwise, what's the point? I could definitely use what free time I do have to watch something I'd actually enjoy.
Fuzzy Pickles!
Oct 11, 2011 9:57 PM

Apr 2007
Theres just too many anime series for "completion" so no. Chances are, you're going to force yourself to watch a lot of things you don't like. Anime is supposed to be for entertainment, which is why it's aired on TV. It's stupid that anyone would watch it for the sake of completion. I guess you would only get a moment of glory or something when you spend over 10 hours trying to finish something.
Oct 11, 2011 10:05 PM

Jan 2011
My rules of dropping anime are as follows....
1. Watch until I fall asleep during an episode. Because if I can fall asleep during an Anime something is wrong.
2. IF I hear good things, I'll try it again. Like with several novels I've read, it can take a while to get good. Sometimes the good later outweighs to crap in the beginning. "Sometimes" :C
Oct 11, 2011 10:11 PM

Sep 2011
I usually look up a great amount of information before watching an Anime (Without spoiling any of it) so usually the Animes I watch turn out pretty good. (Which is the reason why I basically never dropped an Anime excluding 2)

My friend loves to put himself through hell just for the sake of completion. I find no reason to do that because if you don't enjoy it, why continue it yenno? xD There are some exceptions for this though. If you want to become an Anime critique/reviewer than hell, watch whatever Anime you please. xD
Oct 11, 2011 10:32 PM

Sep 2011
if you don't like a particular show then you shouldn't watch it. you'll only end up being frustrated and become a critic of that show. if you don't like it just leave it alone it's better that way rather than becoming a critic just because you're silly enough to finish watching it 'till the end. @_@
Oct 11, 2011 10:45 PM

Mar 2009
I find this question hard to answer, but that is only because all the animes I watch I find very good. So far, I haven't found one that I have actually hated and thus have enjoyed watching every single one ^_^

Oct 11, 2011 10:48 PM

Aug 2011
depends on how bad it is, how long it is

shugo chara hit the nail. bad and suuuuper long
Oct 11, 2011 11:00 PM

Jul 2008
WATCH ALL THE THINGS!
Oct 15, 2011 11:54 AM

Jul 2011
well... if i don't like it i just drop it.. =.="
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2011 12:29 PM

Sep 2011
If you don't like it, you don't have to finish watching it.
Unless you want to see if the anime improves, don't finish it.
Nov 7, 2011 9:51 PM

Apr 2011
Is it wise? Nope. Do people still do it? Yup. Do those same people then tell other people they should do the same thing? Yup.

Anime is entertainment, not a job or obligation. Yeah, even the worst anime took a lot of time, money and effort to create, but that doesn't obligate me to observe it. The creator of an anime has an obligation to make it entertaining, and if he/she doesn't do their job with you, you have no obligation to be their audience. Especially if you're not living in Japan, you aren't really the target demographic anyway. The studios could care less if you download their latest episodes or refuse to watch it further (tho if you like it enough to buy it that would interest them).

Now if anime *is* your job, you're a professional anime critic or whatever, then yeah, watch it all the way through. If it's just a hobby/time waster, then drop it and find something else to watch. Or read a book or go outside, anything but wasting your limited life on a terrible show.
Nov 7, 2011 10:09 PM

Nov 2008
No sense in forcing yourself.

Nov 7, 2011 10:12 PM

Sep 2010
Ezekiel said:

Who's being forced. Some people like to complete the anime they start.

Nov 7, 2011 10:23 PM

Nov 2008
Anime_Name said:
Ezekiel said:

If that makes you happy, good for you. But unless the show shows potential to hook you later or rewards you in some way other than entertaining you, I personally don't see the point.

Nov 7, 2011 10:28 PM

Sep 2011
Depends on the reason for watching. If you're just watching to enjoy, then obviously you should stop.

If you're trying to review it or have some other motives, you might wanna finish it.
Nov 7, 2011 10:59 PM

Jun 2011
No. It's pointless to waste time on a series that you don't enjoy watching when there are so many other things you could be doing that you actually do enjoy.
Nov 7, 2011 11:01 PM

Sep 2010
Ezekiel said:
Anime_Name said:
Ezekiel said:

If that makes you happy, good for you. But unless the show shows potential to hook you later or rewards you in some way other than entertaining you, I personally don't see the point.

The only way to now if there is a hook or something else later is to watch it. Hell I don't know what else anime is supposed to do other than entertain.
I don't watch anime in search of 10s or the next big thing nor do I randomly pick up anime without knowing what they are about. Whatever I pickup has a story which made me want to know how it plays out and that is where I can most of my entertainment from. Completing a story is satisfying. Dropping a story only means you'll never get the full picture and never are able to create an informed opinion about it.
Anime_NameNov 7, 2011 11:05 PM

Nov 7, 2011 11:13 PM

Apr 2011
Anime_Name said:

The only way to now if there is a hook or something else later is to watch it. Hell I don't know what else anime is supposed to do other than entertain.
I don't watch anime in search of 10s or the next big thing nor do I randomly pick up anime without knowing what they are about. Whatever I pickup has a story which made me want to know how it plays out and that is where I can most of my entertainment from. Completing a story is satisfying. Dropping a story only means you'll never get the full picture and never are able to create an informed opinion about it.

The thing is, many of us haven't looked that deeply into an anime before we decide to watch it. It might have an interesting art style or a cool name, or what you can manage to decipher from the poorly-translated synopsis looks interesting. If it turns out to be something other than what you thought it'd be, and you're not pleased with it, no point in continuing. Yeah, there's a possibility you might like it more later. There's a greater possibility that if it sucks on ep1, it'll still suck on the finale. And then you've wasted hours of your life you won't have back, that you could've spent doing something fulfilling.
Nov 7, 2011 11:28 PM

Sep 2010
The thing is, many of us haven't looked that deeply into an anime before we decide to watch it.

I never said many people did. Some do, some don't. It has nothing to do with being wise or not. Although I do find it funny that someone how decides to watch an anime because of a cool sounding name has anything to say about what is wise or not.

Yeah, there's a possibility you might like it more later. There's a greater possibility that if it sucks on ep1, it'll still suck on the finale.

I didn't know this topic was about dropping anime on episode one. I thought we were talking about anime that people drop around the half way mark, like what the OP was saying. If this is about dropping on episode one then I would say that type of person would need to pick what they watch better or learn enough patience to make it past the introductory phase.

Nov 7, 2011 11:45 PM

May 2010
if it's boring as hell, i throw it in on-hold till i come across the most shitties days ever, then i shall watch it. I'll watch if I decide to commit suicide.
Nov 8, 2011 12:10 AM

Apr 2011
Kazeshini said:
if it's boring as hell, i throw it in on-hold till i come across the most shitties days ever, then i shall watch it. I'll watch if I decide to commit suicide.

Am I the only one with the inclination to see bad movies or anime for the lulz or for the irony? I wouldn't say it was wise to finish one just for the sake of it, but wisdom may yea verily come to thee in the end. In other words, watch it effed up.

For example, If I hadn't of seen Togainu no Chi (bad editing, homothugs and all) I wouldn't have heard such kickass music.
Nov 8, 2011 12:21 AM

Sep 2011
hell yeah you should. i suggest you watch Doraemon and Manga Nippon Mukashibanash. It gets seriously good around the middle, and the climax is fkn epic. Just keep at it.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Nov 8, 2011 12:22 AM

Aug 2008
Some anime suck so bad... they don't even belong on the Dropped List.

XD

Anime_Name said:
I didn't know this topic was about dropping anime on episode one. I thought we were talking about anime that people drop around the half way mark, like what the OP was saying. If this is about dropping on episode one then I would say that type of person would need to pick what they watch better or learn enough patience to make it past the introductory phase.

Sometimes, it takes just 5 minutes... or even less (like a commercial) to know that a series sucks. Hell, that's 5 minutes wasted right there.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 8, 2011 12:28 AM

Sep 2010
Sometimes, it takes just 5 minutes... or even less (like a commercial) to know that a series sucks. Hell, that's 5 minutes wasted right there.

Riiight. Looks like bullshit to me.

Nov 8, 2011 12:33 AM

Nov 2008
Anime_Name said:
Ezekiel said:
Anime_Name said:
Ezekiel said:

Completing a story isn't satisfying if it bored you senseless/was thoroughly vapid or sucked and you know you could have spent your precious time on something more fulfilling. Unless you have that "Gotta catch em all" mentality.

Nov 8, 2011 12:34 AM

Aug 2008
Anime_Name said:

Riiight. Looks like bullshit to me.

What? I have some series in my drop list because I found them to be particularly annoying.

For example, Chrono Crusade. I watched episode 1-4, then 26. Based on that, I deemed it as crap. Totally bored the crap out of me; and the ending seemed pointless.

Judging from your comments on this thread in particular, you're starting to appear as the stereo-typical weaboo, who likes everything from Japan. To some degree, I actually regret leaving this thread alone, allowing you to infect many of the others who post here.

Some anime belong in the drop list, based on personal preference. Likewise, some belong on the drop list as a collective -- implying many people did not enjoy them. What's wrong with that? Saves people time for... oh... something more worthwhile.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Nov 8, 2011 1:28 AM

Mar 2009
I generally give something 4 to 6 eps, more if it is a long one, but once in a while one or two is enough. You don't get points for suffering through something you don' enjoy. I slogged through Clannad trying to figure what all the fuss was about, wondering what was wrong with me for not getting it. Well, there wasn't anything wrong with me and there wasn't anything for me to get. The show wasn't for me. Am I saying it was a bad show? No. It is just of a sort that doesn't generally appeal to me. Next time I'll trust me and not popular opinion. (Popular doesn't make it bad but neither does automatically mean it is something I will like.)

Remember,no one shoots a catgirl when you drop a show and there are no points for struggling through something that doesn't do it for you. It's not a competition. It is about enjoying something that moves you.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Nov 8, 2011 2:50 AM

Apr 2009
Nope. My time is too precious to waste on anime I know I wouldn't enjoy.
Nov 8, 2011 3:36 AM

May 2009
Ahhh...But I ENJOY completing what I've started. It overrides whatever qualms anyone else have about any series. The sense of satisfaction is quite different (and it's not for the epeen which is BS to me). It is in me to see that I pick up my clothes, make my bed, finish books (and return them to the library), organize my music collection, to sow seeds and take care of the plants, or fulfilling promises, etc. One day I'll croak so while I can, I try my best to be done with things so that I have little or no regrets about my life. I can understand why others may not be like me but completing what I've started is a huge part of my personality.
Nov 8, 2011 4:27 AM
Feb 2011
Probably not. But I'm too stubborn to ever drop anything. It's the only reason I'd finish something like Hidan no Aria or Shakugan no Shana.
HimeldaNov 8, 2011 9:42 AM
­
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

9 by DancingTheBa »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 6 hours ago

42 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
3 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

20 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

80 by -coasts »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 11 hours ago

29 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.