Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wise to watch anime you DON'T LIKE, just for the sake of completion???

New
Sep 30, 2011 5:59 AM

Jun 2008
So, I've heard this line many times in anime discussions before:

"The only reason I'm still watching this shit is to complete it"

Now, I won't be a hypocrite, I've watched anime I don't like to complete it as well, such as Kuroshitsuji II, HARUHI 2009, and Vampire Knight.

However in those circumstances it's usually that I begin to dislike it around the middle of the series, but since it's only 12 or 13 episode seasons, I decide to suffer it out and watch the remaining 5 or 6 episodes left.

One thing I don't understand is why people still watch LONG shounen anime such as Bleach, Naruto, OP, Fairy Tail, etc.......but say they keep watching for the sake of completion.

These anime are NO WHERE NEAR COMPLETION, each of them probably still have HUNDREDS....yes, I said HUNDREDS of episodes left...

So, is it wise to watch anime just for the sake of completion???
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2011 6:04 AM

Mar 2009
It's not worth doing that unless you're M and you enjoy torturing yourself.. though I can understand the sense of completion when you're done with an anime. But it's really not worth wasting your time on something you dislike.
Sep 30, 2011 6:07 AM
Sep 2011
In my opinion, absolutely not. Doing so tends to sour my memories of series that I otherwise would probably remember fondly, and I probably won't even revisit the portion of the series that I enjoyed. I watched Bleach well past the end of the SS arc, and I completely regret the experience.

I WILL watch shorter series with subject matter I'm predisposed to disliking so that I can avoid complaining about shows I don't like, but that's a different topic entirely.
Sep 30, 2011 6:08 AM

Apr 2008
Short anime? consider it, long one? don't bother.

If you don't like it why force yourself.

Sep 30, 2011 6:10 AM

Jan 2009
I personally would say it's somewhat unhealthy and self destructive to make yourself do anything you don't like to do. unless you're just a masochist, in which case i suppose it makes sense.

but if it's a short series like you're saying i suppose finishing it for completion wouldn't hurt, as who knows? you might even find something you like about it again, and the ending may even make the parts you didn't like worthwhile.

as for ppl that watch shounens they hate with completion being their sole reasoning? that's just stupid and redundant, you're only torturing yourself for no reason. chances are if you didn't like the first 100 episodes, you probably aren't going to like the next 500+ either. stop wasting your time doing something you hate and find something else to watch that you'll enjoy, as it will make you far happier than being miserable for no real reason.

If you could get good information so easily, ninjas wouldn't have a job, dood...
Sep 30, 2011 6:14 AM

Jan 2011
No.

Case in point: very mainstream Shounen, such as Bleach and Naruto. Are you really going to watch 200+ eps of something you don't like? If you are, then watch, and then bash it, I would only ask: why watch?

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Sep 30, 2011 6:16 AM
Feb 2010
It depends on how bad it is and wht you want to accomplish watching anime.
Sep 30, 2011 6:23 AM
Aug 2011
Completing an anime doesn't make you wise, especially if you don't like it.

>_>
Sep 30, 2011 6:27 AM

Mar 2011
f it's not a long running shounen, you may as well, since it won't be too much time, and it could always get better.
Sep 30, 2011 6:34 AM

Jun 2008
My Policy:

• 11 - 13 ep anime: If I HATE it after 4 or 5 episodes it's DROPPED....however this happens very rarely...

• 24-26 ep anime: I'll usually give it 10 episodes, after which I make the decision to keep going or not.

• 27+ ep anime: Obviously there are very few of these, but I do the same strategy.....BTW, long running shounen I have DROPPED include OP, Reborn, and D. Gray-Man
  • Sep 30, 2011 6:34 AM

Jan 2011
    If you have few episodes left, why not, you can complete it. But in examples which you mentioned, when it's still very long way to go you should drop it and look for something more interesting for you, there's no point in watching at a push.
    Sep 30, 2011 6:38 AM
    Mar 2011
    no i never drop any thing
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
    There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
    Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
    For the Union makes us strong
    Sep 30, 2011 6:39 AM

Aug 2011
    alexcampos said:
    My Policy:
  • 24-26 ep anime: I'll usually give it 10 episodes, after which I make the decision to keep going or not.

• 27+ ep anime: Obviously there are very few of these, but I do the same strategy.....BTW, long running shounen I have DROPPED include OP, Reborn, and D. Gray-Man

• The same strategy as in giving 10 episodes?

If your list is correct, then you dropped OP at episode 1...
    Which doesn't follow your rules.

Anyway, shounen always takes time to get good. Like One Piece got really good at episode 64, I heard Gintama starts at episode 30, etc.
    Sep 30, 2011 6:40 AM

Dec 2009
    Well, i do that. At least in the end i'll be able to complain and have a reason for it, or else people would just say: "You haven't completed it yet, so you can't say it's bad and blablabla". But i really don't care about people's opinion about that, i do care for mine.
    But well, i do that with 12-26 episode's animes. As for Naruto, i was only watching to complete it too, but right now i'm thinking about dropping. I don't like it anymore, so... yeah. I don't think forcing myself to watch worths anymore.
    But it's easier to do that with airing animes. Only one episode per week is not that bad, however, i haven't catched up with Naruto's episodes yet - that's the biggest reason for me to drop it.
    Sep 30, 2011 6:44 AM

Jun 2008
    Tiago97 said:
    The same strategy as in giving 10 episodes?

Which doesn't follow your rules.

Anyway, shounen always takes time to get good. Like One Piece got really good at episode 64, I heard Gintama starts at episode 30, etc.

No, for long running shounen I'll give it until I just can't stand it any more.....that could be 10 episodes or 100 episodes...the reason is because they have so many...for example OP has over 500 episodes...

As for OP, I dropped it because I could never get into it, I don't remember how many episodes I watched....(maybe like 40), but I hated the art, and everything just annoyed me horribly.
    Sep 30, 2011 6:49 AM
    Mar 2011
    Tiago97 said:
    alexcampos said:
    My Policy:

• The same strategy as in giving 10 episodes?

good shonen like seiya shoulkd not take 90 odd episodes to get going
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 30, 2011 6:52 AM

Dec 2010
    For the sake of completion has always seemed to be a piss poor excuse to put yourself through teeth grinding agony. If you absolutely hate the show then be sensible and drop it. Things click, and some things just need beaten with a rock. Hard. Though that is dependant on the viewer and what they like and what they hate.
    Sep 30, 2011 6:54 AM

Jul 2011
    First i wish to find anime that i would try to drop off :D
    Watched many boring shows like Hellgirl.

But i still think that i don't drop off animes even they are boring.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai

Aug 2011
    Akai-Ryuusei said:

Seiya had "pre-90 anime syndrom", that's when anime are rageworthy slow.

Ashita no Joe was a rare exception.

Aug 2008
    alexcampos said:

One thing I don't understand is why people still watch LONG shounen anime such as Bleach, Naruto, OP, Fairy Tail, etc.......but say they keep watching for the sake of completion.

Okay, tell me who says it? I really want to know.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
    Sep 30, 2011 6:56 AM

Feb 2011
    Liinah said:
    Well, i do that. At least in the end i'll be able to complain and have a reason for it, or else people would just say: "You haven't completed it yet, so you can't say it's bad and blablabla".

That's exactly why I completed Elfen Lied even though I hated it from the very beginning. I wanted to see what the whole craze is about. I still don't understand it. But if I dropped it, I would feel that I don't have the right to criticise it - people could always say: "how can you say that if you didn't see the whole thing?".

But it's one thing to go through around 12 episodes of pure tortures and it's completely another to watch until the very end a longer anime. I didn't like GTO which has over 40 episodes and eventually I dropped it. I really tried to watch it all but it kept throwing me off.

The monster anime (100 episodes +) are another matter entirely. Yeah, you have to be patient at the beginning because first 10 episodes or so are rarely good. But I don't understand people who bitch about Naruto/One Piece/Bleach/whatever and keep watching it. I got tired of Naruto Shippuden and I dropped it. Manga is much better. Simple as that.
    Sep 30, 2011 7:02 AM

May 2010
    I try to complete the shows I watch, but in some cases I had to cut my losses, especially if I wasn't enjoying it. This recently was the case with the 4th season of Sailor Moon, SuperS. I didn't like it after going through the series halfway and I felt it wasn't going to get any better, so I dropped it.

So if you don't enjoy what you're watching, then don't watch it anymore, and move on to something better.
    Sep 30, 2011 7:02 AM

Jul 2010
    no, because it's a total waste of time. i watch anime for self enjoyment not to put myself through pain. -_-

Sep 30, 2011 7:06 AM

May 2009
    It's kind of a waste of time so I dislike doing it. But I do like to finish all of my animes. It's so awkward to leave right in the middle of it so I usually end up finishing. Sometimes there's hope that it might get better. And sometimes it does, but my taste is pretty spot on so I know if something is going to suck or not.
    <!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
    Being sane is over rated :)
    Sep 30, 2011 7:19 AM

Aug 2008
    When I talk about not liking a series it is always in a relative sense. Some series are definitely bad in comparison to others, but I don't believe any anime that has come out in the past 3 years has been bad enough to drop. That is, aside from Happy Kappy.
    Sep 30, 2011 7:24 AM
    Feb 2011
    If I find an anime that I don't particularly like or don't feel like watching, I hide it in my external. Maybe in a couple months it'll get dug up and finally watched. I haven't dropped many series and if I had, it was because they were becoming incredibly long (like Bleach, Naruto, etc.). It all depends on personal taste, if you feel an anime would be a complete bore to you, it would be wise to focus on something more enjoyable. However, if it just doesn't fit the mood, it would be worth it saving it for later.
    Sep 30, 2011 8:00 AM

Apr 2011
    Plun said:
    alexcampos said:

Okay, tell me who says it? I really want to know.

beacuse its has different story in each arc its not same story continuation !!its almost like seasons.So people get exited.if they want to finish the can't finish because anime may run even after they die!!!!

well sure i complete a anime ones i started and there are times when only first few epidoes were bad and rest or ending were awesome! i felt good that i did not drop.

-once you start you should end
    TrOjAnHoRsESep 30, 2011 8:06 AM
    Sep 30, 2011 8:41 AM
    Mar 2011
    Tiago97 said:
    Akai-Ryuusei said:

seiya was not slow if you compere it Bleach one piece or naruto or even the Ippo anime there rage worlrly overly fast paced gping 3 to 4 Chapters per epiosde

and its Kurumada wrting style thats slower then todays its no the anime its the Manga ka that wrote the source thars good at that slow buring shounen story

Sep 30, 2011 8:42 AM

Aug 2009
    I do that all the time.. XDD

I feel guilt not finishing a show or dropping it.

Even if the show sucks, I'll still watch it till the end..

BUT I DO HAVE EXCEPTIONS...

IF THE SHOW IS THAT BAD, THEN I'LL DROP IT...
    Sep 30, 2011 8:45 AM

Oct 2010
    not unless you care about how it's gonna end.
    Sep 30, 2011 8:48 AM

Sep 2010
    as long as i dont feel im wasting my time and i could be doing someting more usefull.

i found A-Channel pretty bad, but i finished it cause watching SoL animes is just relaxing.
    couldnt finish TTGL, that shit is bad.
    P&S was insta-drop.
    Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
    Sep 30, 2011 8:58 AM

Nov 2009
    Liinah said:
    Well, i do that. At least in the end i'll be able to complain and have a reason for it, or else people would just say: "You haven't completed it yet, so you can't say it's bad and blablabla". But i really don't care about people's opinion about that, i do care for mine.

True. If you haven't watched it until the end, who would recognize your opinion when judging an unfinished anime?
    But there are exceptions that it was so bad which I couldn't stand it and drop halfway though, they were Lamune, Shuffle, kind of stuff like that. But there are those I managed to finish like elfen lied, well lots of pp talk good about it, that's why I just keep torturing myself to find what its good ... but in the end there is one only thing I can do: complaining.
    Sep 30, 2011 9:03 AM

Aug 2009
    If you do not like it then you should drop it.Although I have seen a few anime where the first couple of episodes seemed to be boring as hell and then it picked up.
    Sep 30, 2011 9:06 AM

Aug 2011
    Akai-Ryuusei said:
    Tiago97 said:
    Akai-Ryuusei said:

seiya was not slow if you compere it Bleach one piece or naruto or even the Ippo anime there rage worlrly overly fast paced gping 3 to 4 Chapters per epiosde

In fact One Piece has a chapter per episode...

And Bleach has no content each chapter, so of course it's gonna have 3/4 chapters per episode.
    Sep 30, 2011 9:17 AM

Jan 2011
    I have dropped anime 2 episodes away from the end, so no.
    Sep 30, 2011 9:19 AM

Jun 2011
    Is the amount of anime you complete a sign of status or something?

Well I'm really not trying to impress anyone with my list. If I lose interest or consider a show a complete fail, I will drop it.
    Sep 30, 2011 9:21 AM

Jun 2009
    I research the anime I want to watch a little bit closer so I don't have to drop as many.

Although, if I get bored or cannot get into the characters I drop them~

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
    Sep 30, 2011 9:39 AM

Jul 2009
    I'll only pick up something if think seems interesting based on the synthosis, but it happens to us all; something we want to like manages to dissapoint - in cases like these...
    - I'll drop it if it's clear the current storyline is the one we're stuck with, though I may stick it out if it's a fairly short series (12 ep's)
    - I'll skim threw until the content improves (if it's a manga adaptation, it's easier to know where to go back)
    - If I'm not quite sure wether or not it will improve, i'll dorp and look into spoilers in order to see if it's worth picking up again, if it isn't worth it, I'll erase it all together

I must say however, the above only applies to the mediocre, I don't reccomend wasting your life on absolute rubbish.
    This site is handy, MAL actually states how many hours you spent watching certian series's; when I see 400 minutes (for example) on something I rated around a 6, I REALLY feel I have wasted time; their aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things you plan to do and the; weeks, months and years fly by too fast - basically, I'm getting old and a lot more strict (I drop/delete stuff regular now).

Sep 30, 2011 10:30 AM

Mar 2009
    alexcampos said:
    So, is it wise to watch anime just for the sake of completion???

No. Why waste time on something you don't like. I will sometimes suffer through an airing first season like Blood-C sometimes out of curiosity. Is it going to redeem itself or "just how bad is this train wreck going to get." But generally speaking, no. You'll find a number of drops on my list. When you see a drop after 1 or 2 eps it is because it is clear to me that it is a genre or style that I don't enjoy. Most of the time I give a show at least 6 to 10 eps prior to dropping.
    -animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
    -epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
    Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
    http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
    Sep 30, 2011 10:38 AM

May 2008
    If i don't like what i am watching, i still usually watch it, but when i have to force myself to watch it then i drop it.
    Sep 30, 2011 10:42 AM

Sep 2011
    Queen_Stars said:
    I'll only pick up something if think seems interesting based on the synthosis, but it happens to us all; something we want to like manages to dissapoint - in cases like these...
    - I'll drop it if it's clear the current storyline is the one we're stuck with, though I may stick it out if it's a fairly short series (12 ep's)
    - I'll skim threw until the content improves (if it's a manga adaptation, it's easier to know where to go back)
    - If I'm not quite sure wether or not it will improve, i'll dorp and look into spoilers in order to see if it's worth picking up again, if it isn't worth it, I'll erase it all together

I must say however, the above only applies to the mediocre, I don't reccomend wasting your life on absolute rubbish.

I'm about the same. I dropped One Piece after the 10th episode because I thought it was boring (and it is for the first 70 episodes) but when everyone gushed about a certain arc in the story and I stared watching from that point I back tracked and watched it straight through.

And I'll admit, sometimes I do complete animes that I hate but I usually do it to write fanfiction from the characters. Like I hate Vampire Knight but I love all the characters except Yuki and I wait for spoilers on which episodes have Hitsugaya in them cuz I write a lot of stories with his character (and I refuse to touch the manga).
    Sep 30, 2011 10:44 AM
    Jul 2011
    I think so even if its a long running shounen because certain arcs in a series are way better and some just suck.
    I dropped One Piece for a while during the Skypiea arc because it just sucked to me and decided to pick it back up about a year or 2 later and suffer through the arc to see if it would get better and it did once the Water 7 arc started and I am very glad I did that.
    It can be worth it but its probably not always going to work.
    Sep 30, 2011 10:45 AM

Jan 2010
    For me it's more like I watch stuff I hate only to make an opinion of them, just so I can say "yeah, I've seen it and it sucks." It's gotta be pretty bad for me to drop it midway.

For the super long ones like the long-running shounens, I'd usually skip the anime and read the manga to save time. I'd probably just look up certain scenes or fights to see them animated for fun.
    Sep 30, 2011 10:49 AM

Jul 2011
    No, it's not wise..
    I rarely drop series, they have to be very bad for me to do so. But if you only have a few episodes to go, like three or two, it may be a bit unnecessary to drop the series. If you suceeded to stand it more than midway, then you probably will the last episodes too. At some occasions the end usually spins the whole anime around and give you a different opinion about it.

Oh well, unless the anime sucks right from the start and is quite long, it's not worth it. You can spend all that time at something more fun instead
    Sep 30, 2011 11:06 AM
    Jul 2018
    I tend to get my hands on all of the episodes of a series before I ever start watching. I don't go after stuff I'm not interested in, but I may grab it if it sounds mildly interesting at least, or highly recommended by someone (or at least ranked as one of their favorites).

That said, I usually finish stuff even if I don't like it, and there are multiple reasons. Because I already have it. Because when I go to criticize it I can back up my opinions. And because there is always the chance it turns out better in the end than it currently is. I HAVE dropped stuff, but I try not to. I'm something of a completionist, both in this and in video games. Even if I don't enjoy it per se, I get a certain amount of satisfaction in the end.
    Sep 30, 2011 11:31 AM

Jun 2009
    If that's what you want to do, then that's what you should do.

It's unwise to pretend that there's some sort of "good" way to piss away your time. If finishing what you started makes you happy, then go for it. Ignore the naysayers, they're just annoyed that not everyone's a fanboy.
    Sep 30, 2011 11:33 AM
    Sep 2011
    I usually go with seven episodes. Usually by then we've met the characters and the plot picked up. If the show's absolutely so boring or annoying that I can't continue, then I'll drop it.

If you really don't like it, you don't have to watch it. I know some people can be really annoying about demanding that you watch THE GREATEST ANIME EVER! YOU MUST CONTINUE CAUSE IT'S SO AMAZING- but if you really don't like it, don't torture yourself with it.
    Sep 30, 2011 11:40 AM
    Dec 2010
    imo watching just to complete an anime is pure bs... well ofc if you have enough time for it, and you like to torture yourself, just do it.
    heck, I have 129 dropped animes, and that number will increase.
    Sep 30, 2011 11:56 AM

Feb 2011
    I watched the whole of LoGH and bits of K-ON to see what all the fuss was about and I've never been so bored before with both series. LoGH should of been called LEGEND OF PRETENTIOUS HEROS and K-ON is what everyone says it is moeblob otaku pandering crap. Probably the last time I ever force myself to watch anime which have fanbases which are so far up their own asses. Before I used watch 1-3 eps of an anime to get the feel of it even if it's bad but I stopped that practise because my tastes have become refined.
    Sep 30, 2011 12:07 PM

Aug 2011
    I am the type of person that wont drop a show because I always expect it to get better. While sometimes they don't get better the majority do so I always will finish a show.
    Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
    3 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

19 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
    4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
    5 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
    9 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

99 by watsym »»
    12 minutes ago
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.