Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 26, 2011 3:26 PM

Jul 2011
What's your opinion?
I like MMA better and think boxing is dying.

Changed my sig without knowing bbcode was down. Wahhh D:
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 26, 2011 3:29 PM

Jan 2008
I prefer boxing as a sport, it has more drama, and the fights are more intricate. But MMo is good too. I like watching the best knockouts reel.

So brutal, I mean punching a man on the ground repeatably is just pretty rubbish behavior to be honest.
Sep 26, 2011 3:38 PM

Mar 2011
The only thing I hate in MMA is that basically most fighters can't respect their opponents when they've been knocked out and continue beating the shit out of them.
I know some of them are smart and fake but usually it's hella noticeable when you knock your opponent out considering these guys ARE professional
Courtesy of Paul
Sep 26, 2011 4:22 PM

Jul 2008
I prefer MMA because it's about the closest thing you will see to true vale tudo(the manliest of sports). As alpha said, there is a lot of drama in boxing, to me it almost comparable to watching the WWF.
Sep 26, 2011 4:27 PM

Jan 2011
MMA looks more brutal and does look kinda gay at times but i still think its better.
Sep 26, 2011 4:35 PM

Aug 2009
Sozora said:
The only thing I hate in MMA is that basically most fighters can't respect their opponents when they've been knocked out and continue beating the shit out of them.
I know some of them are smart and fake but usually it's hella noticeable when you knock your opponent out considering these guys ARE professional

thats because the ref haven't signal that its over. MMA btw
Sep 26, 2011 4:38 PM

May 2011
Boxing.

Real men fight on their feet, not the ground.

I agree that it is a joke now compared to the past though. All about money, no more passion for the sport.
Sep 26, 2011 4:40 PM

Aug 2010
Boxing all the way!
Sep 26, 2011 5:03 PM

Oct 2010
-Shuda- said:
Boxing.

Real men fight on their feet, not the ground.

I agree that it is a joke now compared to the past though. All about money, no more passion for the sport.

I like this answer, to me boxing looks like it has more tradition...
Sep 26, 2011 5:27 PM

May 2008
Boxing of course, I do like the whole thing of the fighters having more than one style but to me MMA looks a lot more "wild", like the two fighters are just trying to knock each other heads off. Where as in boxing its more about skill, patience and you know following a game plan etc...
Sep 26, 2011 5:33 PM

Feb 2011
Well MMA is one of the closest things to a real life fight. This makes it more realistic.
Seriously, who only fights with their fists?

But boxing is more dramatic I guess. I still respect boxing but MMA really gets your adrenaline pumping. It's raw and ruthless.
Sep 26, 2011 6:09 PM

Aug 2008
kwangsta said:
Well MMA is one of the closest things to a real life fight. This makes it more realistic.

But boxing is more dramatic I guess. I still respect boxing but MMA really gets your adrenaline pumping. It's raw and ruthless.

People sure love watching others street fight at school or outside.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Sep 26, 2011 6:18 PM

Dec 2010
kwangsta said:

This. MMA owns because it is vicious and ruthless. I find those two traits incredibly attractive. Because in all honesty, what sort of pussy refuses to be a combat pragmatist?
Sep 26, 2011 6:30 PM

Jun 2008
Boxing.....IS....DEAD!

Meanwhile, although I think MMA is pretty extreme, this is on the rise and has a big fan base and is much more entertaining.
Sep 26, 2011 6:49 PM

Apr 2008
No option for K-1? (kickboxing)

I know its old but still awesome! both guys are in MMA now, Sefo in Strikeforce and Hunt just fought on the weekend in UFC.

I follow MMA/K-1, couldn't care less about Boxing anymore.
Sep 26, 2011 7:03 PM

Jul 2010
boxing, mma looks like two dudes making out.

Sep 26, 2011 7:03 PM
Apr 2011
MMA is wayyyyy more fun than boxing. You have a ton of more options from landing a knockout to making your oppent tap out via jujitsu submissions. Besides, who the hell watches boxing anymore lol.
Sep 26, 2011 8:04 PM

Apr 2008
MMA all the way.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Sep 26, 2011 8:11 PM

Jan 2011
People watch boxing just as much as MMA. The only difference is that MMA is more available to the public than boxing, and more of a freestyle way of fighting. Because of this, MMA catered to most of everyone who lost interest in entertainment wrestling who wanted to see more real punches and kicks and holds than a lot of drama.

I prefer boxing over MMA simply because of the class it holds, and will always be more exciting than MMA to me. Besides, if you're looking for the more dangerous sport, boxing is by a mile. Being choked out or submitted is one thing, but being bludgened constantly can shorten your mobile skills and/or life. Those gloves may be padded, but the pressure of getting hit by one is still the same. With boxing, if a fighter gets knocked down they only give under 10 seconds for the guy to recooperate then get thrown back in there to see if he can come back. With MMA, a fighter gets knocked down and that's it? At least it doesn't have cheesy WWE storylines.

Oh yeah, James Toney earned twice as much as Couture when they fought in that MMA fight. Couture said he wouldn't step in the ring with Toney because he said he admitted that Toney would beat the shit out of him in a boxing match.

I still stick to the fact that even though there are technical holds and submissions, anybody can be labled a "striker" type that goes in and just swings for the fences. I dig kickboxing, but when it comes to going to the mat I may as well be fixing myself a sandwich to wait for the next round. Over half the time I'm not missing much.

Same could be said about boxing, since styles will make fights. Two counter punchers can make for a horrible fight, but any fight fan, whoever and what age, can appreciate the Morales/Barrera trilogy or even Tyson in his prime.

And shit like this:

RamenSoup43Sep 26, 2011 8:29 PM
Sep 26, 2011 8:14 PM

Feb 2009
MMA for me. Crazy mix of knockouts and submissions within various techniques of the various arts. I miss the PRIDE Bushido and WEC events though, the scrappy lighter weight fights are always the most entertaining for me. Cruz vs Johnson this saturday on Versus!

Though I still love a hyped up boxing match. HBO gets me hook line and sinker with their 24/7 show......if they were smart they would do it more often with younger fighters on the rise and not just the big dogs.... build some stars that way.
Sep 26, 2011 8:36 PM

Jan 2011
baboon said:
MMA for me. Crazy mix of knockouts and submissions within various techniques of the various arts. I miss the PRIDE Bushido and WEC events though, the scrappy lighter weight fights are always the most entertaining for me. Cruz vs Johnson this saturday on Versus!

Though I still love a hyped up boxing match. HBO gets me hook line and sinker with their 24/7 show......if they were smart they would do it more often with younger fighters on the rise and not just the big dogs.... build some stars that way.

This is true... But the only way to make a name for yourself in boxing is to be tested with one of the big dogs. Ortiz/Berto is one example. Even though he was a name thrown in the mix, Berto wasn't tested against a seasoned fighter, and didn't make it past Ortiz, while Ortiz's win boosted him back into stardom (for a brief moment...)
Sep 26, 2011 10:31 PM

Feb 2011
Plun said:
kwangsta said:

People sure love watching others street fight at school or outside.

Oh definitely, you know? We always have fights at lunchtimes. Our school had a fight once! Also, considering, we have gangs like the YSK (Skuxx Fucks) and such, fights go on around us all the time.

Oh yes, we really do enjoy fights that I don't even know of, let alone care about.
But on a serious note, I just find MMA and comps similar to it (UFC and so on) more pure.
And can boxing let you do this?
mococomonoSep 26, 2011 10:34 PM
Sep 26, 2011 10:47 PM

Sep 2011
I'm a boxing fan, but with the current state of boxing, my pick would go to MMA.

There just isn't enough talent in boxing, mega fights aren't happen, and they have greedy bastards that run the sport.
LastExile_613.png
Sep 26, 2011 11:14 PM
Jun 2010
MMA fighters have no respect, with all the punching a knocked out opponent on the ground while blood is everywhere. Boxing seems like more of a civilized sport and traditional.

Although I do find MMA fun to watch as it feels more like a real fight , I have alot more respect for boxers.
Sep 27, 2011 12:31 AM

Jun 2009
Sozora said:

"Professional" is an oxymoron, really.

MMA is some brutal stuff. That's what makes it fun to watch. It allows for some pretty great stuff, too, since pretty much any move you can pull off is legal. Boxing has its own merits, as well, but really, more than either, fencing is my kind of fighting sport. That goes for all sword-sports, to include kendo. A gentleman's martial art.
Sep 27, 2011 12:37 AM
Dec 2009
I don't like ether but if I had to choose I would choose MMA.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Sep 27, 2011 12:38 AM

Jan 2008
All I hear these days is MMA this and MMA that and oh look you've got MMA dripping from your mouth.

Basically I hear about this 'sport' a lot, it's in pop culture now, but I don't know a lot about it. Can you guys recommend a noob like me something to watch so I can at least get the jist of what you're all fascinated with? Is there a current season of a popular MMA show airing right now?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 27, 2011 12:49 AM

Jul 2008
MMA is actually pretty mild compared to true vale tudo. In MMA, they outlaw many of the most effective techniques in true hand to hand combat such as soccer kicks, 12-6 elbows(some outlaw elbows completely), knees to the head of a downed opponent, etc.
Sep 27, 2011 11:57 AM

May 2011
Like the majority here, I enjoy the drama and tension in boxing, but MMA is more fun to watch. It's more exciting, in my opinion. I don't watch too much of either, though.
Sep 27, 2011 12:38 PM

Dec 2008
I never gave a damn about Boxing and never will. MMA is alright but I don't watch much, I only got into UFC because of Brock Lesnar and quickly got bored of it, I don't even know what he's doing there anymore. UFC can be really boring a lot of times, especially when it's two nobodies that I have never heard before facing off.
Sep 27, 2011 1:42 PM

Jan 2008
Beatnik said:

Can you guys recommend a noob like me something to watch so I can at least get the jist of what you're all fascinated with?

The reason why people seem to enjoy it so much it the fact people actually get knocked out.

I don't think I've seen a genuine knock out in boxing for some time. Plus it's mixed martial arts, and basically guys who are huge but could never box, being able to use their power to win fights.

Oh and 1:23 matches LOL

Cowabunga said:
UFC can be really boring a lot of times, especially when it's two nobodies that I have never heard before facing off.

which is why people are switching to MMA for faster fights and more action.

Plus these types of fights are usually a yawn fest anyway. Unless you have serious blood lust they are not interesting. which is why Youtube highlights is the best.
Sep 27, 2011 1:56 PM

Dec 2008
Alpha-kudasu said:

Cowabunga said:
UFC can be really boring a lot of times, especially when it's two nobodies that I have never heard before facing off.

Plus these types of fights are usually a yawn fest anyway. Unless you have serious blood lust they are not interesting. which is why Youtube highlights is the best.

It's just hard to care when you don't know 80% of the fighters on the match card, you know. I've enjoyed all the Lesnar fights I've seen, a couple of GSP and Thiago Alves ones, and that Ortiz vs. Shamrock one almost 2 years ago. But other than that, I haven't enjoyed much.

The pre match promos bore me to tears, instead of getting hyped, I just end up losing all interest in the fight. No wonder people call Dana White the best Pro Wrestling promoter in the world, UFC emulates what the WWE did in the late 90s but forgot to give most of their fighters interesting personalities.

I've heard MMA fans say that UFC is boring and that there are more exciting organizations out there, it seems that UFC is buying out every organization, though.
Sep 27, 2011 2:02 PM

Aug 2011
A poll would be good.

"Poll? lulwhutstat"
Sep 27, 2011 2:08 PM

Jan 2008
Cowabunga said:
Alpha-kudasu said:

Cowabunga said:

It's just hard to care when you don't know 80% of the fighters on the match card, you know. I've enjoyed all the Lesnar fights I've seen, a couple of GSP and Thiago Alves ones, and that Ortiz vs. Shamrock one almost 2 years ago. But other than that, I haven't enjoyed much.

The pre match promos bore me to tears, instead of getting hyped, I just end up losing all interest in the fight. No wonder people call Dana White the best Pro Wrestling promoter in the world, UFC emulates what the WWE did in the late 90s but forgot to give most of their fighters interesting personalities.

I've heard MMA fans say that UFC is boring and that there are more exciting organizations out there, it seems that UFC is buying out every organization, though.

Yeah, but the whole personality thing is why people hate wrestling, and is what separates the wrestling entertainment from the real stuff.

But it's all different, I guess if you're not a fighter then I doubt you really care. I certainly don't. Watching two nobody know each other out is dull.
Sep 27, 2011 2:09 PM
Mar 2011
if i was to watch boxing it would have to bee tapes of fights from 59 to 86
MMA full stop after that
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 27, 2011 2:28 PM

Jul 2008
Alpha-kudasu said:
I don't think I've seen a genuine knock out in boxing for some time.

This is about all you need to see when you hear boxers says that MMA fighters have no power. I don't think boxing has seen a knockout that hard since Mike Tyson's hayday. Not all MMA fighters specialize in boxing, that is why you hear the boxers bitch about their power. Most MMA fighters specialize in wrestling or BJJ, so their boxing skills are weaker, it doesn't mean that they don't have the potential to become great boxers. Take one good look at Anderson Silva and tell me he has no potential in boxing, he drops his hands just to bait people into counters.
Sep 27, 2011 2:53 PM

Feb 2011
I couldnt care less about Boxing. It's a sport for the oldies to enjoy. Wouldnt suprise me since Dana White has taken UFC mainstream with the contract for Fox to kill the amount of people watching boxing.

Dont get me wrong not saying boxers cant fight well I'm saying they cant fight as good as MMA because they limit themselves to their hands. Boxing only teaches you to use your hands and move your feet. MMA teaches you the complete deal.

You know what I mean boxer vs mma figher = mma figher wins.

Say all you want but there's been several boxers coming into MMA saying boxing is the "true" sport regarding fighting. But they get knocked out within the first round.

Most kids look up to MMA than boxing these days. I cant see this trend dying.
Sep 27, 2011 3:01 PM

Jan 2008
Alpha-kudasu said:
Beatnik said:

Can you guys recommend a noob like me something to watch so I can at least get the jist of what you're all fascinated with?

I asked for MMA and you gave me a clip of one man raping another. :|
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 27, 2011 3:51 PM

Jan 2008
Beatnik said:
Alpha-kudasu said:
Beatnik said:

I asked for MMA and you gave me a clip of one man raping another. :|

Welcome to the wonderful world of MMA, where one mans love for another is celebrated.
Sep 27, 2011 5:30 PM

May 2008
Polarity said:
I couldnt care less about Boxing. It's a sport for the oldies to enjoy. Wouldnt suprise me since Dana White has taken UFC mainstream with the contract for Fox to kill the amount of people watching boxing.

Dont get me wrong not saying boxers cant fight well I'm saying they cant fight as good as MMA because they limit themselves to their hands. Boxing only teaches you to use your hands and move your feet. MMA teaches you the complete deal.

Say all you want but there's been several boxers coming into MMA saying boxing is the "true" sport

regarding fighting. But they get knocked out within the first round.

It's not as simple as you are making out. The punches that boxers throw are much faster than the punches you see from mma and punches are a lot faster than kicks. So if you take a world class level mma fighter and a world class level boxer, the boxer would clearly have the advantage standing up and the way that the mma fighter would have to fight would be to take it to the ground. I know kicks have a longer range than punches but if the mma guy would start to throw a kick the boxer would just step in using his fast footwork, pop off a one-two then roll off to the opposite side of the kick. And saying that boxing only teaches you to use you hands and move your feet is also a lie. Boxing also teaches you how to move your upper body, how to read your opponent and how to roll with punches. Of course this is all just theory, it is a lot harder to know the outcome of a fight between the two than you are making out.
Nabi123Sep 27, 2011 5:35 PM
Sep 27, 2011 5:45 PM

Jul 2008
Nabi123 said:
Polarity said:

Say all you want but there's been several boxers coming into MMA saying boxing is the "true" sport

It's not as simple as you are making out. The punches that boxers throw are much faster than the punches you see from mma and punches are a lot faster than kicks. So if you take a world class level mma fighter and a world class level boxer the boxer would clearly have the advantage standing up and they way that the mma fighter would have to fight would be to take it to the ground. I know kicks have a longer range than punches but if the mma guy would start to throw a kick the boxer would just step in using his fast footwork, pop off a one-two then roll off to the opposite side of the kick. And saying that boxing only teaches you to use you hands and move your feet is also a lie. Boxing also teaches you how to move your upper body, how to read your opponent and how to roll with punches.
There is absolutely no way you could compare a boxer to an MMA fighter in a street brawl. The MMA fighter would have more than a clear advantage, I think Randy Couture proved that and then some against James Toney. The footwork you speak of is very limited once grappling is inserted into the equation.

Of course the boxer is generally going to win in a boxing senario because he is guess what? A BOXER. MMA takes into account a plethora of martials arts, boxing being one of many at their disposal. Boxing is a one dimensional sport, even the best boxers in MMA are well versed in wrestling and JJ to defend themselves from submission specialists. Chuck Liddell would be an awesome example of that, he was a great kick-boxer, but rarely ever let someone get him on his back.

The same could be said even of other forms of boxing. A traditional boxer would be completely lost when trying to defend a Muay Thai clinch.
Sep 27, 2011 5:48 PM

Jan 2011
Nabi123 said:
Polarity said:

It's not as simple as you are making out. The punches that boxers throw are much faster than the punches you see from mma and punches are a lot faster than kicks. So if you take a world class level mma fighter and a world class level boxer, the boxer would clearly have the advantage standing up and the way that the mma fighter would have to fight would be to take it to the ground. I know kicks have a longer range than punches but if the mma guy would start to throw a kick the boxer would just step in using his fast footwork, pop off a one-two then roll off to the opposite side of the kick. And saying that boxing only teaches you to use you hands and move your feet is also a lie. Boxing also teaches you how to move your upper body, how to read your opponent and how to roll with punches. Of course this is all just theory, it is a lot harder to know the outcome of a fight between the two than you are making out.

Agree... MMA has its merits but as I heard in an interview MMA is for fighters who don't want to leave their safety zone and run the risk of getting hurt, where as in boxing you have no choice but to go toe to toe and see who's actually better. With all the techniques, holds, and freestyle MMA has to offer, it's usually over when someone falls over and/or try not to get choked out. In boxing it's REQUIRED to try to incapacitate the opponent, without holding and hitting no less. If you can't bang, then you can't offer anything to the table. Sorry, MMA just seems too much like entertainment wrestling with real moves, yet WWE nonetheless.
Sep 27, 2011 6:02 PM

Jul 2008
Nabi123 said:
Because I'm making a case, I am therefore angry? I was pointing out that even in stand-up, the boxer is at a disadvantage because of grappling. A Muay Thai clinch would be the best example I could think of where the boxer would be at a significant disadvantage when standing up. Dirty boxing is something a traditional boxer would be completely unable to defend. Wrestlers like Couture thrived on putting people up against the cage and beating them up in the clinch.
Sep 27, 2011 6:05 PM

May 2008
Defiance said:
Nabi123 said:
Polarity said:

It's not as simple as you are making out. The punches that boxers throw are much faster than the punches you see from mma and punches are a lot faster than kicks. So if you take a world class level mma fighter and a world class level boxer the boxer would clearly have the advantage standing up and they way that the mma fighter would have to fight would be to take it to the ground. I know kicks have a longer range than punches but if the mma guy would start to throw a kick the boxer would just step in using his fast footwork, pop off a one-two then roll off to the opposite side of the kick. And saying that boxing only teaches you to use you hands and move your feet is also a lie. Boxing also teaches you how to move your upper body, how to read your opponent and how to roll with punches.
There is absolutely no way you could compare a boxer to an MMA fighter in a street brawl. The MMA fighter would have more than a clear advantage, I think Randy Couture proved that and then some against James Toney. The footwork you speak of is very limited once grappling is inserted into the equation.

Of course the boxer is generally going to win in a boxing senario because he is guess what? A BOXER. MMA takes into account a plethora of martials arts, boxing being one of many at their disposal. Boxing is a one dimensional sport, even the best boxers in MMA are well versed in wrestling and JJ to defend themselves from submission specialists. Chuck Liddell would be an awesome example of that, he was a great kick-boxer, but rarely ever let someone get him on his back.

The same could be said even of other forms of boxing. A traditional boxer would be completely lost when trying to defend a Muay Thai clinch.

Dude where did you get street fighting from? I was taking about a fight in the ring. Again your underestimating the footwork of a world class boxer. You making it seem as if it takes nothing to catch a world class boxer. A world class boxer such as Mayweather or Ali someone with truly great footwork would be able to use their feet to run rings around a mma fighter while popping off one-two or jabs. He would eventually be able to tire to mma guy out through a combination of the mma fighter running after the boxer and being hit. Fair enough if you can catch a boxer then on the ground the mma fighter would win no doubt. And in a grapping/clinch situation would have the advantage due to being able to use knees and such. But again it is not as easy as to predict the outcome as you and Polarity are making out by saying the mma fighter would destroy the boxer.
Sep 27, 2011 6:09 PM

Jan 2011
Defiance said:

So what did Ray Mercer prove against Tim Sylvia?

Try to stand up to a boxer and you'll be taking an early nap.

There's a thing called rules of the game; comparing a boxer in an MMA fight is like putting a Tiger Woods against Rafael Nadal in either a tennis match or golf round. They're still hitting balls but the rules and tools are different. Of course the one better at their own game will win with no problem.

Besides, Courture stated that he'd never fight James Toney in the ring because he said that Toney would beat the shit out of him in the first round. See, how I see it is that MMA fighters stay in their comfort zone so they can do whatever they want, just as long as they don't really get hurt.
Sep 27, 2011 6:16 PM

Jul 2008
Nabi123 said:
Do you mind not deleting your first post? It's hard to have a conversation with someone that completely retracts their first post and makes a new one >_>.

Anywho, you are making quite the assumption that Mayweather and Ali would "run rings" around an MMA fighter when they are obviously not accustomed to grappling, kicks or any ground techniques for that matter. Again, boxing is a one dimensional sport. It only incorporates one form of martial arts... western boxing. It does not accommodate knees, elbows, kicks, wrestling, jiu-jitsu etc. Western boxing is just one of hundreds, if not thousands of martial arts incorporated into the MMA genre.

Also, do you mean ring or cage? I said street fighting because you were being vague with your mentioning of kick-boxing.

EDIT:Fixing double post.
RamenSoup43 said:
Besides, Courture stated that he'd never fight James Toney in the ring because he said that Toney would beat the shit out of him in the first round. See, how I see it is that MMA fighters stay in their comfort zone so they can do whatever they want, just as long as they don't really get hurt.
You say the cage is a comfort zone when in actuality, the boxing ring is the comfort zone. Abiding to the rules of boxing would take away Randy's most prized talents such as ground and pound and the clinch. Fighting in the cage does not restrict Tony from using the techniques he uses in boxing.
DefianceSep 27, 2011 6:24 PM
Sep 27, 2011 6:34 PM

May 2008
Defiance said:
Nabi123 said:
Do you mind not deleting your first post? It's hard to have a conversation with someone that completely retracts their first post and makes a new one >_>.

Anywho, you are making quite the assumption that Mayweather and Ali would "run rings" around an MMA fighter when they are obviously not accustomed to grappling, kicks or any ground techniques for that matter. Again, boxing is a one dimensional sport. It only incorporates one form of martial arts... western boxing. It does not accommodate knees, elbows, kicks, wrestling, jiu-jitsu etc. Western boxing is just one of hundreds, if not thousands of martial arts incorporated into the MMA genre.

Also, do you mean ring or cage? I said street fighting because you were being vague with your mentioning of kick-boxing.

Lol sorry.

I know and I said before that if the mma fighter took it to the ground they would no doubt win and as for grappling IF they could catch the boxer then the mma guy would have the advantage. But the point I am trying to make is that it is a lot harder to catch a boxer and put him in those situations than it is for a MMA guy who would be more willing to engage in a ground fight or grappling. My other point was that a boxer would also be much better than mma fighter at fighting on the outside i.e. while circling or fighting on the move.

As for the ring or cage does this make any difference? I mean the rules would allow both fighters to use the moves they do in their respective sports. But my very first point was that I believe that overall the MMA fighter would have a slight advantage but it would not be as one side as some people on this thread are making out.
Sep 27, 2011 6:41 PM

Jul 2008
Nabi123 said:
As for the ring or cage does this make any difference? I mean the rules would allow both fighters to use the moves they do in their respective sports. But my very first point was that I believe that overall the MMA fighter would have a slight advantage but it would not be as one side as some people on this thread are making out.
The cage makes a huge difference. Many fighters are unable to accustom themselves to the techniques needed for it when they are used to the ring, just look at the failure of many of the pride guys in strikeforce and UFC *cough* Fedor *cough* Crocop *cough*. With the cage you can press their body against it during clinch making them unable to move away and are able to push their head against it on the ground making them unable to avoid vertical punches(ground and pound).

To go even a step further though, boxers would be absolutely annihilated in a vale tudo setting. Vale tudo techniques like soccer kicks are absolutely brutal and even many MMA fighters would have a hard time getting accustomed to defending them. Many of the greats from Pride are unable to do so well in the UFC because of the banning of such moves. Here's a video of the kind of attacks I'm talking about:
Sep 27, 2011 6:49 PM

Feb 2009
@Defiance - nice video, dam I miss PRIDE :( ... Still waiting for the old Shogun to return

I really wish they would allow knees to the head on the ground in the UFC. It's the perfect deterrent for weak takedown attempts.
Sep 27, 2011 6:52 PM

Jan 2011
Defiance said:
Nabi123 said:

EDIT:Fixing double post.
RamenSoup43 said:
You say the cage is a comfort zone when in actuality, the boxing ring is the comfort zone. Abiding to the rules of boxing would take away Randy's most prized talents such as ground and pound and the clinch. Fighting in the cage does not restrict Tony from using the techniques he uses in boxing.

Your point is? Okay, let's put it in another way you'd understand. Someone would consider the best gamer in the world is whoever can get like over a 50 killstreak with ease in Call of Duty, but when that person is competing against someone in Tetris where that person surpasses him and beats the CoD guy easily, does that make the other guy the best gamer in the world instead?

If you were going to throw everything out in the mix, let's throw in weapons, projectile weapons, and innocent bystanders to make it legitimate. Shoot, in real life, I'd shoot my attacker in self defense.

In any case, what I'm saying is they are good at their own respective jobs, but that's just it: I'm sure in the MMA world someone like Anderson Silva is on the top of their game, but put them in the boxing world even someone like Zab Judah or even Ricardo Mayorga (who would have fought Din Thomas awhile back, if it weren't for that treasure troll Don King) would most likely quick work of him, even with his boxing background, AND even with Freddie Roach training him. You want to say that MMA fighters are better at boxing, then let the MMA fighters beat the boxers at their own game. Hell, Ray Mercer beat Tim Sylvia in MMA so that gives boxing more creditibilty. Now let's let someone like Cain Velasquez fight a Klitschko brother in boxing and if he could knock him out then that'd prove your own point to me.
RamenSoup43Sep 27, 2011 6:56 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.