Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 27, 2011 7:15 PM
Apr 2011
Alpha-kudasu said:
Beatnik said:
Alpha-kudasu said:
Beatnik said:

Can you guys recommend a noob like me something to watch so I can at least get the jist of what you're all fascinated with?

I asked for MMA and you gave me a clip of one man raping another. :|

Welcome to the wonderful world of MMA, where one mans love for another is celebrated.

LOL! Seriously though, that happens a lot when guys with good wrestling backgrounds fight.
Sep 27, 2011 8:44 PM

Apr 2008
lol at people even suggesting that kicks wouldn't work on a boxer because of their footwork. Go to thailand and get kicked by a top tier Muay Thai fighter and then say kicks mean nothing.
Sep 27, 2011 9:13 PM

Jul 2008
RamenSoup43 said:
Hell, Ray Mercer beat Tim Sylvia in MMA so that gives boxing more creditibilty.
Not a bit in my book. Tim Sylvia is a mediocre fighter who's hay-day consisted of a very weak UFC heavyweight division at the time and generally won his matches because of his size more than his talents. I would love to see Mercer(or any of those boxers for that matter) get in the cage with someone with better wrestling/striking like Fedor or Velasquez. I mean, this is the same Mercer that lost to Kimbo Slice, right? lol

Sep 27, 2011 9:33 PM

Dec 2010
As much as I love MMA, I think I'd rather watch boxing usually. I guess it depends on who's fighting. If I know it's going to be more of a wrestling match then I'd rather watch boxing.
Sep 27, 2011 10:40 PM

Jan 2011
Defiance said:
RamenSoup43 said:
Hell, Ray Mercer beat Tim Sylvia in MMA so that gives boxing more creditibilty.
Not a bit in my book. Tim Sylvia is a mediocre fighter who's hay-day consisted of a very weak UFC heavyweight division at the time and generally won his matches because of his size more than his talents. I would love to see Mercer(or any of those boxers for that matter) get in the cage with someone with better wrestling/striking like Fedor or Velasquez. I mean, this is the same Mercer that lost to Kimbo Slice, right? lol

Yeah, that's the same song and dance everyone's said about Sylvia after this happened. So he single handedly made MMA look like a joke, but that's fine. I agree, he should have stuck with what he was good at, instead of trying to man up and fight on his feet. All of a sudden, he's the bastard son of MMA that no one wants to keep around anymore.

Really though, all I'm seeing is boxers having to go over to MMA to fight. Until MMA stars get over their safty zone and try to bang with a boxer, then they might have some sort of creditility to being called a fighter. Other than that, you can basically see any MMA fight on the playground during lunch. Still, put any striker in MMA (any weight) up against any power puncher like Sergio Martinez or Miguel Cotto (regardless of what anyone says, he's not washed up) and every time the MMA fighter would be out for the night easy.

If a MMA fighter loses against a boxer in their own style of fight, then that's an embarassment for their sport, regardless of who you try to disown afterwards.

But once again: IT'S NOT THE SAME FUCKING GAME! If they box, they box. If they wrestle, they wrestle. Now if they cross over to the other side and try another sport, do you think it's the same fucking thing? Someone who is awesome at a ground game would get floored by even a counter puncher, while a KO artist would probably get wrestled to the ground and submitted. That's why, no matter what YOU think, is why MMA will NEVER step in a boxing ring; they simply don't know how to fight that way. Can't blame them, I'm afraid of drowning so I don't swim; they're afraid of getting their ass beat so they don't box.
RamenSoup43Sep 27, 2011 10:44 PM
Sep 27, 2011 10:54 PM

Jul 2008
RamenSoup43 said:
Really though, all I'm seeing is boxers having to go over to MMA to fight. Until MMA stars get over their safty zone and try to bang with a boxer, then they might have some sort of creditility to being called a fighter.
You know what a safety zone is? When you have no ground or grappling game and call someone a pussy because you are one dimensional and are only talented in one facet of fighting.

That's like hearing a BJJ practitioner call a boxer a pussy because he won't fight him in BJJ only rules.
Sep 27, 2011 11:23 PM

Jan 2011
Defiance said:
RamenSoup43 said:
Really though, all I'm seeing is boxers having to go over to MMA to fight. Until MMA stars get over their safty zone and try to bang with a boxer, then they might have some sort of creditility to being called a fighter.
You know what a safety zone is? When you have no ground or grappling game and call someone a pussy because you are one dimensional and are only talented in one facet of fighting.

That's like hearing a BJJ practitioner call a boxer a pussy because he won't fight him in BJJ only rules.

Okay, now this is getting ridiculous... I know you're not going to change your views, that's fine. But there's a point to where you're just being beyond thick. But that's fine I guess.

Anyway, all I'm saying is if a MMA fighter wins against a boxer at their own game, THEN there's something to be impressed about from that MMA star. A boxer already beat an MMA fighter already, got a payday, and scareed that sport that night.

What is trying to be proven here isn't who can beat who, it's the current state now, that there have been boxers challenging MMA fighters, but no one from MMA is brave enough to challenge a boxer in the ring. Do you know what kind of intensity that would be if any MMA star could knock off a star boxer at their own game? Sure one can wrestle, one can strike, but can they man up in another world?

I mean, if this is too over your head I understand. I'm not here to pick some sort of fight, just to state that no MMA star hasn't challenged boxing yet while boxing has challenged MMA, and have actually won at their own game nonetheless.

I'll also say we can bring up names of who can do what to whoever all week, but at the end of it all, a MMA star can't go toe to toe with a boxer. But it's already proven once that a boxer can beat an MMA star.

So basically, up until an MMA star beats a star boxer in a boxing ring all your words can't hold up to one single merit, nor does the entire MMA community against boxing.
RamenSoup43Sep 27, 2011 11:27 PM
Sep 27, 2011 11:52 PM

Jul 2008
RamenSoup43 said:
Defiance said:
RamenSoup43 said:

Okay, now this is getting ridiculous... I know you're not going to change your views, that's fine. But there's a point to where you're just being beyond thick. But that's fine I guess.

Anyway, all I'm saying is if a MMA fighter wins against a boxer at their own game, THEN there's something to be impressed about from that MMA star. A boxer already beat an MMA fighter already, got a payday, and scareed that sport that night.

What is trying to be proven here isn't who can beat who, it's the current state now, that there have been boxers challenging MMA fighters, but no one from MMA is brave enough to challenge a boxer in the ring. Do you know what kind of intensity that would be if any MMA star could knock off a star boxer at their own game? Sure one can wrestle, one can strike, but can they man up in another world?

I mean, if this is too over your head I understand. I'm not here to pick some sort of fight, just to state that no MMA star hasn't challenged boxing yet while boxing has challenged MMA, and have actually won at their own game nonetheless.

I'll also say we can bring up names of who can do what to whoever all week, but at the end of it all, a MMA star can't go toe to toe with a boxer. But it's already proven once that a boxer can beat an MMA star.

So basically, up until an MMA star beats a star boxer in a boxing ring all your words can't hold up to one single merit, nor does the entire MMA community against boxing.
If you are going to act childish and attack me personally, you are right, there is no point in continuing the conversation.
Sep 28, 2011 12:02 AM

Jan 2011
Defiance said:
RamenSoup43 said:
Defiance said:
RamenSoup43 said:

If you are going to act childish and attack me personally, you are right, there is no point in continuing the conversation.

Okay let me make this as simple as it can get. I got work in 5 hours.

"Beat the other guy at his own game"

Then I'll be impressed. Prove their striking style is superior in the ring against the rising stars in boxing or even the older MMA stars against boxing's hall of famers.

I'm sorry if common sense offends you.

GOOD DAY SIR!
Sep 28, 2011 12:07 AM
Apr 2009
mmm... I don't really watch much of either...
most awesome stuff I did see was some Mexican wrestling on some Spanish channel. it was horribly brutal, and I don't think any of it was being particularly faked (although the actual fights may have been staged) because of how sickening the sound effects were... and in this case, it was a bunch of women... so it didn't feel so gay to me... :D
Sep 28, 2011 12:10 PM

Feb 2011
I prefer boxing.

I don't like to see two guys laying on the ground raping each other.
Sep 28, 2011 12:13 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah okay so boxing is more traditional and less violent
and MMA is Brutal,Violent and apparently homosexual??

hmmm...

Changed my sig without knowing bbcode was down. Wahhh D:
Sep 28, 2011 12:17 PM
Mar 2011
what i say is put one of the best pure strikers in mma history
Bas Rutten [ in is prime]
vs
Mike Tyson [in his prime]

i a ring were thay could Both yous there own styles

would would wn

i say a rutten

What say you
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 28, 2011 12:21 PM
Mar 2011
FlipWhatTheZip said:
Yeah okay so boxing is more traditional and less violent
and MMA is Brutal,Violent and apparently homosexual??

hmmm...

UFC is a lot more toned down Now to what it was in the Gracie vx TK or Graice vs Shamrock Days

they toned down to get a tv deal and even bfore that

i say the last proper un sanatized UFC was around 35 if that
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 28, 2011 1:34 PM

Dec 2008
Yeah, UFC was more "barbaric" back in its earlier days.

Sep 28, 2011 2:46 PM

Jan 2010
Boxing - constricted by rules, gambling, drama, hype, hands.
MMA - almost anything goes (compared to other full contact sports/arts), clean, authentic, and brutal.

Is this even a question?
Anyone hinting at MMA looking "gay" or "homosexual", is obviously a fucking pansy homophobic dumbass. Also, that guy arguing with RamenSoup is an idiot. MMA stars being in their saftey zone? LOL. Kk. So a mixed bowl of ALL the possible martial arts and contact sports INCLUDING boxing makes them have a safety zone? Holy shit where to begin? Boxers look "gay" too. Know what a clinch is?
neverLampSep 28, 2011 3:03 PM
Sep 28, 2011 3:14 PM

Aug 2011
I prefer MMA. More types of fighting styles combined and less rules. It resembles the average fight more. I mean I you got caught up into a fight on the street and your opponent would be lying down, would you wait for him to get up? Only if you're prepared to get beaten up xD. I understand why people prefer boxing though. A lot of people don't find the wrestling/grappling part of MMA interesting. But in my opinion that just adds more different layers to the game.
Sep 28, 2011 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
d4n13lr0x said:
MMA - almost anything goes (compared to other full contact sports/arts), clean, authentic, and brutal.

Is this even a question?
Anyone hinting at MMA looking "gay" or "homosexual", is obviously a fucking pansy homophobic dumbass. Also, that guy arguing with RamenSoup is an idiot. MMA stars being in their saftey zone? LOL. Kk. So a mixed bowl of ALL the possible martial arts and contact sports INCLUDING boxing makes them have a safety zone? Holy shit where to begin? Boxers look "gay" too. Know what a clinch is?

Ramensoup was the one that said mma fighters should leave their safety zone though.
Sep 28, 2011 3:24 PM

Jan 2008
jpem said:
d4n13lr0x said:

Is this even a question?

Ramensoup was the one that said mma fighters should leave their safety zone though.

I think the whole point was something along the lines of unless you beat a guy at his own game, you don't have any skill? Or something stupid like this.

Like putting a Mario Kart expert against someone who plays halo, and wonder why the halo guys wins in a frag match.
Sep 28, 2011 4:06 PM

May 2008
Derpyderp said:
I prefer MMA. More types of fighting styles combined and less rules. It resembles the average fight more. I mean I you got caught up into a fight on the street and your opponent would be lying down, would you wait for him to get up? Only if you're prepared to get beaten up xD. I understand why people prefer boxing though. A lot of people don't find the wrestling/grappling part of MMA interesting. But in my opinion that just adds more different layers to the game.

Lots of people say that and I understand what you mean but If I wanted to see a street fight I would just look up videos on youtube or whatever. The reason I watch boxing is to see the contest of skills and styles not just to see a knock-out. I would rather watch 12 rounds of great boxing where each boxing shows their skills such as combination punching, counter punching or using their footwork or upper body movement to make the other guy miss. I prefer to see a fight where the advantage ebbs and flows from one fighter to the other rather than 2 or 3 rounds of two guys just pounding on each other till one knocks the other out out. Of course MMA is more useful in a real life situation but I get more entertainment from watching boxing than MMA but that is just me and I understand while some people prefer MMA.
Nabi123Sep 28, 2011 4:12 PM
Sep 28, 2011 4:16 PM

Jan 2011
Alpha-kudasu said:
jpem said:
d4n13lr0x said:

Is this even a question?

I think the whole point was something along the lines of unless you beat a guy at his own game, you don't have any skill? Or something stupid like this.

Like putting a Mario Kart expert against someone who plays halo, and wonder why the halo guys wins in a frag match.

Okay let's go through this again.

Different game, different set of rules, right?

In a MMA match, the MMA guy is most likely to win against a boxer.
In a boxing match, the boxer will most likely to win aganst a MMA guy.

Sure, Tyson vs. Bas Rutten in their prime in a MMA event is a no brainer. Put them in a ring where you're boxing, then Rutten's definitely going to get knocked out.

Again, only boxers have crossed over to MMA to challenge them at their own game, and yes there was an event where a MMA star lost to a boxer in the octagon. (shortly after, every MMA fan disowned that fighter and blanked it out of their memories as a trivial thing) This is only counting towards actual stars, not any up and coming or amatuer in either side.

Come later on to James Toney losing to Randy Couture. Funny thing is Toney got twice as much on his MMA paycheck for losing to Couture (before the IRS stepped in of course. Toney got $1m while Couture got 500k.) In an interview, Couture rejected the chance to fight Toney in a boxing ring because "Toney would kick my ass in the first round."

As it stands, MMA fans will lean towards MMA fighters, boxing fans will lean towards boxing fighters, and the only ones challenging the other sport is boxing challenging MMA. All that proves is MMA fighters are better at MMA than boxers are. Then switch it around. Even if boxing is an aspect of martial arts the MMA stars just can't do it.

The only reason why I see that is no matter how good of a fighter they are, they can't punch with a puncher. Same as a boxer can't wrestle. Difference is that MMA fighters refuse to man up and try the other game.

Growing up, MMA finally caught the attention of entertainment wrestling fans (don't even lie to yourselves; if you post otherwise, you're lying and you know it) who grew out of that and landed in this. But after it's all said and done, it's a more realistic version of entertainment wrestling.

I'm not in the least trying to be an ass about it, I'm simply stating that the "safety zone" I talk about is that boundary between the two sports that either side will have to think carefully before crossing and challenging the other. I've yet to see a MMA star beat a world class boxer in the ring. You can agree with Couture and say it's the smart thing for a MMA fighter to do to avoid the embarrassment, or someone will have to finally man up and challenge a boxer and try to knock him out.

Once that happens, then that will finally prove this point wrong, otherwise MMA stars can't stand toe to toe with a boxer. And what would be more exciting than that?

Besides, MMA is all exciting for the first 20 seconds but once it goes to the ground it's channel surfing time. They'll be there for the remaining 4:40 of the round. As exciting as deciding wether to kick a puppy, or to kick a kitten.
Sep 28, 2011 4:18 PM

Jan 2011
Nabi123 said:
Derpyderp said:

Lots of people say that and I understand what you mean but If I wanted to see a street fight I would just look up videos on youtube or whatever. The reason I watch boxing is to see the contest of skills and styles not just to see a knock-out. I would rather watch 12 rounds of great boxing where each boxing shows their skills such as combination punching, counter punching or using their footwork or upper body movement to make the other guy miss. I prefer to see a fight where the advantage ebbs and flows from one fighter to the other rather than 2 or 3 rounds of two guys just pounding on each other till one knocks the other out out. Of course MMA is more useful in a real life situation but I get more entertainment from watching boxing than MMA but that is just me and I understand while some people prefer MMA.

G D I

This.
Sep 28, 2011 4:21 PM

Nov 2010
I like boxing more, even though it is dying. I really hope Manny Pacquiao and Mayweather fight.
Sep 28, 2011 4:26 PM

Jan 2011
willmon52 said:
I like boxing more, even though it is dying. I really hope Manny Pacquiao and Mayweather fight.

That's so last year.

I want to see Sergio Martinez fight either. He's the real threat to the other two.

I'm sure Mayweather wants no part of him and if Pacquiao asks him to drop down in weight Martinez would have no problem doing so, but I have a feeling he'd be just as dangerous at welterweight.
Sep 28, 2011 4:31 PM
Jul 2018
RamenSoup43 said:
Alpha-kudasu said:
jpem said:

The only reason why I see that is no matter how good of a fighter they are, they can't punch with a puncher. Same as a boxer can't wrestle. Difference is that MMA fighters refuse to man up and try the other game.

Or perhaps it is because as many have already said here boxing is pretty much dead. MMA/UFC on the other hand is pretty mainstream atm, meaning there is more money even if you aren't one of the top fighters. Money is a far more likely reason than people who are professional fighters being pussies.
Sep 28, 2011 4:32 PM
Mar 2011
Rutten is a Kick Boxer by style so your Saying that he could not just cut out the Kicks and it be fare

i love boxing
but

what about tank abbot [some who Hardly Kicks or Grapples] vs Riddick Bowe

also Boxing is sanatized form what it was the nuber of rounds has dropped in the Pro game as well less fights in one carrre like say sugar ray robison had 200 fights all in all wile a 5 Wight camp like Pacquiao has under a 1/4 of that

Boxers are more i a safty zone than MMA Fighters are and not only lUFC pancarase or even pride or king of the Cage are a lot less safer than Boxing

Sep 28, 2011 4:40 PM

Nov 2010
RamenSoup43 said:
willmon52 said:

That's so last year.

I want to see Sergio Martinez fight either. He's the real threat to the other two.

I'm sure Mayweather wants no part of him and if Pacquiao asks him to drop down in weight Martinez would have no problem doing so, but I have a feeling he'd be just as dangerous at welterweight.

I know its last year, but it would still be awesome. Yes, Pacquiao and Martinez would be an awesome fight. Either one of those guys could win that fight, but I would have to give Manny the nod in that fight.
Sep 28, 2011 4:57 PM

Jan 2011
Akai-Ryuusei said:
Rutten is a Kick Boxer by style so your Saying that he could not just cut out the Kicks and it be fare

i love boxing
but

what about tank abbot [some who Hardly Kicks or Grapples] vs Riddick Bowe

also Boxing is sanatized form what it was the nuber of rounds has dropped in the Pro game as well less fights in one carrre like say sugar ray robison had 200 fights all in all wile a 5 Wight camp like Pacquiao has under a 1/4 of that

Boxers are more i a safty zone than MMA Fighters are and not only lUFC pancarase or even pride or king of the Cage are a lot less safer than Boxing

In that case, two people who actually know how to punch and I don't care who wins. It would be something interesting to me. I'd love to see that happen if MMA stars who specialize in kickboxing try to challenge the sweet science. (and no not kickboxing) At least they'd have some sort of idea of what to do. And have the best chance to prove me wrong about MMA being scared to go in a boxing ring.

Anyway, boxing is more dangerous than MMA by a longshot. Think of how many blows a boxer has to endure (30-36 minutes) compared to a MMA match (15-25 minutes) A MMA fighter would get choked out or probably punched 3 times on the ground before the ref stops it (TOO dramatically I may add. Intensity? More like acting out of all the hype.) A boxer probably can endure 200 blows, if not more than half of those power shots, and still has to make it on his feet on his own in less than ten seconds. If that's not gonna give you head problems in the future, then what else will. Compare it: little damage until you get mounted, or huge damage continuously until you can't stand anymore? I mean damn, I would think a ground game is a godsend for at least 2-4 minutes of rest/wait time until the round ends. Hell, MMA fighters prefer to go to the ground where boxers are forced to man up on their feet. How many times in a real life fight where you saw one guy intentionally fall on his back to try to fight the other on the ground? LOL

(A real street fight would consist of probably bats, pipes, guns, knives, etc. Don't kid yourself with your bare handed shit. Or do you consider a real fight with fists alone? That's boxing. When you fight for real, you mostly fight dirty to win, who says that's against the rules IRL situations?)

You see how fast the ref stops the fight in an MMA fight so there's no real chance of a fighter getting seriously hurt. In boxing you're on your own and the ref is more like your mercy angel deciding when you've had enough. Same job in both, difference in taking care of the fighters.
Sep 28, 2011 4:58 PM
Sep 2009
MMA is definitely more entertaining. As for what I'd rather take up, boxing.
Sep 28, 2011 4:59 PM

Jan 2011
willmon52 said:
RamenSoup43 said:
willmon52 said:

That's so last year.

I know its last year, but it would still be awesome. Yes, Pacquiao and Martinez would be an awesome fight. Either one of those guys could win that fight, but I would have to give Manny the nod in that fight.

I don't know... Kinda second guessing that... You saw Martinez one-shot Paul Williams right? And he was my favorite fighter out of the two so as much as I was happy to see a shot like that, I was pissed that Williams was on the recieving end. And that I lost 200 bucks.
Sep 28, 2011 5:06 PM
Mar 2011
tthats new UFC the ref os over dramaitc i adit that

look at pancase [ takes place i a ring not cage for most not hevay wight fights]
but pancrese is more pure shoot figing than MMA the ref is like an ol school eraly 20' cent boxing ref

Sep 28, 2011 5:12 PM

Nov 2010
RamenSoup43 said:
willmon52 said:
RamenSoup43 said:
willmon52 said:

That's so last year.

I don't know... Kinda second guessing that... You saw Martinez one-shot Paul Williams right? And he was my favorite fighter out of the two so as much as I was happy to see a shot like that, I was pissed that Williams was on the recieving end. And that I lost 200 bucks.

I hadn't seen that before, but it was so sick. Like I said, I think that the fight could go either way.
Sep 28, 2011 5:37 PM

Jan 2011
willmon52 said:
RamenSoup43 said:
willmon52 said:
RamenSoup43 said:
willmon52 said:

That's so last year.

I hadn't seen that before, but it was so sick. Like I said, I think that the fight could go either way.

Sep 28, 2011 5:42 PM

Nov 2010
That was such a good KO, that would definiatly knock mAnny out.
Sep 28, 2011 5:51 PM

Jan 2011
willmon52 said:
That was such a good KO, that would definiatly knock mAnny out.

Williams isn't the same after this fight, he was handed a win his last fight, in which ultimately cost all three judges their jobs.

My understanding is if Martinez could take a Pacquiao flurry then he could force his counter shot in. Not sure how well of a counter puncher he is though, he usually is an agressive fighter. Really though, Martinez would have absolutely no problem dropping to welterweight.
Sep 29, 2011 7:36 PM

Feb 2011
Alot of replies to my earlier post but I cba quoting all that and replying

Simply this:

There's no real way of deciding which is better Boxing or MMA. But logically speaking if you put two in a ring the better fighter is gonna come out on top. So if you look at top fighter in each sport vs each other it's totally up for grabs. But from past experiences all boxers who have entered MMA with their one trick pony lost.

There's reason why people limit themselves in MMA most of the stuff they do is pretty deadly if you take it lightly. A boxer is trained to punch the body but mainly the head to get a knock out and defence... were as a MMA is trained to attack weak spots on the body and self defence for the vitals aka head etc.

Perfect example is whoever you think is the greatest boxer is vs Bruce Lee.

Who do you think would win? Bruce Lee of course because he is the perfect example of what MMA is supposedly meant to represent. A mixture of styles to be the BEST at every situation. No boxer in the world will ever come close to the 1 inch punch because they limit themselves to boxing. It's something like if you dont spread your wings you will die (I think I got that right :<) MMA as whole is generally evolving and that can't be said for boxing.
Oct 1, 2011 4:38 AM

Jan 2007
MMA is the combat sport of the moment, imo it's what K1 was just a few years ago, I kept hearing people talk about K1 now it's the time of MMA. I for one don't care at all for MMA, but I do watch box from time to time, not a fan really, mostly a casual watcher. bottom line, I think it's a lot easier to be a mma fighter than a boxer, when I will see MMA fighters focus more on technique then I will watch MMA too. From what I hear it's heading that way.
Oct 17, 2011 9:43 PM
Oct 2011
Neither, Boxing is a dying sport and the mma is nothing but two guys grabbing each other balls for three minutes rounds.
Oct 18, 2011 12:50 AM

Jan 2011
What the-- This again? Oh never read the whole Bruce Lee vs boxing part.

Okay Bruce Lee personifies what MMA is. Then why aren't I seeing about 12 Jeet Kun Do masters that use the One Inch Punch, and why are most fighters bunch of dudes that just pull people to the floor and just wail away? And those are the actual exciting ones to watch!

You say variety, in actuality it's still just the equivilant of a bar fight inside of a cage. Believe it or not, bar fights do include hooking the leg and throwing them down, holds, and punching someone on the ground until they give up. Ever been in one where there's no ref to stop it?

In other words, another WWE match that just happens to not pull punches. I mean, entertainment wrestling is JUST AS freeform, since they get to make up their own stuff.

And falling asleep during boxing matches? There's no time to fall asleep during MMA matches because they're too short for anything to happen.

BTW, I still think the Hopkins/Dawson fuckup was more interesting to watch.

But once again, I guess you get into what you grow up with.
Oct 18, 2011 1:06 AM

Sep 2011
MMA.

It is always an honor to watch Anderson Silva fight.

silvataunts.gif
Oct 18, 2011 11:34 AM

Jan 2011
OriginANIME said:
MMA.
It is always an honor to watch Anderson Silva fight.silvataunts.gif

I actually have some respect for Silva, he's the only one so far that WANTS to try to fight a ranked boxer in the ring. But his choice is Roy Jones Jr. He's already 42.

Considering he was one of the best fighters until his age really started to show. Around 40s you start to get slow no matter what sport you do. Silva is starting to push that age too at like 36. But was also trained by Freddie Roach so of course his punching accuracy is going to be above average than most other fighters.

Oh, Silva does have a short lived pro boxing career. 1-1 with 1 KO. He's decent, but with the competition now he could move up the ranks if he wanted to easily, then I'd say (if he stays at 185, which in boxing is cruiserweight, not middleweight) he could fight Antonio Tarver, maybe if he drops to Light Heavy set up a fight with Glen Johnson or go ahead with the fight with Jones Jr.

I'd say he'd have a good chance because he's already an accurate puncher.

If he REALLY wanted to put up or shut up though, he'd have to walk out on Dana White. I'd respect him more if he did that.
Oct 18, 2011 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
MMA :)
Oct 18, 2011 12:15 PM

Sep 2011
RamenSoup43 said:
OriginANIME said:MMA.
It is always an honor to watch Anderson Silva fight.
I actually have some respect for Silva, he's the only one so far that WANTS to try to fight a ranked boxer in the ring. But his choice is Roy Jones Jr. He's already 42.
Considering he was one of the best fighters until his age really started to show. Around 40s you start to get slow no matter what sport you do. Silva is starting to push that age too at like 36. But was also trained by Freddie Roach so of course his punching accuracy is going to be above average than most other fighters.
Oh, Silva does have a short lived pro boxing career. 1-1 with 1 KO. He's decent, but with the competition now he could move up the ranks if he wanted to easily, then I'd say (if he stays at 185, which in boxing is cruiserweight, not middleweight) he could fight Antonio Tarver, maybe if he drops to Light Heavy set up a fight with Glen Johnson or go ahead with the fight with Jones Jr.
I'd say he'd have a good chance because he's already an accurate puncher.
If he REALLY wanted to put up or shut up though, he'd have to walk out on Dana White. I'd respect him more if he did that.

"But his choice is Roy Jones Jr. He's already 42." - RamenSoup43

Wasn't it Roy Jones who said he wanted to fight the spider? (Correct me if I am wrong of course)
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfslRC3bXhc

MMA takes much more out of your body compared to boxing that is why you see so many people retiring at the age of 35-38 in MMA while in boxing you see some people fight up into their 50s. (Not saying everyone but some) Dan Henderson is one of the only strikers that pop into my head who is still fighting strong in his 40s in MMA against top competition.

henderson-bisping-gif.gif

As for the boxing career... that was a really long time ago. Silva was very inexperienced and to be honest, I am not surprised he didn't do too well. As of right now I think he would do much better than people think he would. If not at 36, when he was 33-34 I am positive he would have done amazingly.

4.gif
6.gif

A lot of people would critisize Anderson if he left MMA for boxing because MMA is still growing rapidly. The only very good fights left in boxing are the big name fighters in my opinion.

Btw I love both MMA and Boxing so don't think I am hating on boxing guys! :(
funkotakuOct 18, 2011 12:44 PM
Oct 18, 2011 4:50 PM

Jan 2009
Sozora said:
The only thing I hate in MMA is that basically most fighters can't respect their opponents when they've been knocked out and continue beating the shit out of them.
I know some of them are smart and fake but usually it's hella noticeable when you knock your opponent out considering these guys ARE professional

I agree with this but believe it or not its a safer sport then boxing with less brain trauma cases. However you are correct it is definitely noticeable if you knock someone out and not all of them are disrespectful like that. Most of the time when they have bad blood between them they do go overboard.

@OP boxing is not dying and prob never will. It is just not as action packed and diverse as MMA. MMA is a mix between like 4 or 5 Olympic caliber sports so of course its more action vs one single dimension sport.
Oct 18, 2011 8:21 PM

Jan 2011
Fix the stupid quote thing!
@OriginANIME
Anyway, I'm not saying he has to leave MMA for the fight, he just has to get past Dana White. His reasons being he doesn't want his fighters getting hurt outside of MMA fights, but actually he knows his fighters aren't trained to fight like that and can't keep up with a boxer in the ring. Just the same as a boxer not knowing how to single-leg takedown right. Besides, 35-38 is the ideal time to retire as a boxer as well. The reason why boxers still fight past that age is that they get paid way better to keep going compared to MMA.
Jones Jr. is 42 which is pretty old for any sport. Silva hasn't taken many blows to the head like a boxer that has been in the sport long enough. Who knows, he IS fast for a person his size and with punching training from the world's best boxing coach (Freddie Roach, trainer of boxing champions Manny Pacquaio and Amir Khan) he can do some damage to up and coming boxers. I believe Jones is at the time of retirement since he's dropped his last 3 fights. Don't get me wrong though.
I agree there are some older boxers that are still having success. Glen Johnson is the same age and he's did fairly well in the Super Six. Bernard Hopkins became the oldest boxer to win a major title, beating out George Foreman's performance against Michael Moore in '97 (even though Dawson threw Hopkins on the ground and somehow took his title just recently.) Foreman still fought almost to his fifties before losing to Shannon Briggs in a close fight, someone 22 years in difference.
No doubt that Silva can punch though. Can't say for the rest of the sport which is full of flailing arms around.
I think Henderson (or any MMA striker) would go down easy from a shot from Sergio Martinez though. Wide swing like that was William's downfall.
RamenSoup43Oct 18, 2011 8:26 PM
Oct 19, 2011 12:58 AM

Sep 2011
@Sozora
About the fighters attacking their opponents when they are clearly knocked out. As much as I agree with that being a dick move, you keep going until the referee stops the fight. That is why there are referees to begin with. You can't really blame the fighters.

@RamenSoup43
Yeah I understand what you are saying. I hope you don't think I am trying to argue with you, just having a friendly discussion! :D I hate it when people think someone can't just like both MMA and Boxing at the same time. -o-
Oct 19, 2011 12:37 PM

Jan 2011
OriginANIME said:
@RamenSoup43
Yeah I understand what you are saying. I hope you don't think I am trying to argue with you, just having a friendly discussion! :D I hate it when people think someone can't just like both MMA and Boxing at the same time. -o-

All good. I just happen to keep up with boxing more, and what I'm most upset about is how people like Joe Rogan and Dana White try to push the idea that boxing is dead. But that's what competitors in business have to do to get more business, since both boxing and MMA are a business first then a sport. Also there's the equivilant of how fangirls/fanboys ruin good anime shows (which is why I can't take DBZ seriously ever) except it's hardcore MMA fans. There's other sports comparisons.

But I like the nonstop action of boxing more than MMA though. I like the strikers but when it comes down for it they're just mostly swinging for the fences and that's about it, when there's a more of a match of intelligence and ability I notice more in boxing, which is why there's always a science to it. Mix in too many styles and it loses all kind of meaning and turns into a street fight and no longer a sport. I know people would disagree and say the addition of all kinds of styles make what it is today, but as far as I see there's only wrestling and holds, kickboxing, and tripping someone up, pinning them down, and just throwing elbows at their head, which seems to be getting kinda boring to me.
Oct 19, 2011 2:14 PM
Jul 2010
Both of these sports aren't interesting for me.
Oct 20, 2011 1:45 AM

Jan 2010
Just saying now, what I respect about both sports is that:
No matter how they say they hate each other before a fight, they're completely find with each other right after it finishes.
I mean, I'd be agro as hell if I was getting pounded.
These guys in these sports are gentlemen.

Anyways, I haven't watched too much boxing, but I can enjoy it for what it is.
The dodging is amazing.

MMA is good - sometimes. I tend to prefer watching the lighter divisions for some reason..

Pretty neutral.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.