Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 2, 2008 6:09 PM
May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After that episode I finally understand this series. Who Rem is, who the person Vash must see, why the planet looks like that, etc etc. The only thing I don't get is the technology they have. Like how is Vash alive after 107+ years? And why has his body been frozen in time? Like in the July place he looked the same as he did 21 years later.
Jul 10, 2008 5:24 AM

Jun 2007
Well, it seems apparent that Vash and Knives aren't human (seeing as they grew from babies to the size they were in a year) so that might explain the long lifespan. I'm guessing the technology was from the ships, but as time has gone by, people just forgot how to use and maintain it.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Sep 9, 2008 11:07 PM

Jun 2008
so after 16 episode they finally told us the story
Sep 18, 2008 11:16 PM
Sep 2008
crazy ass knives..

and vash with 2 pistols *hawt*
Sep 18, 2008 11:20 PM

Apr 2007
Vash and Knives were found in space or some shit. They're, like, aliens.
I'm guessing the technology was from the ships, but as time has gone by, people just forgot how to use and maintain it.

It's not that they forgot. Chances are they never knew in the first place. All of the people who made it onto the planet alive were frozen while on the ship. If they were taught beforehand, that wouldn't make any sense, because the plants for example have always been mysterious to the people on the planet.
NeverenderSep 18, 2008 11:23 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2008 10:57 AM
Apr 2008
To me that was the best episode. The story of Vashs' life is finally told. For like the first five minutes of the episode I thought I was watching a new anime.
Oct 12, 2008 10:58 AM

Jun 2008
OntarioOct 21, 2012 5:50 PM
(づ°‿°.)づ
Aug 14, 2009 11:55 AM

Feb 2008
Cero said:
Like how is Vash alive after 107+ years? And why has his body been frozen in time? Like in the July place he looked the same as he did 21 years later.

Yeah I don't understand this part at all.

At first he matures insanely fast in just one year, next he doesn't change at all in 21 years?

Ontario said:

I would've liked to find that out myself..

Sep 2, 2009 3:01 PM

Apr 2009
Very good backstory, although it did feel a little rushed. Could have worked better over 2 eps.
Oct 13, 2009 10:48 PM

Mar 2009
That was so heartbreaking, seeing Vash cry when rem died. :<
I thought knives was cool after awhile but then what he did was just completely messed up..
But watching this story of what happened before was really cool.
5/5.

Dec 6, 2009 5:12 AM
Oct 2009
umm thats some crazy shit...i think Knives is awesome...
but i don like the fact the first 16 episode are all comedy with little action..then just drop this emotional intelligent episode out of no where...
Dec 13, 2009 7:17 PM

Dec 2009
Wow, this episode brings alot to perspective, I LOVE Trigun.
Feb 13, 2010 11:09 AM

Dec 2009
Huh. I think I liked it better when I thought Vash was human. I really enjoyed the first 15 episodes & now I'm not sure I'm going to like where it's going.
Such junk...
Apr 13, 2010 5:22 PM

Jul 2009
They could have done better with telling the Trigun story because it is such a deceptive little bugger, but I love it! mind was blown.
May 6, 2010 8:58 AM

Apr 2009
After seeing this episode came to my mind the history of Cain and Abel (Christian story about two brothers, the bad and the good one), adding the events from the episode before when they say that Vash is some kind of God's Intervention...
Jun 19, 2010 11:59 AM

Feb 2009
That was incredible, this episode really answered A LOT of questions.
Jun 24, 2010 6:40 AM

Mar 2009
I thought it was boring at first, but turned out quite decent.
Jul 2, 2010 6:20 AM
Mar 2010
Explains quite alot! :p
Aug 16, 2010 12:40 PM
Aug 2010
Filler episode, but it is very important, because it explains lots of things. LOL, little Vash with long hair looked like a little girl xD So was Knives xD
Aug 31, 2010 1:33 PM

May 2009
Okay. Now I understand a bit. Well, a lot actually. Fucking Knives. Yes, Vash looked like a girl xD; So Knives made them do it. Although it explains a lot, some new questions are raised. What's Legato's relation to Knives? He (or one of his minions) mentioned someone, a father figure... Maybe Knives? Also, Vash's thinking was actually contradictory. Knives was right at that time. You can't save both the butterfly and the spider. If you somehow manage to change spider's ways, it's diet, then it's not a "spider" really. It's not physical form alone that makes an organism. "It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" ... as an eminent philosopher once said xD; Besides, to process different foods, the spider will eventually have to evolve some other mechanism, which would definitely mean it's won't stay a spider.

I felt sad for Rem though. Something makes me wonder if she realized that Knives was behind what happened but decided to stay behind anyway. Another thing, why doesn't Vash remember anything from that time.

One thing is for sure, this is one of the most meaningful filler episodes ever done in an anime series, imho. It adds something to the story - a background and a base - if you will. It has increased my interest in this series and so I give it a 4/5. -1 because some of the philosophical dialog between the crew members of the ship missed it's mark. Probably lost in translation.

*EDIT: zOMG! I suddenly have this insane craving for roasted chicken O_O;
honey88foruAug 31, 2010 1:47 PM
Oct 20, 2010 9:09 AM

Oct 2009
Wow so...what exactly is Vash? A genetically engineered human? Or a alien or something? ;o
IMO this should have been spread out more, everything happened way too quickly, should have developed Rem's character more.
5/5
Nov 28, 2010 4:48 PM
May 2009
Ducha said:
Filler episode, but it is very important, because it explains lots of things. LOL, little Vash with long hair looked like a little girl xD So was Knives xD

Umm, in other words, not a filler episode.

If its explains the entire backstory of the main character (and the world of the show in general), it most certainly isn't filler.
Jan 1, 2011 9:21 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode. I would never have guessed that Vash wasn't human. They should of told the backstory a lot earlier in the series. I wonder how they are going to end it in the next 9 episodes.
Jan 12, 2011 7:36 AM

Sep 2010
Shit just got real... xD

Pretty sick episode.
Jan 21, 2011 11:32 PM

Aug 2010
A filler episode? Bull crap. We needed all of that information. Knives is going to come into the story again I'm sure. We needed to know who Rem was, why Vash is the way he is, why they're on a strange planet.

May 25, 2011 10:09 AM
Nov 2010
Ontario said:

I watched this series 10 years ago and don't remember a damn thing about it. I find myself hoping the Ontario is a fucking idiot and has a horrible memory and he's wrong. I'm quite upset that some jackass post a possible spoiler on here from May 2009 and it wasn't removed since these post are suppose to be spoiler free. Needless to say I wont be checking out any more of these forums mid series anymore.
May 25, 2011 8:35 PM

Oct 2008
Awww. :(

Rem seemed like an awesome person. D:
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 31, 2011 8:44 AM
Dec 2010
What a serious episode. 'm glad to learn who is(was) Rem finally
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Dec 31, 2011 9:13 AM
Dec 2010
OranSolus said:
Well, it seems apparent that Vash and Knives aren't human (seeing as they grew from babies to the size they were in a year) so that might explain the long lifespan. I'm guessing the technology was from the ships, but as time has gone by, people just forgot how to use and maintain it.

Yeah they were hibernated and they were probably ordinary ppl, so they probably never understood the technology in first place, just as you or me don't know how to create or fix smart phone or any other complex device without support of specialized factories and proper equipment.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Jan 18, 2012 4:44 AM
Jan 2012
Speicer said:
Ontario said:

I watched this series 10 years ago and don't remember a damn thing about it. I find myself hoping the Ontario is a fucking idiot and has a horrible memory and he's wrong. I'm quite upset that some jackass post a possible spoiler on here from May 2009 and it wasn't removed since these post are suppose to be spoiler free. Needless to say I wont be checking out any more of these forums mid series anymore.

Actually it can be deduced from this and previous episodes that Vash is connected somehow with the plants:
Knives said: "You and me will be fine, the Plant ship will survive. We need to create our new home, after all" - this clearly states that Knives identifies himself and Vash with the Plants in some way.
Another clue to this connection is the fact that Vash can somehow communicate with Plants. We saw that in episodes 6 and 9 (I may have forgotten about one)

It really shouldn't be a surprise to an observant watcher.
Feb 14, 2012 11:40 PM
Sep 2008
Absolutely masterful. I don't think there was a single thing I disliked about this episode. When the ship blew up at the end, I actually felt an emotional punch in the gut, even though I knew deep inside what was probably gonna happen.

Sniff...Now excuse me, I have some sand in my eye. ;_;
Mar 4, 2012 5:04 PM

Feb 2010
GREAT episode. I never was interested in watching this series so far in the past, and I am soooo glad I did. I see why this was a groundbreaking show in the 90s and how it has a such a large following. Vash is awesome indeed.
Mar 16, 2012 5:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wow. Amazing backstory. How is Legato linked to Knives though?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 26, 2012 1:14 AM
Jul 2018
I liked this better as a comical western. Still, how could they name a kid "Knives" and not expect him to turn out bad? Haha, come on now.
Jul 28, 2012 9:05 PM

Jul 2012
rlayer said:
I liked this better as a comical western. Still, how could they name a kid "Knives" and not expect him to turn out bad? Haha, come on now.

Yeah I enjoyed the earlier episodes more so far. I like Vash we he's not serious. The show is still pretty good.
Oct 14, 2012 3:27 AM

Aug 2009
A really good episode. One of those rare flashbacks that are justified and interesting. A lot of questions were answered and some more were revealed.

+1 on my rating.
Dec 6, 2012 7:07 AM

Dec 2010
Cero said:
After that episode I finally understand this series. Who Rem is, who the person Vash must see, why the planet looks like that, etc etc.

This. Now it all makes sense, the anime now has a logic(one of its own), so I can finally acknowledge it. I'm looking forward to the next episodes from now on.
Jan 9, 2013 2:56 AM

Jan 2012
Better late than never I guess. Finally we got to know Vash's past. Looking forward to next episode.

Jan 22, 2013 12:19 AM
Aug 2011
Wow! Why did they have to fill whole 16 episodes with those kinds of things when they had this background! Whatever, that was unexpected and wonderful.
Mar 3, 2013 5:41 PM
Apr 2011
this was a great ep. very cool backstory.
Apr 25, 2013 6:46 AM

Apr 2008
Rem's Death broke my heart. She practically saved mankind at the cost of her own. It explains Vash's motivations just to carry on as her legacy.
Aug 5, 2013 2:55 PM

Apr 2009
honey88foru said:
Fucking Knives.

This. Thousand times this.
Dec 14, 2013 8:54 PM

Aug 2013
Well, now we understand why Vash is literally overpowerful. I think that there is a high possibily that Legato is the other boy (don't know how to spell is name), they have the same objective, eradication of human. And Legato seem to know how to activate Vash weird beam. Is blue hair could just be tainted. Next episode will surely be about what happened at July. Also, Vash seem to have killed people in the past.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 20, 2013 3:36 PM

May 2012
I did not asked for these feels! But damn this back story episode was so impressive, really things make so much more sense now and man does it make the story even more epic! Really things sure are getting damn epic! So let's see what's next!
Feb 4, 2014 10:16 AM
Aug 2013
damn what an episode! Poor vash. he's been getting shit ever since he was born
Feb 17, 2014 2:48 PM

Aug 2012
That episode was insanely good. Anybody know of any similar sci-fi anime like this episode? I'm craving more ...
Jul 30, 2014 7:48 PM

Jul 2013
IchiroEX said:
Rem's Death broke my heart. She practically saved mankind at the cost of her own. It explains Vash's motivations just to carry on as her legacy.

That was an intense back story :O
Sep 2, 2014 11:08 AM

Jan 2014
The backstory is nice like I remembered.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 15, 2014 1:44 PM

Jul 2013
Poor Rem :(

So Vash and Knives (or Millions Knives as it says on the end credits - lol, it should be Millions A. Knives xD) are like aliens or something and they're like 108 now!

Woah ... that's weird and all the space ship stuff, I did not expect all that.
Jun 28, 2015 10:15 PM

Aug 2013
It was interesting to find out that Vash had only knew Rem for a single year, and that was during his early childhood. Nevertheless, she of course had a huge impact on how he dealt with violence as well as his philosophy for life. What surprised me about the whole ordeal was that she had actually been a mother figure to him instead of a former lover that I previously thought.

The bionic arms and the mystery of those large hourglass-like machines with the exact purpose of maintaining the existence of human settlements within a desert have still yet been explained though, so hopefully the rest of the episodes won’t leave anything hanging by the end.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Trigun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kie_ - Sep 9, 2008

68 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 23, 6:35 PM

Poll: » Trigun Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kie_ - Sep 8, 2008

55 by nightjasmine »»
Apr 22, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Trigun Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kie_ - Sep 8, 2008

67 by SouthRzVa »»
Apr 19, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Kinda disappointed

Tomi3b - Apr 5

44 by SafeEntity »»
Apr 18, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Trigun Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Cero - Jul 2, 2008

72 by PSX_Aloe »»
Apr 14, 5:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.