Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 26, 2015 5:43 AM

Jul 2009
Another great episode! OMG his students are the most problematic ones ever!
Feb 26, 2015 6:55 AM

Apr 2013
Great episode, love the new students.
Apr 15, 2015 5:12 AM

Mar 2015
Episode 2 was much better but this episode is not that bad too...I find it more interesting to introduce a new students with unique personality and status.....each student has different style makes this show awesome and fun to watch :3

Since I am death note fan, I LOLed at Yagami Light scene.....ahahahhaha XD Unfortunately I haven't watch that many anime, most references are hard to understand......sigh :(

Double suicide of Sensei and Matoi at the end XD
Aug 31, 2015 3:58 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I love the new girl Kaede. She brings a cool new element to proceedings. I love the split personality deal he has going on.

So many references this episode.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 21, 2015 6:29 AM

Jan 2012
students are unique in this anime.

Dec 3, 2015 10:52 AM

Sep 2014
I just saw my GOD!!! (Kira) in this Episode. Damn!! Now i have no choice but to give 10/10 to this Anime otherwise Kira will Punish me.
Dec 6, 2015 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
The TTGL reference, lol.
Jun 10, 2016 7:10 PM
Dec 2014
Too bad the anime references are from shows that I have no interest in,so much of it flies over my head. Dragon Ball actually kept me from watching anime for years, god that show was so shit that even 11 year old me disliked it.

Some of the jokes aren't really jokes, Gawker just filed chapter 5. The American justice system is a cautionary tale where I live.
Aug 17, 2016 8:40 AM

Dec 2015
Was this episode poking fun at Japan's xenopobic attitude? It seemed that way unless the author just didn't notice it with the scenario he created although it would be kind of hard to not notice it lol.
Jan 27, 2017 9:42 PM

May 2016
Pink Supervisor got killed by Kira right off the bat but due to his despairful nature, it was just a daydream. I can see Gurren Lagann, Dragon Ball and the Phoenix Wright reference made me lol.

Kafuka's uncle is in prison. How she acts happily all the time makes me think that she'll snap soon...

Fanservice out of boredom and old-fashioned suicide. It's unexpected yet expected but I'm liking it so far.

A legal returnee who has split personalities depending on which country she went to and an illegal moe immigrant who's just too cute to kick out. Itoshiki's commentary about Amurica's justice system is accurate :3

"I'll be gentle..." -Fat otaku to kid I guess that I'm not the only one who has been reading a loli manga lately.

Matoi and Pink Supervisor getting a cameo at the end xD A 3rd split personality enters the playing field and she's rocking my heart. Now that I think of it... her jam reminds me too fucking much of Panty singing <3
Kajo_Senpai69Jan 27, 2017 9:49 PM

Apr 18, 2017 10:41 AM

Apr 2015
Kaere's accent makes me weak at the knees.

The immigrant student segment was probably my favorite because of how solid several gags were:

-"I'm Honda." "I'm Mitsubishi."
-"All kinds of things get thrown away in Japan...televisions, fridges, stoves, bicycles, babies..." "Babies?!"
-*after seeing pedo cornering a child and saying "I'll be gentle"* "They're kind to young children!"
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 10, 2017 11:34 AM
Aug 2012
japan is a good country: they say people are cute, when they really aren't; they are kind to little children- everyone in this country is nice! It's a good country . I like it!- very sharp healthysence of cynicism- that is why I like this country! xD
Aug 18, 2017 12:09 AM

Apr 2017
both incarnations of Tarou Sekiutsu are some of my favourite characters in this show.

Also, Chie-sensei is one of the most attractive, yet simple character designs I've ever seen. Her wardrobe choices are really nice and more stylish rather than sexy which gives her some nice individuality, even though she doesn't really have a lot of great lines, she feels like a somewhat fleshed out character mostly on how she's portrayed.
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Feb 13, 2018 12:36 PM

Sep 2017
Well, this episode has been shockingly political.

First, we see the perspective of foreigners by Japanese people as given by pink supervisor, then we see the view of Japanese by first world countries. When arriving at Japan, they are shocked at some of the cultural practices and are quite surprised at the unwelcome greeting given to them, however, suddenly they fall in love with the Japanese culture. But, when they learn that they cannot be totally Japanese, they give in to despair and get depressed, barely saved by the power of anime and manga(rooftops exist only in anime and manga, you can't access them in real life Japanese high schools). And then we learn that the Japanese perception of the foreigners has not been that far off from the mark, and we are treated to a courtroom sketch, which is basically the difference in laws between Japan and foreign nations(like, did you know that the legal age for consensual relations in Japan is 13? And the fact that riding doubles on a bicycle is highly illegal, with fines upto $170? And that crimes in Japan are quite low?)

Then we are treated to the illegal immigrants status in Japan, which says a lot. It appears that distinguishing illegal immigrants is a piece of cake, given their naming conventions. However, this episode also shows the kind and welcoming nature of Japanese towards immigrants and the ensuing hilarity. In the end, we are treated to Pink Supervisor and Stalker-san consummating their true deep love for each other, meaning that this review that I just made is complete BS.

BTW, does despair equal depression?
If person A has depression, does A necessarily be a victim of despair?
Likewise, if person B has despair, is he a victim of depression? Food for thought.

I am expecting more Maeda-kun next episode else I will not rate this episode a 5. We need more Maeda.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 20, 2018 8:52 AM
Nov 2016
the girl who asked if one should watch fireworks from above or below..

did nozomu just predicted the movie the fireworks, should we watch it from the side or the bottom? like holy shit am i the only one?

jump at minute 2:30
Oct 6, 2018 4:52 AM
Sep 2015
SinisterOne said:
I got a feeling that, this anime was made by some stoners o.o

Ikr just what kind of weed do they buy? I can't think of a normal person creating an anime like this one.

Also that Maeda guy ruins the episode. I hope I never see that face again
Oct 6, 2018 4:54 AM
Sep 2015
I love SHAFT, but this anime is so different. It feels so random?

And wow at all the references. I didn't notice any of them, but reading about you guys finding them on the episode... it made me appreciate this anime a little more.

Lol @ everyone wanting to protect Maria
Oct 6, 2018 4:58 AM
Sep 2015
Feniksrises said:
Too bad the anime references are from shows that I have no interest in,so much of it flies over my head. Dragon Ball actually kept me from watching anime for years, god that show was so shit that even 11 year old me disliked it.

Thank you. Dragon Ball is stupid. They could have referenced some better anime shows, but I guess there weren't any better in 2007 (when this anime aired)?
Mar 7, 2019 4:43 PM
Mar 2018
This episode went political. And mostly as expected from japan. But that author guy seems oddly familiar. Wasn't he in some scandal or was it another bald guy?
Mar 15, 2019 2:58 PM

Apr 2016
I feel like this series references the bad of society too much. I don't exactly mind it, but more than a handful of people would be offended even if it's subtly implied. On that note, I wouldn't be surprised if there were reviews oriented towards pointing out the negativity of the series, given the number of pessimists out there.

But it's dark humor, what can you expect? That aside, the former episode was much funnier.

Gotta find out who that bald dude is
Apr 23, 2019 12:08 PM

Mar 2017
They dialed it back a little from the shocking humour of the last episode, but I still liked all the references and randomness this time around, too. So far it was a mixed bag for me, I thought the first episode was kinda lame, I really loved the second one, and this one was just "okay". I really hope I'll end up liking it!
Jun 22, 2019 12:21 PM

Jul 2016
Not interesting. Only thing interesting is the music and the art.
Jul 18, 2019 12:49 PM
Apr 2016
Gotta protect the dark loli. Lmao I bet it was Nozomu hanging at the end.
Oct 2, 2019 2:19 AM

May 2015
The humor is so crude I love it.
Must protecc the cute illegal immigrant.
Jun 4, 2020 7:53 AM

Oct 2019
A transfer student with a split personality..that is gotta be a first for me..XD

An absolutely wacky experience in every way this one..

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
Jul 5, 2021 10:05 PM

Apr 2020
The Death Note reference sure is the best one in this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2021 4:10 PM

Jan 2019
The episode of the foreigners.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has me thinking now...

First, Kaere. She is a totally different foreigner than usual, and that is something backfired by the looks and personalities that have conflicted with this move to Japan.

Second, Tarou. Innocent, a pure girl that everyone wants to protect, but internally causes uneasiness. It is an interesting situation to imagine that anime conveys illegal immigration in this way. Tarou is not to blame for that, she is a poor child who simply wants to be happy.

And Zetsubou Sensei shows, even if in a hidden way, that behind hope there is some pain to be hidden, a problem that causes the prospect of a better future, or the lack of it, after all, we are talking about a class that does not follow patterns. The standard here is desperation and being as different as possible. And it is succeeding!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» How much could I enjoy this series if I didn't know so much about Japanese pop culture?

paraparado - Dec 11, 2023

6 by Nvaier »»
Apr 11, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hamel - Dec 21, 2007

123 by Fafette »»
Feb 18, 3:53 PM

Poll: » Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Oct 31, 2007

67 by notsobersry »»
Dec 20, 2023 9:28 AM

» The sound effects in this anime

dicloflom - Dec 9, 2023

4 by dicloflom »»
Dec 10, 2023 3:54 AM

» Why does Zetsubou-Sensei keep on trying to kill himself?

removed-user - Dec 8, 2023

0 by removed-user »»
Dec 8, 2023 8:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.