Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 20, 2011 8:19 AM

Apr 2009
WTF? I cant believe it ended that way. I loved the manga up to the last 2-3 chapters, i think it was solid even after the time skip. I didnt have a problem with Rin having those feeling for Dai, it made sense and he was reacting quite well and realisticly to the problem but that he ends up seeing her as more than a daughter is just so weird to me. The last couple chapters made me drop 2 ponts for the manga and ended up giving it 8/10, I would consider it a 6 or a 5 if it wasnt because of the great first half.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 21, 2011 6:44 PM
Jun 2010
m4rc0 i agree with everything you just said. You are right about everything. The author had lots of material to work on but she throwed it away. Its really disappointing D:

aside from that,the ending just,idk,creeped me out to be honest. I mean 24 years of difference. I would have been satisfied, if Rin ended with Kouki and Daikichi ended with Kouki's mother.
Sep 22, 2011 10:44 PM

Oct 2007
I loved everything about this, The beginning, middle,and end. My only problem with it is that it ended I wanted to see more. I've seen enough anime that this so called shocking end was really anything but to me. Yes is did feel a little rush but overall it was a great story for me. Complain about the author but as long as she stayed true to what she wanted I stand by how she ended it. I just hope the extra volume has more of what comes next not just some random story of the past but of their future.
Sep 24, 2011 1:19 AM

Jul 2009
Only bad thing I saw was that it felt really rushed... I wanted stuff that happened to the other characters, or maybe even talk about the real father between the real mom and her new husband...

other than that it was adequate... a nice ending with a nod to the beginning
Sep 26, 2011 8:44 AM

Dec 2010
Goosey said:
I feel dirty after reading that ending. Totally unnecessary second half.

Well this is your opinion, in Japan this manga was a big hit. If they made a second season they surely do not deviate from the manga to please a minority of non-factors americans/foreigners bigots.

nanaki254 said:
Only bad thing I saw was that it felt really rushed... I wanted stuff that happened to the other characters, or maybe even talk about the real father between the real mom and her new husband...

Agree, was a nice ending but rushed as i said before. The mangaka should made more chapters and spin-offs to show what happen in the future. :)
Fn76Sep 26, 2011 8:48 AM
Sep 27, 2011 8:23 PM

Dec 2009
Fnights said:
Goosey said:
I feel dirty after reading that ending. Totally unnecessary second half.

Well this is your opinion, in Japan this manga was a big hit. If they made a second season they surely do not deviate from the manga to please a minority of non-factors americans/foreigners bigots.

nanaki254 said:

Agree, was a nice ending but rushed as i said before. The mangaka should made more chapters and spin-offs to show what happen in the future. :)

I agree, but please no more time skips.
Sep 27, 2011 9:53 PM

Oct 2010
no me gusta ending. Did not like at all!!!!!! It's supposed to be a father/daughter relationship but now it's just weird... and pedophillic...

I like the anime much better!
Sep 29, 2011 1:21 AM

Oct 2009
I am not complaining about the ending... though I REALLY wanted Daikichi with Kouki's mom
anyway, I felt the 2nd half of the series was draggy and boring for my taste... I meant my heart was melting in warmness by the 1st half then It became a shoujo manga...ughh
>>me is actually skipping everything from chap 34 - 55 so I could see the ending ahahahaha
well I wasn't that disappointed... and the author wanted it to be that way, then I guess I'll give it a 7/10 now
Sep 30, 2011 3:39 AM
Aug 2010
i like the first half better....
When you're miserable, you need to make someone even more miserable than yourself. - Lucy
Oct 1, 2011 11:51 PM
Mar 2011
I guess I can accept them to be together, up until then...
but, to have a child is kind of weird for me :S
just shocking, I'm not saying it's a bad ending, I dont know if you understand me... xD

I thought it was clear they weren't related since the beginning, but still...
I really can't understand why she couldn't like kouki...
( I was rooting for them since they met xD)

and it's bad I already knew what was going to happen thanks to stupid comments of people who love to spoil things in the anime videos... ¬¬

but maybe that's why I could accept it? who knows...
Oct 10, 2011 12:06 PM
Jun 2009
the ending kinda ruined it for me as well. how the hell can you make a child you've been raising since she was six year old your wife? it's just disturbing and illogical. wouldn't you feel that she's been your daughter regardless of blood ties?

i thought i understood rin's attraction to daikichi at first, after all he had raised her well even though he wasn't obligated to. i even thought it was a late on-set of electra complex of some sort (LOL), but no. rin had got it all figured out, at the age of 16/17, she likes his guardian. what was that???

if anything, whether you liked the ending or not, the timeskip was definitely rushed. there was no depth in the story and no character development, unlike in the pre timeskip which was really good and interesting and kept going at a good pace.

daikichi was such a good character in the beginning. he was a hero but then he became some nutjob pedophile in the end. i'm sorry. i find the ending really inappropriate.

this manga was a 9 pre timeskip but i lowered it to a 6 just because i did not appreciate the ending. too bad because this manga was sooo promising at the start.
michelle17Oct 10, 2011 12:11 PM
Oct 15, 2011 5:46 AM

Sep 2008
heh, i was still at around chapter 35 or something and knew something like this was coming so i decided to skip directly at the end... boy, am i glad i made that decision,. i just saved a few hours of my time... that was a real weird and awkward ending =|
i wouldn't even bother adding the manga to my list, the anime covered the good parts anyway and that's enough for me ;p
enya's life spent on MAL: September 21, 2008 to August 23, 2012
Oct 16, 2011 2:47 AM
May 2011
I'm actually okay with the time-skip - although I do agree that a lot of material was easily omitted that way.
What I'm not satisfied with is the pacing of the ending + Daikichi's "surrender" (or "resolve", if you prefer...), though I think his quick resolve was directly influenced by the pacing either way.
I can understand why Rin would develop feelings for Daikichi - she never thought of him as a father, and was very adamant about him remaining her guardian. To nevertheless be raised by him, and considering all he's done, it's no wonder she'd look to him as someone who's secure and mature (okay, in most aspects) and admirable in the least. Couple that with the obligation to feel indebted (it's not exactly alluded to, but hey, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what went through her mind), it wouldn't have been that hard for these 'feelings' to develop and increase.
With Daikichi - I'm glad he gave her the two years - in a way, he needed the time to sort out his own feelings, while respecting her need to be exposed to more (guys), I guess? I just don't like how he mentioned in the final chapter that he had already knew this was coming - it's a 'tad' creepy, per se.
Anyway, it all ends with a stubborn, independent Rin, and a giving-in, rushing-head-on-into-things Daikichi, which pretty much reflects both their characters well. I'm happy on the whole. :3
Oct 16, 2011 3:23 PM
Jul 2009
You know what? ... that comment sounds like everyone who is single and adopt a child is because that person is from the start wanting to marry this child in the future if possible... O_o;
I hope you understand how wrong that sounds...
Nov 3, 2011 12:33 PM

Sep 2011
It was an interesting ending. I'll say that much. 8/10
Nov 6, 2011 4:45 PM
Nov 2011
Omg so much rage! Well i really like the ending :D

I was feeling really bad for Daikichi because
the fella got rejected two times by kouki's mom.

(oh btw, it seem like this author wasn't the only one with this idea. That dorm
manager from "Otaku no musume", i think her name was "Taeko" or something also got together with her legal guardian)

http://www.mangareader.net/839-46267-19/otaku-no-musume-san/chapter-42.html
Nov 9, 2011 12:44 PM
Jan 2010
Im not that happy with the ending, like most everyone else. But I would like to point out the difference in culture here is pretty big. If you think about it anyone who read this manga thinking of a father/daughter relationship and innocence is going to be disappointed when they see that her desire to be with Daicachi was not to take of him, which is where the story was clearly headed to at the beginning, to wanting to be a couple. Its one of those things I understand that I don't and won't understand no matter how hard I try. The biggest let down is Daicachi not being a father in the end and saying get out of the house and go to school, get a job, do something with your life cuz im already 40 im gonna die soon! Cant say its the worst ending its just one of the endings that let you down.
Nov 9, 2011 9:35 PM
Nov 2011
I first watched this in anime and because i was really in love of the story about daikichi and kouki's mom and really interested what will happen to them BUT THIS IS ALL I'VE GOT IN THE END?? FVCK the 2nd part is really a mess.. if daikichi is real and would read this manga he would surely say
"WTF??? Me who took care of this girl, wash her ass after she poop, playing with her and you expect me to fuck her when she graduated in high school? THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS!"
I will really want to forget about this story.. I will try to get over it. It's a nightmare. If the author just made the ending more realistic it would be one of the most unforgettable manga that read. Such a shame!

Geez i really registered just to say how disappointed i am.. :(((((((((((
Nov 12, 2011 9:36 AM
Jul 2009
using a culture difference to justify it still sounds so wrong....
like it's ok to live nowdays with cave era culture...
you know society changes, kids now have the right to grow up as kids and be grow up by parents... not your future husband/wife in life to be manipulated as the older one wants... it's... creepy

I think it's ok to respect culture differences, as long as the culture difference still respect people freedom and rights... I don't think that's what happens in a guardian/kid relationship for marriage. As much as you try to mask it in stories like Usagi Bunny or Otaku no Musume-san. It still looks like personal fantasy of some (sick) people, imo
LemyngNov 12, 2011 9:54 AM
Nov 12, 2011 10:42 AM

Sep 2011
It wasn't that bad, it was weird end but interesting.
Joker_CodeSep 19, 2012 3:29 PM
Nov 12, 2011 11:30 AM
Jul 2010
So rin choose daikichi, whats the big F deal?
You people sound like you just now started reading manga/ watching anime.

They always got weird stuff in anime/manga and im not surprised.
If you want something much more realistic read a real book, dont search it in a manga.

The ending is not perfect, i agree, but i take it for what it is.
This is the author point of view and i respect it.

Just get over it or forget about it.
Nov 13, 2011 1:36 PM

Dec 2010
Yeah, i respect the author with all my heart but this is not i was waiting. First half was definitely great and second half was ok but ending was just not pleasant to see.
"I want to bear daikichi's child."
Just think about when you first started this series, anime or manga, you wouldnt accept or think about this ending right?
I can understand she may develope some feelings for him but he accepted her feelings so easily. I wish i didnt read the ending arc.
I have no signature at the moment. Cute Ika-musume avatar should be more than enough~
Nov 18, 2011 3:23 PM

Jul 2010
I haven't read this manga. I watched the anime and I was utterly enchanted. Knowing this was a peaceful manga where really nothing completely dramatic would happen, I decided to read the synopsis of the story. WHAT THE..

I loved this anime so much. I found it so beautiful and pure and so focused on a father-daughter relationship, so wonderful. And then this happens.

Okay, I accept that Rin could develop feelings for Daikichi. There was really no other "mature" man in her life and seeing him she probably felt admiration. Thus, she could develop feelings of "love". Hormonal "love". She's a teenager and things like this happen, but for Daikichi to reciprocate her love?! WHY. That is what I ask.

He was her father from ages 6-18. Seeing their bond I cried almost every episode. Now I'm so glum, why would Daikichi want to even think about marrying the girl he parented? It's so perverted and gross; the first half was amazing and pure. I'm just so angry to see this ending happen.

I wanted Rin to find someone else to love, not Kouki or Daikichi. Kouki, IMO, was more of a brother to Rin. They were best friends, not lovers! UGH. This beautiful series was utterly destroyed.

Daikichi and Rin, a loving parent and daughter duo. They loved each other SO much. They were amazingly close. But not like this. DAIKICHI HAS TO WALK RIN DOWN THE AISLE, NOT BE THE GROOM. It's absolutely positively gross.

SO, some people are all "Who cares, they actually aren't related." And I'm like. OH REALLY. Didn't Daikichi become Rin's father? Didn't he act like her father? Didn't he bring her up lovingly? Who cares if they're not related, they became related. How could he do that to Rin. She was going through a phase in her life. Daikichi is supposed to kindly reject her until she can find her own love.

This series turned into a stupid, perverted, unrealistic high school drama. I loved this so much because it was the most realistic anime I've ever seen. I loved how it reflected the slice-of-life genre perfectly. Now it's as bad as a yuri or a yaoi (Not to put them down. They can certainly be alright sometimes [When they're a side element, like No. 6] but when it's so perverted and it's sappy and it's so messed up it's just horrible.).

One of the best series of the world turned sour. A pure, wonderful story turned perverted. Why, is what I ask. I wanted to see Daikichi walk Rin down the aisle. I wanted to see Daikichi see Rin graduate happily. I wanted to see Rin at Daikichi's grave, weeping but remembering him and smiling. I wanted to see Rin snuggling up to Daikichi. Don't you remember when Daikichi said he would hold Rin however old she was? I was thinking, "Haha, it'll be so funny to see a 25-year-old Rin curled up in Daikichi's lap." Marriage was not what I was thinking. Eww.

This manga failed. It failed. It constructed an amazing story, and then it failed. I'm more disappointed than any other anime or manga EVER. Period.
I will not read this manga. The story ended for me after the anime. I will think up my own beautiful ending, not this crap. THIS IS LIKE A PERVERTED FAN-FICTION.

I think I got my point out. Now I will go and concoct my own ending for this wonderful ANIME. Completely forgetting the manga :)
fishergirl16Nov 18, 2011 3:29 PM
Nov 19, 2011 11:06 AM
Jul 2009
"just a manga"
"it was always like that"
what a poor argument, I'm sorry :)
Following your logic, YOU shouldn't be feeling bothered by people like me who disagree and think what the author did in the end of manga were disrespectful with the readers :)
Nov 22, 2011 7:26 AM
Sep 2011
Chapter 56 was OK. The ending took a good shot at explaining this odd couple's pairing.

Leading up to 56 we have more very severe "choppiness" in the narration, such as happened twice before in the manga.

This problem of choppiness and rushed endings is very common in manga and anime. Why? Well, it helps to remember that ALL ANIME AND MANGA ARE COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS. The publishers of the manga see the readership figures monthly and occasionally have polls about what stories, and even characters in the stories, that the readers like. I've seen the results of such poles referred to by many mangaka, and some have even admitted that they changed characters' personality to sell more mags.

The instances of choppiness in this manga are so obviously bad that I don't think any writer would willingly write them. Instead, I see the hands of greedy editors. The timeslip from Rin's time as a little girl to her teenage period, for example, is obviously meant to get the story into a place where some sexy teenage "love 'n sex" could happen, thus raising readership by broadening the demographic of the audience, Others seem similarly intended.

For a great summary of the timeslips and how much the results sucked, looked many pages back for a post by

m4rc0.
Nov 23, 2011 8:19 PM

Nov 2007
Read through the whole thing today after watching and loving the anime. Sadly, I find myself extremely disappointed. m4rc0's post is excellent and hits it on the head.

Basically everything post-time skip is shit. It skipped all the good parts that I felt the series was about; Daikichi growing with Rin and learning how to be a dad, and so on. What about when she starts getting her period? What about when she gets more beautiful, starts to wear make-up, starts wearing a bra and so on?

Adding to that, the author totally killed Daikichis character. NOTHING fucking happened to him in 10 years? What the hell, man.

It feels like the author just threw away everything pre-skip, and went to do another series. None of the characters feel like the characters before the skip, except Daikichi obviously, and I couldn't relate to a single character at all, except for Kouki at times.

Also the ending make me feel pretty grossed out. Kind of nauseous after reading it, actually. The second part of the story was horribly written, imo.

It's really sad to see a series that started so fantastically, fall so god damned flat. What an enormous waste of potential.
PurjoloekNov 23, 2011 8:24 PM

Nov 27, 2011 2:03 PM

Dec 2010
Alright. I'm going to throw in what I think about all this now that I've finished reading everything and watching the anime.

My verdict on this manga's 2nd half: VERY UNINTERESTINGLY ACCEPTABLE.

Let me explain.

Before the time skip, everyone likes it because it's purely slice-of-life and the story revolves around Daikichi and Rin, and THEM ONLY. The warmest thing that can come from a slice-of-life material is all the little things and experiences of interpersonal relationships between human beings that all of us can relate to. This is what the manga's first half does best. I have no complaints about the first half, only praises. Besides praises, there're still only praises.

However, the second half of the manga took a completely different path down the road. I tell you, I must say I'm quite disappointed, but I'm disappointed not because of the ending, but because of: (1) the time skip itself, and (2) the shift of focus away from Daikichi and Rin. I'll comment on the ending after all this.

For (1) the time skip...
The time skip literally skips a HELL lot of things that could have been excellent, wonderful content for the manga. As what someone in this forum said, lots of little daily experiences during Rin's entire prepubescent, pubescent, preadolescent, and adolescent years can be shown in the manga, and how Daikichi deals with and lives with Rin through all those times. But no, the author chose to skip all those precious moments. This, itself, is a HUGE wrong choice! And a HUGE disappointment!

As for (2) the shift of focus away from the two of them...
The second half of the manga contains too many unnecessary plots that do not revolve around Daikichi and Rin. All the relationship problems Rin's friends have, all the arguments between Rin and Kouki, all the too-often-shown issues about exams and results and stuff, all of these things destroy the peaceful slide-of-life atmosphere that we're so attracted to in the first half of the manga. I'm not saying these things shouldn't be included, but they aren't "handled with care" that they are uninteresting in terms of the first half. It's almost like they're CHANGING the genre of the manga!! To continue the peaceful atmosphere from the first half, we don't need any of those things. If they are to be included, make them more positive, and brief. But what do we get? They're cliche and stereotypical, and the story doesn't have to go that way.

I know, this is fiction. And even though this is fiction, the case where a little girl suddenly appears in a 30-year-old man's life isn't that impossible in real life. However, in real life, lots of factors are involved, and the development of the first half of the story is pretty much idealized. In real life, if such a thing is to happen (a man adopts a little girl out of nowhere), it would probably go much less smooth and enjoyable as things are portrayed. (Lots of other very real things could have happened, but in the manga, they didn't.)

What I'm saying is that... Since the first half of the manga is already pretty idealized, why not make the second half (except the ending) as idealized like the first half too?
Kouki doesn't have to be a problematic teenager and doesn't have to force his way onto Rin.
Akari doesn't have to be a thug. (In fact, her existence could even be omitted. It's not needed.)
Daikichi doesn't have to be so indecisive, and could have been wiser.
All the negativity in the second half is exactly what robs the manga of the peaceful, serene, and warm feelings we have in the first half. In the end, the second half becomes uninteresting and not as warm anymore. Cliche and stereotypical. Think about it, how do Aria and Natsume Yuujinchou maintain the feel-good atmosphere even after something bad happens? What's missing here?

Alright. Now about the ending.
I said that my verdict for this manga's second half is "very uninterestingly acceptable". I've explained why it's "very uninteresting". Now let me explain why it's "acceptable".
The ending, for me, is very much acceptable. The main reason for this is that... THERE'S NOTHING WRONG TO BEGIN WITH!! Look, the society says incest is forbidden. This is correct, with a good reason (among others). The reason is that it's going to be crazy for the child, having a father who is also the grandfather, for example. Deformity might also be a problem, among other things. So yes, for PRACTICAL reasons, incest is prohibited.

But hey, here Daikichi and Rin aren't related by blood. This solves a LOT of problems. A lot of practical problems are solved, so what's the only thing left? The issue that Daikichi raised Rin. THIS, IS, THE issue that most readers cannot agree with. But I don't get it. There's NO problem with this, as long as it's consensual. And it IS consensual. By it being consensual, it means that even if both of them used to see each other as father and daughter, as long as they are willing to change that perspective, who are we to say they're "WRONG"? With exactly what morals can we SUFFICIENTLY justify that it's wrong??

I raised you, so it's wrong that I get married with you? Is this really as wrong as you make it out to be? If it doesn't feel right, it's probably just you. The issue here is not about Daikichi having raised Rin. The issue here is really just the role each of them think each other has been playing. If both of them get married while thinking that the other person is their father/daughter, then it's MORALLY wrong (though practically it isn't). However, the role of a person can change, so are a person's perceptions. (Unless they were related by blood, which cannot be changed.) Once they've been changed, nothing is wrong anymore.
The only inappropriate (but not wrong) thing, though, is that it's bad for their child. Their child would have to lose his/her father pretty early in life. But that's it. Nothing else.

THOUGH...... Having said all this, while I'm saying that it's nothing wrong Daikichi and Rin get married, I really don't prefer such an ending. Because it's far-fetched, from real life's point of view.

Overall, however, even though I think that the ending is acceptable, I must say I'm disappointed with the second half. It's almost like it has completely turned into another type of manga, and that's a pity.

P.S.
So since the second half is a huge disappointment, I'm going to treat it like it never existed, and imagine my own story for it after the first half. With all my heart, I sincerely wish that the anime, if there's ever a second season, do NOT take the path the manga has taken. Please!
Void_SeekerNov 27, 2011 2:44 PM
Dec 3, 2011 3:54 PM
Oct 2008
The anime was a masterpiece and against the popular sentiment, I grade the manga in its entirety the same, albeit several notches below the anime.

The 10-year gap *is* quite a let-down when you've just read the first half and get to the second half looking forward to seeing more of little girl Rin. It is apparent though that the focus of the second half is teenage Rin so in terms of plot, those 10 years aren't really relevant. What was unfortunate was the lack of development in these 10 years. Apart from getting older, the characters didn't change at all.

This is my only complaint. Everything else, I can understand.

That Rin gets attracted with Daikichi is normal. It's an accepted fact that women who's had good childhood relationships with their fathers unconsciously get attracted to men that have the same characteristics as their fathers. Truth be told, however, the extent of Rin's attraction is a tad extreme but ultimately still realistic and actually happens a lot more than people think. But then again, the fact that Rin knows that Daikichi is not his real father (in how she keeps considering her degree of separation with Daikichi) is a plausible explanation of her persistent attraction.

Rin learning that she is not at all related to Daikichi as the catalyst that firmed her resolve is also very believable especially considering her state of mind before. However, I do think the revelation was too abrupt and this is despite the fact that I never really believed Souichi was Rin's real father either.

About Daikichi's reaction to Rin's love, I can see a lot of people find it outrageous. It is entirely possible that I'm reading too far between the lines but my take on it is that Daikichi's disbelief is so strong that he was sure that Rin would change her mind within the two years which is why he made Rin wait and this is even supported by what Daikichi said about how Rin will probably meet new people.

Of course, at the end of the manga, Daikichi has already accepted Rin's love. Rin did say that she would work hard to make Daikichi see her and love her as a woman. Two years is more than enough time to do that especially since Daikichi already loves her and since Rin *is* a woman. It doesn't help that Daikichi wants what will make Rin happy and will always support her decisions which in this case also coincides with how he wants to always be with Rin anyway.

As a whole, Daikichi and Rin's situation is extraordinary but very much believable. On Usagi Drop, I think the emphasis is not really on the end but on the means which, in it's very essence, is pure love. Not sure where the people who insist that the ending is perverted are coming from. Daikuchi's transition from doting guardian to a loving partner is an awkward situation to look at from the outside looking in but the underlying motivations and reasons are innocent and pure, especially when viewed from Rin's eyes. I think it might stem from the belief that in all situations bar none, teens are too immature to know true love and that those that are senior are all, without exemption, simply taking advantage. To that, I respectfully disagree from wisdom gained through experience similar to Rin's (in loving someone older).

A perfect 10/10 for me.
Dec 27, 2011 4:33 PM

Jun 2007
The ending was not exactly what I was expecting but it became clear that that was kind of where the author was going after I read 10 or so chapters after the first time skip. I don't like how it ended mainly because, like most of you, I was hoping for Rin and Kouki to go out and Kouki's mom and Daikichi to get married. After thinking about it a lot though, that would have probably been just as complicated as what Rin and Daikichi are currently facing. If Daikichi and Kouki's mom got married then Rin and Kouki would be brother and sister. If they where dating then their friends and new classmates might start thinking negative things about them and talking behind their backs. So either way the story would have ended with conflicting feelings by the readers.

I'm not sure why so many people think the ending was pulled out of the authors ass. A lot of the "random" content was actually already touched on in previous chapters. For example Daikichi's grandfather not being Rin's father. The whole first part of the series (before the time skip) was about the uncertainty of the grandfather and Rin's relationship and Daikichi trying to figure out if Rin was really his daughter. If you go read the old threads pretty much all of us didn't think Daikichi's grandfather was Rin's father. Somewhere along the way Daikichi gave up trying to find out and we all just go with the flow assuming Daikichi's Grandfather is Rin's father.

As for the whole "How can Rin love her Father figure??". I think she made it pretty clear in the first arc that she didn't see Daikichi as a father figure. "Daikichi is Daikichi". In fact there was a chapter dedicated to that. Sure his feelings where clearly that of a father though. He raised her as if she was his own. He was with her through her awkward young years where she'd wet her bed all the way up to now, her being a young adult. Anyone in his position would see her as a daughter. But the fact that Rin hasn't looked at Daikichi as a father since the start makes it crystal clear that she was uncertain about what Daikichi really was to her. Was he a father or was he someone she could spend the rest of her life with?

Ok I admit the part where Kouki's mom rejects Daikichi twice and then gets married WAS random. I think Kouki's mom was anticipating Kouki and Rin hooking up and didn't want to make a marriage between her and Daikichi make it weird for them. That and, I know this sounds bad, she was looking for someone to support her son financially through college. Daikichi clearly wouldn't be able to support two kids and I'm pretty sure Kouki's mom would have problems as well. Who would pay for the house bills and food if both paid for their kids to go to college?

I do agree with what people are saying about skipping over important things in Rin's life. Like her first period (How did Daikichi deal with it? What was his reaction?), Rin's first day in High school...etc...etc. It would have been nice to see how Daikichi handled those types of things. Not to mention it would have given readers a tad more anger when the two hook up in the end lol.

Everything else was pretty normal and expected. While the ending was bad I don't think it was out of the realm of possibility from the start. Like I said at the beginning though, I was really hoping for a different ending.
Dec 28, 2011 3:19 AM

Jun 2010
That was really...the most disappointing end it could have have.

Af all the possible endings this is really the worst... :(

A real shame

It's like adopting and raising a kid in real life... and than fucking it when it comes to age. And Daikichi doesn't even seem to share the same feelings for Rin... This sucks she should have been together with freaking Kouki!

Jan 3, 2012 3:30 AM
Aug 2011
Hate the ending of the story... Oedipus complex or smth like that... horrible anyway... Noone'd be able to f**k the girl who he raised up with the great attention. hooorrrriiiblleeeee fuuuu....
I hoped she goes out with kouki during 2 years...
it's stupid....
however, waiting for extra chpters that mangaka promised -_-
Jan 12, 2012 3:47 AM

Sep 2011
It's not that I'm disappointed with the ending but there are better ending to choose from..

i'd rather go to kouki x rin..
Jan 16, 2012 8:29 AM
Dec 2008
I WISH I NEVER READ THE ENDING ==;;
Jan 17, 2012 1:37 AM
Aug 2011
Cordelia said:
I WISH I NEVER READ THE ENDING ==;;

haha((( me too
Jan 22, 2012 2:09 PM

Mar 2009
Both CanHazCake's and DeathfireD's opinions made the most sense on this whole thread. It's far etched, but nowhere near impossible. I can't bother going through the details. The ending was OK but there would have been many different and better options for the end. As an anime it gets 10/10 from me, but the manga gets avg. of 7 or 8/10. I for one enjoyed it a lot despite it's flaws.

But anyway; where the hell is the extra chapter? It's been about half a year since the release of the latest chapter ¯\(ò_ó)/¯
Feb 1, 2012 1:09 AM

Jan 2010
I'm satisfied with the ending. I don't think i would have liked it if Daikichi married Kouki's mom. It's weird that I couldn't explain, but I have been feeling this was the way it would go. The father-daughter relationship, that was only in Daikichi's view ever since the beginning. Even Rin said so before that he's not his father; Daikichi is Daikichi .

*//7//*
Feb 2, 2012 2:44 AM
Aug 2011
I held off on the manga since I loved the show so much and everyone said it was ruined by the time skip. Honestly while I feel it made some odd turns I am not upset or disappointed. It's a bit odd that he raised a kid who he is now with. Though love is odd, and it comes in many forms, who is to say their love is wrong? I guess anyone can make that judgement but in the end they are happy so that's all that matters.
Feb 3, 2012 5:53 PM
Nov 2009
NOT gonna lie. The first half it was a cute, sweet story about a man adopting a parent-less child.
To me, if it would have continued that way, I would consider this as a really good manga but- the way it ended, I just don't know what to think.

Would have been better if Daikichi just rejected her deep "feelings" for him because he raised her as a daughter and not as a wife. I mean 10 years raising a child just to marry her and have kids I mean I dont even...

Still happy I read it though. Thanks to the people who spoiled this ending in the anime discussion.

Overall I really wish that they wouldn't get together like that in the extra's that will come out. It's still like the author just forgot the fact that they have been living together as a father and daughter for over 10 years and suddenly because of puberty she has these weird feelings for Daikichi. Though it is understandable that she would love him in a way that she will want to take care of him when he gets older but to love him in a more intimate way is rather more weird than dusturbing or rather both actually. Still liked the way the author ended things because it didn't end as awkward as I thought it would be. Still awkward nonetheless and was a bit hard to read.

To some it up, the first half was cute, heartwarming etc; 9/10.
Second half; Story progression from the first half with more awkwardness and weirdness and with a hard to accept twist; 5/10.
As whole I gave it 7/10. Still can't help the fact that it would have been better if it would have sticked to the first half story-like of the manga but meh.
Feb 5, 2012 12:37 AM
Oct 2008
Love work in mysterious ways
The ending was alright
Mar 13, 2012 10:18 AM

Jan 2012
Spolier alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gonna discuss the ending of Bunny Drop

Ok now the warning is out of the way im pretty mad/ confused on the ending to bunny drop. Daikachi and Rin as a couple.........what????? The reason im confused and maybe this is just my american perspective but i dont know if that is allowed lol. Is Japan more open to those types of relationships? Also kinda mad cuz i war rootin for Koyuki lol. So what did you guys think?
Mar 14, 2012 8:01 PM
Oct 2007
WHY!?

WHY DEVELOP PARENTHOOD FOR LIKE 50 CHS AND RUIN IT ?!?

WHY!
Apr 2, 2012 3:55 PM
Jul 2011
the last volume ruined the manga for me, and the characters pretty much break down here as well. WORTHLESS ENDING!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 9, 2012 11:33 PM
Apr 2012
SGI3 said:
Alot of people don't seem to understand the difference between facts and opinions, so first i'd like to make clear these are my opinions.

Im completely disgusted with the ending.

I loved the first half, it was so sweet and innocent.For me it was like reading yotsubato, except it had progression and showed the trials and trbulations of raising a child as a single parent.

Now, imagine in yotsubato there was a time skip and then seemingly out of nowhere yotsuba hooks up with her dad - thats what this ending feels like for me.

As much as I hate to be one of those people, this manga really trainwrecked.
i agree with what u post
Apr 10, 2012 2:29 AM
Apr 2012
actually I kinda liked the ending! =D It is kinda expected that Rin and Daikichi would be like that I mean It's pretty obvious, Kouki's mom gets remarried to sumone else so like yeah ahaha XD
Apr 15, 2012 8:50 PM
Apr 2012
This has probably already been said before but I will say it again. I was really hoping for Daikichi to be with the mom and for Rin to just be his daughter. Ever since it happened I can't read the first part of the manga without thinking what he will do with her in the future. Oh, well.
May 28, 2012 1:26 AM
Dec 2010
I'm disappoint only that I cant see Rin raising her child. other than that is ok,I guess.

maybe the extra episode on vol.10 can give you the details about what's going on in those time skip, like how Kouki got that scar on his forehead.

and for those who say this manga ending is the worst, I suggest you guys to read "Me~teru no Kimochi " by Hiroya Oku.
Jun 12, 2012 10:03 AM
Mar 2010
I liked the ending... I got the feeling that the relationship between Rin x Daikichi was weird ever since the beginning. I mean he treated as her daughter but even then, he was so chill about it that it could be viewed more as a friendship as Rin started growing older. Rin also NEVER viewed Daikichi as her father, so it was entirely sensible that she could develop feelings for him. Also for those who keep mentioning incest, its NOT incest, because they are not related, and it was NOT AN UNPRECEDENTED PLOT TWIST that Gramps was not the father because if you guys have ANY brains at all you should have second thoughts about an 80 year old man knocking up a 20-ish year old woman and conceiving a child.
Rin rejecting Kouki was perfect for me. I would have hated the two of them to be together... I mean they are literally polar opposites and work much greater as close friends/siblings who help each other out than a romantic couple with little in common.
I will admit that the manga was really rushed towards the end especially with Kouki's mom remarrying suddenly and Daikichi sorting everything out within a few chapters. The author should have given Daikichi more time to sort out his feelings if anything. However, I was really happy that the ending showed how Rin attempts to repay Daikichi for his kindness by staying with him till the end.
For those people whining about how the ending was rushed or whatever, the only big problem I see is that Daikichi gave in too quickly but otherwise everything made complete sense.
Jun 27, 2012 4:04 PM

Oct 2011
Totally disappointed with the manga ,everything seemed too rushed and not to mention the retarded ending.
Anyways gave the anime 10/10 but the manga got only 5/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2012 5:06 PM

Jan 2012
BoredomArrives said:
I liked the ending... I got the feeling that the relationship between Rin x Daikichi was weird ever since the beginning. I mean he treated as her daughter but even then, he was so chill about it that it could be viewed more as a friendship as Rin started growing older. Rin also NEVER viewed Daikichi as her father, so it was entirely sensible that she could develop feelings for him. Also for those who keep mentioning incest, its NOT incest, because they are not related, and it was NOT AN UNPRECEDENTED PLOT TWIST that Gramps was not the father because if you guys have ANY brains at all you should have second thoughts about an 80 year old man knocking up a 20-ish year old woman and conceiving a child.
Rin rejecting Kouki was perfect for me. I would have hated the two of them to be together... I mean they are literally polar opposites and work much greater as close friends/siblings who help each other out than a romantic couple with little in common.
I will admit that the manga was really rushed towards the end especially with Kouki's mom remarrying suddenly and Daikichi sorting everything out within a few chapters. The author should have given Daikichi more time to sort out his feelings if anything. However, I was really happy that the ending showed how Rin attempts to repay Daikichi for his kindness by staying with him till the end.
For those people whining about how the ending was rushed or whatever, the only big problem I see is that Daikichi gave in too quickly but otherwise everything made complete sense.

I agree. This whole discussion seems to be along the lines of "I hate to hate". I mean honestly the ending isn't bad. The only thing that was ever weird for me is that Daichiki should've at least been made twenty years old, so that way he's not THAT old by that time all of this happens. Other than that i loved the ending, and i feel it completed the story. Also, i absolutely couldn't stand Kouki......So if Rin ended up with him then i would just dislike the series very much. Kouki's mom was ok but again each scene with either of them was a little annoying to watch.
Jul 31, 2012 5:00 PM

Aug 2011
Well, i thought that it wasn't THAT bad,just a little bitter?I have no problem with daikichi being with rin ,just that it kinda ruins the "pureness" of the thing.
Overall,i like the manga.But since i first discovered this series by anime,i thought it would be better for my own sake,to just say that usagi drop ended at chapter 24 or episode 11 and the rest is like an alternate universe XD
I would of have preferred to have a everyone is happy kind of ending and was kinda hoping for it (not that this ending was not happy just different). Like Kouki ending with rin then Daikichi with Kouki's mom. That is all (=^ω^=)
I'm just an ordinary Anime loving Cheese Goo.So feel free to ask any question about cheese XD.Or if you want i could give you a little scoop of my cheesy body ,just PM me LOL,I'll really give you cheese.REALLY

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» When does it get trash?

AshTheChamp - Mar 22

4 by blinddig »»
Apr 8, 4:09 AM

» why hate usagi drop manga's end? ( 1 2 3 )

liveanime - Jan 15, 2016

134 by kmd3134 »»
Jan 25, 1:51 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 62 Discussion

Dr_Funkadelic - Feb 27, 2013

44 by BigBlueBash »»
Nov 12, 2023 6:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 61 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 28, 2013

1 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 60 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 14, 2013

4 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.