Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 4, 2011 8:24 PM

Oct 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically since they are all freelance detectives they don't truly qualify as NEETs do they?
Jul 4, 2011 8:28 PM

Dec 2010
They're not officially employed, except the MC who takes up a part-time job.
Jul 4, 2011 8:43 PM

Jan 2010
alice is freeter
Jul 5, 2011 2:41 PM

Oct 2010
notsureifsrs said:

I don't believe that the term NEET requires you to be "officially" employed, if you were self employed or employed by/volunteering for someone else (IE Alice), you still wouldn't be an actual NEET.
Jul 5, 2011 2:57 PM

Jan 2011
Haters always be hatin' :troll.jpg:
Everything needs more fanservice. Especially real life.
Jul 5, 2011 3:03 PM

Jan 2009
I was thinking the same thing while watching this...how are they NEETs when they are actually working?
Jul 5, 2011 3:21 PM

Feb 2010
yeah its stupid.
Jul 5, 2011 10:05 PM

May 2009
I say, "Yes, she's partially NEET," but that's just me. *Shrug*
Jul 6, 2011 1:16 AM
Nov 2009
Alice is also awfully fashionable for a NEET. That whole elaborate goth loli outfit she put on before going out was just a bit more elaborate than what I'd expect from a shut-in. For most shut-ins I know it's usually jeans and a t-shirt. :P
Jul 6, 2011 2:20 AM
Jul 2008
They aren't really working as detectives. It's kinda like a hobby, just something they do.
If you had a NEET writing reviews for MAL, would you say he's working as a reviewer?
Jul 6, 2011 5:57 AM

Oct 2009
Nachotee said:
They aren't really working as detectives. It's kinda like a hobby, just something they do.
If you had a NEET writing reviews for MAL, would you say he's working as a reviewer?

This comment owned!
BADGES
Jul 6, 2011 7:24 AM

Apr 2010
Also, the everyday usage of the word "Niito" is different from the official employment status of NEET.

The only wtf in concept was
Jul 6, 2011 12:16 PM

May 2009
just to be sure, NEET mentioned in this anime is the same as what I know it to be in the UK, that is 'not in education, employment or training'?
Jul 9, 2011 1:01 AM

Jun 2008
well for one thing, i would assume what you need to have to not be considered a NEET is a stable job... and with the kind of work she has (which needs to be clarified more later), I would count her as a NEET.
"I only have two modes... At war with something, or having sex with it! There is no middle ground." -Colbert

Jul 9, 2011 6:27 AM
Jan 2010
She isn't a hikki either because she wandered out of her room in the very first episode.
Jul 9, 2011 7:25 AM
Oct 2007
We don't know that they actually get paid for their detective work. She could be doing it for free. But who is paying her electricity, foot, and internet bill?
Jul 9, 2011 7:28 AM
Jun 2008
zeroryoko1974 said:
We don't know that they actually get paid for their detective work. She could be doing it for free. But who is paying her electricity, foot, and internet bill?
maybe the guy who fixed his teddy bear
Jul 9, 2011 12:06 PM

Nov 2010
she definitely get paid for that that must be her income sorce.. I think by neet they meant that she is not employed...
But all of it is stupid as long as they are in high school range...
Jul 9, 2011 3:33 PM

Jun 2007
A NEET, to my understanding, is a shut in. Someone who stays home 90% of the time, doesn't work (pay or no pay), doesn't interact with people other than by computer or texting, avoids physically social activity's like meeting up with friends to hang out. This has been it's meaning for as long as I can remember but with each generation it seems to change a little here and there. Same with the term Otaku. It used to be just associated with people that obsessed over any particular hobby but now it's tossed at anyone who has seen a few anime series or read a manga lol.
Jul 9, 2011 3:33 PM

Dec 2010
DeathfireD said:
A NEET, to my understanding, is a shut in. Someone who stays home 90% of the time, doesn't work (pay or no pay), doesn't interact with people other than by computer or texting, avoids physically social activity's like meeting up with friends to hang out. This has been it's meaning for as long as I can remember but with each generation it seems to change a little here and there. Same with the term Otaku. It used to be just associated with people that obsessed over any particular hobby but now it's tossed at anyone who has seen a few anime series or read a manga lol.

That's a hikkikomori.
Jul 10, 2011 3:15 AM
Jan 2010
NEET is an acronym for people Not in Education, Employment or Training. Don't be retarded and only look at the idealized uguus in anime.
Jul 11, 2011 4:39 PM

Feb 2011
RyuRetro said:
Nachotee said:

This comment owned!

Nice, I second that!
Jul 11, 2011 11:13 PM

Jul 2010
If you recall, the characters in Eden of the East who create the Eden web-site are all "NEETs", yet they create and run a web-site used by a large percentage of Japan's young people. I believe that people who are self-employed in jobs that are non-standard are still considered NEETs.
Jul 16, 2011 9:52 AM

May 2008
Nachotee said:

If the NEET was getting paid by MAL to write those reviews I wouldnt consider him to be a NEET. So the thing with Alice is we dont know whether she is getting paid or not.

zensunni said:
If you recall, the characters in Eden of the East who create the Eden web-site are all "NEETs", yet they create and run a web-site used by a large percentage of Japan's young people. I believe that people who are self-employed in jobs that are non-standard are still considered NEETs.

Thats not really true bc I do not think anyone would think Mark Zuckerberg (facebook) is a NEET nor any other site creator who is earning money from it. Anyways I just watched the first episode and was wondering about whether the creator got it wrong or was I missing something.
Jul 16, 2011 11:49 AM

Jan 2008
I doubt that the girl in the first episode payed them, so...
Jul 16, 2011 12:01 PM
Dec 2009
hikaricore said:
notsureifsrs said:

I don't believe that the term NEET requires you to be "officially" employed, if you were self employed or employed by/volunteering for someone else (IE Alice), you still wouldn't be an actual NEET.

they are however not "employed" in any sense. (except the main character, and perhaps the womanizer, i suspect he's a gigolo) They do not receive payment as far as we know for their work. This is for Alice a hobby or pass time. Thus as far as the definition of NEET is concerned, they are NEETs.

just as in some cases there are NEETs which paint, or are involved in other activities which could be considered employment. however they do not profit from these activities monetarily nor educationally, thus they are still unemployed. They are neither (employed as) artists nor craftsmen. Not counting of course donations of sorts.

as noted before the NEETs in Eden of the East run a major website, however they might only recieve minor donations from users and such to stay active and support themselves. Zuckerberg is not a NEET because he is obviously making huge profits out of it via advertizing.

As someone else has mentioned a NEET is not the same as a hikikomori. a NEET is simply No Employment Education or Training. They are not shut ins, simply bums. a NEET can go outside and socialize all the time, if such is the case they can be fashionable as well if their financial situation allows. Alice might perhaps be within schooling age and is probably enrolled somewhere, however if she does not attend class she is still not receiving education.
Bringerof_DJul 16, 2011 12:20 PM
Jul 16, 2011 3:02 PM

Jan 2009
How can you say they are neets? I'm pretty sure if you have a client and do a job for them freelance or not. A job is a job, That like calling Gintoki a neet his clients never pay him but he does jobs for them. .
Jul 16, 2011 3:15 PM
Jul 2011
I agree with it being a non traditional form of employment, it's typically a term with negative connotation because it suggests that the "NEET" is unable or unwilling to "grow up and settle down" as expected by society and instead live an alternative lifestyle that stereo-typically considered as 'bumming'.
Ergo, the one that IS in university, but only to satisfy his desire for military fandom.
Or the Playboy, who bums off of the wealthier ladies he seduces.

Often NEETS are Hikikomori, but not all the time.
Jul 16, 2011 4:39 PM
Apr 2010
IMO they're NEETs

How can someone without a job has the fridge full? plus if NEET's are mostly Otaku's and Hikikomori how do they manage buying stuff? I mean they have mangas,anime,food,etc?

Jul 16, 2011 5:56 PM

Feb 2010
animegirlfreak said:
IMO they're NEETs

How can someone without a job has the fridge full? plus if NEET's are mostly Otaku's and Hikikomori how do they manage buying stuff? I mean they have mangas,anime,food,etc?

....wat?

search for the definition of NEET before talking.
Jul 16, 2011 6:00 PM

Apr 2010
They aren't NEETs. Even if you say they aren't doing a job, they are still training to be detectives.

animegirlfreak said:
IMO they're NEETs

Welfare/disability checks/parents

Jul 16, 2011 6:40 PM

Jun 2008
visualanimes said:
just to be sure, NEET mentioned in this anime is the same as what I know it to be in the UK, that is 'not in education, employment or training'?

Yeahh just in anime they tend to be grouped with hikkikomori. This anime in particular seems to consider them almost the same thing...
(I actually learned what NEET means through anime, so then when I saw it used on a pamphlet in a Connexions office I lol'd hard. XD)
Jul 16, 2011 6:47 PM

Apr 2010
Neet would also cover things like organized crime if this girl and her friends are neets, wouldn't it?

Jul 17, 2011 4:40 AM
Mar 2011
The acronym NEET stands for Not Education, Employment, Training. The implication is, someone whos an upstanding contributor to society. Basically to the japanese, it's your WORTH to society, now whether or not your getting paid. Like hosts and jiggolo are neetish.

Hikkomori means recluse. It means you're walled off from society. So yes. Alice can be considered hikkomori. But she also has a social network so.... She can also be considered a neet. Her friends are neets too. Gintoki and most "Yorozuya" are neets. Yes yakuza are neets too. But i dare you to call a real life yakuza that. Neet is just slang for someone who give us a feeling of not being a part of the social system (education -> training -> training). How you use it varies. You could be a leech, or you just be abnormal.
taj69Jul 17, 2011 4:46 AM
Jul 23, 2011 5:25 AM

Sep 2009
All in all I'm pretty sure that calling someone "NEET detective" is oxymoron. Since NEET is not employed and detective is without doubt a valid profession.
Jul 24, 2011 3:46 PM
Dec 2007
IDex said:
All in all I'm pretty sure that calling someone "NEET detective" is oxymoron. Since NEET is not employed and detective is without doubt a valid profession.
You say it as if the anime itself considered the title normal. Obviously that title only makes sense to Alice.

Jul 25, 2011 8:47 AM

Jun 2007
NEET is a government acronym to classify a group that's contributing to the economy's growth. If you aren't officially paid and paying taxes and not in education or training to do so then you are a NEET. Alice doesn't ask for payment for what she does and what payment she receives would be considered illegal because she doesn't pay taxes.

What Alice does is best described as a hobby. A hobby is not one's job because there's no obligation to work or guarantee to be paid. It doesn't matter if you think she isn't a NEET because she's officially is by the government's classification.
Jul 25, 2011 11:20 AM
Dec 2007
MarthX said:
NEET is a government acronym to classify a group that's contributing to the economy's growth. If you aren't officially paid and paying taxes and not in education or training to do so then you are a NEET. Alice doesn't ask for payment for what she does and what payment she receives would be considered illegal because she doesn't pay taxes.

What Alice does is best described as a hobby. A hobby is not one's job because there's no obligation to work or guarantee to be paid. It doesn't matter if you think she isn't a NEET because she's officially is by the government's classification.
And even unofficially they're just doing it for the hell of it. I'm positive all the crap Alice has is paid by a third party anyway since I doubt "paying" cases come by every day. Also, you need to go through official education/training AND pass a test to officially be a detective. Alice is calling herself one, but the claim is false and she could be in hot water if she was caught snooping around (and if this wasn't an anime).

As for the others, 1 is officially a NEET (the school dropout) while the other is officially studying and the last one is def a gigolo so yeah unofficially a real job. So you could say that group only has two real NEET's.

I might add the Gintama comparison was beyond pointless. Not only does the Yorozuya have a valid business but they depend on it to pay the bills. It just happens that the jobs they do in the episodes are done on Gin's whim. It wouldn't be a comedy if all Gin did was simple jobs like exterminating rats or help fix a fence every episode.
Leon-GunJul 25, 2011 11:25 AM

Sep 2, 2011 12:09 AM
Aug 2011
For some of the people in the Anime they said they're NEET like Tetsu(A dropped High School guy) and also Hiro (Gigolo )

but well for Alice what I think about it is that maybe "NEET Detective" is some kind of Title to her cause everytime and for the first time she introduced her self

"I am the NEET detective , The Speaker of Dead"

That's what she said
Sep 5, 2011 12:05 PM

Nov 2008
I don't like the way she claims herself as a NEET detective... a detective is a detective,what's the point of adding a NEET infront of it.

I am a Salaryman Detective.
I am a Martial art Detective.
I am a Dentist Detective.
I am a Otaku Detective.
I am a hikikomori Detective.
I am a Celebrity Detective.
I am a Musician Detective.
I am a CEO Detective.
I am a SuperHero Detective.
I am a Spartan Detective.
I am a Inception Detective.
I am a Yakuza Detective.
I am a Sadist Detective.
I am a 1LDK Detective.
I am a Pirate Detective.
I am a Ninja Detective.
I am a Shinigami Detective.
I am a Zombie Detective.
I am a Vampire Detective.
I am a Troll Detective.
I am a Lunatic Detective.
I am Dropping this anime.
JiakBaKaEngSep 5, 2011 12:13 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kamisama no Memochou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2011

73 by Selleri_UmU »»
Apr 3, 9:22 PM

» Alice, I cant understand her.

Playcool - Jun 5, 2016

3 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 4, 2023 7:13 PM

» When they make season 2 of Kamisama no Memochou

Sugram22 - Aug 30, 2013

20 by GearheadOtaku »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:03 PM

Poll: » Kamisama no Memochou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

212 by GearheadOtaku »»
Oct 12, 2023 6:37 PM

Poll: » Kamisama no Memochou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Jul 2, 2011

306 by GearheadOtaku »»
Oct 11, 2023 9:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.