Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 17, 2011 2:06 AM

May 2011
Sith_Vicious said:

Well, except that Jinta's mum died after Menma.

What episode did we learn this? I can't remember U:
Jun 17, 2011 2:19 AM

Dec 2009
Ora-Serphanta said:
Sith_Vicious said:

Well, except that Jinta's mum died after Menma.

What episode did we learn this? I can't remember U:

In first episode, we see Jintan running away after Anaru asked him if he loved Menma. This is the day Menma dies, and when he gets home, Jintan's dad tells him that he is going to visit his mother (at the hospital).

Thanks for the fading hands thing, that's interesting theory
Sith_ViciousJun 17, 2011 2:33 AM
Jun 17, 2011 2:31 AM

Jul 2009
This series is really pushing my buttons. T_T

Menma's wish is definitely something related to Jintan's mother...
Jun 17, 2011 2:34 AM

Jun 2008
It seems to me that Menma realized what it would take for her to move on a couple episodes ago when she started having flashbacks of Jintan's mother. Her wish appears to be an unfulfilled promise to Jintan's mother and not about something she wanted for herself like the firework - although she enjoyed seeing her friends work together.

Tsurumi mentioned that she remembers why Menma gathered them all at the secret hideout the day she died and that it had something to do with doing something for Jintan. Atsumu seems to vaguely remember it too, but he has so much resentment towards Jintan that he's not willing to address it. I think Tsurumi has the best idea of why Menma is hanging around Jintan. It's something that Menma could do for Jintan when she was younger, that her mother couldn't do because she was in the hospital, and something she needed her friend's help to do - maybe throw a birthday party for Jintan? Something like that?
Jun 17, 2011 2:38 AM

Jul 2009
Am I the only one who noticed the art and animation style completely changed???

Am I seeing things???
Jun 17, 2011 2:43 AM
Jun 2011
this anime is really heart killing , warming,crying ,,,etc ;_;
i was in tears the whole time ~! so many strong emotions,! the girsl feelings , Jintan feelings ,,i know he is selfsih but i cant really blame him ,he only wants her to stay with him,, i dont really know what to feel about his wish ,,*sad sigh*,,
as for menma~ i'm sure jintan mom has something to do with her wish !!

why is this anime is so short !? T___T
Jun 17, 2011 4:34 AM
Sep 2010
Ora-Serphanta said:
Menma's wish (aka. the firework) is the "Mac Guffin" of the story.
I think it's Yadomi's mother's wish that Menma wants to fulfill: to help Yadomi move on.
It just happened that Menma died and now has to help everyone else to move on.
Menma was sent back to earth to do that as her "mission."

The firework was just there to represent Menma passing over to the next life.

I'm guessing that Menma, whose hand was already translucent, was actually
about to go to heaven already as most of the characters (//kicks Yadomi)
have already accepted her death. If Yadomi would have let go of his fear,
I'm pretty sure Menma would have gone to heaven.

I'm so sad that this series will be ending soon but it'd be one of the rare series
that I personally would love to see end (depending to the ending that is xD )

[edit]
Yadomi used to lead his friends as kids but look now who's leading him:

I agree with everything in this post

Menma called them all to the secret base that day, to do something for Yadomi (I wouldn't even be surprised if it was something stupidly simple like reaffirm their friendships and the Super Peace Busters) after his mom died

Instead, she died, which had the entirely opposite effect

Menma even said it a couple of episodes ago. "The Super Peace Busters are friends forever." I bet THAT's the wish.
Jun 17, 2011 4:38 AM

Sep 2009
Haha, Poppo was starting to freak me out a little bit.
Jun 17, 2011 4:39 AM

Aug 2009
I'm disappointed. Menma didn't disappear and Jintan is selfish. I hope the ending doesn't disappoint me because this has been a great show. Menma please go to heaven in the finale so everyone can move on.
Jun 17, 2011 4:44 AM

Oct 2010
im so curious what happens next :3 , great show so far, hope ending will be great too
Jun 17, 2011 4:44 AM
Jul 2018
The reincarnation was game over for Menma x Jinta ending because now he knows she WANTS to go to heaven even though she loves him she wants to see/talk with everybody else. They're gonna have a bittersweet ending like "we love each other but we can't be together". She will probably come back as Jinta's daughter in the timeskip.

Also, that cute talk between Anaru and Tsuruko was great. They were friends again like in the past and that scene when Anaru says Jinta is irreplaceable, Tsuruko agrees and look away because she was thinking about Yukiatsu. The hair thing was symbolic. First we see Yukiatsu sniffing a wig with long hair and next Tsurumi had a haircut. It shows she was tired of trying to look like Menma and now she wants him to look at her the way she really is.

When Tsurumi arrives Yukiatsu and Poppo are the ones who look at her but it was Yukiatsu who "notices" it.
I think we're gonna have a happy ending next week and I hope so because both Anaru and Tsurumi deserve it.
Jun 17, 2011 5:00 AM
Nov 2010
I cried exactly when the ED started playing. Never thought it gave that much of an effect.
Jun 17, 2011 5:04 AM
Sep 2010
some other things:

yukiatsu is FUCKING CRAZY. sure we saw it all many episodes ago but he is FUCKING INSANE CRAZY. but i lol'd when he thought "i won't let you stop this" while carrying the fireworks

tsuroko is pretty tragic, but she's just as cowardly as yukiatsu, which is ironic after she whiplashed him with her viper tongue. whats with all the projecting these characters do?

cultist poppo was pretty terrifying. honestly i wouldnt be surprised if poppo has secretly had a crush on jintan since they were kids, and is all messed up because he blames menma for jintan becoming a NEET. he just wants jintan to admit his love so poppo can be freed from his 10 year man crush.

jintan is straight baller and would be down with marrying a ghost chick. that was straight swag, and if you didn't feel bad for him, or any sympathy at all you may be a sociopath. he seems to be copping a lot of hate for being creepy, but i don't really see whats creepy about it. menma is real to him, and is obviously really there, whats wrong if he just wants to marry her in ghost form?

anaru is still a gullible little hussy
Jun 17, 2011 5:16 AM

Jun 2009
Dat damn end of episode. I even forgot how pissed i am at Tsuruko for loving Yukiatsu.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jun 17, 2011 5:26 AM

Jun 2008
c-lick said:

EPICCCCCCCC~~~

Anyway...
everyone seemed so serious in the preview. We might have a chance of Menma staying and doesnt go to heaven. By now, unfortunately its clear that Anaru does not have a chance with Jintan.
Now Im rooting for Tsuruko x Yukiatsu at the end~~~~

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jun 17, 2011 5:31 AM

Oct 2010
zorapup said:
Sith_Vicious said:

What I still do not get in the episode is the 2 shots on Menma's hands (At the very beginning when she's praying for Jinta's mom and after the hospital flashback) , there is something weird with her right hand, but can't tell why. Like a scare, as she had been burn or something. I fear she hang on to something for a long time before she drawned.

Actually yea I could tell something was on her hands. Even when she was on the bridge in a happy mood after Jinta confessed there was a shot of her hands when she turned back to look at him. Then talked about reincarnation.

*edit* beaten by wasabi and gracenote...
I wonder too while looking at it carefully in the spoiler
it looks like some petals from a flower? The fading may be a foreshadow, that's possible but can it be a imprint of the flower so as to give out a clue to herself?

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jun 17, 2011 6:03 AM

Nov 2009
I got trolled. I cried for that last scene and she was still there afterwards....

WTF MY TEARS HAVE BEEN WASTED!

Oh, and awesome episode as usual >.>
Jun 17, 2011 6:14 AM

Nov 2010
Awesome episode, once again ^^ I knew that the fireworks weren't her wish.
Next episode is the last one... This series really needs more episodes...
Jun 17, 2011 6:34 AM
Jun 2011
There's only ~20 minutes left hopefully they don't rush it.

-> Some event will Jintan make finally realize he has to let Menma go (and so she can go)
-> Before Menma disappears everyone can see her and says goodbye
-> When she's gone everybody feels sad but also relieved
-> Jintan finally realizes his feelings towards Anjou (his obsession to Menma suppressed these feelings) <- please let Anjou be happy, she cried the most of the time in the anime
-> Yukiatsu and Tsurumi will also somehow end up together
-> Poppo is Poppo

And the moral of this Anime: Don't be obsessed with things/events in the past, you can't change the past but the future.
It's hard and painful but that's the only way you can become happy again.

There might be a (tiny) chance that Menma stays, but I don'T think so tbh.

I mean everything is set up for this.

Normally I only watch Comedy Anime, but somehow I ended up watching this and I'm somewhat shocked for how sentimental I get lol.
Jun 17, 2011 6:42 AM

May 2008
I almost teared when i saw Jinta say wait when its too late but oh well its all good cause yea love only screws people anyway :D

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 17, 2011 6:51 AM

Oct 2010
Crax said:
-> Jintan finally realizes his feelings towards Anjou (his obsession to Menma suppressed these feelings) <- please let Anjou be happy, she cried the most of the time in the anime
^THIS! Yes please dear God, Anjou deserves it and she clearly told Tsuruki about her intentions towards Yukiatsu. God, Anjou and everyone teared me up this episode, 10 times is just insane.
Crax said:
-> Yukiatsu and Tsurumi will also somehow end up together
Yes, please do so. That would be wonderful!Beautiful!
Crax said:
And the moral of this Anime: Don't be obsessed with things/events in the past, you can't change the past but the future.

It's hard and painful but that's the only way you can become happy again.
Unfortunately yes and no. Depends on the situation, if you have a dead wife it's hard to choose of either to move on and get another or just wait till your death to be with your wife.

Jun 17, 2011 6:52 AM

Feb 2008
Last five minutes were pretty sad. Let's see if the final episode can make me cry.
Jun 17, 2011 6:54 AM

Jun 2009
1 more ep to go!! :(

Loved this ep from the heart <3

Jun 17, 2011 7:04 AM
Oct 2010
I got it now... Menma thinks that flower -on the first episode- is the reincarnation of Jinta's mother. And her wish is to... I dunno x_x
Jun 17, 2011 7:14 AM

Sep 2007
Yumekichi11 said:
zorapup said:
Sith_Vicious said:

What I still do not get in the episode is the 2 shots on Menma's hands (At the very beginning when she's praying for Jinta's mom and after the hospital flashback) , there is something weird with her right hand, but can't tell why. Like a scare, as she had been burn or something. I fear she hang on to something for a long time before she drawned.

Actually yea I could tell something was on her hands. Even when she was on the bridge in a happy mood after Jinta confessed there was a shot of her hands when she turned back to look at him. Then talked about reincarnation.

it looks like some petals from a flower? The fading may be a foreshadow, that's possible but can it be a imprint of the flower so as to give out a clue to herself?

Where in the hell do you see a flower? All it shows are the outline of the base of the pot thing in the first pic and her fingers in the second.
Jun 17, 2011 7:25 AM

Feb 2009
I cried, lol. I know it isn't the end yet, but omg.

I was also wondering what's wrong with her hand.. Would it have something to do with the mother of Jintan? Or perhaps it's a clue on.. death, love, heaven.. I don't know.. Ah the mystique!
Jun 17, 2011 7:25 AM

Oct 2010
Wasabi said:
Yumekichi11 said:
zorapup said:
Sith_Vicious said:

Where in the hell do you see a flower? All it shows are the outline of the base of the pot thing in the first pic and her fingers in the second.
Just the shape looked like it somewhat. Call it an abstracted form but then again the fact a outline is there, means what exactly? Not sure about transparency. I don't know but this is all some sort of meaning that can be as simple as fading away to something else. I will stick with your view but I am curious to see where this is going to go in the next episode. Should she disappear next episode, this shall be a foreshadow most likely.

Jun 17, 2011 7:26 AM

Dec 2010
That was ... unexpected. It wasn't her wish >.<?
Tsuruko shows some emotion kinda expected her to be in love with Yukiatsu.
How are they gonna make a conclusion in 1 episode :/

Loved the ep, looking forward to the last one.
Jun 17, 2011 8:32 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
i think its something related to Tsuroko call that she got from Menma. Thats how mby she can pass?
Jun 17, 2011 9:40 AM

Jul 2009
Crax said:

As much as I want Anaru to have a happy ending in all this, I can't help but think that would be awful writing unless there's some kind of timeskip. Realistically, someone who has been brooding over a dead person for 10 years, only to have them come back (and, with the way it seems things will go, lose them again) wouldn't get over it and fall in love with a different girl so quickly.

Anyway, I'm surprised I didn't cry watching this episode. I felt awful through most of it, but didn't tear up at all. I saw it coming, but my heart broke a little when Menma was still there at the end.

As there's only one episode left, I wouldn't be surprised if her wish is actually something really simple; and it's probably related to Jinta and what his mother told Menma. Can't wait for the next episode, although I'll miss this when this is over.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Jun 17, 2011 9:59 AM

Mar 2011
I'm quite sad that Menma's wish didn't come true at the end. But I was kinda expecting it. The ending was really beautiful and I actually shed a few tears (and that almost never happens). I wonder how the last episode is going to turn out. But I bet Menma's wish was something easy. T.T
Jun 17, 2011 10:01 AM

Oct 2010
Man, what an episode ;(

Clever use of sad piano to pull on the heartstrings, coupled with moments like Menma reading her diary, saying "I want to be together with everyone until that time (going to heaven)" and Jinta's confession make for a genuinely emotional experience, I was either on the verge of or crying throughout the episode. And just when I thought that it doesn't get better than that new song that was playing near the end they slam the good ol' ED theme in my face ;(

What it may not have in animation quality and script, AnoHana more than makes up with brilliant directing and heart the size of an emotional colossus like CLANNAD.
Jun 17, 2011 10:02 AM

May 2010
Ah. Brilliant episode. As usual it's so beautifully emotional.

Anjou wearing her glasses <3

Saa-kun: "Mom, do you know how tall I am?? I've really grown in the last year."

These words are really painful to hear from your child

who've been longing for your attention and love since you can't move forward from your other child's death. :(

Tsuruko finally said it that she loves Yukiatsu. I hope she can say it to him next ep.

As to Popo, still doubting what's his true feelings for Menma.

As soon as the ED song played, felt like crying and I'm very happy they added the last part of the song which was so heartwarming. <3

Can't wait for the finale.
StormViruzJun 18, 2011 2:34 AM
Jun 17, 2011 10:14 AM

Oct 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
zorapup said:
Sith_Vicious said:

You see the shape of that small table in the first picture that has the pot on top of it. In the second, you see the outlines of the left hand holding the right. I'm pretty sure that's not an imprint either. If you look at the lighter part of the "imprint" on the hand, it looks like a petal, I guess. But if you look around it at the darker shades, it's clearly a hand and it's also a perfect outline of the hand underneath. I'd call that a pristine foreshadowing of Menma disappearing (err, going to Heaven!). Even though it'll be sad, I can't even imagine a "GOOD" ending without having Menma disappear...
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SakataKintoki&sclick=1]
Jun 17, 2011 10:15 AM
Oct 2007
I'll not be holding back my tears in the last episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2011 10:19 AM

Aug 2008
wow! no words! <3

Poor Anaru and Tsurumi, loving different guys that love the same dead girl... But I get it, Memna is special, I mean, she has something that both Anaru and Tsurumi don't.
MALoweenMansion! 2021:

main candy:

extra candy: 4x

Jun 17, 2011 10:27 AM

Oct 2010
luccide said:
I'll not be holding back my tears in the last episode!

Ha ha, same here :D

Does anyone happen to know what that song that was playing right before the ED started is called? I loved it...
Jun 17, 2011 10:37 AM

Dec 2007
Please don't go off topic.

Removed unrelated posts
Jun 17, 2011 10:43 AM

May 2010
Maybe her wish is to see certain type of flower since the title shows"Ano Hi Mita Hana No Namae Wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai".
It is sort of silly guess though hehe.
Jun 17, 2011 10:48 AM

Mar 2011
"Saa-kun: "Mom, do you know how tall I am?? I've really grown in the last year."

These words is really painful to hear from your child"

I agree. That part broke my heart.
Jun 17, 2011 10:51 AM

Aug 2010
I get choked up every single episode and this one just... and Menma was still there ;~;

Also I feel bad for Anaru and Tsuruko but like Tsuruko, Anaru MIGHT get a chance with Jintan one day but she'll never be with Yukiatsu because he's just a few screws short and will always be obsessed with Menma (which I think is totally creepy btw o.O)
Jun 17, 2011 11:03 AM
Jun 2011
sillyriri said:
Crax said:

As much as I want Anaru to have a happy ending in all this, I can't help but think that would be awful writing unless there's some kind of timeskip. Realistically, someone who has been brooding over a dead person for 10 years, only to have them come back (and, with the way it seems things will go, lose them again) wouldn't get over it and fall in love with a different girl so quickly.

Of course he won't immediately confess to her and be happy all of sudden.
What I mean is when Jintan doesn't like/love Anjou why didn't he just said so in the first place?
So we still don't know what he thinks about Anjou because Menma is the blockade in his mind.

Btw did he gave Anjou her Tissue back from Episode 08? I think he didn't, he also wanted to talk to her, but stopped since everyone else was there. Maybe this Tissue will lead to a final conversation between them?
Jun 17, 2011 11:11 AM

Dec 2010
So...it wasn't her wish after all. Then again, it could hardly have been something as simple as that...

My guess is that there'll be some kind of Jintan/Menma wedding for the last ep, then disappears, just like the wedding in another famous show (which I won't name for spoiler reasons, but most of you will know). As for the others, there more than likely won't be any proper relationship established between the main players at this point in the show (unless they rush it, alá Breakfast Club) but should still prove to be a good ending.

ahmed_great2005 said:
Maybe her wish is to see certain type of flower since the title shows"Ano Hi Mita Hana No Namae Wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai".
It is sort of silly guess though hehe.

Know what? That mightn't be too far off. In fact, I'd fully support a 'Honey Sandwiches'-style ending (Nagai has pulled it off before, rememeber).
teasaveslivesJun 17, 2011 11:17 AM
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Jun 17, 2011 11:11 AM

Nov 2008
cottoncandy7 said:
The reincarnation was game over for Menma x Jinta ending because now he knows she WANTS to go to heaven even though she loves him she wants to see/talk with everybody else. They're gonna have a bittersweet ending like "we love each other but we can't be together". She will probably come back as Jinta's daughter in the timeskip.

Also, that cute talk between Anaru and Tsuruko was great. They were friends again like in the past and that scene when Anaru says Jinta is irreplaceable, Tsuruko agrees and look away because she was thinking about Yukiatsu. The hair thing was symbolic. First we see Yukiatsu sniffing a wig with long hair and next Tsurumi had a haircut. It shows she was tired of trying to look like Menma and now she wants him to look at her the way she really is.

When Tsurumi arrives Yukiatsu and Poppo are the ones who look at her but it was Yukiatsu who "notices" it.
I think we're gonna have a happy ending next week and I hope so because both Anaru and Tsurumi deserve it.

Indeed I hope you're correct as I would like to see it too.
Jun 17, 2011 11:22 AM

Jul 2010
Damn Yukiatsu, why did you have to bring that up. The only thing it does is produce more hate and tears. I must say Poppo suddenly repeating "Say it. Say it." was pretty creepy to me. I guess he wanted to do it over too for some reason? He said it felt like verything was being rewinded? =S

Also nice we finally heard Tsuruko say she loves Yukiatsu, but he never noticed her as well. Anjou and Tsuruko are in the same boat basically. They both love boys who can't forget about a girl who passed away.I really hope things still work out for Jinta and Ajou (and maybe even Tsuruko and Yukiatsu) in the last episode, but I highly doubt it. =(

Jinta still can't let go of Menma. How could he propose something so stupid as Menma staying here and not going to heaven? Why would he want to stop the fireworks? He just has to move on someday. And if you do, Anjou will be waiting. Doesn't get better than that right? Menma even said she'll come back through reincarnation! =)

In the end the fireworks didn't even work. Well they did, but it wasn't her wish after all. I still thing her wish is the "thing she wanted the club to do for Jinta". Even though we still don't know what that is.

Oh yes; and Yukiatsu is still a freak, stroking and sniffing the wig like that. Blergh.

Jun 17, 2011 11:57 AM

Sep 2007
Onyxthegreat said:
Damn Yukiatsu, why did you have to bring that up. The only thing it does is produce more hate and tears. I must say Poppo suddenly repeating "Say it. Say it." was pretty creepy to me. I guess he wanted to do it over too for some reason? He said it felt like verything was being rewinded? =S

It might've caused Anaru to break down in tears later on, but it did offer a conclusion to that fateful day with Jinta finally confessing his love to Menma. It'll offer a bit of closure for both of them. Poppo got the gist of it and wanted it to resolved too and that's why he did what he did. Saying that everything would've rewinded was because if Jinta did run away from the clubhouse, it'll just be a repeat of that day again. It was for Jinta to finally own up to his feelings. Although I do believe Yukiatsu was expecting Jinta to deny it and run off again. Jinta's admitting his love probably caught everyone off guard.
Jun 17, 2011 12:14 PM

Jul 2010
i feel so relieved. i don't know though... lol
Jun 17, 2011 12:33 PM
Aug 2008
I don't know how bad Jintan must feels. His girl which he loved died (it's really sad but sometimes happen) and then he can meet her again but she can't stay with him beceause she's already dead. Damn that must hurt him every day
Jun 17, 2011 12:46 PM

Oct 2008
Glad to see that it stays as great as when it started.

One more episode to go .... damn :/

Jun 17, 2011 1:09 PM

Jun 2011
For some reason i didnt like that Tsuruko love Yukiatsu, no idea why but i just hate it.

and LOL at Popo "Say it" "Say it" "Say it"

Seriously i could feel how Yukiatsu felt when he said "Hey!, is Menma still here?". Very good Voicing
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

xity - Apr 28, 2011

319 by Grimenio »»
47 minutes ago

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1236 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

327 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

422 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

230 by NillyPC »»
Apr 23, 5:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.