Forum Settings
Forums
New
Stream or Download?
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 1, 2011 1:11 PM

Oct 2010
Stream. If I want to actually own a copy of the anime myself then I'd rather try and buy it if it's available in my region as a way of supporting the company.
Jun 1, 2011 1:37 PM

Oct 2007
Download. All the anime I download is saved onto a 3TB external and burned to DVD, just in case something happens to either one of them.
Jun 1, 2011 1:53 PM

Dec 2008
I used to stream all the time before I got my own hard drive and started downloading. Now I download, for the most part, what I watch.

Streaming got annoying because if I watched an episode, the next one might be taken down, be hard to find elsewhere, or take forever to load and by the time it finished I'd be doing something else and would forget all about it. So now I usually only stream if I'm watching a series week-to-week, which rarely happens - I normally don't keep up with the latest series.

I like downloading more because I can get the series all at once, it's all there and so it's ready to go if I get sucked into it enough that I can just keep going without any real problems.

It used to be whatever I was watching is what I purchased. That's not so much the case anymore, since I usually see it online first. This makes more educated purchasing on my part so I'm not blindly wasting money on something I'll watch once and consider to be crap.
Jun 1, 2011 2:17 PM
Jun 2010
Download.
Quality over quantity.
Although I have unlimited cap.
Feels good man.
Jun 1, 2011 2:24 PM

Apr 2011
Download of course.
I want to "own" all anime I watch, and of course it makes it easier to rewatch etc..
Where there's smoke, they pinch back.
Jun 1, 2011 3:18 PM

Jan 2011
Stream first few episodes and if I like it download.
Jun 1, 2011 3:30 PM

Apr 2009
I actually prefer to stream. Don't have an external HD so, i find it more simple to just simply watch the anime by stream
Jun 1, 2011 3:50 PM
Nov 2007
Mostly download cause I like the quality + easy access since its on my laptop
Jun 1, 2011 3:52 PM
Feb 2011
Stream. but only because i don't really know how to download. and the computers i use arent even mine. so people would be mad at me for using up their disc space.
Jun 1, 2011 4:20 PM
Nov 2010
MaedhrostheTall said:
Stream. but only because i don't really know how to download. and the computers i use arent even mine. so people would be mad at me for using up their disc space.

This
I use my mom's computer so i can't download nor do i know how.
Jun 1, 2011 4:41 PM

Oct 2009
Since downloads are usually of better quality than streams, i download.
Jun 1, 2011 4:42 PM

Jun 2007
No poll options for buying, renting, borrowing from friends, or watching on TV?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jun 1, 2011 5:36 PM

Feb 2011
Almost only stream. Would've found it annoying to constantly be downloading anime, slowing down my Internet just so it can be deleted a couple of days or hours later to make room for the incoming anime. So I rather have a little lower quality stream that I can watch whenever I feel like it.
Jun 1, 2011 6:01 PM

Jan 2009
If an anime is available for streaming on the legitimate sites like CR or Funimation then I shall always watch it there first. I also get a good amount of my anime over netflix.

For anything else I download.
Jun 1, 2011 6:15 PM

Apr 2011
Zalis said:

Sorry buddy, that wasn't the question.
Jun 2, 2011 5:08 AM

Jun 2010
I stream because it's more convenient for me...
Jun 2, 2011 5:54 AM

Sep 2007
I love my computer, but it's not exactly new anymore. I have a tendency to hoard things, so I'm afraid if I started downloading, instead of deleting a series when I'm done I'll be like, "D: But what if I want to watch it again!" and before you know it series have piled up, things slow down, computer bursts into flames. That's bad.

If you know where to look, quality isn't always an issue. Besides if I love a series enough I'll just buy it and enjoy it in high quality forever and ever.
Jun 2, 2011 6:06 AM

Jun 2011
download :D
since i can watch 'em anytime i want
Jun 2, 2011 6:36 AM

May 2009
Download probably 99% of the time. I like to be able to watch whenever and not have to worry about a crappy internet connection interrupting my episode.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Jun 2, 2011 7:12 AM

Jul 2009
I stream exclusively.

One, I can watch legal streams of anime on sites like Crunchyroll or Funimation. And even if they did offer downloading services (I believe one legal streaming website did, at one point, offer a Download to Own option or some such thing) I'd stream the episode anyway. Why?

Streaming is convenient. I don't want to search through websites and wait to download the episode. I'm going to go find the episode on a website and stream it. It requires less action of my lazy self. Plus, with weekly released series, I'd have to go through the downloading process at least once a week. Why would this annoy me?

Because downloading is useless for me. I rarely ever rewatch series and the ones I do are the series I or a friend own on DVD. The point of downloading is usually so that you can watch them over and over again. I wouldn't do that. I watch and episode once and am done with it. So even if I did download something I would delete it afterwards. Streaming takes less effort because I can watch it once, leave the website, and go do something else.

Also, quality isn't an issue. As long as I can understand what's going on I don't care about watermarks or some such thing. I'm an anime fan that's easily pleased.
Jun 2, 2011 7:39 AM

May 2009
The only time I stream is when I can't find a good enough torrent for a random short special or something.
Jun 2, 2011 7:56 AM
May 2011
I stream, since my parents don't allow any sort of downloading besides music and installations. I'm not a quality freak either, so if a site has the anime I'm looking for, I'll just end up watching there, and sometimes the quality isn't really that terrible, so I can tolerate it for 20+ minutes.

Unless it's a prolonging series like Bleach, that's when I buy the DVDs.

Jun 2, 2011 7:57 AM

Mar 2011
Always download.

The bigger the resolution and quality, the better!
Anything less than 720p bugs me to no end, sadly.
Jun 2, 2011 8:33 AM

Dec 2010
Download, you can rewatch without the time consuming buffering hassle.
If one has a connection of 128 kbps, then he shall suffer long time buffering but with a total download, he can go left and right and even do intensive reviews by the manipulation of the time bars.
Jun 2, 2011 8:55 AM
May 2009
Stream if I can't find the download. but other then that the Download, for BD quality, with great resolution, and no load times when I am watching.
Jun 2, 2011 8:57 AM

Jun 2009
Zalis said:

Of course not! That would be supporting the industry we wouldn't want that now ;)

/sarcasm
Jun 2, 2011 9:44 AM

Nov 2008
BlitzFreeze said:
Almost only stream. Would've found it annoying to constantly be downloading anime, slowing down my Internet just so it can be deleted a couple of days or hours later to make room for the incoming anime. So I rather have a little lower quality stream that I can watch whenever I feel like it.

I can find high quality streams even 1080p raws but I have to wait 3-5 days for them, it's the reason I delay watching any ongoing Precure series until then since I can get 720p at the least if I wait 3-5 days if even that (I've seen them within 6 hours of the LQ).

Jun 2, 2011 12:27 PM
Aug 2010
Fuzzhx said:
download mostly. i rarely stream anymore. for a number of reasons:
-i have unlimited bandwidth
-i have a decent amount of space on my hard drive and only keep some of my favorites.
-im a quality freak
-since i watch my anime on my tv the quality matters even more.
-i like using my own media player (click anywhere on screen/spacebar to pause, press a key to rewind 5 secs incase i missed some subtitles, turn the subs on or off if i want a screenshot etc.)

My reasons for downloading are exactly the same.
But at my dorm I do stream because they blokked torrents
Jun 2, 2011 1:11 PM

Dec 2008
Streaming.
Because:
- I can't download
- Anime can take some bites in the computer (also like that, my computer if full of music and my little brother's games - it's a family computer)
- Most of the animes I want are already on the anime sites, so that it won't be a problem.

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
Jun 2, 2011 2:20 PM

May 2011
Usually Streaming, it's fastest to watch a specific episode without waiting time... and I should say the qualily sometimes is good, obviously not like a downloaded video, but near...
Jun 2, 2011 9:27 PM

Mar 2011
Streaming
Jun 2, 2011 9:31 PM
Apr 2011
I like to download batch torrents overnight so I can have a series ready the next day, I also love me some 720p :)
Feel free to drop a comment on my profile and have a chat! I am always looking to socialize with other users!
Jun 3, 2011 4:18 AM

Dec 2010
Genten said:
Streaming is convenient. I don't want to search through websites and wait to download the episode. I'm going to go find the episode on a website and stream it. It requires less action of my lazy self. Plus, with weekly released series, I'd have to go through the downloading process at least once a week. Why would this annoy me?

You make it sound as if downloading is so much different. Basically you go to your website of choice and either click on "stream" or "download". With the right addon one click is all you have to do and seconds later a video file is magically appearing in the download folder, ready to open in your favourite player. You can watch while it's still downloading and not only does it look much better but possibly finishes downloading faster than the stream can buffer the whole video.
Jun 3, 2011 8:49 AM

Jul 2009
nznznz said:
You make it sound as if downloading is so much different. Basically you go to your website of choice and either click on "stream" or "download". With the right addon one click is all you have to do and seconds later a video file is magically appearing in the download folder, ready to open in your favourite player. You can watch while it's still downloading and not only does it look much better but possibly finishes downloading faster than the stream can buffer the whole video.

Did you even read the paragraph below that? I said I didn't like downloading because I was lazy and can get the same thing from streaming. I have no need for downloading but power to those who do, I guess.
Jun 3, 2011 8:59 AM

Jul 2008
..With the amount of anime I watch, downloading every single thing would be a huge pain in the ass. Streaming is so much quicker and the quality is amazing depending on how long you decide to wait, but hey, If quality really bugs you, the DvDs are always available~
Jun 3, 2011 9:05 AM

Mar 2010
Obviously, when watching streamed anime on a 1080p or 720p LCD the quality will be horrible. The streamed file is usually resized to 360p when uploaded, so to watch full screen, you have to account for more than 1 million pixels than are blotched up and filled with whatever your screen or video card decides is best. I can assure you that streaming anime looks way better on a 36" CRT at 480i (interlaced) than on any 720p or 1080p LCD. (Being a TV technician, believe me) Only when you download does the difference show. Anime on a 720p LCD is best watched at 720p or 1080p. Anime on a 1080p is best watched at 1080p. If you have multi-scan (CRT 1080i,CRT 36" 1536p(higher than 1080p...you dont see a lot like mine :) ) it doesn't matter what you watch anime like. It always looks good if the encode is OK or the bit rate isn't bad (streams).

Personally I stream more than often these days, as I don't have unlimited bandwidth at home, and a episode of streamed anime takes generally only about 70mb (instead of 140mb) on your bandwidth. For quality or anime that I really want to watch as a batch, I download it whole at 480p or 720p.
Jun 3, 2011 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
I tend to download, though I used to be an avid streamer. The quality and time it takes to download, for me, is well worth it.
Jun 3, 2011 9:27 AM

Jun 2010
i do both but i mostly stream mostly because i am to impatient for the episode to load usually 1 ep takes 30 minutes to load and in that time i would have been done with the ep i only download it when i was use it for editing purposes or cant find anywere to watch it on stream
Anime/Manga Gives Heart To The World <3

http://www.youtube.com/user/lust4lyfe101
Jun 3, 2011 12:57 PM

Jul 2007
Downloading because:
- quality
- no need to worry if my internet connection does something stupid in the middle of an episode
- once I have the episode, I can keep it forever
- less searching (there are dozens of anime streaming sites that have various series and qualities, but due to the nature of torrents [i.e. that you want a ton of people on the same one] most of the good ones are concentrated on fewer websites)

I do watch legal streams so I can support licensing companies (a little bit), though.

oh, these little earthquakes
Jun 4, 2011 11:28 AM

Aug 2010
Usually I download, even for a 500MB file it usually finishes within 7-10 minutes so there's almost no point streaming as I can download another episode in the middle of watching a current one.

The only time that I stream is the first episode of a series that I am not sure about and then download the rest.
Jun 4, 2011 11:37 AM

Apr 2009
This is a duplicate of a topic that I made a year or so back: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=263635 It's locked though...

Though it's still the same thing as my post in that topic; I mainly stream because I'm pretty impatient about downloads (takes 10 mins for a 170 MB file), I'm not really a quality freak, it's quicker + convenient, I don't usually rewatch series,and Windows Media Player sucks. I am way too lazy to find another main media player as I would want to get an alternative media player just in case that media player explodes or something like that.

Nowadays, I am downloading anime, but only those that are up in my favorites list. 9/10 or higher.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jun 4, 2011 2:15 PM

Dec 2010
Genten said:
Did you even read the paragraph below that? I said I didn't like downloading because I was lazy and can get the same thing from streaming.

Did you read my post? There's no additional effort, you just choose what to click on. Downloading also doesn't mean you have to keep the files or is pressing delete so much harder than leaving a website?
Jun 4, 2011 4:09 PM

Feb 2010
95% dl, if some1 takes my pc, then ill just burn some ep's on-to dvd and watch 'em on TV. And yeah.. sometimes problems with i-net, so yeah, dl ftw.
LUL
Jun 4, 2011 4:48 PM

Apr 2011
I prefer downloading. That way I can rewatch some animes without wasting more bandwith.
colemanH.png colemanh-1.png
Jun 4, 2011 5:40 PM

Apr 2011
downloading
Jun 4, 2011 10:12 PM

May 2011
I prefer downloading. I like being able to watch episodes anytime at a higher quality. Also, I can do homework while my anime is/are downloading, so in the end I finish more work than usual. Just like when playing a really good game, I tend to lose track of time when watching a really good anime.
Jun 5, 2011 3:17 AM

Nov 2009
i always download, because its HQ
Jun 6, 2011 4:56 PM

Dec 2009
Now some sites have flash players which allow streaming files from local computer. The players can be used for communications like commenting, text arts etc. + playing the file.
Jun 6, 2011 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely download.
Personally am an anime collector and the thing i love most is to see my anime collection growing.
I don't really fancy streaming because of the quality and of course, it takes up time, especially when your internet connection is down and especially when it's a cliff hanger, it always pissed me off.
Jun 6, 2011 6:28 PM

Jan 2010
I only download things that needs to be watched in high quality with no lag to really enjoy. For everything else, streaming.
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Any anime you don't understand exactly what the characters do but still enjoy it anyway?

Rinrinka - 41 minutes ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» dark humor in anime

deg - 1 hour ago

12 by Nirinbo »»
4 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

88 by Yonahim_Zz »»
5 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming?

tappioca - 41 minutes ago

30 by tappioca »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 3 )

Cammell - May 8

104 by NaTsu879 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.