Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 26, 2011 8:17 AM
Dec 2009
Just read about it Yesterday.
It's sick what they doing down there in China.

They are making the prisoners play for 12hours, Daily.
Only farming mines and such.

If they stop, they get punished.
''If I couldn't complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things," he said.''

You can read more about it here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam
PrizkillaMay 26, 2011 8:21 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 26, 2011 8:29 AM

Aug 2010
I thought you had a typo in your post but they are actually playing games for punishment (but it isn't fun).
May 26, 2011 8:32 AM

Aug 2008
The funny part -- much of that work is utilized by US businesses to minimize labor costs. Do they care? No.

EDIT: Forced to play World of Warcraft? Man... that IS torture... forced to play a game as crappy as that.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

May 26, 2011 8:34 AM

Nov 2008
We'll never stop China's evil business practices at this rate, that and even trying to do so is bad for everyone elses' business in the world.

May 26, 2011 9:40 AM

Mar 2011
This made lol so much. Oh china you so crazy.

As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.
lol.
FlowersAreCoolMay 26, 2011 9:43 AM
I hate you all.
May 26, 2011 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
heard about this. so bad its kinda funny.
May 26, 2011 9:58 AM

Jun 2009
They've been doing that since Everquest.
May 26, 2011 11:47 AM
May 2009
XD. I am actually glad that prisoners are getting punished. in a weird and funny way.

Finally some justice at work, Seriously why are we housing prisoners instead of using them as free labour. This world is going to hell with these prisoner rights.
May 26, 2011 1:19 PM

Nov 2007
shintai88 said:
Finally some justice at work,
I don't think you read the article carefully enough. This isn't about justice, this is about money. The prison bosses couldn't care less what the prisoners were doing as long as it filled their pockets.
May 26, 2011 1:25 PM

Oct 2008
Hey there's slaves in the US too, their called illegal immigrants.
May 26, 2011 1:40 PM

Mar 2009
Mujina said:

Technically aren't we all slaves?
May 26, 2011 2:19 PM
Dec 2007
Rey-misterio said:
Mujina said:

Pretty much, only difference is that we get some monetary reward for our slavery and at the very least a small amount of protection from being completely exploited. We do have to break our backs the rest of our lives to make a very small amount of people filthy rich though.

May 26, 2011 2:51 PM

Dec 2009
lol this could have been an article from the onion..

but this is messed up..
May 26, 2011 3:16 PM

Jan 2011
You do realise these guys get beaten if they don't do it? They don't even get the money they're promised.

I don't think that's funny at all.
May 26, 2011 3:20 PM

Jul 2009
Most people who play Warcraft seem to play it for at least 12 hours a day anyway....
May 26, 2011 3:25 PM

Jun 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Rey-misterio said:
Mujina said:

Pretty much, only difference is that we get some monetary reward for our slavery and at the very least a small amount of protection from being completely exploited. We do have to break our backs the rest of our lives to make a very small amount of people filthy rich though.

Hmmm... but money itself doesn't have any value ( piece of paper ), those who control money ( those filthy rich bastards ;) ) tell us that this is what we need to "live" so is to buy things from companies they own to comfort ourself with illusion of freedom and happiness represented by things and life styles that were made just to keep us in our misery/slavery/imaginary freedom. With this in mind it can be said we are next level of slaves - slaves that think they are free... and most people don't even bother to resist.
Anyway China - slavery - yes very very bad
ps. sorry for my grammar;)
May 26, 2011 3:46 PM

Jan 2011
They are prisoners.
May 26, 2011 3:46 PM
Dec 2007
occrin said:

Hmmm... but money itself doesn't have any value ( piece of paper ), those who control money ( those filthy rich bastards ;) ) tell us that this is what we need to "live" so is to buy things from companies they own to comfort ourself with illusion of freedom and happiness represented by things and life styles that were made just to keep us in our misery/slavery/imaginary freedom. With this in mind it can be said we are next level of slaves - slaves that think they are free... and most people don't even bother to resist.
Anyway China - slavery - yes very very bad
ps. sorry for my grammar;)
I never said it made it better. Actually, it's just as you say. We are slaves who don't even know or care that we are slaves. If we believe we are free, what's there to resist?

May 26, 2011 4:22 PM

Jun 2010
Leon-Gun said:

I never said it made it better. Actually, it's just as you say. We are slaves who don't even know or care that we are slaves. If we believe we are free, what's there to resist?

I said that most people don't bother... but there are still few who choose different path (we talk about that right here and right now so maybe we don't believe this fully that we are made to be slaves like that )and there are countless examples in human history that freedom is not a matter of wealth or position in hierarchy but courage and determination :) and the real question is not what there is to resist but I'm brave enough to try oppose this sh&#?
May 26, 2011 4:36 PM

Mar 2011
Mogtaki said:
You do realise these guys get beaten if they don't do it? They don't even get the money they're promised.

I think it's hilarious. lol getting beat if you don't play a shitty game. China's funny like that, I mean where else are you gonna hear about stuff like this happening in?
I hate you all.
May 26, 2011 6:12 PM

Oct 2010
"As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells."

I love that first line
May 26, 2011 6:14 PM

Sep 2010
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
Mogtaki said:

I mean where else are you gonna hear about stuff like this happening in?

You mean people in power exploiting a captive cheap labor force for relatively huge profits?

Obviously nobody does that anywhere else in the world, especially not the U.S.

Sarcasm aside, it just serves as a pretty good metaphor for China's emerging world position that the work their slaves do happens to be more advanced than ours.

Also this has been happening for forever. The people buying the gold are the problem, and shutting them down is the only way to stop it, which is something Blizzard recognizes I think. If people stopped buying gold too then the number of account hacks would drop significantly as well, which is something I think we (by we I mean me) could all appreciate :P
May 26, 2011 6:14 PM

Mar 2011
Supergrunt8 said:
"As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells."

I love that first line
lol. This article made my day.
I hate you all.
May 26, 2011 7:34 PM

Nov 2010
JonyJC said:
They are prisoners.
Prisoners get free health care. Prisoners get fed, hobos don't. I'd rather be in a Communist prison than be a bottom feeder off on the streets.
May 26, 2011 8:21 PM

Jun 2009
My old account actually got hacked by Chinese gold farmers. If I still cared to play the game, I would have done something about it, but I don't, so instead Blizzard deleted my account.

WoW aside, this is not funny. Just because they're prisoners doesn't justify such harsh treatment. I'm not a humanitarian, but still, this somehow ticks me off. The guy from the article was arrested for "illegal petitioning," not something that would ever justify 12 hours of eye-destroying, mind-numbing labor and physical beatings. This is why in America, the punishment is supposed to fit the crime.

And for the first time in my life, I find myself praising America... for it's criminal justice system, no less!
May 26, 2011 9:01 PM

May 2008
I wouldn't say the american justice system is anywhere near ideal either, but it's certainly better than most of the alternatives, especially if you're a criminal. I can't think of any reason that petitioning your government should warrant prison time. Makes you respect the protections we have for whistleblowers..... our rights are tread upon a bit more every day.

I am a banana.
May 26, 2011 10:09 PM
Feb 2010
You'd think Blizzard would just make an official way to pay for gold. They're so willing to nickel and dime their customers for everything else.
May 26, 2011 10:48 PM

May 2008
yeah i was thinking this too.... many other games already have ways of doing so, and it's not like restricting it has encourages any good behavior~ .... just more hacking and activities like this. Most companies would not hesitate to increment numbers in exchange for cash.

I am a banana.
May 27, 2011 7:21 AM

Jun 2010
Mm playing wow for a sentence sound's better then getting raped and fighting.
Riveting is rosy, pockets full of posies, given to the mother of the deceased. Awaken at war, 'til I'm restin' in peace
May 27, 2011 7:22 AM

Feb 2008
Rey-misterio said:
Mujina said:

No, because the vast majority of us get paid.
May 27, 2011 7:28 AM

Nov 2008
LolitaDecay said:
Rey-misterio said:
Mujina said:

No, because the vast majority of us get paid.

We are indentured servants.

May 27, 2011 7:46 AM

Sep 2010
lol.. buying gold from murderers and petty criminals..
society rulz !
May 27, 2011 8:34 AM

Feb 2005
So, he first works in IRL mines, and is then forced to play WOW for 12 hours straight? That certainly sounds like a human rights problem right there.
Now, if it was just being forced to mine virtual gold for 12 hours, that wouldn't be so bad. They are prisoners after all.
May 27, 2011 8:43 AM

Jun 2009
I don't even know what to say about this.

Can't wait to go to China this summer!
May 27, 2011 9:55 AM

Jul 2009
When I used to kill the chinese farmers in game, I wonder if they got beat in real life for not making their quota? :s
May 27, 2011 12:57 PM

Sep 2010
Grimm3r said:
When I used to kill the chinese farmers in game, I wonder if they got beat in real life for not making their quota? :s

dont worry maby other country prisoners play2 =/
May 27, 2011 1:53 PM

Dec 2008
iubkram said:
Mm playing wow for a sentence sound's better then getting raped and fighting.

nahh, it IS wow we are talking about.
May 31, 2011 7:07 AM

Apr 2010
It isn't new that they can be pretty cruel or/and wierd sometimes. (Afther all, they execute criminals, they don'tt mind watching a poor cow eaten by a tiger).

And no, I don't think the fact they are criminals, mean they can be used like this. Okay, sure, I don't say "Let them sit and having fun", yes they should work, but not like this!

And just don't forget that most of the more werious criminals are... well... dead.

May 31, 2011 8:03 AM

Jan 2011
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
Mogtaki said:

I think it's hilarious. lol getting beat if you don't play a shitty game. China's funny like that, I mean where else are you gonna hear about stuff like this happening in?

And the "hilarious" part is what? They have to play something against their will?

Then would you also laugh at children getting sold as sex slaves which also appears to be "prisoners" in China?

It's called Human Rights, something that goes in almost any case in this planet.
China has it but still doesn't, they tend to go for the quickest solution and what costs least to execute operations and systems; i.e Corrupt.

On clear example of "justice" which China has is:

We aren't any different, we are just more tolerant of what negative impact has fallen over us.
Deal with it, move on - Is what you are told to do more than, let your vengeance be fulfilled.
May 31, 2011 8:21 AM

Dec 2009
Its funny to me. In the past prisoners are forced to work in real labor work, which may include dangerous mining. Digital mining is at least safer. If you include driving/ traffic time, many people works More than 12 hours per day.

Prisoners' human right is always an issue of debate, including death penalty. It doesn't really matter your country is developed or not. Countries/area like Japan / Taiwan, which often criticize China's government, got a lot of supporters for death penalty, for example
Jun 1, 2011 2:55 AM

Oct 2010
This is pretty messed up tbh. Being beaten if they don't fill a quota is pretty sick, and they're being forced to play a game when they're in prison? wtf?
Jun 1, 2011 5:49 AM

Jun 2010
Sick stuf but LMAO either way.
Jun 11, 2011 7:54 PM

Jun 2011
I learned they prevent their slaves to commit suicide nya!!
Jun 11, 2011 8:56 PM

Jun 2008
Piperun said:
Lolis_and_Shotas said:
Mogtaki said:

And the "hilarious" part is what? They have to play something against their will?

Then would you also laugh at children getting sold as sex slaves which also appears to be "prisoners" in China?

It's called Human Rights, something that goes in almost any case in this planet.
China has it but still doesn't, they tend to go for the quickest solution and what costs least to execute operations and systems; i.e Corrupt.
I'm all in for human rights, but I understand why some people see this as hilarious.

It's silly. And it's awful. It's silly because compared to all the other cruel things their master could do, they're forcing them to play a game (albeit very repetitive and again, a host of obvious ethical issues of why it's awful.) It's funny because we don't think the slaves are funny, but what the master's objective is (will be elaborated further). It's unfortunate human rights and slaves are connected, so we are in conflict or maybe confusion with what we find funny, and human rights.

Your example on the other hand has nothing that's silly or hilarious. There's nothing silly about children getting sold as sex slaves. It's terrible. It's awful, and it's a horrible thing to do because that's what culture and society tell us. On the other hand, society tell us (average people) that being too serious in video games or the internet or whatever would often fall under sillyness.

So in the end, it's a matter of culture and social values. Most of us MALers find it funny when people take things on the Internet too seriously (note all the memes/pics around this). When people take things that are fictional too seriously (note japanese guy marrying a pillow, hilarity ensues). When people take games like WOW too seriously (like a news of a girl who wants more gold and allegedly say she will have sex with you). It just so happens in this case the guy who's taking WOW too serious was a slave master (or have connections with them, whatever).

Long story short, internet cultures make this hilarious. Obvious host of ethical issues make this horrible.
Jun 12, 2011 5:13 AM

Jun 2009
nerb said:
You'd think Blizzard would just make an official way to pay for gold. They're so willing to nickel and dime their customers for everything else.

Yeah, and then everything in game would cost thousands of gold and anyone not willing to blow their entire paycheck, every time they get a paycheck, will be left in the dust. Glad you're not a game developer.

Carpets said:
Most people who play Warcraft seem to play it for at least 12 hours a day anyway....

And everyone that lives in Scotland are alcoholic, racist, illiterate morons. Oh boy, did I just make a sweeping generalisation?

Lolis_and_Shotas said:

They aren't forced to play it because it's "shitty". They are forced to play it because the prison guards make more money a week off it than their actual jobs do in a month and nobody cares about it. The Chinese guy who brought this subject to light was put in prison for speaking out against corrupted officials.
Jun 12, 2011 9:48 AM

Nov 2010
DigiDigi said:
JonyJC said:
They are prisoners.
Prisoners get free health care. Prisoners get fed, hobos don't. I'd rather be in a Communist prison than be a bottom feeder off on the streets.
Quite a bold statement coming from someone who clearly enjoys the luxury of freedom. Saying things like "I rather be a prisoner than a hobo" just reminds me how ignorant people can be when they haven't experienced things first hand.
Jun 12, 2011 9:51 AM

Nov 2010
Tyestor said:
nerb said:

Yeah, and then everything in game would cost thousands of gold and anyone not willing to blow their entire paycheck, every time they get a paycheck, will be left in the dust. Glad you're not a game developer.

Carpets said:

And everyone that lives in Scotland are alcoholic, racist, illiterate morons. Oh boy, did I just make a sweeping generalisation?

Lolis_and_Shotas said:

They aren't forced to play it because it's "shitty". They are forced to play it because the prison guards make more money a week off it than their actual jobs do in a month and nobody cares about it. The Chinese guy who brought this subject to light was put in prison for speaking out against corrupted officials.

Amen to all that. People may think that it's funny, but when they actually see it or experience it, it's a completely different story.
Jun 13, 2011 11:02 AM

Oct 2010
The very notion sounds hilarious. Almost too hard to believe this could actually have been happening.
Jun 14, 2011 3:02 AM

Feb 2010
China will realize their wrong doings eventually and will probably some day find another way of making money, like what the US did but for now.. THIS IS JUST SICK!

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.