Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 13, 2011 4:53 AM

Nov 2010
Sorry if there is already a thread like this.

So I've decided to give Panty & Stocking another go considering it's awesome soundtrack, I thought it's worth a watch, because at first I was "what is this, I don't even" Though it isn't as bad as I once branded it to be. So what anime did you orginially loathe but reconsidered?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 13, 2011 5:07 AM

May 2010
I originally didn't care about Turn A Gundam due to the mecha designs being a major turn off for me after seeing it at an anime club, especially for the Gundam, but I decided to give the series a second chance sometime considering the positive reaction the series has, so I added it to my Plan to Watch list.
May 13, 2011 5:12 AM

Nov 2010
shakugan no shana and i loved it the second time

death note even the second (and even 3, 4 tries) didn't help me liking it so now i will never try it again haha
May 13, 2011 5:38 AM

Jun 2009
I once dropped Strawberry Panic, but decided to give it a second chance and watch the whole thing. I regretted it. Badly.
May 13, 2011 5:41 AM

Nov 2010
Tharand said:
I once dropped Strawberry Panic, but decided to give it a second chance and watch the whole thing. I regretted it. Badly.

really? I was actually considering watching it (because I've never watched yuri/shoujo-ai before) whats so bad about it?
May 13, 2011 6:01 AM

Sep 2010
paperbomb said:
Tharand said:

really? I was actually considering watching it (because I've never watched yuri/shoujo-ai before) whats so bad about it?

i dropped it too, its pretty boring, noting really happens, i might rewatch it one day though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2011 6:17 AM

May 2009
kanon-chan said:
I originally didn't care about Turn A Gundam due to the mecha designs being a major turn off for me.
Same here. I dropped it after 15 episodes once, but decided to give it another chance and found it really good that time around.
May 13, 2011 6:35 AM

Jun 2009
paperbomb said:
Tharand said:

Two words: cliche and drama.
While neither of them is necessarily bad, both of them in such copious amounts as in this show is simply horrible. It simply blew my mind how any show can have so much stupid stuff going on.
Even today I'm not quite sure whether all of this was actually meant to be taken seriously, or if the creators were aware of how stupidly overblown everything was and specifically made it that was.

If you want lots of ridiculous, over the top and implausible drama you can watch it. Or if you like to make fun of bad shows and enjoying the heck out of it. In hindsight that's what I should've done. But I wanted and expected something else, so I jsut ended up hating it.
May 13, 2011 6:41 AM

Aug 2010
I gave Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu a second chance after dropping it and that turned out to be a great decision.

Tharand said:
paperbomb said:
Tharand said:

While neither of them is necessarily bad, both of them in such copious amounts as in this show is simply horrible. It simply blew my mind how any show can have so much stupid stuff going on.
Even today I'm not quite sure whether all of this was actually meant to be taken seriously, or if the creators were aware of how stupidly overblown everything was and specifically made it that was.

If you want lots of ridiculous, over the top and implausible drama you can watch it. Or if you like to make fun of bad shows and enjoying the heck out of it. In hindsight that's what I should've done. But I wanted and expected something else, so I jsut ended up hating it.

Marathon it and it is much more enjoyable. Complete overload of emotion, at least it was like that for me.
May 13, 2011 6:45 AM

Jun 2009
prismheart said:

Marathon it and it is much more enjoyable. Complete overload of emotion, at least it was like that for me.

Well I did, that's how I always watch my shows. But after watching three eps in a row I usually had to pause, because my brain couldn't take any more stupidity (not to mention that it was boring and I hated the characters).

More on topic again:
I once dopped Lucky Star after 3 or so episodes. A year or so later, after having seen much more shows, I picked it up again and liked it. This time I simply got more of the references. I just hadn't seen enough anime the first time.
May 13, 2011 6:47 AM

Aug 2010
Strawberry Panic's last 10 episodes were pretty awesome if you ask me.

My biggest series i've given a second chance to was Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, couldn't stand it when it was airing but I adored it 2nd time round.

Also the whole Mahou Shoujo genre, dripped it as a kid but can't get enough now.
May 13, 2011 6:57 AM

Jan 2010
Ergo Proxy lol.
The first time around I got bored in the first 10 minutes and somehow the whole thing just generally put me off.
Eventually gave it another try and bloody hell I am glad I did.
May 13, 2011 7:03 AM

May 2010
Excel Saga...
The first time I tried watching it (a month ago), the first few minutes gave me a headache. I started again a few days ago and just finished it.
Though I won't go so far as saying I've fallen in love with it, it did turn out to be quite enjoyable.
May 13, 2011 7:04 AM
May 2011
I'm thinking about giving Katekyo Hitman Reborn another try, but I'm not sure.So I'll see what happens.

I also hated D. Gray Man for a while, but I gave it another try -with the manga- and I loved it.

But one series I will never look up again is Strawberry Panic. Man, that show was a complete waste of time, since it was pretty obvious who was going to be with who and how it would end, though some parts were pretty amazing..

May 13, 2011 7:33 AM

Mar 2009
There is already such a thread. Anyway,

Hellsing
Tenjou Tenge
May 13, 2011 7:48 AM

Feb 2010
prismheart said:

Tharand said:
paperbomb said:
Tharand said:

Here's a hint: You don't watch Strawberry Panic! for the fantastic story and well-developed characters. You watch it because girl-on-girl fanservice is the hottest thing since the Bhut Jolokia chili pepper.

And for the topic...Marimite, maybe?
May 13, 2011 8:31 AM

Feb 2008
Tatami Galaxy for me, I started watching it for the 3rd time yesterday and finally got over the pretentious character design and drawing.

May 13, 2011 9:09 AM

Apr 2011
Mukuro Naru Hoshi Tama Taru Ko (Narutaru)

I watched 5 of the 13 episodes and just never got around to watching more, I couldn't find the episodes or I couldn't seem to get into it...not sure what. So I dropped it early last year. I picked it up again at beginning of this year and finished it.
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
May 13, 2011 12:01 PM

Apr 2010
Code Geass. Because of the mecha genre I dropped after watching 2 episodes....but recently I started watching again...and what can I say...it's awesome... Lelouch FTW!
May 13, 2011 12:14 PM

May 2008
KeiranShikari said:
Strawberry Panic's last 10 episodes were pretty awesome if you ask me.

The only good thing about the Strawberry Panic anime is, that the manga is worse...and that from the mouth of a yuri-fanboi...

Edit:
I forgot, @topic:

Last Exile...don't remember why, but there was a time when I watched episode 1 and thought it was boring like hell...glad I picked it up again later
May 13, 2011 12:25 PM

Jun 2008
Oh yes, criticizing strawberry panic, count me in!

I swear, I gave this anime a second chance, and I still couldn't go through it. Marathon? Impossible. After 2 episodes at most, I get tired and bored of all the melodrama. I mean, if melodrama was exciting like Code Geass or something with stuff blowing up and Spinzakus, I would enjoy it. ...Maybe. But it's just a bunch of girls with problems blown way out of proportion. Now it's stuck permanently on my dropped list around episode 18 or 20.
May 13, 2011 12:28 PM

May 2011
I'd have to say "Gundam X" and "A Certain Magical Index II." I didn't really dislike either series, but I remember feeling the same way about both; they were turning stale. Or so I thought. I gave them another whirl up and really enjoyed them. I'm glad I didn't stop watching them when I did, hah.
May 13, 2011 12:40 PM

Oct 2009
Kimi ni Todoke. My friends were begging me to try it, and I watched 1 episode and hated it. Then a few months later I tried it again and absolutely loved it, lol. Now it's my favorite romance series.
May 13, 2011 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
Gurren Lagaan because I thought it was stupid. But then I realised that was kinda the point and that it actually had some clever moments later on amongst the epic insanity...

Code Geass cause it was Death Note with Mecha. Which still isn't really inaccurate but it was good dumb fun in a charming way.
May 13, 2011 1:19 PM

Apr 2010
Haruhi I guess... but that was mostly because I watched episode 00 first (the movie)... thought it was just absurd and didn't go back for a couple months. Later decided to start back up for some random reason and I'm glad I did
May 13, 2011 1:21 PM

Nov 2010
School Rumble. it looked so dumb when i first started it i cut it off within the first few mins. and im not sure what it was that made me decide to give it another chance but im glad i did. soon after it became one of my favorites of all time.
May 13, 2011 3:11 PM

Dec 2008
+1 to agree with the criticisms here about Strawberry Panic. I'm seriously glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. Ugh. So boring. Why I'm trying to push myself though them is a mystery... or a deep, subconscious torture method I'm trying to perform on myself. I want to stop, but I'm like, "No, finish it, just to say we did! And maybe it'll get better! Some say the last few episodes are nice!" But the stupidity, the boredom...! One or two episodes becomes unbearable! ARGH!

Putting those thoughts aside to answer the actual topic, I have to say Kaleido Star was something that seriously turned me off in the first six episodes. "Oh yay, she's a typical overly perky, optimistic girl in a circus with everyone hating on her and a stupid seal for a mascot character, so what?" After months of pushing it off I decided to keep on going on a whim, and I wound up liking it okay enough. I'm glad I stuck through it. It definitely got better and I actually wound up liking the second season more than the first one. Leyla is beautiful and all, but it was nice to set her aside somewhat, give Sora some realistic goals, and make her put her forever optimistic attitude in perspective. I really felt like she grew up more in the second season.
May 13, 2011 3:43 PM

Sep 2008
Nana, which I think is hilarious. Initially, I wasn't the biggest fan of the art and I thought it looked boring. Later, when I actually watched a few episodes, I realized how amazing it was.
May 13, 2011 4:33 PM

Aug 2007
FMA Brotherhood, even if I still think so, I thought the first couple episodes were simply sloppy, and dismal. I dropped it figuring it was going to be a poorly paced show, but I started getting into the new manga material and found myself pleased to the point that I gave it a 9 by the time I was done with it.

Biggest surprise ever.

May 13, 2011 4:41 PM

Sep 2010
Ayashi no Ceres I dropped it after the 3rd episode or so. Then one day I went back and watched the whole thing. Its now one of my top favorite anime. <3
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 13, 2011 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
now i wanna watch strawberry panic so i can bash it
May 13, 2011 5:43 PM

Nov 2010
Gave TTGL a second chance - didn't particularly like the first few episodes - and am soooo glad I did. It's now one of my favorite series.

Gave Monster a second chance, and remained bored. I'm considering giving it a third chance... but after I've finished everything else I want to watch, first.
May 13, 2011 5:53 PM

Apr 2011
One Piece : It takes A LOT of time to adapt to silliness and weirdness of One Piece; especially the art style and the stupid character design, but once you do, you'll forget it's a kids show (and don't let the elitist tell you it's not, it is but it doesn't stop it for being great). I wasn't sure first but now I understand why One Piece is the most popular thing ever.
May 13, 2011 7:04 PM
Jul 2018
Oh, I've got a few of those:

Gankutsuou: The first time I watched an episode of this, I had a bad headache and... yeah, it didn't exactly help there. Oddly enough, I loved the art when I gave it a second try. I'm sure it was just my way of telling myself to wait and make it my hundredth anime. *nods*

Higurashi- I guess I didn't exactly give the anime a second chance, but I read a volume of the manga and wasn't exactly impressed. Then the summer anime season started and I wanted to check out Umineko, so I gave the series another go and loved it. (And wound up disliking the Umineko anime too. Go figure.)

The Tatami Galaxy- I watched 5 minutes when it came out, saw all that text fly past me on the screen, closed the window of the video player I had it open on, and didn't look back. Then I decided to watch it 6 months later and liked it.

Kara no Kyoukai- I hated the plot of the first movie the first time I watched it. Hated it. Then I rewatched it a year later along with the other movies and decided it wasn't all that bad. It still took until the third movie for me to get into it, though.
May 13, 2011 8:23 PM

Aug 2010
jpem said:
now i wanna watch strawberry panic so i can bash it

Jeez, look at all the hating at this show. The only gripe I had with it is who got with who. I might just put it on my favorites just because of this, haha.

Oh, after reading someone else post I realized I also gave To Aru Majutsu no Index (first season) two tries, don't know why I stopped the first time.
May 13, 2011 11:49 PM

May 2009
I remember I dropped Aria, Evangelion, Code Geass, and I'm sure plenty of others too, for years. Many of them turned out to be and still are favorites of mine, with Aria being my absolute top favorite. Funny how that works, eh?
May 14, 2011 12:18 AM

May 2010
bleach,the fillars made me suicidal but i hanged in there and i found i to B aMAIZEING!!!
May 18, 2011 1:47 AM

Mar 2010
Eureka Seven

At first I dropped it at about episode 13, but my friends told me it was good and all, and I am still amazed i was able to go through the entire anime since it was sooo boring
May 18, 2011 2:19 AM

Dec 2008
Code Geass. I was about to drop it, but since episode 9, I thought it's a good anime.
But in any case, I am always give a second chance for animes before I drop or continue...

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
May 18, 2011 2:49 AM

Jul 2010
Bokura ga Ita.

Watched the first ep and just wrote it off as a typical shoujo anime. Then when I was stuck on what to watch next, remembered Bokura ga Ita. Ended up being addicted to it.
At least it wasn’t predictable.
May 18, 2011 3:29 AM

Sep 2007
.hack//sign

I managed to make it through two episodes before dropping it. Well, people kept ranting about how good it was, so I tried watching it again about 6 months later. Made it 4 episodes in that time.

I just have a really hard time watching something with a nearly silent protagonist.
May 18, 2011 7:03 AM

Dec 2009
Durarara!.When I watched the first few episodes, I thought that it's boring and want to drop it. But after my best friend told me about the details about this anime, I decided to pick it up again. And it turns out to be a pretty good anime.
NelieiMay 18, 2011 12:08 PM

May 18, 2011 7:19 AM

May 2011
I gave up on Code Geass, I'm just not into mechas, but after seeing a lot of comparations with Death Note, about the intelectual challenge and stuff I decided to give it a go. And until now, I'm loving it ^^. There must be a few more examples, but I can't think of anyone right now...
May 18, 2011 7:19 AM
May 2011
Kuroshitsuji for me. I hated it at first, thinking it was really creepy and weird (which it still is), but it managed to get a place in my heart. :)
May 18, 2011 9:32 AM
Apr 2011
Hayate no gotoku, at first it seemed boring and weird but not that I'm watching it again it's just awesome.
May 18, 2011 2:03 PM

Mar 2011
Full Metal Panic. At first i found it to be generic and boring so i dropped it. But i decided to watch it again, this time to the end. I found it to be a little better but i was not a fan of it.
May 18, 2011 2:09 PM

Feb 2011
well about a year ago i tried to watch loveless but stopped watching it at that scene. if you've watched it you know what that scene it. i didn't expect it to become shounen ai so fast. but anyways getting to the point i tried watching it again and at the scene i stopped watching. somethings shouldn't get second chances. to each his own i guess
May 18, 2011 2:26 PM

Jan 2010
The perfect example for me is Gintama. I started watching it 2 or 3 years ago but dropped after few episodes, then last year I gave it the second chance and absolutely loved it (it's even on my favorites list now ^^)

Though, I have more of the I'll-watch-it-later animes and pretty much the whole "on-hold" list are those waiting for the second or third chance XD

...particularly problematic for me is D.Gray-man, it's having a third chance now as it is currently on my "watching" list..but I honestly don't know if I will ever be able to finish all those 100-something episodes...

edit: how could i forget Suzumiya Haruhi...I tried watching it at least 4 times but only once came past the second episode...now i'm stuck at 5 ep. and don't feel like watching more of it...
Iriya28May 18, 2011 2:32 PM
May 18, 2011 3:11 PM

Jun 2009
I recently went back to Heatguy J. I was totally uninterested the first time, but I'm kinda digging it this time.
Well one thing I've learned from this experience, is that a princess is still a princesss even when she is naked.

May 18, 2011 3:59 PM

Dec 2010
I think Elfen Lied is the only anime I gave a second chance. I've seen parts of it a long time ago. After finishing it can't say I wasn't entertained but it wasn't that good.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

59 by Saiunknown »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

50 by Phloup »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 50 minutes ago

8 by ToG25thBaam »»
5 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

17 by kizumi91 »»
6 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

61 by Saiunknown »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.