Forum Settings
Forums

Worst Anime Reccomendations You've Seen On Reccomendation Pages

New
Apr 20, 2011 11:31 AM

Oct 2009
So, if you're like me, before posting in the forum looking for anime, you probably go to the page of your series you like and look at the reccomendations people have made about supposedly similiar shows. Maybe it's just me but I found half the stuff(especially when it comes to popular anime) that is reccomend is nothing like the series you watched.

For example:

Behold- The trainwreck that is Inuyasha's reccomendation list:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/249/InuYasha/userrecs
1. Fushigi Yugi-Lol. Wut? I've seen both. The only thing fantasy about Fushigi is that the girl travels back in time and the characters have superpowers. Inuyasha is full of fantasy. Also, Inuyasha is full of action. Fushigi is disgustly shojo and boring.

2. Ranma 1/2- Haven't seen it,but the only similiarity from the summary to me seems to be that its written by the same mangaka.

3.Bleach- *face palms* This is by far one of the worst of all the reccomendations. Bleach is a decent show,but it is definitely nothing like Inuyasha in spite of the fact that it has so many reccomendations. The only similiarity are that both are long shonen series with grumpy main characters who carry gaint swords. That's hardly enough similiarity to compare one to the other.

4. Rurouni Kenshin- Um, whose idea was it that a historical drama about an assasin is anything like a supernatural fantasy? 0___0 Perhaps, even worse of a reccomendation than Bleach because atleast Bleach is somewhat supernatural.

5. Chrono Crusade- half religious drama(if not parody) show, half horror demon show, does not equal supernatural fantasy,comedy, romance. Also, Chrono is a western demon, like a demon from Hell,while the demons in Inuyasha are yokai, nature spirits of Shinto and Buddhist mythology, which are a completely different things.

6.Tsubasa Chronicle- Way too shojo compared to Inuyasha. Also, only similiarity is romance and general fantasy( elements of alot of anime) and the fact that they collect things.

7.Escaflowne- Sorry,but Inuyasha is nothing near a mecha.

8. D.N. Angel-A kid turning into an alterego in the modern day and stealing stuff is not like Inuyasha.

9. Sailor Moon- Wow. Didn't know that a eye-burning shojo show for little girls was like Inuyasha. 0__0 No people. Just no.

10. Jyu Oh Sei- a sci-fi futuristic anime is so like Inuyasha(sarcastic)

11.Full Metal Alchemist- Oh boy alchemy! There's alot of that in Inuyasha(more sarcasticness.)

12.Full Metal Panic- How is a military comedy anything like a supernatural fantasy?

13.Cowboy Bebop-Lmao. I was wrong. This is the worst reccomendation on the list. It's a good series,but it's definitely absolutely nothing like Inuyasha at all. It's a sci-fi futurisitic outerspace thing.

14. Lyrical Nanoha- Just because they collect jewels doesn't make it like Inuyasha. The look of the show just screams extreme shojo and a show targeted for really young kids.

15.Friuts Basket- One of my favorite anime,but still nothing like Inuyasha. Only similairity is part-human, part-animal people. It's definitely way too shojo compared to Inuyasha and it's not set in that much of a fantasy world.

16. Naruto- Oh. I get it. Cause they're both long shonen anime where people fight. Right? That's so similiar. *rolls eyes*

The shows on this list that should acutally be on it:
1.Otome Youkai Zakuro - heavily based on yokai and supernatural fantasy like Inuyasha.

2.Nurarihyon no Mago-same as above.

3.Juuni Kokuki- lots of fantasy revolving around asian mythology, although in the case of this one, it's heavily based on Taoism,while Inuyasha is based on Buddhism and Shinto mythology.

4.Amatsuki-both historical supernatural fantasies.

5.Kekkaishi- both are supernatural fantasies with comedy and romance elements and yokai-like creatures.

6.Tactics- supernatural fantasy based around yokai.

7.Yu Yu Hakusho-both supernatural fantasy heavily based around yokai.

8. Ushio to Tora-alot shorter,but has alot of supernatural/ mythology/ yokai-based elements to it like Inuyasha.

9.Shonen Onmyouji- supernatural fantasy with yokai like creatures.

10. Spirited Away- extremely supernatural fantasy.

Other stuff on the reccomendation I haven't seen enough to make a decent judgement about yet,but this is my list of things that should be on the reccomendation list,but aren't:
1.xxxholic- awesome supernatural fantasy with yokai fighting although it's more episodic than Inuyasha.

2.almost anything studio ghibli(Pom Poko, The Cat Returns, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Monoke) because they all involve supernatural nature spirits and/or yokai.

3.Haunted Junction-supernatural fantasy/comedy with yokai.

4.Kamichu!- supernatural asian mythology-based fantasy/comedy.

You're turn to pick apart a reccomendation page. ;)

(I'll do this for my other favorite anime later. )
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 20, 2011 11:33 AM

Aug 2010
SZS getting linked to Welcome To The NHK!. -.-
Apr 20, 2011 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
KeiranShikari said:
SZS getting linked to Welcome To The NHK!. -.-

both are dark comedies. don't see whats wrong there.
Apr 20, 2011 11:38 AM

Dec 2009
This thread getting linked to giving a shit.
Your favorite anime is shit.
Apr 20, 2011 11:40 AM

Aug 2010
fantastic said:
This thread getting linked to giving a shit.

This response getting linked to giving..... yeah.
Apr 20, 2011 11:41 AM

May 2010
http://myanimelist.net/anime/820/Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes/userrecs

Legend of the Galactic Heroes getting linked to a piece of garbage like GunBuster
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 20, 2011 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
also @ OP themes in an anime dont need to be the same for them to be similiar. if you honestly think inuyasha is that much different from other long battle shounens then your an idiot.
Apr 20, 2011 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
A common one I see is Bakuman to Death Note (in fact it's the highest recommended between the two.) Aside from the author and art style (and the odd in-joke here and there) the shows are NOTHING alike. I mean sure people want to read/watch shows by creators they know and like, but that's what the "people" pages are for...
Apr 20, 2011 11:52 AM

Feb 2010
Nanoha A's and Umi Monogatari.

Aside from the romantic friendship and magic, these two are nothing alike.

And Baccano! with One Piece.

Yeah.
Apr 20, 2011 12:01 PM

Oct 2009
jpem said:
also @ OP themes in an anime dont need to be the same for them to be similiar. if you honestly think inuyasha is that much different from other long battle shounens then your an idiot.

Many shows have the same basic theme. There are thousands of battle shonens,but all thousands of those shows aren't similiar. The bare minimum genre type of fantasy, shonen, battlling, etc. does not count as a similiarity. Making this comment is like saying all shojo about school kids are similiar,even when some have lots of fantasy and others have none, some can be comedy and others drama or tragedy,etc.
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
Apr 20, 2011 12:01 PM

Nov 2008
Confucius said:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9756/Mahou_Shoujo_Madoka%E2%98%85Magica/userrecs

Madoka Magica getting linked to a piece of garbage like Nanatsuiro Drops
Fixed.

The rec in question is pretty terrible in its own right
Both about magical girls, and have both a cute animal in it.
Kyuubey is cute now? Well, I think that rec was made early on, so somebody could have been deceived if they were blind to the Faust references, assuming they even know what Faust is.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 20, 2011 12:46 PM

Apr 2010
caninesrock said:
7.Escaflowne- Sorry,but Inuyasha is nothing near a mecha.

But it is near to a combination of shonen and shojo set in a fantastical reality with pretty guys and romantic elements, right?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/165/RahXephon/userrecs

Pretty incisive, yup, I can get behind these, most of these make sense-

Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
Another Mecha ANime against 2 warring factions. One for good one for bad. Better storyline than code geass IMO

...uh okay

Well that's technically true but I don't really think the two are linked. In the slightest.
Apr 20, 2011 12:48 PM
Jul 2010
All this recommendation is piece of sh%^ in my opinion, you can relate anime to any other anime and whole recommendation depends on person, for example one person's view can be different from another so as I said this recommendation is worthless unless both anime have similar genres, otherwise I can recommend my pee and say it has same color as your face...

Like.Here is anime about romance, comedy bla bla bla..Here is another anime, about horror or whatever bla bla bla, I recommend it to you because they have similar FEEEEEEL , drawing is the SAMEEEEE , charaters both look CUUUTE , they both were made by the same AUTHOOR and I could go one forever,both anime are same because they have same openings(they're relating anime to other anime, without consideration that other people don't give a shit about your fuc**ng feel, opening or whatever) people should make anime recommendations only if genres are exact same, otherwise I can say my sh&t smells same as your face and here I related my sh^t to your face.I could even more bit&h about reviews, but that's another story.
Apr 20, 2011 12:56 PM

Oct 2009
@Lightyear: You made me Lmao so hard. XD

Yeah, I agree sort of, though not about the pee and poo parts, just the genre parts. XD

For example, if something's mainly a supernatural fantasy with some romantic comedy, don't reccomend a completely realistic romantic comedy show about a bunch of kids and high school and stuff. I like my reccomendation to have the same subgenre atleast and genre goes far behind shonen/shojo, etc. Don't give me a shojo if my show is shonen. But also, don't give me a realistic shonen anime if my show is fantasy,and so on. Don't give me a slice of life show just becuase both have cute creatures in them,etc.
Apr 20, 2011 1:36 PM

Jan 2008
caninesrock said:
The look of the show just screams extreme shojo and a show targeted for really young kids.

-> Implying InuYasha is not targeted at young kids
Apr 20, 2011 1:47 PM
Oct 2010
Oh come on, the recs section is fun precisely because of the 'broken symmetries'. Even if some recs are silly, there may be some similarities between two anime that may lie pretty deep and cannot be captured by genre or character similarity. I think it is very nice that these recs are generated by humans, who can make much more colorful (and yes, sometimes silly) connections than automated algorithms.

Confucius, the OP is asking for recommendations that fail because the similarities justifying them are extremely superficial compared to the differences, not because of any discrepancy in how 'good' or 'bad' the recommended anime is. If you want to argue against Top wo Nerae as a rec for LoGH, you need to demonstrate how the differences overwhelm the similarities, not how they compare in terms of quality. (Yes, I am spiteful because I like Top wo nerae :) )

Besides, the 'colorful' recs create some amusing games; for example, how many jumps do you need to go from LoGH to K-ON through recs? I can do it in five steps and i am pretty sure there is a shorter path. So come on, don't complain, have fun!
Apr 20, 2011 2:15 PM

Nov 2010
Zero no Tsukaima
[/topic]

this first came to my atention on animeseason xD god those people recomend this to EVERYTHING... (even here on mal it's bad)
Apr 20, 2011 2:16 PM

Jun 2009
The recommendation function is inherently broken. The stupidity of individual users pales in comparison to the way that the most popular "noob" anime (CG, DN, EL, etc) always end up getting rec'd to every other anime regardless of similarity. The recommendation feature was never meant to be taken seriously.

Besides, I look on OP's recommendation page; see that almost half of the recs he mentioned were also ones that he made himself: this thread is obviously complete bollocks.

Apr 20, 2011 3:32 PM

Jul 2008
Someone the other day recommended Kaiji and Death Note on the basis that they have a similar story. Err... no they don't. I can see how they they can relate to each other, but their stories are not even remotely similar.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 20, 2011 3:37 PM

Sep 2010
how about these:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/taj69/recommendations

must be a troll
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2011 3:48 PM

Oct 2009
DrHouse said:
Besides, I look on OP's recommendation page; see that almost half of the recs he mentioned were also ones that he made himself: this thread is obviously complete bollocks.

What are you talking about? The only one I have on the list of things I mentioned aobout being on the Inuyasha reccomendation was Fushigi Yugi and I only put a reccomendation on it to let people know that it wasn't really similiar to Inuyasha that much. I don't know where you learned math,but 1 is not half of 16.

@Seasonreaper
I never said it wasn't,but Inuyasha is for 10 and older while Lyrical Nanoha looks like it was marketed towards 5 year olds. There's a big difference between shows for 10 year olds(equailent of things like Ben 10, Rugrats, etc. on American tv) and things for 5 year olds(things like My Little Pony and the like on American tv).
Apr 20, 2011 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
caninesrock said:
DrHouse said:

What are you talking about? The only one I have on the list of things I mentioned aobout being on the Inuyasha reccomendation was Fushigi Yugi and I only put a reccomendation on it to let people know that it wasn't really similiar to Inuyasha that much. I don't know where you learned math,but 1 is not half of 16.

@Seasonreaper
I never said it wasn't,but Inuyasha is for 10 and older while Lyrical Nanoha looks like it was marketed towards 5 year olds. There's a big difference between shows for 10 year olds(equailent of things like Ben 10, Rugrats, etc. on American tv) and things for 5 year olds(things like My Little Pony and the like on American tv).

stop being an ignorant fuck. nanoha is more of an action shounen. being about magical girls doesnt make it for little kids.
Apr 20, 2011 3:59 PM

Mar 2009
The ones which say something like "If you like -anime title- you should watch -another title- because they take place in school".
Apr 20, 2011 4:27 PM

Mar 2009
Slightly off topic - Mahou Shoujo Makoka * Magica, Lyrical Nanoha, and Princess Tutu are all "sneeky" and cannot be judged by what they look like.

I love the recommendations feature. Most of the time it is quite helpful but I do laugh at times at what some folk deem "similar." It is a viable tool IF you take the time to read the reviews and not just one review but several if they are available. It also helps to consider what it is about a series you are looking to replicate. InuYasha is a combination of: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Demons, Fantasy, Magic, Romance, Shounen, Supernatural. That combination can give you anything from Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, to Kekkaishim, to Chrono Crusade, to Saiyuki.

Actually, I see Fushigi Yuugi, Harukanaru Toki no Naka d, Escaflowne, Amatsuki, Juuni Kokuki, and Fire Tripper (pretty lame) to have the most in common with InuYasha but none of them are just like it. Why would you want them to be?

I see D.Gray-man, Zinki, D.N. Angel, Shugo Chara!, Skip Beat!, Cowboy Bebop and . . . .

Wait a minute! She does have a point. The only thing some of these have in common with InuYasha is the fact that they are anime!!!!
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Apr 20, 2011 4:34 PM

Jun 2009
I'm pretty sure that Nanoha most definitely isn't for little kids. Actually watch the show before you make that judgment.

Anyway, I personally rarely use the recommendation feature because, honestly, I keep forgetting about it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 20, 2011 4:43 PM

Oct 2009
The worst recommendations are those that recommend sequels with the description "it's a sequel".

I don't really pay much attention to recommendations, though.
Apr 20, 2011 5:05 PM

Oct 2009
@jpem: geesh. Don't get your panties in a bunch. You don't see me cursing out people just because they don't like an anime I like. 0_0

@lisnoire:Yeah, I agree with Amatsuki, Juuni Kokuki, and Fire Tripper being similiar to Inuyasha and I think they do belong on the list. I'm not so sure about Escaflowne or Fushigi Yugi, although I think Fushigi Yugi is the more similiar to Inuyasha of those two.

And now for the Wolf's Rain reccomendation list:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/202/Wolfs_Rain/userrecs
1.Cowboy Bebop- Seriously. They are only similiar because the same animator made them. Cowboy Bebop is a futuristic space adventure series with alot of comedy. And Wolf's Rain is a postacpocylic(or however you spell it) fantasy,tradegy,drama thing with little to no comedy.

2.Escaflowne- Wolf's Rain is not mecha.

3.One Piece- is an action comedy about pirates. Wolf's Rain is a tragic drama about wolves in human form.

4.Spice and Wolf- Spice and Wolf talks about economics all the time and has little action. Wolf's Rain is full of violence and action. Spice and Wolf is also not postacolycapse like Wolf's Rain.

5.Chrno Crusade- Ok. They both have simiiar episode count and they both have dark themes,but there are alot of 20-30 episode long animes with dark themes. That doesn't make them simiiar.

6.The Hakkenden- The reccomendor does have a tiny bit of a point,but Hakkenden is a historical drama while Wolf's Rain is... well I already said what it is in comments before this.

7.Romeo x Juliet- How is Wolf's Rain anything like Shakepeare's romance besides the fact that both stories are depressing tragedies, which can be said of alot of anime series?

8. Ginga Nargeboshi Gin- They're both about canines,but that's about it.

Ones that belong on the list:
1.Jyu Oh Sei,though not exactly like Wolf's Rain, definately screamed sci-fi acolopyalse tragedy full of action and violence to me.

2.Ginga Densetsu Weed- I agree with this somewhat. Both are about canines looking for a sort of paradise, though GDW isn't really that much fantasy as Wolf's Rain is.

3.Princess Monoke- I have to admit one of the reccomendations of this was by me. They both have dark themes,fantasy, and doom of nature and/or society elements that revolve around animals, particularly wolves.

4. Pom Poko-This reccomendation was made by me so you could say I'm baised. They're both about animals who have to disguise themselves as humans in order to survive in human society because their habitat was destroyed.

Reccomendations I Made a while back that I feel like an idiot for making:
1.Fruits Basket-only simialrity is transforming animals.
2.Juuni Kokuki-same as above.
3.Chirin No Suzu-only similiarity is that both involve wolves.
4.Arashi no Yoru ni -same as above.
caninesrockApr 20, 2011 5:08 PM
Apr 20, 2011 5:05 PM

Mar 2010
http://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi/userrecs

Comparing Mushishi with Naruto... You can't get worst than that.
¯l_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 20, 2011 5:06 PM

Feb 2011
Baccano/ Durarara
Are the same author, but are very different things.
Apr 20, 2011 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
i couldn't give a damn if you hate it. but your judging something without even knowing anything about it.
Apr 20, 2011 5:12 PM

Oct 2009
jpem said:
i couldn't give a damn if you hate it. but your judging something without even knowing anything about it.

Ok. Fine. Sorry. I see now that it's pg-13. I shouldn't have assumed it was for little kids just becuase the description said it was about an elementary school kid who travels around with a talking ferret. It still doesn't look like something I'd be interested in though and I don't think most people who are into Inuyasha would like it either because it still doesn't seem to be that simiiar besides the fact that it has action and collecting jewels.
Apr 20, 2011 5:15 PM

Nov 2010
jpem said:
stop being an ignorant fuck. nanoha is more of an action shounen. being about magical girls doesnt make it for little kids.

had the same tought (except for calling you a fuck haha)

ok yes i also tought nanoha was going to be a girly kiddy toon but it actualy became one of my favorit anime's and because of nanoha i started watching madoka (and everybody in a right mind who'd seen madoka won't let a 5 year old near it hahaha)

just saying.

even putting dragonball Z as a reference on nanoha would kinda make scense
Apr 20, 2011 5:27 PM

Oct 2009
kickthebucket said:
jpem said:

had the same tought (except for calling you a fuck haha)

ok yes i also tought nanoha was going to be a girly kiddy toon but it actualy became one of my favorit anime's and because of nanoha i started watching madoka (and everybody in a right mind who'd seen madoka won't let a 5 year old near it hahaha)

just saying.

even putting dragonball Z as a reference on nanoha would kinda make scense

You do have a point. I might try it if I run out of anime on my "must-see now list". It's not so much the opinion about me being ignorant that I mind,since I am ignorant about this series because I haven't seen it. I appreciate the fact that you made your point in a mature, polite way unlike a certian someone here.
Apr 20, 2011 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
almost all my dropped animes came straight from recs

couldnt finish them...and i even do a "3 ep IN or OUT" rule. some of them were tough to get to 3... lol
Apr 20, 2011 6:09 PM

Oct 2009
restore said:
almost all my dropped animes came straight from recs

couldnt finish them...and i even do a "3 ep IN or OUT" rule. some of them were tough to get to 3... lol

same here,which is why I made this topic. Although, I usually try to get to atleast the 4th episode before I drop something,but sometimes I hate something so much that I just can't get that far.

Anyway, now for Kekkaishi's reccomendation list:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1606/Kekkaishi/userrecs

1. Bleach- they are remotely similiar,but the "ghosts"/"spirits" in Bleach are a completely different sytle of ghosts/spirits that are in Kekkaishi.

2. Full Metal Alchemist- Only similarity is that they both have some action in them.

3. One Piece- an comedy-action/adventure show about pirates is nothing like a supernatural fantasy.

4. D.N. Angel- A boy who essentially has personality disorder that turns him into a theif in a romantic comedy is nothing like a supernatural fantasy.

5.Naruto-Both are shown and both air on cartoon network,but that's about it. There's not much supernatural about ninjas.

Shows that actually belong on the list:

1.Shounen Onmyouji-both have kids that can see spirits

2.Nurarihyon no Mago-both revolve around spirits somewhat.

3.Inuyasha-both are supernatural fantasy with animal-like spirits.

4.Tactics-Both are about exercising spirits.

5.Yu Yu Hakusho-both involve spirits and other supernatural aspects.

6.Natsume Yuujinchou-both have a teenage boy who can see spirits.

The others on the list I don't know about yet because I haven't seen much of them.

Things that are not on the list but should be:
1. xxxholic-about a teenage boy who can see/ fights spirits

2. Haunted Junction- about school kids who fight spirits and other supernatural beings

3.Corpse Princess-Both series deal with the dead staying behind in the land of the living because they can't move on because of something bothering them.

4. Ushio and Tora-both involve a boy that can see spirits that other people can't see.
caninesrockApr 20, 2011 6:14 PM
Apr 20, 2011 7:50 PM

May 2008
Most of these are subjective, and despite being amusing may have some merit to other users. There's a relatively young age bias on mal and inexperienced users tend to put down the first opinion that comes to mind. You may find it amusing but humiliating them is not productive.

For those truly horrible ones you can use a report link, but please don't make unnecessary work for the mods.

I am a banana.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 2 hours ago

55 by TheMechaManiac »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

17 by Shipfan66 »»
8 minutes ago

» Categorize your Profile Favorite Characters as sadist, masochist, or switch

IpreferEcchi - 11 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

23 by epidemia78 »»
18 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by epidemia78 »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.