Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 11, 2011 1:02 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yuma sucks at dueling, who in their right mind says I set one trap card face down? It's an invitation for a counter strategy. For people familiar with the series and/or the card game itself everyone says one card face down or I set a card face down then end their turn and never reveal what kind of card was set. He also had some trap cards which he should have placed face down instead of leaving his monster open to attack on the first turn. He also seems to bullied around by everyone even his own friend. The exceed summon has great visuals and this can be an ok series since the spirit is assisting Yuma, it's still awkward that the main character completely sucks on his own.

Apr 11, 2011 2:04 PM

Jul 2009
Not bad for a first episode, actually enjoyed it , the En-visualizer (or w/e they were called) were pretty cool (tho looked like those glasses from Starforce games)
Exeed summons were cool, hopefully the protagonist will become more experienced in dueling than he is now , i mean c'mon saying out loud that you placed a Trap card xD?!
Apr 11, 2011 3:28 PM

Sep 2007
It's good to gave a bad duellist. XD
Apr 11, 2011 5:16 PM

Oct 2009
It's already bad enough having such a hot-headed character like Jayden. And on top of that, he can't even play the game for crap. Yugi was pretty good (Yami was sometimes better), Jayden knew how to play I guessm and Yusei was really smart. This Yuuma kid is just complete dumb. I too shall watch a few more episodes before giving it up.

Another Millennium item ftw T.T"
Apr 11, 2011 5:17 PM
Apr 2011
The episode was ok but, Yuma Needs more experience for the next duels. :P
Apr 11, 2011 8:40 PM

Apr 2008
I... actually really enjoyed this. I'm pleasantly surprised.

I think the scouter/eyepiece things (or whatever they're called, lol) are pretty cool. Gives the monsters a bit more presence.

And yeah Yuuma is terrible. XD But I guess that gives him more room to grown and develop.
Apr 12, 2011 12:13 AM

May 2008
I think it a good think if the main character is a amature like Aichi in vanguard.I hate when the main character win all time. So i want to see Yuma when he lost 2 time more..
Apr 12, 2011 5:30 AM
Mar 2011
it looks like you watched it in english? where did you do it?, and i like it that he starts as an amature, wich would only mean this season will be long, he won't be fighting the best in the beginning, that will be saved for later^^
Apr 12, 2011 4:26 PM
Jun 2009
I know it's only the first episode, but this feels like GX all over again, which I hated. Imo, the character design sucks, the opening is terrible, and the story seems really stupid. I hope this ends really quickly and they make a new series.
Apr 12, 2011 4:42 PM

Sep 2010
Lets all not forget that Yugi Muto also sucked at dueling. It was Yami who did most of the dueling while Yugi learned from him. In 5d's Yusei was just too perfect, always calm and WAY too smart, and not very funny, but I loved him anyway. A character that develops thoughout the story is just as good if not better.

I honestly don't mind a more light hearted and humoruous storyline either. It also looks like Astral is going to be Yuma's "Yami". So I am greatly looking forward to this series.
Apr 12, 2011 4:48 PM

Apr 2011
There's a new one?!

Whendidthishappen????.gif
Apr 12, 2011 6:52 PM

Nov 2006
Just finished watching the RAW.

- Literally copies other anime/previous YGO drama into this horribly.
- Horrible Character Designs.
- More BS duel battles with predictable bans on the real TCG.

Please 2ch/Japan/Otaku... please do something about this.

This is bad. This is freaking HORRIBLE. I've never hated an anime so much as this. It MUST get cancelled.
Apr 12, 2011 9:38 PM

Dec 2009
I just watched it raw with commentary on youtube, and the bits that I heard when the commenters weren't talking were okay. The voices seemed waaay to deep for 13 year olds though, especially Shark's voice. The character design was also kind of.... weird. I mean, I don't think there's been a single character so far that only has one shade of color in their hair.....
Anyways, I was laughing too much from the commentary to really hear what they were saying in the anime, but I understood most of what was happening. The one thing the commenters kept repeating was a joke about Yuma's catchphrase or whatever. They thought it was blow my bing. xD I guess I'll rewatch it for the full experience, if/when the subs come out. >.>
Apr 13, 2011 7:29 AM

Apr 2011
Okay so I actually watched it raw yesterday, and I loved it. It felt like they were trying to get back to what they had in duel monsters. I approve, but I hope they are going to develope the characters more.

I still miss Seto and Jou.
Apr 13, 2011 11:25 AM
Nov 2009
This will not be better than 5D's. RIP
Apr 13, 2011 11:37 AM

Nov 2008
RADRyanD said:

It was obvious from the beginning and GX is better than Zexal.

Apr 13, 2011 11:44 AM

Sep 2010
Hoppy said:

Wow, and you can tell that from just ONE episode, Impressive.
Apr 13, 2011 11:52 AM
Nov 2009
Hoppy said:
RADRyanD said:

I know it is obvious. It's sad though that even what you say about it being worse than GX is probably going to be true.
Apr 13, 2011 12:02 PM
Mar 2011
and what was so bad about gx? only because of the hyper-mode main character?
Apr 13, 2011 2:53 PM

Feb 2011
Well, I for one liked the first episode of Zexal. A lot.
I liked that it brought about a return to the altar ego character, which was the certain something that was missing from GX and (the one I never watched) 5Ds.
It seems to me like a sort of a blend of GX and the original series, but I certainly wouldn't fault it for that. Good writers recycle the best ideas. And if Yu-Gi-Oh! were about GOOD duelists, that would assume too much intelligence on the part of the viewer (most of whom are younger children.)
If you lived in your computer, you'd be home already.
Apr 13, 2011 4:12 PM

Sep 2010
lol, finally able to watch it since the sub is out, and I have to say it was pretty awesome in my opinion. My favorite points

-New alter ego, Just like Yugi had Yami, Yuma will now have Astral! I love alter egos

-New digital effects, I really love the new effects that take place when a duel starts, like they are in a computer : )

-Main character is weak, this leaves alot of room for development and plus the alter ego will appear professional by comparison. Jaden and Yusei was always pros, so had like no development except for getting new cards.

-Exceed Summon, looks very nice and those units it creates is probably going to be the basis for alot of special effects later on.

Not sure why SO many people are hating on it, but whatever- seems pretty awesome to me ^_^

Only thing I don't like is Yuma's catchprase. Jaden's "Get your Game On!" was a whole lot catchier than "I am Pop Flying!", hope thats a translation error ; )
Apr 13, 2011 4:34 PM
Jun 2009
Kittyman, where's the sub?
Apr 13, 2011 4:38 PM

Jul 2008
Kittyman said:
Lets all not forget that Yugi Muto also sucked at dueling. It was Yami who did most of the dueling while Yugi learned from him. In 5d's Yusei was just too perfect, always calm and WAY too smart, and not very funny, but I loved him anyway. A character that develops thoughout the story is just as good if not better.

This! 5Ds was extremely predictable, IMO, and I'm happy to see a different protagonist! I love Yuma's hyperactive personality, and this season seems to draw out a lot of parallels to the first. I'm excited to see what direction it takes.

Also, those cleaning robots were awesome.
Apr 13, 2011 4:39 PM

Sep 2010
liamoflegends said:

Gogoanime is where I watch it at, they probably get it from somewhere else. Hope you enjoy it : )
Apr 13, 2011 4:41 PM
Jun 2009
Kittyman said:
liamoflegends said:

Gogoanime is where I watch it at, they probably get it from somewhere else. Hope you enjoy it : )

Ah thanks a lot! I wish there was a torrent for it though ;_;
Apr 13, 2011 5:20 PM

Jul 2009
Aaaargh I hate when they leave it open like that. Why did the naked shota appear right before the episode finished?! They could've at least finished the duel ;-;

Anyways, it looks interesting and all but I'm not liking Yuma's catch phrase or Shark's voice. Yuma's voice sounded off at the start but he kinda grew into it, hopefully Shark's does the same.
Apr 13, 2011 6:24 PM
Oct 2008
I just finished watching this episode out of boredom and the only thing which impressed me is the animation. So far I am disappointed with all the main characters in this series, they are nothing compared to the 5Ds main characters.

This series is clearly meant to target only younger audience
Apr 13, 2011 6:34 PM

Apr 2011
TypeOfCicada said:
Well, I for one liked the first episode of Zexal. A lot.
I liked that it brought about a return to the altar ego character, which was the certain something that was missing from GX and (the one I never watched) 5Ds.
It seems to me like a sort of a blend of GX and the original series, but I certainly wouldn't fault it for that. Good writers recycle the best ideas. And if Yu-Gi-Oh! were about GOOD duelists, that would assume too much intelligence on the part of the viewer (most of whom are younger children.)

THANKYOU!

I couldn't find a reason to explain why I liked it.
Apr 13, 2011 7:34 PM

Jul 2009
I personally thought the episode had ups and downs:

what i personally liked:

-protagonist is a crappy duelist
-d visors and the duel system. brings virtual reality to a new level
-of course the advent of excess summon
-kotori is adorable

what i personally didnt like
-even as a disaster dragon user, the first antagonist character would have some boss dragon card.
-yuma stating that he was setting a trap card
-big shift in ambiance compared to faivudizu. it would be nice if there was at least some cameo apperance that links the series(like when yami appeared in gx in the beginning to give judai winged kuriboh)

thats what i can think of at the point
If your going to complain that Yu-Gi-Oh! Mangas are on the top NY times manga best sellers, you must not realize how popular Card games are(as well as the fact that you get a free card).
Apr 14, 2011 12:30 AM

Jan 2011
This is good so far. Wonder why there are 5 morons that scored low on this.
I mean, this is new season guys, maybe we could try to enjoy the new change in mood and style!
Now in future they make duel is even more cool! With those scooter( uh, D-something?) that make everything looks realistic. Gonna rate this 9.

Now for this episode.
Yuma is already strong( in personality) from start. His habits aren't annoying and aren't kinda forced to fit in situation The heroine isn't a typical annoying girl like..wait, it would be a problem if I compare this to another anime so I will keep this point for myself.
And its okay if he suck at beginning. Everyone also suck at their first.
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Apr 14, 2011 12:46 AM

Mar 2011
I like the new elements added on the game but not the character design. About the story, we will see in the later episodes.

Apr 14, 2011 2:05 AM

Nov 2009
Zexal is obviously not better than all the Previous Yugioh Seasons. However I have a feeling I will like it. But it will be a letdown if they dont recall Ancient Egypt whatsoevers.
Apr 14, 2011 2:42 AM
Apr 2011
All I have so far is complaints, and I'm itching to just rant.
I really don't like the character designs at all. Why do they all have such shiny hair? And so far all the characters have either been excessively over weight, or just pure anorexic looking. I miss my 5D's characters who hard arms that didn't look like twigs, they could have done what GX did and put sleeves on the characters. I'm really not liking this 'pop flying' catchphrase(?) either, even 'get your game on' was better than this.

I'm sure everyone has been thinking it, but I'm just going to point it out anyway. Why is our female character severely flat chested? This kinda breaks the chain, don't you think? All of our love interests for our main characters had big breasts. ;-;

As for Astral, we haven't seen too much of him/her/it, but I would probably be happier if (1) he/she/it wore clothes, and (2) resembled a human being. But he/she/it hasn't had too much screen time, so I'm not going to judge yet.

For the story, it didn't seem too bad. The overall story with the key and the door wasn't too shabby. But the episode's story with the bully and his cronies stealing cards and whatnot, i felt like it was a real downgrade from 5D's.

The only thing that I liked about this first episode was the D-Gazer, and the extra attention on the duel field. I wish we hadn't started out with a complete novice as a main character though, because for the next few episodes all we're probably going to be seeing are "tutorial" based episodes on how to play the game.

I'm probably being too critical of this series, when we've only seen one episode. It might turn out to be good; afterall, look at 5D's, I was seriously against the concept of a trading card game on motorcycles, but 5D's was actually really enjoyable. But unless the characters put on weight, and the female character has a breast implant, I'm not going to be a big Zexal fan in the near future.
Iconic_Apr 14, 2011 2:47 AM
Apr 14, 2011 5:17 AM

Jan 2011
Iconic said:

I'm probably being too critical of this series, when we've only seen one episode.
Your critics got its point so it doesn't look like pointless critics.
Iconic said:
All of our love interests for our main characters had big breasts.
At least from beginning she isn't annoying like Anzu/Aki

EDIT: There is nothing in you anime/manga list dude. A newbie shouldn't be able to write a long argument( with good points of course).
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Apr 14, 2011 9:04 AM

Sep 2010
Iconic said:

I'm sure everyone has been thinking it, but I'm just going to point it out anyway. Why is our female character severely flat chested? This kinda breaks the chain, don't you think? All of our love interests for our main characters had big breasts. ;-;

This is the only point of yours I completely disagree with. Kotori looks like an awesome female love interest. And keep in mind this is the FIRST episode, Akiza did not appear in 5d's until episode 13, before her we had Luna/Ruka in episode 12.

Also I was never a huge fan of Tea from the original series, and I always hated Alexis Rose from Gx, not sure why but I just could not get to like her.

Don't know why everyone wants Yuma to be another Yusei
Apr 14, 2011 9:09 AM

Feb 2010
I am pleasantly surprised that there are plenty of YGO fans here because it always get bashed with the likes of Pokemon/Digimon. And you know these people loved it when they were younger.

I consider Zexal's Character Design the worst of the franchise, they stands out in an obnoxious manner. Yuma reminds me of Naruto, more than Judai, a hot-blooded deluded youngster with a silly catch phrase to boot. But I digress, the show was clearly targeting an younger crowd and hence common tropes are used. Animation was top-notched and the details paid to the battle system / world building was commendable.

Since it's the start of a new series, expect dummy guides and explanations along the way. GX and 5D kicks off with a gripping duel in the first episode, I wish the 2nd episode of Zexal can make up for its lackluster start. Personally, I think StarDust and Red Demon Dragon are more appealing than Zexal's trademark monster ability and appearance wise. Being an idiot, Yuma has lots of room for character development so it's not such a bad idea. The concern will be handling the duration he takes to mature, too long and it will turn off the audience, and pass the point of no redemption. I remember fondly the OST used in 5D and the original series, so this is an area I will look out for too.

In short, it's decent but decent enough to keep me going.
Apr 14, 2011 9:17 AM
Nov 2008
To me, it didn't seem like Yuma 'sucked' at duelling, he's just a newbie that doesn't really know much about it. He and his friends seem to be relatively new to the scene, they're only 13.

Yusei of 5Ds was introduced as an 18-year-old.
Jaden of GX was introduced as a 15-year-old.
Yugi of DM was introduced as a 16-year-old (first year of High School, I'm pretty sure).
Apr 14, 2011 9:37 AM

Sep 2007
Like some others, i liked this episode.
TYes ... But hey ... I love the hero.
I hope he lose some duels, not like Yusei. XD
Apr 14, 2011 2:21 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I can't even find the proper comments for this episode xD It's like I believe a little bit of everything that was already said . Too deep voices but idm (Shark <3) , the hair ... it used to be that only the main char had it or rare ones but now ... *shakes head* , still disagreeing with the fact the main char is so young T^T , characters were ... overly predictable ... but then again , it's yugioh , what can you expect ? Yuma is like Yugi but in a way worse situation since he can't even duel properly (Yugi DID know his stuff enough even though he rarely got a chance) and he gets another being that is gonna help him win duels . Well at least as it seems , it won't everything be in Astral's hands , Yuma should be making decisions too so we should actually see him with our own eyes developing and becoming better and Shark was like Kaiba x3 . All the mean stuff he does or say in a season , Shark did them in like an epi ! But I still like him the most in there !

Oh , also , the new system with the D-Gazer or what was it is pretty neat . Though I admit I'll miss how ppl were affected by illusionary winds and stuff but oh well !

Though what I don't like is well ... I guess this counts as a spoiler for the plot o-o (read it in wiki so yeah spoiler alert)

Well either way , it has a long way to show it's true potential . I ohpe they do it right and also not do it after 100 epis -.-

PS: Shark FTW ! xD
MaffyApr 14, 2011 2:24 PM
Apr 14, 2011 2:52 PM

Apr 2008
Eh, I hate the character designs for starters. Idk man...not liking this so far. I wish they'd bring back tribute summons. Screw the Exceed crap, just gimme Egyptian god summonings. *_*
Apr 14, 2011 5:23 PM

Nov 2009
It was interesting I'll give it that. I think I get the way Exceed monsters work now as well.

I still dont think it will be as good as 5Ds but it cant be worse than GX, it was dire.
Apr 14, 2011 5:46 PM

Sep 2008
I think it's the best yugioh we've had in ages. It's nowhere near the quality of the first series, but it seems to have made some steps back in the right direction. I'll stick around and see where it goes.

To clarify, I think the tone and wardrobes have been moved closer to something fitting for the series. I think bringing back the millenium items was a good idea. I like that they're giving the naive young guy a badass grown up alter ego again (though it looks like he's more a "voice in my head" type than a true alter-ego). Some of what I saw in the theme looked like we had some halfway decent villains to look forward to, though that's just speculation. Either way, with the character designs being what they are I think we can look forward to some cool villains this time. Their virtual reality get-up seems like an interesting change from the holograms and I can get behind that.

If I were to change something, I'd make the blue guy a legitimate alter-ego, and have the short guy go through inexplicable physical changes to match it a-la the original series, though hopefully this will turn out to be a minor complaint after I see what the alter ego blue guy is like and how they work. For all I know, having him as a voice in the head could lead to some cool cooperation and turn out to be better than a "Imma take over yo body till the fighting's done" type scenario. Other than that, I think this was a pretty solid start, and hopefully they won't fuck it up like they did the last two. I'm planning on putting more into this than I have their previous series, so I'm hoping for results.
GanglerApr 14, 2011 6:03 PM
Apr 14, 2011 6:36 PM
Mar 2010
First episode was pretty good, it's nice to get back to the "happy happy mood" of Yu-Gi-Oh! after 5D's (which had a dark storyline imo), it needs to get out of this whole "Heart of the card" stuff that has been happening since Yu-Gi-Oh!.

The digital dueling world is pretty cool. I would need to understand it a bit more to know what is with the whole "Exceed Summons" (At first, I thought they were Dark Synchro's from 5D's (Anyone remember them??))

I am a picky person when it comes to the LP and ATK counters and SFX in the show. They decided to bring back some of the SFX from 5D's which is pretty cool, but DAMN, is that ATK/LP counter thing hard to read at times, they should go back to the way that it was in 5D's (I like it ALOT btw)

I don't know if I will be following this the whole way through, I will probably make my decision after the first series
Apr 14, 2011 7:52 PM

Aug 2009
Gangler said:
I think it's the best yugioh we've had in ages

Lol
Apr 14, 2011 9:38 PM

Apr 2011
It was a good episode and the new exceed monster concept is cool.

So far I like the characters' personalities but not their designs. They look so abnormally proportioned compared to the other series. I wonder how adults would look like in this series compared to the kids.

I like the scouter thing that they used, it'll mean we get more monsters interacting with the environment-type action showing up.

The tone I get from the series is a mixture of GX and the original, the mystical aspect from the original and the everyday, cheery, school life vibe from GX. They're obviously targeting little kids with this, their definitely trying to get a new generation interested in yu-gi-oh.

Overall, good and can't wait for the next ep.
Apr 14, 2011 10:40 PM

Aug 2010
THe last yugioh i watched was the first lot with Yugi and Yami, this was certainly different.
Apr 15, 2011 1:20 AM

Sep 2008
SlashBlack said:
Gangler said:

Lol

To be fair, we've just finished seven years of some very bad Yugioh. That's not the complement it sounds like.
Apr 15, 2011 1:59 AM
Nov 2009
Gangler said:
SlashBlack said:
Gangler said:

Lol

To be fair, we've just finished seven years of some very bad Yugioh. That's not the complement it sounds like.

5D's was probably the best series of YGO we have had so far, even better than the original. I largely disagree.
Apr 15, 2011 2:26 AM

Sep 2008
RADRyanD said:
Gangler said:

5D's was probably the best series of YGO we have had so far, even better than the original. I largely disagree.

I felt it treated itself far too seriously. I want my badasses to almost be caricatures, and to, upon closer inspection, be almost flamboyant.

Seto Kaiba is genuinely badass, but also ridiculous enough that he's not unsuitable for the setting and he's ripe for parody. Admittedly I only watched the first fifteen or so episodes of 5d's, but all the characters seemed like they were taken out of entirely the wrong genre to me.

It's the same problem I have with much of modern Batman. Takes itself too seriously. As soon as they start expecting me to treat them seriously when they say "batarang", or want me to forget all the comical aspects of The Joker, the moment "The Dark Knight" ceases to be "The World's Greatest Detective", that's when it loses much of its' charm.

Anyway, not really interested in turning this into an off topic argument about another series. Derailing the conversation was not my intent. I'm just clarifying that when I say "Best yugioh in a while", this is from the perspective of someone who doesn't think we've has any good yugioh since the first series.

I dismissed the GX and 5d's pretty quickly though, so going back and giving each of them a more solid attempt is on my list of things to do.
Apr 15, 2011 2:56 AM

Apr 2010
RADRyanD said:
Gangler said:
SlashBlack said:
Gangler said:

Lol

I also agree. 5Ds is the best thing that has happened to Yu-Gi-Oh so far. Some of the best cards in the game came out of 5Ds with Synchro Summons, which is still the best summon in Yu-Gi-Oh so far, and my personal fav because I am a duelist myself. Also, the plot and characters in 5Ds was great compared to the others, the original ranks right up there next to it but 5Ds has a little bit more of a edge with 10 times the bad-ass characters and the riding duels. Zexal on the other hand is jsut weird to me being a huge fan of 5Ds. I hate going from a teen aimed Yu-Gi-Oh to a younger aimed one. And I don't like how the city in Zexal looks more cartoonish and abstract. Zexal is just "Bleh" to me right now and I hope it does get better but so far 5Ds is still my top Yu-Gi-Oh. Yuma kinda pisses me off to and the duel seem so much more WEAK and SLOW because they are telling you BASIC rules as they are dueling and I'm like WTF!?!?!?!? 5Ds had way more exciting big duels, even from the very start.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 69 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 27, 2012

4 by vv1 »»
Apr 8, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 67 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 13, 2012

7 by vv1 »»
Apr 7, 2:16 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 66 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 30, 2012

7 by vv1 »»
Apr 7, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 64 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2012

3 by vv1 »»
Apr 6, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Episode 63 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 9, 2012

4 by vv1 »»
Apr 6, 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.