Forum Settings
Forums

Do Weaboos make you feel embarrassed about liking anime?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Dec 17, 2014 2:33 PM

Nov 2011
aikaflip said:
I think I got into anime before the term "weaboo" was even coined. People are free to like whatever they want, and some will inevitably like or dislike something more than others. The hardcore fans don't shame me in any way. I'm usually like, "Yeah, I like anime." If someone has a problem with that, or choose to judge me based on some stereotype, they can kindly go eat themselves.
Eat themselves? I've never heard that one before. Anyway I agree with this though sometimes I wanna punch people who blindly follow weaboo stereotypes.
Dec 17, 2014 2:34 PM
Feb 2014
AlucardVampire said:
I'm more embarrassed for the people who are too insecure to actually be themselves.

Shaming other nerds or Otaku is stupid. It's like Star Wars fans picking on Star Trek fans for being too nerdy....

To be fair there are people who are embarrassingly outwardly showing their interests in anime or whatever Japanese thing is there out there such as Filthy Frank/Davido-kun what have you not. But bottom line is look at the psychology of some people, maybe they've been bullied IRL, those who were bullied before are likely to carry on the acts late in life. Common sense. Not saying it's a given, but it's definitely a result in some cases.

By the way, I don't want to argue about this, that's not the topic at hand.

Ratohnhaketon said:
People who take part in guilt by association are worse than any weeaboo.

As a person who keeps his interest in anime silently, I object. How exactly are we inherently worse? We're simply stating that we want nothing to do with people who are making a fool out of our interests, that's all.
Dec 17, 2014 2:38 PM

Nov 2011
Nicoreos said:
AlucardVampire said:
I'm more embarrassed for the people who are too insecure to actually be themselves.

Shaming other nerds or Otaku is stupid. It's like Star Wars fans picking on Star Trek fans for being too nerdy....

To be fair there are people who are embarrassingly outwardly showing their interests in anime or whatever Japanese thing is there out there such as Filthy Frank/Davido-kun what have you not. But bottom line is look at the psychology of some people, maybe they've been bullied IRL, those who were bullied before are likely to carry on the acts late in life. Common sense. Not saying it's a given, but it's definitely a result in some cases.

Ratohnhaketon said:

As a person who keeps his interest in anime silently, I object. How exactly are we inherently worse? We're simply stating that we want nothing to do with people who are making a fool out of our interests, that's all.

I think he meant people who act ashamed that they watch anime because of Weaboos not people who are fine being an anime fan and just want nothing to do with japanophiles.
Dec 17, 2014 2:44 PM
Feb 2014
People watch anime because of Weeaboos? What? I don't get you.

Japanophilia isn't inherently bad if kept in moderation, being a weeaboo isn't presentable to be honest, some people prefer humility over ostentatious displays. I'm pretty sure that's how most of us here feel. Anime is just another one of things that make our lives the way they are, they don't control every bit of our exterior actions like it does to weeaboos.

With his logic we might just say those guilty by association are worse because they don't want to look unpresentable.
Dec 17, 2014 2:45 PM
Jul 2014
no
Dec 17, 2014 2:47 PM

Jan 2014
-Klad- said:
RedRoseFring said:
No. I like anime because it's good. Silly fans don't change that.
well other people won't care about that good anime. They would just judge you because of them

Why should I care what a person who hasn't even seen the series says? Their ignorance doesn't hinder my enjoyment.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 17, 2014 2:54 PM

Dec 2013
Nicoreos said:
AlucardVampire said:

Ratohnhaketon said:

The OP sounded like he is making fun of the guy for liking Anime/Japan more than him just like the people around him would make fun of him for liking Anime period.

It's a little hypocritical. It's just the impression that I got.... You should never be worried about what the world thinks of you.

Not arguing. I just wish people would stop shaming others for their interests, regardless of what it might be. I also hate the term "weaboo" I got called that just because I'm a sub only watcher, fighting among ourselves over silly tags is just like bullies picking on us. I just find fault in his explanation but maybe the guy in his class is just a nightmare to deal with.. I don't know.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Dec 17, 2014 2:56 PM

Nov 2010
Dec 17, 2014 2:58 PM

May 2013
The person who made this thread is a prime example of what is wrong with the human race. Man up and own who you are. I don't blame you for being born with inferior logic and low confidence, however I will tell you a very important bit of information. Life is short, if you decide to hide... you won't be found until it's too late to matter. I'm guessing you're still young though, 14? 15? Maybe in a few years you'll understand what I mean (I'm 21).
Dec 17, 2014 3:00 PM
Feb 2014
@AlucardVampire:

Unfortunately, people are like this in life. It's how society works, we don't take those who act embarrassingly humiliating seriously, that's how human groups work. All I think he was saying was that he was a fan of Anime/Japan, there really is no need to overdo your interest to the expense of himself and not the world around him. While it might be hypocritical on his part, he's simply stating that he's not the person who wants to be humiliated by one's unhealthy interests in what he likes, kind of makes him as well feel bad about it when he does not want to. This is why, while I, and I'm sure many others, keep their interest in this private, not because they're worried, but because of others making it look embarrassing itself. I don't care if people like Anime/Japan, and it's OK to be interested, but there's no need to have it control one's exterior actions, it's just flat out abnormal. Besides, I doubt the OP cares, he doesn't look like the type that would see this thread seeing that someone had to necro this.
Dec 17, 2014 3:05 PM

Nov 2011
Nicoreos said:
People watch anime because of Weeaboos? What? I don't get you.

Japanophilia isn't inherently bad if kept in moderation, being a weeaboo isn't presentable to be honest, some people prefer humility over ostentatious displays. I'm pretty sure that's how most of us here feel. Anime is just another one of things that make our lives the way they are, they don't control every bit of our exterior actions like it does to weeaboos.

With his logic we might just say those guilty by association are worse because they don't want to look unpresentable.

I'm a pretty huge fan of Japan namely for Anime, manga, videogames, Akira Kurosawa, and Samurai culture. Still stereotypical Japanophiles piss me off.
Dec 17, 2014 3:11 PM
Sep 2013
No, because I wouldn't care about the opinion of someone who judged me based on the ways of someone else.
Dec 17, 2014 3:19 PM

Dec 2013
Nicoreos said:
@AlucardVampire:

Unfortunately, people are like this in life. It's how society works, we don't take those who act embarrassingly humiliating seriously, that's how human groups work. All I think he was saying was that he was a fan of Anime/Japan, there really is no need to overdo your interest to the expense of himself and not the world around him. While it might be hypocritical on his part, he's simply stating that he's not the person who wants to be humiliated by one's unhealthy interests in what he likes, kind of makes him as well feel bad about it when he does not want to. This is why, while I, and I'm sure many others, keep their interest in this private, not because they're worried, but because of others making it look embarrassing itself. I don't care if people like Anime/Japan, and it's OK to be interested, but there's no need to have it control one's exterior actions, it's just flat out abnormal. Besides, I doubt the OP cares, he doesn't look like the type that would see this thread seeing that someone had to necro this.

Well said.

I suppose everyone is different and he does seem more like a casual fan based on his profile/list. I'm used to not hiding my interests, however embarrassing other people find them.

There was a guy in my class one year who wore nothing but ecchi t-shirts and had a folder full of Anime girl pictures. He would always talk about hentai but people generally liked him but I guess it depends on who you are and where you live.
Feel free to message me to chat.
Dec 17, 2014 3:22 PM

Dec 2012
DragonQuest3 said:
Nicoreos said:

I think he meant people who act ashamed that they watch anime because of Weaboos not people who are fine being an anime fan and just want nothing to do with japanophiles.
I'm referring to people who try to group everyone up into one label and think that every anime fan can be summed up as "lul fat looser freak!!" They're worse than any weea-desu uguu nyu nekomimi cosplayer because they are the root of the problem, pushing delusion as doctrine.
Dec 17, 2014 3:35 PM

Mar 2013
Yes, the way the act makes me feel awful and afterwards, people that were never interested in anime can throw random examples of weeaboos, telling me that if I don't stop watching this shit, I'll become like them. I can't really reply to that...
Dec 17, 2014 3:39 PM

May 2013
Depends on your definition of Weaboo. I've talked to many people in College and in the general public about Anime/Manga and all that, but the ones I consider "Weeaboo" are the ones that will use Japanese words more than they should and stuff like that. I unfortunately know a few in my College and one or two in my class even and fortunately they haven't yet figured out who or what I am. I just hope it stays that way.
Dec 17, 2014 3:40 PM
Feb 2014
AlucardVampire said:
Nicoreos said:
@AlucardVampire:

Well said.

I suppose everyone is different and he does seem more like a casual fan based on his profile/list. I'm used to not hiding my interests, however embarrassing other people find them.

There was a guy in my class one year who wore nothing but ecchi t-shirts and had a folder full of Anime girl pictures. He would always talk about hentai but people generally liked him but I guess it depends on who you are and where you live.

I guess that's true. I don't live around the stereotype, but I'm well aware of it. Anime fans where I live are pretty chill and laid-back and aren't really too intense about it.

Ratohnhaketon said:
DragonQuest3 said:

I'm referring to people who try to group everyone up into one label and think that every anime fan can be summed up as "lul fat looser freak!!" They're worse than any weea-desu uguu nyu nekomimi cosplayer because they are the root of the problem, pushing delusion as doctrine.

Oh, I misread you then. I do though, dislike the latter a lot more considering that they're making a bigger fool than someone who makes a bunch of stereotypes when society will likely agree with them. I'm not being a conformist of any kind, but it's kind of hard to justify someone for going great lengths to be something they're not on the outside or inside at all. At least perhaps the former knows what to expect when they would go to those lengths, they're only protecting themselves from potential insults, even if it means giving them out. It's all about control of ones interests, people simply don't have self-control, and that grinds a lots' gears.
AqutanDec 17, 2014 5:16 PM
Dec 17, 2014 4:49 PM

Oct 2012
nope. im not too concerned about being judged by people who brush off entire mediums of art they have never actually even seen because of what other people think. theyre generally not very smart or interesting.
Dec 17, 2014 4:51 PM

Aug 2014
Why does this thread even exist

By being on here you're already a freaking weeaboo. end of discussion.
Dec 17, 2014 5:07 PM

Mar 2012
I think some people have forgotten what weeaboo actually means. It's someone who believes themselves to be of Japanese decent because of their interest in Japanese culture/media.
Although I don't personally care what others think of me, I don't run around announcing that I watch anime. If someone asks, then I'm willing to admit it, but it's not plastered on my face. I just find people that consider themselves a "weeaboo" to be quite disrespectful to Japanese culture. To admire a race or culture is one thing, but to completely trash it by spouting off random Japanese phrases or words is ridiculous and childish. I typically tend to ignore the people that choose to act that way. While they bother me, you don't have associate yourself with them if you don't want to.

.✦.✦.✦.
Dec 17, 2014 5:11 PM
Feb 2014
xdarkreality said:
I think some people have forgotten what weeaboo actually means. It's someone who believes themselves to be of Japanese decent because of their interest in Japanese culture/media.
Although I don't personally care what others think of me, I don't run around announcing that I watch anime. If someone asks, then I'm willing to admit it, but it's not plastered on my face. I just find people that consider themselves a "weeaboo" to be quite disrespectful to Japanese culture. To admire a race or culture is one thing, but to completely trash it by spouting off random Japanese phrases or words is ridiculous and childish. I typically tend to ignore the people that choose to act that way. While they bother me, you don't have associate yourself with them if you don't want to.

Nice post, agree with almost all of it. You're on MAL though, so expect troll responses on this thread and in lieu of your two cents until shown otherwise.
Dec 17, 2014 5:49 PM

Dec 2014
i can definitely relate to this cause i have this guy in my class who is into anime but i dont like him at all and it makes me fell embarassed about going to watch anime becuase of him
Dec 17, 2014 5:54 PM
Oct 2013
kinoholic said:
I think some people in this thread need to learn what a 'weeaboo' is.

Simply being open about the fact that you like anime is NOT what a weeaboo is.. those creatures are Much Much worse then that.

I think its pretty pathetic that you're not open about it.. So afraid of what others will think regarding stuff You like? Sad.

As to the question though.. Yes those Creatures make me ashamed sometimes.

they just need to watch filthy franks video on what a weeaboo is LOL
Dec 17, 2014 6:28 PM

Jul 2014
Look man. I openly admit I love anime and I could care less what other people think. Once you break that barrier and feel like you can be yourself, you'll never have to worry about that kind of stuff ever again.

If I were in your shoes, I would have probably been friends with him. Where I live it rare to find anyone that share my interests.

Dec 17, 2014 6:37 PM

Apr 2014
Let me think.....

NO!
Dec 17, 2014 6:42 PM
Nov 2013
I don't know anyone like that irl, honestly. I know anime fans, but they aren't exactly fans the way I see it. Weaboos are just extremely rare I guess, even more than finding someone with a MAL account irl. Also, I don't feel embarrassed by the others because I'm probably the most weird of all them.
Dec 17, 2014 6:45 PM

Apr 2012
It makes me reluctant to admit that I enjoy anime in the presence of other anime fans, in case they are in fact weeaboos.
Dec 17, 2014 6:49 PM

Feb 2010
No but socially awkward people like OP do. Actually they don't, but they're worse than weaboos because they're much more common.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 17, 2014 6:57 PM

Dec 2011
No because I don't care about them.
Dec 17, 2014 7:22 PM

Jun 2014
Not really. BUT I only talk about anime with people I already know and kinda tend to be quiet about it to not attract weebs as they are in abundance at my school.
I remember the time I wore my gurren lagann drill necklace to school. Weird weeb kid everyone is afraid of then persists to ask me about each and every anime I have watched.

He still does this
Dec 17, 2014 7:24 PM
May 2007
If I were 10 years younger, I think it would make me feel embarrassed not as an anime fan, but legitimately studying Japanese altogether during that time.
Dec 17, 2014 7:34 PM

Apr 2014
Weaboos give normal anime fans bad names.
Dec 17, 2014 7:35 PM
Nov 2010
I barely watch any anime as it is. So no, I don't associate with them. It's like being embarrassed of certain fans of TV shows.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Dec 17, 2014 7:39 PM

Dec 2012
Nicoreos said:

Oh, I misread you then. I do though, dislike the latter a lot more considering that they're making a bigger fool than someone who makes a bunch of stereotypes when society will likely agree with them. I'm not being a conformist of any kind, but it's kind of hard to justify someone for going great lengths to be something they're not on the outside or inside at all. At least perhaps the former knows what to expect when they would go to those lengths, they're only protecting themselves from potential insults, even if it means giving them out. It's all about control of ones interests, people simply don't have self-control, and that grinds a lots' gears.
But again who is doing more harm? An eccentric cosplayer who throws away reputation and dignity for fun? Or people who make sweeping generalizations about an entire fandom based on a small section of nutcases? I know it's easier to just stereotype and stop thinking, we all do it on a daily basis. But it's extremely irrational. Even more so when someone judges the entire content of your character by what sort of entertainment you enjoy in your free time.

I guess to simplify it, if you see a weeaboo acting a fool then call him out on it. That has 0 relevance to me liking anime unless I exhibit similar behavior. I won't go out of my way to be embarrassed for someone else's lunacy.
ZekkenshinDec 17, 2014 7:59 PM
Dec 17, 2014 7:39 PM

Feb 2013
Sometimes but most of the time I don't really care.

Dec 17, 2014 7:41 PM

Oct 2012
A little bit I'd say. There are bad apples in every fandom, that's why it's best to avoid groups.

Dec 17, 2014 7:45 PM

Aug 2014
Weeaboos make me embarrassed being Japanese, they make us look like moefags and shit. They need to die.
Dec 17, 2014 7:52 PM

Jun 2012
Not really. Though I did make fun of weebs alot at my school during senior year. It helped most of them grow out of their weeb phase and become more tolerable/open-minded people in general so I don't really regret it.
Dec 17, 2014 7:53 PM

Dec 2013
No, not at all.
Dec 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Jul 2008
It depends when where and why really. they don't embarrass me at all as long as they stay in there proper habitats such as anime conventions or gaming events. It's just like being a gamer or a nerd. as far as I remember they did not embarrasses me at school at all. Well in my college japanese class there were a select few that I felt, they didn't "see the whole world" or really "see the country they live in" if you know what I mean. I had more of a problem of their narrow mindedness rather than their love of japanese things. The constant denial of non-japanese things is something I really don't understand. It the same in reverse, the american/whoever that just deny Japanese/foreign things as well cause they don't understand.
Dec 17, 2014 8:00 PM
Mar 2011
I am a weeaboo and when I see other weeaboos I realize what I really look like from the point of view of other people. So I try to not interact with them and to not look like a weeaboo. But it doesn't make me feel embarrassed about being a weeaboo, it just warns me that I shouldn't act like a weeaboo...
Dec 17, 2014 8:02 PM

Jan 2008
I was talking to a old friend one time and he called me a "baka" and man, the chill down my back on how cringy that was.
Dec 17, 2014 8:46 PM
Feb 2014
strawhatman5 said:
kinoholic said:
I think some people in this thread need to learn what a 'weeaboo' is.

Simply being open about the fact that you like anime is NOT what a weeaboo is.. those creatures are Much Much worse then that.

I think its pretty pathetic that you're not open about it.. So afraid of what others will think regarding stuff You like? Sad.

As to the question though.. Yes those Creatures make me ashamed sometimes.

they just need to watch filthy franks video on what a weeaboo is LOL

No we don't. Believe it or not, there is nothing enlightening about that Frank guy anyways. He's just a childish attention-seeking troll with nothing constructive to the table. His maturity mirrors that of DraconisMarch.

Ratohnhaketon said:
Nicoreos said:

But again who is doing more harm? An eccentric cosplayer who throws away reputation and dignity for fun? Or people who make sweeping generalizations about an entire fandom based on a small section of nutcases? I know it's easier to just stereotype and stop thinking, we all do it on a daily basis. But it's extremely irrational. Even more so when someone judges the entire content of your character by what sort of entertainment you enjoy in your free time.

I guess to simplify it, if you see a weeaboo acting a fool then call him out on it. That has 0 relevance to me liking anime unless I exhibit similar behavior. I won't go out of my way to be embarrassed for someone else's lunacy.

Whoever is causing one more harm is subjective, in my case, it's the person looking as unpresentable as can be. The bullies are irrelevant because they're as weak-minded as the next guy, thing is, I imagine the weeaboo to not be thoughtful of his or her own boundaries, since in fact, it is someone who is pretending to be Japanese when not at all. Cosplaying and the like, I take back, is simply being an anime fan, but overdoing it is kind of obnoxious and mirroring the qualities of a weeaboo if we should make judgment on who the person is. You can simply ignore those bullies though, they probably aren't thoughtful either, but at least they know their boundaries of social context. If it helps, most of my reasoning comes from someone who takes pride in one's given individuality, faking an ethnicity to me is probably one of the most inauthentic things one can do.
AqutanDec 17, 2014 8:58 PM
Dec 17, 2014 9:01 PM

Jun 2014
Weeaboos are bad, but casual anime fans who call someone a weeaboo for watching more anime than them are annoying as hell.
Dec 17, 2014 9:06 PM

Aug 2014
No, I dont see why it would.
Dec 17, 2014 9:11 PM
Feb 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Weeaboos are bad, but pseudointellectual anime fans who call someone a weeaboo for watching different anime than them are annoying as hell.

I think it should be more like this. Then I'll agree, kek
Dec 17, 2014 9:13 PM

Aug 2013
No, because I don't associate myself with them.
Dec 17, 2014 9:16 PM

Jun 2014
Nicoreos said:
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Weeaboos are bad, but pseudointellectual anime fans who call someone a weeaboo for watching different anime than them are annoying as hell.

That too, but still the former as well IMO.
Dec 17, 2014 9:19 PM
Feb 2014
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Nicoreos said:

That too, but still the former as well IMO.

I'd rather be insulted by deliberately stupid people than people who pretend to be omniscient geniuses. This is kind of why I do like Casual Discussion more than Anime Discussion. You learn a new thing about me every day!
Dec 17, 2014 9:27 PM

Sep 2014
Not really. Doesn't really matter to me since I don't associate with any of 'em.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 7 hours ago

45 by Rhae »»
4 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Apr 27

40 by PeripheralVision »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite Anime Insert Song

LowIqSalty - 33 minutes ago

4 by Archean-Return »»
16 minutes ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

22 by DesuMaiden »»
20 minutes ago

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - May 19

84 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.