Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 16, 2014 4:35 PM
Apr 2008
suigetsu00 said:
when the blackbeard pirates started attacking whitebeard.....did anyone else think of sin city?

No, i thought "wow, blackbeard's crew, along with its rat captain needs to die...badly."
Feb 4, 2014 12:22 AM
Jan 2014
Whitebeard delivering an epic speech and dieing standing up like the boss he is contrasting to Blackbeard scurrying backwards like a rat fink was terrific.
Feb 4, 2014 11:54 AM

Dec 2012
Whitebeard!!!! One of the best characters ever! The best captain and the best badass!!!
Epicness at its best!!! I really wanted him to live :(
Snoux said:
suigetsu00 said:
when the blackbeard pirates started attacking whitebeard.....did anyone else think of sin city?

No, i thought "wow, blackbeard's crew, along with its rat captain needs to die...badly."

XD XD XD Me too!!! I hate them!!!!
Feb 18, 2014 7:14 PM

Aug 2013
Not one wound on his back... after that many gunshots, cannonball shots, stabs... :o
Jul 24, 2014 4:51 PM

May 2013
Whitebeard is truly, a man to look up to. His dignity and pride for his family was very strong.

R.I.P Edward Newgate.
Aug 9, 2014 1:42 AM

Dec 2011
RIP Whitebeard. Man this arc has got me feelin so depressed

Sep 18, 2014 3:11 AM

Apr 2011
Not a single scar was left upon white beard's back.

Rest in peace.
Oct 14, 2014 10:04 PM

Jan 2014
Dang, that Whitebeard murder-fest was brutal.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 10, 2014 5:23 PM

Oct 2013
What a way to go,that Whitebeard sure was awesome R.I.P legend.

Jun 6, 2015 7:05 PM

Mar 2014
Whitebeard is a legend.
Jun 6, 2015 7:07 PM

Mar 2014
kittyn said:
RIP Whitebeard. Man this arc has got me feelin so depressed

Tell me about it - I'm so drained from all the crying
Jun 6, 2015 7:09 PM

Mar 2014
Oh and Blackbeard is a dick.
Jun 17, 2015 11:32 AM

Jun 2015
chaerinbom said:
All he wanted was a family ;;-;;
No scars on his back.
Oh gosh, what Oda does to me.
Right in da feels, man.
Aug 30, 2015 9:36 AM
Sep 2014
Whitebeard. What an honorable death.
Dec 6, 2015 4:44 AM

May 2015
I hate this show only the good guys die :(

Rip White Beard 6-12-2015
Jul 14, 2016 7:20 PM

May 2013
Love Whitebeard ;~;
Jul 28, 2016 10:08 AM

Mar 2015
The One Piece is real!! Thank goodness, else the past 484 episodes would've been for nothing!!!!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 1, 2016 9:03 PM

Jun 2015
My little brother saw me crying, bye respect

But I just can't stop, this is always too much to handle
Nov 2, 2016 5:27 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
So the Marine tried to win the big ampunt of pirates, scaring them, showing how they kill whitebeared but same as Gold Roger, he just had his win at the end ...
And his face ... he had what he wanted, a big family ...:

Oh man, so many emotions right now @_@

Jan 24, 2017 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
This has been a sad arc. The fights have been lacking (too many characters crammed into short fights), but I forgot about that when someone started cutting onions in my room.
Mar 25, 2017 9:56 PM

May 2014
Holy mother of god. O_O

I swear, these last 4 or so episodes of One Piece have been the best of the entire series thus far. Having two huge deaths so close together without either losing its impact is a difficult thing to do, but OP did it.

I think the major thing is that I got completely different feelings from each death- Ace's death was tragic and I bawled my eyes out because his life got suddenly snuffed out far too early, but Whitebeard's was basically the opposite. It was (weirdly enough) awe-inspiring to the point that I got goosebumps. He made dying look cool.
I MEAN, COME ON HE DIED STANDING UP.
Plus, the narrator listing all his injuries just made it even more epic.

When he said the One Piece exists, it really reminded me of the way Roger went out. Now each of them has started an era with their final moments!

Also did not expect the scene where Blackbeard and his crew attacked him to be so brutal. Damn.
Seriously though, with each consecutive appearance, I hate Blackbeard even more...he's complete trash. But not likable or entertaining trash like Croc or Doffy. Just. Ugh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2017 12:53 PM

Oct 2014
RIP Shirohige ;( He was amazing pirate and human.
Aug 24, 2017 10:36 AM

Mar 2015
No scars on the back and dies standing. Badass.
Oct 9, 2017 10:00 AM

Dec 2014
that may have been the most badass death I've ever witnessed in all of anime or fiction in general
May 9, 2018 12:06 PM

Mar 2017
greatest arc ever.
Whitebeard you the man!!!!!!!!

I fcking hate Teach so much.

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Feb 17, 2019 5:01 PM
Dec 2016
Epic episode, cant help but smile even with his death especially with how they done it.

One Piece is real.
May 6, 2019 10:30 PM

Jun 2016
I knew two spoilers outside of who the Straw Hats were going into this. Those were Ace's death and Whitebeard's death and I do not feel they lessened the impact. This climax is so well done it's shocking. I felt so many emotions during it and I feel somewhat empty now. It was a great and heroic death on Whitebeard's part but everything has been leading up to this since the end of Amazon Lily and if you want to go really far back since Alabasta. And what happened? Oars jr is probably dead. Bon Clay may be dead. Tons of people are dead. Ace is dead. Whitebeard is dead. Oh, and Luffy has gone insane. Wow...

I guess I'll start at the top. The opening changed to indicate the released prisoners on Blackbeard's side! That was a great change. Next, the fact that on top of everything that was happening Blackbeard released the most notorious criminals ever makes me think there may be some hope for Bon Clay. Through all of that commotion he may have made it out! Lastly, Blackbeard is an interesting guy. His power makes him take even more damage than a normal person would while allowing himself to hurt any power user. Yet, despite this he isn't smart with it. He nearly died by Magellan in one single attack and here he went in without considering the fact that Whitebeard could kill him with raw strength. He pleaded for help and showed fear for his life and to win he had to scream for his allies. He's arrogant and sadistic, he loves mocking people for the deaths of their loved ones as we saw it with Luffy and Whitebeard now. But it's not like he's skillful or intelligent, he uses brute force to force his will onto the world and nearly dies doing it constantly. I wonder why his crew is with him outside of his overwhelming power, or if it anything deeper than that.

This also finally illuminated Blackbeard's plan. His steps to becoming all powerful wasn't by becoming a warlord, it was to use that position to release his new allies and use them to then shake the world. I suppose we'll finally fully see what he's been trying to do next episode. It's a nice detail that it was his teammates hypnotizing that let Luffy's group in! It also makes me worry, could he, say, make the Straw Hats fight each other with his hypnotism?

I wasn't sure if Whitebeard would still care for Teach at all as he was once his son, but as he was brutalizing Blackbeard and Blackbeard yelled 'you can't kill me, I'm your son!" or whatever he did it was clear that once someone breaks the iron rule they are nothing in his eyes. He will forgive a son for stabbing him but he will not forgive Teach for killing one of his children. So, to have that brutal slash, crushing of his hands, and exploding earthquakes point blank on his throat, that was cathartic. Sadly, it wasn't enough though. I must say it was a cool choice to go black and white with only red blood in that gang beating of the already struggling to walk Whitebeard...

I must agree with a user in this thread. Ace's death was shocking and unexpected. It was miserable and like Luffy we couldn't accept what was happening. It was absurd and in a way it was realistic. He was taken from everyone in mere moments after being saved. However, despite that one being so bitter and horrifying it was also warm, he was able to die happy that he was loved by so many people. Here with Whitebeard we knew it was coming a long way before hand. As soon as Whitebeard broke the ground we knew it was his final stand even if Blackbeard didn't appear. So to give such a valiant attempt to take down both of his sons murderers and refuse to falter in the face of everything, making his final moments one of telling the world of the One Piece's existence, it was triumphant and beautiful. The way he died was as if he was a glorious statue shrouded in heavenly light. I was sold on Whitebeard but this didn't hit me like Ace's death hit me, instead it felt fitting. For he was amazing in life and death and he came here to retire. Whitebeard was a man about his family, even denying Roger's offering to get to raftel. he was a strong man but one full of compassion and he chose to carry those he cared about under him. His dream was fulfilled because of everyone and he was able to die somewhat happy too.

I guess the last thing to touch on is the will of "D". It's from way back before even Roger's time, and an inheriting of one's will that cannot be broken, "hundreds of years of history on their shoulders". It's still not clear to me but its linked to the One Piece which is real and big enough to start a war that will overtake the entire world, and if I had to guess the World Government's erasing of history was probably to hide this. Perhaps their genocidal tendencies can be understand as the preemptive actions to stop a world war.
May 6, 2019 11:09 PM

Jun 2016
Double posting to say how freaking empty I feel. There was beauty in both Whitebeard and Ace's deaths. But this was a definitive loss for Whitebeard and Luffy. Ace is dead and on top of that, the sons of Whitebeard are now fatherless. This is a moment that will change the world. Despite not saving Ace everyone fought their hardest and I guess that's what counts. Whitebeard and Luffy gave it their all and it wasn't enough. At least Whitebeard hopefully made enough space with that earth quake to let his children escape.

It's not even over yet but I almost want to just get this over with. Blackbeard has stolen the spotlight for his own sick scheme. Where does Luffy and Whitebeard's crew even go from here. For a series that fills me with hope it's really messed with me and I think that's quite special. The world caught up to Luffy and left him behind and made him look like a child, this isn't his story anymore. He was truly an ant in this battlefield. A morale boosting, reckless and admirable ant. But an ant nonetheless. ODA IS SO CRUEL!
Dec 11, 2019 10:17 PM
Aug 2017
Omfg, one of my fav episodes!! Whitebeard was so great even in death, he didn’t collapse and no wounds on his back!! Such a great character. That line of his “ I always wanted a family” , hits home like i mean im speechless.
May 7, 2020 6:00 AM

Apr 2018
STANDING OVATION TO WHITEBEARD
I have so much respect for this guy and this whole episode was perfect all the dialogues and the speech of whitebeard gave me feels and chills

"ONE PIECE DOES EXIST"
Aug 22, 2020 2:10 AM

Oct 2019
WHAT A BADASS. One of the best scenes so far in One Piece imo.
What grand last words, and he stands tall even in death!

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Aug 25, 2020 7:52 PM

Mar 2017
holy shit he's a legend

like 10 episodes earlier i was wondering how sick it would b 4 a character 2 die standing & there it is

whitebeard is a badass
Oct 11, 2020 10:56 AM

May 2016
No matter how hard Blackbeard tried to to crush his opponent's spirit, Whitebeard was able to make his last moments absolutely legendary either way and manly tears were shed all across the world in the process!

The fact that he died standing proud after that horrendous all-out attack by the Blackbeard Pirates is nothing short of an epic death and it was beyond awesome when he used his last moments to reassure the existence of the One Piece and make a premonition of a great war that will change the world be it for better or for worse.

Dec 27, 2020 10:54 PM
May 2018
Uploader53 said:
My favorite part of the episode was the narrator listing the number of battle wounds and how he never got a scar on his back.
Blackbeard is such a coward. I wonder how the heck he was born with the 'D' initial and be so pathetic. The only reason he is still alive is because of luck and that Whitebeard wasn't in full power. If he was, Blackbeard wouldn't have stood a chance.
I feel bad for the Whitebeard crew. They really loved their 'Pops.'
what so great about not having a scar on back
May 30, 2021 1:43 PM

Jun 2019
Rest in Peace, Oyaji.
Edward Newgate... you'll always be remembered.
Jul 11, 2021 12:20 AM

Dec 2012
That firing scene was so brutal the fuck.
Whitebeard is a monster!

Aug 13, 2021 2:37 PM

Aug 2021
The one piece is real
And Whitebeard's dream was to get a family which he got <333
Mar 31, 2022 4:43 AM
Jul 2018
Edward newgate aka whitebeard what a legend he was this is one of the best best episodes of one piece when whitebeard said "the one piece is real" it was truly epic at the end when the narrater was talking about the wounds whitebeard received and how he never ran away was epic and what whitebeard wanted was a family and his wish was fulfilled
removed-userJun 6, 2022 5:09 AM
Apr 9, 2022 9:15 AM

Dec 2012
The way the curtain was drawn on Whitebeard's era was an absolute master stroke. Nothing but pure respect & total admiration for being Godfather of the Pirates.

In contrast, Teach is insidiously diabolic. I used to think Crocodile was the most dastardly villain in One Piece, but now I can't decide if Blackbeard or Akainu should take the as the most heinous. The way Blackbeard shifted from begging for his life to indulging in his bloodlust was like a child whimsically reacting to whatever momentary emotion he's feeling. I can see why Magellan was so set on preventing the jail break in Impel Down - there were some legit devils in there.

Also can't believe I didn't pick up on Blackbeard's full name before. I have to wonder if this "Will of D" is some sort of instinct that drives people towards immeasurable ambitions - be it for better or worse. Whitebeard's final proclamation has me absolutely on edge as I think that there are still over 500 episodes to go until I catch up.
Aug 14, 2022 4:29 AM

Dec 2018
holy shit whitebeard
F
what a man
Aug 29, 2022 1:35 AM

Apr 2018
WTFFFF! First, it's Ace. Now, it's Whitebeard?! T___T... What happened to "nobody dies" plot, ODA?! I actually miss it trololol!!!

On a serious note, I'm guessing Marco will be the next captain for Whitebeard. There is no way Luffy is considered strong atm. I hope he'll become stronger along with his crew members. I hope Jimbei joins the crew, too! He's been protecting Luffy a lot!
Sep 23, 2022 12:51 PM
Jan 2021
Can we get much higher?
Nov 5, 2022 5:02 PM
Mar 2021
THE OOONE PIECE TRHEE ONME PUECE IS REAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Nov 19, 2022 5:39 PM
Feb 2018
da one piece is real
Dec 30, 2022 10:49 AM

Jun 2021
I finally understand "The one piece is real"

Mar 8, 2023 8:07 AM
Aug 2020
Absolutely phenomenal. WHitebeard omega giga chad. Can we get much higher?
Mar 15, 2023 11:43 PM
Jun 2022
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭💔💔💔💔💔 my goat
Mar 15, 2023 11:43 PM
Jan 2017
bruh what the fucker
Mar 21, 2023 2:45 PM
Apr 2021
whitebeard is the goat
May 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Apr 2017
oh my god, this is really peak one piece, im crying
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1102 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Yesterday

24 by Nerdason »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 418 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kevin_video - Sep 19, 2009

131 by kevin_video »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

55 by YudiYusantoS »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 419 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kevin_video - Sep 26, 2009

108 by gannoncannon55 »»
6 hours ago

» Egghead's pacing has been spectacular!

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

10 by GudBoy »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.