Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 26, 2011 11:14 PM

Oct 2008
I almost teared up when Luffy was screaming how Ace is his only brother. ;-;
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 4, 2011 9:08 AM

Oct 2009
Dam, now Garp joins too :\
Aug 14, 2011 3:26 AM

May 2010
A grueling war.. it looks like old-man Garp is ready to give a beat down on Luffy! :-D LOL how Boa Hancock is fighting.. she's like on only Luffy's side which is neutral :-))
I dunno how will the Navy recover after this war.. their HQ is getting badly destroyed!
Feb 5, 2012 3:32 PM

Jan 2012
it's painful seeing luffy getting flung around like that but i wouldn't have it any other way. he's still in the world of his past adventures in east blue and grand line where he was the strongest guy around, so it's hard for him to accept that sometimes it's not going to be him who can do what needs to be done.
Jul 9, 2012 2:18 AM

Jan 2012
Dramon said:
DIAMOND JOZE!!!

Judging by the reaction of the marines,Garp is as strong as the Admiral's ,if not stronger.

I've been thinking that for a while. Must be some reason he isn't a Admiral
Oct 27, 2012 8:07 AM

Jun 2011
Kizaru's attack did shit on Marco but Garp hurt him :D He said his power decreased alot in the Post Enies Lobby arc, imagine him at his best -.-
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 25, 2012 11:00 AM

Mar 2010
There still is one thing that the episode was lacking,.. Probably luffys crew..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 17, 2013 6:39 PM

Jul 2013
Why nobody is talking of the EPIC iva-sama? :D
I laughed so hard <3<3<3

OKAMA WAY!
Only the strong reborn from ashes.
Feb 2, 2014 11:14 PM
Jan 2014
Well it appears Garp and Whitebeard can both agree the rest of the pirates are brats. Quite bipartisan if you ask me, reaching over the isle and what not.
Feb 3, 2014 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
Anitnelav said:
I almost teared up when Luffy was screaming how Ace is his only brother. ;-;

FenixPT said:
Why nobody is talking of the EPIC iva-sama? :D
I laughed so hard <3<3<3

both ^
Damn it's hard to watch two characters you like against each other. I feel so sorry for Garp...
Seriously this arc gets worse and worse to watch :( It's so nerve-racking and sad!
Oct 9, 2014 5:26 AM

Jan 2014
Luffy is at his limit.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 10, 2014 7:47 AM

Oct 2013
Epic stuff

Jun 6, 2015 1:42 PM

Mar 2014
Holy shit that punch tho
Jun 7, 2015 9:36 AM

Jul 2014
The one i feel worst for in this is Garp. He has to stand by and watch as 1 of his grandchildren jumps to his death to rescue the other who his own people are killing, while he cant do anything about it.
Jun 17, 2015 6:20 AM

Jun 2015
still wonder what type of powers garp has
Apr 17, 2016 6:43 PM

May 2013
My poor Marco :(

Aw mang, Garp. Y yu do dat D: You so cool, but nuuuuu. Das bad that you join the fight x'D
Jul 28, 2016 7:02 AM

Mar 2015
Grandpa Garp finally steps in
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 2, 2016 5:12 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Uploader53 said:
So Garp finally makes his move. Must have hurt since he just punched someone who was trying to rescue Ace.

And poor Luffy, his body is finally giving up on him, but was bound to happen. He's been fighting since Impel Down.

Can't wait for next week's episode.

I really did not expect that

Mar 24, 2017 7:11 PM

May 2014
Nothing happened, but, like EVERYTHING happened XD

Loved seeing the pirates vs. marines and then Hancock just kicking the crap out of everyone who isn't Luffy.

As if Luffy hadn't had enough beatings these past three or so arcs, he had to take another...my boy has been on a losing streak since Sabaody. I really don't think he and the SH are ready from the New World at all.

Garp finally takes a stand after playing sitting duck for god knows how long- I get his dedication to the job and all, but he practically raised Luffy and Ace...you'd think he'd at least try to help. Especially after Roger asked him to protect his son. I mean, I know it's not his job to pick up the pieces all the time, but the dude's about to get his head lopped off!! :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2019 10:43 AM

Jun 2016
I want to start this post very generally speaking about Marineford as a whole. I recently thought about how I miss the emotional connection I normally have to everyone involved in an arc. In this war there's so many faces clashing that it's just impossible for that to be the case. It creates fights that I think are cool, and violence that I think is sad, but often only on a broad level. It's not personalized and small scale like we normally have with the Straw Hats and their supporting characters of the arc and the small league of villains they face. Even Impel Down made me love the main 4, Luffy, Buggy, Mr. 3, and Bon Clay were amazing characters I cared deeply about by the end. Magellan was notably great in that way too. But, thinking about it more broadly, the sense of epic scale that this arc brings to the table being led up to since the literal beginning is something that could not be done with the emotional connection smaller scale arcs give me. Further, the way it led up to it was one of the most emotionally destructive arcs in the series Saboady, then we had the short but sweet Amazon Lily, then Oda made me fall in love and emotionally care about a new cast on a personal level with Impel Down. Even further, the way we broke formula to get here was awesome! So, even if I'm not as affected by what's going on in Marineford I think its still actually amazing and for an arc to focus on scale instead of emotional succinctness is fine especially since we just came from so much of that.

I do want to note that it's not like I'm emotionally disconnected from this arc. I shed tears in it! It's just most of the characters I care about, Jimbei, Ivan, Crocodile, Buggy, Mr.3, and even Luffy have a small role in Marineford. I have come to love Whitebeard especially with his whole 'how ridiculous it is to say I sold my sons'. It's just most of the real sadness I feel comes from how Luffy relates to the scenario and therefore by proxy I care about Ace and how he is feeling to see what's going on, and that's why it feels somewhat broad and disconnected emotionally for me. Yet, I do want to clarify, all the pieces I do care about on a personal level are here and knowing Oda they may all come into play perfectly later and blow me away by making this arc personally meaningful and large scale and epic!

Onto the episode, Oars really did a lot so it's nice to see Marco giving him the respect he deserves. His initial charge led the way for the Whitebeard's to advance and he salvaged their final chances to save Ace by tossing them inside. Oars is one of the major players in this war even in his near-death as his blood was what clogged up the gears for the encircling walls. Oars, you did good buddy.

I'll admit that part of the charm of One Piece is that when you don't understand the limits of the powers at play it seems limitless. I don't necessarily understand why Whitebeard didn't hurt Aokiji with the stab for instance but Jozu's shoulder bash did when I presume Whitebeard's haki, even when injured, is far greater. But things like Aokiji freezing Whitebeard but Whitebeard being able to shatter the Ice with vibrations that are unfreezable is just too cool and that scene regardless was so awesome to watch. Jozu coming in with the shoulder bash was just, wow. Hahahaha. Plus it set up Jozu vs Aokiji and we got some more Whitebeard vs Akainu which ended with Blackbeard vs Ace visuals! I hope Whitebeard can get some revenge for Akainu manipulating his children.

Seeing Luffy get destroyed really hurt. He's at his limits. The vice admirals beat the heck out of him and then Kizaru shot directly through him and kicked him into Whitebeard's arms. Not only is his health probably at a serious low but I don't know if Ivan's energy boost can carry him through this. On top of all of that he's been using gears a lot. Way more than normal. Second gear like every episode and sometimes third gear. I'm worried for him and his refusal to give up ended up as sad as his refusal to give up against Magellan. I would have never expected Whitebeard's words to be so true at the start of the series, but to say "He's nothing but a bundle of energy who just bluffs. Young and clumsy" is a good description of how he is in the New World. He either freezes up like against Kizaru the first time, or more commonly he runs in over and over until he kills himself like he did with Magellan and he did here. He runs until he collapses. The New World is cruel and we've been sold on it time and time again!!!

I guess the last point I want to make is about Garp. It makes me feel so awful to see him struggle to not act when he sees both of his sons about to be killed in front of his own eyes. But what made me feel even worse was the fact that not only did he not act, but he chose to stop Ace's rescue. It's not easy for him, but he's decided that the best thing he can do for Ace is sit by his side while this occurs, and further he's at least seemed to have chosen his duty with the navy over his sons lives, and over his promise to Roger. His choice to punch Marco down was so powerful. The meaning behind it changed Garps role in this completely. I wonder why his allegiances stand with the navy as deep as they do, Sengoku doesn't seem nearly as bad as many but Garp has to understand the corruption of the government. Assuming that, maybe this is good reason we should fear the emperor's even more. We know Shanks was fighting Kaido so perhaps Shanks and Whitebeard are the 'good' emperors and Kaido and the final one we don't know are not so great and Garp feels he's doing the necessary evil. >_> Jeez... This arc,, is cool.
Sep 25, 2020 3:38 AM

May 2016
It was shocking to see Garp joining in the war and fighting for the Marines even if it meant that his grandson will get executed if no one manages to stop them. Even Sengoku wasn't cruel enough to force him to fight for them so I wonder why he decided to do so.

May 30, 2021 8:50 AM

Jun 2019
Old man Garp finally came in front.
Jun 24, 2022 5:00 AM

Jan 2021
What is Garp doing he didn’t have to do anything that was actually annoying
Aug 14, 2022 2:39 AM

Dec 2018
horrible fucking show; 40 episodes of literally NOTHING
Jun 20, 2023 4:19 AM
Oct 2019
Clash between Akainu and Shirohige was Amazing!!

Garp must be so confilcted, Navy or Family?
Jul 12, 2023 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
I’ve been thinking for a while now, Luffy’s haki may be the game changer in this war. The preview for the next episode shows us he isn’t down for the count so he still has some role to play.
Sep 5, 2023 7:05 PM
Sep 2023
I got a soft spot for this episode
Dec 14, 2023 7:34 PM

May 2019
Why do all the Pacifistas need to have the same design? Even Moria's zombie army has more personality.
Jan 21, 6:22 AM

Dec 2022
After seeing these admirals I forget how powerful the vice admirals actually are aswell! Garp being there will be a huge problem.

Mar 23, 12:52 PM
Dec 2023
What a punch holy shit. Garp sent marco flying down and marco was able to keep up with an admiral. Makes me think garp could've easily become an admiral but chose not to. He must feel hella conflicted, attacking someone who's trying to save his grandson.
Whitebeard and akainu's clash was awesome.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1052 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 18, 2023

73 by animefan8800 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1015 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 23, 2022

477 by chudy_g120 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1102 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 27

47 by 002mugiwara »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1000 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

FMmatron - Nov 20, 2021

332 by lolCitrus »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1093 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Feb 10

94 by Mybad »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.