Forum Settings
Forums

Mangaka Akamatsu Ken To Launch Free Download Service of Discontinued Manga

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 17, 2010 4:19 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Akamatsu-sensei has never disappointed me before.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 17, 2010 4:41 PM

Aug 2007
DO LIKE.
I like how Akamatsu thinks. He is saving his fans now. ;D How his young readers can now read his old series without the hassle. And I do hope many mangakas follow as well (and maybe one day, it can be in english as well. >3<)
Nov 17, 2010 6:06 PM

Feb 2007
This is actually a really good idea! I really really hope it works out and I hope others follow suit!
Nov 17, 2010 7:03 PM

Apr 2010
Legal and free. It's a good day to be a manga reader.
Nov 17, 2010 7:03 PM

Jun 2010
Everyone support this guy. Lol. His idea sounds good
Nov 17, 2010 7:31 PM

Apr 2009
Now that's awesome. Go Akamatsu!
Nov 17, 2010 7:46 PM

Jul 2008
Chenoan said:
What a legend.
Nov 17, 2010 8:36 PM

Sep 2008
I hope other will follow this
I mean they will still make profit and probably more since it will be open worldwide right?
Ads and sponsorship etc..
Youtube is free but they make tons of freaking money
Nov 17, 2010 8:56 PM

Feb 2010
Gasp. Someone actually using their head to fight piracy head on with something just as convenient, but it still helps the authors.

+1 karma to Akamatsu
We will never forget those that have fallen for our freedom!
Nov 17, 2010 11:58 PM

May 2010
kiosy said:
Way to go, Ken Akamatsu. And I want a good scans of Love Hina, too! The one I obtained "Illegally" is in poor quality! (But I still read it for about 3 to 4 times!) Lol! XD

Me too :D
This guy just secured his spot as my #1 favorite person even more than before.
First he writes my two favorite mangas (Love Hina and Negima), and now this!
Now he just needs to get good anime adaptions of his series, and he'll be legendary!
Nov 18, 2010 12:03 AM

Nov 2007
Makes sense for the authors really, better for them if they get a cut of the ad revenue rather than people getting manga through illegal downloads or online reading sites. Or, and I think this is very much more significant in Japan than overseas, reading/buying at used book stores like Book-Off. Authors don't see a dime from the used market, and I'd imagine that free legal online viewings would redirect a god chunk of customers from used book stores.
kasumisamaNov 18, 2010 12:06 AM
Nov 18, 2010 1:14 AM

Jan 2010
sounds great to me =D
Nov 18, 2010 2:17 AM

Apr 2007
That's awesome news!

It's good that Akamatsu can do something for the manga community.

Current Avatar: Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke
Nov 18, 2010 5:09 AM

May 2010
What a good idea, Akamatsu truly understands the viewpoints of the fans, and his mangas are excellent too~ I hope it's a success.
Nov 18, 2010 7:10 PM

Nov 2009
i hope the manga will be released in english,
i cant read japanese (T-T)

anyway good job akamatsu-sensei
you are my hero :D
i hope you gain success and many more ppl follow this heroic act

good luck~!
If you just did nothing because you thought it wouldn't help, then you'd end up doing less than nothing; for nothing would change and nothing would end. (Kira Yamato - Gundam Seed Phase 34: Seen & Unseen)
Nov 18, 2010 7:16 PM

Sep 2008
dtshyk said:
According to Anime!Anime!, mangaka Akamatsu Ken established a stock company J-Comi with Deguchi Ryusei. The aim of the company is to provide discontinued manga electronically for free. As a test launch of the beta version, all the fourteen volumes of Love Hina manga will be available for free downloading from November 26th. The full launch will be made on January 10th 2011 and scans of out-of-print manga will be provided in PDF format without copy protection.

Layout image of J-Comi website

Akamatsu came up with the idea when he started to receive letters from fans, who obtained his manga by illegal downloading. He thinks it's impossible to eliminate the illegal scans from the internet and it would rather be beneficial if the authors put advertisements to the scans and earn revenue from them. Akamatsu has found the way to establish a "Library of Out-of-print Manga" independent of publishers because publication contracts of manga usually expire in three to five years. Akamatsu is also planning to enable the users to upload scans and to share them via J-Comi after the inspection by the staff and the addition of advertisements.

Sources: Anime!Anime!, Natalie, J Comi official blog

So basically he'll distribute ALL POSSIBLE discontinued titles or only his works?
If he does do what I understood from the lines, hell yeah! Freedom to the Otakus :D
Nov 18, 2010 7:17 PM

Sep 2009
Hell ya.
Now this was a nickass move.
Nov 18, 2010 8:17 PM

Mar 2009
Awesome... Add You're Under Arrest and I would be happy as all get out! :D --- Randy
Nov 19, 2010 12:40 AM

Feb 2008
Celestz said:
dtshyk said:
According to Anime!Anime!, mangaka Akamatsu Ken established a stock company J-Comi with Deguchi Ryusei. The aim of the company is to provide discontinued manga electronically for free. As a test launch of the beta version, all the fourteen volumes of Love Hina manga will be available for free downloading from November 26th. The full launch will be made on January 10th 2011 and scans of out-of-print manga will be provided in PDF format without copy protection.

Layout image of J-Comi website

Akamatsu came up with the idea when he started to receive letters from fans, who obtained his manga by illegal downloading. He thinks it's impossible to eliminate the illegal scans from the internet and it would rather be beneficial if the authors put advertisements to the scans and earn revenue from them. Akamatsu has found the way to establish a "Library of Out-of-print Manga" independent of publishers because publication contracts of manga usually expire in three to five years. Akamatsu is also planning to enable the users to upload scans and to share them via J-Comi after the inspection by the staff and the addition of advertisements.

Sources: Anime!Anime!, Natalie, J Comi official blog

So basically he'll distribute ALL POSSIBLE discontinued titles or only his works?
If he does do what I understood from the lines, hell yeah! Freedom to the Otakus :D

the way i understand it, yes, he wants to have discontinued manga - not just his - to be distributed for free..

i can say it's a good move... for one, i don't see reading manga online as a bad thing for the industry... though i won't mind if they'd put some ads for extra revenue... anyway that's typical of any other free services online..

btw, i'm not much familiar with Love Hina... meanwhile, Akamatsu's other work, Negima, is my favorite manga... :)

EDIT: i just realized, is it RAW scans, or TRANSLATED scans, or both?
agent535Nov 19, 2010 12:46 AM
Nov 19, 2010 2:04 AM

May 2009
agent535 said:
EDIT: i just realized, is it RAW scans, or TRANSLATED scans, or both?

I went to have a look. They're RAW scans.
Nov 19, 2010 7:33 AM
Aug 2010
NICE!! IDEA AKAMATSU SENSEI!!!
Nov 19, 2010 11:17 AM

Jun 2009
Nice.
Nov 19, 2010 12:58 PM

Dec 2009
And THAT'S how it's done.. But it will probably be in Japanese, won't it? D:
Nov 19, 2010 1:41 PM

Jul 2008
midnighteternal said:

Yeah but then if team can use these raw and translate them I don't see why he wouldn't make an english section since he would makes more money.
Nov 22, 2010 10:05 AM

Sep 2009
He is my top favorite artist! And he is just more amazing!

Made by me xD

Dec 6, 2010 4:37 PM
Aug 2010
If this plan go for english or spanish leanguage i will be in first row!!!
Dec 6, 2010 11:34 PM

Apr 2008
Conqueringgodess said:
midnighteternal said:

Yeah but then if team can use these raw and translate them I don't see why he wouldn't make an english section since he would makes more money.

yes indeed. this is one step forward for all of us especially those living outside japan.. that is the way!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Kinema Citrus Announces 'Sayonara Lara', 'Ninja Skooler' Original Anime

DatRandomDude - May 18

17 by Tiyuen210 »»
30 minutes ago

» TV Version of 'Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction' Anime Movie Announced

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Make Heroine ga Oosugiru!' Reveals Lead Cast, Production Staff, First Promo for Summer 2024

Vindstot - Mar 17

11 by Naruleach »»
11 hours ago

» 'Diamond no Ace: Act II' TV Anime Sequel in Production

Vindstot - May 18

20 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Yesterday, 6:58 AM

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - May 14

42 by mokkocchi »»
Yesterday, 5:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.