Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 5, 2010 5:58 PM

Sep 2009
Superluccix said:
First let me say I have never watched Code Geass, and I only assume it was great due to how popular it is, and how I practically havent found anybody who hated it. But the point was using any sort of anime which was considered great, I just wanted to throw an example out, you can replace it with something else as you see fit.

Oh, OK. Fair enough.

Superluccix said:
What exactly makes this show cliche? The personalities of the characters? Sure we have a couple of them we have seen before, if not all. If not that, then what else could it be?

Well, yes. That and the setting.

Superluccix said:
If by going by your definition of Cliche which means a bunch of similar parts being used in 1 anime.....then can you name 5 anime that has basically the same scenario as this? I sure as hell cant name one.

Fruits Basket, Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan, Ouran High School Host Club, Fushiigi Yuugi, Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama.
Oct 5, 2010 6:12 PM
Sep 2010
Only saw a couple episodes of Fruits Baskets, but it was indeed romance, and it involved fantasy, and Im not particular sure on the setting, but Ill give you the benefit of the doubt. But Im pretty sure that a Ministry of Spirits and having multiple male leads for multiple female leads is something that Fruits Basket probably didnt do. But whether that is enough of a reason to say they are different, well that is just opinion I suppose. And Im pretty sure this wasnt taking place in the extreme past like Otome Youkai Zakuro is

Hakuouko Shinsengumi Kitan, I didnt watch this, think it was about Samurais but it had a Bishoujo element and even though I doubt it had fantasy(Well if it did then even more so), and again, I bet it didnt have multiple female leads to support the bunch of male characters, (But I didnt watch the anime so I could be dead wrong)

Ouran Host Club, how the hell is this anything like Otome Youkai Zakuro besides them both being about romance? There isnt even a fantasy element. Hell it doesnt even have action

Fushiigi Yuugi- Never saw it, no idea what its about, but I think I can safely say it didnt involve action, wasnt in historical time, not multiple male and female leads, and wasnt focused HEAVILY on spirits interacting with humans

Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama- I didnt bother watching this, but Im pretty sure it didnt involve fantasy, wasnt in historical time, didnt have multiple female/male relationships(Well it might have, I just only hear about MisaxUsui), and most of all, didnt involve action.

But once again, who am I to decide whats similar or not. I have no idea. You may very well be right on everything you said, and me being dead wrong on everything I said. Since this is more or less of an opinion debate, I think Ill end my selfish comments. I apologize for even bringing more flame to this discussion board. And sorry to everyone who had to see this :( The next comment I will make will be about episode 2.
Oct 5, 2010 6:22 PM

Sep 2009
I think I may have misunderstood the question. No, they don't all involve all the same elements, you've got me there. But it clearly borrows these elements from shows like these.

Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan is probably the closest thing to it. The only major differences are that Hakuouki only has one girl, and that it has no humour. At all. Or anything even the tiniest bit entertaining.
Oct 5, 2010 7:47 PM

Dec 2008
Pretty nice first ep.
Although hope the characters will be properly fleshed out and not be like Maid-sama. :'<

I see a huge discussion here.
No wonder this topic has so many pages.

Well I will be sticking with this anime for a couple eps, see how it goes.
I don't have any high expectations for this though.
Cuz basically every other romantic comedy starts interesting and ends like shit.
DeviantART: apple-seed.deviantart.com
Oct 5, 2010 9:17 PM

Jul 2008
I liked it lol.
Oct 5, 2010 11:10 PM

Sep 2009
This episode turned out better than I thought. I'm starting to wonder if I can keep up with all the shows I'm going to watch this season.
Oct 6, 2010 2:13 AM
Jun 2008
-_-" I wonder what so cliche about this Anime, I don't think I can find an Anime with Bishounen and Bishoujo have a sign of loving each other in the first episode.Every character seems to be fated to have a pair of love mate instead of fighting each other for it....The only Cliche about this Anime is the color and Animation , it makes me remind of some Anime I watch before =P
Oct 6, 2010 3:03 AM

May 2009
Spent most of the episode thinking this is a bit girly, but I'm really enjoying what I'm watching. The themes, while done over and over again, are universal and relatable, so no real issue there. It comes down to the characters and their interaction/chemistry with one another and on this level, it looks like a rather good mix. They are all likable. The characters that should be annoying (like the twins) aren't so far. And the wuss, Kei, is rather funny and is actually quite impressive in the face of danger - well, at least until he's had a chance to think about the situation he's in that is LOL. It's clear that romance is a given with this one, but there should be some decent action too hopefully. So far, so good.
Oct 6, 2010 9:04 AM

Jun 2008
I though this show was going to be average, but i LOVED IT!
My favorite from this season so far^^
Agemaki reminds me of Tamaki :'D
Oct 6, 2010 1:46 PM

Aug 2010
Superluccix said:
First let me say I have never watched Code Geass, and I only assume it was great due to how popular it is, and how I practically havent found anybody who hated it. But the point was using any sort of anime which was considered great, I just wanted to throw an example out, you can replace it with something else as you see fit.

I still dont see how this show can be belittled for being cliche.
What exactly makes this show cliche? The personalities of the characters? Sure we have a couple of them we have seen before, if not all. This is supposed to be a romance anime with a nice atmosphere, and those personalities are ideal for this type of anime, so its obvious you want these personalities. Well not obvious, since I guess any girl with any personality could work, but Im pretty sure these were ideal. If not that, then what else could it be?

If by going by your definition of Cliche which means a bunch of similar parts being used in 1 anime.....then can you name 5 anime that has basically the same scenario as this? I sure as hell cant name one.

Code Geass wasn't "good", it was "fabluous" (as in super gay, that's why it's famous. Anything gay ends up on 4chan. That's how it becomes famous).

Yes, this anime is cliché. Almost all shoujos are cliche. The story isn't exactly the same but there are scenes that keep happening in all of them. And if there isn't an anime with the same king of scenario, then I'm sure there's at least a manga. There are thousands of mangas about youkais still waiting to be animated. And the "a group formed to keep the peace between humans and XXX (XXX being a kind of random monster: youkais, fox girls, spirits, vampires, demons, robots, etc.)" is also used many times. A boy to each girl instead of many boys to just one girl is also used many times. If all those elements were ever used together? I don't know and I don't seriously care, but I could predict 90% of what was going to happen in the Otome Youkai Zakuro manga and I didn't need to read an exact copy.
But it's still a good series to watch.

One shoujo that actually has interesting characters and a plot that was rarely (or even never) used is Otomen, one of my favorite dramas/mangas :3 I still don't understand how it doesn't have an anime yet with the amount of crappy animes being animated lately.
Oct 6, 2010 1:48 PM

Feb 2009
I love it. <3
Riken reminds me of Ryuu from Kimi ni Todoke. :3
Oct 6, 2010 4:13 PM

Jun 2009
The first episode had a good start. I am watching this series.
Oct 6, 2010 10:35 PM

Jul 2009
SoraKuro said:
Superluccix said:

All romance stories are based on Romeo and Juliet.
All revenge stories are based on Hamlet.
All psychological horrors are based on Macbeth.
/thread
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Oct 6, 2010 11:12 PM

Feb 2008
I think I've never expected an anime releasing like I did.~
I was SUPER excited to watch the show!
I've read only the first chapter of the manga, but that's because I couldn't even find the RAWs out there ;o; this manga was an instant +fav, and I've never expected that it would become an anime someday.

I must say, when I saw the commercial I wasn't sure that I was going to like it. The anime art can't be compared to Lily Hoshino's GORGEOUS drawings. I fell in love with the op as soon as I saw it, and I really wanted to watch it on HQ.

*^* finally today I had the chance to watch the anime. OMG!
I almost cried, seriously. My eyes were wide open the entire episode. The show is GREAT!!!~ Art is really, really nice, I could capture AGAIN the feelings that I had while reading the manga. Sound is amazing, the voices couldn't be better. OP and ED are AWESOME!!! *---*~ to sum up, I enjoyed everything!~
The exorcism part was sooo beautiful, it's a really pretty show <333 I couldn't be happier!!~

Someone complained that the art is not as detailed as the manga. But we must keep in mind that's a lot more work involving on making an anime. I actually think they put their best on art, because it's really, really good! I think if they got like, for instance, Zakuro's and the girl's kimono patterns, it would look like Maria Holic or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Don't get me wrong, I love both shows, but I think it wouldn't fit with the rest of Zakuro's art :3

CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK!!!! OOOOOHHH!!
I'm sooo excited *---* I really hope that with the anime, the manga gets more popular and soon there will be some RAWs available! <3

Some may say that's a "girly" show or whatever. I couldn't care less. Look at my nickname. Look at my avatar. HOW COULDN'T I LOVE THIS SHOW???
I've searched a lot for mangas that had a cool character named Zakuro [other than Tokyo Mew Mew's]. And Otome Youkai Zakuro is perfect for me! <3 couldn't love more!!~~

Can't wait to cosplay as Zakuro <3
Oct 6, 2010 11:25 PM

Oct 2008
Hmm...I didn't know that this was marked as seinen. I thought it was a shoujo.
What makes me like it is the comedy.
But the art is beautiful too. Lily Hoshino is great at designing characters. Her girly ukes are beautiful ;)
Oct 7, 2010 3:24 AM

Aug 2010
wheresthehandle said:
SoraKuro said:
Superluccix said:

All romance stories are based on Romeo and Juliet.
All revenge stories are based on Hamlet.
All psychological horrors are based on Macbeth.
/thread

That's not what I was talking about. Lrn2read.
Oct 7, 2010 3:42 AM

Apr 2010
I like it, very nice.
Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 7, 2010 3:41 PM

Aug 2008
dropped, but I loved the ED song!
Oct 7, 2010 8:57 PM

May 2008
A pleasant surprise I might say, will definitely continue watching this.
Oct 9, 2010 12:18 AM

May 2010
hm, interesting ep..

and agemaki was funny.. haha..

will continue to watch this..:D
arbalest27Oct 9, 2010 12:21 AM
Oct 9, 2010 4:21 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Ah, delicious Nakahara Mai is music to my ears~ <3

And she voices such a cute character. I think I'm going to enjoy this a lot.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 9, 2010 7:29 AM

Mar 2010
Pretty ok. Might turn out great, might turn out terrible

That said: glorious character designs and visual style in general
Oct 9, 2010 7:33 AM

Aug 2008
Love the song the girls were singing. :D
haha the blonde soldier is such a wuss it's hilarious.
Oct 9, 2010 7:37 AM
Dec 2007
You can't really go wrong when Chiaki Kon is involved. She's always near the top in terms of character development and direction, and it proves once again with Zakuro. Great introduction.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 9, 2010 12:29 PM

Aug 2007
Agemaki is awesome. Even though he's scared, he saved those two youkai from Raiju. Best bishounen ever. Awesome character designs, Zakuro is pretty cool. Story is pretty predictable if it's me, but I like the way this is going.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Oct 9, 2010 12:49 PM

Jan 2010
Jacut said:
You can't really go wrong when Chiaki Kon is involved. She's always near the top in terms of character development and direction, and it proves once again with Zakuro. Great introduction.

I take it you never played Umineko or Higurashi.

She is the cancer that is killing great visual novels.
Ok™
Oct 9, 2010 1:40 PM

Feb 2008
It was good. The main character is more or less Tamaki in uniform.
Oct 9, 2010 2:51 PM

May 2009
J.C. Staff impress me once again with really good art. The characters seem good and the cast is great. Sakurai Takahiro is one of my favorite male seiyuus and Agemaki was really funny with the way he tried to hide how frightened he was.
Oct 9, 2010 3:17 PM

Mar 2010
Jacut said:

Umineko doesn't ring any bells to you, does it?

Now that was a trainwreck
Oct 10, 2010 7:00 PM

Nov 2007
Everyone is so pretty, props for the art. I also fell in love with Riken immediately, haha. He reminds me of Mori. Actually, this show is pretty much a supernatural Ouran.

Weird that it's tagged as seinen, it seems to me like a straight-up shoujo. Almost excessively so -- most of the characters are shoujo stereotypes (tsundere, pretty boy, stoic guy, cheeky twins, shy girl, kawaii/shota).

Annnnd I just realised that the manga this is based on is from a mangaka who does a lot of yaoi. Interesting.
yamakasiOct 10, 2010 7:08 PM
Oct 11, 2010 5:34 AM

Oct 2008
Linalee-Stratos said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Admittedly, the Seinen tag is the only reason I'm watching this.
No way! I thought this was shoujo all along XD

The only seinen aspect I saw was that the tall and dark stoic character, Riken, reminded me of Rokurouta Sakuragi from Rainbow. Why? Because the characters are highly generic. It's just impossible to get around that, but at least it was in fun to watch. The opening sequence reminded me of Ookami Kakushi however Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is probably more correct, then it quickly jumped into a military Ouran highschool then back into a strange world of Yōkai that had GeGe no Kitaro like characters and of course the Kemonomimi girl love interests for the soldiers. I'm sure there are literally hundreds of other series that a similar to this show, however to me some of the elements were still interesting. Chiaki does have a way sometimes, but I still haven't forgiven her for killing Nodame Cantabile Finale. I'm gonna watch a couple more episodes before I decide whether or not to drop this series.

The art was very clean, what I'd expect from J.C.Staff and Aniplex. The colors were vibrant eye candy. Of course the enchanting cherry blossoms have come to be a staple of anime and were beautiful as ever but just extremely cliche. The animation was clean, and the character designs had clean line work. You could do a lot worse this season, Star Driver for instance makes the level of generics in this series seem tame.
Oct 11, 2010 2:39 PM

Nov 2007
I don't like it when the protagonist is so pathetic.
Oct 11, 2010 11:51 PM
Oct 2009
I like this anime~

Another anime with toyosaki aki and hanazawa kana as seiyuu~
i just love their voice!
Oct 12, 2010 1:57 AM

May 2008
It was hilarious~
Oct 12, 2010 6:22 AM

Oct 2009
I don't know what to think about this. Here's everythig I saw somewhere like Mori without Honey, pokemons, Wedding Peach and so on...
Oct 14, 2010 12:18 AM

Feb 2010
I really liked this!! I am surprised... pleasantly surprised.

The 90's art is fab & i dig all the colors.

YAY for bishounen<3
Oct 14, 2010 8:22 AM

Mar 2009
The song was so good =)
I'm definitely gonna watch this.
Oct 14, 2010 4:02 PM
Mar 2010
I like this ep...
this series remember me some miyazaki's scenario, zakuro instead remember me Alicia of Valkyria chronicles, for her temper and attitudes. It was long time I didn't watch a similar anime genre, I hope this will be nice!!!!
ok, first go, now we must see main plot......

next to 2nd ep
Oct 16, 2010 12:08 PM

Feb 2009
Meh... Not really -bad-, just not particularly -good. Very little that was in any way interesting took place in this episode, IMO. I'd rate the episode a 5 out of 10.

Oct 16, 2010 11:07 PM

Jul 2010
I enjoyed this show a lot more than I thought I would, even though in the beginning when they showed Agemaki surrounded by roses I facepalmed at the stereotypical shoujo-ness of it... XD

I find all the characters and their personalities to be enjoyable, so that's always a plus. The story looks like it will be intersting, the episode had nice pacing, and the show made me smile.

The song that the youkai sang, whatever it was, I loved it! Another part I liked was when Tamaki Suoh... I mean Agemaki, saved the demon kids. But really, doesn't he look like Tamaki from Ouran High School Host Club... kind of? A few other things reminded me of Ouran, too. The "big scary guy" reminds me of Mori, and then there are a pair of twins, given they're girls and not guys. All and all, a good first episode. I'm looking forward to the rest of the show.

The last thing I wanted to mention was Hotaru's voice actor. She voiced Kanade from Angel Beats, Anri from DRRR, and Kobato from... well, Kobato. Need I say more? I didn't pay special attention to her character 'til I heard her voice. She's now official awesome. :)
Oct 18, 2010 4:26 AM

Aug 2009
I prefer the author's yaoi works (although her ukes are so girly that they may as well be girls)

Still, this cute. Hotoru is so frikkin adorable.

Kajikaji and Sakurai, yeah man <3
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Oct 19, 2010 1:29 PM

Jun 2008
Jacut said:

While it is indeed directed well to show us all the characters in a natural way, the characters are pretty generic and unimaginative, as were many of the scenes, particularly those involving the two main characters, so I don't think this episode deserves the praise "great introduction". This is not a direction thing, of course, but a story-is-generic thing. You've seen a lot of anime, so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Oct 20, 2010 2:32 PM

Mar 2010
Not really sure yet.. I'll keep watching a few more first.
Oct 25, 2010 9:36 PM

Aug 2009
*just started watching*

OMG! IM LOVING THIS SHOW! <3
Oct 31, 2010 9:00 AM

Feb 2010
It's actually pretty good. I didn't expect this.
Nov 9, 2010 10:59 AM

Aug 2008
That was an OK episode. I'm not in love with the bishounen meets half-breed demon concept, but the potential romances keep me interested. I'll see where this goes.
Nov 9, 2010 9:29 PM

May 2008
Cool Time Setting.
Nov 19, 2010 8:02 AM

Jul 2010
I am bewitched! I found this episode to be an excellent introduction to the story, with a great mix of comedy, action, and hints of romance. Well balanced and beautifully rendered.
Dec 13, 2010 8:08 AM

Aug 2007
Well, I finally see episode 1. The anime looks interesting.

"What is this white liquied" "Its milk" that part was funny
Dec 23, 2010 6:01 PM

May 2008
So elegant~.

I can tell I'm really going to like this.

I only wish I didn't wait until watching the third episode to make comment on even the first. What you want to say about an episode is always most fresh on your mind just after first finishing. Anyway, everyone here knows I'm a Shinto nut. Plus, another "Pettanko" strong woman and weak man pairing? It clearly doesn't get much better than this.

I... really like how flirtatious the blonde ladies are.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» It was only the perfect anime for the first two episodes until....

Kiryotsu - Jan 31

2 by lifeandstories »»
Feb 1, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2010

70 by CalmTeaTime »»
Dec 11, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 27, 2010

123 by Dawizz »»
Jun 10, 2023 7:08 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2010

82 by Zekkenshin »»
Feb 10, 2021 1:28 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Jinjos - Oct 11, 2010

73 by removed-user »»
Aug 14, 2020 4:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.