Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 17, 2011 11:16 AM

Aug 2007
saka said:
@Bostonblows: Climate change is a certainty, and is the direct result of global warming. Carbon dioxide from cow and pig shit is surprisingly significant (because of massive commercial farming) but really miniscule next to the output of coal burning power plants. Please check out any research not funded by people who make money polluting your air and you'll notice a surprising growth trend that just happens to coincide with the industrial revolution.

I'm a big meat lover myself. Humans are made to eat it, and not having any in your diet is difficult to manage. Humans are at the top of the food chain thanks to science, and it's a natural instinct for humans to crave meat. I've been finding fish is a lot healthier than all the beef and chicken though -- omega-3 acids actually lower your cholesterol which make it a better staple food than prime steak every night (though I do love me some marbled meats). I have a weakness for jerky in all forms too. As long as you watch your salt intake and don't eat it every day, meat is healthy as anything else.

You'll also find if you went back millions of years that global warming and global cooling are natural processes the earth goes through.
Apr 17, 2011 11:59 AM

May 2008
this is true, but it's denial to think that the hundreds of billions of tons of carbon dioxide we have been pumping into the air has no impact.

also, yes... meat.

I am a banana.
Apr 17, 2011 10:31 PM

Sep 2010
meat... the taste.. the smell of it cooked..
Apr 17, 2011 10:40 PM
Apr 2011
i am vegetarian
Apr 18, 2011 12:22 AM

Aug 2009
sparkedglory said:
Everything :D

this.

Apr 18, 2011 11:57 AM

Apr 2011
Well... meat is meat. Humans have fangs, which serve a purpose of tearing flesh. We're omnivorous; there's no alternative to meat, it's essential to live. That's how us humans are made.

And it tastes great with some salad and sauce.
Apr 18, 2011 1:09 PM

Jan 2011
My favourite thing about meat is that the muscles allow me to move my body, forming words and singing by contracting my vocal cords vibrating them by pressing air through them.
My face-meat also lets me smile.

Without meat we'd just be skin and bones, and no one would want that.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Apr 18, 2011 1:41 PM

Apr 2008
DrewTheDude said:
I find it funny how people who point out this statistic totally disregard the fact there's a difference between factory farmed meat and naturally grazed meat. Naturally grazed meat circulate a lot of their carbon when they're properly managed and they pump carbon from the atmosphere into the biosphere rather than the meat itself simply omitting greenhouse gases. The irony here is that livestocks actually HELP carbon levels in the atmosphere and biosphere and gives a good balance to it.

The real problem is factory made meat - which quite frankly should always be monitored. It makes no sense at all to say that meat itself causes Co2 problems.
MaedhrostheTall said:
It... tastes... good?

And I wouldnt say MEAT is the cause of global warming. (you probably meant methane gas) more like humans are. the earth has been naturally warming and cooling forever (the term is global WIERDING i think). the only reason (i believe) global "warming" is even an issue is because of humanity's pollutions. we're the element X in nature. /rant.globalwarming.exe (my fail programming joke has failed :( )

and now to voice my opinion on processed foods/vegans: Anyone close to those that grow the food knows that we use all kinds of chemicals in our crops. pesticides, herbicides etc, and we also know that the crops have been genetically altered to accept the chemicals and still produce yield. now, we eat this stuff all the time, and frankly its disgusting to think about, that those strawberries youre eating were genetically modified and are not natural anymore, and i can understand how vegans feel about this but really what can you do? our bodies have become so used to the altered foods that to stop consuming them would actually be harmful to your body.. factory-processed products are easier (and cheaper) to make than the better quality "organic" stuff you NEED. so theres no way, from a financial standpoint that going au naturale is even a viable option. in my opinion we're fucking ourselves up, and theres nothing we can really do about it. it, like everything else.. all comes down to money.

Herp a derp derp derp

Bostonblows said:
Global warming is fake, the politicians just need you guys to get worked up over something enough to vote for them. And you get convinced that it's real then what? Buy a prius? That's a joke. Anyway meat tastes good, and it's just easy to throw burgers together. I love cows but it's not like i'm killing them directly...it was already sitting in a package when i saw it.

Seriously? You're denying global warming? Pfffft

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/globalwarming/interactive/interactive.html
DrewTheDudeApr 18, 2011 1:44 PM
Apr 19, 2011 12:58 AM

Jan 2011
LOL! Thread says: What do you LIKE about meat? and now it switched to Global Warming. Some people. Oh and a juicy steak. I prefer a porterhouse. I like the fat, its just has more taste IMO. Also some Korean Beef Ribs. If you have not had that, I suggest you try some. Its simply divine.
Be humble or be humbled.
Apr 19, 2011 2:52 AM

May 2010
Not gonna touch global warming.

Just wanted to say a lot of people think you have to go through this excessive amount of trouble to have a healthy diet that doesn't contain meat, but the fact of the matter is most people don't have very good diets to begin with and its not that difficult to maintain a good diet that doesn't contain meat.

For the record, I don't really like meat/poultry. I eat it sometimes though. I like fish quite a bit but also only eat it sometimes.
Apr 19, 2011 6:58 AM

Apr 2009
umami
Apr 19, 2011 7:05 AM

Oct 2009
Easiest way for me to meet my protein needs when gymming hard.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2011 10:17 AM
Mar 2011
The pure satisfaction of knowing that what I am feasting upon was, within the past few days or weeks, walking around on four legs happily enjoying it's day on the farm, unknowingly fattening itself for my plate.
Apr 19, 2011 1:02 PM

Sep 2009
AndyZim said:
The pure satisfaction of knowing that what I am feasting upon was, within the past few days or weeks, walking around on four legs happily enjoying it's day on the farm, unknowingly fattening itself for my plate.

Considering that the vast majority of meat comes from factory farming, it's highly unlikely that the animal you are eating was "happily enjoying its day" or even "walking around on four legs." Unless, of course, you buy your meat from small family farms.
Apr 19, 2011 2:09 PM

Apr 2008
MrBattosai said:
LOL! Thread says: What do you LIKE about meat? and now it switched to Global Warming. Some people. Oh and a juicy steak. I prefer a porterhouse. I like the fat, its just has more taste IMO. Also some Korean Beef Ribs. If you have not had that, I suggest you try some. Its simply divine.

Actually, if you read the first post the whole topic is about global warming and this supposed belief that meat cause it and because of this, why do people eat it.
Apr 19, 2011 7:48 PM
Mar 2011
Neiru2012 said:
AndyZim said:

Considering that the vast majority of meat comes from factory farming, it's highly unlikely that the animal you are eating was "happily enjoying its day" or even "walking around on four legs." Unless, of course, you buy your meat from small family farms.

How do you know what makes an animal happy? You some kind of animal whisperer?

Those animals seem to be standing on four legs and occasionally walking. Correct?
Apr 19, 2011 8:26 PM

Jan 2011
AndyZim said:
Neiru2012 said:
AndyZim said:

Those animals seem to be standing on four legs and occasionally walking. Correct?

You need to be completely retarded to think an animal would be happy in a meat farm. Animals are happy when they are doing what they're supposed to do. Cows would be happy grazing in a field outdoors, not standing in a cage in a huge barn, or a pen, with 2000 other cows.
Occasionally walking? I doubt it.

Sad cows.

Happy cows.
VinterApr 19, 2011 8:29 PM
Apr 19, 2011 8:40 PM

Sep 2009
AndyZim said:

I know it's stupid to legitimize a troll reply, but it's well documented that denying animals the ability to engage in basic natural behaviors, such as exercise in open space and relationship building, gives rise to very unnatural behavioral patterns of stress, aggression, pain, and other forms of suffering (specific manifestations vary between species). In addition to psychological harm, many animals are bred to grotesque aberrations of their natural form which makes it difficult if not impossible for them to engage in natural behaviors even if they were given the opportunity.
Apr 19, 2011 8:45 PM

Nov 2010
This is all california's fault, if we just chopped it off and let it sink, problem solved.
Apr 19, 2011 9:23 PM

Apr 2010
What a silly question.

We like the taste, of course.
Apr 19, 2011 9:45 PM

Jun 2008
People need to learn to stop giving human qualities to animals. It makes the process a lot more easy to handle and accept.
Apr 19, 2011 10:15 PM
Nov 2010
Bostonblows said:
This is all california's fault, if we just chopped it off and let it sink, problem solved.

I wish we could split from the rest of the United Sates our economy would skyrocket.
Apr 20, 2011 8:22 AM

Jan 2011
Kinoholic said:
People need to learn to stop giving human qualities to animals. It makes the process a lot more easy to handle and accept.

I don't think it's really a matter of anthropomorphism. Animals shouldn't be treated like humans, just like humans shouldn't be treated like animals. Every creature has different needs and desires and you need to accomodate that in order for the animal to be mentally and physically healthy.

For example: Dogs who don't have a proper master become aggressive since they don't want democracy, they want to be told what to do, and without an alpha dog they feel the need to be one themselves, and they can't handle that around humans.

However, no animal should be treated like mass-produced kitchen appliances and stacked on top of one another for convenience.
When you have a bunch of cows standing in their own excrement for half their lives, all bunched up together you get an atmosphere of dread, making the cows stressed, and create an environment ripe for bacteria and viral infections. And then humans eat the meat of these cows.

Healthy animals = good meat = healthy humans.
That's really all there is to it. Kobe beef is considered the best, and is the most expensive in the world because they treat the cows well, and then the meat becomes better.
Apr 20, 2011 9:00 AM
Mar 2011
Neiru2012 said:
AndyZim said:

I know it's stupid to legitimize a troll reply, but it's well documented that denying animals the ability to engage in basic natural behaviors, such as exercise in open space and relationship building, gives rise to very unnatural behavioral patterns of stress, aggression, pain, and other forms of suffering (specific manifestations vary between species). In addition to psychological harm, many animals are bred to grotesque aberrations of their natural form which makes it difficult if not impossible for them to engage in natural behaviors even if they were given the opportunity.

Considering the cows we have now are "grotesque aberrations" now, would you say Vinter's example of happy cows would be incorrect? Are you saying that it would be impossible to now have a "happy cow" and it would be inhumane to keep the breed going? Are you saying it would be more merciful to completely wipe out the species so that there is no way we can be cruel to them?

I doubt that's what you had in mind, but I will ask anyways.
Apr 20, 2011 10:16 AM

Jan 2011
AndyZim said:
Neiru2012 said:
AndyZim said:

Considering the cows we have now are "grotesque aberrations" now, would you say Vinter's example of happy cows would be incorrect? Are you saying that it would be impossible to now have a "happy cow" and it would be inhumane to keep the breed going? Are you saying it would be more merciful to completely wipe out the species so that there is no way we can be cruel to them?

I doubt that's what you had in mind, but I will ask anyways.

Things like Belgian Blue and Bulldogs are not different species, they're breeds, regular animals that through generations of breeding got all fucked up and deformed, sort of like inbreeding humans, but less taboo.
They're nothing but horrible deformed monstrosities created by man. It'd be merciful to wipe them out and never make more of them.
Apr 20, 2011 10:25 AM

Sep 2009
AndyZim said:

Normal cows that are able and allowed to engage in healthy, natural cow behaviors aren't aberrations. I'm talking about things like chickens and turkeys being bred with breasts so large that they can't lift themselves up and crush their own bones and sometimes organs under their weight. Yes, I don't think these should be bred at all, because they have no quality of life and can't survive.
Apr 20, 2011 10:39 AM
Mar 2011
Neiru2012 said:

Normal cows that are able and allowed to engage in healthy, natural cow behaviors aren't aberrations. I'm talking about things like chickens and turkeys being bred with breasts so large that they can't lift themselves up and crush their own bones and sometimes organs under their weight. Yes, I don't think these should be bred at all, because they have no quality of life and can't survive.

I will admit, that IS disturbing. I don't want that on my plate at all. Perhaps there will come a day that justice shall come to the factory farmers.
Apr 20, 2011 10:46 AM

Oct 2007
Lol. What a question yumyum ^_^
Ok, the first thing would be that protein is the main source of one of the basic food groups that humans need to survive, in addition to providing minerals and other basic necessities.
Secondly, humans are omnivorous. We have canines to rip up meat, not crunch veggies. Major hint right there.
Thirdly, I don't think I could survive in a world without steak. *u*
Apr 21, 2011 5:42 AM

Jan 2009
It's delicious!
Apr 23, 2011 7:26 AM

Dec 2009
jefba said:
It's delicious!

Apr 23, 2011 7:33 AM
Apr 2011
It is delicious and also ... smells naaice :/ ... since i am not a vampire ... i dont eat it for blood , blood is not tasty also :|
Apr 23, 2011 7:49 AM

Jul 2009
Neliei said:
jefba said:
It's delicious!

^ This.

There's nothing like an oozing rare steak.

Is it cruel? probably. I just don't really care, there are worse things going on in the world.
Apr 23, 2011 3:12 PM

Feb 2009
Flavor, texture, and just plain all around goodness. No vegetable will ever produce a meat substitute that actually tastes like meat, just like there has never been a successful sugar substitute that actually tastes like sugar.

But,... if you wer looking to the closest non-animal product that tastes similar, start with mushrooms. The right ones, and by right means they don't come in a can, have a similar taste/texture.
Is there another word for synonym?
Apr 23, 2011 3:45 PM

Dec 2010
I Like the Japanese character for Meat :
Apr 23, 2011 4:04 PM

Feb 2011
It is a great reminder that we are on top of the food chain.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.