Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 13, 2010 2:22 PM

Jun 2008
Here's an interesting story of Steve Jobs last visit to Japan

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/09/14/steve-jobs-now-ex-ninja-ill-never-come-to-japan-again/

^Article is safe, website is NSFW.

So Steve Jobs is now threatening to "never come back" to Japan because they wouldn't let him take home a shuriken on his private jet.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 13, 2010 2:29 PM

Nov 2008
Steve Jobs really wants to be held for 28 days in prison where they can torture him for his technological secrets.

Sep 13, 2010 2:37 PM

May 2010
Lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 13, 2010 3:47 PM

May 2008
What kind of Ninja can't even sneak a Shuriken on a plane?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 13, 2010 3:53 PM

Mar 2009
Steve Jobs has always been arrogant, that's how the first breakup with Apple happened. Not surprising he still has it. He's a good businessman, but not the nicest guy.
Sep 13, 2010 4:29 PM

Jun 2008
Steve Jobs <Japan

HOWEVER:

iPod>Steve Jobs

THEREFORE

iPod > or = Japan???
Sep 13, 2010 4:44 PM
Feb 2010
Hmmm... who's right? I mean, it is his jet, but there are still laws. But, while I don't particularly like Japan too much, but they are our biggest ally, and all Steve's ever done is set technology back a few years, so I guess I'll have to side with Japan on this one.

By the way, anyone know a userscript, plugin, or maybe just an ABP filter that can remove all that crap surrounding the article on the site?

Although the comments are interesting.

“Those Yanks think they can do whatever they like, don’t they?”
“This is Japan, if you want you can go and wave guns around in your own country!”
robfosterSep 13, 2010 4:54 PM
Sep 13, 2010 4:47 PM

Oct 2009
nerb said:
Hmmm... who's right? I mean, it is his jet, but there are still laws. But, while I don't particularly like Japan too much, but they are our biggest ally, and all Steve's ever done is set technology back a few years, so I guess I'll have to side with Japan on this one.

By the way, anyone know a userscript, plugin, or maybe just an ABP filter that can remove all that crap surrounding the article on the site?
NoScript + Adblock Plus
Sep 13, 2010 5:07 PM
May 2010
lol!

Ah man, sansakucomplex... How did I go from that article to reading about schoolgirls selling panties and nude mod for FF14? >_>

Carry on.
(」・ω・)」うー!(/・ω・)/にゃー!
Sep 13, 2010 5:39 PM

Feb 2005
Couldn't he just, have stuck it into the main luggage or something? It's only in the hand luggage that you can't bring knives and stuff, right?
Or maybe that's just Norway. Hell, we managed to get a G3 magazine (Unloaded but still) through the check no problem.
Sep 13, 2010 6:41 PM
Feb 2010
Baman said:
Couldn't he just, have stuck it into the main luggage or something? It's only in the hand luggage that you can't bring knives and stuff, right?
Or maybe that's just Norway. Hell, we managed to get a G3 magazine (Unloaded but still) through the check no problem.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can load up an unloaded AK or 887 in your luggage in the US as long as you declare it to the lady at the counter.
Sep 13, 2010 6:46 PM

Nov 2006
Steve Jobs is a dick; everybody already knows this.

Lol @ linking to Sancock.
Sep 13, 2010 6:55 PM

Jun 2008
windy said:

It's not nice to insult Steve Jobs or Sankaku, they are both very powerful entities with a lot of raging fanboys...
Sep 13, 2010 6:57 PM

Apr 2010
Lol so Steve Jobs can't put a shuriken in his shirt sleeve or pocket or something and just fly on home? Damn I know some people that would have been able to sneak swords, other assorted blades out of Japan if they had their own private jet.

Sep 13, 2010 6:57 PM

Aug 2010
nerb said:
Baman said:

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can load up an unloaded AK or 887 in your luggage in the US as long as you declare it to the lady at the counter.

Depends on the state, I thinks ak's are illegal in a few states. I've seen military guys loading there guns, but they sure aren't in carry on bags
Sep 13, 2010 7:01 PM

Nov 2006
alexcampos said:
windy said:

It's not nice to insult Steve Jobs or Sankaku, they are both very powerful entities with a lot of raging fanboys...
I'm sure he also knows he's a dick.

The only thing Sancock is good for is a laugh at its expense. Come at me, fanboys.
Sep 13, 2010 7:28 PM

Aug 2010
So, let me get this straight. Jobs was too stupid to sneak some shuriken into his own jet, and blames it on security for doing their goddamn job? Oh c'mon, you gotta be shittin' me.
Sep 13, 2010 8:18 PM
Aug 2010
windy said:
alexcampos said:
windy said:

I'm sure he also knows he's a dick.

The only thing Sancock is good for is a laugh at its expense. Come at me, fanboys.

Well sankaku might not be the best place, but at least they have better rules than MAL, and they give us articles besides anime and manga, the only thing I hate about that place is the fact that everyone there is a fucking troll.
Sep 13, 2010 9:27 PM

Nov 2007
ichigo03 said:
but at least they have better rules than MAL
the only thing I hate about that place is the fact that everyone there is a fucking troll.
So, how are those better rules working out for good old Shitkaku?
Sep 13, 2010 9:28 PM

Oct 2007
Looks like God is pissed.
Sep 13, 2010 10:05 PM
Feb 2010
Xjellocross said:
ichigo03 said:
the only thing I hate about that place is the fact that everyone there is a fucking troll.

Rules? I thought the only rules were: Don't make pointless polls, and don't make stupid polls. And those that fit those merely go to spam.
Sep 13, 2010 11:07 PM

Jun 2008
nerb said:
Xjellocross said:
ichigo03 said:

Rules? I thought the only rules were: Don't make pointless polls, and don't make stupid polls. And those that fit those merely go to spam.

I personally like Sankaku because it's got a bigger and better depth of the Japanese culture, far more than just anime and manga.

ALSO, the "Sankaku Channel" is very well made, not to mention the "Idol Channel", for those of us who want to see 3D girls instead of 2D.
Sep 13, 2010 11:15 PM

Aug 2007
LordCooler said:
So, let me get this straight. Jobs was too stupid to sneak some shuriken into his own jet, and blames it on security for doing their goddamn job? Oh c'mon, you gotta be shittin' me.

It was his own jet so they made a big deal out of nothing. Of course he could always ship it home.
Sep 13, 2010 11:17 PM

Mar 2008
Japanese Law - It just werks!
Sep 13, 2010 11:46 PM
Feb 2010
Fui said:
Japanese Law - It just werks!

Actually, what I'm wondering is if there's a country where this wouldn't have happened. They all pretty much do the same thing. Except Israel. But Israel's techniques wouldn't work well in Japan, since they'd flag anyone Japanese as a suicide risk.
Sep 14, 2010 4:51 AM

Feb 2008
I would do the same thing, except I wouldn't get caught.
Sep 14, 2010 4:55 AM

Aug 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
It was his own jet so they made a big deal out of nothing. Of course he could always ship it home.

Law is law pal. It's not because it's Jobs or because it's a private jet, if it's in the law then it's gotta be done. Jobs was probably overreacting, being the spoiled little dick he is.
Sep 14, 2010 6:19 AM

Sep 2010
llxwarbirdxll said:
Looks like God is pissed.

Haruhi gonna make him disapear. =3=
Please feed my cute little babies~ =3
Sep 14, 2010 8:12 AM

Jul 2010
Well... what could we expect from someone who makes a living selling overpriced gadgets with obsolete hardware as if that stuff was the last cookie in the jar?

Jobs is stupid, that's nothing new about it.
Sep 14, 2010 9:12 AM

Sep 2010
Ryouiki said:
Well... what could we expect from someone who makes a living selling overpriced gadgets with obsolete hardware as if that stuff was the last cookie in the jar?

That's why I always make sure there isn't any cookie left by eating them all =3
Love your metaphor. So true.
Sep 14, 2010 9:43 AM

Jun 2008
Ryouiki said:

OK, name a better MP3 player than the iPod...

When the iPhone came out, it changed everything, every "smartphone" now has a touch screen and are clones of the iPhone.

Overpriced.........YES

Obsolete hardware........I don't think so

BTW, I'm not an idiotic Apple fanboy, I'm just stating the facts.
Sep 14, 2010 10:07 AM

Aug 2007
LordCooler said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Law is law pal. It's not because it's Jobs or because it's a private jet, if it's in the law then it's gotta be done. Jobs was probably overreacting, being the spoiled little dick he is.

Doesn't matter. They overreacted.

alexcampos said:
Ryouiki said:

OK, name a better MP3 player than the iPod...

When the iPhone came out, it changed everything, every "smartphone" now has a touch screen and are clones of the iPhone.

Overpriced.........YES

Obsolete hardware........I don't think so

Creative Zen.
Sep 14, 2010 10:36 AM

Sep 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
Creative Zen.

Lol. Exactly my thought. Maybe it doesn't have the "OMG so fashion" but it does its job. It plays effing mp3's.
Sep 14, 2010 12:14 PM

Jun 2008
dK-Lapinou said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Creative Zen.

Lol. Exactly my thought. Maybe it doesn't have the "OMG so fashion" but it does its job. It plays effing mp3's.

So does the iPod, along with a million other things, can the creative Zen record HD video, download apps, go into an effective internet browser???

It's a miracle that I even know about this device, I willing to bet that over 90% of people DON'T.

Again, just because it's overpriced doesn't mean it's not worth it, you pay more money for better quality.....EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!
Sep 14, 2010 1:56 PM

May 2008
I'm a pc man, but also an ipod fanboy, but come on Steve. It's a freakin' weapon. Don't be a whiney bitch. Just gladly hand over the stupid shuruken and get on your plane.
Sep 14, 2010 3:40 PM

Aug 2007
alexcampos said:
dK-Lapinou said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Creative Zen.

So does the iPod, along with a million other things, can the creative Zen record HD video, download apps, go into an effective internet browser???

It's a miracle that I even know about this device, I willing to bet that over 90% of people DON'T.

Again, just because it's overpriced doesn't mean it's not worth it, you pay more money for better quality.....EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!

Except Ipods are pieces of shit so you pay for shit quality.
Sep 14, 2010 4:16 PM

Feb 2008
u guys r just all butthurt that he's a rich bastard :3
Sep 14, 2010 5:21 PM

Jun 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Except Ipods are pieces of shit so you pay for shit quality.

You don't really believe that do you???

I'm mean C'mon, that's a trollish statement if I ever saw one.
Sep 14, 2010 6:43 PM

Jul 2010
The only thing i have against Jobs and Apple is that they market their stuff for it's "fashion appeal" and "coolness" instead of it's utility. As people already said in this thread, you can buy gadgets with the same features as Apple's stuff for a fraction of their price.

And about the obsoleteness coment, the way Apple is restrictive about their computer's hardware puts them years behind current PCs. Personally, i think the ability to chose whatever i want inside my box have an advantage over having under-specced components encased in glossy white plastic.
RyouikiSep 14, 2010 6:55 PM
Sep 14, 2010 9:45 PM
Aug 2010
Meh, he has a fair point, this is another prime example of a rule that is badly designed and does not fulfill its function here. The rule is obviously designed to combat terrorism. But the rule should have an extra clause specifying different rules for private jets. If he wanted to fly it through a building, he could just do so.

So in the end, you might as well ban private jets really if you're so serious about combating terrorism, which is a moral hysteria by the way and hardly a real thread.
Sep 14, 2010 10:01 PM
Aug 2010
alexcampos said:
dK-Lapinou said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Creative Zen.

No, and neither does the iPod, the iPhone does however.

Regarldess, the iPhone is a different thing altogether, it's not an MP3 player, it's a PDA, a handheld palm computer, and those existed long before the iPod, and a lot are there that are cheaper and can do more.

Interestingly you tie these two things together, because this is the point. You don't pay for quality, you pay for getting it known.

When you buy an iPhone, the advertisement campaign to get the thing that known with the public costs the company more than the parts to produce the thing. And that is reflected in the price, which makes the circle complete as said advertisement campaign convinces people without a critical mindset that it's some wondrous appliance.

Advertisement is expensive, and the company needs to get that back, so you can expect that all products who have an extensive advertisement campaign have a lower quality / price ratio than is strictly needed. Advertisement simply is a lot more expensive than parts to produce such a thing.

You pay almost a million USD per second of advertisement during the super bowl. The parts to produce one iPhone will not cost them more than 20 USD, there have been 41 mil iPhones sold.

The sheer amount of advertisement you see for them makes you estimate that per iPhone sold, they paid at least 50 USD on advertisement alone. And you're paying 50 USD extra for that.

Well-known products are never well-known because of their quality, they are well-known because of the amounts of advertisement. Audiophiles and technically oriented people who do their research and actually can read hardware specs almost never get popular brands because they simply lack in quality for their price.

The iPhone is nothing new, it's not a phone, it's a PDA, and PDA's that could phone have been around for ages and ages and ages, and cheaper, and can do more than an iPhone. And they're cheaper because their producers don't have to account for huge and huge advertisement campaigns.

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h517.htm

This thing is from 2003, one of the first of these PDA's that oculd also dial, it's years and years old and already has most of the capabilities of an iPhone and was actually cheaper when it was released. This was 2003.

The iPhone may be revolutionary when you brand it as phone, but as you realize it's actually a PDA, it's extremely lacking. Most PDA's today come with a retractible keyboard, could ehh, copy and paste from the beginning? and are true computers than run a true operating system that essentially have all the specs computers had in the year 2003-2004, the iPhone fails to produce this, yet it's a lot more expensive. This is because PDA's are generally marketed towards technically inclined people who do their research before they buy. Whereas apple products nowadays are marketed to people that like to spend a lot of money on shit that is advertised that lacks in features, and of which they don't use the meagre features that it has anyway.
Sep 14, 2010 10:05 PM

Feb 2009
So the Japanese really do use "hage/baldie" as an insult
Sep 14, 2010 10:09 PM
Aug 2010

'Calvin & Jobs', buahahaha.
Sep 14, 2010 10:53 PM

Jul 2010
Zebraman said:

'Calvin & Jobs', buahahaha.

Love it!
Sep 15, 2010 12:13 AM

Oct 2007
alexcampos said:
dK-Lapinou said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Creative Zen.

alexcampos said:

Sep 15, 2010 12:21 AM

Apr 2008
Zebraman said:

more or less spot on, but....
alexcampos said:
idiotic Apple fanboy

Sep 15, 2010 12:35 AM
Feb 2010
Zebraman said:
The iPhone may be revolutionary when you brand it as phone, but as you realize it's actually a PDA, it's extremely lacking. Most PDA's today come with a retractible keyboard, could ehh, copy and paste from the beginning? and are true computers than run a true operating system that essentially have all the specs computers had in the year 2003-2004, the iPhone fails to produce this, yet it's a lot more expensive. This is because PDA's are generally marketed towards technically inclined people who do their research before they buy. Whereas apple products nowadays are marketed to people that like to spend a lot of money on shit that is advertised that lacks in features, and of which they don't use the meagre features that it has anyway.
You know, I probably own too much shit from Palm, but... Pretty much everything the Iphone is, my Lifedrive was 5 years ago. Also, my Treo is incredibly old, and I don't even use data (it was a gift, and this was back when a smartphone wasn't tethered to the data service and refused to turn on without a plan), but I've been using it for half a decade, and it even one-ups it with things like "buttons", a stylus, SD slot, a keyboard, etc. Oh, and it has a hardware switch for the ringer, so you can turn it off when it's in your pocket.

Oh, but I think you overstated Superbowl commercials. Last year they were about 2.2 million for 30 seconds.
Sep 15, 2010 2:55 AM
Aug 2010
nerb said:

Oh, but I think you overstated Superbowl commercials. Last year they were about 2.2 million for 30 seconds.
Oh yeah, woops, was a zero off. I read 27 500 000 from that graph instead of 2 750 000.
Sep 15, 2010 7:25 AM

Jun 2008
Zebraman said:
alexcampos said:
dK-Lapinou said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Creative Zen.

No, and neither does the iPod, the iPhone does however.

Dude are you serious???

Ever heard of the iPod Touch???

It DOES do everything I described and a lot more, and it's primary function is still to be an MP3 player.

As far as I know there is not another MP3 player in this world that does what the iPod Touch 4th generation does.

I could care less about the iPhone, that's a ripoff, but the iPod Touch is legitimate quality.

I can't believe were having this discussion, you have to be INSANE to believe there are better MP3 players outside of the iPod.

better priced, YES, but better in quality?? Absolutely NOT

http://www.consumersearch.com/mp3-players

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-mp3-players/

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/1663/top_10_mp3_players_flashbased.html

Hating Steve Jobs and Apple, doesn't mean you should lose all sense of sanity in a very simple issue like this.
Sep 15, 2010 9:16 AM
Aug 2010
alexcamposDude are you serious???

Ever heard of the [b said:

iPod Touch???

It DOES do everything I described and a lot more, and it's primary function is still to be an MP3 player.
The iPod touch is very different from all other iPods, in fact, it's closer to the iPhone, it runs iPhone OS, it shares about 90% of iPhone hardware and it heavily cannibalizes its design. It's essentially just a lighter iPhone branded under another name.

As far as I know there is not another MP3 player in this world that does what the iPod Touch 4th generation does.
Quite correct, but any PDA nowadays does the same.

the iPod Touch is simply a PDA, and not a very impressive one. But if they call it an MP3 player people think it has an insane amount of features. When you realize it's basically just a meagre and overpriced then it's less impressive.

That thing also does all the iPod Touch does, and more, and oh, it's cheaper too.

I could care less about the iPhone, that's a ripoff, but the iPod Touch is legitimate quality.
O Rly? They run the same OS, made of the same parts, same design, same all except that the iPod Touch has a biit less features.

I can't believe were having this discussion, you have to be INSANE to believe there are better MP3 players outside of the iPod.

Okay, the review on those sites look like this:

The newest iPod nano continues to impress reviewers, and it easily wins the title of best overall MP3 player. Introduced in September, the fifth-generation iPod nano adds a slightly larger 2.2-inch display, a video camera and a pedometer; it's also the first iPod to include an FM radio. These extra features, coupled with the nano's slim, lightweight design, lead many experts to conclude that this is the best nano yet. Audio quality is good (though not the very best), and video playback is impressive, despite the small screen. Reviewers like the simplicity of the video camera, but nearly all question the placement near the bottom of the iPod, because it's easy to obscure the lens with your fingers. Video quality isn't stellar, but it's good enough for posting videos to YouTube or Facebook. A 16 GB version (*Est. $170) is also available.

Now, read this:

http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/04/samsung-p3-review/

Observe the difference of those two media. The latter does not give a 'value judgement', it doesn't say if it's good or bad, it lists its technical specs in depth, it raises the issues, points out the things you need to know. It gives you a very detailed description about what the appliance really is so that you can make up your own mind if the pros outweigh the cons or not before you even buy it.

This site is geared towards technically inclined people, who do research, who understand hardware and technical jargon, and who for some reason all don't like iPods.

The 'reviews' of those sites are a total laugh, they don't tell me anything at all, it's like reading a review for a film in a newspaper, you still know nothing in the end. You just know if the author likes it or not, and reading from the profound lack of in-depth analysis, the author probably didn't test that thoroughly.

Hating Steve Jobs and Apple, doesn't mean you should lose all sense of sanity in a very simple issue like this.
I don't hate Steve Jobs, I think he's a fascinating man, I don't hate Apple either, I do have a grudge against iPod, but nothing against Mac OS X. Things like the MacBook Air are also a total sham.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.