Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2010 10:19 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
One of the most powerful moments I have ever seen in anime ='/

We also take a peek into what's going to be the future plot (a lot of introduced characters, Conan's departing in search for Lana, Lao's mentioning, etc.)

Oh the readhead girl reminded me of Nausicaa!

I also can't help but also mention the absolutely beautiful visuals of this anime, they are simply stunning. Considering this series is from 30+ years ago and that the visuals still look fresh, it is quite the remarkable feat.

PS: Conan has got some pretty strong feet! :P (as well as overall strong inhuman physical prowess)
Sep 30, 2010 5:59 PM

Feb 2010
Hehe I had exactly the same thoughts. About the visuals and about his strengt, especially in his feet. Conan is just awesome, he is independent, strong (mentally and physically) and I love how he uses his feet as if they were just another pair of hands.
Also the future plot hints seem to be interesting. Good show so far :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 9, 2011 9:14 PM
Jul 2010
Veethorn said:
Oh the readhead girl reminded me of Nausicaa!
Me too! Functionally she's almost identical to Kushana, but looks-wise you hit the mark. For me at least, it's actually hard to separate my considerable admiration for Nausicaa from the apparent villainy of this early version. Just need time I guess.

Barring his (hilarious) foot antics, Conan is very smart. He figured out through sheer intuition things that took scientists years of experimentation. He created a structurally sound and balanced ship that maintains buoyancy, complete with a sail to manipulate the winds. And by the looks of things all the planning, gathering, and construction was completed in one day. Impressive stuff
Dec 22, 2011 9:19 PM

Jun 2009
Luthimal said:

Barring his (hilarious) foot antics, Conan is very smart. He figured out through sheer intuition things that took scientists years of experimentation. He created a structurally sound and balanced ship that maintains buoyancy, complete with a sail to manipulate the winds. And by the looks of things all the planning, gathering, and construction was completed in one day. Impressive stuff

The show, don't tell rule at it's absolute best.

Great series so far. That rock scene, which I'm sure is the one Veethorn was talking about, was powerful. Great stuff, I think I'm going to love this series. If I don't already.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 16, 2013 8:43 PM
Oct 2008
Do they ever explain why everyone else on the island suddenly died after Conan was born? Because it really feels like they all got brushed aside without much comment.
May 8, 2014 10:33 AM

Apr 2012
Conan has Ponyo feet! ^_^
Mar 31, 2015 5:25 AM

Jun 2013
Nice, the plot kicks in early. Let the journey begin!
GreatRumbler said:
Do they ever explain why everyone else on the island suddenly died after Conan was born? Because it really feels like they all got brushed aside without much comment.

*replies to an old comment* They likely died of old age.
Jan 24, 2016 1:57 AM

Nov 2011
NIGGa DAMN THIS SHOW KNOWS WHAT'S IT DOING

I am SO glad Lana isn't a despicable bitch WHO CAN ACTUALLY TALK TO ANIMALS.

Conan must be good at giving footjobs as well
Mar 31, 2017 2:43 PM

Nov 2012
I find it strange that none of the old inhabitants of the island tried making a boat and searching for other islands. Although, I suppose it's possible they have and we just weren't told about it.

I wonder how Conan plans to find one, though... If the Earth is mostly flooded in their universe, it's going to be like searching for a needle in a haystack the size of a country. He does know which direction the hydroplane went off in, but who knows if they could have changed course later on.
Nov 9, 2017 6:26 PM

Nov 2017
The response from the woman saying that the old man had no authority was quite impressive to be honest. I'm starting to guess the 'villains' of this show will have more dimension than the norm usually allows. Damsel in distress, why not? Though, he can't save her so it wasn't as irritating. 4/5
LumsiNov 9, 2017 11:06 PM
Nov 10, 2017 10:31 AM

Jun 2014
Seeing Conan's Grandfather die was very sad to watch, but now Conan knows that he has to move on, and find Lana.

And yes, Conan seems to be much stronger than the average human.

Apr 5, 2018 6:59 PM

Nov 2016
Oh shit.. well it would have surprised me if Conans grandfather would have taken the damage from last episode so easily.

Pretty sad that he had to go,but I thought that his death was handled quite well, includong Conans reaction which was fitting to how his character was introduced so far and the story about his arrival on the island,that was a nice touch.

Also fairly sure that this event is already triggering Conans character development, looking forward to more.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 24, 2018 6:07 AM

Jul 2008
Is this kid batman or something?! Hanging on to a plane by his toes?! Look I admit I burst out loud laughing at that part, I couldn't help it.

But jeez this kid had a rough life. He gets born and everyone else dies within what 8 years?
Sep 29, 2020 11:39 AM

Jan 2010
Anti-industry, calls to a return to nature, celebration of youth with a reverence to the wisdom of age, and an indictment of older generations for their folly. Yeah, this is definitely a Miyazaki work. Also, seeing Conan struggle to pick up those rocks really makes me think that either the shark he caught in the first episode was crazy light, or those rocks were stupid heavy.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 21 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 14, 2010

14 by Cosplay_Joe »»
Today, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 26 Discussion

storm-12 - Aug 14, 2010

37 by AverageRiceFan »»
Apr 22, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 19 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 9, 2010

14 by MoblinGoblin »»
Apr 4, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 8, 2010

11 by MoblinGoblin »»
Apr 4, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - Aug 6, 2010

11 by MoblinGoblin »»
Mar 27, 1:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.