Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jul 26, 2010 11:47 AM
Feb 2010
RIP ONEMANGA?

WELL LIKE I SAID IN THE OTHER THREAD FOR ONEMANGA IN THE NEWS DISCUSSION

U WIN SOME U LOSE SOME

Jul 26, 2010 12:13 PM

Dec 2009
Didn't visit the site for more than 10 times, But knew this site while I was browsing painful-news, here are the capture of the Japaneses' responses.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/dqnplus/archives/1512612.html
Jul 26, 2010 12:20 PM
Oct 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

I bolded every part I'm responding too.

1) I certainly hope so. :P

2) That is quite asinine. Why would anybody want sub only releases? I mean sure dubs are usually bad but come on. Dual audio is always better.

3) Yeah. Good luck watching them in any country that isn't the U.S. and Canada.

2.) I don't know. I remember before the sub-only releases and before the recession got really bad sub fans had always complained about dubs being on the releases and that basically they didn't want to pay for it with the dub on it. Why? I'm not exactly sure since unlike years before you actually have a choice and aren't forced to watch it with the dub. The price differences aren't even that significant between the dual audio and sub releases...particularly the complete collections. Kannagi sub only is the same price as majority of the dual audio complete collections :0

3.) Yeah, I already covered that I'm mainly referring to the US though I think there are a few simulcasts in other countries but that might have just been with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Tachii said:
CapellaStar said:
Again, what I'm saying is that anime fans in the US complain all of the time about anime in the US being expensive when comparing the price of a full season boxset to a season of a non-anime series like Avatar, Justice League, or Community the price difference isn't that huge particularly if you can find it on sale which isn't hard.
Can't disagree with that, I guess. I do see a lot of people reasoning that it's too expensive for them. Though it somewhat goes back to what I said before. If they had fansubs first, what incentive do they have to buy DVDs? The only reasonable answer is to "support the industry". Costs shouldn't really matter, if there was enough of an incentive. In this case (for those who did use fansubs), those who complain about cost either can't think of a proper reason, or just don't have money at all and the cost, whatever it is, is irrelevant. They'd say it's expensive as long as it couldn't fit under their budget, instead comparing relative prices to Japanese sales or non-anime series (they're the people who'd probably call them expensive, too).

I guess another question arises. Who exactly are the type of people who are calling it too expensive? People who aren't old enough to have a decent job or have a decent job in the first place? People who used fansubs and couldn't get around streaming? People whose parents will always say no to buying stuff they don't want their kids to waste money on? People who are stupid and couldn't explain in any other way than to say it's expensive? It's difficult to say. Probably a mix of all.

Saying it was expensive is probably the easiest explanation. Less words and probably less embarrassing, than say for example, my parents do not allow me to buy anime DVDs at all. They think it's a waste of time, and I don't have a job, so I can't get any. So yeah, I suck.

This is just my experience, but yes there are people in the US who say that anime is too expensive because they are either too young to work or really have no way to afford it which is understandable.

However, I've found a lot of fans are saying anime is too expenisve because they just don't want to pay for it and want to continue downloading, even if you show them places where anime is more affordable. Which is then where other excuses come about the packaging not being this way, the subs not being this way, or the dub being present, etc.

While I understand that having fansubs gives you no incentive to buy anything(even though I don't entirly agree with that) I thought the whole purpose of fansubs in the first place was to provide subs for unknown series to countries where anime wasn't available or in the case of the US, provide subs for unknown series in hopes of it getting released.
Jul 26, 2010 1:01 PM

Jun 2008
CapellaStar said:

Yes I do own an mp3 player and yes 100% of the songs on there aren't legally downloaded but I can say 85%-90% of them are. The songs that I own that aren't legally downloaded aren't because I refuse to pay for it, it's because I couldn't find it legally at the time without buying the whole CD.

It's impossible to own DVDs for all of the anime I've seen considering some of them aren't even licensed or have yet to be released. Also, some of the series are out of print so while I would love to get a hold of them, I can't. However, out of the series that are available in the US, yes I do own majority of them on DVD. Some of them not in their complete collections but I've purchased them.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I don't think I've ever said I'm perfect or that I don't download anything, particularly since on my animelist I have it stated how I watched majority of the series I've watched. I do, however, try to buy what I've watched particularly if I really enjoyed it and sometimes I even blind buy the first part of a series if I've heard enough good things about it.

I'm not criticizing anyone for not owning every single thing they watch or listen to. I'm saying that in the US, anime is cheaper and more available, anime fans in the US for some reason or another refuse to buy anime no matter how much cheaper it gets. Even when companies cater directly to them by releasing sub only titles for a lower price or by doing what they've asked by making anime free and getting it out faster for them through simulcasting. There's always something to complain about.

Well, that's great if you want to legally own stuff, however as you probably know we live in an era where any movie, show, game, book, and song can be downloaded for free.

For those of us who don't want to pay the ridiculous price of filling up our iPods, or anime DVDs, we'll continue to download illegaly.

I have no problems about it, and I also won't make stupid excuses such as "I deserve to get this for free".

If it's out there for free I'll take advantage of it.

NOW, back to the issue, I think you have misunderstood me, my main point was that the majority of the 2ch idiots were saying moronic comments targeted at us, they are the biggest hypocrites of them all since you have to remember that the way we get RAWS is through them, NOT US, same thing goes for most scanlations.

This is not a battle between U.S anime fans but against idiot Japanese OTAKU who honestly are very horrible, GOOD-FOR-NOTHING people who are loathed in Japan.

Here in America you can get away with saying you're an "otaku" in Japan YOU CAN'T: (The following links are from a NSFW site)

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/10/29/otaku-demand-right-to-wed-2d-characters/

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/10/16/top-10-ways-to-spot-an-otaku/

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/11/10/%E2%80%9Csecond-hand%E2%80%9D-nagi-provokes-otaku-storm/

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2008/09/03/otaku-terror-ranking/

TRUST ME, this isn't even the worst of these lowly creatures.
Jul 26, 2010 6:42 PM

Jul 2009
Please permit poor English.

Which treaty does your country conclude?
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf

To people living in the country concluding a treaty.
Are you aware that it is a crime?

(true intention)
If I am born other than a Japanese, I may download it illegally :Q
Jul 26, 2010 7:34 PM
Sep 2009
RIP.

:\
Jul 26, 2010 10:43 PM

Jan 2010
Oh.... my God.... Mangafox.. The big three (Mangatoshokan, Onemanga, Mangafox) have almost all fallen T.T
Jul 26, 2010 10:59 PM
Nov 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Onibokusu said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Onibokusu said:
Nebuchadnezzar said:
Lets find an equivalent site, aight?

Found one.

I love how you claim you are not trolling.

No, just not being a poor weaboo.

Nope. You were trolling. They said an equivalent site to Onemanga. Amazon is not equivalent to it.

You can read 3 page previews that are of a superior quality to scanalations.

Amazon seems pretty equivalent to me. Well, considering I have something called money.
Jul 26, 2010 11:24 PM

Aug 2007
Onibokusu said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Onibokusu said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Onibokusu said:
Nebuchadnezzar said:
Lets find an equivalent site, aight?

Found one.

I love how you claim you are not trolling.

No, just not being a poor weaboo.

Nope. You were trolling. They said an equivalent site to Onemanga. Amazon is not equivalent to it.

You can read 3 page previews that are of a superior quality to scanalations.

Amazon seems pretty equivalent to me. Well, considering I have something called money.

An equivalent to Onemanga would be another scanlation site. You mean shittier quality btw. But seriously shut the fuck up. You're nothing but a fucking official company troll.
Jul 27, 2010 4:13 AM
Jun 2010
so much anger and trolling. To me, om was a decent site because it was organize, and their resize isn't a huge issue for me, but I of course obviously read the titles from mf or mt instead if they both have the chapter out at the same time, elsewise I will read off of om.

My first experience with scanslation group and getting the materials off of irc since we didn't have site like om up at the time ^^; Nowadays, we have access to unlimited of resource online at convenience too.

Anyways, it's true the price of a single manga may seem like a little, but for us who do purchase manga will purchase more then one manga titles, it is alot. it's not uncommon to see us purchasing more than 4 titles at a time. Once a title is done, we often replace it with another title we always planned on purchasing.

It's the same with others, except others would purchase something else whether it be clothing, gambling, sports, cooking/eating, etc. Whenever I hold off manga, it is due to the fact that I have other things I need or want to purchase first, and resume purchasing manga afterward since I set a fix amount to spend on a duration period.

Is it so wrong that we want to make sure to have enough spending money to hang out and everything? To travel? To have a fair amount of left over money to put into our saving/checking accounts? There are other reasons, also concerning family members and such, but I rather not list it since I can already predicting the flame and trolling. I assume some of the readers know what I mean.

I don't mind using irc since I still use it for animes and chatting; I just have to reduce the amount of titles I will follow since it's less convenient to follow too many if you have to keep track of so many group.

The publisher can't get rid of all of the manga hosting sites and scanslation group, but they can try to minimize the amount existing nowadays. Although I'm against it when it comes to unlicensed manga, license manga is more of an grey issue for me. The only thing I can agree with the publisher is that nothing is truly for free.
Jul 27, 2010 12:22 PM

Mar 2010
Oh fuck .__. Franken Fran isn't even licensed! D:
Jul 28, 2010 8:02 AM

Jul 2010
they don't really sell a lot of manga in Hong Kong, that's why it's kinda sad that onemanga is shutting down. well thats for me, but i'd actually really love to buy manga instead.. but it sucks here ><"
Jul 29, 2010 3:57 AM

May 2010
madheart said:
they don't really sell a lot of manga in Hong Kong, that's why it's kinda sad that onemanga is shutting down. well thats for me, but i'd actually really love to buy manga instead.. but it sucks here ><"

look, there are other sites you can read manga on and you must have a lot mor stores in hong kong than in my whole country, becouse I haven`t seen real manga (in paper...) in my life and so you probably won`t see me to buy one in near future :\
Jul 29, 2010 7:30 PM

Jun 2010
it cant be help we will always miss onemanga
Jul 30, 2010 7:00 PM

Apr 2009
you know what's weird? i thought they killed off onemanga last week, but when i checked, it still on. unless there's a delay going on there.
Jul 30, 2010 7:06 PM

Aug 2009
RIP. I truly feel for you manga readers.
But as long as there are fans, there will be piracy.
Jul 30, 2010 7:39 PM

Jul 2008
sad that onemanga has to go..I read manga online to find series that I want to buy later. Yes..I actually do buy manga and I have a huge list of things I need to buy but it's the same that it is with movies..If I haven't seen it I won't buy it..Nothing angers me more than to pay for things I end up hating. Especially when you don't have that much money to spend in the first place..so I rather buy whats good.
If I can't read manga online in the future no longer I'm pretty sure I will end up bying less and less manga. Don't get me wrong I do love buying manga and I rather read it in a book form than on computer screen but I just can't buy something I don't know whether I'm gonna love it or not. And most of the series that I like aren't even licenced so that's another thing too.

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Jul 30, 2010 10:08 PM

Jan 2010
zharnotczar said:
Whatever happened to downloading?

If I had a job, I'd totally by manga. But I'm cashless, so downloading it is!

t-up for this XD
Jul 31, 2010 10:08 AM

Dec 2009
why dont they get rid of all the licensed manga and keep the un licensed ones? if not, we might never get a chance to read them in the future :(
Feed my Pets Plz? :3

Jul 31, 2010 10:11 AM
Oct 2008
KohakuSen said:
why dont they get rid of all the licensed manga and keep the un licensed ones? if not, we might never get a chance to read them in the future :(

This isn't just about licensed manga. The Japanese publishers want all of it removed.
Jul 31, 2010 10:14 AM

Apr 2010
This is only slightly on topic, but doesn't it suck when you read a manga online and want to actually buy it offline only to find out it hasn't been released in the US?
Jul 31, 2010 12:56 PM

Aug 2007
CapellaStar said:
KohakuSen said:

This isn't just about licensed manga. The Japanese publishers want all of it removed.

Which is stupid. Hardly anybody not from Asia buys the Tankoban.
Jul 31, 2010 1:20 PM

Jul 2010
D:
Jul 31, 2010 1:47 PM

Nov 2009
d4n13lr0x said:
Oh.... my God.... Mangafox.. The big three (Mangatoshokan, Onemanga, Mangafox) have almost all fallen T.T
mangafox never ranked in the big three in my opinion. It never was an option for me...

Drunk_Samurai said:
CapellaStar said:
KohakuSen said:

I do. And other people on this thread do as well. And I have no income. It's purely off allowance. For all you people flashing stuff about buying manga, please remember that some people simply cannot afford it and aren't nearly as fortunate. I know for a fact that people who live in the the middle east can't readily access manga in any way legal at all. (If at all)
naiyinJul 31, 2010 1:55 PM

Jul 31, 2010 2:26 PM

Aug 2007
Mistyunion said:
d4n13lr0x said:
mangafox never ranked in the big three in my opinion. It never was an option for me...

Drunk_Samurai said:
CapellaStar said:
KohakuSen said:

I do. And other people on this thread do as well. And I have no income. It's purely off allowance. For all you people flashing stuff about buying manga, please remember that some people simply cannot afford it and aren't nearly as fortunate. I know for a fact that people who live in the the middle east can't readily access manga in any way legal at all. (If at all)

Will you people learn to read? I said "hardly anybody" not NOBODY.

Oops. Didn't catch that one earlier.
Drunk_SamuraiJul 31, 2010 6:28 PM
Jul 31, 2010 5:48 PM

May 2010
RIP OneManga
Jul 31, 2010 7:18 PM

Jan 2010
Time of Death in 4 hours 43 minutes. PST
Jul 31, 2010 10:24 PM

Jul 2010
d4n13lr0x said:

Yeah. u_u
All 3..which means I gotta spend my money on expensive manga.. DX
Jul 31, 2010 10:24 PM

Jul 2010
d4n13lr0x said:
Time of Death in 4 hours 43 minutes. PST

Seriously?? o.O
Jul 31, 2010 10:32 PM

Aug 2007
LazyNinjaUebo said:
d4n13lr0x said:

Yeah. u_u

Nah. I'll help you with that.
Jul 31, 2010 10:49 PM

Apr 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
LazyNinjaUebo said:
d4n13lr0x said:

Yeah. u_u

damn! i hate the US industry! they think they own everything that's originally made in japan and stuff, so they have to bitch off of something that's very good to us. It's all over now, game over, dood. game over. there's no getting them back now, and its all because of them. onemanga and the other sites will be avenged big time, dammit!
starwarriorrobbyJul 31, 2010 10:53 PM
Jul 31, 2010 10:54 PM
Oct 2008
OverlordRobby said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
LazyNinjaUebo said:
d4n13lr0x said:

Yeah. u_u

damn! i hate the US industry! they think they own everything that's originally made in japan and stuff, so they have to bitch off of something that's very good to us. It's all over now, game over, dood. game over.

Again, not only the US industry. This is a coalition of the US AND Japanese industry, so they kind of have a right to think they own everything....since they do own everything. Plus a lot of times it's the Japanese industry asking the US industry on their behalf to have this stuff removed :/
Aug 1, 2010 12:05 AM

Apr 2008
I really hate this turn these people have turned to. I am dreading the future on all these sites. It seems very soon I am going to have to learn japanese and move to japan and soil the grounds with my presence. They just dont know what they are doing do they? Yeah, its a money issue. But most everything they take down hasnt been brought over to other countries in the first place and most likely never will be. What money are they losing exactly? Ive read that a lot of the people on here think its a good start and the first thing I was thinking was, how deep are they in the scene though? I go look, and their list is filled with manga that would never be translated and up for grabs for a couple of bucks any time soon. The funny thing is that I think we might be more obsessed and loving the scene than the people in Japan are (I might not really believe this because Japan created this crap maannnz so who knows how they think), I mean do they get instant access like we do and can read chapter by chapter, volume by volume in such great amount and a short period of time? Hmmmm, questions questions. *ponders* Anywho, this sucks big time. :[
<3
Aug 1, 2010 12:06 AM

Apr 2009
CapellaStar said:
OverlordRobby said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
LazyNinjaUebo said:
d4n13lr0x said:

Yeah. u_u

damn! i hate the US industry! they think they own everything that's originally made in japan and stuff, so they have to bitch off of something that's very good to us. It's all over now, game over, dood. game over.

Again, not only the US industry. This is a coalition of the US AND Japanese industry, so they kind of have a right to think they own everything....since they do own everything. Plus a lot of times it's the Japanese industry asking the US industry on their behalf to have this stuff removed :/

oh, i guess that make sense. so that means no one's to blame then, since its their stuff.
Aug 1, 2010 12:17 AM
Dec 2009
My opinion on the hole manner is that there will always be a way to get the manga you want without paying for it. I find that there may be a lot more scanners moving to direct download or to torrents to get the job done!
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Aug 1, 2010 11:21 AM

Apr 2009
master_chi said:
My opinion on the hole manner is that there will always be a way to get the manga you want without paying for it. I find that there may be a lot more scanners moving to direct download or to torrents to get the job done!

plus you can find those in libraries. you just have to help them get enough money to buy more volumes.
Aug 1, 2010 3:18 PM
May 2010
Onemanga closes today at 11:59:59 p.m.
truthfully, i'm gonna miss it alot. Onemanga was the first site i ever found, and read manga on. Mangafox licensed alot of Manga. Curse you licensors. You guys are too slow at updating manga -_-
Aug 1, 2010 3:55 PM
Sep 2009
I was actually planning to start reading a lot more manga after summer school too...

RIP.
Aug 1, 2010 4:51 PM
Oct 2008
momo_chan said:
truthfully, i'm gonna miss it alot. Onemanga was the first site i ever found, and read manga on. Mangafox licensed alot of Manga. Curse you licensors. You guys are too slow at updating manga -_-

Mangafox hasn't licensed any manga.....
Aug 1, 2010 5:11 PM

Sep 2009
Onibokusu said:
Oh poor you.

You know, they invented this neat thing called "money" a fair while ago. It's pretty innovative: You trade it for services and goods, and recieve it for performing your own services or creating your own goods.

You should get some sometime.

They don't sell manga anywhere around here so I couldn't buy it even if I had the money to. Reading it online was the only way for me to read it at all >_>
Aug 2, 2010 12:44 AM

Aug 2007
CapellaStar said:
momo_chan said:

I loled at them anyway. There was some one shot removed because they said it might be inappropriate for minors.
Aug 2, 2010 12:48 AM

Feb 2007
momo_chan said:

ahhahahahahaahhahahahahah you don't understand anything.
Aug 11, 2010 5:24 PM

Dec 2009
>I know for a fact that people who live in the the middle east can't readily access manga in any way legal at all.

Build the site in middle east then, not in the US

Make it underground and not easily searchable. Accept members only by invitation, donors & scanners preferred etc. Positions like image co-processors may be needed but usually the scanners will do it themselves.

That's how to run a manga site with lots of privately owned quality scans.
It's difficult but safer, reduce the site load & cut the number of unwanted members.

With less than 1000 members, you can have 50-500 volumes per month, including rare ones & unlicensed, depending on the mood of scanners and workers. It surely saves lots of money over all, but not 100% free.
bottleAug 11, 2010 5:37 PM
Aug 11, 2010 5:26 PM

Jun 2008
Somebody close this thread for the same old points being repeated over and over again. And in case anyone's wondering what:

1. There will always be more sites.
2. It's stupid to shut down unlicensed manga that haven't been officially translated by a company.
3. I'm sad they're closing down Onemanga.

:[
Aug 11, 2010 5:33 PM

Mar 2010
this is unfortunate, although i usually buy my manga or read it at barns and noble, but im sure yall realize that the folks at onemanga saw this comming and have made a new site 1000manga right?

atleast i hear its the same ppl, i could be wrong

Click My sig
Aug 11, 2010 5:54 PM

Apr 2009
Tatsujin79 said:
this is unfortunate, although i usually buy my manga or read it at barns and noble, but im sure yall realize that the folks at onemanga saw this comming and have made a new site 1000manga right?

atleast i hear its the same ppl, i could be wrong

they killed that off too. believe me, i checked last night. all the manga in 1000manga.com is gone.
Aug 11, 2010 6:01 PM

Aug 2010
CapellaStar said:
momo_chan said:

yea onemanga was my first T.T
R.I.P :"(

it did like vampire knight isn't there anymore :"(
Aug 11, 2010 6:08 PM

May 2010
Rest In Piece, there's still mangareader
Aug 11, 2010 11:52 PM

Jun 2009
boo hoo....now onto the million other sources from where i can get manga in about 1 minute
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.