Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 18, 2010 3:27 AM

Sep 2007
Sorry if these sounds like noobish questions but I'm a bit of a technophobe so I figured I might as well ask.

Basically, I'm thinking of converting and getting myself a MacBook Pro when I go to uni after spending all my life with PCs.

My question is will I continue to be able to use all the programs I currently use to watch anime on my PC on a Mac? Will programs like Media Player Classic, Vuze, CCCP, MP3/4 still work on there?

Once again, sorry for the noobish nature of this question. Take pity on a lesser mind of the interwebz.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 18, 2010 3:48 AM

May 2010
It's not the best player, but you can get VLC for Mac. It's similar to MPC, but more versatile. I'm not sure how their codec system works or if they even have codecs, so I don't know about CCCP. Mp3/4 will still be fine.

If you're worried about making the transition, you can get Parallels for Mac. Basically, you're able to run windows through Mac. You could also find someone around you who is skilled with computers and have them partition your hard drive and install windows on half and keep OSX on the other half. Just a couple suggestions.
Jul 18, 2010 4:25 AM

Jan 2010
I use a mac, if not only because macs are all I've ever had access to in my family (Yeah, my father has pretty strong anti-pc views, he doesn't understand why PC's appeal to so many but we'll leave it at that >.>) to tell you the truth, on the computer I've only ever watched anime online and haven't downloaded / stored any in the past. But, I had to give back the pro iMac I was borrowing off my brother to watch anime the whole time, and right now I'm stuck without a very lacking old G4 powerbook. Lame.

In terms of players though, VLC works well for the most part as jesse_activist said, otherwise I just use quicktime for viewing videos and whatnot, but I'm clearly I'm not the best person to ask :L
I think from now on though I'm going to have to be watching anime through VLC or such because I expect trying to watch it online on this laptop won't work all too well.
Jul 18, 2010 6:22 AM

Jun 2007
Get a projector then project it onto the mac, but personally I dont know why you have to be different and not use a screen
[url=TNOG.ORG]Im a bloke that runs games nights, in a pub[/url]
Jul 18, 2010 6:58 AM

Jul 2009
I use a mac and have for years and watch my anime on it.

btw VLC recently did some kind of major update and it fixes some thing (for people who will say VLC sucks, it has been getting better and better over the years). You don't need to download anything but VLC to view anime. You should generally be fine to watch anime on a mac.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Jul 18, 2010 7:03 AM

Sep 2009
Media Player Classic, Vuze, CCCP, MP3/4

None of these will work on a mac is the answer to you question.

If you have a PC or a laptop then just continue to watch it on that. Like people said in this thread there are ways of getting around the problem, there is a mac copy for VLC but it's not great, it will do the trick though for most types of media, but at the list you gave I am betting you had problems like a lot of us using VLC which is why you are using the list you gave.

Macs are easy to use, simple and clean. They very rarely go wrong and so its great for just cutting through the endless shit a PC throws at you for updates and MALware threats and all the other shit. Since you are not a techie the only difference you will find will be the OS layout which is like all things something you have to learn over time.

The great PC vs MAC debate basically boiled down to preference and that's it. Technology wise MAC lost the war a long time ago and now uses PC standard parts from Intel and IBM so what you are paying for is the OS and the design of the computer. It's much like alien ware or any other computer designer casings.

You're not going to have to worry about installing anything it's more like a console form of a computer its eay to use and navigation is quite simple.

But back up you stuff a lot if it crashes and it will the data is lost and unlike PC's unrecoverable, I know a few people who had been working on their dissertation and the mac crashed died and a 5000 word half proofed version of their degree went down the pooper and if nothing else it makes a great story to bustle around university and talk to lectures in a serious tone about needing extensions and being ''far to busy to talk i have important work to do don't you know'' kind of life style.

Not exactly sure why you need a MAC (and if you say graphic design I will kill you somehow and make it ironic by doing it with a mac or a PC depending on what's easier to use and close at hand).

ESSWHY said:
I use a mac and have for years and watch my anime on it.

btw VLC recently did some kind of major update and it fixes some thing (for people who will say VLC sucks, it has been getting better and better over the years). You don't need to download anything but VLC to view anime. You should generally be fine to watch anime on a mac.

I really hope the new update has improved it, the last update played some files that played perfectly before broken, not exactly an improvement. Which is why I switched to Media played classic.
Disposable-AngelJul 18, 2010 7:08 AM
Jul 18, 2010 7:31 AM

Nov 2008
If you don't want to use VLC, there is also MPlayer, which is my standard anime media player (I am a Linux user, by the way), which has an OSX version.

I don't know about the OSX version, but the Linux version of VLC doesn't seem to support styled softsubs, so I use MPlayer for anime, as I prefer to get mkv/softsubbed versions whenever possible.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jul 18, 2010 7:52 AM

Apr 2007
As stated above, almost none of your current programs will work on OSX, but that's not really a problem since there are at least a couple of good player options. VLC has been mentioned and is really better than it was about a year ago and very usable. However, I tend to find myself using MPlayer OSX Extended (linked in post above) whenever I decide to use the Mac. Another option is Quicktime Player with the Perian add-in, but in the past it has had problems with particular files. It might be better now, however. When you get your machine, it might be worth installing all three to see which you prefer.

The good thing is that the files themselves are completely standardized now, including .mkvs and the varieties of their internal subtitles, which OSX players had many problems with early on. You won't really notice any difference in the actual experience unless you go looking for it (for example, OSX's Quartz rendering subsystem, in my experience, tends to make things like animated videos appear very slightly softer and more saturated than VMR9, EVR, or Haali's.)
Jul 18, 2010 2:23 PM

Jul 2009
Yeah, I agree with Iri, you should try out VLC and Mplayer (and quicktime + perian.. though I don't really think this is the best choice you have).

I just don't like mplayer, no real reason other than preference. With this new VLC update (the update thing itself listed what was fixed, and it was a long list) things should be working well. I've only used it for 1080p blu-ray Zeta Gundam, and the only thing bad I've noticed is when I change from no subs-->ass the video/audio stops for like 5 seconds, then plays. That wasn't happening at first (before the update) so idk. Otherwise I'd need to test it more to :really: say how much better it is.

Jul 18, 2010 3:17 PM

Nov 2006
i was about to recommend command-line mplayer, but then i remembered it crashes after every video when my computer is hooked up to the tv. if it's not, it only crashes from time to time. i haven't used vlc since that shit gg pulled with their geass subs way back when, so i can't comment on it. but i'm also a vlc hater, so i wouldn't recommend it. quacktime sucks worse btw.

anyway, there's nothing really great, but you get used to it.
Jul 18, 2010 3:22 PM

Apr 2010
I've watched most of my anime on VLC for mac without many problems. Sometimes subtitles force it to shut down, and when I find that happening, I use the application Movist.
Jul 18, 2010 4:37 PM

Jul 2009
windy said:
i haven't used vlc since that shit gg pulled with their geass subs way back when

What did they do? I don't remember.

Jul 18, 2010 4:42 PM

Jun 2009
I run Linux and have no problems. VLC for watching, KTorrent for torrenting, Firefox for streaming, it all works. The only thing I use that isn't available on Mac is KTorrent, but you can get torrent clients for mac (Vuze I think has a version), or you can get WINE and run uTorrent.
Jul 18, 2010 4:43 PM

Jun 2010
Sorry, but for half of the price you could get a better pc and not have any of these troubles.
Jul 18, 2010 4:48 PM

May 2010
College is important, are you sure you will have the time to get used to using a Macbook? It is very costly and they have some very poor insurance. I know one guy who had pay like a fortune because he spilled his drink into the keyboard or something and Apple demanded a hefty sum that you really just want to purchase a new one instead of fixing it.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 18, 2010 4:51 PM

Jul 2008
most of the programs that are for PC don't have MAC versions but major ones like Microsoft Office,Photoshop and so on have...there is no need to use Media Player because you have Quick Time but I use VLC and MPlayer ... VLC shows a lot of glitches in the videos so I use MPlayer mostly.For torrent I use Transmission( the only thing that I don't like about it is the super-long time it takes to check my files) other than this...I'm using Safari as a web browser and ITunes for music...I think you should go for it -> there are many advantages + if you don't like OSX(though I don't see why) you can also install Windows on it :)
Jul 18, 2010 4:52 PM

Nov 2006
ESSWHY said:
windy said:
i haven't used vlc since that shit gg pulled with their geass subs way back when

they made it so their subs wouldn't work with vlc.

Confucius said:
College is important, are you sure you will have the time to get used to using a Macbook?
hahahahaha
Jul 18, 2010 4:59 PM

Oct 2009
jesse_activist said:
It's not the best player, but you can get VLC for Mac. It's similar to MPC, but more versatile. I'm not sure how their codec system works or if they even have codecs, so I don't know about CCCP. Mp3/4 will still be fine.

If you're worried about making the transition, you can get Parallels for Mac. Basically, you're able to run windows through Mac. You could also find someone around you who is skilled with computers and have them partition your hard drive and install windows on half and keep OSX on the other half. Just a couple suggestions.

VLC has like a pre-configured codecs; in that sense it's no different to CCCP just that they have different codecs. Anybody who is the smart enough of wanting the best quality with the best performance would configure their codecs themselves and the player shouldn't matter much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2010 5:37 PM

Jul 2009
windy said:
ESSWHY said:
windy said:

they made it so their subs wouldn't work with vlc.

I know gg hates VLC but I guess they stopped making it not work with VLC/VLC updated and made whatever they were doing fail.

HRisa said:
+ if you don't like OSX(though I don't see why) you can also install Windows on it :)

If you don't like OSX don't buy a mac. I own a mac because I strongly prefer OSX. But I have a small netbook PC because it's a lot cheaper and works alright. It'd be a waste to buy a mac and then not use OSX (primarily). Using a mac does not take a long time to get used to. I have a 3 button mouse that is cheap and I bought not from apple.

@keyboard costs a fortune dude: wut? I have many mac keyboards laying around, plus you can find other keyboard brands (note: this is on a desktop).

Also, my old mac had a well known problem but was years passed the warranty. The mac people replaced it for me (for free) anyways (unofficially I guess) because it was Apple's fault.

Anyways, VLC is fine, and Mplayer is too.