Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2010 8:55 PM

Jan 2010
i see
and whats with my messages? 213 messages??
Jul 14, 2010 10:04 PM
Jun 2008
I thought I am the only one with these problem ^^
Jul 14, 2010 11:21 PM

Apr 2008
Down for hours and the messages are still broken.
Jul 14, 2010 11:32 PM

Sep 2009
hope it gets fixed soon :)

Jul 14, 2010 11:37 PM

Apr 2010
rustedheart said:
Thanks for the announcement.
At least we aren't waiting for nothing now :)
Jul 14, 2010 11:55 PM
Nov 2008
Aw, but it was so much fun going back 2 days in time every refresh, and then being greeted by a MySQL error on a page in the present time.
Jul 15, 2010 12:03 AM

Jun 2007
Thanks for the info~ I hope the issues with editing history will be fixed as well, though I don't really mind now XD I just have to be extra careful :|
^_^
Jul 15, 2010 1:14 AM
Jun 2009
Thanks for your hard work :O!
Jul 15, 2010 2:21 AM

May 2008
I'm glad to hear this~ I hope you can find a solution, good luck for that~ :DD
Jul 15, 2010 3:42 AM

Oct 2009
Yeah,I haven't been able to check my messages-it just keeps saying it's been disabled for the time being~ D:
Jul 15, 2010 5:47 AM

Jun 2008
Where are the episodes number stats? D: They always were under anime list... ;w;

elwood.blox.pl
Jul 15, 2010 5:48 AM

Jun 2008
Where are the episodes number stats? D: They always were under the anime list... ;w;

elwood.blox.pl
Jul 15, 2010 6:26 AM

Mar 2010
There is still a huge data persistence problem :/

Jul 15, 2010 7:38 AM
Dec 2008
I agree. Take it down and fix it correctly. I'd love to see what my 27 messages are, so please go ahead and do what you must.
I put up with 20 years in the Air Force I can be patient for a few days.
Jul 15, 2010 8:08 AM

Jul 2009
I'm also of the mindset that taking the server down for a few days to fix it will be better. Thanks for the update, too.
Jul 15, 2010 9:29 AM

Sep 2009
thanx for telling and good luck! >w<
hope it's fixed soon!
thankyou!

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Jul 15, 2010 10:37 AM

Dec 2008
Yeah, good. But don't forget that I have another Broken thread in my browser - I c'ant get in from Firefox (Currently I'm using Explorer. Yuck)

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
Jul 15, 2010 2:00 PM

Jan 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
MidnightSky said:
SnG said:
o: Finally a response.

Take it down if you want. We'll behave as long as it is working when it's back up. :3

Agreed. Always better than nothing now.

Third'd.

ShadowChao said:
AO968 said:
Yoshiage said:
teanut said:
This really has to stop you know.

Oh noes your free service has some hiccups THIS IS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE

It being a free service does not mean we should accept major site failure.

It also does not mean we should be an asshole about it.

Someone needs to be. Just because it's free doesn't mean it can be tossed aside, especially with how many people use this site. I don't know what Xinil does in his daily life, but keeping this site working well ought to be a priority. Not his top priority, of course, but a priority nonetheless. And with how long these problems have lasted without any word until now I worry about these things.

Remember, the success of a site depends on its users, the people who visit it. It's simple customer competition, just like in the real world.

You obviously have never worked in the web industry before. Sometimes, shit (like errors in your databases) do happen. Sometimes, changing one little thing on the website can cause something completely unrelated to just suddenly break. Sometimes, these things take time to find and fix. Especially with a database the size of MAL's. It's not like the site was down for a week and no one made any effort to fix it, it was a few hours. Practically every site will occasionally have issues and need to go down or limit access for a period of time. That's a fact of life that anyone in this industry will tell you. Yesterday was the first time since I've joined this site that I've noticed it having any significant issues, so I would say that the admins do a good job of keeping this site up and running.
Jul 15, 2010 2:06 PM

Jun 2008
Celenas said:
You obviously have never worked in the web industry before. Sometimes, shit (like errors in your databases) do happen. Sometimes, changing one little thing on the website can cause something completely unrelated to just suddenly break. Sometimes, these things take time to find and fix. Especially with a database the size of MAL's. It's not like the site was down for a week and no one made any effort to fix it, it was a few hours. Practically every site will occasionally have issues and need to go down or limit access for a period of time. That's a fact of life that anyone in this industry will tell you. Yesterday was the first time since I've joined this site that I've noticed it having any significant issues, so I would say that the admins do a good job of keeping this site up and running.

Then apparently you haven't been using the site much recently. It hasn't been down, but there have constant issues over the past month or so, some of which still aren't fixed.
Jul 15, 2010 2:11 PM
Mar 2009
@Celenas, then you probably registered yesterday, regardless of what it writes next to your avatar. For someone who seems to make excessive abuse of the quote function, you have a too strongly well favoured opinion of this site's admins.

This site has a long history of being frickle and ridden with SQL errors. If "changing one little thing on the website" causes something completely unrelated to just suddenly break, the site is written amateurly.
pedosenseiJul 15, 2010 2:16 PM
Jul 15, 2010 3:25 PM

Oct 2008
Everyone complaining about the site should just be glad they have a site, and a free one at that. :/

And at least it's not completely down.

Jul 15, 2010 5:06 PM
Feb 2010
Celenas said:
Redfoxoffire said:
MidnightSky said:
SnG said:
o: Finally a response.

Take it down if you want. We'll behave as long as it is working when it's back up. :3

Agreed. Always better than nothing now.

Third'd.

Yep!
Jul 15, 2010 5:20 PM

May 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
Celenas said:

Then apparently you haven't been using the site much recently. It hasn't been down, but there have constant issues over the past month or so, some of which still aren't fixed.
Have to agree here that there has just been too much left to fester. As someone who actually has managed lots of web servers, I have to say that this is really not acceptable. If there's a nasty downtime from a hard drive failure or a dead fan every 6 months that's forgivable perhaps, but this is a planning failure and not a hardware one -- nor will it be solved just by throwing more hardware at the problem.

I know that multiserver database problems are complicated, but whichever consultant crave hired to help configure the database servers obviously did not do his job properly... complain and ask for advice, or at least get a discount on a follow-up to put these db issues to rest.

There also needs to be someone else to turn to than just Xinil as well... it's obvious that there is not enough budget/time going into bugfixes and improvements, and I'm not sure if that's because Xinil's time is limited with other jobs or Crave is just stingy with the pocket book.... but it's rather depressing and everyone who uses the site regularly knows there's lots of things that need fixing.

I am a banana.
Jul 15, 2010 5:36 PM
Nov 2008
saka said:
There also needs to be someone else to turn to than just Xinil as well... it's obvious that there is not enough budget/time going into bugfixes and improvements, and I'm not sure if that's because Xinil's time is limited with other jobs or Crave is just stingy with the pocket book.... but it's rather depressing and everyone who uses the site regularly knows there's lots of things that need fixing.

As far as I'm aware, I've never seen a CraveOnline representative on the site. Maybe I just haven't used the forums enough in the past, or have just not been paying attention, but I thought that Crave might have some kind of representative on MAL, or a direct way of contacting them rather than having to go to our good old friend Google.

So, yeah, maybe the community needs some way of "bitching to the mother of its adopted child."
Jul 15, 2010 6:58 PM

Mar 2009
Onibokusu said:
Aw, but it was so much fun going back 2 days in time every refresh, and then being greeted by a MySQL error on a page in the present time.

lol +1

Jul 15, 2010 8:36 PM

May 2008
Onibokusu said:
As far as I'm aware, I've never seen a CraveOnline representative on the site. Maybe I just haven't used the forums enough in the past, or have just not been paying attention, but I thought that Crave might have some kind of representative on MAL, or a direct way of contacting them rather than having to go to our good old friend Google.

So, yeah, maybe the community needs some way of "bitching to the mother of its adopted child."
Though Crave doesn't do anything active in the community itself (that I know of), they do a lot of stuff behind the scenes configuring and managing things. MAL's servers live in their data centers (or at least their rackspace at Net2EZ's data center), and I assume they've paid for the recent server addition and other hardware.

I am a banana.
Jul 15, 2010 8:37 PM

Jul 2009
Anyway, good thing you finally found the error.

I'm sorry, but if your website was properly programmed, there shouldn't be any errors in it, except some major security failure, things except performance issue shouldn't happen in any case.

But I wonder, are you alone about this website ? Maybe you could have some guys over here like me that could lend a hand :) (Even if honestly, I don't think that CraveOnline would let any stranger have access to the website's source and such)
OtaK_Jul 15, 2010 8:58 PM
Jul 15, 2010 9:51 PM

Jan 2009
pedosensei said:
@Celenas, then you probably registered yesterday, regardless of what it writes next to your avatar. For someone who seems to make excessive abuse of the quote function, you have a too strongly well favoured opinion of this site's admins.

This site has a long history of being frickle and ridden with SQL errors. If "changing one little thing on the website" causes something completely unrelated to just suddenly break, the site is written amateurly.

Or perhaps I realize that they're human too and am a bit more forgiving when it comes to giving the benefit of the doubt. Shit happens. Sometimes it's human error, sometimes it's not. As someone who's worked in this field, I'm a bit more sympathetic towards people who run websites of this magnitude and all the crap they have to put up with, especially when it's a free service (regardless as to whether they actually make money from it or not). I use the site almost everyday, and while there are occasional errors, there's hasn't really been much of anything significant enough for me to even bother making note of. Sorry if my difference of opinion offends you so much.
Jul 15, 2010 11:32 PM
Nov 2007
Best of luck getting it resolved. I know databases can be a pain...trust me lol.
Jul 16, 2010 12:37 AM

May 2010
thx for the info sir...

~Nyaaa~

Jul 16, 2010 3:08 AM
Sep 2008
pedosensei said:

Make a website, accidentally forget a simple line of code or forget to close a tag, and come back here and tell us the end result. Odds are you'll be saying "I don't know why anything is working!" and looking like an idiot. One little line can make a huge difference when you're running a site.

That aside, I don't feel that mere coding is the issue here. Feels like it's more than just bits of broken code here and there...
Jul 16, 2010 4:40 AM
Aug 2007
Chibi_Hige said:
I'm patient

WELL, I'M NOT.
Jul 16, 2010 5:42 AM

May 2008
Yes take it down if you have to, one day or 2 wont kill us you know =)
Jul 16, 2010 6:07 AM

Jan 2009
StellarCombo69 said:

Make a website, accidentally forget a simple line of code or forget to close a tag, and come back here and tell us the end result. Odds are you'll be saying "I don't know why anything is working!" and looking like an idiot. One little line can make a huge difference when you're running a site.

That aside, I don't feel that mere coding is the issue here. Feels like it's more than just bits of broken code here and there...

Sweetheart, I build websites for a living. And I'm a big enough person to admit that I'm human and have made stupid mistakes in the past. Guess what? I made the effort to fix them right away and made sure they never happened again instead of sitting them dumbly wondering why it isn't working.
Jul 16, 2010 6:47 AM
Mar 2009
Celenas, there's a huge difference between making mistakes and a flawed site design. If a site recurringly has database errors for a period of several months, I wouldn't attribute it to "making stupid mistakes", and neither should you if you really "work in the industry" like you care to mention every second sentence. If you do, then you have quite a naive view if at all of professionalism in this area.
Jul 16, 2010 7:55 AM
Aug 2009
Thanks for the update hope you can fix it soon.
Jul 16, 2010 11:26 AM

Jun 2008
Celenas said:
StellarCombo69 said:

Sweetheart, I build websites for a living. And I'm a big enough person to admit that I'm human and have made stupid mistakes in the past. Guess what? I made the effort to fix them right away and made sure they never happened again instead of sitting them dumbly wondering why it isn't working.

StellarCombo69 wasn't responding to you...I'm pretty sure she was actually supporting you.
Jul 16, 2010 11:53 AM

Feb 2008
Gotta say that I was able to see Clubs and Forums normally for past few days. Things are getting better.

And my List updates instantly. o:
Jul 16, 2010 12:54 PM

Mar 2007
AO968 said:
Yoshiage said:
teanut said:

Damn kids calm the fuck down its not the end of the world...

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jul 16, 2010 12:56 PM

Mar 2007
@celenas

Dude a website that manages 10 people compared to a website that manages over 1,000,000 people isnt the same thing. Chillax broski and have a Zima

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jul 16, 2010 12:58 PM

Feb 2008
Ranivus said:
AO968 said:
Yoshiage said:
teanut said:

YES.
2012 will come, just wait patiently.
Jul 16, 2010 4:57 PM
Sep 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
Celenas said:
StellarCombo69 said:

StellarCombo69 wasn't responding to you...I'm pretty sure she was actually supporting you.

I was supporting her to an extent. I know how it feels to sit there and code and code and code and wonder what went wrong, which it seems that pedosensei doesn't really understand. However, I do agree with the few who feel that it's more than just some goofed up code that's wrong with MAL atm (HUEG DATABASE ISSUES ARE HUEG. STUPID SQUIRRELS). However if she doesn't want to actually absorb what I was saying and act as if everyone is personally attacking her, as she is at the moment, she can feel free to do that.
Jul 16, 2010 5:40 PM
Jan 2008

Damn kids calm the fuck down its not the end of the world... Thank you my thoughts exactly. Thank you for the update Xinil. I don't mind being without MAL for a few days if it gets everything fixed. It's better than dealing with these bugs and such for weeks. I can manage just fine until then, some of us actually have a life outside of MAL.
Jul 16, 2010 8:38 PM

Apr 2009
SnG said:
Ranivus said:
AO968 said:
Yoshiage said:
teanut said:

YES.

you are so immature you know? how about you all stop complaining? When you own a site and it is as big as MAL is; then you can talk. but for now, how about shutting the fuck up and stop bitching about the problems. i think Xinil knows what is going on, he doesn't need you telling him the obvious. -o-

Jul 17, 2010 6:56 AM
Jun 2010
Gotta love the sense of entitlement people have these days. I don't see how they live so wound up all the time, must be stressful.
Jul 17, 2010 11:15 AM

Dec 2007
Ah, take your time fixing it. Let the unfriendly users complain all they want.
Jul 17, 2010 11:17 AM
Sep 2008
taylorrtantrum said:
SnG said:
Ranivus said:
AO968 said:
Yoshiage said:
teanut said:

YES.

you are so immature you know? how about you all stop complaining? When you own a site and it is as big as MAL is; then you can talk. but for now, how about shutting the fuck up and stop bitching about the problems. i think Xinil knows what is going on, he doesn't need you telling him the obvious. -o-

lol SNG's comment offended you?
Jul 17, 2010 11:26 AM

Sep 2007
Rule 14: Do not argue with trolls - it means that they win.

That being said... OMG I COULDN'T ACCESS MAL FOR A FEW HOURS AND THERE'S GLITCHES MY LIFE IS OVERRRRRRR!!!

People today are so whiny. >.>
Jul 17, 2010 1:00 PM

Feb 2008
StellarCombo69 said:
taylorrtantrum said:
SnG said:
Ranivus said:
AO968 said:
Yoshiage said:
teanut said:

YES.

Kufufufu.
Jul 17, 2010 2:52 PM

Apr 2009
SnG said:
StellarCombo69 said:
taylorrtantrum said:
SnG said:
Ranivus said:
AO968 said:
Yoshiage said:
teanut said:

YES.

Kufufufu.

no the comment didn't offend me. (:
the other rude people on this site where just irritating. they don't need to be dicks about the whole situation; i know i was being a bitch but i wasn't a bitch to Xinil; I was a bitch to people who deserve to be bitched at.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

232 by chichiriNoDa »»
7 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime đź—» ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.