Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

New
Pages (114) « First ... « 102 103 [104] 105 106 » ... Last »
Aug 23, 2018 6:08 AM

Aug 2012
Ever_Onward said:
Yarub said:

Sure, half truths, I can work with that (since I employed it, unlike you I'm consistent) but wouldn't that also make my previous point (about 0, 1 and .9) also valid?

usually, a human life time cannot incorporate anyone to realistically be 'always right' or even be 'almost always right' in everything. Einstein was a prodigy, yet he died wishing he knew more about mathematics. The fact that you think you've grown enough opinions and experiences to think (without anything to back it up) that most people around you are simply wrong, while you and your 'almost always right' goons circle jerk around each other is disgusting. I tried conversing mathematically, but I think it's too advanced for you now, so, I hope this clears it up.

*sips previous post*

Your rando math bullshit doesn't mean anything to me, sorry.

I'm not right because I have superior ability. I'm right because I care more about the truth. Most people don't care much about it. They want to flatter themselves. They want social status. They want comfort.

Lmao, calling basic knowledge in math, correlation and probability bullshit basically discredits every thing that you said, will say and whatever your puny brain would ever think of. Your attention span is that of a tortoise and you keep dancing around my points like a fucking imbecile and comment on whatever suits you whilst ignoring the rest.

I honestly can't argue with someone that doesn't even understand basic math and English. Have fun being inferior.
Aug 23, 2018 7:17 AM

May 2016
Yarub said:
Just because it's named The Lord of The Rings doesn't make it an excuse to make the books boring as fuck. Well, GOT does have boobs there, so I might consider that offer
It's not boring. You just don't seem to have a taste for high fantasy. That's not Tolkien's fault.

Yarub said:
And that is what made the movies infinitely better than the books. They did give justice to the battle scenes, they comprise a chunk of the movie and I'd wager more than half the budget.
You're placing unwarranted emphasis on "battle scenes" as if they're some kind of important element of fantasy. Giving justice to the battle scenes also implies that Tolkien was wrong for not placing an emphasis on it, which would be to miss almost the entirely the point of Lord of the Rings. This just seems like a classic example of misinterpretation and bad readership.

Yarub said:
I've read the books except The Return of The King, again with the comprehension statement. Who the fuck is Tom Bombadil? I can remember his name but I also remember his story was boring as fuck. Was he the guy that was with Gandalf in that birthday party? Again, rather unnecessary occurrences. I'll elaborate later in the post.
Okay, so you don't know Tom Bombadil. You do know that's literally the name of a chapter right?

There's literally no point to continue this discussion with you if this is the case because it's such a huge lapse of knowledge that it's essentially akin to having not read the books at all. He literally makes up an entire chapter in The Fellowship of the Ring and is one of the most commonly discussed characters that don't make it into the movies. I don't think he's particularly good, but if you don't remember Tom Bombadil that just means your understanding of LoTR is incredibly poor. Any knowledge of how well the books give "justice" to battles is incredibly dubious at this point and I almost don't feel like typing out the rest of my response.

Yarub said:
If the supposed 'fan' don't really care, then how do you want the movie industry to care to make movies for your fantasy books? I'm reading this as "I don't have anything to say so I'll just ignore the whole point and comment about how I don't really care, even though I did careand made of point out of it a post ago, oh and let use a word he's used just to make it seem provocative".
The movie industry is just interested in catering to people who want to see great action and cinematics. Fans of the books wanted to see their favorite battles come to life, and they got it. The point isn't that the movies are bad. Quite the contrary, the movies were extraordinary given what they turned out to be, but to conflate the movies being great and them being better than the books is just ridiculous. The books are still far more engaging as works of fantasy. Not only are the characters more meaningfully fleshed out, the world is done well, the battles are perfectly acceptable in their form, and the journey of the ring from the Shire to Mordor is exceptionally more fleshed out and "epic" in its embodiment of the conflict at large. There are so many places discussed in the books that just aren't present in the movie, characters and moments excised for the purposes of an epic cinematic experience. Which is fine. Again, this isn't a knock on the movies.

They just aren't as good as the books.

Yarub said:
Finally, you're just approaching this as what a 'fan' of the genre should be doing or appreciating. Trust me, not everybody who reads LOTR wants to invest time in it's lore, they just want the story. You don't buy a car to examine every inch of it and learn how it works, you just want to drive it. I'm not a fan so don't treat me like one.
Yea but it's clear that you aren't a good driver to begin with, so regardless of the analogy it just doesn't seem like you really gave LoTR the time of day. Again, the fact that you keep on harping on the importance of the battle scenes is just a sign you don't actually care about what's good fantasy or not. You just want to see something exciting.

Which is fine. Just know that you're approaching the books from a position of myopia. :P
YudinaAug 23, 2018 7:24 AM
Aug 23, 2018 7:19 AM

May 2016
Ever_Onward said:
Psyches said:

Why is that?

Also, you mean BS as in boring or as in something that is full of unnecessary stuff.

People pack pretty much everything with their agenda and I almost always disagree with their agenda.
This just sounds like you need to be better at looking for books.
Aug 23, 2018 7:26 AM

Aug 2012
@Yudina
Nope. It's actually the case where his head is so high up his ass, you can't really tell if it's his brain or his ass doing the talking. Maybe they're the samething. He should read fantasy, they barely incorporate much of the writer's agenda in direct ways.

Also, I've read your reply. Would reply tomorrow or something.
Aug 24, 2018 1:43 PM

Aug 2018
I have meself a book about vehicle maintenance and how all the tids and bits work in automobiles, not exactly fine literature but i'm still burnt out on that stuff so rip
B0i the edge is so thicc in this topic you can bite and chew that shit
@Ever_Onward @Yarub y'all dudes gotta watch a movie on rabbit or something you weebos xx
Aug 24, 2018 1:55 PM

Apr 2014
recently finished ''kill the next one'' by federico axat, i 100% recommend it its mindfucking and it rlly reminded me of perfect blue
Aug 24, 2018 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
I'm currently reading "The Winter of Our Discontent" and, so far it has been a very pleasant experience. I find its one of those books that can depict certain human traits as greed, shame, lack of morals and the struggle that is to stick to our values when everyone tells you to ignore them, in an exquisite way.
The way the author makes this critics is also extremely crafty yet, it isn't over tedious or complex.
All in all, it's a forever theme and I find it extremely relevant to our times.

So far, I highly recommend it if you're into social criticism and, getting a glimpse into the mental constructs people make up to forgive and convince themselves of acting in ways they once despised.
Dec 19, 2018 3:24 AM

Sep 2012
I finished Kizumonogatari. I liked it just as much as the movies, which is too say quite a bit! Araragi's internal dialogue was a lot of fun. I listened to the audiobook version which was surprisingly decent, I looked up to see if they were going to have any more audio versions and it looks like there doing NekoMono White, so I will prolly check that out when it comes around.
Dec 19, 2018 7:40 AM

Dec 2016
been rereading we need to talk about kevin - always a good read
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Dec 21, 2018 5:36 AM

Apr 2017
I started reading Overlord and I like it so far. It's well written, maybe because it's an official translation. It really changes from the last LN I've read.

buy mochi at the mochi store
and friends at the friend store

Dec 21, 2018 5:39 AM

Mar 2018
I'm reading HighSchool DxD, but i have to say that the first season adapted things up to volume 3 quite well.
Jan 5, 2019 11:30 PM

Jun 2016
I recently finished a book on Norse mythology and now I'm reading Eye of the World, the first book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
Jan 6, 2019 12:15 AM
Jul 2012
I've kept "At The Mountains of Madness" on hold for quite a while which I have no excuse for since it's so short and not a difficult read. It's just I've been lazy and too focused on other things. This is my first entry into Lovecraftian horror, and I find his version of horror (that being fear of the "unknown") to be interesting but not what I expected. Still I've found his descriptions of the setting and exposition to be well-written and very detailed. He also crafts a very creepy atmosphere which fits just right. I will finish it eventually; I promise.
Jan 14, 2019 9:57 PM

Sep 2011
Breezing through Skyward by Brandon Sanderson. If you're a Sanderson fan you'll like this book, no doubt.

Do audiobooks count? I'll go with yes

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh (audiobook). Jeremy Irons' narration is great. I'm having a slower go at this one. I usually listen to audio books while driving/cleaning/doing other things, but I think I may just have to sit and listen to this one. It requires a bit more focus to get everything.

Was looking at reading Consuelo by George Sand next, but not sure.

If anyone wants to throw out a recommendation I'll gladly take it.
Jan 24, 2019 3:26 AM

Dec 2012
I'm currently reading Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow. It's a thorough account (800+ pages) of George Washington's life that exhausts every facet of the man that he was. I've had it for over a year and I'm still only halfway through it. Very much worth the time I've invested as it brings to life perhaps the greatest American patriot there ever was.
Jan 24, 2019 4:28 AM

Jan 2019
Riddley Walker by Russel Hobart. A very good book, even though it's nigh-undecipherable at times because of the language it was written in: a highly degraded version of rural Kent dialect, spoken in-universe by the residents of post-nuclear England millennia after the apocalypse.
Feb 17, 2019 11:15 PM

Sep 2011
Just finished The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Perhaps bordering too near grim dark for my taste, the characters kept me on until the end. Say one thing for The First Law Trilogy, say that it's good. That being said, I don't think I'll continue reading the standalone novels.

I think I'm gonna pick up Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett next to start his Discworld series. That and maybe Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, or something else that catches my eye.
EeyoreFeb 18, 2019 3:25 AM
Mar 19, 2019 4:19 AM
Mar 2019
I want to be a writer, so I read different types of books. From science to fiction. It's difficult, but I try. For help I speaks with professional writers from https://writingpeak.co.uk/custom-essay-writing, who helps me with themes for essays.
Mar 19, 2019 4:55 AM

Jul 2015
am readings Elixir in Action 2nd Edition by Sasa Juric. is a technical book abot a programing language

is recenly caem out & honesly the best book i've read abot the topic. the books written by the languaeg's creator is more like a reference book. reading this one liek having a mentor sit down with you..
Mar 19, 2019 6:04 AM

Dec 2015
Gone by Michael Grant.
Mar 19, 2019 7:10 AM

Mar 2019
I'm reading the Summa Theologica but I often use it situationally when it comes to apologetics aswell as just general study.

I'm also reading a book on economics which outlines a corporatist society but it's kind of been on the back-burner
Mar 20, 2019 4:12 AM
Mar 2019
The Count of Monte Cristo. It's been on my shelf for a couple of years and I've finally committed to reading it. About a 1/3 of the way in and it's already a favourite, just fantastic.

Mar 21, 2019 9:40 PM
Jul 2018
I'm sitting at the airport and forgot the book I wanted to read at home, so I bought Looking For Alaska at the airport. I borrowed it from a friend a year ago and now I reread it.
Really like it.
I cried and loved at The Fault In Our Stars and this isn't as heartbreaking, but enough for 5.30 in the morning lol.
Great start for the Leipzig Book Fair. x3
And I'm a "I cried, so 8-10/10"-type of human being.
Apr 1, 2019 9:33 AM
Feb 2016
I re-read WWZ. Still holds up after a while.

Apr 4, 2019 10:25 PM

Sep 2011
Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer. Mostly enjoyable, pretty funny, and sometimes annoying. Overall a good light read, though it's the kind of book where the more you think about it the less it makes sense.

Up next I got two books. Collections of John Muir and Robert Frost.
Apr 5, 2019 5:16 AM
Mar 2019
Rainbow Six for about the 4th time. Love it.

Apr 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Dec 2013
I have a habit of reading a single book at the same time.

Currently reading They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Apr 15, 2019 7:13 AM

Dec 2016
recently reread no longer human - really enjoy dazai's writing style.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Apr 15, 2019 10:00 AM

Apr 2019
I'm reading a few books. I'm reading Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and terrible typhoid mary by Susan Campbell Bartoletti.
Apr 15, 2019 4:17 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished Holy Sister by Mark Lawrence. As the final book in the trilogy I expected a thicker book dammit! How cruel to make me wait a year for it and it be so thin, finished it less than a day and that was pacing myself! Was good, can't wait to read it again =D
May 8, 2019 9:39 AM

Aug 2012
Got started with The Greatest Show on Earth by Dick Dawkins. I wish to learn more about evolution as a concept. I also heard he provided very adequate levels of theist shaming. I'd love some of that.
May 8, 2019 10:53 AM

Jan 2017
I just started reading Supermarket by Bobby Hall aka Logic. I'm not too far along yet but the beginning grabs your attention, that's for sure. If it keeps up it'll end up being one of my favorites of the entire year!
May 8, 2019 12:14 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I'm currently reading "Days of Blood & Starlight", the second book from the series "Daughter of Smoke & Bone" by Laini Taylor. Lately I'm into YA works a lot, though the first book of this series was unnecessarily long. The 2nd book finally is right into the story and is way more interesting.
May 8, 2019 6:05 PM

Nov 2018
Right now I'm reading Paper Towns by John Green, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The latter I've been reading off and on for nearly a month now - it's so goddamn long, lol. It's my favorite of the series though, so I'm savoring it.
May 8, 2019 9:00 PM

Aug 2018
"An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" - Daniel V. Schroeder and Michael Peskin
"Functional Analysis, Sobolev Spaces and Partial Differential Equations" - Haïm Brezis

I'm fun at parties
May 9, 2019 2:15 AM

Sep 2013
A word of advice, unless you're planning to be an economic historian, don't read the original publications of past authors. They fucking suck at writing, make shit up and pass it as "SCIENCE", and tend to think they always have the biggest dick in the room.
May 9, 2019 11:56 AM
May 2019
right now I reading those articles https://artscolumbia.org/category/euthanasia-essays/
May 9, 2019 1:01 PM
Oct 2018
Been reading The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

I'm super super slow, though
--
May 9, 2019 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
I'm reading Native Son. It's decent. I don't really have much to say about it honestly. There's more to examine than Catcher in the Rye but it's still relatively barebones.

I just finished the second part where the authorities capture him.
May 9, 2019 1:25 PM

Aug 2012
Eclipticurse said:
"An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" - Daniel V. Schroeder and Michael Peskin

Hmm, I'm quite interested. Do I need to be a physics undergrad to understand any of the contents in this book?
May 9, 2019 3:25 PM

Jan 2017
I am reading the 9th Asterisk Wars Light Novel I really like this series.
May 9, 2019 8:56 PM

Aug 2018
Yarub said:
Eclipticurse said:

Hmm, I'm quite interested. Do I need to be a physics undergrad to understand any of the contents in this book?

You need mastery over everything taught in quantum mechanics in an undergraduate program in addition to a full year of graduate quantum mechanics. (It's an intro to quantum field theory, not quantum mechanics :P)

If you want to start at quantum ground 0, pick up Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics". It's a completely rigorous and self-contained book, and you should be more than ready to start Peskin afterward. (If you work consistently, it shouldn't take any longer than a couple of months.) Of course, this is assuming you have a perfect grasp of multivariable calculus and linear algebra.

(I'm actually of the [unpopular] opinion that all serious study of theoretical physics should be postponed until one has taken mathematical analysis at the undergraduate and graduate level [i.e. up to measure theory and functional analysis]. You'd be surprised at how many of these high level math concepts show up in physics but are swept under the rug because they demand technical treatment and most people in the class don't have the background to deal with them.)
May 13, 2019 11:28 AM

Sep 2011
Almost done with Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. I think it may be the best book I ever read.

Also started A Crown of Swords the 7th book in the WoT series. Always fun to read one of these books.
May 30, 2019 4:12 PM
a car

Jun 2017
Just started reading Full Metal Panic!, the OG light novel, earlier today. I never saw the anime so it's a completely blind experience!
May 30, 2019 4:29 PM

Feb 2016
Currently reading Freud as Philosopher by Richard Boothby.

Really nice and accessible look at psychoanalysis from a Lacanian standpoint. It relates all that to philosophy, at the title implies.

Also reading the Neuromancer series by William Gibson.

I don't read much fiction but these are great cyberpunk classics.
Jun 8, 2019 1:21 PM
May 2019
I’m reading my sister lives on the mantelpiece and shadow hunters.
I plan to read the second book in the hobbit series
Jun 8, 2019 1:57 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I just started Red Queen. Seems kind of silly, but it's popular and wanted to get into it :3
Jun 8, 2019 3:01 PM
a car

Jun 2017
Just started catching up with DanMachi... from the very beginning. I'm gonna see how far I can get by season 2's launch!

I also have Aru Shah and the End of Time on deck. Gonna have big expectations going into that one.
Jun 8, 2019 6:00 PM

Nov 2009
Reading A History of Japan: From Stone Age to Superpower by Kenneth Henshall. Completely changed my previous understanding of the samurai as loyal and exuding masculinity - many of them preferred homosexual relationships because women were thought to weaken the resolve of men. I can't think of any anime with a samurai in a gay relationship. I'd be interested in finding one.

The ban on the samurai of the 19th century helps me to appreciate Gintama a bit more. Gintoki goes from being a famous warrior to a freelancer living in poverty who can barely afford to feed himself. It's played for laughs but does reflect a sad reality of the samurai who were forced to give up the one thing they prided themselves on being skilled at and left to fend for themselves in a world that doesn't value them anymore.

Reading this makes me want to watch most anime with depictions of samurai more closely than I have in the past. Definitely need to give Gintama a dedicated re-watch.
Jun 23, 2019 3:29 AM

Dec 2018
started reading The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevskij just yesterday. he will never be disappointing nor boring. he captures my attention by simply two connected words.
Pages (114) « First ... « 102 103 [104] 105 106 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7622 by BookBirdie »»
1 hour ago

» Post your current main audio set up

tsukareru - Dec 20, 2023

6 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

33 by Cammell »»
3 hours ago

» Best Disney dad?

literally_boba - Apr 1, 2022

12 by Spunkert »»
3 hours ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

16 by Eleben »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.