Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 15, 2010 3:52 PM

May 2009
wtf did they do....
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Jun 17, 2010 9:37 PM

Jan 2010
Nono... the first Kure-nai had shit character designs. Read the manga.
Jun 26, 2010 9:48 PM

Jul 2009
I didn't like the first designs but they grew on me. I trust these will too.
Jul 6, 2010 4:28 AM

Apr 2009
One of the charms of the TV series is because of its rather unconventional character designs, the change in art style kind of made the OVA loose it's uniqueness and more towards the typical school life series. The fanservice isn't helping.
Jul 6, 2010 4:44 AM

Jun 2009
Murasaki was really cute in first season, but look what they did.
she look like crap :(
Jul 6, 2010 4:49 AM

May 2009
d4n13lr0x said:

Who give a shit about the manga? Kurenai is based on light novels, not the manga. I prefer the character designs of the series too.
Jul 6, 2010 5:15 PM

Feb 2008
I have no issue with the new style.
Jul 6, 2010 7:32 PM

Sep 2008
viral_hun said:
d4n13lr0x said:

Who give a shit about the manga? Kurenai is based on light novels, not the manga. I prefer the character designs of the series too.

The illustrator from the light novels draws the Manga, so you could say these are the correct character designs. Personally, I don't care either way.

Jul 7, 2010 4:47 AM

May 2010
Desigh in the OVA is shitty shitty shitty shit.
Jul 7, 2010 8:31 AM

Jun 2008
I thought STORY that matters more..

and why do you guys treat it as it's the MOST ugliest thing that you ever did see, even though there are more obviously uglier things

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jul 7, 2010 8:46 AM
Jun 2008
TV series had gorgeous character designs with lots of focus on DAT HAIR. Also, it seemed less like "anime".

OAV's new designs plus Kure-nai atmosphere and soundtrack don't match at all now.
Jul 7, 2010 8:57 AM
Feb 2009
regardless of all the criticism, the OVA is based on manga chapters which in turn are closer to the original novels. I'm all for accuracy.

I can see why people are complaining, but so far it's better to treat the tv anime and the other materials as separate things. (and personally, I like the manga/OVA/novels design much better)
ttt
Jul 7, 2010 9:07 AM

Nov 2009
IZUMI64 said:
Omg, *dies laughing*
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Jul 7, 2010 8:43 PM

May 2008
kaimax said:
I thought STORY that matters more..

and why do you guys treat it as it's the MOST ugliest thing that you ever did see, even though there are more obviously uglier things

This. I like well drawn characters, but if they are not its not going to turn me off the show.

I thought the series had weird character designs, but it eventually grew on me too.
Jul 8, 2010 7:44 AM

Oct 2008
I agree. The art style of the prequel what made it special in the first place. The character design was far more superior and more modern than the one used in the manga. Now it's back to your average yujimbo to protect hime-sama anime with more scenes of Yuuno san's breasts for fan-service. I've noticed a drop in quality too. And bring back Yaoyi! :(
Jul 8, 2010 11:44 PM

Jun 2007
wtf did they do?! This different art makes it feel like a completely different show :(.
Jul 9, 2010 2:56 AM

May 2008
I personally like this art better for the comedy aspect.
Livestream: twitch.tv/imoogle
Jul 9, 2010 11:49 AM

Apr 2010
Maybe it's because I've already been through the manga and light novels, but I like this style much better. Murasaki is also much cuter this way.
Jul 9, 2010 7:50 PM

Feb 2009
I hated the style in the OVA. Not only the character designs were ugly but also the animation and movement seemed to be suffering from a low budget production. If it was only about the design I might have been able to bare with it but the crappy animation and uninteresting plot (seemed like a pointless addition half way through the episode) just forced me to stop the player after 10 minutes or so.

Jul 9, 2010 8:41 PM

Apr 2009
Contrary to the Topic's title, I don't think that it's ugly. I simply found the TV's much better and more appropriate.
Jul 15, 2010 2:22 AM
May 2009
Same, Though its nice to see it back again, I did like the characters in that show,.
Jul 18, 2010 1:43 AM

Sep 2008
It may be more accurate to the Manga but I don't like the change. Preferred the old designs.
Jul 21, 2010 11:09 PM

Aug 2008
Personally, I read the manga first so I thought the TV version was fugly until I got used to it, so I understand you haters' reactions to the producers changing the art style. All I can say is get used to it or don't watch it because bitching about it isn't going to change it back.
Jul 31, 2010 7:41 PM

May 2009
I do think the previous character designs look better, but it's not like I have anything against the new ones.
Aug 1, 2010 6:13 AM

Aug 2009
The manga is 10000x more pretty and cute than the shitty anime!!!!

Why is it that every one thinks that the OVA characters are ugly?

In fact the manga and the OVA style are the real art style. The anime is just pure crap.

before you watch an anime read the magna first so you wont get shocked
RKCAug 1, 2010 6:17 AM

http://jedikieth.mybrute.com/ -Fight MyBrute! Be my Pupil!
Aug 3, 2010 3:12 PM

Nov 2007
RKC said:

The tv series had a great style that made it stand apart from the rest and it was fitting for the series. Seriously, if it looked like this, I wouldn't have given it a chance...and I would have missed out on a cute girl like Murasaki!

Honestly, cute does not equal better. This like every other series' art from the last couple of years. I'm not saying it's bad, but it IS rather dissapointing.
Aug 4, 2010 12:35 AM

Aug 2009
CookieBun said:
RKC said:

The tv series had a great style that made it stand apart from the rest and it was fitting for the series. Seriously, if it looked like this, I wouldn't have given it a chance...and I would have missed out on a cute girl like Murasaki!

Honestly, cute does not equal better. This like every other series' art from the last couple of years. I'm not saying it's bad, but it IS rather dissapointing.

The characters are so different from the manga

Lin is a psychopathic Bitch and not the loving person in the manga that also protects murasaki

Tamaki is not the ass kicking girl that everyone loves. ( Shes even better than Shinkurou)

Benika is weak and not the cool gunslinging woman that every body knows. (no one has yet beat her in the manga)

Yuuno is not the big boobed tsundere girl that we all know and love.

and the worst part is Kirihiko didn't appear in the anime.

One word "Fail"

and also Murasakis brother can fight!? In the manga he was so weak that he cant even fight and relied on his men to fight for him while he cowers behind a wall.

and also I finished that anime. I was greatly disappointed not as cool as the manga.
RKCAug 4, 2010 12:44 AM

Aug 4, 2010 1:29 PM

Nov 2007
Ahh well, I do understand your frustrations. Alternate interpretations can really irk anyone who's been a fan of the original, yup.

Unfortunately though, the manga didn't really appeal to me when I read it long ago...sorry.

Well, at least you got a OVA based on the manga/novels so hope you're happy. :)
Aug 8, 2010 5:43 AM

Aug 2009
The fact that really ticked me off is the thread tittle. Why call it ugly hmmmm....

Aug 27, 2010 8:00 PM
Apr 2009
I suppose I prefer the TV series designs a bit, although this could be explained by the fact that I've gotten used to them. Don't find these particularly "ugly" per se, just different. In conclusion, whatever.
Sep 19, 2010 11:11 PM
Dec 2008
d4n13lr0x said:

This. If you want the old character designs, hope for a second season

:3
Oct 4, 2010 10:42 PM
Mar 2010
I really enjoyed the anime character designs better...
Oct 16, 2010 6:20 PM

Aug 2009
Glad they change it to better mimic the original design, part of the reason why I don't like the first series was because of the design change, it feels like watching an entirely different series.

That and Kure-nai pansy voice.. really really irk me.
Oct 17, 2010 3:19 PM

Sep 2008
ange10 said:
wtf did they do....

+1. =_=
Nov 27, 2010 2:08 AM

May 2009
anime and manga doesn't have to be the same and anime doesn't even have to follow a manga to the dot.

what works in manga may not work in anime.

plus i think that the animation for anime was a improvement from the mangas perpective as the art style was very modern and had a more mature approach to it.

the fact that they created the anime in that form then completely changed it, is like the transitition from manga to anime and back again.

they just pissing alot of people off.

Plus I doubt that i would have been intreasted in kurenai if it had the animation from the manga cause it just doesnt stand out and i would have missed out on a great anime.

but now its like 2 different animes.

doesn't matter to me much but its disappointing they went back a step. cause now its like some shonen anime for little kids.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Nov 29, 2010 11:27 AM

Mar 2009
^ Exactly... I don't see why manga's always perceived as the "better" of the two. I think Ouran, FMA (at the time of airing), and Kure-nai had excellent adaptations that overshadowed their manga counterparts. -_- I don't mind the art change all that much, but original does NOT always equate to better.
Nov 30, 2010 8:05 PM

Mar 2008
Hmmmmmmmm.

I thought (and still think) the new character designs in the OVA looked way better than the first ones.

And I don't think the manga or the anime overshadowed each other. I think they're both good in their own ways. Sometimes one might not appeal to a person like it does to another.

I love both.
Dec 5, 2010 11:48 PM

Jan 2010
Keilis said:
^ Exactly... I don't see why manga's always perceived as the "better" of the two. I think Ouran, FMA (at the time of airing), and Kure-nai had excellent adaptations that overshadowed their manga counterparts. -_- I don't mind the art change all that much, but original does NOT always equate to better.

Wait, WHAT? hang on lemme see if I read that right. Original does not always equate to better. What the fuck? I don't even.... REALLY? I think you're just biased into thinking that due to how you were introduced to them. Surely if you read Ouran or FMA before even touching the anime, you would realize how arrogant and ignorant of a statement that was. Now I'm not saying that idea is utterly retarded and stupid thinking, but all I'm saying is for the most part, the only things adaptations overshadow in is in budget.
Dec 22, 2010 6:19 PM

Jul 2010
this is the real design though! but yeah, the quality went down, IMO...
i only watched this show to hear yuuki aoi's voice! XD and sawashiro miyuki also!
Dec 23, 2010 3:18 PM

Oct 2009
Can't say I have any problem with this art, I steered clear of the original TV series because of how it looked.
Jan 2, 2011 4:13 AM

Oct 2008
IZUMI64 said:

*cracks up*

I loved Murasaki in the series. She was so adorable. I kept hearing about the OVA, that's why I watched the series. Then I see the art for the OVA and I'm like,

I think I'll pass on this OVA sequel. I'm glad I read most of the Forum before trying it out. -stops torrent download-

Jan 4, 2011 1:48 PM

Mar 2009
RKC said:
CookieBun said:
RKC said:

Actually I found the characters cuter in the TV series. I thought the art was odd at first but it was a nice change, rather like I found Beck.

The characters are so different from the manga

Lin is a psychopathic Bitch and not the loving person in the manga that also protects murasaki
Fair point is fair.

Tamaki is not the ass kicking girl that everyone loves. ( Shes even better than Shinkurou)
Yes she is. There was just no need to take it to the extreme when there are so many other characters who are the same.

Benika is weak and not the cool gunslinging woman that every body knows. (no one has yet beat her in the manga)
She isn't weak in the anime. She just doesn't always win easily.

Yuuno is not the big boobed tsundere girl that we all know and love.
A good thing. Gives someone more character than just being horribly generic. I hate tsundure characters.
Jul 26, 2011 10:24 AM

Feb 2011
Nilvius said:
One of the charms of the TV series is because of its rather unconventional character designs, the change in art style kind of made the OVA loose it's uniqueness and more towards the typical school life series. The fanservice isn't helping.

Yep, I don't follow the manga, so I don't really care it about the character design in it, I found the anime version prettier and more easy to watch. These ovas felt like a different kurenai.
Aug 12, 2011 4:53 PM

Mar 2009
d4n13lr0x said:
Keilis said:

Wait, WHAT? hang on lemme see if I read that right. Original does not always equate to better. What the fuck? I don't even.... REALLY? I think you're just biased into thinking that due to how you were introduced to them. Surely if you read Ouran or FMA before even touching the anime, you would realize how arrogant and ignorant of a statement that was. Now I'm not saying that idea is utterly retarded and stupid thinking, but all I'm saying is for the most part, the only things adaptations overshadow in is in budget.

K, so here's gonna be a long-ass and rude post that's eight months late because I forgot I ever posted here. Just wanted to get this out there in case other people have the same stupid chain of thinking as you.

First of all, how in the fuck did I come off as arrogant and ignorant? Because I actually read the manga? Or because I've seen the damn anime? Why the FUCK wouldn't adaptations exceed their manga counterparts? Just because it's the original source, it DOESN'T mean it's any better. Here's a motherloving example for you. Say a five-year-old drew a tree, and claimed it as theirs and wholly original. Fuckin' fine. Now, say Michelangelo comes by and adapts that tree painting into his own. Who the fuck's painting do you think is gonna be better, douchebag? Where a five-year-old can see that a tree is green and brown, Michelangelo can also see the textures of the tree, the light reflecting off its leaves, the shadows that the tree creates. You still think that "original" is better?

What the fuck is original? It means it's the source, the first thing. First does not equate to better, who fucking knew? While Bunny Drop's manga was original, the first episode of the anime created much better atmosphere and subtlety in dialogue than the manga ever did. It improved on the art, the backgrounds, the characterizations. Why, then, is it considered inferior? Because it's not "first"? Don't be a pretentious ass-fuck. I consider Ouran to be better than its manga counterpart because of superior visual angling, execution of jokes, art, and various other factors. Don't go preaching ME about original vs. adaptation. Saying original's always better, and then belittling other people with YOUR opinion, is just plain rude. Stop pullin' shit outta your ass, 'cause it's YOU that looks like an ignorant dipshit.
Sep 26, 2011 8:45 PM

Nov 2008
Yep... Those were some ugly character designs ^_-
Sep 6, 2020 7:33 AM
Aug 2020
The new lin feels like the tv series lin who has the personality of yayoi and speaking of yayoi, where the hell is she and who was the blonde girl in the pool ep

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kure-nai OVA Episode 2 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Dec 16, 2010

32 by lihle808 »»
Sep 18, 2018 4:24 PM

Poll: » Kure-nai OVA Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Gar_Logan - Jul 3, 2010

66 by lihle808 »»
Sep 18, 2018 4:17 PM

» /

delete_plz - Apr 20, 2010

7 by Rosa_FOEtida »»
May 14, 2010 7:57 AM

» /

delete_plz - May 10, 2010

0 by delete_plz »»
May 10, 2010 5:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.