Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2010 11:17 AM

Feb 2009

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow pretty good development there, one of the best episodes so far.

And pun (the name of the guy) in my language is the sound a fart does... so hearing farts so many times through the episode made me lol.
Aug 4, 2010 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
yeah it does sound like that :D
Aug 18, 2012 4:49 PM

Jan 2012
The devices they use in these episodes keep getting crazier. Glad to see some development, specially from Fujiko, she's a really interesting character and the relationship she has with Lupin is really confusing.

I wonder if the episodes follow a random order, last episode the gang was together and in this one Goemon was saying he doesn't work with women, what? xD
Aug 24, 2012 11:38 AM

Jun 2010
I like the conversation between Lupin and Fujiko in their first appearance in this episode, but I can't help feeling that it's a little screwy. Fujiko does constantly betray Lupin, but there doesn't seem to be much tension in it. She generally betrays him over money and he doesn't seem to care about money very much nor does he seem to care on principle about the breach of trust. If they had more of a love/hate relationship this episode would work better, I think.

I didn't care for being told that Fujiko has amnesia. It's a cliche and I don't see the point. Having her decide to forget Pun only to unexpectedly see him again would be fine. Given the nature of this series, though, I'm sure this memory thing will never be mentioned again, which suits me.

I do like how Fujiko puts one over on Lupin yet again just because she wants to be alone for a while.

Also of note were two particular shots; the (unnamed?) gangster flipping over his chair and grabbing his gun was ambitious and used camera movement that's very rare even today (or especially today?), and the static-camera shot of Lupin exiting the mob warehouse, driving away, then driving backwards wasn't particularly well-animated but it was interesting how much stuff is happening so quickly.

EZSPECIAL said:
I wonder if the episodes follow a random order, last episode the gang was together and in this one Goemon was saying he doesn't work with women, what? xD

Lupin is very nearly purely episodic so I think Goemon is just given a reason to be grumpy to get him out of the way because there's nothing for him to do in this episode. Similarly, how did "0.3 second draw" Jigen get out-gunned? You need to be easy-going about this sort of stuff with Lupin.
FronzelAug 24, 2012 11:54 AM
Sep 1, 2012 7:18 AM

Feb 2011
I think it would've made more sense if Pun was the gunman that Lupin and Jigen have trouble with instead of his unnamed henchman. Not only would it have made Pun a more dangerous villain, but it would've made more sense when Lupin decides to just walk off with Fujiko at the end instead of shooting Pun first--I mean, it's not like Lupin hasn't been killing people left and right for the past 9 episodes.

I think the scene of Lupin escaping the warehouse is hilarious, though, just the way Jigen casually walks off the rooftop and lands in the car.
Oct 11, 2012 2:07 AM

Jan 2012
Fronzel said:

Also of note were two particular shots; the (unnamed?) gangster flipping over his chair and grabbing his gun was ambitious and used camera movement that's very rare even today (or especially today?), and the static-camera shot of Lupin exiting the mob warehouse, driving away, then driving backwards wasn't particularly well-animated but it was interesting how much stuff is happening so quickly.

My goodness, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that crazy animation when the gangster flipped to get his gun. Looked so good for how old this show is. Then not even 3 mins pass, and we get that getaway scene from the warehouse that looked all cheesy. It's like, what the hell happened! lol

This episode had a lot to do with Fujiko's past, which is good since we really don't know anything about her. The character Pun was rather interesting. It's just too bad that we won't be seeing much more of him. I was rather shocked when Fujiko shot him to save Lupin's life. As Pun said, it appears that she has fallen in love.

Good serious episode with a healthy dose of comedy.
Mar 18, 2013 5:16 AM

Jan 2012
This episode is the most awesome among others, 'cause it has the very good and sad story, quality animation and the rest of pluses of Lupin The Third: crazy soundtrack, the funny and charismatic characters and interesting tales about robberies. :)
Oji-nyanDec 24, 2017 9:38 AM
May 21, 2014 11:07 PM

Jul 2008
I expected Fujiko to wound him, not kill him. Kinda surprised how she was willing to kill an old lover like that.
Jun 6, 2014 7:00 PM

Jan 2014
Fujiko is so fickle. Pun learned that the hard way.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 1, 2014 3:06 AM

Jan 2013
ngl I thought Pun was Lupin in disguise when he first appeared... I only realized he wasn't when he appeared again and saw Fujiko LOL

Would had liked to have Fujiko's past explored a bit more, intrigued me a bit... but of course knowing this series it won't ever come up again :P
Dec 11, 2014 7:35 PM

Apr 2012
Fujiko's so much more luscious here than in the later episodes.

One of the better early ones this, though like others have said it does still have its plot threads that feel unnecessary, with how Poon & colleague ended up being there.
Jan 16, 2016 12:48 AM

Jul 2013
This is the first major character development for Fujiko, great move. Really enjoy episodes like this.
Jan 24, 2016 9:49 PM

May 2013
I know it's been mentioned before - but damn was that camera swing awesome! For 1971 that was some incredible movement - as cheap as a lot of this show can look at times (like an instance I caught where Lupin's mouth wasn't moving when he was talking) little ambitious shots like that really sell this show. Considering it was one of the first "serious" (lol) anime this quality must've been hard to pull off and is really impressive. Really liking this show so far.
Sep 22, 2018 9:48 AM
Jan 2017
too sad story in this ep. i feel sometimes like pun, sometimes like lupin. the women not understandable.
Mar 4, 2019 11:14 PM

Oct 2012
I don't think she could be alive like that considering she got gunshot untreated for a long time, I guess plot armor is the best armor :P

Sometimes I kinda wondering whether those people are really dead or just unconscious
It's too vague, maybe they're going to appear again in the future... maybe not
"Signature removed"
Apr 21, 2019 4:08 AM

Sep 2011
An episode bringing up Fujiko's past, huh. She was part of a famous duo of killers. But she "died" once, being set free from the organization she was part of. But her partner, Poon, couldn't let her go and looked for her all this time. The thing is, his love/affection became somewhat of an obsession since he would rather see her dead than away from him.

There's also the climax when she kills him to prevent him from shooting Lupin. So, even if it was in the heat of the moment, she chose what she has now with Lupin over what she had in the past with Poon, and this is an important point. She still mourned for Poon though. I also love that Goemon first gave up on the job, but came back to check on them and even took the medical equipment to the scene. His flute also added a lot to the mood. xD
Nov 29, 2019 6:30 PM

Jun 2015
Was Pun going to let Fujiko die? lol
F for that guy though, he liked her in his own way.
Nov 29, 2019 10:28 PM

Feb 2017
"It almost feels like I'm in love with you."
Dec 3, 2019 10:06 PM
Apr 2016
A full Fujiko episode, that's nice I guess. The guy was an idiot though, how was he going to "take you with me" if she was going to die if not treated?
Feb 3, 2020 5:38 AM
Oct 2019
Don't get the point of Fujiko in Lupin's mask assaulting the bandit in his office if they already knew the documents weren't there.
Oct 20, 2021 9:55 PM

May 2019
Jigen just casually jumping off the building into the car, hah!

Oct 25, 2021 2:59 AM
Apr 2021
It is a really touching and sad episode.Damn when Fujiko shoots that guy...If I wasn't a Fujilup shipper already with this episode I would become that.The fans can hate Masaaki Osumi but they have to admit ,the Fujilup (Fujiko x Lupin as couple) is the best here.
It is interesting how in Part 1 they can show us ,Fujiko has feelings too while in other Lupin media they can't🤔Just think about it
Nov 10, 2021 10:21 AM

Sep 2018
An episode that apparently follows the usual narrative structure, with Lupine's exploits, but which on closer inspection and soon turns out to be very focused on the character of Fujiko and on his background, so that a narrative comes out that bares a little of her and of the other characters, first of all Lupine. However in this episode, there is no lack of opportunity to show how brilliant the character of Lupine is. Another thing I wanted to point out is how much the designers spend to show in each episode real and not invented vehicles, as happens again this time, with the car driven by Fujiko and more, I like this very much.
Nov 29, 2023 1:43 AM
Dec 2016
rlly good animation but fujiko deserves better than being a damsel in distress this often
Mar 3, 4:08 PM
Jun 2023
Did they know they were creating timeless images that would transcend culture and border. Did they know. Did they knowwwwwwww
Mar 16, 5:38 PM

Jan 2020
This episode was intense, holy heck.
I understand Fujiko bitchy behaviour a little more now... she is probably is still in love with her ex.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 15 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Apr 22, 2012

25 by AngelWithGunz »»
Mar 24, 10:05 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 7 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 15, 2010

19 by Pitto_ »»
Mar 14, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 17 Discussion

Baldark - Oct 22, 2012

22 by throatmuppet »»
Mar 5, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 14 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 2, 2010

39 by throatmuppet »»
Mar 3, 9:06 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 13 Discussion

busterbeam - Jun 13, 2012

31 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Feb 24, 6:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.