Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
Ye, I think this show is testing Dairokuten if he is capable of living up to his hype, or at least his reptuation.

At this rate, it seems he's always going to have to face challenges in his life. Cefiro is still teasing him as always. Dairokuten was playing mind games during that duel in the arena. I do hope this show advances the main story more cause it seems more or less reptitive in plot at the moment.
Stark700Jul 17, 7:07 AM
Jul 17, 7:25 AM

Jul 2017
Both Cefiro and Ike facing Dairokuten in brandishing 3rd Corps Commander Basteo as the culprit responsible for Ike's failed near-assassination, both sides have equal terms to blame fo rtheir failed leadership, and so, a duel is settled between the Corps Commanders commanding puppets, with the loser being killed on the spot. The surprise of Ike standing in for Cefiro which she entrusts her life in his hands, he is really in the process of thinking of a strategy by his commands alone Once again, Cefiro is just lazing around in the pool, leaving all of the hard work to Ike, which he finds guns to be a rather formidable weapon of use...which Dairokuten has made that job easy for him.

With the guns, comes the gunpowder and bullets, and that settles it for Ike'a puppet army, whereas Dairokuten provides Basteo's army with Damascus steel swords, as the duel gets underway. Basteo may have thought that his swords gave him the advantage, but it's Ike's guns and strategy that ultimately won in the end...if not for Basteo's Plan B for subjugating the entre Demon Lord's army then and there.

A forceful endeavor from a traitor, what's Ike to do?
Jul 17, 7:31 AM
Aug 2020
a good episode

surprised to see that she knew that he was a human...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jul 17, 7:44 AM
Sep 2015
Ike shows a little bit of manservice.
Jul 17, 7:50 AM
Feb 2018
Feels like a filler. Except for the last few minutes.
Jul 17, 8:00 AM

Feb 2015
Maou-samaaa <3

Unexpected she knew he was human, but I guess that's the Demon Lord for you. Kinda funny to see them have that conversation with him in just a towel though. She's also most likely fine and going to send Basteo into the next world next episode. Seems like everyone has high expectation of Ike and thus far he's not letting anyone down.

ghtyujkkpkohkjb said:
Feels like a filler. Except for the last few minutes.

I don't disagree. Maou knowing Ike is human is the most significant plot development in the episode and it didn't seem like that big of a deal.
Jul 17, 8:32 AM

Jan 2016
Witch lady just chilling
Highly doubt Demon Lord is dead, especially when she was talking so high and mighty
fire skull is an embarrassment

Ike sacrificing his shield people before attacking makes no sense to me. 3/5

Jul 17, 8:59 AM

Jun 2015
This is what you get for letting a traitor roam freely around. They murder your allies and nuke your home.
Jul 17, 11:41 AM

Jul 2022
You'd have to be very foolish to face the Dark Lord and think that a simple lecture would defeat her. This episode was more interesting because the Dark Lord knows Ike is human. Those with firearms are probably from the lost kingdom mentioned at the beginning of the anime.

Regarding Ike's strategy, I know it's fiction and no one will consider real-world data, but I'll say it anyway:

Arquebuses are very slow and have an effective range of 50 meters, while the bow has a range of 175-200 meters and is much faster. While they reload, the enemy's archers would have already riddled their arquebusiers with arrows.
That's why, in real life, the Great Captain devised that hand cannon gunners be accompanied by regiments of pikemen to protect them. Later, these would be replaced by arquebusiers and pikemen who would complement each other through strategy and tactics to win each battle.
Therefore, it wasn't until the standardization of the musket that armies began to abandon all melee units, replacing them with entire corps of musketeers, riflemen, carabineers, and the like.

And no one should say they're using muskets because muskets are much longer.

Anyway, that's my historical rant for now.
Jul 17, 11:54 AM

Feb 2019
Damn crazy cliffhanger to leave off on, but idk what the demon lord was getting at by not taking Basteo out on the spot. Did she foresee Cefiro putting Ike in her position and just wanted to test his strength?(probably)

Regardless, traitors do traitor things and it’s no surprise that he had a plan in place for if he lost and nuked the stadium. He’s a coward and all he can do is those sneak attacks just like he did with the little goblin vice commander last episode. No way the demon lord is dead, just a matter of how she’ll make her return next week. Probably after watching Ike beat Basteo’s ass?

I will give the demon lord credit for not being stupid and knowing Ike is human. I was wondering how they would eventually stop the gimmick. I am curious about what this “new world” she wants to build entails, but first things first we gotta deal with Basteo next episode.

Also very minor detail but I appreciate that they used actual firing lines for the flintlock rifles instead of making them quick reloads like a lot of anime might do lol.

Beach episode Cefiro please 🙏🏾
Marinate1016Jul 17, 12:19 PM
Jul 17, 12:01 PM

Dec 2018
Guess she didn't mind he was human. Nice infantry tactics with the rifles.
Jul 17, 1:06 PM

Jul 2014
I like the Demon Lord's attitude towards treason, it's a subtle and believable way of showing that Demons have different values than Humans. And organizing a duel to determine who's the best commander kinda makes sense. That being said, I was not impressed by the duel itself cause in the end it wasn't about leadership and tactics at all, it was just one guy bringing better weapons than the other guy...
Jul 17, 2:39 PM
Jul 2024
I wonder how the Demon Lord knew he was human, it was already implied by either the 1st or 2nd episode. Cefiro not caring about the duel and just sending Ike to deal with it was funny. Demon Lord should have killed Basteo right after but I appreciate the calm demeanor she has.
Jul 17, 3:14 PM
Nov 2017
KOHTA YAMAMOTO was cooking... That battle OST when they try to assassinate the Demon Lord was awesome! I can't wait for the Original Soundtrack.
Jul 17, 3:23 PM
Jan 2021
The story line of the 4th episode was trash.
Jul 17, 4:42 PM

Jun 2023
Now we’re using muskets? Full on Spanish
Jul 17, 5:05 PM

May 2019
This episode got really interesting towards the end but also when it was revealed that the demon lord knew Ike was human (I mean even the blonde knight from a couple episodes knew after meeting him). I'm sure that the demon lord is alive and will obliterate the traitor or have Ike/Cefiro do it and she most likely set up the duel to test Ike's abilities.
Alfredo-SauceJul 17, 5:09 PM
Jul 17, 6:04 PM
Jul 2024
Reply to Narizor
You'd have to be very foolish to face the Dark Lord and think that a simple lecture would defeat her. This episode was more interesting because the Dark Lord knows Ike is human. Those with firearms are probably from the lost kingdom mentioned at the beginning of the anime.

Regarding Ike's strategy, I know it's fiction and no one will consider real-world data, but I'll say it anyway:

Arquebuses are very slow and have an effective range of 50 meters, while the bow has a range of 175-200 meters and is much faster. While they reload, the enemy's archers would have already riddled their arquebusiers with arrows.
That's why, in real life, the Great Captain devised that hand cannon gunners be accompanied by regiments of pikemen to protect them. Later, these would be replaced by arquebusiers and pikemen who would complement each other through strategy and tactics to win each battle.
Therefore, it wasn't until the standardization of the musket that armies began to abandon all melee units, replacing them with entire corps of musketeers, riflemen, carabineers, and the like.

And no one should say they're using muskets because muskets are much longer.

Anyway, that's my historical rant for now.
@Narizor This is why Cortez did not REALLY defeat the Aztecs! Smallpox did. Muzzle loading guns take too long to load, bows can be shot just as quickly ( during the first engagement with the Aztecs, Cortez was sent packing back to Coast. LOL. Too bad about that one dead Spanish soldier the Mesoamericans looted.)
I guess surprise worked here, but really, the other Commander was an idiot just standing there. Or Plot Armor.
Jul 17, 6:20 PM
Jan 2022
Great episode I didn't expect the demon queen to be aware of Ike identity
Jul 17, 6:24 PM
Apr 2018
The fight adaptation for this episode made me sad. No double line formation for Ike and his shielder puppets despawned halfway through.
Jul 17, 7:41 PM

Feb 2019
i don't think the current demon lord's actually defeated. basteo's celebrating way too quickly thinking he already won when in fact he hasn't won the war yet. oh well, guess we'll find out next week exactly what the fate of the current demon lord is.
Jul 17, 8:03 PM

Nov 2016
That battle was ass
Jul 17, 9:18 PM
Jan 2021
This show is the definition of mid so far. I'll give it 1 more episode.
Jul 17, 9:53 PM

Feb 2011
I wish the demon lord walking in on Ike had more of an "oh shit" moment. It was like "yeah yeah I know you're human, just do good in my army"

which is fine, but dude was almost naked and the demon lord popped in lol. I would've shit a brick the size of Rhode island if I thought the LORD OF MY COUNTRY found out I was the enemy race...

oh well, decent episode overall. bumped from a 6 to a 7. the guns were a fun touch, I'm guessing blameo or whatever is going to get his ass handed to him next episode

Jul 18, 12:34 AM

Apr 2010
I personally enjoy the story but the animation is terrible. Reminds me of Kingdom season 1.
Jul 18, 9:54 AM

Dec 2016
Meh.

Watched episodes 2-4 back to back and the little hope I had from episode 1 to at least be as charming as Yuusha Yamemasu died so quickly.

Everything is so drawn out, from dialogues to "mansplain" the most obvious plots. With a decent storyboard and better writer that would have condensed all the yapping from the LN into proper dialogue for TV format, these 4 episodes could had easily been reduced to 3 or even 2.5.

There's the cheapness of almost every female being into the main character. I was kinda expecting this to happen sooner or later anyway like most LN do, but really not this cheap. The random scenes of Cefiro taking a bath or just frolicking in a pool is just dumb, and not even funny dumb.

This last episode was just utterly stupid even looking at it with the most anime beer goggles. The demonlord acknowledges there's a traitor among her ranks and she decides that 2 of her commanders should fight each other with puppets to prove their value as commanders? Why not let them use their actual magical skills and also command small groups of actual soldiers? These puppets aren't going to be of actual worth in a real battle. She also pops out of nowhere firearms in a world filled with magic and medieval tech and no one is going to question why?
Jul 21, 8:50 AM
Feb 2014
Monoeye Dullahan becomes new 😈 lord? We shall see.😆
Jul 22, 6:01 PM
Jun 2021
The best episode so far, the plot with the demon king is good.
Jul 22, 9:29 PM

Apr 2009
Why would you let your shields get slaughtered instead of having them actually defend while the guns fire and reload? Episode 4 and the only impressive thing about Ike so far is how literally everyone finds out he's a human. The series keeps telling us how great he is while not showing us any reason to really believe that.

It was hinted the Demon Lord already knew Ike was human when saying she wanted to see under his mask, but having that moment be she walks in on him... kind of underwhelming and felt like a waste.

Dealing with traitors is important, but sort of feels like at this rate the Demon Army's going to wipe two of its own big armies in the process. I hope there'll at least be some consequence or interesting result of this infighting, but probably not.
Jul 23, 2:24 AM

Sep 2011
basteo is dumb as fuck for not checking if the demon lord really is dead before self-proclaiming he's the new demon lord. anyone can figure that much out lol the demon lord calmly walking in on an almost naked ike with a straight ass face and guns while ike's all "????????" to her unexpected presence. and then there's cefiro being just cefiro lmao
Jul 23, 10:09 AM

Nov 2009
Huh... so they actually have "Guns"...

Also... Swimsuits + Sunglasses + Floaters... this MC can become a master inventor of this world if he wasn't focused in being a Demon commander...

(tho the guns are fairly low level, this is like a old European single bullet rifle that requires one of those long-metal-rods to load bullets. Also Ike's using the old British formation)

(what's real interesting is... is this "Gun" pre-existing? or did Maou somehow read Ike's mind and created it?) (also... why old European Rifle... why not a more powerful Gun that isn't single load?)

And... Well...

it's kinda obvious that the Maou knows MC's a human...

I mean... MC sucks at hiding he's a human... really... dude's like "I've stay hidden for years" when in fact... bunch of ppls already figured out he's a human... only the low rank demons don't know, LOL.

Not to mention... this is a fairly generic "Pink haired Female Maou" that's used in a lot of other series.

And Maou is sorta fairly balanced, she gave both side OP weapons that they wanted. She didn't favor one over the other.

And yea... "Don't bring swords to a gun fight" (unless OFC, you can deflect bullets)

But also... why are these "traitors" keep on thinking they already won without checking... it's the same as the Goblin dude that think his arrow killed Ike... LUL
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Jun 2020
How can broom be used as a remote weapon? Am I dont understand something

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 24

23 by Hirugiku »»
5 hours ago

» Don't read this - Theme tags

Isguros - Jul 24

10 by ejleon »»
Jul 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 10

34 by levibigass »»
Jul 19, 11:29 AM

» Is Cefiro a human?

tomarwan - Jul 17

5 by Scootboi »»
Jul 17, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 3

49 by PettankoLover »»
Jul 17, 8:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.