Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 22, 12:01 PM

Apr 2022
Usually when toys are made and sold in stores, sometimes manufacturers create tv shows for advertisements. Sometimes these tv shows are considered “30 minute ads” for consumers.

As for anime, if a show is created based on a toy, do you consider the show a “30 min. ad”, even if the show is well written or not?

Bonus question: Is there any anime shows you like based on toys?
May 22, 12:03 PM

Feb 2020
Hello Kitty came to my mind first, meow. =^_^=
May 22, 12:04 PM
Aug 2018
I consider them ads, but others might think otherwise.

I used to have Beyblades and Bakugan toys when I was in primary school.

I don't know where they are now, they were probably thrown away during spring cleanings, and I don't really care about the shows.
May 22, 12:15 PM

May 2019
Queen's Blade and Bikini Warriors.
May 22, 12:49 PM

Dec 2021
I mean, Minky Momo is one I'm going to watch, and it certainly had an intense tie to the toy line-up (Wikipedia rather explicitly says it was "aimed at young girls with the goal of selling toys")... so much so that Ashi Pro got a bit offended when the toy company who sponsored Minky Momo from the begining pulled out, Ashi Pro made an episode where they ran the main character over with a truck carrying toys, effectively making the toys a lot less likely for kids to ever want to buy. She gets reincarnated, but still, this means she dies as a "fuck you" to the sponsor for pulling funding.

Here's a video on it by someone other than Kenny Lauderdale, since too many people say "Watch Kenny Lauderdale's video on [Insert X anime here]".

Daviljoe193May 22, 3:29 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 22, 1:28 PM

Sep 2016
I watched a few Beyblade episodes when I was a kid, but using the real ones with classmates was way more fun.

We even built custom beyblades and arenas, one of them had razorsharp blades and flew out of the arena, onto somebody's arm and it cut them bloody ^^
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 22, 1:29 PM

Apr 2024
@FuunsaikiStar,

there is an anime in your list of completed works that is associated with toys (action figures) - Black★Rock Shooter (TV), and it is criminally great for just being a commercial advertisement. It is the magnum opus of studios Ordet & Sanzigen and an expression of artistic giftedness of best talents of Kyoto Animation and Trigger given nearly unlimited creative freedom. Most people are blinded by its brilliance, but those who are able to see the forest behind the trees always hold this gem in high regard. This gem is known among the most demanding fans of Madoka Magica and has been a cult classic for Vocaloid fans for longer than 12 years, and for a very good reason.

Another one is Selector Infected WIXOSS (card game advertisement), but it is more of a brilliant storytelling in cinema form than brilliant cinema in general.
PostMahouShoujoMay 22, 1:33 PM
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 22, 1:49 PM

Jan 2021
technically, almost every anime is a publicity for a product ( usually a manga, sometimes a novel, game, card game ... ). In my opinion, if some effort was put into a show, whether in the writing, production value, creativity or whatever else, simply describing it as an "30 min ad" would be quite reductive. Being an ad wouldn't diminish the fact that effort was put into it, that it can have something to say or that it is simply entertaining, even if the original product is a toy.

I actually can't think about a lot of anime made to advertise a toy ( in the way that the toy existed before the idea of making the anime ). Maybe Hello Kitty but it's mostly nostalgia talking because I haven't watched it for a very long time. Some Beyblades series were also fun.
May 22, 1:51 PM

Jun 2017
Frame Arms Girl is as close to being "just an ad" as it is possible. Each episode told you what models you could buy, how to play with them, available accessories etc.
It has a simple but very effective use of CGI: the humans are hand drawn (and quite smoothly), and the models and battles are CGI, which is perfect because they look just like toys.
But nobody watches ads for their own sake, let alone 12 23min ads one after the other: the media have to force ads on you. So even in these extreme cases I wouldn't call it "just an ad".

May 22, 2:46 PM
Jun 2021
Hmm... when it comes to "purely based on the toys" rather than "the merch companies butt in and force the author to alter his vision" (which is the case with a lot of mecha anime), I'd say the only anime I truly cared about were the usual stuff: Beyblade, Bakugan, B-Daman, can't remember more but I'm sure there have been quite a few titles like that. Out of all these, I'd say Bakugan is actually the most solid to me as an adult, the characters were solid and it had some genuinely moving scenes. Oh, and the mon talk. Always a plus when the companion creatures actually talk.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 22, 3:30 PM

Aug 2023
I recently enjoyed watching
Mighty Orbots
The art is great for a toy peddling show, the vintage space fantasy mood turned out really vibrant.
May 22, 3:50 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
There are quite a few of those, innit?

Cap Revolution Bottleman comes to mind, which I found surprisingly enjoyable (need to get back to where I left off on S2).
May 22, 3:53 PM

Mar 2008
I think it would be funny if there was an eroanime made to sell sex toys.
May 26, 6:19 AM

Jun 2015
They are more like 20 minutes ads not 30 but yeah, any anime made to sell toys as a main source of income (not talking about figures that just help maximize profit) is an ad.

Can those anime be good ? Honestly I have a hard time answering this because most anime like this that I know, I watched them back when I was a kid and kids are stupid. I remember liking or even loving shows like Beyblade, Digimon, Chousoku Spinner, Bakusou Kyoudai Let's & Go Special, Crush Gear Turbo, Rockman.EXE (yeah video games can be included with toys) and even lesser known stuff like B-Daman and I owned many toys from what I listed here. I even liked shows that were meat for girls like magical girls stuff (most of them are just trying to sell silly gadgets in pink plastic) although I didn't buy any toys from these shows.
Overall, I liked these shows as a kid so it feels bad to shit on them now that I grew over this stuff. I still think these anime are low effort and they don't bring any originality therefore they are not worth following for a broad audience but for kids I guess it's ok.

Are there any shows worth watching for adults ? If you are a bit nerdy, I guess Yu-gi-oh is decent (at least duel monsters and maybe GX, everything after is shit). I say this because the lore of Yu-gi-oh is a bit interesting the script is mostly stupid but there is a lot variety with lots of arcs with different enemies and objectives and all, and at least there some nice drawings and music and sound effects. It's just not a cheap show.

May 26, 6:29 AM

May 2019
Yeah, of course anime is mostly just a promotion or ads for the original material just like manga or light novels. Aikatsu comes to mind as my favorite one so far as it's a collectible cards game played on arcade.

May 26, 9:49 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to VivaceRex
Yeah, of course anime is mostly just a promotion or ads for the original material just like manga or light novels. Aikatsu comes to mind as my favorite one so far as it's a collectible cards game played on arcade.
@VivaceRex

and also the anime from the Pretty series franchise

idol anime are different in the sense that they also serve as promotion material for the idols.

ps. Aikatsu also had a mobile game. too bad it didn't last for long.

pps. another example is Yu-gi-oh! and card fight vanguard, which are basically promotional material for the respective card games.
DreamingBeatsMay 26, 9:52 AM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 26, 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
Ichigeki Sacchuu!! Hoihoi-san

They -technically- aren't toys. It's about tiny robots that are designed to destroy pesticide immune bugs. They're basically like toys though, it's a fun concept. A fun read and watch.

May 26, 10:41 AM

Oct 2017
Beyblade is probably one of the biggest toy-based Japanese anime franchises that comes to mind. Even with the fact that the show has to advertise the toys, show off the gimmicks of each top they still put in a lot of effort into the show.

Gen 1 had some really good hand-drawn animation for the tops in the first season before experimenting with CGI in V-Force and G-Rev. It was rather jarring, but the change became standard and was much better implemented the further the franchise went on. In the Metal Saga shows, the CGI Beyblades much better integrated into the animation style, and come Burst they started adding a lot more visual effects and dynamic camera angles to further take advantage of the Beyblades.

The story is also pretty decent in some of the later shows. Metal is pretty well regarded in the fandom for its lore
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.

More topics from this board

» Create Your Perfect Staff:

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

37 by APolygons2 »»
4 seconds ago

» Who let women into the Boys' Love club? Every single Boys' Love anime to this date is written by women.

lostsymphonies - 23 minutes ago

1 by IpreferEcchi »»
8 minutes ago

» Idolizing Villains

SimplyBrazen - 6 hours ago

12 by Kouroubelo »»
16 minutes ago

» Nominate 1 character from your Favorites that would be the best at Butt Sumo, and nominate 1 that would be the worst

IpreferEcchi - Jun 17

15 by Vaturna »»
41 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

IssyBoy - Jun 17

76 by Kwanthemaster »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.