Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Can the mods start filtering out review bombing and blatant slander from people not watching

Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 12, 5:00 PM
Mar 2024
Can the mods start doing something about the low scores and slander coming from people who haven't seen the previous seasons and/or starting random fuss. We have already had a few instances of some randos who clearly didn't watch the previous seasons hop on the threads and start insulting the fans

Dal v is sweeping every anime poll from corner, sugoi, trending. It usually takes an anime with a very high score like bleach tybw, oshi no ko, bokuyaba to do that. Of course this will trigger jealously and cause other fans to tank the score out of spite.

Dal now has a greater percentage of 1s than any major show airing this season. Also scores 5 to 2. Not even tensura which is facing major backlash is suffering low scores at a greater percentage. There should be some measure against randos hoping in and neutering the score. Like immediately removing obvious low scores from people who didn't see any of the prior seasons.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 12, 5:51 PM
Apr 2023
i think its too complicated to do so but i don't care about some Random Haters. If they don't have good critism with good Arguments they don't count in my opinion. But you're right this is a big Problem and ugly that People random Start hating this Season without seeing 1 Episode of it
May 12, 5:52 PM
Nov 2023
You’re completely right, it’s nasty that mean spirited ‘anime fans’ act so badly against others with the same minority interest. But as you already know, they do it across all genres in a similar way, although it seems a bit worse for DAL. Mods will never act to prevent this kind of abuse directly as it evens out from show to show naturally. But I believe there are algorithms in play that catch a percentage of blatant rigging, so maybe it’s just not as bad as it looks. Sadly, despite your opinions or mine, maybe the show just isn’t top tier anime by general consensus? I think it’s decent, the last few episodes have been seriously great, but as you say, the bad scores are from people who haven’t even seen them.
Just enjoy whatever you like and forget MAL scores, it’s a western thing that the Japanese studios and producers don’t give a s**t about. It’s truly worthless.
May 12, 6:04 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Yuan3681
i think its too complicated to do so but i don't care about some Random Haters. If they don't have good critism with good Arguments they don't count in my opinion. But you're right this is a big Problem and ugly that People random Start hating this Season without seeing 1 Episode of it
@Yuan3681 it is not too complicated. Just factor in weighted poll scores from various sites like trending and corner. Factor in the amount of positive reviews vs negative and helpfulness of all.

Pay attention to the scores that are like 5 and below and remove a percentage of them from final calculations according to various sites.

It is pretty safe to say like 80% of the 4 or below scores are people not legit watching the show. There is no way a show can dominate all polls and have nearly all positive reviews and have such a high percentage of viewers dissatisfied with it.
May 12, 6:14 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to FutoiOtaku
You’re completely right, it’s nasty that mean spirited ‘anime fans’ act so badly against others with the same minority interest. But as you already know, they do it across all genres in a similar way, although it seems a bit worse for DAL. Mods will never act to prevent this kind of abuse directly as it evens out from show to show naturally. But I believe there are algorithms in play that catch a percentage of blatant rigging, so maybe it’s just not as bad as it looks. Sadly, despite your opinions or mine, maybe the show just isn’t top tier anime by general consensus? I think it’s decent, the last few episodes have been seriously great, but as you say, the bad scores are from people who haven’t even seen them.
Just enjoy whatever you like and forget MAL scores, it’s a western thing that the Japanese studios and producers don’t give a s**t about. It’s truly worthless.
@FutoiOtaku filtering out low scores is not rocket science. It is probably too much work to find who watch the previous seasons. All they need to do is to use a weighted algorithm based on the positive reviews vs negative as well as poll results. And target scores that are like 5 or below. Pay attention to the shows doing well on polls since the trolls will target those shows first and foremost.

Legit no one who is watching this far this season will score the show a 4 or below based on how dominating this show is on polls. It is easy to find out a review made to tank reception or troll in the threads. The fanbase will filter that out.

But they are going to have to do it eventually. It takes no effort for like some influencer with lots of sub to start a random hate video without watching the series and immediately get all the toxics here and effectively to turn these forums into 4chan. Joey basically did just that.
May 12, 7:03 PM

Apr 2015
Eh, it's not really a big deal imo. A lot of my favorite shows have low scores here, but that doesn't take away my enjoyment. How are you realistically going to stop people from giving low scores to everything anyway? There's only 60+ 1 votes on this season.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 12, 7:13 PM
May 2023
SpiderMiles3523 said:
Can the mods start doing something about the low scores and slander coming from people who haven't seen the previous seasons and/or starting random fuss. We have already had a few instances of some randos who clearly didn't watch the previous seasons hop on the threads and start insulting the fans

Dal v is sweeping every anime poll from corner, sugoi, trending. It usually takes an anime with a very high score like bleach tybw, oshi no ko, bokuyaba to do that. Of course this will trigger jealously and cause other fans to tank the score out of spite.

Dal now has a greater percentage of 1s than any major show airing this season. Also scores 5 to 2. Not even tensura which is facing major backlash is suffering low scores at a greater percentage. There should be some measure against randos hoping in and neutering the score. Like immediately removing obvious low scores from people who didn't see any of the prior seasons.

They do have a system in place to filter out fake scores
May 12, 7:16 PM

Jul 2016
Like the person above has said you can read more here.
May 12, 9:19 PM
Apr 2021
I noticed the same problem in Demon Slayer season 4 yesterday, where it was scored at 7.66. Now it is rated at 8.11.
May 12, 9:45 PM

May 2013
Reply to RoyalDemon05
I noticed the same problem in Demon Slayer season 4 yesterday, where it was scored at 7.66. Now it is rated at 8.11.
@RoyalDemon05 Initial scores will also tend to be from people who are dedicated to watching shows as they air and commenting on forums etc. and will thus also tend to be a bit harsher on their scores having seen a lot more shows. That's why this happens to almost every show: they'll tend to start with a lower score and increase in score over the first few days. Also, speaking to other points made earlier in this discussion, there's no good way to validate if someone has ACTUALLY seen a show or not (they can just click a few buttons and the site thinks they have). There are also plenty of people who just won't have the same taste as you and might give a show that you love a much lower score. Sometimes it's the small, subtle changes from season to season that can alienate someone. For instance, Attack on titan's final series completely alienating me with imo awful character writing, where previously I loved the series.

Not saying whether it is or isn't happening on this season of Date a Live. I will say, however, the only reason I'm on this forum is because I've been gathering information over time for my fantasy anime league spread sheet. Looking at the data for Date a live, I don't see any sort of abnormal behavior relative to other shows. Even just looking at the score curve on MAL, if anything Date a Live has an incredibly ordinary curve. Only 1% being a 1/10 is pretty normal and not bad at all, and verrrrry few people have given it below a 5. This just seems to be the rating the audience has given the show. Compared to yuru camp season 3's score distribution, they appear to be fairly similar. If there is botting or other malicious activity occurring that can be remedied with reasonable ease, by all means they should, but at a glance I don't think there's a statically significant amount of malicious activity in this case.
May 12, 10:10 PM

Jul 2015
That does not only happen to DAL. Mushoku Tensei and Demon Slayer suffer from that the most.

May 13, 2:59 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Piromysl
That does not only happen to DAL. Mushoku Tensei and Demon Slayer suffer from that the most.
@Piromysl not nearly the same level as dal. Whenever dal criticism comes up it is always "who tf is watching this" or "it is just a trashy ecchi harem" despite having less nudity than code geass. It is basically blatant review bombing. You never see demon slayer suffering this despite dal and demon slayer having equivalent episodes and dal is spread out over time so easier to catch up. Mushoku doesn't have as many episodes as of yet but you dont hear the sake comments
May 13, 3:11 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to turtleinshell
@RoyalDemon05 Initial scores will also tend to be from people who are dedicated to watching shows as they air and commenting on forums etc. and will thus also tend to be a bit harsher on their scores having seen a lot more shows. That's why this happens to almost every show: they'll tend to start with a lower score and increase in score over the first few days. Also, speaking to other points made earlier in this discussion, there's no good way to validate if someone has ACTUALLY seen a show or not (they can just click a few buttons and the site thinks they have). There are also plenty of people who just won't have the same taste as you and might give a show that you love a much lower score. Sometimes it's the small, subtle changes from season to season that can alienate someone. For instance, Attack on titan's final series completely alienating me with imo awful character writing, where previously I loved the series.

Not saying whether it is or isn't happening on this season of Date a Live. I will say, however, the only reason I'm on this forum is because I've been gathering information over time for my fantasy anime league spread sheet. Looking at the data for Date a live, I don't see any sort of abnormal behavior relative to other shows. Even just looking at the score curve on MAL, if anything Date a Live has an incredibly ordinary curve. Only 1% being a 1/10 is pretty normal and not bad at all, and verrrrry few people have given it below a 5. This just seems to be the rating the audience has given the show. Compared to yuru camp season 3's score distribution, they appear to be fairly similar. If there is botting or other malicious activity occurring that can be remedied with reasonable ease, by all means they should, but at a glance I don't think there's a statically significant amount of malicious activity in this case.
@turtleinshell yuru camp only has like 0.5% score of 1s and low scores. It isn't topping polls so it less likely a target. Dal has around the same people scoring but 1% of 1s and is topping polls. You can see dal is an easy target for people to tank out of jealousy. You can go to the low scores from the members who did it and almost all of them didnt even watch the previous 4 seasons. It is basically an easy target for people to quickly tank its score out of jealousy.

Like tensura season 3 is facing massive backlash and audience is dissatisfaction is unlikely to fall out of an 8 score because it has a very high viewership and thus more people giving it a 10 at the beginning. Even if they give the laziest animation possible.
May 13, 1:31 PM
Oct 2023
the problem is mainly the low number of voters, only 7,000, whereas our community is much larger (and there are nearly 90,000 members on the dal page). To compare, Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Season 2 Part 2 has around 33,000 voters.
May 13, 7:11 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to benjic665
the problem is mainly the low number of voters, only 7,000, whereas our community is much larger (and there are nearly 90,000 members on the dal page). To compare, Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Season 2 Part 2 has around 33,000 voters.
@benjic665 older shows are bound to get fewer voters. Look at dragon ball, gundam seed. So it is very easy for jealous fans from other fans to tank the scores. Solution is to compare the score with the poll rankings from corner and trending and use that to remove all the 5 and below votes based on a scale.
May 13, 7:18 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to FutoiOtaku
@FutoiOtaku the show is polling number on 1 on all polls this spring. So general consensus is kind of bs. Only shows with near 9 scores have been able to do that yet this show is stuck at low 8 when almost all viewers it should be mid ti high 8 minimum.

Another problem is since this show has fewer members, several people, notably isekai fans, took advantage of it and have hopped onto these threads and started harassing the fans that try to reason with them. Since they are less likely to get reported, and easier to get a mob.

I once again mention they should compare the score with various poll rankings and adjust accordingly by filtering out low scores which in like 95% of cases for this show will be people who haven't seen prior seasons.
May 13, 8:00 PM
Nov 2023
That’s just desperate reasoning, disqualification from polls due to not watching previous seasons? That’s simply vote rigging. If that logic was applied to all anime, imagine how new one piece viewers would feel knowing their opinion doesn’t count because they haven’t seen the thousand plus episodes previous to the current season. Your precious favourite show, which I too rate highly, is being treated extremely well in comparison to most, scores of 5 and below are less than 400 out of 7021 people’s ratings. Real top tier masterpieces like Mushoku Tensei aren’t that lucky! Even Frieren, best anime of the decade, got way more 1 scores from haters.
You have watched so few anime it’s ridiculous, and have an average rating of over 9, come back in a year with a wide range of anime experience before trying to bend the ratings in favour of a show that is fairly rated low 8. That is actually a damn good score!!! Some of my favourite shows that I rate 10 are sat at 6 or 7, but I don’t complain because my enjoyment isn’t damaged by the opinions of others.
May 14, 12:04 AM
Sep 2021
a show scoring high in ranking doesn't mean it's Popular among anime fans though lol

it's still an Ecchi harem series, that's by default makes most anime fans dislike it
May 14, 3:41 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to FutoiOtaku
That’s just desperate reasoning, disqualification from polls due to not watching previous seasons? That’s simply vote rigging. If that logic was applied to all anime, imagine how new one piece viewers would feel knowing their opinion doesn’t count because they haven’t seen the thousand plus episodes previous to the current season. Your precious favourite show, which I too rate highly, is being treated extremely well in comparison to most, scores of 5 and below are less than 400 out of 7021 people’s ratings. Real top tier masterpieces like Mushoku Tensei aren’t that lucky! Even Frieren, best anime of the decade, got way more 1 scores from haters.
You have watched so few anime it’s ridiculous, and have an average rating of over 9, come back in a year with a wide range of anime experience before trying to bend the ratings in favour of a show that is fairly rated low 8. That is actually a damn good score!!! Some of my favourite shows that I rate 10 are sat at 6 or 7, but I don’t complain because my enjoyment isn’t damaged by the opinions of others.
@FutoiOtaku these are weighted polls. Tell me, do presidential elections get decided based on the rating the candidate gets. Or are they chosen based on bow many votes that person has. Do blu ray sales is based on a rating or how many people choose to buy it. This is common sense, not rocket science

Also you give tensura season 3 an 8 despite it having the highest viewer dissatisfaction. So ur not exactly the best judge. And you can complain an 8 for this show which is considered covering the best lns written in history and well done visuals is somehow too generous.
May 14, 4:36 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to FutoiOtaku
@FutoiOtaku poll rigging is pure bs. Site administrators can easily find out bots and filter them out. It is a general audience vote. Suggesting otherwise is pure larping. Even mushoku tensei fans who read dal straight up admit dal vol 17-19 is straight up better than their turning point 4 and the best written lns of all time.
May 14, 5:08 AM
Nov 2023
Not a word of what you say can be substantiated, it is all your personal assumptions and opinions. You are desperately trying to validate your own favourite where in reality, IT DOESN’T MATTER! You enjoyed it so far. Me too. And some other people. And some were less impressed. My opinion of Slime doesn’t line up with yours therefore my opinion is invalid? Just step back and look at the words of a dictator! You have next to no experience of anime but see yourself as the mighty know all opinion of what’s best, and choose an imperfect show written very well, but clearly aimed at a younger audience pretty much like Harry Potter. It is where it belongs, and no amount of tantrums or false ‘facts’ based on personal interpretation of the truth will change that.
May 14, 7:04 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to FutoiOtaku
Not a word of what you say can be substantiated, it is all your personal assumptions and opinions. You are desperately trying to validate your own favourite where in reality, IT DOESN’T MATTER! You enjoyed it so far. Me too. And some other people. And some were less impressed. My opinion of Slime doesn’t line up with yours therefore my opinion is invalid? Just step back and look at the words of a dictator! You have next to no experience of anime but see yourself as the mighty know all opinion of what’s best, and choose an imperfect show written very well, but clearly aimed at a younger audience pretty much like Harry Potter. It is where it belongs, and no amount of tantrums or false ‘facts’ based on personal interpretation of the truth will change that.
@FutoiOtaku https://www.reddit.com/r/mushokutensei/s/ISpSHx0EUa

Even mushoku fanbase admits defeat and gives it to dal.

Light novel readers hype things all the time. It was dead obvious even before season 3 aired that tensura's reception collapse due to what happens in ln and season 2 sluggish pacing.

It was also pretty evident that dal would sweep polls due to performance of season 4 and outstanding reveals, foreshadowing.
May 14, 7:25 AM
Nov 2023
A minority of Mushoku’s former fans who have a short attention span and cry over plot based rather than action based arcs are not representative of all the true fans. Neither are the poor dears who can’t follow Slime’s complex politics and cry about all the ‘yapping’. I assume you also are a teen with ADD therefore cherry picking minority opinions is natural for you. Like I say, someone with 17 anime completed doesn’t qualify to cast judgement on anything anime related as if picking out a few favourable items from the whole spectrum of media available proves any point. Just get over yourself. Lots of grown ups post reviews praising both the anime you mentioned, it’s just children who complain when a show doesn’t dumb itself down to their IQ.
May 14, 9:03 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to FutoiOtaku
A minority of Mushoku’s former fans who have a short attention span and cry over plot based rather than action based arcs are not representative of all the true fans. Neither are the poor dears who can’t follow Slime’s complex politics and cry about all the ‘yapping’. I assume you also are a teen with ADD therefore cherry picking minority opinions is natural for you. Like I say, someone with 17 anime completed doesn’t qualify to cast judgement on anything anime related as if picking out a few favourable items from the whole spectrum of media available proves any point. Just get over yourself. Lots of grown ups post reviews praising both the anime you mentioned, it’s just children who complain when a show doesn’t dumb itself down to their IQ.
@FutoiOtaku tensura collapsed in score and poll rankings everywhere. Even in Japan with a below 3 star score which is abysmally low for shonen anime. Not even shield hero season 2 did this bad and get such high percentage of negative reviews.

Even japanese fans want the anime to end after season 3 to salvage its reputation. Tensura 3 had the most hype and viewers going in. It went from almost 5 star reviews to barely getting 3 star reviews.

Dal v is the highest selling blu ray right now and highest polled anime on all the polling sites. Dal had far less hype and viewership going in.

Seems ur opinion is the minority.
May 14, 9:30 AM
Nov 2023
SpiderMiles3523 said:
@FutoiOtaku tensura collapsed in score and poll rankings everywhere. Even in Japan with a below 3 star score which is abysmally low for shonen anime. Not even shield hero season 2 did this bad and get such high percentage of negative reviews.

Even japanese fans want the anime to end after season 3 to salvage its reputation. Tensura 3 had the most hype and viewers going in. It went from almost 5 star reviews to barely getting 3 star reviews.

Dal v is the highest selling blu ray right now and highest polled anime on all the polling sites. Dal had far less hype and viewership going in.

I already said most of that myself, as an older anime watcher with a broader world view I enjoy deeper storylines that the average teenage anime viewer would not appreciate. I never claimed to be a majority! But that doesn’t change the fact that your desperate attempt to raise one show’s MAL rating at the expense of others is simply futile. People like what they like and are free to score things as they see fit, you have no power over that. Your opinions are not facts, just personal views. Using arguments like ‘the Mushoku Tensei fanbase have admitted blah blah blah’ is patently ridiculous as I, a fan of said anime (not the ln source) was never polled on the subject. Some disillusioned power anime fans may have said that, but they don’t speak for all of us or the ranking, despite all the 1 point bombing which is magnitudes worse than that for DAL, would not be so high. Simply, most fans just don’t give a s**t about MAL rankings because all that matters is HOW MUCH YOU ENJOY IT YOURSELF.
May 14, 12:43 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to FutoiOtaku
SpiderMiles3523 said:

I already said most of that myself, as an older anime watcher with a broader world view I enjoy deeper storylines that the average teenage anime viewer would not appreciate. I never claimed to be a majority! But that doesn’t change the fact that your desperate attempt to raise one show’s MAL rating at the expense of others is simply futile. People like what they like and are free to score things as they see fit, you have no power over that. Your opinions are not facts, just personal views. Using arguments like ‘the Mushoku Tensei fanbase have admitted blah blah blah’ is patently ridiculous as I, a fan of said anime (not the ln source) was never polled on the subject. Some disillusioned power anime fans may have said that, but they don’t speak for all of us or the ranking, despite all the 1 point bombing which is magnitudes worse than that for DAL, would not be so high. Simply, most fans just don’t give a s**t about MAL rankings because all that matters is HOW MUCH YOU ENJOY IT YOURSELF.
@FutoiOtaku You just don't get it. It is isnt the number of 1s but the percentage of 1st. An influencer can easily create a spite tweet and gather the trolls and tank a show's score. For a show with fewer viewers or members, it will immediately tank the score and create a harassment campaign against the fans. Even if it polling high on polls. There is nothing stopping them from doing this. There has to be some sort of filter and can be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Tensura season 3 has almost entirely negative reviews. Almost no one can defend that show anymore after 6 episodes of yapping. Even tensura's own fandom are starting to boycott season 3. More than shield hero season 2, kanokari. But the chances that it dips into the 8 region seem slim. Because it had a ton of viewers initially who spammed 10. So negative ratings later on will make it harder to bring the score down.
Polls do seasons on an episode by episode basis. To avoid bias of people spamming 10 on episode 1.

Anitube are less likely to bash tensura season 3 even if has like a 90% bad reviews.
1. They are almost always shit at their job and pushed tensura season 3 to be aots. They rather stay quiet than admit. Cuz u can't judge aots after 1 eps
2. They rather not jump at a very popular show unless there was heavy backlash going in. For fear they may get attacked
May 14, 12:54 PM
Nov 2023
Enough already! Brainwashing by repetition isn’t working! You cry about people shitting on one show whilst shitting on others to make examples. It’s hypocrisy. Polls only answered by negative people give negative results. Do you like anime or not? Does it need to be constant war between fans of particular genres or even shows? Just be happy that the kind, creative people of Japan make all these brilliant forms of entertainment. Your opinion, and that of MAL in general, is unimportant to the creators who you criticise so vocally. Just enjoy the freedom to watch what you like from a huge and varied back catalog of several decades and get your head out of your ass about a few polls and ratings!!!
May 14, 1:29 PM
Oct 2021
Can't help it. We got ourself a lot of DAL haters
May 14, 4:36 PM

May 2013
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@turtleinshell yuru camp only has like 0.5% score of 1s and low scores. It isn't topping polls so it less likely a target. Dal has around the same people scoring but 1% of 1s and is topping polls. You can see dal is an easy target for people to tank out of jealousy. You can go to the low scores from the members who did it and almost all of them didnt even watch the previous 4 seasons. It is basically an easy target for people to quickly tank its score out of jealousy.

Like tensura season 3 is facing massive backlash and audience is dissatisfaction is unlikely to fall out of an 8 score because it has a very high viewership and thus more people giving it a 10 at the beginning. Even if they give the laziest animation possible.
@SpiderMiles3523 Yuru Camp and Date A Live are sequels that have a fairly similar distribution, number of viewers, etc. (Yuru also has more forum posts). 0.5% versus 1.0% hardly seems like mass review bombing to me. The biggest effect that might have on the score, which would be if we say the score would otherwise be a 10/10 for the other 99.5% of people, would be reducing the score by .045. That's NOT how much it actually reduced the score, that would be closer to ~.036 given the current score.

There are doubtlessly SOME genuine scores in the 1 category. Arguably, watching this many seasons of a show they dislike or are on the fence about might seem like a waste of their time, but not necessarily a breach of the rules, and if anything it balances out the amount of vacuum chamber voting that occurs on sequels (which is already rampant on most shows). By the same token, people can create new accounts and give the show a 10 to inflate the score. That honestly seems even more likely when you're at season 5 and most of the people still watching are die hard fans. My guess is that chews into that .5% by a good amount, so were likely looking at significantly less than 0.036 score impact. How, then, do we tell which users are breaking the rules in that way? Do you want the 10's removed? Obviously many of the 10's are heartfelt, but many are also probably overrating the show to inflate the score to what they want (just as some users might be lowering their 5/10 to a 1/10 to influence the score).

The score has gradually decreased over the last few weeks, and it's entirely possible some people might have been on the fence about date a live for a while now and that something the last few weeks rubbed them the wrong way. Most people also don't use the forums. Personally, most shows I dislike, I don't even say anything and just move on. Also worth pointing out, some types of shows organically receive more hate than others and rub people wrong more than others.

Point is, there's no way we can prove the 1s or 10s are or aren't genuine, and the impact in this case of any review bombing seems negligible, at least on the surface.
May 14, 4:50 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to turtleinshell
@SpiderMiles3523 Yuru Camp and Date A Live are sequels that have a fairly similar distribution, number of viewers, etc. (Yuru also has more forum posts). 0.5% versus 1.0% hardly seems like mass review bombing to me. The biggest effect that might have on the score, which would be if we say the score would otherwise be a 10/10 for the other 99.5% of people, would be reducing the score by .045. That's NOT how much it actually reduced the score, that would be closer to ~.036 given the current score.

There are doubtlessly SOME genuine scores in the 1 category. Arguably, watching this many seasons of a show they dislike or are on the fence about might seem like a waste of their time, but not necessarily a breach of the rules, and if anything it balances out the amount of vacuum chamber voting that occurs on sequels (which is already rampant on most shows). By the same token, people can create new accounts and give the show a 10 to inflate the score. That honestly seems even more likely when you're at season 5 and most of the people still watching are die hard fans. My guess is that chews into that .5% by a good amount, so were likely looking at significantly less than 0.036 score impact. How, then, do we tell which users are breaking the rules in that way? Do you want the 10's removed? Obviously many of the 10's are heartfelt, but many are also probably overrating the show to inflate the score to what they want (just as some users might be lowering their 5/10 to a 1/10 to influence the score).

The score has gradually decreased over the last few weeks, and it's entirely possible some people might have been on the fence about date a live for a while now and that something the last few weeks rubbed them the wrong way. Most people also don't use the forums. Personally, most shows I dislike, I don't even say anything and just move on. Also worth pointing out, some types of shows organically receive more hate than others and rub people wrong more than others.

Point is, there's no way we can prove the 1s or 10s are or aren't genuine, and the impact in this case of any review bombing seems negligible, at least on the surface.
@turtleinshell did you listen to a word I say. We have had several instances where randos pop up and started and harassing the fans and series without seeing it. I have yet to see a single person still watching and disliking it. We already had to remove a review and get a guy that started name calling on the threads removed. This isn't some sequel bias bs. It is straight up trolling and against site policies. You can say demon slayer, my hero academia, mushoku tensei face similiar issues but those critics are clearly watching the show or familiar with the source.

do the research yourselves. Majority of the high scores, people actually watched the show and seen previous seasons. All the reviews are positive.

Almost all the low scores are from people who didn't watched any of the prior ones.
May 14, 4:53 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Luvaga
Can't help it. We got ourself a lot of DAL haters
@Luvaga all shows have haters but dal haters don't even watch the show vs mha, demon slayer, mushoku tensei haters. I have yet to hear one bad thing about this season. Which is ironic since dal had fewer episodes spread over a long period of time.

It is almost always "who tf is watching this show" , "trashy harem".

Meanwhile yapfest tensura season3 has almost full negative review bar but any criticism is met with "shonent@rd, go watch dragon ball and jjk".
May 15, 1:53 AM
Oct 2021
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@Luvaga all shows have haters but dal haters don't even watch the show vs mha, demon slayer, mushoku tensei haters. I have yet to hear one bad thing about this season. Which is ironic since dal had fewer episodes spread over a long period of time.

It is almost always "who tf is watching this show" , "trashy harem".

Meanwhile yapfest tensura season3 has almost full negative review bar but any criticism is met with "shonent@rd, go watch dragon ball and jjk".
@SpiderMiles3523 for a hardcore watchers like me. I don't have anything to hate, even tensura and mushoku still good for me. Don't get me wrong, i am more hardcore towards DAL and Re:Zero than other animes ever.
But in reality we got to admit, 8.xx score are the best DAL had ever reached.
And we should be grateful for that. This season still have many episodes left, let us pray and support DAL until ends
May 15, 5:40 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to FutoiOtaku
@FutoiOtaku

the 2nd part of date a live (from volume 16 to 22) is clearly for an adult audience: the themes of child abuse, drugs, mourning, morality on self-acceptance, depression and especially Kabbalah and all the mystical and religious references require a lot of cultural background, to understand which is what the author really wanted to show.

The date a live audience is very old: the vast majority are in the age group of 18 to 28 and are workers... I also notice it in the merchandising, because the products, although at high prices, are sell without problem.

But... the real problem here is that dal's fans simply haven't rated dal V on myanimelist, there are almost 90K, only 8% have rated the season... there are even more fans on social networks but who don't come here.

The problem is not the bad ratings, but simply the fact that the date a live community is not invested in myanimelist and other rating sites.
May 15, 5:49 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Luvaga
@SpiderMiles3523 for a hardcore watchers like me. I don't have anything to hate, even tensura and mushoku still good for me. Don't get me wrong, i am more hardcore towards DAL and Re:Zero than other animes ever.
But in reality we got to admit, 8.xx score are the best DAL had ever reached.
And we should be grateful for that. This season still have many episodes left, let us pray and support DAL until ends
@Luvaga not to dunk on re zero. Bit re zero season 2 only ranked 2nd place for 1st part on corner and 3rd place for 2nd part on corner. It had less competition. Also got criticized for being boring. Still ended up with a score of 8.4

Meanwhile dal iv ranked 2nd on corner beating spy x family and nearly win aots. Since it has a smaller viewership than its competitors. It beaten kaguya s3 many times on those polls. Kaguys s3 has like a score of 9 while dal iv has a score of like 7.8.

I don't see how re zero has a low score.
May 15, 5:50 AM
Nov 2023
benjic665 said:
@FutoiOtaku

the 2nd part of date a live (from volume 16 to 22) is clearly for an adult audience: the themes of child abuse, drugs, mourning, morality on self-acceptance, depression and especially Kabbalah and all the mystical and religious references require a lot of cultural background, to understand which is what the author really wanted to show.

The date a live audience is very old: the vast majority are in the age group of 18 to 28 and are workers... I also notice it in the merchandising, because the products, although at high prices, are sell without problem.

But... the real problem here is that dal's fans simply haven't rated dal V on myanimelist, there are almost 90K, only 8% have rated the season... there are even more fans on social networks but who don't come here.

The problem is not the bad ratings, but simply the fact that the date a live community is not invested in myanimelist and other rating sites.

I see your point of view, but even the adult themes are handled in a teen friendly manner. Again, like Harry Potter, it’s written for teens but appeals to all ages. I love it like I said many times, and I’m 50+. Also the whole point I’ve been trying to get across is that MAL is a toxic platform and not worth trying to affect or influence. If you like a show just show your appreciation by buying merch or blurays. The studios, writers and producers don’t even care about us westerners on MAL anyhow, we are NOT the target audience.
May 15, 6:52 AM

Oct 2019
Don't worry about it, mal has several systems to counter this, if the shows stays as good as it is until the end, it will get a MASSIVE boost in score once it ends.

trust me on that, complaining like this only makes it worse, but if you sit tight and ignore it for now, you'll be surprised how drastically the score can change when it comes to cases like this once the season finishes airing.

And besides, the "review bombing" isn't even that bad. you want to see something that is WAY lower that it should be because half the people watched without watching the earlier seeasons?

Look at the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya, it literally has the single most positive review distribution relative to it's popularity in this entire website, and somehow it's not even top 50.

Why? well once you realize more people have completed it than season 2, it will start to make sense.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 15, 3:37 PM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules: 2.e Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:
e. MAL community data
e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.
Concerns about the website should be reported using the appropriate buttons or designated MyAnimeList boards.

You may also use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime. MAL has implemented a new system to take care of boosting/downvoting accounts automatically. You can read more about it here. You do not have to worry about the score being influenced by them. If it is influenced, it will be fixed after a few days.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Imagine watching this subtitled, lol ( 1 2 )

Yui_Suzumiya69 - May 23

67 by Saimatsu_Fan »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22

50 by Asvados »»
Yesterday, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15

116 by Asvados »»
Yesterday, 2:40 AM

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8

88 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
May 25, 7:00 PM

» Is this gonna be the final season? ( 1 2 )

keithgriff - May 19

50 by benjic665 »»
May 24, 9:48 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.