Forum Settings
Forums

Why there is no polyamory/non-monogamy in yaoi/yuri?

New
May 3, 12:17 AM

Aug 2021
It's little weird that most couples in yaoi/yuri practice monogamy as their ideal form of relationship. Not too sound bad, most gay couples in real life are not bound to follow traditional expectations of marriage such as monogamy and child rearing. Since those couples don't typically follow traditional expectations, they are likely customize their relationship in anyway they're comfortable. Especially gay couples that have bisexual people/gay males are much more likely to practice non-monogamous relationships since they might need to explore their sexuality but in yaoi/yuri, there is no polyamory being practiced by the characters despite being extremely common in real life

Think for a second, shouldn't three members of opposite gender engaging in polyamory be hotter than two guys/girls in a monogamous relationship? If this logic was correct, we should get more polyamory yaoi/yuri.
May 3, 12:18 AM

Feb 2020
Polyamory would definitely make certain shows more interesting.
May 3, 12:20 AM
Dec 2021
You’re right. I never noticed but it certainly seems like an unexplored niche.

May 3, 12:41 AM

Mar 2008
I would like to see polyamory done, sure. But it doesnt have to be all same sex necessarily.
May 3, 12:44 AM

Dec 2021
...nah. I couldn't explain why, but something about polyamory just gives me the heebie jeebies. I already had a hard enough time shoving those heebie jeebies to the side just so I could watch Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 3, 1:04 AM

Oct 2022
It exists, but only in manga from what I've seen. If yaoi and yuri were more mainstream you would probably see more harem stuff, but as it stands right now that isn't the case. As for polyamorist relationships being "hotter" and therefore more popular that may be the case for an ecchi manga/anime but most people don't really care for the sexual aspects of a romance story. Just look at all of the wholesome stuff out there.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
May 3, 1:48 AM

Feb 2021
Because BL works tend to be pure and one pair through the lives of the pair.
May 3, 2:19 AM

Feb 2024
Polyamory may not alight well with yuri because the genre thrives on the gentle nature of girls love, and the development of such relationships is key for a show to be successful.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 3, 2:33 AM

Nov 2021
Because they want to keep those types of shows as unrealistic and fantasy-based as possible. Same reason there isn't rampant drug use and a lot of domestic violence like in real life.
Taiga best girl forever.
May 3, 2:46 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to Daviljoe193
...nah. I couldn't explain why, but something about polyamory just gives me the heebie jeebies. I already had a hard enough time shoving those heebie jeebies to the side just so I could watch Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo.
@Daviljoe193 I see where you coming from but 100 girlfriends it's a parody of harem so if it don't take itself seriously his audience too don't have too.
May 3, 2:46 AM

Jan 2008
Not much anime of it but I think there's a decent amount of manga that fits, especially adult ones or doujins. It defintely isn't the most common though and can get into weird fetish territory.
May 3, 2:53 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Otakupervert890
@Daviljoe193 I see where you coming from but 100 girlfriends it's a parody of harem so if it don't take itself seriously his audience too don't have too.
@Otakupervert890
I found it oddly wholesome and sincere despite bring a parody.
May 3, 3:07 AM

Jul 2017
I do know a couple yuri light novels that have the main character be in relationships with two women with full consent and knowledge present, just depends on if they get adaptations or not at some point in the future.
May 3, 3:13 AM

Aug 2021
Ojousama wa Love Comedy no Shujinkou ni Naritai! - Yuri harem non-monogamy

About BL, I think there are several, I just don't know the names.

May 3, 3:32 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Subarctic-Forest
Because they want to keep those types of shows as unrealistic and fantasy-based as possible. Same reason there isn't rampant drug use and a lot of domestic violence like in real life.
@Subarctic-Forest, not always, you are wrong here.
May 3, 6:08 AM

Sep 2016
Gladly this gem exists: https://myanimelist.net/anime/54722/Mahou_Shoujo_ni_Akogarete
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 3, 7:46 AM

Oct 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to Japan's more conservative culture not really catching up to the idea being as well known. Even then it isn't even that common in Western media either despite polyamory becoming more accepted in the West. There's almost definitely some polyamorous queer manga out there but it's definitely a lot more difficult to find them in an explicit romantic sense. You'd probably have a much easier time finding queer manga with open relationships (sort of friends with benefits thing) rather than explicit polyamory.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 3, 7:57 AM

Jan 2021
You are right that it doesn't make sense, I don't follow the genre so this is my perspective from outside looking in:

authors don't know much about these types of relationships and they are just bsing
May 3, 7:58 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to Japan's more conservative culture not really catching up to the idea being as well known. Even then it isn't even that common in Western media either despite polyamory becoming more accepted in the West. There's almost definitely some polyamorous queer manga out there but it's definitely a lot more difficult to find them in an explicit romantic sense. You'd probably have a much easier time finding queer manga with open relationships (sort of friends with benefits thing) rather than explicit polyamory.
@LSSJ_Gaming, indeed, you are right. Personally I like healthy relationships in BL works, when I read such works I receive positive emotions and it is the most important.
May 3, 8:39 AM

Aug 2017
As a poly person, I want to see a BL like that.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 3, 9:17 AM

May 2020
First of all, I don't watch BL/GL so I have no idea, but let's try to think about it.

Second of all, anime is fiction, yes, there is this idea that art imitates life, obviously reality is an inspiration for anime, but I think the argument "homosexuals irl don't practice monogamy so why should they in anime" is irrelevant. All that matters is the intended experience, does it serve the goals of the show?

Ok so here's what I think. Harems/polygamy is kind of a niche genre, it's not automatically a more is better situation. I am viewing this more from a hetero perspective but fundamentally I don't think there's that much of a difference between a gay harem and a regular harem etc.

In eroge there is a similar question, is it better to have 1 heroine or a party of heroines? On the upside, more heroines means more variety, you can have like a muscle girl, a goth loli, a monster girl and a big titty onee-san all in one, the pool of available scenarios is also larger (in theory) by letting the girls play off each others character. However, Eroge are made on a budget, maybe there's only 50 CGI for the whole game, that means only 12 per character or alternatively 1 or 2 of the characters get shafted to let the rest get more development. What happens when you get really into the muscle girl character only to find out she was one of the characters that got shafted? What happens when you hate lolis and you are forced to interact with her when you would rather just talk to the muscle girl. What if you actually like all the characters but you finish the game and you are kind of like "well shit, that game was wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle, I barely got to know these girls"?

So I think it should be evident there is no right answer here, whatever you choose you are taking a risk. In my opinion, 1 on 1 relationships are the best because you get to spend more time with the characters you like (or conversely, you can quickly identify that you hate the characters and peace out), you get to deepen the bond more.

The other major concern is the dynamic differences between 1 on 1 and polyamory. One way or another you have to think about what everyone involved thinks about everyone else, it's a more complicated relationship which may be incompatible with the story the author wants to tell, e.g. let's say they want to do the whole slow burn "first love" type deal, well I guess you can still do it with 3 or more people but it won't be the same.

So yeah, I guess my main point is, I think the authors of these stories know very well polyamory is an option, it's just not an option they are interested in.
May 3, 9:27 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Nurguburu
As a poly person, I want to see a BL like that.
@Nurguburu, I am too, it would be great!
May 3, 12:31 PM

Nov 2019
Why there is no polyamory/non-monogamy in yaoi/yuri?

Dont make it a thing.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.

More topics from this board

» what kind of fashion

arhttr - May 13

14 by DesuMaiden »»
55 seconds ago

» Gurren Lagann & KlK creator said "Fanservice in anime is necessary, else humanity will disappear"

Dije - 5 hours ago

29 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» Are newcomer edgy anime fans not edgelords but actually normies?

LenRea - Yesterday

35 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9102 by appledude1221 »»
12 minutes ago

» name a non-anime you think is better than 80% of anime

Kenzolo-folk - 1 hour ago

21 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.