Forum Settings
Forums

On a scale of 1 to 10 how importent are graphics to you in a AAA game

New
How importent?
Mar 8, 8:54 PM
Feb 2024
1 being not at all and 10 being the only thing that matters.
TheSuaveAltMar 10, 6:35 AM
Mar 8, 9:35 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not really into AAA gaming myself, but I guess if I were to rank them I would say I'd fall somewhere in the middle. Since they have the budget I would expect great visuals from them, but at the same time I think the game play is more important.
Mar 9, 2:56 PM

Jun 2022
7, I don't play many AAA games tbh(I'm broke asf and enjoy indies more). When I do buy one I don't want it to look like total ass, but its not the most important thing either.
"𝐼 π“π‘œπ“‹π‘’π“­ 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π“…π“‡π‘’π“‰π“‰π“Ž π“π‘œπ‘œπ“€ 𝒾𝓃 π“Žπ‘œπ“Š'𝓇𝑒 π‘’π“Žπ‘’π“ˆ π“Œπ’½π‘’π“ƒ 𝐼 π’½π“Šπ“‡π“‰ π“Žπ‘œπ“Š"

✩ [TATTOO ARI -Number Girl] ✩
0:00 〇────── 3:26
β†Ί |◁ II β–·| β™‘

Mar 9, 10:49 PM

Oct 2018
6 - Graphics matter in titles like this, but they are not the most important thing. Gameplay is always #1, and Elden Ring proved that art direction matters more than raw graphical fidelity.
Mar 10, 1:23 AM

Jan 2008
If talking AAA only, then 4, for less than neutral. We're at the point where amazing graphics have become the norm for a AAA games, especially with all Unreal 5 games looking like the same thing. If any AAA game puts a lot of emphasis on their graphics being a selling points, that's a red flag in my book. I don't care how detailed the grass or rocks are. Having amazing graphics is cool for cinematic purposes but that's about it these days.
Mar 10, 1:24 AM

Aug 2020

And I know that a lot of people say graphics dont matter, gameplay is king but there are just so many examples like reviews and people's opinions that say otherwise. And if I were to think about it, it feels like graphics may as well be a 9 in your scale if we are talking about the vast majority.
Keep scrolling
Mar 10, 6:31 AM

Apr 2012
I don't get why this "AAA" term even exists, the size of the publisher of a game is utterly unimportant. The quality of a game is based on the same properties whether it's by a solo developer or the most expensive game ever.

In any case, it depends enormously. Some games are primarily about their visual appeal, other games it's utterly unimportant
Mar 11, 12:12 PM

Oct 2013
Graphics are important to me, but overall fun matters more. A kinda clunky/janky feeling game that's not all that polished looking can still be fun. Gungrave Gore for example, when it finally came out, didn't look or feel as good as it could have after such a long wait, but I still had fun with it. On the other hand, if Spider-man 2 hadn't looked quite as good as it does (lets pretend price isn't a factor) I probably could have still enjoyed it so long as the gameplay was solid. So I'd honestly probably put its importance to me around a 6 or 7.

With price being a factor though, it's at least probably an 8. I feel better paying a higher price if it looks better.
FanofActionMar 11, 12:16 PM
Mar 13, 9:51 AM

Oct 2022
Back when console generations actually meant some graphical improvement that was evident to the eyes, it was kind of a big deal. I recently got a Dreamcast and am also playing a lot of Gran Turismo 2 on my PSX, so I imagine every kid that played old PSX consoles and then watch some next generation games must felt (I probably did) like it was living on the Stone Age. I still remember begin amazed because the characters in my GameCube had actual fingers.

Now, the problem is that with recent generations the technological jump is more on other aspects (physics, lighting, loading times, etc) so it is less evident. We also got a big jump on development costs, probably related to people/services that actually doesn’t matter so the games are starting to feel a lot of more smaller, and less and less teams are taking risks, so everything feels the same.

So now that we have kind of a “standard” on graphical capabilities, we are now missing the actual gameplay, the stuff that difference gaming from just a movie. And becuase of the graphical aspect of a game is starting to matter less, but still relevant, specially for newer games (tho a good art direction can fix anything)
Mar 13, 1:16 PM

Nov 2019
9 and i think it is the most important thing about a game
Mar 14, 8:24 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Kind of a tricky question to answer definitively, but I guess I'd say like 7 or 8. It's not the most important thing, but it definitely does matter, and can enhance an experience in some cases.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Mar 17, 7:13 PM
Mar 2017
0/10, to me gameplay matters. Or themes/level design. Character movesets. Graphics never mattered to me and hasn't for years. Artstyles/themes/level design benefits of them for sure yes or HUD/UI but otherwise nah. They can be anything and I don't care how shiny, how wet, how realistic how bland they look/grounded. Graphics pass.

The lack of dynamic situations (2 or more different situations that just play out no dialogue aka Infamous or Spec Ops The Line had them whether you reacted or not gameplay wise), cough Rift Apart rifts or a gadget then the yellow rifts being eh, we had a Portal gun and better Ratchet use cases on PS3 on a HDD.

Eh animations over time. So much long games with eh formuliac content, pass. I want quality not quantity. Tell me when a game whether sci-fi or fantasy has an enemy with moves they forget or learn from themselves, the player or other enemies. That's impressive enemy AI right there.

Makes adaptive difficulty mean something too if they wanted to.

Animations more realistic (not all but one at least) on analogue sticks. I like motion controls if done right but it doesn't mean I don't want to see other possibilities tried. Then the same formulaic ones we see all the time.

So you can tell with PS4/Xbox One the push of some third party IPs I never had interested in made AAA so skip worthy for me and playing the ones left behind on PS3/360 has been worth it hasn't it.

AAA/AAAA means nothing if I don't see it in quality, but eh gameplay ideas and eh formuliac garbage content, quality of life that's passable or just a reskin/theme change that isn't exciting in the slighest, I don't expect my possibilities I've wanted to see attempted. Just 1 game doing any of them is fine by me but still.

I go retro or 'particular Indies/AA' but most times it's retro then current gen. By retro I mean left behind games not the top ones I know about that aren't exciting. I know about them, I don't want to experience them I want to games ideas left behind to see what could be fresh/still is or what started it. Killswitch for cover based shooters before Uncharted or Gears as well they got the inspiration somewhere.

Or Alfa Romeo Racing Italiano were worth it (rewind systems in racing games dumbed down since Grid 2008/Forza Motorsport 3 yet the one make you'd think shovelware isn't and had better systems when it came out in 2006, Codemasters are good but like come on dumbing down a system still more depth to it years ago and still dumbed down years later by any racing games with a rewind system, what idiots the industry is of we want RPG systems but can't even offer what was offered before in one area, what a joke).

Either way odd puzzle games, odd others in other genres, usually shooters/platformers/racing, hack n slashes. Some good and fresh, others just their own little details. It's been fun, more than AAA repetition and quality of life have or theme changes.

First party for certain platforms too. The killing of studios and the ones making games I don't care for, skipping those as well. Some games changes have annoyed me with certain series so I have changed my mind on those as well, nostalgia here.

Indies eh, even their nostalgic inspirations and safeness has me so disappointed then the Indies that ACTUALLY TRY harder. Platformer/racing suck Indie or AAA while survival it's half and half, puzzle it's great. Hack n slashes half and half.

Still waiting for a Wii U successor. Dreamcast, GBA and GameCube to Wii U and whenever we get better hardware or programming for dual app/game instances. Series X sure with quick resume but I mean further than that. App/manual/games. Virtual Desktop level idea on console. Sigh. Still waiting on a lot of things these days.
Mar 22, 5:21 AM

Nov 2017
if I play an AAA game then I want modern graphics and a loooot of qol options. Of course, on the other side, I don't expect anything in terms of scenario and writing. But as I'm more appealed by plot-driven works I don't play AAA that often (last one I played was Spiderman 2, which was like, one of the best games I played in terms of pacing, if not the best. But also had some of the worst written characters I've seen in a while xD And the scenario was pretty bad too)
Mar 22, 5:30 AM

Nov 2019
I don't play Triple A games, but if the gameplay is terrible, I'll drop the game right away, regardless of how great the graphics are.
Mar 24, 3:43 AM

Jun 2017
1. I don't have a PC needed for like the top 20 AAA games so my settings are usually on low just to get the best performance. Especially for AAA the only thing that matters is gameplay.
Mar 28, 5:55 PM

Aug 2013
In Helldivers II I love how the bugs explode with a massive bomb drop. The blastzone effect after dropping a nuke is simply... suburashi/*chefs kiss* I have always been a graphics whore. Yeah I know of course the gameplay is the most important thing in a game. The story & characters are pretty important aswell, but graphics is the real sexyness that attracts me in the first place.

I can't wait to play more games made in unreal engine 5, they look amazing!
When will Black Clover release new anime?! It has been 3 years already since March 2021...
Mar 28, 6:21 PM

Mar 2024
I'll take the early PC-2000s style of -graphics/aesthetics/gore/gameplay- instead of any AAA modern graphics in the recent 10-15 years or so, which I find unappealing, too perfect and generic looking.

Mar 29, 1:53 PM

Jul 2013
I don't think graphics are very important.
Mar 30, 5:41 AM

Jul 2021
Graphics is love, graphics is life.

More topics from this board

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3722 by poutingcrusader »»
22 minutes ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

14 by JaniSIr »»
6 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3513 by Tamamolicki »»
Yesterday, 9:51 PM

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

50 by Strahan »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 12:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.