Forums
New
Feb 25, 5:13 AM
Mar 2023
can anyone please explain the fate series order
Feb 25, 5:26 AM

Jan 2017
Mugiwarayaa___ said:
is it necessary to watch fate stay/night 2006 ?

Yes and no. The Fate franchise is a complete multi-verse, with each Anime taking place in its own continuity. So nothing is "necessary", but some are built up on another ones. If you only want to watch Fate/Zero, then you can ignore everything else, and watch it.

However, if you wanna go for the whole franchise, avoid starting with Fate/Zero, as it contains massive spoilers for the rest of the main story. As for the 2006 Anime, it's the most easily skippable part of the main story, but i always recommend to stick with it, as it's the only entry doing the thing it is doing.

Mugiwarayaa___ said:

Sure; the 2006 Anime, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel are the 3 parts of the main story. They are "Routes" (ie. They starts the same, uses the same characters, but ends up being completely different story. It's as if the timeline was reset each Anime, and the protagonist makes different choices, impacting everything.) They are created to be watched in this very strict order, as each one is built on the revelations of the previous one.
Then, there is Fate/Zero, which is a massive flashback about all the truths we learnt about in the 3 stories. Therefore, it contains spoilers for almost everything, and was created to be experienced after knowing of all these. The rest of the franchise is indirect Spin-Off and parodies.

If you need the whole list :

Edit : I added more explanations to be clear.
Alexioos95Feb 25, 5:40 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 25, 5:42 AM
Nov 2022
What I personally did was watch Ufotable's UBW, then heaven's feel and then I watched the 2006 Fate route and finally Zero. There are like 1-2 episodes in the 2006 adaptation that are filler and total crap and you should skip them as to not spoil your watching experience, otherwise it is actually quite good. I liked the vibe the older character designs give.
Feb 25, 6:35 AM
Mar 2023
Reply to Alexioos95
Mugiwarayaa___ said:

Yes and no. The Fate franchise is a complete multi-verse, with each Anime taking place in its own continuity. So nothing is "necessary", but some are built up on another ones. If you only want to watch Fate/Zero, then you can ignore everything else, and watch it.

However, if you wanna go for the whole franchise, avoid starting with Fate/Zero, as it contains massive spoilers for the rest of the main story. As for the 2006 Anime, it's the most easily skippable part of the main story, but i always recommend to stick with it, as it's the only entry doing the thing it is doing.

Mugiwarayaa___ said:

Sure; the 2006 Anime, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel are the 3 parts of the main story. They are "Routes" (ie. They starts the same, uses the same characters, but ends up being completely different story. It's as if the timeline was reset each Anime, and the protagonist makes different choices, impacting everything.) They are created to be watched in this very strict order, as each one is built on the revelations of the previous one.
Then, there is Fate/Zero, which is a massive flashback about all the truths we learnt about in the 3 stories. Therefore, it contains spoilers for almost everything, and was created to be experienced after knowing of all these. The rest of the franchise is indirect Spin-Off and parodies.

@Alexioos95 Bro thank you so much
Feb 25, 6:47 AM
Feb 2022
yes watch it all iz is more intristing then skiping it
Feb 25, 9:09 AM
Jul 2023
Either read the visual novel first or start with Ufotable’s UBW
Only watch fate zero AFTER that
Feb 25, 9:28 AM

Aug 2020
Watching 2006 is more necessary than watching zero. The proper anime order is just 2006 -> UBW 2015 -> HF movie trilogy. Zero is a spinoff just like everything else that came post-FSN and is meant to be (optionally) watched after you've consumed the original story, which consists of the aforementioned 3 routes, only if you want to watch more fate stuff.
Feb 25, 9:29 AM
Mar 2022
Nah. Watch unlimited blade works, heavens feel movies, then zero (prequel). 2006 is another route like UBW and HF but it’s kinda bad imo.
Anything else is just whatever you feel like. Some people say Lord El Melloi or whatever is a part of this “main storyline” but I’ve never checked it out
Feb 25, 9:34 AM

Jan 2017
swamp881 said:
Some people say Lord El Melloi or whatever is a part of this “main storyline” but I’ve never checked it out

It's said to be part of the Main Story because it's about Waver (from Fate/Zero) as an adult, 2 months before the Holy Grail War of Fate/Stay Night.
The story itself and its themes are very different from the rest of the franchise, and has nothing to do with it, directly at least. It's more akin to an expansion of the Nasuverse than one of the Fate franchise.

And actually, Fate/Zero is not even part of the Main Story (Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel, and at most also Fate/Hollow Ataraxia), it just became a common assumption in the fandom because of how well liked it is. If Fate/Zero is not, there is absolutely no reason for Lord El Melloi II to be.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 25, 9:38 AM

May 2015
I didn't watch 2006 and started with Zero and I had a hard time getting into it because Zero expects you to know certain characters from 2006 and to have a connection to them, especially Saber. I did not feel like the characters were introduced naturally watching Zero and the important events at the end of Zero don't hit as much when you don't know what happens as a consequence (I hope this makes sense lol). UBW and Zero don't work without 2006 even though it may be disappointing
_ExonFeb 25, 1:02 PM
Feb 25, 10:49 AM
Jul 2020
Alexioos95 said:
Mugiwarayaa___ said:

Mugiwarayaa___ said:

Quoting for myself, fate list

Feb 25, 11:35 AM

Jan 2017
_Exon said:
UBW doesn't work without Zero and Zero doesn't work without 2006 even though it may be disappointing

Why do you think UBW doesn't work without Zero ?

That Route is entirely built-up on the Fate Route (the 2006 Anime), and nothing more.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 25, 12:19 PM

May 2015
Alexioos95 said:
_Exon said:
UBW doesn't work without Zero and Zero doesn't work without 2006 even though it may be disappointing

Why do you think UBW doesn't work without Zero ?

That Route is entirely built-up on the Fate Route (the 2006 Anime), and nothing more.

Ufotable relies on you knowing Zero before watching UBW mostly for minor aspects e.g. what happened at the fourth holy grail war, the dynamic between Rin and Sakura, Gilgamesh's appearance and power, and Illya's backstory. But if I didn't knew about them I would have been confused and taken out of my immersion.

I don't know how much is explained/shown in 2006 to get a better understanding of some events in UBW (or what was added to/left out of UBW because Zero was made beforehand) so I guess you can skip Zero, I can only say that having watched Zero before UBW helped a lot.
Feb 25, 12:29 PM

Jan 2017
_Exon said:
Ufotable relies on you knowing Zero before watching UBW mostly for minor aspects e.g. what happened at the fourth holy grail war, the dynamic between Rin and Sakura, Gilgamesh's appearance and power, and Illya's backstory.

That's actually not true.

_Exon said:
But if I didn't knew about them I would have been confused and taken out of my immersion.

That's understandable. However, the Fate Series is mainly a slow-burn mystery story. You are supposed to be confused, that's the style of the story, and even the style of the Author; that's how all his works are. These interactions doesn't always makes much sense, because you don't have all the pieces of puzzle, that you have to assemble yourself through the 3 Routes. All Zero did, was drop them to you before they were supposed to be revealed.
Alexioos95Feb 25, 12:33 PM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 25, 12:44 PM

Jan 2024
Just do yourself a favor and buy the VN once it officially releases in West (very soon).
Feb 25, 1:01 PM

May 2015
Alexioos95 said:
_Exon said:
Ufotable relies on you knowing Zero before watching UBW mostly for minor aspects e.g. what happened at the fourth holy grail war, the dynamic between Rin and Sakura, Gilgamesh's appearance and power, and Illya's backstory.

That's actually not true.

_Exon said:
But if I didn't knew about them I would have been confused and taken out of my immersion.

That's understandable. However, the Fate Series is mainly a slow-burn mystery story. You are supposed to be confused, that's the style of the story, and even the style of the Author; that's how all his works are. These interactions doesn't always makes much sense, because you don't have all the pieces of puzzle, that you have to assemble yourself through the 3 Routes. All Zero did, was drop them to you before they were supposed to be revealed.

I wish I knew that before watching Fate. When I (and probably many more) wanted to get into fate, I read some reviews and the overall consensus was to skip the 2006 adaptation. Anyway, I might have to rephrase my statement.

If Fate/Zero is unnecessary to watch, would you still recommend it?
Feb 25, 1:19 PM
Jan 2020
If you are unwilling to read the visual novel, then yes if you want the whole story
Feb 25, 7:21 PM
Jul 2015
Everyone always says to watch Zero last. I think Zero should come first, full stop. The context you get for the world and characters is easily worth the minor spoilers to FSN.

But yeah, watch FSN 2006, even though it's not nearly as good as the Ufotable stuff.
Feb 25, 9:42 PM

Jan 2017
_Exon said:
When I (and probably many more) wanted to get into fate, I read some reviews and the overall consensus was to skip the 2006 adaptation.

Unfortunately, yeah. It doesn't hold a candle to the Ufotable Animes on several points, like the Animation, or even the general directing.
Story-wise, it also damage the puzzle, by revealing, or atleast strongly hinting infos that are not supposed to be there yet, because of its Anime-Original Episodes made to merge the Routes. Shirô also lost a lot of his characterization.

That's why even fans of the Visual Novel recommend to skip it.

But that's an Anime from 2006, with just a fine production. How can it be compared to ones from 2010+, by one of the best studio ever, with colossal production value... ? As for the story, the 2006 Anime definitely reduce the weight of the puzzle, but it's literally in it that it's created. Skipping it is skipping the puzzle in itself, so i believe the damage is necessary. And about Shirô, he loses a lot of characterization in the other entries too, but he's made less irritating by removing more dialogues, so it's not really a good point for Ufotable either.

That's the problem with the Fate Series in Anime, the 2006 Anime is controversial even for the long time fans, when it's the mandatory start. That's also what motives the "Read the Visual Novel" recommendation.

_Exon said:
If Fate/Zero is unnecessary to watch, would you still recommend it?

Yeah, but for what is it: A fan-service-ish bonus material; not a replacement for the actual story.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 25, 9:47 PM

Jan 2024
I prefer Deen Fate over Zero tbh. Deen Fate has a godly ost and atmosphere and handled the characters better. Nothing in Zero comes close to Archer vs Hercules for example. Zero is quite soulless to me and handled Saber terribly.
Feb 25, 9:52 PM
Jun 2021
Mugiwarayaa___ said:

Fate/Zero is a prequel to all 3 routes of fate/stay night (with a decent amount of spoilers for fate/stay night), it is about shirou’s adoptive father kiritsugu. F/sn 2006, F/sn Unlimited Blade Works, and the F/sn Heaven’s feel movie trilogy are the 3 different routes that fate/stay night story could have gone down based on shirou’s choices. Anything else other than these 4 are not considered canon. If you want to watch Fate, i suggest you start with F/SN Unlimited Blade Works, then the Heaven’s Feel movie trilogy, followed by Fate/Zero and then F/SN 2006. But I honestly recommend you just read the visual novel lol. You can find guides to download it online and it is a much better experience as a lot of character development is left out from the anime adaptations. The anime are still great imo (aside from 2006 which i didnt like as much especially compared to the vn) and you would probably still enjoy them.
Feb 25, 10:01 PM

Jan 2024
@DameFather Zero is as canon as Fate Kaleid if we have to be honest here. Both Fate Zero and Fate Kaleid are spinoffs that came 3 years later after the VN in 2007. Zero is a light novel while Kaleid is a manga. Zero serves as Gen Urobuchi take on Fate while Kaleid serves as Illya's route. Apocrypha came much later as a light novel in mid 10s and is an alternative take on the entire universe. Fate Grand Order is more canon than the rest as it is an adaptation of the app game arcs which Nasu writes.
Feb 25, 10:54 PM
Oct 2018
don't make the mistake of not watching it... the only bad fate series is the one that's newish called fate ka... where the heroes are like cards or some shit. watched a bunch of ep but it was mehhh
Feb 26, 1:16 AM
Dec 2015
Not particularly. Just watch the stuff Ufotable has made i.e Zero and Unlimited Bladeworks.

If you crave the alternate routes, watch the Heaven's Feel movies and keep 2006 for the end. It's a very basic route that focuses on Saber.
Feb 26, 2:46 AM
Dec 2023
it's quite boring from the rest

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 12, 2012

589 by frieren2024 »»
Yesterday, 4:02 AM

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

13 by Ain2Zwei »»
Apr 15, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 9, 2012

728 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 18, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.