Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2:57 AM

Jul 2021
I may like Bocchi the Rock more if I have not been poison by Over Hype. Seeing this anime getting 9 in Mal and many people praising this anime to high galaxy! I watched it expecting there are something in this anime that differentiate itself to other Cute Girls Doing Cute things genre.

After watching all episode. I say is that it??!

First I am not saying this is a Trash or Bad anime. Its just Overated /Over HYPE!

The story is nothing special (even before watching the final episode I already predicted that Bocchi and her friends will play in a School festival scenario), The characters is generic (aside maybe bocchi) You got the Energetic girl, the emo girl, and the Happy girl.

Sure Bocchi expression is Mememable but that' it. Maybe 1 good joke is when bocchi parody dragon ball and yamcha.

I talked to some fans and ask them why they like bocchi. They said they like it because is MC is relatable.

Then in my defense All isekai anime should be rated highly also because almost all the anime watcher should be relatable to the MC in one way or another!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 7, 3:07 AM

Jan 2021
Tbh, its a good anime but I do agree that its too highly praised. The MC isnt completely relatable but she can be enjoyable to watch. Thats about it.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Feb 7, 3:10 AM

Sep 2016
Bocchi can't be overhyped
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 7, 3:16 AM
Dec 2022
Bocchi The Rock isn't over hyped or overrated. It's just a peak anime that's really good. Chill.
Feb 7, 3:19 AM

Mar 2013
It's decent but it's definitely over-hyped. 😖
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Feb 7, 3:23 AM

Jun 2016
I just accepted that everything on MAL is rated too high for my taste. Now I no longer care.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 7, 3:28 AM
Oct 2021
RjtheGreat14 said:
I may like Bocchi the Rock more if I have not been poison by Over Hype. Seeing this anime getting 9 in Mal and many people praising this anime to high galaxy! I watched it expecting there are something in this anime that differentiate itself to other Cute Girls Doing Cute things genre.

First I am not saying this is a Trash or Bad anime. Its just Overated /Over HYPE!

The story is nothing special (even before watching the final episode I already predicted that Bocchi and her friends will play in a School festival scenario), The characters is generic (aside maybe bocchi) You got the Energetic girl, the emo girl, and the Happy girl.

Sure Bocchi expression is Mememable but that' it. Maybe 1 good joke is when bocchi parody dragon ball and yamcha.

I talked to some fans and ask them why they like bocchi. They said they like it because is MC is relatable.

Then in my defense All isekai anime should be rated highly also because almost all the anime watcher should be relatable to the MC in one way or another!

I don’t think that the Anime is overhyped actually. All good and popular anime that are airing have high MAL ratings. But after it’s finished they lose the score, we will see that with Frieren. 8.80 is a decent and normal score for this series. The MAL score is completely irrelevant anyway. What funny is that you actually criticize a comedy show for the Story damn. Some people find it funny some not. I had a friend that laughed at the bread falling video on YouTube for hours. All tastes are different.
Feb 7, 3:30 AM
Jul 2022
I don't believe that people like bocchi the rock because she's "relatable". She's just a quiet girl that has been overexaggerated. I think people like it due to how it expresses different jokes and ideas and the music is also a banger!!
Feb 7, 3:33 AM
May 2016
It is not overrated. A show is not just about plot, there are other aspects too. Just one example, this was one of the best directing in 2022 and in that aspect, it is obviously not overrated, because as one of the best, it should receive at least a 9.
As for the characters, if you truly think that's all. Like you don't see how layered for example Kita is, then the problem is with you and not with the show.

It is not overrated, it is closest to being underrated and therefore it is not overhyped. It is underrated by you.
Feb 7, 3:37 AM

Jul 2015
It received a lot of appreciation, because it wasn't hyped at all before it came out, but it turned to be peak. A literal black horse of the season.
Also, the infinite meme potential contributed to it heavily.

Feb 7, 3:40 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
It’s best to not allow outside opinions have you believe what you’re about to watch is the best thing ever. Look at the synopsis, genres/themes, and watch what seems interesting to you. Go through it with no expectations and don’t look at the rating. Sometimes you find lower rated things are really good, and higher rated things are bad/unjustifiable. Having watched it as it aired, I think it was amazing. There was no overhype for me, and I praise it as I feel is deserved.
MusashiKarlsefniFeb 7, 3:44 AM
Feb 7, 3:42 AM
Feb 2021
The fact it gets a high rating is nothing to do with hype it is just people's honest opinions of how much they liked it.
The hype is all the stuff you get before and maybe during something is released. After it's finished there is no more hype just opinions
Feb 7, 3:57 AM
Jul 2021
if i could give this a 7.5 i 100% would. I keep bouncing between giving it and 8 or 7 but it ain’t higher than an 8 i’ll tell u that much. People were praising it as a masterpiece when it has quite a few shortcomings imo. Maybe i just can’t see it but i saw it as a slightly above average slice of life music anime.
Feb 7, 4:06 AM

Oct 2014
Chainsaw man is the definition of over hype imo.
It's Morbin' Time!
Feb 7, 4:32 AM

Oct 2022
I mean depends on who you ask right? I thought of it as pretty over praises when it was airing but my opinion on it changes. The whole the best anime stuff just doesn't really have any meaning for me. The reason why it was rated so highly is that the demographic that it trying to appeal to actually really really like it.

If you were to ask me, first of all its production quality is incredible. Music, directing, animation, voice acting, it's the reason why its comedy hit as much as it did (for me at least). Directing alone deserves a 9 imo. Ofc Bocchi is also a big part of it as you said.
And other characters are even if they're not the most unique or whatever, they're still really good character. And no one (not me at least) really care about the plot, that's not even in my consideration. It's slice of life ffs. That's why I put it in high regards. But that's my opinion and you do you things.
Feb 7, 4:41 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to kyo_1
if i could give this a 7.5 i 100% would. I keep bouncing between giving it and 8 or 7 but it ain’t higher than an 8 i’ll tell u that much. People were praising it as a masterpiece when it has quite a few shortcomings imo. Maybe i just can’t see it but i saw it as a slightly above average slice of life music anime.
@kyo_1 This is exactly what I think about bocchi the rock! I also give it aroung 7.5 or 8, But its definitely not a 9 or 10! I may gave it a 9 if the premise is original BUT this kind of CGDCT music anime is kinda saturated now.
Feb 7, 5:26 AM
Nov 2021
I'm not sure if it's over-hyped but I've heard a lot of people talk about it. I personally think it's pretty charming and funny.
Feb 7, 5:48 AM
May 2023
You big tripping. Bocchi is goated
Feb 7, 6:03 AM
Sep 2020
I totally agree, series like death note, the promised neverland, summertime rendering and many more definitely deserve to be higher than bocchi the rock
Feb 7, 6:29 AM
Oct 2018
I personally loved it, expecially for all the musical accuracy. her guitar and pedals and amp all sound just as they would because they used all the real world parts. and even animated them correctly

inspired me to pick up a guitar just like hers
Feb 7, 6:29 AM
Jun 2020
If that was a action shonen or shueisha show, I would agree. Liking something so much isn't poison unless people attacks those who don't like it. I don't see this with Bocchi the Rock! at least (no one is attacking you for dislike the show here, for example).
Polvo_AranhaFeb 7, 6:36 AM
Feb 7, 7:14 AM
Feb 2021
RjtheGreat14 said:

it's ur preference....!!! if it has a 9 rated doesn't mean it's overrated, poison by your standards…?

then I should make posts in FMAB , HunterxHunter as "poisoned by overrated toxics" as per my preference

respect others opinion instead of making cringey threads like this to get some clout....
Feb 7, 7:21 AM
Aug 2021
RjtheGreat14 said:

that's the fruit of overhyping
hype aot,monster,berserk or anything, people will come dissatisfied
bocchi would have gotten like 8.5 rating
but it was airing in fall 2022,in which chainsaw man was also airing,so people wanted it to surpass chainsaw man for fun
Feb 7, 7:21 AM
Aug 2021
RjtheGreat14 said:

but it was airing in fall 2022,in which chainsaw man was also airing,so people wanted it to surpass chainsaw man for fun
Feb 7, 7:22 AM
Aug 2021
Feb 7, 7:23 AM

May 2018
How dare you dislike something I like. Blasphemy. Now tell me your address so I can spank you. Ok, joke aside. It's ok if you dislike it. It's not for everyone. No worry about it. It just anime.
Feb 7, 7:23 AM
Aug 2021
and if you would have come into this anime expecting nothing like us, you would have enjoyed it a lot more
Feb 7, 7:24 AM
Aug 2021
and if you would have come into this anime expecting nothing like us, you would have enjoyed it a lot more
Feb 7, 7:25 AM
Aug 2021
mal lag made it post many times sorry 😔
Feb 7, 8:45 AM
Jun 2023
For me it was 9/10.
I'm the kind of person who doesn't like anime music(J-Rock or whatever) and often skip openings. But this time I really loved it and big chunk of OST ended up in my playlist.
I also liked this show because it felt like it was made with enthusiasm, like authors had fun making it. Directing and animation were really good. Jokes mostly hit the right spot.
Yes, it's still cute girls doing cute things. And I'm not a fan of this type of shows. But execution is what makes it stand out. Even without good OST it would be solid 8/10 show. Though music is very subjective thing, so I don't know if giving +1 for OST is the right thing to do.
donslockzFeb 7, 8:51 AM
Feb 7, 9:03 AM
Dec 2022
RjtheGreat14 said:

i don't relate to the mc but i gave it a 10/10, i don't need to become a genius to rate it . their are many funny seens than 1(it maby for you) , the direction and creative they put into the anime is what makes it so wonderful. and the story is good, not only bocchy but that base girl was pretty awesome character, and the character's interaction throughout the anime was entertaining. it was enjoyable, and note this all the character's are selfish to some point , their wasn't unnecessary drama , it was a good show and it is a good show. go watch all weakly anime's then you will appreciate just how refreshing it is to actually get a good anime, and just how much even some popular anime's suck at so many things.
Yeshaiah2015yeshFeb 7, 9:07 AM
Feb 7, 9:07 AM
May 2022
LuluThetka said:
I mean depends on who you ask right? I thought of it as pretty over praises when it was airing but my opinion on it changes. The whole the best anime stuff just doesn't really have any meaning for me. The reason why it was rated so highly is that the demographic that it trying to appeal to actually really really like it.

If you were to ask me, first of all its production quality is incredible. Music, directing, animation, voice acting, it's the reason why its comedy hit as much as it did (for me at least). Directing alone deserves a 9 imo. Ofc Bocchi is also a big part of it as you said.
And other characters are even if they're not the most unique or whatever, they're still really good character. And no one (not me at least) really care about the plot, that's not even in my consideration. It's slice of life ffs. That's why I put it in high regards. But that's my opinion and you do you things.

Could not have said it better. Thank you for your post :)
Feb 7, 9:29 AM

Nov 2021
Nah, Bocchi the Rock is a high quality product that people love. The term overhyped isn't real, people just like talking about shows they enjoy.
Feb 7, 10:02 AM
Aug 2021
sweet summer child
Feb 7, 10:14 AM

Aug 2020
Bocchi is a great MC, Kessoku Band album is amazing and I really enjoyed the anime. It's just too much fum. So I rated it 8 at first.
Then people started complaining about over-rating and over-hyping so I changed my mind and rated it 10.
Feb 7, 10:35 AM

Nov 2021
RjtheGreat14 said:

Nochad.
Shit was really fun watch. Easily watched it 2-3 times till now.
Feb 7, 10:51 AM
Jul 2022
Theo1899 said:
I just accepted that everything on MAL is rated too high for my taste. Now I no longer care.

I feel like if it’s a high 7 or 8 it has a high chance to be good but yeah I agree for the most part some really good shows are high up at start and is a sign it’s good but still can be overrated
Feb 7, 10:54 AM
Jul 2022
ktg said:
It is not overrated. A show is not just about plot, there are other aspects too. Just one example, this was one of the best directing in 2022 and in that aspect, it is obviously not overrated, because as one of the best, it should receive at least a 9.
As for the characters, if you truly think that's all. Like you don't see how layered for example Kita is, then the problem is with you and not with the show.

It is not overrated, it is closest to being underrated and therefore it is not overhyped. It is underrated by you.

9 is to high a 8 is better imo I think it’s overrated but deserved without a doubt a really good show but there’s alot of people who over hype its not for everyone and a lot of people won’t like I loved it and did 10/10 but I do believe it’s over hyped and should be toned down a bit since it’s good and deserves attention but people over praise it
Feb 7, 10:57 AM
Oct 2015
RjtheGreat14 said:

The thing about Bocchi the Rock! isn't about how good anime is, it is how good Bocchi is. The character is too relatable to me, I was like that in my childhood, school, hniverdity, and even I have like 50% of Bocchi's introvert side, I literally saw myself. If not Bocchi, that anime would be, like you said, like other CGDCT anime, so Bocchi beingin it, and different situations happening around her made that anime a masterpiece.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 7, 11:02 AM
Sep 2020
I love music anime, and while this one was good I never think about it until someone brings it up. I haven't felt the need to buy merch either, which I usually do with these types of shows
Feb 7, 11:18 AM
Jul 2020
RjtheGreat14 said:

completely agree. it was bigger up for so long and I finally watched it like "is this it?". like the direction was interesting in parts and it wasn't bad, but it's the most 7/10 thing ever. it's a good show, but shouldn't have been as hyped up as it was.
Feb 7, 11:22 AM

Aug 2013
*sighs* why do I keep seeing threads like this? We like what we like. I’ve watched bocchi four times, and I know I’ll watch it a fifth. It’s one of my favorites. My friends are crazy about it too

There’s a reason why it was one of the biggest anime in 2022 (both in Japan and overseas). It focuses on social anxiety, which is something we don’t see a lot in anime. It also has great character development, amazing music and visuals, and lovable characters. Also, the animation techniques used are so creative and unique. It’s a really fun, entertaining, hilarious anime

You don’t like it? That’s fine. It’s not for you
imjayhimeFeb 7, 6:03 PM
Feb 7, 12:08 PM
Apr 2021
Bocchi the rock - the anime is overrated
but
Bocchi - the character is definitely not 🫰
Feb 7, 1:14 PM
Jan 2020
With anime becoming more and more mainstream, nearly everything is going to be either overhyped or totally shitted on. Similar situation when comic book movies and tv series started being popular.

You just have to ignore all the hype and use your own gut judgement to decide whether or not an anime or manga is worth your time.

Just don’t be a part of the group that overhypes every anime they watch. One does not need to declare every good anime they watch as the “greatest of all time”.
Feb 7, 2:18 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
They nerfed Bocchi's bocchis too hard in the anime adaptation. This show doesn't deserve such high ratings.
Feb 7, 3:20 PM

Apr 2020
The only thing I get from this and other similar threads is that way too many people are easily swayed to either like or dislike a show by other people's hype.

Just learn to enjoy or criticize media by your own judgement smh.
Feb 7, 5:10 PM

Oct 2014
I thought it was only a 7/10 after episode 1 but I gave it a 10 by the end. Stick with it, I promise it gets better. If it doesn't, you're just not the target audience.
Feb 7, 6:13 PM
May 2017
DarkLeafNinja said:
Chainsaw man is the definition of over hype imo.

Nah both of them are aight cuz the CSM S1 is just the beginning arc lol
Feb 7, 7:49 PM

May 2021
I'd say yeah, over hyped and pretty boring. I'd rather watch K-On! again.
Feb 7, 8:24 PM
Jul 2022
RjtheGreat14 said:

Bocchi is more overhated than it is overrated. The show deserves a much higher score due to the great characters, comedy, music and attention to detail.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Dec 24, 2022

745 by ItzAloy »»
Apr 27, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Nov 26, 2022

510 by dod_o »»
Apr 25, 12:41 PM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Nov 19, 2022

231 by ninocadeau »»
Apr 24, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Dec 17, 2022

267 by PrimeX »»
Apr 23, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Dec 10, 2022

234 by PrimeX »»
Apr 23, 9:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.