Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 11:25 AM

Jan 2024
Isekai anime is regarded as the bottom of the barrel in terms of anime genres. The plots are boring, the main characters are bland, and most of the time it’s just the writer’s power fantasy or excuse to write a harem. Just now I saw someone else ask what the site’s least favourite genre is, and isekai won by a landslide! But have you seen any good isekais lately? I want to change my opinion on the genre, maybe it’s good after all!
Jan 14, 11:27 AM

Feb 2020
From this season: Isekai de Mofumofu Nadenade suru Tame ni Ganbattemasu. and Saijaku Tamer wa Gomi Hiroi no Tabi wo Hajimemashita.

Surprisingly nice two isekai imo. :3
Jan 14, 11:32 AM

Nov 2011
Kuma kuma kuma bear is a really fun isekai imo.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 14, 11:38 AM

Apr 2012
Most of these haters quickly forget their hatred of isekai when a show has a female protagonist for whatever reason. Especially with a fairly fanservicey real or not harem of other hot women. So for me personally, this is the same superficial trend as grown men despising battle shonens because of their orientation towards teenagers.
Jan 14, 11:48 AM

May 2022
try Twelve kingdoms. I'm watching it rn and it's a really good isekai anime from the 2000's. It doesn't have any of the tropes you mentionned and the mc is one of the coolest female characters i have seen in anime.
Jan 14, 11:59 AM

Feb 2023
You're not referring to What's your least favorite anime genre and why?, right? I see a few mentions of isekai, but it's nowhere near the majority. (isekai is not equal to harem)

I really don't think isekai is that unpopular outside of some circles of people who simply don't want to like it.
VaturnaJan 14, 12:03 PM
Jan 14, 12:03 PM

Nov 2011
Reply to RobertBobert
Most of these haters quickly forget their hatred of isekai when a show has a female protagonist for whatever reason. Especially with a fairly fanservicey real or not harem of other hot women. So for me personally, this is the same superficial trend as grown men despising battle shonens because of their orientation towards teenagers.
@RobertBobert that’s one reason i enjoyed kuma kuma kuma bear so much. There’s no harem or ecchi fanservice bs.
I shall survive using potions is also fun, but I haven’t finished it yet.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Jan 14, 12:05 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to DreamingBeats
@RobertBobert that’s one reason i enjoyed kuma kuma kuma bear so much. There’s no harem or ecchi fanservice bs.
I shall survive using potions is also fun, but I haven’t finished it yet.
@DreamingBeats Well, in that case, maybe your "problem" is with the fanservice and harem, and not with the isekai themselves as such?
Jan 14, 12:07 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Vaturna
You're not referring to What's your least favorite anime genre and why?, right? I see a few mentions of isekai, but it's nowhere near the majority. (isekai is not equal to harem)

I really don't think isekai is that unpopular outside of some circles of people who simply don't want to like it.
@Vaturna I still constantly meet people who claim that most modern anime is mediocre isekai and are very surprised when they see announcements or premieres of interesting non-isekai anime.
Jan 14, 12:10 PM

Apr 2022
There are good isekais, and not all of them are boring and repetitive. Per example, this season you have Sasaki and Peeps which is different of all the isekais I've ever seen or Doctor Elise with the Lamp which it's the perfect option if you like something related with medicine and anime.
Jan 14, 12:10 PM
Apr 2018
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too
Is honestly pretty good
Jan 14, 12:13 PM

Nov 2011
Reply to RobertBobert
@DreamingBeats Well, in that case, maybe your "problem" is with the fanservice and harem, and not with the isekai themselves as such?
@RobertBobert i don’t have a problem with isekai. Somehow i even watched no game no life…which has plenty of fan service.
I guess it depends on the anime and whether the fan service gets in the way of enjoying the series.

Jan 14, 12:16 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to DreamingBeats
@RobertBobert i don’t have a problem with isekai. Somehow i even watched no game no life…which has plenty of fan service.
I guess it depends on the anime and whether the fan service gets in the way of enjoying the series.
@DreamingBeats I just find it unfair when people say "I hate trashy isekai" when at the same time they mean "I hate isekai that don't suit my tastes."
Jan 14, 12:27 PM

Dec 2015
I remember oneday making a long post comment on what I liked in specific isekais/or if there was something unique in them, I don't think I'll find it to quote it below later as I'll post something additionally, although I'll try my best to find it as I spent some time into it. [Can't find it so maybe the thread got deleted]

So going one by one, I don't like going through which is recent which older as anyone can watch something older at any point so gonna write about each title which I enjoyed personally and gonna give feedback what I actually like in them.

No game No life - I think that's actually my first ever seen Isekai aswell as first or second seasonal which I have watched from episode 1 till the end. NGNL is very specific and I think it will have the majority of positives. First is that they implemented the mechanism of Isekai in a special way which isn't even viewed in nowadays videos, they just got e-mailed by the God and challeged to play Chess, by winning they got invited into a world.
Second and top 1 thing which I love in worldbuilding of NGNL is the rules, 10 rules which can't be broken by anykind of force, that the world goes around games and you can solve everything by games, politics, money, economics everything by even a mere game of rock paper scissors or flip coin, great idea and so far I haven't seen any other title trying to copy that.
Art style is unique till today and vibrant which fits NGNL and I don't think other titles would benefit from it. Music is great, duh even League of Legends used it once for their Worlds trailer or gameplay trailer whatever, yeah for real -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAJ5GN08-Go They used "The kings plan" ost which gave me huge goosebumps during Sora's speech, it still give me that feel till today, even when I hear the ost.
Characters are great and unique, maybe the "soft ecchi" scene was little too much, the comedy was in some parts fun, the idea of them being broken legendary gamers who beats everything is fun and the execution of games, including the ones in light novels are also fun.
+ 6th volume which is the movie about the past holy cow it was an emotional rollercoaster [the first manga/ln which made me cry before watching anime of it]

Re Zero - As much as I am not a fan of the main character and others, I did enjoy the idea of resetting the day/certain momentum by dying aswell as MC not being broken, being vulnerable and easy to killed so it forces him to think what to do. Outside that I don't think it actually make a difference from a Fantasy only show.

Konosuba - A parody, which make fun of isekais, before that genre got so milked so it speaks for itself.

OVerlord - The beginning was fire, it was maybe a 2nd known to me VRMMO into Isekai idea when I heard about it and it was something, especially with the idea that NPCs do everything in his name while saying that this is the great intellect of MC that was fun [In eminence it actually annoys me], The problem with overlord is that the more seasons come out the more burn out the idea of it's world seems to be so the beginning is great, the more you watch the more decent it feels like.

Shield Hero - It got stabbed by focusing too hard on Revenge theme, while the initial one was the Waves which now got little bit expanded into other countries and shuffled around, the First episode is something, it has the idea of a Shielder and being betrayed which wasn't that much of a deal in Isekai which is also the reason of it's popularity. But I'd say from the second season the fun decreases. 2nd season after turtle was a lil bit fun compared to the turtle even, while 3rd season is just as average as it can be.

Gate - The one of gems which make a different approach to isekai linking 2 worlds with possibility of traveling in between, I guess maybe Solo Leveling got inspired by it? [Funny enough that they are made by the same studio] The famous clip of soldiers conquering a castle comes from it and the thought of the political plot and schemes between fantasy medieval world and nowadays Japan etc. It was fun.

Arifureta - Outside the idea of eating enemies to get stronger there isn't anything unique, tho the execution of anime somehow makes it enjoyable, despite making an excuse to create a harem here.

Cautious Hero - From what I know the source material was fully serious, while anime is a comedy I'd say it is beneficial for the title. Pure fun of character being way tooo cautious even against some easy monsters and literally maxing out his "in-game" character before going into the first level area if I would have to describe it in a gaming "terms". It also surprises by emotional approach at the end which I haven't expected and the title is just fun.

Eminence in the Shadow - It's just the title made to be cringe, doing stuff such as Overlord with MC, mixing some parodic alongside with broken maincharacter who's a mix of Saitama from OPM and Seiya from Cautious Hero and it is fun, tho from 2nd season when there is almost nothing more [by nothing more I mean anything unique added] it is less enjoyable than initial season tho it is still some kind fun.

Re Creators - A reverse Isekai, of characters appearing in the main world. Tbh outside that I don't remember a lot from that titles as that's been quite a time since I watched it. All I remember is Altair in her outfit [I've seen people making fun of Chained Soldier as the girl is looking like Altair there] alongside with Sawano's music. All I remember is that it kinda feel like some sort of a battle like in Fate Series but with reverse isekai theme, can't say too much tho I remember having alot of fun watching it

Slime 300 - Can't say why, I had pure fun watching it, maybe the comedic and slice of life aspect was that unique for myself here. As the title itself isn't breaking any approach in isekai outside the fact that the MC just out of boredom/just killed slimes till she reached max level after 300 years.

Sentouin Hankeshimasu - A Konosuba 2.0 [same author] tho less enjoyable, it is still fun, but not as good as konosuba so I would decrease the expectations.

Isekai Ojisan - Fun idea of a person being in Isekai but not focusing on that at all. Just showing that uncle right after everything with the way of showing that MC can use the magic from Isekai in a real world, quite fun title, while all isekai related scenes are literally flashbacks being played as a videoprojector in front of him, his relative and his female friend.

Ascendence of a Bookworm - The approach is top notch, it is just showing the Medieval world with little fantasy, but depicting that world way more seriously than other shows it, to pay more attention into it, focusing on a plot, on a story, instead of repeated plots. So far that's as brilliant in the idea as NGNL but in different direction. Great show and I am saving the sequels for later if I will have an urge for a good isekai cause I am 100% sure that it will not dissapoint me at any point, just a lovely show.

Skeleton Knight - Nothing unique, just fun and the show isn't executed badly

Mobseka - Decent show of isekai x Otome game, ain't great, ain't terrible

I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too - The most average isekai show I can think of

Reincarnated as Sword - Had low expectations with approach of another copy-paste stuff just to sell it, tho it turned out to be quite a good show, outside the reincarnation idea there won't be anything ultra unique, execution of the show itself make it fun to watch

Isekai Meikyuu de Harem wo - As much as I am not a fan of ecchi/erotica, it somehow was enjoyable to watch, there aren't any unique ideas here tbh

Black Summoner - Outside being a broken summoner and having a PlayStation 1/2 CGI graphic in most serious fights it ain't unique, tho it is fun to watch, even those cgi action scenes were enjoyable + cute slime.

Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi - Gourmet, gourmet and again gourmet - Just an isekai focusing on gourmet while the MC has the ability of buying in Amazon/eBay app in this world, and that's all + cute slime.

Saikyou Onmyouji no Isekai Tenseiki - 2nd most average isekai

Isekai Nonbiri Nouka - It is unique in one idea, how to make the harem idea as crazy as it can be, that's how I can describe it and it was fun to watch + the wyvern/dragon little fight was criminally in good quality + great ost in that scene even tho this show is not even closely related to Action.

Benriya Saitou-san, Isekai ni Iku - Isekai with little stories of different characters who in the end encounter each other in one dungeon. A title which almost has nothing unique in it instead of being focused at short skits with some stories of characters, aswell as focusing on the MC who was not even respected in real world while being highly respected in Isekai world despite not being powerfull or a person with a broken abilities, as he's simply a craftyman. The execution is well done and it make it different from others.

Leadale no Daichi nite - Elf mc + VRMMMO - decent, executed not terribly so that's it + the MC has the family as those were the npcs in the game or something like that [already forgotten] the interactions are fun so that's the only difference

Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road - Isekai having a secret force of executioners killing the people who are isekai'd + world changing by the influence of the information and knowledge of those people being transferred which make it unique

Tensei Kizoku no Isekai Boukenroku: Jichou wo Shiranai Kamigami no Shito - It is so average that it becomes fun to watch

Cheat Kusushi no Slow Life: Isekai ni Tsukurou Drugstore - Cute show about making potions, that's it

Jan 14, 2:56 PM

Oct 2018
Re:Zero is a good Isekai. I give it 10/10 for 1st season.
Jan 14, 2:58 PM

Jul 2021
I love trashy isekai (you know, the self-insert MC finds himself in another world, is OP, gets women formula) but unless you actually desire that kinda fantasy for yourself then you're probably not going to enjoy it. Nevertheless I'll recommend some of my favorites but I'll be separating them into different lists (no particular order).

Trashy Isekai:
Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu
Iseleve
Jitsu wa Ore, Saikyou Deshita?
KageJitsu
Kuro no Shoukanshi
Otomege Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu
Overlord
Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru
Tensei Kizoku no Isekai Boukenroku: Jichou wo Shiranai Kamigami no Shito
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu

Non-Trashy Isekai:
Fabiniku
Ascendance of a Bookworm
Isekai Yakkyoku
Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
Kumo desu ga, Nani ka?
Outbreak Company
Re:Zero
Saihate no Paladin
Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou desu
Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore TUEEE Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru
Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei
Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita
Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi
Tsundere Akuyaku Reijou Liselotte to Jikkyou no Endou-kun to Kaisetsu no Kobayashi-san
Tsuujou Kougeki ga Zentai Kougeki de Ni-kai Kougeki no Okaasan wa Suki desu ka?
Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou.

So anyway there's some stuff to chew on. Also some of these anime were hard to separate but I've done my best to do so anyway.

(If you couldn't tell already, I really do love isekai)
Jan 14, 3:56 PM

Aug 2010
i think there is nothing wrong with isekai per se.
Lazy/bad writers can make any genre suck.

if anything, im more annoyed at fantasy anime that haphazardly use video mechanics in their world. They often make the setting make less sense.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 14, 4:12 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert perfect.
I am truly one of these.

I just ignore all male mc shows if I can lately. Yuri shojo ai is preferred. so is cgdct. isekai or otherwise.

OT: I have a few great isekais, they all have that cgdct moe feel to it. isekai is just a trope, its whats in it and how its processes the rest that matter. and the mc design too. slime blob rimiru is very likeable but the other chars also make that show good.
Jan 14, 4:16 PM

Jan 2008
I don't watch many isekai because of the harem and fanservice that dominates it and when an isekai veers away from that the pace ends up really slow and not for me
Jan 14, 4:45 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
RobertBobert said:

Personally speaking, I get more interested in "female isekais" because they tend to have a more interesting premise, rather than being OP at magic or swords, like a lot of "male isekais" do.

I like isekais that focus on stuff like ruling a kingdom, farming, healing magic, making paper, and avoiding death-flags, and many (most?) of them are female-led. They are not immune to shoddy writing, OP protagonists and wish fulfillment, but at least they're not yet another "MC is the best at fighting" show.
Jan 14, 4:50 PM
Mar 2017
I fell off them because I didn't find them that compelling. Eh gimmicks. Eh worlds. Eh characters. I need them to 'do' something in the world that's actually building to something. No well this adventure, this nonsense.

Bad writing of whiplash to not only get to the place but enough build up of the characters to care let alone not another fantasy world without a good gimmick. Changes to the world. The character doing interesting things. Or something. It's like watching cute girls doing cute things anime. If they 'do something and it's an interesting mix of situations, dialogue and such (I don't care if they have character development at all)' then just whatever dialogue, eating, shopping and what not. Not necessarily drama either just more compelling situations to put characters into is all.

I watched them alongside any fan service or slice of life, romcoms or action shows back when I was in my 'everything is new' phase. Now I only watch slice of life/romcom/fan service.

I don't mind parody even. I didn't get into Konosuba but I can see why it was good from the outside somewhat looking in.

Even reverse harems sometimes are more exciting then regular because of the different dynamic, how they present the characters not characters going whelp I'm throwing myself at you and all personality lost even though they aren't under a love potion or anything.

I can see why Shoujo is good is the way they write things. I still enjoy shounen romcoms but still. Wishfulfilment isn't why I watch shows. Sure I can get into fan service but it's not the main focus. Also if they use it well.

If the character dynamics interest me I care. If the concepts are cool I care. If the worlds are compelling I care. Themes. I don't care what the characters look like, if they say interesting things, or anything of concepts to be worth watching I'll watch. If it's overly bland then well I'll watch it but have different expectations as depends how it's presented.

To me the fantasy worlds aren't compelling, oh the characters are this and that of good or bad in the world, oh they die, oh they get transported. There is no build up to their character, it's just 10 seconds, into the new world. That's not only whiplash and bad writing but we haven't even established anything yet how am I supported to care. The 'Hi I'm this ordinary person, in this job, I'm miserable, I'm maybe a strong buff dude or whatever, oh I'm being transported or hit by a truck' very elaborate writing for sure on that one. Sigh.

What the characters bring to the worlds isn't much at all either. Some stuff maybe of survival, brains, whatever, wishfulfilment but much else nah. Probably others have but there gimmicks or adventures aren't exciting anymore.

At least No Game No Life I could get behind the games, it changing often. I didn't care for the fan service, I don't because oh their blank and amazing. I couldn't care less about that. I haven't seen older isekai from the 90s and older but I bet they do something more exciting than the 'get to the point and whatever gimmicks' of nowadays but I don't know for sure on either end only the beginning of the SAO, No Game No Life and others I watched and then moved on to what I wanted to watch instead and no isekai. XD

I've seen eh cute girls doing cute things shows and I've seen many good ones that actually do something with the characters, their jobs, their goals of the series and why they have such a story not being every day and moe and saying not much at all.

It's not even if it's things I care about or 'find relatable' it's just compelling writing and situations to put for a show that counts to me.

Many of the gimmicks in Isekai I don't care for. Are they trying sometimes yes sometimes no. I didn't mind hearing about the Slime series having the building up a village or whatever it was, if it was just slime I'd be like yeah ok sure whatever character gimmick or fan service. But obviously it's more than that and that's fine.

If it's reverse Isekai that's different I don't mind the fantasy creatures coming to our world and seeing what happens there but when it's human/vending machine or otherwise and acting smug in their world or whatever wishfulment I 'm just no interested. I don't care for superheroes either. I do on occasion watch Spiderman stuff but deeply no not even close.

Even gaming manga/anime I need to care about the logic of it not just go 'yay gaming' it just doesn't work that way.
Suntanned_Duck2Jan 14, 5:00 PM
Jan 14, 5:00 PM

Jul 2021
On topic, I think the hate comes from there being way too many isekais, a large portion of them formulaic and just low-effort.

Personally, my eyes just gloss over; I don't even hate them, just not that interested in most of them.

I also strongly recommend Ascendence of a Bookworm. Likeable protagonist, interesting worldbuilding, and steady but enjoyable "ascendance" up the ladder. She's somewhat OP and bland, but she's still a sick kid who needs a lot of help, and is full of enthusiasm and ideas.
Jan 14, 5:13 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to DreamingBeats
Kuma kuma kuma bear is a really fun isekai imo.
@DreamingBeats I second this. It's very good for what it's worth.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jan 14, 5:17 PM

Mar 2008
That entirely depends on what you are into. Isekai isnt really a genre just a setup for a plot start. Actually a good number of isekai would still make sense if they werent isekai. It being isekai a good amount of times is only there to make you self insert because of the notion of "wouldn't that be cool to happen to me" or "hey that would be a fun game" or as a way of explaining a character being too knowledgable about things they shouldnt know.

Sealshark122 said:
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too
Is honestly pretty good

Id say that one is bad if you view it as an action isekai because it's blatantly a power fantasy and sparse not so well done action but it's good if you view it like a school life anime with fantasy and harem themes. That aside from the CG is why so many people were pretty split on it's quality they were looking at it different ways. Though it does have the flaw of how some characters act a little too casually about the MC being so damn powered up like it somehow is normal.
traedJan 14, 5:27 PM
Jan 14, 6:52 PM

Oct 2016
Twelve Kingdoms, The Vision of Escaflowne, Digimon Tamers. That's about it.
Jan 14, 7:26 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to trinitroglycerin
try Twelve kingdoms. I'm watching it rn and it's a really good isekai anime from the 2000's. It doesn't have any of the tropes you mentionned and the mc is one of the coolest female characters i have seen in anime.
@Rocknblock Absolutely this. Fully recommend reading the novels if you want to see the expanded narrative. The character building there is incredible.

Twelve Kingdoms is a one of a kind type of isekai. The simple matter they addressed the fact that the MC will need to go through hell on earth to understand the culture, the politics and how the daily-life works, is incredible.
Jan 14, 7:35 PM

Apr 2022
I watch a lot of isekai. I can help you one of your liking
Find me on discord
Jan 14, 7:39 PM

Oct 2013
It's a thing that exists and something something, busty elf chicks. Just give me season 2 of Youjo Senki already.
Jan 15, 2:01 AM

Jan 2023
The genre is not good or bad in itself in my opinion: some isekais I enjoyed, and some I didn't like.
Some of them have good character writing, interesting world building, good story... and some of them have... not!
Personally, I don't really consider the genre better or worst than any other anime genre.

My favorite isekai are comedy and/or sol oriented.
I can recommend:
Konosuba
Isekai Ojisan
Restaurant to Another World
Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
Cautious Hero
Jan 15, 8:45 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to perseii
RobertBobert said:

Personally speaking, I get more interested in "female isekais" because they tend to have a more interesting premise, rather than being OP at magic or swords, like a lot of "male isekais" do.

I like isekais that focus on stuff like ruling a kingdom, farming, healing magic, making paper, and avoiding death-flags, and many (most?) of them are female-led. They are not immune to shoddy writing, OP protagonists and wish fulfillment, but at least they're not yet another "MC is the best at fighting" show.
@perseii I don't know, to me fanservice, bad writing and wish fulfillment are the same regardless of the gender of the characters. This is why I see it as unfair when people simply disguise “I don’t like male protagonists” as external criticism of the genre itself.

@KuroudoAkabane There is nothing wrong with preferring one thing over another. Regardless of whether your tastes are good or bad. I would just like to see people more honest with themselves and those around them, and not trying to somehow “justify” their subjective interest.
Jan 15, 7:14 PM

Oct 2022
I hate isekai and that hatred has grown by leaps and bounds these past few years.
The types I like the most such as buddy-cop shows have changed a lot since the Covid thing (they're mostly about teenage edge lord prodigies solving crimes now) ; ecchi practically died (but is now getting a glorious revival this season) and sci-fi adventure and traditional fantasy seem very hard to find. The thing I hate the most is how isekai are basically like an extremely lazy game play through, but by people who are incompetent at games. I get why people defend them because lift up a rock and you can find people to defend anything, but this doesn't seem like anything worth watching or defending.

And it's not that I dislike anime for coming from games. Remember when large amounts of yen were splurged on beautiful adaptations of games like GranBlue Fantasy and Tales of Zestiria? I miss those days.
Isekai LN adaptations are boring, bland, ugly, stupid, and devoid of creativity. They seem to get more and more boring and rote year after year. There's one this season called the Unwanted Undead Adventurer. Well that's very apt isn't it. Even the title admits it is not wanted. So why make it then.
Can't wait til the genre dies, and I hope it vanishes without a trace.

Jan 15, 7:28 PM

Mar 2016
Yes most of them are boring and unispiring, but that NOT because it's bad. They just adapted too many too many of them, similar with eroge VN adaptation in mid 2000s or Harem-school-ecchi-fantasy anime around 2014-2017.

In conclusion, isekai is just popular theme right now. Take them with grain of salt

For changing your opinion, ofc i can't because majority of them are exactly the ones you described. But there lots of isekai that takes different route out there if you diligently searched them.
The one that crossed my mind is Urasekai Picnic. No reincarnation (literally isekai), No power fantasy, No generic MC and mixed survival aspect on top of that. Surely the concept and plot isnt boring right?

Jan 16, 2:14 PM
Nov 2020
Why are isekais hated? Well, that's simple because they are the most creatively bankrupt piece of media out there. If want to make a quick buck just take the premise of Sword Art Online, slightly change some random aspects of it(hell, just turn the MC into a dumb skeleton but make him look intelligent), give it a completely BS but attention-grabbing name, and voila! you can buy dinner for the next few months. Combined with the fact that most weebs are just horny teenagers with their own little power fantasies and fetishes and absolutely zero media literacy the godawful power fantasy you wrote with those cardboard cutouts that you call characters is guaranteed to sell well. Thanks to the sheer number of isekais coming out each season the entire view of anime as a medium is getting tainted. Of course, there are a few exceptions like Re:Zero, Konosuba, Shield Hero S1, Mushoku Tensei, etc. but at the end of the day, 99% isekais are just another SAO copy with the blandest and most shallow characters you can ever find. Honestly, isekais deserve far more hate than they get if you want escapism go play a goddamn game instead of picking from the trash can
Jan 17, 9:56 AM

Dec 2022
My favorite isekai is Konosuba, but that's a parody of isekai. For standard isekais, give me Tanya the Evil every time.
MALoween 2023 Candy: ///
Jan 17, 10:08 AM

Jan 2021
I don't have anything against isekai, most of the time they are fun

Very rarely does something meaningful come out of them, but not everything has to have a purpose or a deeper meaning
Jan 17, 11:49 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to SuperAdventure
I hate isekai and that hatred has grown by leaps and bounds these past few years.
The types I like the most such as buddy-cop shows have changed a lot since the Covid thing (they're mostly about teenage edge lord prodigies solving crimes now) ; ecchi practically died (but is now getting a glorious revival this season) and sci-fi adventure and traditional fantasy seem very hard to find. The thing I hate the most is how isekai are basically like an extremely lazy game play through, but by people who are incompetent at games. I get why people defend them because lift up a rock and you can find people to defend anything, but this doesn't seem like anything worth watching or defending.

And it's not that I dislike anime for coming from games. Remember when large amounts of yen were splurged on beautiful adaptations of games like GranBlue Fantasy and Tales of Zestiria? I miss those days.
Isekai LN adaptations are boring, bland, ugly, stupid, and devoid of creativity. They seem to get more and more boring and rote year after year. There's one this season called the Unwanted Undead Adventurer. Well that's very apt isn't it. Even the title admits it is not wanted. So why make it then.
Can't wait til the genre dies, and I hope it vanishes without a trace.

SuperAdventure said:
Remember when large amounts of yen were splurged on beautiful adaptations of games like GranBlue Fantasy and Tales of Zestiria?

LOL, this sentence funnily enough sounds like an Isuckai title.
Jan 17, 12:05 PM

Oct 2022
There is good isekai anime being made, it just that most of them aren't very good or interesting. Create a bunch of power fantasy shows with long titles and people start to grow bored of it eventually. There are some good ones out there though, it's just very hard to tell them apart from the bad ones.

perseii said:
@perseii That's ironic considering this anime is airing right now but I get what you mean.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Jan 17, 12:10 PM

Jan 2024
Isekai took the place of battle shounens as the main source or BSterry that it has to take. As an avid LN reader I was addicted to it until Tsoyukute New Saga came into my life and deconstructed Isekais wholly for me (they're usually demonic power fantasies and you should be studying instead of reading'em).

Most Isekais are just SAO clones. If done right (Re: Zero, Mushoku, etc.) they're pleasing but the market is oversaturated and some twists and turns are always welcome and as long as it keeps the wishfulfilment aspect at bare minimum, the powerful waifus are still kicking butts and looking cute and the OP MC-kun isn't too OP they're still better time killers than most anime nowadays. That's what I think, honestly.

P.S. Not every LN is Isekai, ecchi/harem. Sword Art Progressive, Spice and Wolf, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, Kingdom Hearts (the Novelizations) and HakoMari are the cremé de la cremé of LNs and are better than 80% of most anime we have available as of today. Check them out! You won't regret it! Yoshi!
Ace-aro King. Bow down and pay your prospects.
Princess Zelda #bestgirl.
Gray Fullbuster #bestboy.
I gravitate towards powerful and graceful women, straight and relatable men and thought-provoking yet fun animanga series as my favorites.

RPGs/LNs/VNs >>>>>>>>> the rest.
Jan 17, 1:17 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
@perseii I don't know, to me fanservice, bad writing and wish fulfillment are the same regardless of the gender of the characters. This is why I see it as unfair when people simply disguise “I don’t like male protagonists” as external criticism of the genre itself.

@KuroudoAkabane There is nothing wrong with preferring one thing over another. Regardless of whether your tastes are good or bad. I would just like to see people more honest with themselves and those around them, and not trying to somehow “justify” their subjective interest.
@RobertBobert I literally said I am one of those people, why are you complaining about honesty? what more do you want from me?

2, no one needs to “justify” their subjective interest. thats the subjective part.

3 what you said to perse, *simply disguise “I don’t like male protagonists” as external criticism of the genre itself.* it could be said about any genre setting trope. but the level or class of trash in isekai is far more prevalent. If goblin slayer was an isekai, it would be an exception. Its not an isekai.
Jan 17, 5:58 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to KuroudoAkabane
@RobertBobert I literally said I am one of those people, why are you complaining about honesty? what more do you want from me?

2, no one needs to “justify” their subjective interest. thats the subjective part.

3 what you said to perse, *simply disguise “I don’t like male protagonists” as external criticism of the genre itself.* it could be said about any genre setting trope. but the level or class of trash in isekai is far more prevalent. If goblin slayer was an isekai, it would be an exception. Its not an isekai.
@KuroudoAkabane Every popular genre is full of garbage. This does not justify ostentatiously roasting this garbage just to hide that someone's intentions are more personal. The subjective part, perhaps. But I still see people hiding behind forced genre criticism because they can't directly express these personal reasons.
Jan 17, 6:22 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to WaffleMaster89
There is good isekai anime being made, it just that most of them aren't very good or interesting. Create a bunch of power fantasy shows with long titles and people start to grow bored of it eventually. There are some good ones out there though, it's just very hard to tell them apart from the bad ones.

perseii said:
@perseii That's ironic considering this anime is airing right now but I get what you mean.
WaffleMaster89 said:
perseii said:

Huh, my eyes must have glossed over when scrolling down the seasonal list. It's difficult to stay focused with all these isekai titles, haha.

If this is mainly a comedy and her OP-ness is played as a joke, then it could be fun; but that concept is also starting get old, I think...
Jan 17, 10:16 PM

Oct 2017
I think the reason isekai is so hated these days is because we get too many of them. There are countless of new generic male power-fantasy isekai series, usually with a harem subplot, releasing at any given moment that it takes a lot for one to stand out. It seems that shoujo isekai has fallen out of fashion despite that being a majority of the genre a few decades ago. There just doesn't seem to be as much variety as there could be to make the genre feel refreshing these days. The only real isekai I got super into was Digimon but that's uhhhh nowhere near modern anymore lol
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jan 20, 5:17 AM

Nov 2023
"Advocate for the Isekai genre?"

Sounds interesting count me in too.
I loved this genre too.
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine

More topics from this board

» Favorite anime vs best anime

Kenzolo-folk - 1 minute ago

0 by Kenzolo-folk »»
1 minute ago

» What are some shows that are commonly credited to change someone's life?

APolygons2 - 5 hours ago

21 by Tirinchas »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid?

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

39 by Hikinekomori »»
5 minutes ago

» Why are classic dubbed anime always being praised more than modern dubs?

funtime43_tr - Apr 28

18 by Zalis »»
7 minutes ago

» Did I ever tell you what the definition of stupidity is?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

23 by Sad »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.