Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 3:05 PM

May 2015
Its finally here! A good start to the anime. That last scene gave more of a chill then the original with the music accompanying it. Did a really good job building it up. Also introduced a lot more characters then I initially thought they would but only 12 episodes so makes sense they'll need to get as much in as possible for the basics since the manhwa had a long time to do so. Cant wait for more.

Also that ending song is catchy. Glad we got some good music to go with this banger of a series.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 6, 3:07 PM
Oct 2017
Art is nice.
The behavior of many characters is weird.
Story isn't interesting so far.
Jan 6, 3:10 PM
Dec 2020
Looks amazing but why do we get to see characters from later on in 1st episode
Jan 6, 3:12 PM

Mar 2009
loved it. I like the art, it feels and looks similar to old art style. had goosebumps when the statues eyes moved. truly fantastic already
Jan 6, 3:14 PM

Aug 2019
Reply to LKvido
LKvido said:

They used them to introduce the viewers to the story and do world building.
Following only the MC we wouldn't get much info this early on on what's going on. So I think this was a good change to get people hooked on the series in the first episode.
Jan 6, 3:17 PM
Jul 2023
dentro do esperado
Jan 6, 3:24 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to AnimeIs4Kidz
Just Meh.
Giving it 3 more eps to get interesting.
@AnimeIs4Kidz They chose to do a bunch of introduction which made the first episode a bit slow. That was a mistake because "bullets don't work" "dungeons just appear" is a lazy and bad idea and it was bad writing to explain it.

If you didn't like the first episode, you're not going to like the series.

It would be a solidly mid-tier isekai style show but the author foolishly waters it down by investing time explaining things like guild politics that just demonstrate his world makes no sense and is inconsistent. Humans wouldn't act the way he has them act etc.

It has the same rabid fanbase any manga can get. If someone has never read anything before, it's literally the best thing they've ever read. 10 years from now when they have a bit of experience they'll read it again and wonder what the heck they were thinking when they liked it.
Jan 6, 3:25 PM
May 2022
It’s alright. I’ve read some of the source and I wasn’t that into it as much as a lot of people are. So this was about what I was expecting. There were some extra scenes for world building so that was something
Jan 6, 3:38 PM

Jun 2014
Reply to DreadfulControl
When a cancerous anime studio adapts a cancerous overhyped fanfiction level garbage tier webtoon you know that you will get a dreadful abomination like the Solo Leveling anime. Don't watch this pile of trash.
@DreadfulControl And yet you plan to waste your time watching this "pile of trash?" Why...
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 6, 3:41 PM

Apr 2021
Why TF is Hunter Cha in this episode??? It's sooo random how she just randomly appear when it doesn't connect to what this first arc is all about.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of her appearing right now when she was supposed to be introduced far ahead in the manhwa?

Is it to introduce S class hunters? Like to show how cool they are or somthin?
Jan 6, 3:43 PM

Feb 2012
I was really worried how this adaptation would go but so far I think episode 1 was solid.

I'm bummed out it's only 12 episodes instead of 24 because I don't think the anime will get to the most hype parts depending on how many chapters per episode.
Jan 6, 3:45 PM
Jul 2022
ohhhhhhhhhh yes finally
Jan 6, 3:51 PM
Jan 2024
Great introduction but i wanted to see the face of the statue but it was a cliffahnger
Jan 6, 3:53 PM

May 2023
Great first episode with great animation. looking forward to the next episode, shit is gonna be amazing. Sung drip woo is boutta go crazy
Jan 6, 3:58 PM
Jan 2021
Loved the episode in general, but not a massive fan of all the fan service they did with introducing most of the S-Ranks and main cast so early, I was really looking forward to everyone's first scenes to be the same and how the studio would do it. But all in all still a great episode
Jan 6, 4:05 PM

Mar 2023
cool fighting scenes, don't have too much to say about it because not a lot was presented, but it's obviously going to get better from here as far as i can tell
Jan 6, 4:15 PM
Aug 2022
I learned about this anime from a friend, an avid reader of the Manhwa, and I must say, I love it. The first episode brilliantly sets the stage for what is to come. We are introduced to the main concepts which I won't spoil here. In short, It's a fantastic blend of fantasy with a sprinkle of real-world drama. The episode raised the stakes with an epic cliffhanger, leaving me yearning for more.
Jan 6, 4:17 PM
Dec 2022
nice animation. Good representation of manwha, with more juice added
Jan 6, 4:21 PM

Mar 2020
Already amazing!

Adaptation of one of the best and popular manhwa. And a top tier studio A-1 Pictures. We also have Hiroyuki Sawano and TOMORROW X TOGETHER. ❤️

Also I love Cha Hae-In
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Jan 6, 4:23 PM

Jul 2022
After several delays, Solo Leveling, one of the most popular manhwas, has finally arrived, brought to life by A-1 Pictures studios.

Decades ago, portals appeared connecting to other dimensions, bringing with them monsters that couldn't be killed by normal weapons. The only ones capable of facing them were the 'Hunters,' classified by their magical power levels. However, no matter how hard they try, their attributes won't improve.

Sung Jin-Woo is our protagonist, a Rank E 'Hunter' considered the weakest among the weak. One day, he and his companions join an expedition into a dungeon. Although the dungeon seems easy for his companions, Sung, being quite weak, gets injured but decides to continue as he's the sole financial support for his family.

Thus begins their journey through another dungeon, which turns out to be a moral trap... Will Jin-Woo and his companions make it out alive?

I'm quite intrigued by this anime as I haven't read the manhwa. There are other interesting characters like Cha Hae-In or the Rank S 'Hunters' who seem to be involved in dealings with the government.

In my opinion, it's a good start. The OP didn't quite win me over, but it might grow on me over time. The animation is decent, and the story leaves viewers wanting more.
Jan 6, 4:27 PM

Apr 2022
was not as bad as i was expecting. probably the first time the show looks better than the trailer. cha hae-in fanservice was a surprise. the manhwa was disappointing but so far i don't hate this.
Jan 6, 4:28 PM
Mar 2021
debut sung jinwoo
Jan 6, 4:30 PM
Apr 2023
Reply to lapine05
they changed the names even though they didnt in the Solo Leveling | OFFICIAL TRAILER 4 i dont know why
@lapine05
The changes of name is part of localization in Japan. Novel and manhwa already use that name far before anime release (you can check it in Piccoma, Kadokawa, or manhwa trailer for Japan market), and that was approved by Korean publisher.
Actually they make 2 version of name for anime, Japan name and Korean name. But I don't know the detail of which streaming site using Japan or Korean name.
Jan 6, 4:32 PM
Mar 2022
Greatest anime of all time it’s winning anime of the year soundtrack opening ending art art direction voice actors quality
Jan 6, 4:45 PM

Apr 2017
I didnt expect a good adaptation and i got it! so thankful for this, and it will get better! They even say the korean names, thats a plus. Pretty clean animation. The VA for Lee Joohee sounded american for a second there lol. I wonder if the
is an indicator that we will get the
animated!
Hi
Jan 6, 4:55 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well i've never read the source at all, but consider all the hype i decide to ride the train as well. This is decent surprisingly, and Cha Hae-in already fillin up my heart already with her short cool introduction. The fact that they still keep the korean name, not a certain webtoon adaptation, makes me think, this have a potential to be more enjoyable. In short, really looking forward to see the next.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 6, 5:06 PM
Sep 2020
Really cool, I kinda forgot about the series after reading the 3rd volume, but now I wanna continue from where I left off.
Jan 6, 5:08 PM
Feb 2021
I don’t know how other people feel,
but I absolutely loved the first episode.
As far as I can remember, it matches the book perfectly. The books were already super amazing and I couldn’t wait until I could read the next one.
Knowing what’s going to happen doesn’t bother me either. It’s such a good series already.
Also, the outro song is fire. I love it.
I look forward to more episodes.
Jan 6, 5:10 PM

Oct 2017
Welp, i had low expectation for this given the premise/ title, but this is as generic as expected.

Semi good animation with boring special protag-kun that'd turn from wimpy annoying kid to gigached, the usual.
Was expecting some actual stake for the setting when they mention the monsters have open the portal to the world, but turns out is more like a one way thing for hunter to loot instead of an actual threat.

Also the world setting make no sense at all. So you tell me there're those portal that lead to isekai monsters that're known by the whole world, but instead of letting the military / national force to control them, you say they let random citizens who awaken power to loot as they please to make a living/ risk their lives? Like seriously?
And you cant get more powerful from the point you awaken power, meaning going inside the dungeon is only for the loot. But ofc Protag-kun gonna be the special chosen one who's the only one who can level up and becomes op amirite? The usual generic stuffs.

Also for a system that has developed for 10 years, the party system makes zero sense too.
So you tell me ppl of a B rank~D rank will just take the publicly known weakest hunter on earth to a higher rank dungeon and let him just leech the pt?
There's no restriction/ regulation of which rank can access which level of dungeon? People take low ass rank people out of pure charity for no reason?
I dont even see the mc do the chore like backup work/ loot managing. They just let him leech back there taking loot.

Overall it's as mid as I expected, but ofc decent animation sprinkling with some gore, Mal users gonna hype this generic shit you've seen it a million times up to 8.55 score.
Man, idk why when KR make the same shit JP does a million times, their popularity usually get skyrocketed compare to the JP variant. It's like those Chinese/ KR tags give bonus point out of thin air because the western audience find it refreshing?
Ventus_SJan 6, 5:27 PM
Jan 6, 5:11 PM
Oct 2020
It turned out better than I was expecting it to be. I don't think its fair to compare it to the gorgeous artwork of the manhwa, but I do like how they have arranged the story for episode 1. Even though solo leveling is a cookie cutter story imo, its art was really what made it special. Although the anime doesn't really have that I think its still ok enough to where I can just turn my brain off and its decent. Comparable to the quality of mha s1, just good action.
Jan 6, 5:13 PM

Jan 2022
I knew nothing about this anime or MAWHA before starting this and I'm so far impressed. Both Sung and Joohee are cute. Sucks that you are stuck with your shitty powers if you don't get luck with as S rank. The first episode was actually really good and I'm excited to see more. I can't imagine how Sung is going to survive this S tier boss room considering he almost died from a small green monster that was also E rank. I wish I could binge this. I want more already!!
This never updates so that's cool
Jan 6, 5:14 PM

Jan 2021
Pretty decent first episode. It could have benefitted from a longer first episode or maybe 2 or 3 episodes to not end in a cliffhanger like it did.

I like the art of Manhwa, and I have hopes that the anime will do it justice.

I'll be around weekly.
Jan 6, 5:29 PM
May 2022
Reply to Kyo_7x
@lapine05 wait for the global version. That was Japanese versio
@Kyo_7x I muat have watched the global version. All the names were Korean.
Jan 6, 5:30 PM

Jan 2021
I’ve been wanting to read the Manhwa for Solo leveling but I was waiting for it to end so I could read it then they announced an adaptation after the Manhwa ended so than I was like i guess I’ll wait for the adaptation and now it’s here really cool first episode .
Jan 6, 5:35 PM
Oct 2019
yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Jan 6, 5:40 PM
Aug 2012
I didn't like that they added so many new characters and scenes in the 1st episode. The beginning is already a bit... drawn out a bit (at least in the manhwa) and this made it more confusing and took away the excitement of seeing the other characters for those who already know the story.
Jan 6, 5:46 PM
Apr 2023
Hyped to see more of this, plus gonna start reading the Manhwa soon too. But the quality of this first episode was great, interested to see how everyone gets out of this situation
Jan 6, 5:57 PM
May 2019
Very good first episode but It would be perfect if episode 1 were one hour long like oshi no ko for example
Jan 6, 6:01 PM
Dec 2021
Softhenic03 said:
Watching Solo Leveling as an anime was always a dream, however funny it may sound. This being made by one of the well known studios is one more box tick, so there’s really much to hope about going into the adaptation. Though they changed the names from korean to japanese, which sounds quite cringe. Will be using korean names, as it’s the only “proper” way.

Been a long time since I last read this, and heck if it’s the first chapter, then it’s all more long, so I’m not sure if that’s how it started, but here we started with a flashback to a raid on
. If it’s really anime original then damn, that’s some way to set things up. Anyways, not too long and we were briefed with the workings of this series.

Hunters, their ranks, gates, and how monsters come out of those gates. And then came our protag, Sung Jin-Woo, looking all thin and bleak, taking insults about how much of a weakling he is to any team he’s in behind his back, but hey like any other korean work, there’s a girl who’s kind to him lol. Still back to the story, and just like any other day, there opened a gate and the hunters like ever went in to hunt the monster and take the loot.

Though hey, they did a mistake, without knowing the danger this dungeon could’ve posed they went in realllllly in… to the boss room, no less. And then came the tragedy… which was the trigger to start it all. Shit has already hit the fan.

Loved the first episode. A-1 did justice. Opening without the visuals sounded good, I mean it was expected but still.

Though hey, I’m pretty sure Cha Hae-In didn’t make an appearance this early lol. Just hope the studio doesn’t do any weird changes going forward.

what do you mean name changed? wasn't his name always been sung jinwoo?
Jan 6, 6:08 PM

May 2014
so glad to see this manwha finally animated, and that first episode was incredible. A1 Pictures is cooking with this one
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Jan 6, 6:09 PM
Apr 2020
KANLen09 said:
South Korea's biggest manhwa/Webtoon of Chugong and DUBU's Solo Leveling, the anime HAS FINALLY COME.

Watching on TV whilst hearing Japanese names is very weird at best.

As expected, you've got to pair K-pop group TOMORROW X TOGETHER with SawanoHiroyuki[nZk] for the effective Japanese & Korean experience. The OP song itself is rather uninspiring for now, but will have to see Ep 2 and beyond.

In a world connected by "Gate" releasing monsters, there exists monster hunters, though the lowest level is E rank, which is where Sung Jin-woo is. The weakest E-rank hunter who always has to get healed by B-rank healer Lee Ju-Hee, and the group advances whilst getting a consensus vote. Especially for Jin-woo, he needs money for his family.

And the fateful decision to walk into the dungeon...which is a big place laden with lots of statues, which after a runic text is read, it locks everyone in with the date that they'll never return alive. Even though Jin-woo has had many episodes like this before, he learnt to sense danger faster than anyone else could.

The weakest hunter, facing S-rank monsters. How will survival be fit?

They weren't Japanese names, it was Japanese VAs saying Korean names👀. I do agree that it threw me off a bit
Jan 6, 6:13 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Been a long time coming.

A lot of characters are being introduced way too early I think. But aside from that, I'm very optimistic about this adaptation, going from this first episode.
Jan 6, 6:19 PM

Jul 2016
Sure! Let the dude who dies to Rank E goblins be the decisive vote. What could go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Somewhat "decent" start despite the initial premise being so incredibly generic. Action sequences remind me a lot of SAO's latest entries and OST sure carried hard during most scenes, I must say.
Jan 6, 6:19 PM

Apr 2020
The episode was better than I expected. There seems to be additional content that wasn't in the Manhwa. Visuals are really good
Jan 6, 6:22 PM
Oct 2022
I thought it was great I’m just worried that just like “A returners magic should be special” 12 or 13 episodes isn’t going to get us anywhere and it will be at least a year from now before we actually get to the good stuff. Part of me just wants to wait till the season is done before I watch anymore so I can binge it but that’s not gonna happen. I know I’m being a big baby but the beginning of this story is SLOOOOOOOOOOW after this initial dungeon with tons of hunter politics and long grind of laying out how everything works. I didn’t see how many episodes this will be but if it’s just 12 or 13 they won’t anything done this season. It will take at least 3 episodes just to finish this first dungeon. Hopefully this is 20+ episode season.. as I said I didn’t look.
Jan 6, 6:25 PM
Jan 2015
The episode was pretty good, but one thing stood out to me. He says that he needs this job because his mom is in the hospital (?) and he wants his sister to go to college. But also, he's so weak that he's regularly ending up in the hospital for weeks at a time. I hope they explain that, because it doesn't really make sense. As an E-rank hunter who can barely afford a bad weapon, I can't imagine he's making enough money where another job isn't vastly more economical. Not only would he have to pay extra hospital bills, but he also wouldn't be able to work in that time.
Jan 6, 6:27 PM

Jan 2018
I hope they won't mess up the pacing since it only has 12 episodes.

Great start to the show.
Jan 6, 6:39 PM
Apr 2023
I'm happy they used the real korean names and not the onyomi versions (I believe they could've used the chinese/kanji pronunciations of the korean names). I felt it would've been weird if they suddenly had Japanese names if most of the plot happened in a non-Japan location
Jan 6, 6:58 PM
Aug 2022
Love how they added an exclusive anime-only scene at the beginning of the episode.
Jan 6, 6:58 PM
Feb 2022
It was a good first episode. Let's see if it's as good as people say.

Spanish translation:
Fue un buen primer episodio. A ver si es tan bueno como dice la gente.
Pages (15) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Mar 30

357 by Skippu__ »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

254 by lasodamos »»
11 hours ago

» Solo Leveling Anime Records Surprisingly Poor Sales ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 7

53 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 24, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

297 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 23, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Feb 3

269 by SafeEntity »»
Apr 21, 11:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.