Forum Settings
Forums

Am I the only one who bloody disdains male characters?

New
Do you love males?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 17, 2023 7:26 PM
Jul 2020
remember the time when we used to hate women?remember the times we'd make fun of them cuz they had no rights?remember the the time when everyone in this world had at least a bit of internalized misogyny?i miss the old times its a shame that the world had become like this 😭😭😭 i guess this is what u call generation Z
Dec 17, 2023 7:34 PM

Mar 2019
This is misandry, only the feminists on Twitter/X can be like this lol.٩( ᗒᗨᗕ )۶
Dec 17, 2023 8:18 PM

Dec 2020
Don't have a preference, I think on average males are written better but that's because there's more male MC's than female. But harem ones are pretty stupid. (Not 100% certain on the fact there's more male MC's then female but it sounds reasonable and judging from popular series alone it's true.)

With regards to the waifu shit. I think it's kinda stupid tbh. It's fine having female characters you like because of certain attributes but some take it too far. They act like that perception is shared across all when most couldn't care less. At the end of the day your "lusting" over a fictional character, they certainly do not care about you either if they weren't fictional.

I do think female characters who are written or atleast designed with that in mind are annoying though. Not like anime should be realistic, it depends on the setting. But it takes away from the experience imo by making a character act in a way that's pretty far removed from reality. That's not to say male characters can't be removed from reality too in terms of personality but it's not as obvious imo.

(Edit:) Clarifying that by waifu I mean characters that were primarily designed with that goal in mind for the viewer. It's a pretty broad term. To a degree you could say all are. But I'm thinking moreso characters with little development who primarily exist for fanservice.
NotT5JDec 17, 2023 8:29 PM
read Kingdom, read all of When They Cry and play Muv-Luv + Integrate if that ever releases or die
Dec 17, 2023 8:39 PM

Jan 2014
This is definitely a b8 post xd

but I'll comment here anyways cause why not. Personally I like male characters more as I can not only relate to them more, but aspire to them more as well. I do like female characters a lot, but lets be real here, there's VERY few equivalents for female characters in relation to legendary men such as:

Dec 18, 2023 2:06 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to Yuri-Crusader
Well IMO. There is nothing more annoying than males in anime Lol

Running around being loud violent and often abusive towards the cute girls. I have enough of them to last me a lifetime,,,,No ten lifetimes

But on some rare occasions, males are ok. Like Haruka's father in Sakura Trick. I never see his stupid face and he only has one line "NO males around Haruka! I forbid it!" He is great I wish all males in anime were as great as him 😎😎😎😎😎😎

For my taste, it often works better with Yuri and only cute girls 😍😍😍

I'm a man of culture like eye candy and prefer my lesbians,,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

@Yuri-Crusader yuri remains superior
Dec 18, 2023 6:20 AM

Jul 2010
Very often there is no great anime without well written MC and heroine.
Dec 18, 2023 6:24 AM

May 2010
Reply to DoctorWasabi
This is definitely a b8 post xd

but I'll comment here anyways cause why not. Personally I like male characters more as I can not only relate to them more, but aspire to them more as well. I do like female characters a lot, but lets be real here, there's VERY few equivalents for female characters in relation to legendary men such as:

@DoctorWasabi

shit you aint wrong thats for sure. i relate much more to other male characters since im a man myself. i just took a look at my favorite characters...

Dec 18, 2023 8:37 AM
Apr 2013
I didnt read all the replies, but I think the real issue is poorly/badly/mediocrely written male characters.

I have watched anime that have only and/or majority male characters, and they can be done well (to a certain degree), it just seems like hmm.

Also sample size and genres as well possibly, but the generalized idea is "correct" (in that its the writing that is bad)

Female characters can be written badly too, but perhaps its less common and/or easier to forget/overlook/accept

A lot of anime also have male protagonists surrounded by multiple girls, so in those cases it also amplifies the issues (overly focus)

But personally I feel like a lot of anime could have just replaced those male mc with female mc and just been (automatically) better, maybe its just gender relations and/or bias.
A bit more complicated either way.
Dec 18, 2023 8:48 AM
May 2015
Am I the only one seeing how inherently sexist this whole thread is....?
My candies:

Bonus candies:
Dec 18, 2023 5:36 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to RobertBobert
@LittleOwlbear

Nobody talks about the majority. The only point is that male audiences are often much more critical of male characters than female audiences of female ones.

You are generalizing what I was talking about. There was nothing in my words about the expectations or behavior of “most” men. Only that people do not quite correctly perceive the works due to a lack of understanding of their target audience and often cultural and age differences. It's weird to complain that a conventional shonen rom-com is focused on fulfilling the desires of teenage boys and their expectations of romance, rather than your idea of ​​ideal romance as a grown man, for example.

As for waifu lovers, this is, unfortunately, based on my sad experience discussing such shows. A lot of people literally say that they are annoyed that even such soft-hearted losers get chicks so easily. This is normal, this is normal psychology. If you want romance with a strong and charismatic male lead who will be your role model, then just look for another show that can provide that experience. For example, Mahouka or Bunny Girl Senpai. There's a lot of anime out there that can satisfy even the most sophisticated tastes, I don't understand why people choose to spend so much time complaining about shows that are simply aimed at a different audience.

@RobertBobert

You are generalizing what I was talking about. There was nothing in my words about the expectations or behavior of “most” men.

I mean, maybe, I've been half-absent with my thoughts.

If you want romance with a strong and charismatic male lead who will be your role model, then just look for another show that can provide that experience. For example, Mahouka or Bunny Girl Senpai. There's a lot of anime out there that can satisfy even the most sophisticated tastes, I don't understand why people choose to spend so much time complaining about shows that are simply aimed at a different audience.

Who talked about role models tho.
And I think we have a very different idea of a strong and charismatic lead. Mahouka and Bunny Girl Senpai ain't that. Both are in general very "stereotypical modern anime", including their characters, imo.
Dec 18, 2023 5:56 PM

Oct 2022
I was going to judge you pretty harshly but I do give anime with good looking waifu's higher scores so I guess I can't say anything.

Also wow, this post brought the whole MAL community together, impressive.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Dec 18, 2023 6:25 PM

Jan 2023
Although they are necessary, I too have trouble giving 2 shits about 99.9% of male characters.
Dec 18, 2023 7:12 PM

Jul 2021
I think it's dumb to hate a character based on their gender.
Dec 19, 2023 5:18 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to removed-user
@RobertBobert

You are generalizing what I was talking about. There was nothing in my words about the expectations or behavior of “most” men.

I mean, maybe, I've been half-absent with my thoughts.

If you want romance with a strong and charismatic male lead who will be your role model, then just look for another show that can provide that experience. For example, Mahouka or Bunny Girl Senpai. There's a lot of anime out there that can satisfy even the most sophisticated tastes, I don't understand why people choose to spend so much time complaining about shows that are simply aimed at a different audience.

Who talked about role models tho.
And I think we have a very different idea of a strong and charismatic lead. Mahouka and Bunny Girl Senpai ain't that. Both are in general very "stereotypical modern anime", including their characters, imo.
@LittleOwlbear I don't think that the stereotypical nature of anime, no matter how it is, precludes the fact that the protagonist can be strong and charismatic.
Dec 22, 2023 11:23 AM

Jan 2020
Oh, it feels like a just stumbled upon some feminist’s thread on Twitter, ‘cause, like, bruh…

Would that count as a solid argument if I said that in the world there are two main genders, a neuter gender, combinations of those and a variety of subgenders, the diversity of which is defined only by how much your schizophrenia has progressed (no offense, just joking)? With that being said, portraying only gender in a piece of work is simply unrealistic.

… Did that sound convincing?

Btw, if you were just trolling, then good job!
Dec 23, 2023 12:01 PM

Dec 2023
sounds like battle shounen is not for you haha. I personally prefer male characters usually because to me they tend to be written better not that there aren't any female characters I like alot as well though.
Dec 23, 2023 2:27 PM

Oct 2020
i have the same but other way around. and instead of looks its personality
Dec 23, 2023 7:40 PM
Mar 2009
And then we have the the shitty female tropes of annoying is cute, Always beating up men when allot of the bullshit that happens is their own damn fault or the girls are straight up pshycos killers or dictators if they happen to be powerful.

And I will say this a million times being an annoying air head does not make you cute or hot it just make you dumb and annoying.

But I so say there is a shit load of annoying male main charters as well like the MC in the eminence in shadow he so damn cringe I quit after 1 episode becuse I could stand it or we have charter like Naruto or Luffy who are mostly annoying but thankfully we have side charters that makes up for their shit.

Honestly it all depends on what you like and how much you like the writing but all shows have 1 or more shitty charters male or female and in the end of the day humans are shit so gender means jack shit if your a shitty human.
Dec 24, 2023 2:45 AM

Feb 2011
Dec 24, 2023 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Shizuna
@Aoi_hana what's your take on this?
@Tiosar Wait, did we talk on MAL Discord? Otherwise, we couldn't have interacted on here or I forgot about it.

I did vote on your poll but chose not to comment because I was lazy. I voted no. But I should have actually said something like "it depends". I personally don't watch harem anime (or reverse harem) so I can't speak for those, but I generally don't like male characters. More often than not, they are too bland for me to care about them. There are exceptions to this, but just a few out of a sea of male characters. Say for example, someone like Yagami Light with all his self-importance? Dislike. But I don't dislike L Lawliet. I do happen to like battle shounen though, I've seen a few, but since now I'm going through an anime slump, I've not caught up with JJK or any of the others. Even in battle shounen though, I like the women more. Like Makima, Power, Maki Zenin, they're all really cool and we should see more women in shounen series who are more than just love interests for the male characters. In JJK, the male characters aren't that interesting, but the fights are cool. Did this answer your question how you expected? Also, I know I said "dislike men" on my profile but that's reserved mostly for irl men. Fictional men, if they're not forgettable or annoying, are alright, sort of. /shrugs
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

16 by 41413 »»
57 seconds ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 55 minutes ago

11 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

58 by maya2003s »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

31 by Reecey91 »»
3 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 4 minutes ago

0 by Catalano »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.