Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Rent-A-Girlfriend
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 1, 2023 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
idk, why people hate kanokari so freaking much. it's prolly the real depiction of being in a situation like that. in the end, our individual experiences with art are deeply personal. for me, this has been a source of profound connection. the characters and their stories have become a part of my own narrative, teaching me the beauty and challenges of love in a very personal way. haters gonna hate cuz thats what they r capable of
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 1, 2023 5:21 AM
Apr 2021
You might get a different response if you posted this poll in the last season that aired.

I enjoyed this season for what it was, but it already wasn't a good show. A mediocre rom-com with an unlikable main character that constantly lies, somewhat saved by the waifus.

The seasons after the first keep getting worse as the story barely moves forward, the animation get cheaper and cheaper with long stills and text on screen in place of animation.

I am the type of person that can enjoy trashy shows, but now the show has slid so far down that I just gave up on it.
Nov 1, 2023 5:26 AM
Apr 2019
Bro's "general depiction of romance" is renting prostitutes to go on dates because you're too shitty for actual women to even look at you.
Nov 1, 2023 5:27 AM
May 2016
Show me a real romance where the realness comes from the stalking - that is a crime - and from the pathological lying. Then I accept your point.
If the show were real, then Kazuya would have been in prison by the end of the first season.
Nov 1, 2023 5:34 AM
Mar 2021
Idk why people are downgrading it tbh i enjoyed the show more importantly the storyline is great.
Nov 1, 2023 5:38 AM
Nov 2021
Go outside man go outside
Nov 1, 2023 5:51 AM
May 2020
Watching the ml pisses me off and Ruka pisses me off even more :>
Nov 1, 2023 5:56 AM

Jul 2015
Bro literally said THIS is realistic depiction of romance. I can't, guys...
Like... any girl in this show even acknowledging Kazuya's existence, let alone associating with him is completely unrealistic.

Nov 1, 2023 6:26 AM
Mar 2021
i personally like this show more than any average guy would but it is definitely not 'a real depiction of romance' in any manner
Nov 1, 2023 6:41 AM
Jul 2017
I want to preface my opinion by stating that I’m prepared for the hateful responses.. however

I’ve been trying to figure it out myself. I personally love the show. All of the characters are great in their own way and help to progress the story.

From my observation it appears to be the trendy thing to hate on this show. I’ve only ever seen one reason given for disliking Kanokari & it’s the main character. Not even a reason, just the main character is “intolerable” without any explanation.

I appreciate that this show is different from stereotypical romance stories in that there are much deeper emotions and logic at play influencing the course of affection for the characters as opposed to just both characters just loving each other senselessy & pointlessly. I’ve heard the show gets worse as it progresses but it’s actually quite the opposite. You get more backstory as to why each character is the way that they are, further improving the atmosphere of the story.

In conclusion there are only 2 perceivable reasons for the hate.
1: It’s just trendy to hate it
2: Everyone that has seen this show is a female magnet that can get any woman they desire and therefore can’t stand “inferior beta male characters”…

Second option doesn’t seem very likely either
Nov 1, 2023 6:44 AM

Jun 2023
Abesh_Aziz said:
Bro's "general depiction of romance" is renting prostitutes to go on dates because you're too shitty for actual women to even look at you.

my actual reason as well 🙋🏻‍♂️
My candies -

Nov 1, 2023 6:51 AM

Jun 2023
This has to be a bait post🗿

"To the boy who once sought freedom, goodbye." 🕊️
Nov 1, 2023 6:56 AM
Apr 2022
you're so delusional if you think this is what you think a genuine romance looks like 😅
Nov 1, 2023 7:02 AM
Mar 2023
you realize there hasn't been a confession in over 200 chapters?

spoiler: he was kissed by one girl and still doesn't know if she likes him!

kazuya is straight up horrible. it's as simple as that. he has no growth. we also don't get any decent drama or plot development and it's basically just a car crash in slow motion
Nov 1, 2023 7:11 AM
Nov 2021
tbh, I don't see a valid reason for the hate (not counting the fact it's becoming a soap opera, waiting for the finale is quite exhausting).
"Kazuya is an awful protag"?
Well, he's supposed to be such a coward, reckless, immature guy because that's the space for his character development. He's not a cliche flawless prince waiting for a chance to confess his feelings towards the princess

I honestly don't get why the show is so disliked. I mean, it's a "solid 7/10", quite literally "not bad". It's one of these anime you could watch once, have fun and move to the next one

Someone above me mentioned that the show is about "renting prostitutes because of being scared of contact with normal women". Dude, "sex recession" among Gen Z is a fact, unless you and your friends are sigma gigachads so you have no awareness of this phenomenon lol, thus the core of the story, renting a girl, isn't an absurd idea
MrMichelangeloNov 1, 2023 7:18 AM
Nov 1, 2023 7:30 AM

Feb 2023
"Genuinely a real depiction of romance" is constantly blowing money on a rental girlfriend?
Nov 1, 2023 8:08 AM
Apr 2023
"Real depiction of romance" lmaooo
There are anime that depict romance much better than this one, the protagonist sucks and even the romantic elements are not that great
Nov 1, 2023 8:12 AM

Feb 2021
I completely agree, the hate this series gets is so forced.
Nov 1, 2023 8:17 AM

Nov 2021
For me it was better than Horimia.
Nov 1, 2023 8:27 AM
Oct 2023
It’s alright. Dropped it after the first season but as an amv editor the girl are so fun to edit. However for me, I’m not big on harems so it’s a 6.5/10
Nov 1, 2023 8:53 AM

Jan 2023
Pouring hundreds of dollars into a rent a girlfriend is a “real and genuine depiction of romance”? I’m sorry what?

"You win this round. You doggies."
Nov 1, 2023 8:59 AM
Apr 2023
nishant0 said:

bait used to be believable
Nov 1, 2023 9:15 AM

Nov 2021
Reply to H1NAT4
nishant0 said:

bait used to be believable
@H1NAT4 believe what you want but RaG is more entertaining than Horimia, it never tries to hide its bad side, unrealistic romance and pathetic mc. It exactly shows us what we expect from it, where Horimia try to be a realistic but in actual it is just very idealistic cringe romance.
Nov 1, 2023 9:28 AM
Apr 2023
nishant0 said:
@H1NAT4 believe what you want but RaG is more entertaining than Horimia, it never tries to hide its bad side, unrealistic romance and pathetic mc. It exactly shows us what we expect from it, where Horimia try to be a realistic but in actual it is just very idealistic cringe romance.

what are you yapping about 😭
Nov 1, 2023 9:33 AM

Nov 2021
Reply to H1NAT4
nishant0 said:

what are you yapping about 😭
@H1NAT4 My thoughts on these two anime, read it again if you don't understand.
Nov 1, 2023 9:34 AM
Sep 2020
MrMichelangelo said:
tbh, I don't see a valid reason for the hate (not counting the fact it's becoming a soap opera, waiting for the finale is quite exhausting).
Well, he's supposed to be such a coward, reckless, immature guy because that's the space for his character development. He's not a cliche flawless prince waiting for a chance to confess his feelings towards the princess

I honestly don't get why the show is so disliked. I mean, it's a "solid 7/10", quite literally "not bad". It's one of these anime you could watch once, have fun and move to the next one

Someone above me mentioned that the show is about "renting prostitutes because of being scared of contact with normal women". Dude, "sex recession" among Gen Z is a fact, unless you and your friends are sigma gigachads so you have no awareness of this phenomenon lol, thus the core of the story, renting a girl, isn't an absurd idea

Because he never gets any development. The only development he got was in the movie arc and after that its like he is forgetting all the development.
Nov 1, 2023 9:37 AM
Sep 2020
Even domestic girlfriend has better romance then this shit🤣🤣
Nov 1, 2023 9:42 AM
Nov 2022
Bro got ratio’d 💀

Nov 1, 2023 10:04 AM
Oct 2021
where's the "hell yeah" option?
Nov 1, 2023 10:10 AM
Nov 2021
LitGaming6633 said:
MrMichelangelo said:

Because he never gets any development. The only development he got was in the movie arc and after that its like he is forgetting all the development.

you clearly missed the third season, because this arc is the whole season
Nov 1, 2023 10:15 AM

Apr 2021
i agree that the hate towards the series is very exaggerated, however thats the only thing i agree with you :v. Its not a real depiction of romance, the way the girl stays with kazuya is highly unrealistic.

And secondly although i believe the hate is very exaggerated, i personally think that the author committed a lot of "mistakes" that actually ruined the potential it had.
Nov 1, 2023 10:15 AM
Feb 2021
This show is hated because it has no character development or progression of its storyline. I have watched a lot of rom-coms + harems and I have to say kazuya is one of the worst male mcs I’ve come across, he gets dumped and uses a rental girlfriend to lie to everyone, including his family that he had a “great girlfriend” and begins to creep and simp over her. Chizuru is only there for waifu purposes, mami is the jealous ex and keeps trying to interfere, ruka is just plain annoying and stupid, she goes after kazuya because he heart beat was high around him. Sumi is the only saving Grace of this show as she’s the only one giving actual character development and helps kazuya, too bad she isn’t giving more screen time. I dropped this show after struggling through season 2.
Nov 1, 2023 10:18 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to nishant0
@nishant0 i agree if we are taking into consideration only whats been animated of rag
Nov 1, 2023 10:19 AM
Jun 2023
this anime has very worst character development, too much inner thoughts. this is not real romance, this like you are encouraging feminism. like a women goes on date with whatso ever person. like random guy and she spends a whole day with her holding hands and dating. if I were there I will never chose chizuru , because she is not my type. she is good at acting and has beauty but nothing else. rental gf is like half of prostitution . this anime is this much hyped because of fan service and adult scenes. in next season you will see real losers imagination of her gf.
Nov 1, 2023 10:46 AM

Jan 2020
How do I even justify my position… Well, I’m just gonna say that this show is a piece of crap with great art and good waifus. That’s why I was watching it from start to finish despite dying of cringe every 20 seconds.
Nov 1, 2023 11:33 AM
Original Denjin
Nov 2008
Well, I agree that a lot of the hate that’s directed at the series is seriously overblown, I have to agree with some other people to say that their series has declined since the first season. I mean, I really enjoyed the first season, the second season, not so much. And with the third season, it was quite interesting, but it still moved too slow as some people have mentioned. Don’t get me wrong, Chizuru’s grandmother dying for example, that whole storyline was definitely quite moving, so they were definitely some good points with this season as well

I definitely see how it could be a real depiction of romance. Chizuru herself was saying that at times she gets clients that have trouble with women and that’s why they go on dates with her as like practice so the rental girlfriend service can be quite helpful!

But I also agree with some people to say that the main MC is really annoying! His serious overreactions to stuff is only getting more annoying as the Seasons go on! And also the text that appears which I guess are the characters inner thoughts, are also starting to get on my nerves as well. This season in particular it was shown entirely too much!

I mean, I still like it, it’s still an interesting show, just not as good as it was in the first season.
Nov 1, 2023 11:53 AM
Oct 2023
One of the main things I notice people hating about Rent a Girlfriend is Kazuya, but I’ve never understood this. Kazuya’s probably my favorite character and I’ve never seen him as a creep or a liar. People will say that he only rents the girls because no other women will look at him, but the whole reason he did it was because he had just gotten broken up with for no reason (F*ck Mami). He also genuinely tries to be good to people and he doesn’t want to hurt any of the girls. If anyone is bad in this show, it’s Chizuru. Kazuya has done so many things for her (almost dying and spending a ton of time and money on making a movie for her) just for us to get a “I don’t like him, but I don’t not like him” line. Mini even yells at her for not expressing her true feelings and Chizuru basically tells her to shut up. I’ve always enjoyed the show and Kazuya specifically, lately Chizuru’s been the one halting plot progression, but all the blame seems to go to Kazu.
Nov 1, 2023 1:45 PM
Sep 2020
MrMichelangelo said:
LitGaming6633 said:

you clearly missed the third season, because this arc is the whole season

i did read the manga untill after the paradise arc and thats after the movie arc so i know about his development there. Problem is that the author gets him development and after that deletes it the arc after. He becomes way worse
Nov 1, 2023 2:10 PM
Jan 2019
Abesh_Aziz said:

Haha YES!!

It’s sad and not that romantic at all 😂
Nov 1, 2023 2:15 PM
Jan 2019
nishant0 said:

Don’t bring horimiya into this. It’s much better, realistic and funny.

Rent a girlfriend is demeaning and just a sad fantasy that unattractive, lonely boys dream of happening to them.
Nov 1, 2023 5:04 PM
Oct 2020
I only watched s1 (not gonna watch the rest of it anyway) and here are the things

- Male MC is trash
- it is a harem which I hate
- too unrealistic
- It has little to no romance at all
- They tried to implement the "hehe me horni" part into the show which is just, why bruh

In conclusion , it is just a typical harem but MC is way worse than some others. Waifu wise, they're okay but they seem too based tbh.
Nov 1, 2023 6:08 PM

Jun 2023
nishant0 said:

what is blud waffling about

Nov 1, 2023 6:20 PM
Jan 2021
Relatable MC, great girls, great art and animation too. This series is definitely overhated.
Nov 1, 2023 6:59 PM

Jul 2015
Jmob1 said:
you realize there hasn't been a confession in over 200 chapters?

spoiler: he was kissed by one girl and still doesn't know if she likes him!

kazuya is straight up horrible. it's as simple as that. he has no growth. we also don't get any decent drama or plot development and it's basically just a car crash in slow motion

What I find funnier is that we are three full seasons in and STILL Kazuya can even associate with Chizuru ONLY if he rents her and gives her money. That's how little he and their relationship progressed.

Nov 1, 2023 7:13 PM
Jan 2023
MossyBoy52 said:
One of the main things I notice people hating about Rent a Girlfriend is Kazuya, but I’ve never understood this. Kazuya’s probably my favorite character and I’ve never seen him as a creep or a liar. People will say that he only rents the girls because no other women will look at him, but the whole reason he did it was because he had just gotten broken up with for no reason (F*ck Mami). He also genuinely tries to be good to people and he doesn’t want to hurt any of the girls. If anyone is bad in this show, it’s Chizuru. Kazuya has done so many things for her (almost dying and spending a ton of time and money on making a movie for her) just for us to get a “I don’t like him, but I don’t not like him” line. Mini even yells at her for not expressing her true feelings and Chizuru basically tells her to shut up. I’ve always enjoyed the show and Kazuya specifically, lately Chizuru’s been the one halting plot progression, but all the blame seems to go to Kazu.

“I’ve never seen him as a liar”. Have you even watched the show? He literally starts the show with a massive lie and instead of correcting it he just rides it out for eternity. He’s lying to his family and his friends about having a girlfriend. Sometimes I really wonder if y’all be watching the same show I am.
Nov 1, 2023 7:32 PM

Nov 2021
iLuvCoffee1 said:
Read it again
MK17_2 said:
Well, comedy is subjective so can’t say anything about that, but if you think horimia is realistic than you haven’t really watched an actual realistic anime.
Nov 1, 2023 7:38 PM

Jan 2021
It is hated because it is actually more realistic than the usual romcom, but people want the most basic romcom ever with the most self-insert MC and a girl that falls in love with him because he called her "cute" or something. Of course it doesn't deserve the hate it gets.
Nov 1, 2023 7:53 PM

Jun 2023
nishant0 said:
iLuvCoffee1 said:
Read it again
MK17_2 said:
Well, comedy is subjective so can’t say anything about that, but if you think horimia is realistic than you haven’t really watched an actual realistic anime.

Mate reading it again won't add anything new.💀
Could you perhaps give a few examples of what makes Horimiya "unrealistic"?

I was genuinely taken by surprise when someone posted that Horimiya is a cringe romance, sure it's an anime that's why the timing of the events feel like they won the lottery but where is the cringe, like I feel bad for them if they never got to experience pure love and affection from a significant other like that. 💀

Nov 1, 2023 9:04 PM

Nov 2021
Reply to iLuvCoffee1
nishant0 said:
iLuvCoffee1 said:
Read it again
MK17_2 said:

Mate reading it again won't add anything new.💀
Could you perhaps give a few examples of what makes Horimiya "unrealistic"?

I was genuinely taken by surprise when someone posted that Horimiya is a cringe romance, sure it's an anime that's why the timing of the events feel like they won the lottery but where is the cringe, like I feel bad for them if they never got to experience pure love and affection from a significant other like that. 💀
@iLuvCoffee1 cringe is strong word, but thats how I describe the events that happened in it. It’s the type of romance for the ones who fantasize about romance, for the ones who tries to self depicts themselves to the main characters. Like the most popular girl of class suddenly fall in love with a loner looking guy who turns out to be good looking by the end, he tried to hide his tattoos, then after few episodes they get together and we get to see weird fantasy of fmc. Horimia shows just an idea case of romance not realistic, some might think of it as pure love or real but to me it was cringe, unlike rent a girlfriend which never try to hide from it's theme, as i said before, It exactly show us what we expect from it.
Nov 1, 2023 10:37 PM
Apr 2021
removed-user said:
idk, why people hate kanokari so freaking much. it's prolly the real depiction of being in a situation like that. in the end, our individual experiences with art are deeply personal. for me, this has been a source of profound connection. the characters and their stories have become a part of my own narrative, teaching me the beauty and challenges of love in a very personal way. haters gonna hate cuz thats what they r capable of

"a source of profound connection"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In the words of a legend, 'pardon me I had to laugh at that'.

Ever since the movie making arc, Rental Girlfriend is literally just repeated slop of "ok this time i'll tell he- OH NO, SOMETHING ULTRA MINOR GOT IN THE WAY, GUESS I WONT TELL HER NOW" for 200 chapters.

Shut the hell up. Like, actually, shut the hell up. Profound connection my ass 🤦
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2020

311 by zainaAlizzy »»
Apr 10, 3:36 PM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RegulusX - Jul 17, 2020

294 by afromarco005 »»
Apr 9, 9:32 AM

» What if Rent a girlfriend had Good story, Good romance and Good character development ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 6

54 by kurayamiberkay »»
Mar 22, 10:06 AM

» Do Japanese men are really like this?

mufarari - Mar 8

13 by KayKimii »»
Mar 19, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2020

215 by iikpp4 »»
Mar 10, 5:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.