Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 17, 2023 2:43 AM
Aug 2023
Reply to pro_azwraith
@Garrett_Dark yes, it is in the source material
@pro_azwraith

That's unfortunate because it wasn't good IMO. Did they do it better in the source material, or was it an accurate adaptation?

I hope this doesn't keep happening bad like that, or it was intentionally bad building to something like Misha being the antagonist or something. Misha was pretty much doing the IRL thing of "being offended for somebody else where no offense may be found". It's quite obvious Rae took no offense to Claire's remarks, and it's pretty rude of Misha to admonish Claire when Rae was right there able to speak for herself, not to mention stopping Rae from handling it herself by joking about it. Also especially since the premise of Misha's complaint was wrong, Claire was in danger of Rae's lecherous behavior (not molestation) and not just because Rae is gay, but because of her past behavior on Claire and being gay. It was like Misha was harping on Claire for herself, and not because of Rae.
Oct 17, 2023 3:46 AM
Sep 2021
Looks like claire is starting to develop feelings towards Rae, let's see how this yuri goes on forward.
Oct 17, 2023 4:13 AM
Mar 2018
Not a bad episode, but I do think the "are you gay" scene was a bit odd. I knew it was coming since I skimmed a glowing write-up of the source material, so I expected a bit more than just taking turns preaching to Claire about how gay people are just like everyone else. The others are oddly enlightened.

Regarding Misha reprimanding Claire for asking if she's in danger, would it be so wrong to ask the same question if, say, a (straight) man was obsessed with her to the same degree? Was the point that Rae's behaviour thus far has been harmless, so she can be trusted?
Oct 17, 2023 5:22 AM

Sep 2013
I knew this episode would cause a shitstorm lol
Oct 17, 2023 5:37 AM

Mar 2008
That was an unexpected conversation that took place. I don't think I recall seeing any actual use of sexuality terms in an anime before personally. While it seems odd that whole talk about bigotry at first with how Rae acts, if you look at her actions she doesn't actually really do anything a maid or enthusiastic friend wouldn't do already aside from a few odd comments here and there so she's already made it pretty clear in her actions she isn't a threat to Claire, also that girl saying all that wasn't there for everything we saw too so it's not odd she said those things.

For anyone wondering the words that were being used after I looked it up:

gei ゲイ from "gay" just as it sounds.

iseiaisha 異性愛者 was translated as "straight" in the sub I watched but from what I can tell "heterosexual" is a more straight forward translation since it literally means "different-sex-love-person" but it is basically used in context like "straight" so that isn't totally incorrect but the slang term for "straight" that did not appear would be sutoreeto ストレート or nonke ノンケ which also can be written as nonke ノン気 which is to mean basically "non" when in context of sexuality to mean "not gay or bi" (thus straight) so I assume that one is used more often by gay people in Japan but I could be wrong easily.

Other ones I didn't catch used but just to be more complete:

bian ビアン from "lesbian"

bai バイ as in "bi" referring to "bisexual" in context of sexuality. Otherwise it would mean "bye" which also sometimes gets used in Japanese these days.
traedOct 17, 2023 5:49 AM
Oct 17, 2023 5:55 AM

Oct 2014
hmm I feel like they wanted to go to the part of the purity of love, but they're getting stuck too much on the same sex part.
although maybe it cannot be helped, bcs for the other 3 parties the concept is just so alien.
it would have been better if Rae had been someone who knew the differences between different-gender romance and same-sex romance, as such she would be able to more conclusively say "it's no different" or "it's different bcs x, y, z, etc.".

but then again she said she doesn't know how to love a guy, never been in love with a guys, so.... author is playing the usual "I was born this way" excuse, so that's kinda boring.
Oct 17, 2023 6:53 AM
Jan 2017
Listen, I like this series, I'm queer, but this conversation doesn't work so well considering Rae's previous behavior. Obviously, she would never go so far as that, but literally five minutes before this scene she was rubbing up on Claire's hand which Claire clearly didn't like. Just feels kind of hypocritical. It sucks that such a good conversation was paired with this context.
Oct 17, 2023 7:21 AM
May 2022
LostSpectre said:
@Garrett_Dark Yeah, the LN is apparently a pretty well known work in LGBT circles, I wouldn't have pegged a story with a girl borderline (or maybe outright) sexually harassing the villainess to end up with such a ham-fisted, overbearing display of woke-ness, but here we are. That scene doesn't even remotely feel like the same show, it's like the characters were just being used as mouthpieces for the author's pro-LGBT agenda at the expense of the work itself. The more I think about it I just hate that they not only took something so silly and ridiculous and tried to turn it into something this serious and mature, I'm pretty sure they even used Claire's outburst as a joke set-up, only to subvert that into a lecture, because how dare you find that funny, despite everything Rae has done to her. lol

Yeah... I'm going to try and pretend that scene never happened and hope the show just goes back to being a wacky GL comedy.

This was handled about as inelegantly as you possibly could handle it. Not only did the characters seem to be completely different people, it feels like this was counted as character development rather than a change in perspective that occurred in Claire over time or from some event that made her reevaluate her relationship with Rae.

This just felt like the writer ejected me and the cast from the story, sat us all down and went “hey! I just wanna be 100% sure. You know what gay people are right? I just need to make sure you know that and did you also know that lesbians don’t just like everyone with tits?! They’re just like you and me actually!”

Like fucking yes I know this! What a novel concept that most people aren’t just attracted to anything with a pulse. There was nothing about Rae’s character that would even indicate that. She is in love with Claire which should’ve been obvious by this point which made all this extra weird.

I think Claire had a point as well about feeling “in danger” too. I took this as feeling like Rae was interested in her body which seems to be clear already from the clothes changing scene. I think this is fair. I don’t know why Claire and the others acted like this was some new feeling she had because Rae said she’s gay. Everybody should’ve known she was gay already and she has been thirsting after Claire for the past two episodes. None of this was a revelation but the characters acted like this changes everything now.

It’s also strange that Rae talks about her anxiety of telling people she likes them when that’s all she’s been doing up until this point. Maybe they’ll establish why it’s different with Claire or why she is behaving differently in this life but for now it’s just another reason I’m asking “who are these people???”

I hope next episodes gets back on track because I was really enjoying this show but these felt like completely different characters here that we hadn’t been with up until this point. They should’ve had this change in perspective built up throughout multiple scenes where we get to see Claire’s shifting perspective over time. Maybe have her question why Rae is trying to help her with Thane since she’s in love with her and then have Rae explain her view of Claire, reference her past, and explain what she thinks of her relationship with Claire. That would’ve meant a lot more than ejecting the entire crew out of the story, turning them into these people I don’t know, then explaining what gay is and pretending like we did a meaningful character development.

About the only things I kinda liked about that scene were that they had some worldbuilding maybe? We see that a couple of students are mocking Rae for her sexuality but nobody up until this point has seemed to care so I dunno if that’s a cultural belief or just these two in particular… We also see Claire bullying other people which is kinda in character? Up until this point I was wondering why Claire randomly seemed to bully Rae and we never really see this attitude towards anyone else. She just seems like a normal person with a vendetta against Rae for no apparent reason rather than a “villainess”. But then that was undercut by the fact that the only time she is actually behaving in accord with that characterization it’s just in service of being nice to Rae because she feels guilty even though she was never wrong in the first place.

I have nothing against the author or them wanting to have this character development in the story it just wasn’t handled well. We should’ve kept developing that thread between them that we saw at the end of episode two and built up to this in the actual plot. Now if feels like we’ve skipped ahead and these are completely different people we have going forward. There was no build up to this they just removed everyone from the story, tweaked them, and set them right back in as these new versions. I’m really hoping that they can backtrack and give some more meaning to these changes in Claire and Rae in the episodes it come rather than just continue on like these changes in them have some relevance as it stands.
Oct 17, 2023 8:22 AM
Feb 2020
I legit cried in the second half of the episode..I LOVE THIS SM
Oct 17, 2023 8:51 AM
Apr 2012
Reply to Erika___
I knew this episode would cause a shitstorm lol
@Erika___ a lot of anime fans are the same type of people who get pissed cos their favourite female seiyuu gets a boyfriend. They were like this during Shinsekai Yori too, they're not gonna the most open-minded people lmao
Oct 17, 2023 9:22 AM

Sep 2018
Really happy to see this scene get animated, it does quite a lot to recontextualize Rae's character and begins to tap into why I find her so compelling as a protagonist.
Oct 17, 2023 9:54 AM

Jun 2014
Well said, @Felsun
Oct 17, 2023 10:07 AM

Jun 2014
The discussion about Rae's sexual orientation was interesting, but handled seriously, which was nice.

Did Claire just defend Rae? That was unexpected. Claire will never admit it, though. :P

Oct 17, 2023 10:21 AM
Oct 2023
it was a great episode, liked the fact that they didn't just skipped this part, I like it when an anime tries to show real world problems.
Oct 17, 2023 11:32 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to AzureSymphony
@Garrett_Dark Yes, this scene was in the source material. In fact, this scene was small fry in terms of various subjects the source material deals with - it will not shy away from tackling stuff that will get fans of the term "woke-ness" in a spin. If you're offended by being directly told that prejudice ain't ok, instead of something subtle enough that you can ignore and headcanon away, drop it now and save yourself the mental anguish.
@AzureSymphony It's not "woke' because it's a yuri series that's actually outright gay, it's woke because of how overbearing and preachy they made this scene, it turned into a full on lecture, and made two of the characters act dumb and out of character in order to use them as liberal mouthpieces, not to mention turning Misha into a full blown safe-space LGBT activist. Like, Claire's outburst would have just been a normal joke 5 minutes prior, because in a comedic sense, it's completely justified that "senses she's in danger", because she never believed Rae's confessions until now, and Rae has done plenty of inappropriate things to Claire, which we laughed off because Claire is the villainess, and she looks adorable when she's flustered. This abrupt shift into a serious conversation about "gay rights" is hugely dissonant in tone, feels horribly out of place, and is wildly contradictory to the established more unrealistic/comedic logic of the show.

If you wouldn't mind, could I get a sampler (in spoilers) of what sort of stuff is to come, I'm contemplating dropping, which is a shame.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 17, 2023 11:42 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Garrett_Dark
@LostSpectre

Claire's outburst of "I'm sensing I'm in danger" is actually an amusing line that's in-line with her character, but Misha's deadpan serious response to it killed the humor. She sucked all the fun out of the scene, and even told Rae to stop making jokes. Misha in that moment felt like one of the activists or people who take a cause way too seriously that demands others to take it just seriously as they do, others are not allowed to joke about it nor joke around to lighten up the atmosphere. I really do hope it turns out Misha is the antagonist, and this isn't some injected pandering somebody decided to put in all willy-nilly.

I wonder if anybody can confirm the subs and the Japanese dialog was the same? I watched the English dub, and I've heard in the past that sometimes the dubs would inject woke-ness which doesn't even match the original dialog. Something about Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, which I haven't watched. But I suppose if this is "a pretty well known work in the LGBT circles", it might have been intentional from the start. Can anybody confirm if this scene was in the source material?
@Garrett_Dark Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with the dub, it just turns out this is in fact a pretty "woke" piece of media, the author is a gay woman, and goes far beyond just making Rae canonically gay, it also delves into real social issues of injustice towards gay people, for better or worse. Personally, that conversation comes WAY out of left field and the more serious/mature tone grinds all of the fun to a screeching halt.

This has literally nothing to do with the fact that there's actually a gay girl in a GL series, it's all the baggage that came along with that. I would have much preferred if the author had made a more series and mature work, and then incorporated these themes in a way that comes across more organically, but I guess she couldn't cash in on the "villainess" wave, and do that at the same time. As it stands, I really hate what the author did in this series, and I vehemently disagree with the idea that we should cheer for the message to the detriment of the work itself.
LostSpectreOct 17, 2023 11:45 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 17, 2023 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Felsun
LostSpectre said:
@Garrett_Dark Yeah, the LN is apparently a pretty well known work in LGBT circles, I wouldn't have pegged a story with a girl borderline (or maybe outright) sexually harassing the villainess to end up with such a ham-fisted, overbearing display of woke-ness, but here we are. That scene doesn't even remotely feel like the same show, it's like the characters were just being used as mouthpieces for the author's pro-LGBT agenda at the expense of the work itself. The more I think about it I just hate that they not only took something so silly and ridiculous and tried to turn it into something this serious and mature, I'm pretty sure they even used Claire's outburst as a joke set-up, only to subvert that into a lecture, because how dare you find that funny, despite everything Rae has done to her. lol

Yeah... I'm going to try and pretend that scene never happened and hope the show just goes back to being a wacky GL comedy.

This was handled about as inelegantly as you possibly could handle it. Not only did the characters seem to be completely different people, it feels like this was counted as character development rather than a change in perspective that occurred in Claire over time or from some event that made her reevaluate her relationship with Rae.

This just felt like the writer ejected me and the cast from the story, sat us all down and went “hey! I just wanna be 100% sure. You know what gay people are right? I just need to make sure you know that and did you also know that lesbians don’t just like everyone with tits?! They’re just like you and me actually!”

Like fucking yes I know this! What a novel concept that most people aren’t just attracted to anything with a pulse. There was nothing about Rae’s character that would even indicate that. She is in love with Claire which should’ve been obvious by this point which made all this extra weird.

I think Claire had a point as well about feeling “in danger” too. I took this as feeling like Rae was interested in her body which seems to be clear already from the clothes changing scene. I think this is fair. I don’t know why Claire and the others acted like this was some new feeling she had because Rae said she’s gay. Everybody should’ve known she was gay already and she has been thirsting after Claire for the past two episodes. None of this was a revelation but the characters acted like this changes everything now.

It’s also strange that Rae talks about her anxiety of telling people she likes them when that’s all she’s been doing up until this point. Maybe they’ll establish why it’s different with Claire or why she is behaving differently in this life but for now it’s just another reason I’m asking “who are these people???”

I hope next episodes gets back on track because I was really enjoying this show but these felt like completely different characters here that we hadn’t been with up until this point. They should’ve had this change in perspective built up throughout multiple scenes where we get to see Claire’s shifting perspective over time. Maybe have her question why Rae is trying to help her with Thane since she’s in love with her and then have Rae explain her view of Claire, reference her past, and explain what she thinks of her relationship with Claire. That would’ve meant a lot more than ejecting the entire crew out of the story, turning them into these people I don’t know, then explaining what gay is and pretending like we did a meaningful character development.

About the only things I kinda liked about that scene were that they had some worldbuilding maybe? We see that a couple of students are mocking Rae for her sexuality but nobody up until this point has seemed to care so I dunno if that’s a cultural belief or just these two in particular… We also see Claire bullying other people which is kinda in character? Up until this point I was wondering why Claire randomly seemed to bully Rae and we never really see this attitude towards anyone else. She just seems like a normal person with a vendetta against Rae for no apparent reason rather than a “villainess”. But then that was undercut by the fact that the only time she is actually behaving in accord with that characterization it’s just in service of being nice to Rae because she feels guilty even though she was never wrong in the first place.

I have nothing against the author or them wanting to have this character development in the story it just wasn’t handled well. We should’ve kept developing that thread between them that we saw at the end of episode two and built up to this in the actual plot. Now if feels like we’ve skipped ahead and these are completely different people we have going forward. There was no build up to this they just removed everyone from the story, tweaked them, and set them right back in as these new versions. I’m really hoping that they can backtrack and give some more meaning to these changes in Claire and Rae in the episodes it come rather than just continue on like these changes in them have some relevance as it stands.
@Felsun Absolutely, the transition and everything here is intentional, the author wants to slam you over the head with this abrupt change of tone. Claire and her head maid are both inexplicably turned into bigots for the sake of lecturing the audience. Like, I won't even deny the validity of potentially needing such a heavy-handed approach in a GL series, where it's way too common for people to make excuses like "they're just good friends" or "she's not gay, just happened to fall in love with a girl" because these are the sort of ideas that are directly being refuted in the scene that took place, and LGBT rights/protections in Japan are lacking, not to mention that gay marriage is still not legal. I just have mixed feelings about injecting all of these social/political themes into what otherwise seemed like a wacky GL comedy, to the detriment of the story/narrative itself. There should be absolutely no question that the story here suffers, in a purely objective sense, even if it's a worthwhile message.

I also can't roll my eyes hard enough at people who think anyone who has an issue with this is upset there's actually a gay girl in a yuri series.
LostSpectreOct 17, 2023 12:22 PM
Oct 17, 2023 12:35 PM
May 2022
LostSpectre said:
@Felsun Absolutely, the transition and everything here is intentional, the author wants to slam you over the head with this abrupt change of tone. Claire and her head maid are both inexplicably turned into bigots for the sake of lecturing the audience. Like, I won't even deny the validity of potentially needing such a heavy-handed approach in a GL series, where it's way too common for people to make excuses like "they're just good friends" or "she's not gay, just happened to fall in love with a girl" because these are the sort of ideas that are directly being refuted in the scene that took place, and LGBT rights/protections in Japan are lacking, not to mention that gay marriage is still not legal. I just have mixed feelings about injecting all of these social/political themes into what otherwise seemed like a wacky GL comedy, to the detriment of the story/narrative itself. There should be absolutely no question that the story here suffers, in a purely objective sense, even if it's a worthwhile message.

I also can't roll my eyes hard enough at people who think anyone who has an issue with this is upset there's actually a gay girl in a yuri series.

Yeah I saw someone else mention that at least it’s not vague. I’m not as familiar with the overall culture of this genre so that makes sense now why that’s part of the conversation I’ve seen.

I don’t really mind the story to have a change in tone. Like Spy x Family has darker more serious moments mixed in with an overall light and fun series so it can be done well and not be an issue. My main problem is that it didn’t respect the characters enough to have this developed over time and that the story treated them like completely different people. I really liked the first two episodes and one of the things I wanted a lot was more characterization for these two and their relationship but now they’ve kinda pissed that away. I’m really hoping it gets back to a good story and takes things a bit more seriously (not in tone but in terms of just writing these characters) but this episode really sucked. The worst thing is gonna be if now we just go to Claire trying to allay her guilty (unwarrantedly so) consciousness from now on and suddenly shifting to just supporting Rae.

I think including this development, message, whatever you want to call it is fine it’s just that it upended the story and hurts these characters in the process. With any story I just want it to take it’s characters and world seriously. Doesn’t have to be perfect but I can’t think of another anime I watched that basically dragged its cast into this pocket dimension to explain what a gay person is and apparently erase their memories too since Claire acted all shocked that Rae “I love you Miss Claire” Taylor or Rae “I wanna stare at your tits while you dress” Taylor was “secretly” gay all along! Dun dun DUN! What a reveal… 😂

Not to rant at you. I agree with what you’re saying too man this episode just disappointed me though. I was really excited to keep watching this show. I still have hope that it’ll get back on course and flesh out this development it just injected into the cast. Lol I would love this to be good. First two episodes gave me a lot of laughs and I thought there was some interesting stuff between the characters too. Claire should’ve been shown as more a villainess but I digress… lol thanks for coming to my TED talk if you managed to get this far 🤣
Oct 17, 2023 12:59 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Felsun
LostSpectre said:

Yeah I saw someone else mention that at least it’s not vague. I’m not as familiar with the overall culture of this genre so that makes sense now why that’s part of the conversation I’ve seen.

I don’t really mind the story to have a change in tone. Like Spy x Family has darker more serious moments mixed in with an overall light and fun series so it can be done well and not be an issue. My main problem is that it didn’t respect the characters enough to have this developed over time and that the story treated them like completely different people. I really liked the first two episodes and one of the things I wanted a lot was more characterization for these two and their relationship but now they’ve kinda pissed that away. I’m really hoping it gets back to a good story and takes things a bit more seriously (not in tone but in terms of just writing these characters) but this episode really sucked. The worst thing is gonna be if now we just go to Claire trying to allay her guilty (unwarrantedly so) consciousness from now on and suddenly shifting to just supporting Rae.

I think including this development, message, whatever you want to call it is fine it’s just that it upended the story and hurts these characters in the process. With any story I just want it to take it’s characters and world seriously. Doesn’t have to be perfect but I can’t think of another anime I watched that basically dragged its cast into this pocket dimension to explain what a gay person is and apparently erase their memories too since Claire acted all shocked that Rae “I love you Miss Claire” Taylor or Rae “I wanna stare at your tits while you dress” Taylor was “secretly” gay all along! Dun dun DUN! What a reveal… 😂

Not to rant at you. I agree with what you’re saying too man this episode just disappointed me though. I was really excited to keep watching this show. I still have hope that it’ll get back on course and flesh out this development it just injected into the cast. Lol I would love this to be good. First two episodes gave me a lot of laughs and I thought there was some interesting stuff between the characters too. Claire should’ve been shown as more a villainess but I digress… lol thanks for coming to my TED talk if you managed to get this far 🤣
@Felsun Yeah, my issue only concerns the execution, because that scene was purposely intended to slam you over the head and to be a dig at the types of people who try and rationalize distancing GL content from homosexuality, which was the entire purpose for the head maid to interrupt on Claire's behalf and start saying nonsense about "the person you fell in love with just happened to be a girl, right?". It's the overbearing preachiness of it all that completely ignores the prior logic, tone, atmosphere, etc. of the series, in this scene, that ruined the whole interaction for me. That scene felt like it was 10 minutes long, and I saw another person comment the same thing, but it was actually just 4 minutes until it's interrupted by the beef bowls.

Also, in narrative terms, (logically, not the forced canon) it would make sense for Claire to react the way she did in the prior comedic sense, because up until now she hasn't actually believed Rae's confessions and doesn't know what to think of her, just last episode she demanded that Rae tell her what she's really after. So, finding out that it's true, and Rae really is in love with her, and factoring in all of Rae's inappropriate behavior, that certainly seems like cause to sense you're in danger, and it's why I laughed at what felt like an obvious comedic set-up, only to be bludgeoned by a lecture, despite not needing to be the intended recipient, and having very mixed feelings on promoting these messages when it's to the detriment of the work itself.
Oct 17, 2023 1:08 PM
Aug 2022
hit a touching subject really well, amazing and kept up the tone with the show
Oct 17, 2023 1:20 PM
May 2022
LostSpectre said:
@Felsun Yeah, my issue only concerns the execution, because that scene was purposely intended to slam you over the head and to be a dig at the types of people who try and rationalize distancing GL content from homosexuality, which was the entire purpose for the head maid to interrupt on Claire's behalf and start saying nonsense about "the person you fell in love with just happened to be a girl, right?". It's the overbearing preachiness of it all that completely ignores the prior logic, tone, atmosphere, etc. of the series, in this scene, that ruined the whole interaction for me. That scene felt like it was 10 minutes long, and I saw another person comment the same thing, but it was actually just 4 minutes until it's interrupted by the beef bowls.

Also, in narrative terms, (logically, not the forced canon) it would make sense for Claire to react the way she did in the prior comedic sense, because up until now she hasn't actually believed Rae's confessions and doesn't know what to think of her, just last episode she demanded that Rae tell her what she's really after. So, finding out that it's true, and Rae really is in love with her, and factoring in all of Rae's inappropriate behavior, that certainly seems like cause to sense you're in danger, and it's why I laughed at what felt like an obvious comedic set-up, only to be bludgeoned by a lecture, despite not needing to be the intended recipient, and having very mixed feelings on promoting these messages when it's to the detriment of the work itself.

Man that’s interesting about the culture around these GL stories. I never knew that and I just assumed that Claire (as well as the audience) saw Rae as being attracted to her. The only other GL series I watched was the Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Girl (lol I think that was the name anyways… close enough). This could’ve handled the main characters’ relationship in a similar way maybe. In that show they kiss at the end and I think that’s better than what we got here honestly because it’s built up throughout the series but it gets the point across if you really are worried people will say your characters aren’t in love. I don’t really know what to make of the worry that people will say they weren’t really in love or that their relationship wasn’t romantic but I think there are still better examples of how to address this regardless.

I get where you’re coming from about what you said regarding the end of episode 2. How I saw it though was just that Claire was worried about letting someone get close to her. I think either could be true. We really don’t have enough information about her character yet to know how she views relationships with others generally. Like I don’t know if people have been trying to use her for their own gain throughout her life or what. With her lackeys it’s hard to tell much since we don’t know their social standing or what the relationship between those three is other than they follow her. My point is it’s hard to tell whether she doesn’t trust Rae and that she thinks she has ulterior motives aside from loving her or if she just has some anxiety about accepting that other people could love her. I was hoping that maybe this episode would start to build on that but looks like we’re just moving right along now.
Oct 17, 2023 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Felsun
LostSpectre said:

Man that’s interesting about the culture around these GL stories. I never knew that and I just assumed that Claire (as well as the audience) saw Rae as being attracted to her. The only other GL series I watched was the Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Girl (lol I think that was the name anyways… close enough). This could’ve handled the main characters’ relationship in a similar way maybe. In that show they kiss at the end and I think that’s better than what we got here honestly because it’s built up throughout the series but it gets the point across if you really are worried people will say your characters aren’t in love. I don’t really know what to make of the worry that people will say they weren’t really in love or that their relationship wasn’t romantic but I think there are still better examples of how to address this regardless.

I get where you’re coming from about what you said regarding the end of episode 2. How I saw it though was just that Claire was worried about letting someone get close to her. I think either could be true. We really don’t have enough information about her character yet to know how she views relationships with others generally. Like I don’t know if people have been trying to use her for their own gain throughout her life or what. With her lackeys it’s hard to tell much since we don’t know their social standing or what the relationship between those three is other than they follow her. My point is it’s hard to tell whether she doesn’t trust Rae and that she thinks she has ulterior motives aside from loving her or if she just has some anxiety about accepting that other people could love her. I was hoping that maybe this episode would start to build on that but looks like we’re just moving right along now.
@Felsun Plus, my interpretation of Claire not really believing in her confessions/affection would go right along with what Rae said about herself, that she turned to using loud and outlandish expressions of love in ways that people couldn't tell were legitimate, because she feared being rejected for putting herself out there in an honest and vulnerable way, where her feelings are communicated genuinely. Let's not forget that Rae was instantly in love with Claire, despite Claire being a literal bully, it makes zero sense, at least from Claire's perspective. Also, Claire has never reacted in a way that's outright homophobic to these declarations of girl/girl love, even when she knows Rae is ogling her, which is just another way that scene betrays what came before it.

Oh, and another commenter said that this scene was "small fry" compared to what's to come. I asked them to clarify, because I might drop.
Oct 17, 2023 2:03 PM
May 2022
LostSpectre said:
@Felsun Plus, my interpretation of Claire not really believing in her confessions/affection would go right along with what Rae said about herself, that she turned to using loud and outlandish expressions of love in ways that people couldn't tell were legitimate, because she feared being rejected for putting herself out there in an honest and vulnerable way, where her feelings are communicated genuinely. Let's not forget that Rae was instantly in love with Claire, despite Claire being a literal bully, it makes zero sense, at least from Claire's perspective. Also, Claire has never reacted in a way that's outright homophobic to these declarations of girl/girl love, even when she knows Rae is ogling her, which is just another way that scene betrays what came before it.

Oh, and another commenter said that this scene was "small fry" compared to what's to come. I asked them to clarify, because I might drop.

Yeah I agree with all of that. Those are good points about Claire and Rae both that I hadn’t thought much about honestly. It really is strange as far as Claire should be concerned. I’d love to see what Claire was like with this person before Rae entered into their head even though I doubt that would be something they went into in this most isekai. I guess they might’ve been the same since Rae was potentially controlling them for awhile through the gameplay and inserting as much of her personality as she could through the game’s prompts. Still though this should feel like a very different personality that came out of nowhere.

It’ll be sad if this is how the character development is handled going forward. I’ll probably finish it just because I was really excited for this one but man is it gonna be a slog if this is just the beginning…
Oct 17, 2023 2:05 PM
Adventurer

Apr 2017
Gay conversations around the lunch table, gotta love that. Threw me back into my HS days with that lol
I'll make it with the power of cute

I'm unstoppable
Oct 17, 2023 2:56 PM
Jul 2015
Wow I originally thought this anime was another edition to the whole girls bully the person they like trend that has been going on, then I started getting into it but I never really expected to see such a honest and realistic depiction of lesbianism that wasn't clouded by undertones. Straight up admitted it and defined it then gave us a decent conversation about it. I don't think I've seen an anime do that before and kind of surprised this one is the first. I reminds me of a line from a Demo D video. Like for the most part I just realized how much more real this conversation felt than probably any other depiction homosexuality I've seen in anime. Which I find really weird since like I remember Sailor Moon's adaptation in America being criticized for turning the lesbian couple into cousins in the 90's.
Oct 17, 2023 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Felsun
LostSpectre said:

Yeah I agree with all of that. Those are good points about Claire and Rae both that I hadn’t thought much about honestly. It really is strange as far as Claire should be concerned. I’d love to see what Claire was like with this person before Rae entered into their head even though I doubt that would be something they went into in this most isekai. I guess they might’ve been the same since Rae was potentially controlling them for awhile through the gameplay and inserting as much of her personality as she could through the game’s prompts. Still though this should feel like a very different personality that came out of nowhere.

It’ll be sad if this is how the character development is handled going forward. I’ll probably finish it just because I was really excited for this one but man is it gonna be a slog if this is just the beginning…
@Felsun Yeah, the more I think about this topic the more my interest in the series fades. It genuinely feels like a bait and switch type of situation, where this scene exposes the true underlying nature behind the show. Sure, some people will be upset there's lesbians in the genre where girls love other girls, makes perfect sense. I'm just kind of bummed out they turned a wacky/fun show into a platform to educate the audience on intolerance. Why is this something I want in my media, should I be happy it's spreading a positive message at the detriment of a series I was enjoying? It's one thing if a show is explicitly about these themes from the jump, but I would never have pegged this turn of events, it felt like any other GL type show with typical Japanese non-PC humor. I'll just put it on hold for now until I get more information about future events, because I would just be forcing myself to continue it after that scene sucked all the fun right of it.

I'm sure you understand my points, but to reiterate, that scene is a detriment to the work because it's executed abysmally, not because it's pro-LGBT.
LostSpectreOct 17, 2023 3:17 PM
Oct 17, 2023 4:55 PM

Aug 2020
An actual discussion about this topic... Interesting. Also, nice to see that Claire is taking Rae's side in the tough hours.

Oct 17, 2023 5:20 PM
May 2022
LostSpectre said:
@Felsun Yeah, the more I think about this topic the more my interest in the series fades. It genuinely feels like a bait and switch type of situation, where this scene exposes the true underlying nature behind the show. Sure, some people will be upset there's lesbians in the genre where girls love other girls, makes perfect sense. I'm just kind of bummed out they turned a wacky/fun show into a platform to educate the audience on intolerance. Why is this something I want in my media, should I be happy it's spreading a positive message at the detriment of a series I was enjoying? It's one thing if a show is explicitly about these themes from the jump, but I would never have pegged this turn of events, it felt like any other GL type show with typical Japanese non-PC humor. I'll just put it on hold for now until I get more information about future events, because I would just be forcing myself to continue it after that scene sucked all the fun right of it.

I'm sure you understand my points, but to reiterate, that scene is a detriment to the work because it's executed abysmally, not because it's pro-LGBT.

No yeah I totally get what you’re saying. I think they could’ve portrayed a positive relationship between these two and navigated these issues but completely leaving the story for a sec to educate everyone so explicitly isn’t the way. This should’ve been the plot for the season (or at least an episode or two) and built up. How it is now just feels like the story is saying these are completely new people we’re following moving forward based on the character development they had uploaded into them.

I think you could have dialogue about how Claire changes her view son Rae and feels guilty about her view of her because of some significant event they go through or something that makes her reconsider things but we got none of that. It’s fine to have this story you just have to add it into the world naturally not sacrifice your characters to explicitly tell the audience “Hey I just want to make sure that you know what gay people are ok? Did you know they don’t just like ANYONE of the same sex?! They’re just like you and me fellow straight person!” Like motherfucker I know this 😂 and then I think it’s the maid that comments on how this is more complicated a concept than she originally thought lol. Like come off it 🤣 Give me a scene where we see characters having agency and growing. It’s a real shame too if this is a trend and not a one off scene like this and we don’t step back to the way they were before and build back up to this. You can have all of this development but earn it and let it build up naturally. The end of episode 2 made me so interested for what was to come! Do that more! Build on that conversation! From the time they entered the dining hall to the end of episode 3 it felt like we were in some all new story separate from anything prior.

I’m just disappointed. Gonna stick with it another episode or so to see if things go back to the fun story with some emotional moments (and the characters we knew) where we see the characters grow closer again (and are given an actual understanding of why these changes in perspective occur) but yeah I get leaving off after that. Haven’t seen an episode quite so explicit in its theme or message or something and detached from the story like this in awhile.

And yeah again I get that you didn’t watch this show and have just been waiting for your moment to bash on the lesbian show 🤣 nah there’s a lot to criticize about how this affects the story and character going forward and even if not you’re allowed to not like it for whatever reason as well even if it was executed well. All I’m saying is that we’re talking about the story here I’m not gonna assume or accuse you of not liking the lesbians and somehow stumbling upon a GL show just because you too think this wasn’t the best way to have done this (to say the least). Been nice reading your thoughts and stuff I missed as well as getting to rant myself 😂
Oct 17, 2023 6:20 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to LostSpectre

@LostSpectre

It was one badly executed scene out of everything being great beforehand, it's probably premature to drop it so far. They made a big deal of Rae telling Claire to treat her as Claire has always done before, and Rae asking Claire if she still "hates" her as a sign things can go back to how it was. So hopefully that is indeed the case, and any other "serious talk" scenes will be better implemented so it doesn't come at the expense/betrayal of characters and plot established up to then.

I wouldn't believe the commenter telling us to drop the show too much, they seem to think everybody being critical of that scene to be prejudice of LGBT or something, when we've all been very explicate at explaining the problems we have with that scene is it's bad execution, and damage/betrayal of the established characters and plot up until that point. They're saying there's more LGBT stuff coming up that we'd be prejudice of, but we're saying we don't want to see more bad execution and character assassination. They're gaslighting us like Misha gaslit Claire, from saying she doesn't like Rae's lecherous behavior to being conflated to molestation and homophobia.
Oct 17, 2023 8:37 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Garrett_Dark
@LostSpectre

It was one badly executed scene out of everything being great beforehand, it's probably premature to drop it so far. They made a big deal of Rae telling Claire to treat her as Claire has always done before, and Rae asking Claire if she still "hates" her as a sign things can go back to how it was. So hopefully that is indeed the case, and any other "serious talk" scenes will be better implemented so it doesn't come at the expense/betrayal of characters and plot established up to then.

I wouldn't believe the commenter telling us to drop the show too much, they seem to think everybody being critical of that scene to be prejudice of LGBT or something, when we've all been very explicate at explaining the problems we have with that scene is it's bad execution, and damage/betrayal of the established characters and plot up until that point. They're saying there's more LGBT stuff coming up that we'd be prejudice of, but we're saying we don't want to see more bad execution and character assassination. They're gaslighting us like Misha gaslit Claire, from saying she doesn't like Rae's lecherous behavior to being conflated to molestation and homophobia.
@Garrett_Dark So, I went ahead and read the LN up through episode 3, and it answered some of the questions I had, while giving me many new ones. The anime definitely dives deeper into the comedic angle here, while there's naturally much more expanded upon in the LN. It's not better, but there's more of a grounded tone throughout, despite Rae's constant antics. That particular scene isn't any less out of left field, but there's no ambiguity on Claire's part here, while it appears to be a joke in the anime. I actually have even more issue with that scene in the LN though, because the author establishes a much more homophobic world here than the anime does, but in neither case has this actually been established within the story thus far.

The author wants to make a strange point about how Rae's homosexual behavior is more accepted (in terms of homophobia) when Claire thinks it's a joke or she's being teased, but finding out Rae is actually gay now makes it more serious, and she legitimately fears Rae being aggressive/inappropriate with her, which seems bizarre and unrealistic to me. It gets even stranger when Claire later justifies her prejudice because of how Rae is always behaving towards her, and then Rae (in monologue) actually agrees that her behavior may be problematic if she's making Claire physically uncomfortable, but yet simultaneously finds a way to defend her actions because it's a coping mechanism for the discrimination she's faced, dismissing Rae's actions.

So, in conclusion... both sources are pretty much a clusterfuck when they start shoehorning these serious themes into the narrative.

LostSpectreOct 17, 2023 8:43 PM
Oct 17, 2023 9:02 PM

Feb 2023
Damn...finally a yuri show with an openly gay character. Was that really so hard?!?
Oct 17, 2023 10:18 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to LostSpectre
@Garrett_Dark So, I went ahead and read the LN up through episode 3, and it answered some of the questions I had, while giving me many new ones. The anime definitely dives deeper into the comedic angle here, while there's naturally much more expanded upon in the LN. It's not better, but there's more of a grounded tone throughout, despite Rae's constant antics. That particular scene isn't any less out of left field, but there's no ambiguity on Claire's part here, while it appears to be a joke in the anime. I actually have even more issue with that scene in the LN though, because the author establishes a much more homophobic world here than the anime does, but in neither case has this actually been established within the story thus far.

The author wants to make a strange point about how Rae's homosexual behavior is more accepted (in terms of homophobia) when Claire thinks it's a joke or she's being teased, but finding out Rae is actually gay now makes it more serious, and she legitimately fears Rae being aggressive/inappropriate with her, which seems bizarre and unrealistic to me. It gets even stranger when Claire later justifies her prejudice because of how Rae is always behaving towards her, and then Rae (in monologue) actually agrees that her behavior may be problematic if she's making Claire physically uncomfortable, but yet simultaneously finds a way to defend her actions because it's a coping mechanism for the discrimination she's faced, dismissing Rae's actions.

So, in conclusion... both sources are pretty much a clusterfuck when they start shoehorning these serious themes into the narrative.

@LostSpectre

Very prudent of the of the anime to play up the comedy angle then. I've found the voice acting and animation is helping a lot to make things more comedic and lovable too. The anime did have Rae mention her coping mechanism in her internal monologue when the smack talkers showed up, but she didn't use it to justify her "Claire harassment" actions though, nor say any of this to Claire yet. It's disappointing to hear the LN seems worse, but perhaps the anime is fixing or at least mitigating the problems in the source material then.
Oct 18, 2023 12:30 AM
May 2015
Damn, didn't know there was gonna be this much discourse. Should have grabbed this for my FAL team, damn. 🤣
Oct 18, 2023 8:39 AM

May 2019
Reply to Antagonized
Misha reprimands Claire for being cautious of Rei for being gay, though considering Rei's proactive harassment of her, Claire is probably justified in this case.
@Antagonized
That's how I saw it too, Rae has strait up been harassing Claire although Claire has been bullying Rae but Rae likes it (I called Rae a masochist in an earlier episode). Also, I think that Misha asked this because she probably felt insecure after the card game they all played and the prince she likes was fascinated by Rae.
Oct 18, 2023 10:26 AM
Aug 2021
I loved that they finally got deep this episode. Poor Rae
Oct 18, 2023 12:31 PM

Jan 2011
This anime is doing what a lot of bait anime don't want to do. This shit shouldn't be taboo. Gay people in Japan exist guys. I'm so proud of this show and that discussion was very well done. Also great work by the English dub cast handling this.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Oct 18, 2023 2:50 PM

Aug 2023
Wow I absolutely love the way they address stereotypes in gay vs straight relationships. Definitely one for the girls, we won!!
Oct 18, 2023 3:27 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Garrett_Dark
@LostSpectre

Very prudent of the of the anime to play up the comedy angle then. I've found the voice acting and animation is helping a lot to make things more comedic and lovable too. The anime did have Rae mention her coping mechanism in her internal monologue when the smack talkers showed up, but she didn't use it to justify her "Claire harassment" actions though, nor say any of this to Claire yet. It's disappointing to hear the LN seems worse, but perhaps the anime is fixing or at least mitigating the problems in the source material then.
@Garrett_Dark Yeah, the LN is full on "woke" when it comes to the in your face unabashed pro-LGBT messaging, with seemingly little regard for things like narrative cohesion, foreshadowing, emotional tone, etc. because it's a purposeful decision to slam you over the head with "Are you gay?" and just dive headlong into that. It wants to be loud and woke, it's not trying to incorporate these sort of elements naturally or more organically, and I've been assured there's more to come, and you can obviously expect more LGBT characters to show up. The anime did a good job of condensing that scene and making it a bit more palatable, but essentially, this is clearly not the type of series we would have expected it to be, given that it's a villainess yuri with a silly gimmick. So, I'm sure it will get back to being enjoyable, until the next time it decides to get "real" again more or less.
Oct 18, 2023 3:30 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to avacarrot
Wow I absolutely love the way they address stereotypes in gay vs straight relationships. Definitely one for the girls, we won!!
@avacarrot A little too on the nose when Rae comes awfully close to checking the boxes of said stereotypes Misha was lecturing us on.
Oct 18, 2023 10:51 PM
Aug 2021
The king's game doesn't make any sense.
Rae's dialogue has strong resemblance as that of Ayanokoji from classroom of elite, despite nothing makes sense.
The discussion held by Misha comparing Claire's words towards Rae to "don't molest" doesn't make sense.
I don't know what this anime want. It is neither funny, nor doing the Yuri things right.
Though ep3 would give us character development based on other threads, but man these events straight-up absurd.
Oct 19, 2023 12:54 AM
Aug 2023
Reply to LostSpectre
@Garrett_Dark Yeah, the LN is full on "woke" when it comes to the in your face unabashed pro-LGBT messaging, with seemingly little regard for things like narrative cohesion, foreshadowing, emotional tone, etc. because it's a purposeful decision to slam you over the head with "Are you gay?" and just dive headlong into that. It wants to be loud and woke, it's not trying to incorporate these sort of elements naturally or more organically, and I've been assured there's more to come, and you can obviously expect more LGBT characters to show up. The anime did a good job of condensing that scene and making it a bit more palatable, but essentially, this is clearly not the type of series we would have expected it to be, given that it's a villainess yuri with a silly gimmick. So, I'm sure it will get back to being enjoyable, until the next time it decides to get "real" again more or less.
@LostSpectre

I have no issues of more LGBT characters showing up if they're as well designed as Rae, and fitting the established setting. I may have an issue if more "LGBT preachers" like Misha shows up to be a wet blanket, and derails the flow of the show. I mean seriously Misha had the virtue signaling down pat, she's not LGBT herself but takes offense for Rae who is and when Rae didn't actually take offense from Claire, gaslights everybody into thinking Claire was wrong when she wasn't, didn't let Rae handle things herself ("making jokes is not helpful, Rae!"), and suddenly brings up somebody else's LGBT out of the blue for everybody to gawk at. Actually come to think of it, how is that last one even acceptable? "I'm just going to casually un-closet you, explain yourself! I'm you're best friend so I have the right to know!", not that Rae was being that secretive about it, but still kind of rude on Misha's part. I'm still hoping she turns out to be the true villain of the show, then it'll make all this make sense.

I'm not sure how more LGBT characters would show up though, given the otome game was a straight-centric dating game that didn't offer the player a choice to go the LGBT route, there shouldn't be any LGBT characters around to make an appearance. The game logic still seems to be steering the three love interests to go after the protag despite Rae trying to shake them off of her. The only ways I can think of is if Rae causes characters to realize they're LGBT, or reveal they were LGBT all along but hid it so well that it wasn't apparent in the game, or to have new characters who are LGBT that never appeared in the game show up. Honestly I don't want any new LGBT characters, that's going to steal the focus away from Rae, narratively that's her thing. Also I'd much rather the show get on with the otome game stuff, like how the otome script is going to try to railroad the villainess, and how Rae saves Claire from that fate.
Oct 19, 2023 8:14 AM

Jun 2023
I...was not prepared for the show to get THAT real. Not that I'm complaining, it was very refreshing to see a show like this have such an honest discussion of homosexuality.
Oct 19, 2023 1:59 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Garrett_Dark
@LostSpectre

I have no issues of more LGBT characters showing up if they're as well designed as Rae, and fitting the established setting. I may have an issue if more "LGBT preachers" like Misha shows up to be a wet blanket, and derails the flow of the show. I mean seriously Misha had the virtue signaling down pat, she's not LGBT herself but takes offense for Rae who is and when Rae didn't actually take offense from Claire, gaslights everybody into thinking Claire was wrong when she wasn't, didn't let Rae handle things herself ("making jokes is not helpful, Rae!"), and suddenly brings up somebody else's LGBT out of the blue for everybody to gawk at. Actually come to think of it, how is that last one even acceptable? "I'm just going to casually un-closet you, explain yourself! I'm you're best friend so I have the right to know!", not that Rae was being that secretive about it, but still kind of rude on Misha's part. I'm still hoping she turns out to be the true villain of the show, then it'll make all this make sense.

I'm not sure how more LGBT characters would show up though, given the otome game was a straight-centric dating game that didn't offer the player a choice to go the LGBT route, there shouldn't be any LGBT characters around to make an appearance. The game logic still seems to be steering the three love interests to go after the protag despite Rae trying to shake them off of her. The only ways I can think of is if Rae causes characters to realize they're LGBT, or reveal they were LGBT all along but hid it so well that it wasn't apparent in the game, or to have new characters who are LGBT that never appeared in the game show up. Honestly I don't want any new LGBT characters, that's going to steal the focus away from Rae, narratively that's her thing. Also I'd much rather the show get on with the otome game stuff, like how the otome script is going to try to railroad the villainess, and how Rae saves Claire from that fate.
@Garrett_Dark Ah. I can't say I had considered a lot of those ideas, I guess we'll see. You do have a good point about Misha, that's a private conversation, but it concerns all the characters present, so I guess the author couldn't think of a better way to set it up than to drop a bombshell on the viewer. My point about more LGBT characters showing up was simply to reiterate that this is a progressive work through and through, which may very well indicate more heavy handed moments to come. I think you're right about what you said earlier that the anime will tone things down a bit, even if brevity is the only reason for that. This is also a fairly slow adaptation, at the rate it's going we may not even cover 2 volumes.

Oh, I should mention that Rae does take offense in the LN, so I guess that's an adaptation issue, the anime almost made it seem comedic.

Well, "take offense" probably isn't the right wording, but since the author is making Claire's reaction homophobic, we know it bothers her.

We can obviously debate that Claire has legitimate reason to feel unsafe around Rae if she's a lesbian, but the author clumsily ignores that.
LostSpectreOct 19, 2023 2:39 PM
Oct 21, 2023 12:04 AM

May 2010
The MC is delusional. Lady, people do not find you weird and distasteful purely out of prejudice, it's primarily because you're actually just weird. Maybe if you stopped sexually harassing and touching the people you loved IN PUBLIC, WIHOUT CONSENT, MAYBE people would dislike you less. Her friend is even worse. Why is she preaching here? Has she not seen how her friend has been acting? Yeah you shouldn't treat her like the 2 mobs did, but Claire is 100% in the right in terms of how she treats and acts around Rae.

Plus she's doing it to someone she herself knows has no romantic or sexual interest in her, which makes it even worse. Doesn't really matter tho, people are just gonna chalk it up to "Tehe it's cute and quirky"
TrueUchihaOct 21, 2023 12:15 AM
Oct 21, 2023 12:06 AM

May 2010
Reply to Antagonized
Misha reprimands Claire for being cautious of Rei for being gay, though considering Rei's proactive harassment of her, Claire is probably justified in this case.
@Antagonized Agreed entirely. The entire notion that she shouldn't be wary of someone who has been sexually harassing and touching her inappropriately without consent is "prejudice" and it's only "because she's gay" is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's not like she's Yuuki Rito doing it on accident through gods will or someone elses intervention, she is purposefully touching Claire out of her own free will without consent because she is sexually attracted to her.
Oct 21, 2023 11:52 PM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
This series is surprisingly entertaining. I don't know what you guys think but I enjoy this one. Claire is such a tsundere kind of a girl which I really enjoy.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Oct 22, 2023 5:12 PM

Jan 2022
Interesting that they talked about how Rae was gay. I was not expecting that conversation at all. It was sweet of Claire to defend Rae despite the fact that she was weary about it. So why is everyone in the comment section arguing? I don't get it? Its not that deep, right?
This never updates so that's cool
Oct 23, 2023 10:01 AM
Mar 2021
cooldogmom said:
Interesting that they talked about how Rae was gay. I was not expecting that conversation at all. It was sweet of Claire to defend Rae despite the fact that she was weary about it. So why is everyone in the comment section arguing? I don't get it? Its not that deep, right?

they think the anime is pushing an agenda😭 it's clear most of the people here only watch the usual shonen trope type yuri
Oct 24, 2023 3:03 AM

May 2010
Reply to MrHunterxHunter
cooldogmom said:

they think the anime is pushing an agenda😭 it's clear most of the people here only watch the usual shonen trope type yuri
@MrHunterxHunter Idk if it's "pushing an agenda" in the way we use that term in the west, but you can definitely tell it's the author pushing something since this was very out of nowhere, though it could just be that the anime makes it more out of nowhere compared to the light novel. That being said, I still think it's kinda BS to go on a 5 minute rant about how claire shouldn't treat her differently just because she's gay, while completely ignoring the fact that you definitely should treat Rae differently because she's been sexually harassing her for weeks. The notion that just because she's gay doesn't mean she'd do immortal shit or force herself on Claire (aka gay people aren't sexual deviants) is kinda counteracted by her prior behavior for around 2.5 episodes. This show would have been better off either sticking to being your usual comedy yuri anime that doesn't take itself seriously, or just have been serious from the beginning and drop all the "I'm gonna sexually harass you because I think you're cute haha".
Oct 25, 2023 2:41 PM

Jun 2021
this is the third "king" game seen personally in 2023 after Komi season 2 and Hajimete No Gal, is it really that popular in Japan?

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Nov 27, 2023

61 by PureElusion »»
May 1, 9:58 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Dec 18, 2023

156 by Muow »»
May 1, 12:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 23, 2023

69 by keynutil »»
Apr 18, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AkeZZZ - Oct 30, 2023

67 by AngelTomori »»
Mar 24, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Oshi wa Akuyaku Reijou. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yuyuichi - Dec 11, 2023

79 by Comander-07 »»
Mar 21, 1:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.