Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 1, 2023 11:10 PM
Aug 2021
Zsheepbot05 said:
As a redneck NASCAR fan who wakes up early to see verstapin win for the millionth time in a row I enjoy the first episode of this anime

As someone who believes car racing is the dullest thing to watch as a spectator, I also liked this first episode, so I guess we're in for something good here.
Oct 1, 2023 11:13 PM

Feb 2008
Reply to MadanielFL
For a racing photographer, he surely doesn't know anything about motorsports.
I liked how they used that as a way to teach the audience about the very basics.

So far the show looks good, finally some proper formula racing anime, I can't remember the last time we had one.
@MadanielFL I think he was a paparazzi before because, looking back at the episode, there was a glimpse of Twitter X with tweets implying that the person(s) he took a picture of may have been in an accident while he didn't help and instead just took a photo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This feels like an anime more catered to racing fans, but I like the idea that they chose an MC who doesn't know racing to give the non-racing fans insight.

AND... seeing Dunlop corner in an anime just gave me goosebumps. It is one of my favorite curves in F1, BUT it did bring some bad memories of Jules Bianchi's fatal accident. 😔 I watched it live on TV, and it was just a painful memory to remember. Death is one of the realities of racing and hopefully they will feature glimpses of that in this series.
KimRiParkOct 1, 2023 11:24 PM
Oct 2, 2023 12:03 AM

Mar 2010
I really like Kouya so far! Not sure about the other characters, hope that can change. Overall fun episode.
Oct 2, 2023 2:00 AM

Apr 2020
That was a pretty great way to start and make things interesting. We haven't got much from the main protag yet other than he acts cold for some reason, but he gets emotional about losing a race, implying some sort of motivation we have yet to see.
So far, we only got to see things that the POV MC Kouya saw, plus a glimpse of his presumably own hardships as well.
The animation CGI animations looked quite plain and boring at times but, they looked quite good when it mattered the most which was during the race. The character animation on the other hand looked quite solid, IMO.

I'm hoping they handle the characters very well since this kind of Anime tends to rely heavily on the emotional drive-- no pun intended-- rather than the sports theme itself.
"I will use my ball to make you remember." -- Haruka Kiyomine, 2024
Oct 2, 2023 4:04 AM
May 2023
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the first episode! I'm putting it on hold for now until I've decided what out of the season lineup I want to definitely continue, but really I thought it was a fun first episode. I particularly like how people are animated, their movements are very eye-catching. I also liked how accessible it was to someone who went in knowing nothing about f4 (me, lol)
Oct 2, 2023 4:38 AM

Sep 2018
It was ok, I didn't like the way they explained yellow flags and safety cars.
Everyone knows what they are, they might as well have explain that the guy who comes first wins the race.
Oct 2, 2023 5:38 AM
Oct 2023
Motorsport enthusiast 👍🏼
Oct 2, 2023 6:48 AM
Apr 2017
I am not satisfied. The pacing is very slow, it starts with infodump, visually, the racing looks realistic with car designs and the engine sound, but also boring. I waited a long time for this and can't say I am happy. It needs to improve the pace in the next episodes.
Oct 2, 2023 7:30 AM
Dec 2015
so many brands in this anime. another sport racing anime, after mf ghost 🥰
Oct 2, 2023 8:28 AM

Jan 2017
This looks lit! And I really like Haruka's face lol. Lezgoooo
Oct 2, 2023 9:10 AM

Nov 2017
Fan of motorsports, especially F1 and lower categories such as F4, I'm delighted to finally see an anime about the automotive world, specifically showcasing F4, gaining prominence after the success of the GP Explorer (an event organized by the French YouTuber Squeezie)! The CGI is decent, but we will have to see it in a longer sequence.

Oct 2, 2023 9:45 AM

Jun 2021
The first episode piqued my interest despite being new to a racing theme. I might like this one.
Oct 2, 2023 12:19 PM
Dec 2017
As a fan of single seater racing series I have high hopes. The series seems to take these racing series seriously so far. And the quality was better than expected, hope it's gonna stay after the first episode.
Oct 2, 2023 12:39 PM
Sep 2022
as a fan of motorsport i must say that it is quite refreshing to see an anime with Formula 4/open-wheel car theme.
Oct 2, 2023 2:32 PM

May 2018
A proper first episode. We learn well what it is about and what we should expect. The art is nice, too.
Now, even when I get disappointed by that new Initial D anime, I'll have this.

Oct 2, 2023 3:08 PM

Apr 2015
As a motorsport fan, I am eating good this season with Overtake and MF Ghost. Love how the episode laid down the foundation of racing as well, with tyres, flag rules etc etc. Not that I needed it, but for an unknown viewer it's good to know. Curious to hear more about the story of the photographer. Now let's hope that the show's direction will keep it as realistic as possible and not have events happen that have my eyes roll XD
Oct 2, 2023 3:35 PM

May 2018
It's Aldnoah.Zero all over again.
Great visuals, but totally moronic dialogues, characterisation and writing in general - from it the only parts which make sense to me are the racing trivia infodumps.
Oct 2, 2023 3:56 PM
Aug 2021
yea this is hard, looking forward to the next ep
Oct 2, 2023 4:26 PM
Jul 2021
not bad but could be better
Oct 2, 2023 4:38 PM

Oct 2017
Interesting in the beginning. Thought the MC was going to be the driver but instead it was the camera guy.
I really want to see how far this anime goes.
Oct 2, 2023 4:42 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
As a NASCAR and F1 fan, I'm all over this anime although I never sat through an F4 race since its not televised. The anime seems to focus on a washed up photographer who has been assigned to cover Super GT, but stumbles into the world of Formula car racing which is something he doesn't know anything about. I guess the anime will cover the photographers past in a later episode. They did a good job of covering the basics racing like formation laps, flags, and the safety/pace cars. The CGI animation of the race scenes were really smooth.
Oct 2, 2023 6:41 PM
Apr 2021
A great way to indroduce someone to motorsport world, the end of the episode was heartbreaking, it shows how difficult is to compite in races.
Just hoping not listening the holland national theme twice a week LMAO
Oct 3, 2023 2:33 AM

Mar 2008
Mostly all introductory here so kind of slow at parts but felt like it was nicely done.

I guess Madoka has some sort of PTSD from some accident that happened out on the water.
Oct 3, 2023 2:55 AM

Jul 2009
Reply to traed
Mostly all introductory here so kind of slow at parts but felt like it was nicely done.

I guess Madoka has some sort of PTSD from some accident that happened out on the water.
@traed Probably some sort of survivior's guilt, he captured an accident and people were outraged why would he take pictures instead of helping. That's why trying to take pictures of other people is giving him anxiety.
Oct 3, 2023 3:25 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to ame-furi
@traed Probably some sort of survivior's guilt, he captured an accident and people were outraged why would he take pictures instead of helping. That's why trying to take pictures of other people is giving him anxiety.
@ame-furi
Or his camera flash caused an accident.
Oct 3, 2023 3:54 AM

Jul 2009
Reply to traed
@ame-furi
Or his camera flash caused an accident.
@traed People criticized him for not trying to save someone. Maybe he was a paparazzi, it wouldn't be surprising that he witnessed a tragedy and was only taking pictures for profit and didn't care about people's lives.
Oct 3, 2023 5:52 AM
Oct 2021
idk if its on purpose but i love that it airs on sundays, it adds to the racing theme haha
Oct 3, 2023 6:58 AM
Sep 2021
Never watched a racing anime before from what I watched it was good, the storytelling, the characters, the animation and art style were all good. Let's see how it progresses.
Oct 3, 2023 11:16 AM

May 2015
Haru, who can race alone… hmm, hmm, I wonder, where I've seen that before. xd

Anyway, it looks more interesting than I thought. The approach of telling a story from the point of view of photographer with PTSD is quite refreshing. It allows to tell a story on a bigger scale, rather than the usual path of a talented but underdog protagonist. The show still seems biased because MC chose to cheer on this Haru guy, but we aren't just faced with a straightforward goal to overtake in sports, but there's way more to the story yet to be uncovered.

Could be just another motivational anime about discovering how to do your best, but it isn't a bad thing either.
Oct 3, 2023 11:29 AM
Feb 2021
The pacing of the first episode is very smooth.
Oct 3, 2023 2:00 PM

Aug 2013
Speed Grapher and Initial D mix it seems. Just missing the super powers now.

This show could work out depending on the scenes are balanced and the story is told.

Assuming for now that the photographer is the MC, or will it shift towards the racer?
Oct 3, 2023 4:43 PM
Jan 2023
looks promising, pretty realistic so far
Oct 3, 2023 4:47 PM

Sep 2021
Good thing they explained so much. I know a lot about Horse Racing and Mario Kart, but I don't have a clue about Car racing and it's quite different.

Best part about this episode was probably the visuals and atmosphere. It really felt like being at the track or the paddock.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much time left for character development, so they're a bit bland for now and therefor the race wasn't that exciting.

But perhaps it was primarily for the growth of Kouda, who seems to have some trauma from taking an inappropriate picture?

Overall a decent premiere. Let's see where the plot will go.
Oct 3, 2023 4:51 PM

May 2019
This is my first racing and F1-type anime I've watched and so far I'm intrigued. I noticed many real life sponsors such as Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. which adds to the realism. I had no idea there there is more than just an F1 level, such as F4 which is the focus in this episode.

Not sure if that was ok for Koya to take a picture of Haruka crying as I figure Haruka would get more upset if he saw Koya doing that but I'm sure he captured the emotion at least.
Oct 3, 2023 5:59 PM
Dec 2014
Adoro F1! Então é obvio que iria adorar o anime.
Oct 3, 2023 8:22 PM
Feb 2019
muito foda maneiro demais estou overtakezado
Oct 4, 2023 3:50 AM
Oct 2020
The struggle of an underfunded team trying to compete. Its nothing brand spanking new but a relatable situation. So far the details are nice like the Tyres laying in the sun to heat up in the F4 championship. (F1 and other series have Tyre warming blankets.) I get that the series over explains Safety Car and Yellow Flag procedures but it gets tedious when you are already familiar with Motor Racing. Overall is the first Episode quiet interesting and entertaining.

The big negatives are definitely some of the Animations. The Racing scenes look like it comes straight from 1998-1999 after Initial D has Pioneered the CGI Vehicle animations. Compared to the alongside Airing of MF Ghost it really does not look good when it comes to the Vehicles. But some things throw me off as some things look shoehorned in. Take the 2 scenes with focus on the Tires and camera Movement, they have the F4 logos on them and it lags like a frame behind in moving so it jitters a little. (The F4 Japan championship tyres don't have the F4 Logos on the IRL.)

To end on a Positive note, I will look foreward to what will come next as specific things can be deduced when you know the sport. I was watching with another Motorsport nut and we both agree that the Racing itself is well choreographed and cut. (you don't loose the directions and actions.) As well as the fact that we both started to wonder how he could keep up and then we both knew, it was how we thought. It is fun for me as a Motorsport nut but also for people new to the Sport.

spoilers from this point onwards:

We looked at it and guessed that he must be overdriving the Tyres and raise the Tyre Deg and Tyre heat to a point where a structural failure is likely.
Oct 4, 2023 4:28 PM

Aug 2016
Pretty average but I like the character designs and the photographer’s trauma adds something.
Oct 4, 2023 8:53 PM
Apr 2009
I liked the episode. But I don't know... this is smelling to an Yaoi Story... not fan of the genre but it's ok...
Oct 4, 2023 9:02 PM

Aug 2019
I’m a fan of Formula 1 so I’m actually thrilled that we got this new anime about Formula 4!! Haru, we have so many Harus in sport anime lol.

I wanted to say that Satsuki is like Charles just because he’s wearing red lol, but his personality is nothing like him.

Their team reminds me of Williams racing lmao.
Sun_ChanOct 4, 2023 9:06 PM
Oct 4, 2023 10:35 PM

Feb 2013
Cool introduction to Formula racing, authentic, good animation for racing anime.
Oct 5, 2023 6:15 AM
May 2020
Good charactor animation!
Oct 5, 2023 9:53 AM

Mar 2018
Off to a really strong start. I really appreciated all the accurate real-world details, like letting the tires warm in the sun since they don't use tire warmers in F4. The brands featured everywhere at real-world Fuji Circuit really sell the authenticity. I also think it's a wise choice to make the protagonist a complete outsider looking in to the world of open wheel feeder-series racing, rather than following Haruka as the main character.

Additionally, I was not expecting this show to have the emotional core that it seems like it's going to. I was expecting a pretty standard and shallow sports anime, but doesn't seem to be the case based on the pilot here.

What remains to be seen is how well they translate the drama of racing itself, the brief racing we were shown in this episode was a nice appetizer for what is surely to come.
Oct 5, 2023 9:55 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to KANLen09
A TROYCA sports series, hopefully this is not as bad as Lay-Duce's horse racing Fanfare, which sucked bad.

The freelance photographer Koya Madoka goes to the racetrack, accompanied by his chief editor Saeko Yukihira, he's there to catch all of the action for the Super GT. Especially the sport that's making all of the traction: Formula 4 a.k.a F4, of which his friend Noritsune Ena is the owner of a race team, along with the talented new star of Satsuki Harunaga and Toshiki Tokumaru. F4 at the very least is for the enthusiastic, and the beef of the two between Haruka "Chicane" Asahina and his mechanic Koutarou Komaki is one for the ages.

For Koya, this brings up a past issue, though privateers like Komaki Motors having Haruka are hoping to be noticed by the big guns to race progressively in the future. This brings Koya to the F4 racetrack where its team owner Futoshi Komaki shows him around, especially focusing on their only driver Haruka. Everything works just like F1 rules, and TROYCA's animation is smooth and swift. But Haruka hit a snag after his tyres went out due to wear and tear, and Koya's fate changed right then and there to give his full support for Komaki Motors.

OOF, this show has competition with MF Ghost this season, ON THE SAME DAY. Hope it'll be good competition.
KANLen09 said:

OOF, this show has competition with MF Ghost this season.

Competition, maybe, but I see this as eating good this season for the motorsports people like myself. I haven't been this excited about an anime season in years and its 100% because both of these shows are airing
owarida6Oct 5, 2023 11:04 AM
Oct 5, 2023 10:01 AM

Mar 2018
Reply to Animaticide
While technically F4, this is the most exciting and endearing F1 racing has ever looked on-screen. Since 30 minutes ago you could have never conviced me that a formula-whatever anything could be entertaining to watch but consider me converted (to this show, actual F1 is still boring as hell)
@Animaticide
Animaticide said:
While technically F4, this is the most exciting and endearing F1 racing has ever looked on-screen. Since 30 minutes ago you could have never conviced me that a formula-whatever anything could be entertaining to watch but consider me converted (to this show, actual F1 is still boring as hell)

If you liked this first episode, I might suggest you consider checking out Netflix's Drive to Survive series. It does a really good job of illustrating why F1 is compelling, namely the "characters" - mostly the drivers and the team principles. They each have their own situations, their own histories and aspirations, their own conflicts. Many of them are endearing, some of them you'll want to root against. And once you care about who these people are, it makes what happens on the track compelling, because they aren't just 20 different-colored cars driving around in a circle, they're people you care about to different levels, and what happens out there materially impacts them.

Anyway, consider giving it a shot. I'm not saying you'll be converted into someone who gets up at 6am to watch the European-time races on a Sunday, but you may find it interesting and compelling or give you a different appreciation for F1 (and F2, as it sometimes follows some of the up-and-coming talent through the feeder series, like Yuki Tsunoda)
Oct 5, 2023 4:52 PM

Jan 2022
Nice opening episode. The animation was fluid and expressive although I wish the cars weren’t done in 3D and that there was a proper ED sequence. I was glad that there was some explanation given about the sport since I’m an outsider to this sort of thing.

Oct 5, 2023 7:32 PM
Mar 2014
Very well done.
Quite different than MF Ghost / Initial D, but it's great never the less.

instead of being presented as a story, it's being presented from the F4 (Super GT) motor sport point of view, with just a tad of personal stories to spice up the anime.
Oct 6, 2023 7:02 AM
Mar 2023
nice race, nice cars
Oct 6, 2023 10:25 AM

Apr 2015
Beautiful design, intriguing characters, some chemistry already. I like how its from the POV of a photographer. A really solid start.
Oct 6, 2023 11:15 AM
Aug 2023
I am a huge fan of racing and this episode cover it love the show and the first episode
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2023

79 by JNFuruba »»
Apr 21, 5:49 AM

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2023

51 by demonreaper24 »»
Apr 19, 9:48 AM

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2023

77 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 18, 9:17 AM

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2023

54 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 18, 8:35 AM

Poll: » Overtake! Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2023

43 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 22, 4:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.