Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2023 9:18 PM

Mar 2017
By what standard is the creative staff being considered western? The director Abel Gongora has lived in Japan for 10 years so I'm assuming he's a Japanese citizen, that seems like a pretty important part of the creative staff

Oct 4, 2023 9:08 AM
Jan 2009
Did they remove Scott Pilgrim? Absolute idiocy. Lmao I hope the mods don't find out about other anime that happen to have a non-Japanese staff member or adapt a western work. Half of Ghibli would be removed.
Oct 15, 2023 9:39 AM

Dec 2019
How exactly does it not meet MAL guidelines for what can go in the database? AFAIK it does, the only thing about it is that it adapts a Western property, and even with that there are plenty of anime in here that do the same thing.
Oct 15, 2023 9:56 AM

Jan 2017
KayY_Y said:
How exactly does it not meet MAL guidelines for what can go in the database?

The whole producer committee aside from the Animation studio and the main director (who's a staff in the Animation studio) is American.
There is not enough people from Japan involved in the creation of the project to be labelled as made by them.

KayY_Y said:
the only thing about it is that it adapts a Western property

The origin of the source material is irrelevant.
Other entries are either done by Japanese companies , or are joint-production with a majority of the staff involved being Japanese.

Marids_Gift said:
The director Abel Gongora has lived in Japan for 10 years so I'm assuming he's a Japanese citizen

From what i can see , he still has his Spanish nationality.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 15, 2023 11:20 AM

Mar 2017
Reply to Alexioos95
KayY_Y said:

The whole producer committee aside from the Animation studio and the main director (who's a staff in the Animation studio) is American.
There is not enough people from Japan involved in the creation of the project to be labelled as made by them.

KayY_Y said:

Other entries are either done by Japanese companies , or are joint-production with a majority of the staff involved being Japanese.

Marids_Gift said:
The director Abel Gongora has lived in Japan for 10 years so I'm assuming he's a Japanese citizen

@Alexioos95 one of the executive producers and the director both represent science saru, MAL has never made clear guidelines on nationality

Oct 15, 2023 11:36 AM

Jan 2017
Marids_Gift said:
MAL has never made clear guidelines on nationality

True.

You should send a DM to a database mods.
They have little presence in the forums , and they will be able to give you a better answer than random users like us.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 15, 2023 11:47 AM

Mar 2017
Reply to Alexioos95
Marids_Gift said:
MAL has never made clear guidelines on nationality

True.

You should send a DM to a database mods.
They have little presence in the forums , and they will be able to give you a better answer than random users like us.
@Alexioos95 I want to wait until we have the full staff list so I can best make my case

Oct 15, 2023 12:02 PM

Nov 2017
Reply to Alexioos95
KayY_Y said:

KayY_Y said:

Marids_Gift said:

The show's opening credits say otherwise. https://twitter.com/MattHades/status/1713556130289373560 Yes, most of the producers are from the west, but that's because the show is based on a Hollywood movie. These people usually have to be involved with the production due to their original involvement with the source material. The majority of the lead creative positions are filled by people in the anime industry, which also includes Abel Góngora.
Oct 15, 2023 2:03 PM

Jan 2012
Reply to Marids_Gift
@Alexioos95 I want to wait until we have the full staff list so I can best make my case
@Marids_Gift Full staff is here:

https://x.com/silkalmondspilk/status/1713586602763563244?s=20

All the creative staff except the showrunners are Japanese or affiliated with Japanese studios, like Gongora or Choi, who've been working in the anime industry for years. Both are pretty much founding members of Science Saru, been there since the beginning.
Oct 15, 2023 2:05 PM

Jan 2012
Also, if this can't be added because of Gongora's nationality (which is incredibly stupid), then why things directed by Michael Arias, Thomas LeSean or Thomas Romain are in the database? Don't contradict yourselves, please. Especially since Gongora has been a part of Science Saru since its beginnings in 2013. I don't think he's ever even worked on western animation.
Oct 15, 2023 4:02 PM
Jan 2018
Yeah, as Ukloim said above, since the OP has been “released”, we can see the credits and, now, we can say that the staff is almost fully japanese, not been outsourced to anywhere else.

And it was obvious since the start that this would be like that lol
Oct 15, 2023 4:06 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Isn't this done by Science Saru, put it on the DB. I need it in my favorite, yesterday!
Oct 21, 2023 4:26 AM
Feb 2018
Reply to orangeteespin
The show's opening credits say otherwise. https://twitter.com/MattHades/status/1713556130289373560 Yes, most of the producers are from the west, but that's because the show is based on a Hollywood movie. These people usually have to be involved with the production due to their original involvement with the source material. The majority of the lead creative positions are filled by people in the anime industry, which also includes Abel Góngora.
@orangeteespin It's a more direct adaptation of the Canadian comic book. I believe this will be the first anime set in Toronto.
Oct 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Nov 2017
Reply to shadyhawkins
@orangeteespin It's a more direct adaptation of the Canadian comic book. I believe this will be the first anime set in Toronto.
@shadyhawkins O'Malley has emphasized several times over the course of the project that Scott Pilgrim Takes Off is not a direct adaptation of either the comic or the movie. Despite this, the marketing for the series has relied heavily on its connections to the Edgar Wright adaptation. I have no doubt that the show will lift elements and scenes from the comic that the film was unable to, but said film is an undeniable foundation that this series is building off of.
Oct 31, 2023 2:23 PM
Feb 2018
Reply to orangeteespin
@shadyhawkins O'Malley has emphasized several times over the course of the project that Scott Pilgrim Takes Off is not a direct adaptation of either the comic or the movie. Despite this, the marketing for the series has relied heavily on its connections to the Edgar Wright adaptation. I have no doubt that the show will lift elements and scenes from the comic that the film was unable to, but said film is an undeniable foundation that this series is building off of.
@orangeteespin oh interesting. Did not know that. Makes sense considering the comic has a decent time length and the anime is only 8 eps. Probably gonna be pretty condensed.
Oct 31, 2023 2:37 PM
Sep 2014
They need to just approve this and move on, cause its something we all know should be in here. I want this added to my Database, and I'll be angry unless I get my way. You DON'T want to see me Angry.
Nov 17, 2023 4:12 AM
Feb 2015
started watching this and honestly, despite the English voice cast (and there's a Japanese dub too) this is 100% an anime production, you just have to watch it to see that it's so clearly made by Science Saru, plus it's basically a new original story rather than a traditional adaptation of the comics. They gotta add it to the MAL database.
Nov 17, 2023 7:50 AM
Dec 2018
MAL is stupid and vague rules and guidelines. I don't get what's harm in adding all animations works since by definition everything animated is anime. There are so many great shows which don't have their own database and often clubbed with live action shows and movies. Or just launch myanimationlist.net already.
Nov 17, 2023 7:52 AM

Jul 2010
Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Okay
Star Wars Visions
Okay
SuperCrooks
Okay
Scott Pilgrim
Nah bro

???
Nov 17, 2023 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
https://imgur.com/a/dwXQcZT production staff is mostly Japanese, it is anime
Nov 17, 2023 10:25 AM

Nov 2015
Reply to TheMangaManiac
Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Okay
Star Wars Visions
Okay
SuperCrooks
Okay
Scott Pilgrim
Nah bro

???
@TheMangaManiac

yeah it's silly. Science SARU is a japanese studio on MAL.

https://www.sciencesaru.com/works
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Nov 17, 2023 11:27 AM
Feb 2022
My Last Day should also be added. It is an anime made by a Japanese anime studio. Add Scott Pilgrim and My Last Day MAL!
Nov 17, 2023 2:53 PM
Nov 2019
Finished it last night and over all feels pretty fresh to what has already been done the Scott Pilgrim franchise but overall I’d say it’s a 7.0 out of 10 if that.

Should be added. No reason not to add it with series like Star Wars Vision been okay.
Nov 17, 2023 3:52 PM

Feb 2014
It is asinine that Scott is not added to the database. Science SARU animated it for crying out loud! There are so many joint productions on MAL such as Afro Samurai, it makes zero sense for Scott to be excluded.
Nov 18, 2023 12:13 AM

Oct 2022
Yeah I don't see how this is much different than the Yasuke anime. This anime should be listed on the site.
Nov 18, 2023 12:36 PM

Apr 2021
Its not on here because we aren't allowed to have good things
Nov 18, 2023 1:37 PM
Feb 2019
Now that I think it, the most akin case is RWBY... like pretty much the same thing aside from the tendency in the artstyle, and that got approved within a blink.
Nov 18, 2023 1:39 PM
Jul 2015
i added it to the database and am seeing if the mods will approve it cuz they should
Nov 18, 2023 1:56 PM
Feb 2022
Reply to Leafpenguin
i added it to the database and am seeing if the mods will approve it cuz they should
@Leafpenguin If they approve it, they also need to approve My Last Day and Otachan. There is no reason why these shows shouldn't be added.
Nov 18, 2023 7:04 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to TheMangaManiac
Cyberpunk Edgerunners
Okay
Star Wars Visions
Okay
SuperCrooks
Okay
Scott Pilgrim
Nah bro

???
@TheMangaManiac ALL of which deserve to be here. Idk why the mods are being hard asses just because this is more popular.
Nov 23, 2023 12:58 PM

Jun 2020
Japanese studio made it, for that alone its an anime and should be on MAL. By definition it deserves it far more than most of the Korean and Chinese animation listed on the site that is there just cause "its eastern asian and we cant bother splitting into My Aeni List and My Donghua List".

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Nov 23, 2023 4:43 PM

May 2015
Reply to Technopunk
Japanese studio made it, for that alone its an anime and should be on MAL. By definition it deserves it far more than most of the Korean and Chinese animation listed on the site that is there just cause "its eastern asian and we cant bother splitting into My Aeni List and My Donghua List".
@Technopunk That's actually a pretty good point.

But yeah, it's by no means even the first anime that was made with a western audience in mind (not that it was intended EXCLUSIVELY for a western audience, but it was hugely intended for western as well). Definitely think it should be included.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Nov 25, 2023 12:24 PM
Nov 2023
I've lurked on this site for quite a while, and honestly only made this account to say this has to be one of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen in general.

It's not even like the show is a straight, screen for screen, remake of the source material. At best it takes the characters personalities, with direction/input from the source creators, and puts them in completely new situations. It's a semi-original storyline, with what seems to be the majority of the creative staff being either Japanese or employees of Japanese animation companies.

Is Vinland Saga not anime because it's characters are all Nordic? There's literally at least several anime based on Shakespear's Romeo & Juliet on here as well, so the source material shouldn't matter. So why is Scott Pilgrim not anime because it's based in Canada, or that's where the original writer of the source material is from. Other's have already linked to several "anime" on here that were made almost entirely for Western audiences, so that argument doesn't work either.

BiasBuddhaNov 25, 2023 12:35 PM
Nov 25, 2023 9:07 PM

Feb 2015
Even if i agree that it should be here(there are several western shows here already), but the writing had nothing with Science Saru's staff, it was all done by O'Malley and BenDavid Grabinski.

MAL might as well stop making these distinctions and accept everything.
SteelingMaxNov 25, 2023 10:16 PM

Nov 25, 2023 11:14 PM

Nov 2017
baffled this isn't on here yet

actually stupid bro wtf
"Leonardo... it wasn't, by any means, only your eyes that we welcomed into Libra."
- Klaus von Reinherz
Nov 25, 2023 11:15 PM

Nov 2017
yes, have afro samurai and all the chinese and korean animated shows on here but god forbid scott pilgrim is on here
"Leonardo... it wasn't, by any means, only your eyes that we welcomed into Libra."
- Klaus von Reinherz
Nov 26, 2023 1:12 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to SteelingMax
Even if i agree that it should be here(there are several western shows here already), but the writing had nothing with Science Saru's staff, it was all done by O'Malley and BenDavid Grabinski.

MAL might as well stop making these distinctions and accept everything.
@SteelingMax

"the writing had nothing to do with Science Saru's staff"

You just argued that multiple Studio Ghibli films which were adapted from western works need to be removed from MAL.

Howl's Moving Castle

Tales from Earthsea

The Secret World of Arrietty

When Marnie Was There

Suggesting that any of these 4 films can't be considered anime because they are too closely adapted from western stories is laughable. SPTO was written by the original author, yes. It also involves licensing from a host of western production studios because it is an adaptation of not only the original comic but also the Edgar Wright film - every western Executive Producer per IMDB was also a producer, writer, or director for the 2010 film Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. However, the actual animation production of the show (including directing and all animation production steps) was done entirely by Science SARU and nobody has presented compelling evidence that they were not the primary creative force on the project after being presented with the script.

By every metric this was a Japanese-lead production with the exception of the script and initial casting choices. And the contradictions being presented by the MAL staff should disqualify multiple other projects that have never been previously questioned. When the arguments for rejecting SPTO start implicating that Studio Ghibli projects don't qualify as anime, the arguemnts need to be acknowledged as indefensible from the start.
Nov 26, 2023 8:23 AM
Jul 2014
If we're going to pick favorites here like on VNDB, then I'll leave for a different site that lets me track every anime I watch and not just the ones the staff thinks are
Nov 26, 2023 10:06 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to The12thGripper
If we're going to pick favorites here like on VNDB, then I'll leave for a different site that lets me track every anime I watch and not just the ones the staff thinks are
@The12thGripper AniList has Scott Pilgrim in their database, thats about as far as I know. Does it have every anime you watch and not just the ones staff thinks are? I dunno really, but at least in this one specific case they are better than MAL. At least you can transfer your list there from MAL with ease, so it wont be a hard move.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Nov 28, 2023 6:13 AM

Jun 2016
Saw it yesterday and I'm pretty pleased that there is no place for this show on MAL - subpar cash-grab by netflix
Nov 28, 2023 11:57 AM

Nov 2017
Reply to KnightmareNEKO
Saw it yesterday and I'm pretty pleased that there is no place for this show on MAL - subpar cash-grab by netflix
@KnightmareNEKO whether you like it or not it should be here, it is anime
- Klaus von Reinherz
Dec 1, 2023 8:52 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to KnightmareNEKO
@KnightmareNEKO

Bad opinion, leave
Dec 2, 2023 4:49 AM
Jan 2020
Ah yes, good thing better services like AniList exist :)
Dec 13, 2023 11:09 AM
Feb 2017
Common MAL L
Dec 26, 2023 8:00 AM
Feb 2020
Mar 28, 11:27 AM

Jan 2017
All that should matter is the studio. If the primary studio is Japanese/Chinese/Korean, it's anime and belongs on here.

Scott Pilgrim --> Science SARU --> Japan --> should be on MAL
Howl's Moving Castle --> Studio Ghibli --> Japan --> should be on MAL
Avatar/Korra --> Nickelodeon --> USA --> should not be on MAL
Castlevania --> Powerhouse Animation --> USA --> should not be on MAL

It should not be this hard.
Mar 31, 3:39 AM

Aug 2014
anidb has now decided that it is anime. Hopefully MAL mods get their heads out of their asses and add it here as well.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8688 by Kai_JackBox »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

682 by eblf2013 »»
9 hours ago

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.